Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Tasteful Friends, don't hold back

At least the haters of stacked books will be in heaven.

by Anonymousreply 6301/18/2013

Huxley Somerville

Managing Director at Fitch Ratings

by Anonymousreply 101/16/2013

I'll be goddamned if New Yorkers don't have some of the ugliest dwellings in the civilized world.

by Anonymousreply 201/16/2013

Wow, that's ugly. And who the hell wants to live in only 425 square feet? Only a New Yorker.

by Anonymousreply 301/16/2013

Actually I think they performed a miracle with only 425 sf.

by Anonymousreply 401/16/2013

Dark brown and pastel aqua isn't what I'd call a "miracle," r4.

by Anonymousreply 501/16/2013

If you could read English, R3, you'd have noted that they don't "live" there. It is only a pied-à-terre in the city. What's your New York apartment like -- you know, the one you have for those times when the opera doesn't get out till after midnight?

by Anonymousreply 601/16/2013

I think I like it better "before".

by Anonymousreply 701/16/2013

Looks much larger than 425 square feet. I like the chocolate and turquoise, although it's cliche.

Clean and light. And with outdoor space.

I like it even if it's a bit antiseptic.

by Anonymousreply 801/16/2013

I like it too.

Our studio is 450 square feet. It's how we live.

by Anonymousreply 901/16/2013

The second staircase that leads to the coffin-sized pasture, I think, is a waste of space. I would have preferred the floor space next to the bed and nailed a ladder along the wall (Home Depot $20) for those wanting to scramble up.

But I'm something of a hick.

by Anonymousreply 1001/16/2013

I like it even if the look is cliched.

My only problem is the bed being directly over the kitchen. But if I was single and living in NYC this would be fine.

by Anonymousreply 1101/16/2013

Meh, its clean and tasteful, but I wonder; was it more fabulous before?

by Anonymousreply 1201/16/2013

I love all of these small space redesigns. I wouldn't mind staying there; it looks like a great hotel room at the very least.

by Anonymousreply 1301/17/2013

R10, it's hard to carry a cocktail tray or breakfast up a ladder.

by Anonymousreply 1401/17/2013

serial killer chic

by Anonymousreply 1501/17/2013

Not horrible.

by Anonymousreply 1601/17/2013

It's gorgeous, actually. A bit antiseptic, but gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 1701/17/2013

If they threw in just a bit of texture...

by Anonymousreply 1801/17/2013

I don't generally like the use of plants, but this needs plants. And maybe a bit of artwork?

by Anonymousreply 1901/17/2013

Well r12, they do show some of the before pictures in the slideshow. It was decidedly dated and awful.

I think it's a great space for one person, but I could not imagine living there as a couple. If it was a larger loft & square footage in general, I could understand it, but that place is pretty tiny.

by Anonymousreply 2001/17/2013

What a horrid place to live. Why do people spend so much money to have no space to live in?

by Anonymousreply 2101/17/2013

Echo chamber.

by Anonymousreply 2201/17/2013

Looks like an Ikea showroom or a hotel. Blandly anonymous contemporary and it's way too much 'of the moment' rather than classic or expressing ANY personal taste whatsoever.

In 10 years those pics will look as dated as this, which was once thought sophisticated and au courant.

by Anonymousreply 2301/17/2013

It's not bad for what it is, but calling it a "hotel room" is very accurate. There isn't a trace of the owners' taste or personality anywhere to be found.

by Anonymousreply 2401/17/2013

Hideous and looked much better before. I love the space, however.

by Anonymousreply 2501/17/2013

[quote] Looks like an Ikea showroom or a hotel. Blandly anonymous contemporary and it's way too much 'of the moment' rather than classic or expressing ANY personal taste whatsoever.

Agreed. There's too much effort and expense and calculation involved to get a pass as a casual coming together of things for a small pied-a-terre. Yet the effort and expense and calculation are insufficient to achieve any real end -- even a finished product that I might dislike.

As it is it does look like a barely 3-star bare-bones wannabe boutique hotel in Bulgaria -- one of those B&B dreams of a wanderlust-stricken, money-challenged couples on HGTV's House Hunters International (newlyweds who want to finance their move to Cartagena by taking in a few unsuspecting tourists.) For all the aspirations of modern luxury, it has all the quality and distinction of Ikea flat pack goods.

by Anonymousreply 2601/17/2013

I like the actual things they did with the space. Love the living room. I'm into modern furniture/design and I think their choices are OK.

I'm just not a fan of EVERY surface being white. I realize that it works to make the room look larger. But I think it drowns it in a blur of sameness.

Our developer did the same in our place and I don't like it. Too much white and marble/gray everywhere. I think it ages badly (the look).

by Anonymousreply 2701/17/2013

Looks like one of those staged IKEA spaces.

Too bad they felt the need to rip out the classic brick.

This city and most of the people in it have absolutely no respect for pre-war architecture. It's ALL about glass this and lamanant that and "statement" colors against white and, of course, stacked books.

Exposed brick is lovely and so are things like wooden steps and railings.

Bloomberg has help destroy the city as well by encouraging the destruction of pre war buildings. The city on track to look like fucking Tokyo by decade's end.

by Anonymousreply 2801/17/2013

[quote] Too bad they felt the need to rip out the classic brick... Exposed brick is lovely and so are things like wooden steps and railings.

[quote] Bloomberg has help destroy the city as well by encouraging the destruction of pre war buildings.

