Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

How much weight can I expect to lose from giving up alcohol?

Well, I've decided that I need to lose weight. I need to exercise more and improve my diet, but I've decided the first step is to eliminate booze. I was a regular wine drinker, occasional cocktails. I'm giving it up for tea and water. So: Will this help me shed some pounds, and how fast?!

by James Lipton Teareply 1301/16/2013

one pound.

by James Lipton Teareply 101/16/2013

Not that much.

by James Lipton Teareply 201/16/2013

You have to eat less (and particularly eat fewer carbs) and exercise more to lose significant weight. Giving up drinking is just a first step.

There is no other way.

by James Lipton Teareply 301/16/2013

I quit drinking for "Dryuary" last year and lost 10 pounds in the first month alone -- I didn't realize how bloated I looked. It felt so great I basically quit altogether. The trick though is not to replace your relaxing wine with a late-night ice cream fest or what not.

by James Lipton Teareply 501/16/2013

There's quite a bit of sugar in alcohol, so you'll probably have sugar cravings which could result in more calories consumed than what you previously did with alcohol.

by James Lipton Teareply 601/16/2013

Believe me, the sugar is better.

by James Lipton Teareply 701/16/2013

I gained some weight afterwards. Ate less when drinking and less throwing up of what I did eat.

Then there is the sugar cravings.

But it's all good, without drinking you can do more exercise :)

by James Lipton Teareply 801/16/2013

I've tried it and it didn't do a thing. I normally drink 1-2 glasses of wine a day, occasionally beer instead, but rarely hard liquor. You know what made me lose weight unexpectedly? Sleeping more! Sounds crazy, but it's been scientifically confirmed that sleep deprivation actually makes you gain weight.

by James Lipton Teareply 901/16/2013

3500 calories equals one pound. Cutting 500 calories per day from your diet will result in losing one pound a week.

by James Lipton Teareply 1001/16/2013

Quite a bit, OP.

by James Lipton Teareply 1101/16/2013

It's not just about the weight. You're skin will look better but that's more long term.

by James Lipton Teareply 1201/16/2013

Cutting drinking will eliminate empty calories, but a lot of people compensate in other areas for the missing booze.

It doesn't seem that you are abusing alcohol, so you probably won't lose much from quitting alone. I stopped drinking nine months ago and lost about ten pounds and some bloat, but I was a very heavy drinker (five or more a day).

by James Lipton Teareply 1301/16/2013
Need more help? Click Here.