Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

On This Day: January 16

Happy Birthday to Ethel Merman (would have been 105); choreographer Debbie Allen, 63; Sade, 54; Kate Moss, 39.

Also, on Jan. 16, 1991, the White House announced the start of Operation Desert Storm to drive Iraqi forces out of Kuwait.

by Anonymousreply 701/16/2013

I greatly miss the "On this day in gay history" poster.

by Anonymousreply 101/16/2013

I remember January 16--the night the Iraq/Kuwait War began. It was a very big deal at the time, very dramatic day. It was my birthday, and my friends were taking me out to dinner.

We ended up sitting there in the restaurant watching television as the country went to war. Everything came to a standstill; it was wall-to-wall news coverage.

by Anonymousreply 201/16/2013

Sade is fifty four???? Damn that bitch never ages!

by Anonymousreply 301/16/2013

I'm one year sober...woo hoo.

by Anonymousreply 401/16/2013

Go girl! You go with your strong self at R4!

by Anonymousreply 501/16/2013

It's the birthday of food writer Ruth Reichl, born in New York City (1948). Her mom loved to cook, but she was terrible at it. Reichl's brother once said he was amazed that he lived to the age of 25, and he called their mother "a menace to society." The two of them would conspire to save guests from some of their mother's more disastrous creations, and they would flush their lunches down the toilet when she wasn't looking.

Reichl remembered: "My mother really would make these dreadful concoctions. She really prided herself on something called 'Everything Stew,' where she would take everything in the refrigerator, all the leftovers, and put them all together. One day I was watching her put in leftover turkey and broccoli and a little can of mushroom soup. And she's throwing things in. And half an apple pie goes in. [...] I'd sort of look at her and say: 'Mom!' And she says: 'Oh, it'll be fine.' [...] In defense, I started cooking, because I didn't want to eat that."

Reichl responded by learning to be a great cook herself, and she also became a restaurant critic, coming up with a dozen different personas — and disguises — she would put on when she was going to review an eatery. She was the editor of Gourmet Magazine for 10 years, and she's written many food-related books, most recently For You, Mom. Finally. (2010).

by Anonymousreply 601/16/2013

Is it okay today to still say "Happy New Year" to people?

by Anonymousreply 701/16/2013
Need more help? Click Here.