They didn't rip out "the classic brick"; they painted it. Exposed brick is an affectation of the late 1970s and later. It is not an original aesthetic feature because it was absolutely intended to be covered by plaster. Only in factories and industrial buildings were interior brick walls SOMETIMES left uncovered by plaster. (The wooden steps and balustrade, though preferable in my mind to the reworked stair, were not remotely historic features -- losing them wasn't exactly Penn Station all over again.)

As for the desecration of pre-war Manhattan (and as an architectural historian), this place is no better or worse than it was before it came into the present owner's hands.

by Anonymousreply 2901/17/2013

[quote]The wooden steps and balustrade, though preferable in my mind to the reworked stair, were not remotely historic features -- losing them wasn't exactly Penn Station all over again.

Marry me.

by Anonymousreply 3001/17/2013

What is it with the pretentious people and stark white? Do they go into hospitals for decorating ideas?

[quote]Ligne Roset Pagnon & Pelhaître Crescendo table ($2,270)

I saw a table just like that at Target for 30 bucks. No reason a plain, ugly table should cost 2K.

by Anonymousreply 3101/17/2013

"There isn't a trace of the owners' taste or personality anywhere to be found."

It's possible they have neither taste nor personality.

by Anonymousreply 3201/17/2013

Very Fahrenheit 451.

by Anonymousreply 3301/17/2013

The funniest thing was when the article referred to that hamster cage as a "house." Where I live, that is called an apartment (a small one at that).

by Anonymousreply 3401/17/2013

They put the bed on the fucking LANDING!!!

Seriously, it looks like someone took an old building and hacked up large apartments into tiny ones, and now they're living in a glorified stairwell.

by Anonymousreply 3501/17/2013

I love the architecture. It's a beautiful use of a difficult space. I'm not sure I would have been so "pure" in the use of white, but I do think it works.

Remember--this is not meant to be a primary home. It's a place to stay when they are in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 3601/17/2013

[quote]Ligne Roset Pagnon & Pelhaître Crescendo table ($2,270)

Its legs make it look like a gurney in a hospital staffed by midgets.

by Anonymousreply 3701/17/2013

I don't understand. Is this a basement. Climbing to the "terrace"?

I could spend 18 hours there before running out screaming into the traffic. It feels like a prison cell with appointments because the felon in it turned state's evidence but now has to live there for the rest of his life.

by Anonymousreply 3801/17/2013

Painting brick white is very 90s.

by Anonymousreply 3901/17/2013

It lacks substance.

by Anonymousreply 4001/17/2013

You know it reminds of the AbFab episode that flashes back to Bettina and Max's "millenial" apartment. It was all white and Max can't find a white box Bettina sends him looking for.

by Anonymousreply 4101/17/2013

I like it. It's not meant to be their everyday home, it's great for overnights or weekends. The white is necessary in what looks like a dark(ish) space, I like the kitchen and the storage. It needs some artwork, but other than that I would have it in a heartbeat.

It's just a small apartment, so updating the decor as it dates would be easy. The layout works, that's the main thing. The before shots were fucking awful, looked like it smelled of old pizza and unwashed laundry, so this is a huge improvement.

by Anonymousreply 4201/17/2013

I didn't see a tv in the pics, or books, magazines, art,. etc It's ok, maybe too careful and tasteful.

by Anonymousreply 4301/17/2013

Nuni and Nuni live inside a Rubik's Cube.

by Anonymousreply 4401/17/2013

I sort of love it.

by Anonymousreply 4501/17/2013

The perfect place to hook up with tricks. It's personality free and nobody wants to steal anything from that fuck den.

by Anonymousreply 4601/17/2013

R28, it's spelled "laminate", not "lamanant".

by Anonymousreply 4701/17/2013

They used the same tile in the bathroom as the kitchen? What, was it on clearance?

by Anonymousreply 4801/17/2013

Is it for sale? It looks so unpersonal like it was set up for realtors to show it to potential buyers in this condition.

by Anonymousreply 4901/17/2013

Sterile, boring, and antiseptic. In a word: dreadful.

by Anonymousreply 5001/17/2013

That superminimalist look is so 1994.

by Anonymousreply 5101/17/2013

LOL r34, I was kind of thinking Habitrail

by Anonymousreply 5201/17/2013

What the fuck is it with the black and white color scheme. Ick!

by Anonymousreply 5301/17/2013

I also prefer the "before" photos.

by Anonymousreply 5401/17/2013

I like it. A lot. I can't believe anyone prefers the butt-ugly before apartment. Y'all're shittin' us, right?

by Anonymousreply 5501/17/2013

The bars on the stairs are ridiculous, at least his wife can perform cell block tango naked and descend in a dramatic way.

by Anonymousreply 5601/17/2013

Too cold for me.

by Anonymousreply 5701/17/2013

Gotta luv the hyperbole addled minds of DL.

by Anonymousreply 5901/18/2013

Oh lordy, it's too white! I'd be gauging my shins on those really sharp counter corners and scrubbing blood away all the time! It will be covered in dirty fingerprints in months!

It's simply not to my taste. Awful, just awful. It does look quite clean though, and probably smells good. I'll take my usual room at the Algonquin thank you very much.

by Anonymousreply 6001/18/2013

It looks like a hotel room on the Death Star.

by Anonymousreply 6101/18/2013

It's incredibly ugly and personality-free. Just hideous.

by Anonymousreply 6201/18/2013

OP,

Please do post more "Tasteful Friends" articles!

by Anonymousreply 6301/18/2013
Need more help? Click Here.