Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Cirque Du Soleil Layoffs: 400 To Lose Jobs

Most of the layoffs will be at the artistic giant's headquarters in Montreal.

Company spokeswoman Renee-Claude Menard categorically denied speculation the Cirque is flailing but acknowledged rising expenses had caught up with the 29-year-old entertainment empire.

by Anonymousreply 1601/18/2013

Terrible news. I know someone who works at headquarters (now maybe not anymore). He put in 7-8 years of touring for them before moving up there...I imagine a lot of their employees have been pretty dedicated.

by Anonymousreply 101/16/2013

That said, they do A LOT of elaborate shows simultaneously...

by Anonymousreply 201/16/2013

I'm shocked Cirque Du SoGay employs that many people.

by Anonymousreply 301/16/2013

They've been in a downward financial spiral since they started doing so many productions in so many cities.

by Anonymousreply 401/16/2013

Agreed - they saturated the market. Wasn't there like 4 Cirque shows in Vegas once?

by Anonymousreply 501/16/2013

Yeah, they were trying to build too much of an empire. And that just is not going to work out in the long-term for circus. It's not a bad idea to keep ONE show anchored in Vegas, then pare the number of touring shows way down. I'm surprised they pulled off what they did for so long.

by Anonymousreply 601/16/2013

Has anyone seen Iris? I meant to go but this is the last week in LA so I doubt I'll make it.

by Anonymousreply 701/16/2013

But four shows besides the 19 that are still on stage have closed recently.

"Zed," which was playing to solid audiences at Tokyo Disney, ran from 2008 to 2011, when it was retired in the aftermath of an earthquake and tsunami that hit Japan. The popular "Saltimbanco," which originally ran from 1992 to 2006, ended last year after a new tour.

"Viva Elvis," which got mixed reviews, ran from February 2010 in Las Vegas and wound up last August. "Zaia," the Cirque's first resident show in Asia, ran from 2008 until last year and recorded lacklustre attendance.

A fifth show, "Iris," is due to end its run in Los Angeles on Saturday although there are reports the Cirque plans to take the show on tour.

by Anonymousreply 801/16/2013

I wonder how the one about Michael Jackson is doing

by Anonymousreply 901/16/2013

I saw one of Cirque du Soleil's newest shows, "Totem" last fall in San Diego.

It was just fair at best. Cirque de Soleil usually produces pretty good quality entertainment, although I have to admit, I'm a bit ho-hum about seeing another too soon since they're all somewhat similar. However, "Totem" was sub-par, somewhat lackluster.

by Anonymousreply 1001/16/2013

The only one I've seen was that water one in Vegas ("O") and it was a chore to sit through. "Built around a narrative" is a big stretch if there's no payoff in the storyline.

by Anonymousreply 1101/16/2013

Cirque de Ténèbres

by Anonymousreply 1201/16/2013

This is how much people care about the circus.

by Anonymousreply 1301/18/2013

[quote]I wonder how the one about Michael Jackson is doing

I got comp tickets and it was awful. I took my eight year old nephew and even he was bored. He was more interested in the pretzels from the concession stand. We left at intermission.

Very few stunts and acrobatics, but tons of "filler"--video, dance, music--all of which was fine, but not what people are expecting to see at a Cirque show.

I think organizers just tried to move it from city to city as fast as they could to get the money from people that would pay to see it, and then quickly packed up the tent stakes, so to speak, before moving on to the next town. The other shows tend to stay in places months at a time.

Anyway, I'd be surprised to hear that it's doing well.

by Anonymousreply 1401/18/2013

[quote] Totem

I liked Totem okay. I actually thought it was kind of a return to form after several truly so-so shows (see above) that passed through town.

by Anonymousreply 1501/18/2013

Same boat r7. I wanted to go see Iris but I thought they would be around a bit more. Didn't expect the annoucement of its ending. I don't think I will make it either.

by Anonymousreply 1601/18/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!