Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Number one today in 1985!

Madge flounces through Venice... just like a virgin!

by Anonymousreply 1801/18/2013

*** crickets ***

by Anonymousreply 101/17/2013

One of her worst vocal performances, which also makes it some of the worst vocals on a #1 hit.

by Anonymousreply 201/17/2013

by Anonymousreply 301/17/2013

I was touring in Queensland in late January 1985 and this song reminds me of the Kuranda Steam Train tour.

Some guy had it on a boom box at the train station.

It had become popular on MTV in the USA just before I left on my trip.

Funny how a song can take you back to a time and place.

by Anonymousreply 401/17/2013

The resident DL Madonnabot is getting tired. You repeat your mantra in every single Madonna thread, r5, but it has zero effect on the debate, as always.

People who love Madonna already know she was successful, so you're preaching to the choir.

People who dislike Madonna won't be swayed by your autism and love of statistics.

Just stop.

OT: love the video, love the song, love Madonna of the 80s. Madonna now, not so much.

by Anonymousreply 601/18/2013

The actual voice of reason is she can't sing her way out of a wet paper bag, and this pathetic performance is one of the best examples of that.

by Anonymousreply 701/18/2013

The way the song was re-arranged and then butchered by Madonna, it's almost unrecognizable for the beautiful love song that it is as written by Kelly & Steinberg.

They also wrote Tina Turner's "Look Me In The Heart" -- one of the most beautiful songs she has ever performed, IMHO. It was a huge American Adult Contemporary hit and also charted in Europe and Canada.

I believe that "Like A Virgin" was also supposed to be that type of release but with an ever slower beat instead of the syntho-pop trash it turned out to be, reflected by its performer.

As someone wisely posted here previously, that ugly Madonna witch should be a Michigan Wal-Mart employee, not a billionaire living in London paying too few U.S. taxes.

by Anonymousreply 801/18/2013

Madonna lives in NYC now, r8.

And the trashy version of LAV has rightly become a pop classic. Meanwhile, nobody remembers "Look Me In The Heart".

by Anonymousreply 901/18/2013

Did anyone read Nile Rodgers autobiography? He writes about his time with Madonna as well as his incredible career and drug use. Regarding this album, he basically said many of the songs were hard for her to sing. Not making excuses for Madge, she has always been limited vocally. Funny, as big a hit as this was, she has so many better songs IMHO.

by Anonymousreply 1001/18/2013

Thanks R5 , I enjoy all of your Madonna knowlege, as I am alos a huge fan. Keep it coming :)

by Anonymousreply 1101/18/2013

Here Britney, I've set the bar so low for vocal ability, now even an obviously talentless bimbo like you can become a superstar!

by Anonymousreply 1201/18/2013

Listen to the Evita soundtrack ot the Ray of Light album, those voice lessons Madonna took really did pay off, because she could really sing.

Britney trying to do Evita makes me laugh just typing this

by Anonymousreply 1301/18/2013

We've heard her Evita crap, even at her alleged "best" she's very stiff, anyone with taste can hear that.

by Anonymousreply 1401/18/2013

Actually Madonna's voice started to change and get stronger after the LAV album came out. She had her feelings hurt, with people criticizing her voice, so she fixed it.

Her vocals on the True Blue album were impressive. Especially on songs like Live To Tell, Open Your Heart and Papa Don't Preach(for which she received a Grammy nomination for Best Pop VOCAL PERFORMANCE FEMALE), she lost to Striesand.

BTW did you know the LAV single went to #9 on the R&B/Black singles chart?

by Anonymousreply 1501/18/2013

I was giving proper credit to the songwriting team, who did not intend for LAV to become the piece of crap that it did. It is by no means a "pop classic."

As Bette Midler joked... "Like a virgin, touched for the very first time?! For the first time today! Pity the poor soul who has to rinse out that lingerie! The only thing she'll ever do like a virgin is have a baby in a stable."

Please pardon me for not keeping abreast of Ms. Ciccone's current residence. We don't want her back. She certainly isn't paying the 48% income tax that she should be, and that my grandparents did.

As my late father liked to say, "that ugly gap-toothed whore used to eat out of trash cans."

by Anonymousreply 1601/18/2013

R16 Like a Virgin is very much a pop classic. Rolling Stone had the song in the top 10 greatest pop songs ever, the song also came in at #9 on VH1'S 2006 Countdown of the 100 greatest songs of the '80's and the entire monologue of Tarantino's Reservoir Dogs involves a conversation about the song and what it 'means". There is even a documentary series out called SONGS THAT CHANGED THE WORLD and LAV is featured in one episode.

It has been covered by Katy Perry among others.

And even the songwriters Steinberg and Kelly claim they receive more money off LAV than any other song they written.

When the song came out it spent 6 weeks at #1 and was the 2nd biggest song of the year on the Billboard Hot 100 year end charts.

A few months after the song and albums massive success, Madonna was featured on the cover of TIME magazine with the headline "Madonna - Why she's Hot".

by Anonymousreply 1701/18/2013

In all fairness Madonna could read the phone book to music and it would've went top 10 in 1985. She was on fire. I still like her first album better than Like a Virgin, it was pure pop/disco bliss, and I really like Madonna's voice in it's untrained form. Her peak had to be the 1991 Academy Awards where she pretty much nailed Sooner or Later, voice in really good form for her. Then she got all trained up for Evita and Ray of Light, she sounded mannered and self conscious without the joy of her early years. I prefer her fun and flawed as to her later years.

by Anonymousreply 1801/18/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!