Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Emergency Room Madness

20,000 people sought emergency treatment last year for their reaction to energy drinks, which mimic those of a heart attack.

No wonder the flu is enough to paralyze the health system. A little too much caffeine is enough to paralyze the health system.

by Anonymousreply 1801/18/2013

Some dumbshit guy I worked with a couple years back did this. He was drinking at least 4 of the things a day. Ignorant as all get out, and likely proud of never reading the warnings. The people who abuse the stuff either don't know or don't care how their spazzy bullshit and shreiky loud voices annoy the shit out of the rest of us.

by Anonymousreply 101/16/2013

I work in medicine, and I wish they would ban them.

by Anonymousreply 201/16/2013

Isn't there a certain point that the FDA regulates them?

by Anonymousreply 301/16/2013

People can die from caffeine poisoning.

by Anonymousreply 401/16/2013

I don't want them banned, r2, I use them responsibly. I don't want or have time for 3 cups of coffee, and I prefer cold drinks, so it's very efficient. r4, that's true but people can also die from Tylenol overdoses, and I don't see it getting banned. I got pretty sick off NoDoz years ago trying to cure a hangover, so I have a healthy repsect for what caffeine is capable of. The literacy rate is falling and people won't read labels; this is the result.

by Anonymousreply 501/16/2013

I have never had an "energy drink." What is so appealing about them?

by Anonymousreply 601/16/2013

r6, they can make you feel better and able to accomplish more in a day. Even if it's just one more thing that gets done , it helps. When I need to go to the gym but am getting a bit too comfy in bed, it is a very nice and fast way to wake up and be focused.

by Anonymousreply 701/16/2013

Is it just caffeine in energy drinks that causes the boost? Do B vitamins really have that much effect?

by Anonymousreply 801/16/2013

I don't know, r8, but the taurine most of them contain is reportedly a stimulant too. (Bull = Taurine) ;)

by Anonymousreply 901/17/2013

I don't like the taste of them. Either they are too sweet and syrupy or have that metallic taste.

The biggest energy booster for me is a glass of multi vitamin juice in the morning and sparkling water throughout the day.

by Anonymousreply 1001/17/2013

The biggest energy booster for me is a nap. Anyway. Always go to the emergency room in an ambulance. Even if you have to make yourself seem worse than you really are. When you arrive in an ambulance they have to put you at the front of the line. No sitting with the riffraff.

by Anonymousreply 1101/17/2013

People need to be careful with the energy drink Redline too. The instructions specifically say you are only supposed to drink HALF the bottle. It's about 158 mg of caffeine per serving and it contains Yohimbine. That drink is way too intense at half a bottle, let alone the whole thing.

by Anonymousreply 1201/17/2013

You have to pay for an ambulance, R11. That's an expensive ride for having sipped too many soft drinks.

by Anonymousreply 1301/17/2013

They're like Zantrex-3; bounce off walls for two hours.

by Anonymousreply 1401/17/2013

I drink 5 to 6 shots of espresso every day. How would that be comparable to an energy drink?

by Anonymousreply 1501/18/2013

Teenagers always think they're going to die. Girls more than boys, but boys can be surprisingly pussy. Headaches, colds, sinus infections. "I'm dyyying!"

Summertime would always bring teens who were sunburned "Did you try using OTC sunburn preparations with a topical painkiller like lidocaine? Did you try taking Tylenol or Advil for sunburn pain? Because you're not that badly sunburned.How about a cool shower?" "Uh... No. I used aloe because it's all natural." "OK. You used something all natural that didn't work and you couldn't think of anything else to do except come to an ER where people will give you something non-natural and charge you a lot of money?"

And kids who claim they are overheated. "You're overheated? Did you try going home, sitting in a bathtub filled with cool water, maybe having some non-caffeinated, non-alcohol icy cold drinks like ... oh, maybe lemonade? Water? Maybe put a cool wet washcloth on your neck and lie down?"

"No, I was afraid I was going to die because I'm not used to being out of air conditioning for so long."

These same kids will try to perform surgery on themselves at home for cysts and treat abscessed teeth by rinsing with beer. Perform surgery on self? Ok. Ignore tooth pain until 3 am on the weekend? Check. Take tylenol cold formula? Yeah, once. Then go to the ER when it wears off because it didn't cure you. Rush from the beach or park to the ER because you are hot? Yeah, of course.

I'm betting most of these caffeine-related ER visits are from preteens, teens and people in their very early 20s. Once you get to be in the midtwenties and are healthy, you realize it takes a lot more than a cold, a sunburn, or too much caffeine to take you out

by Anonymousreply 1601/18/2013

He's a-maz-ing, he's re-mark-a-ble, He is fear-less, un-be-liev-a-ble. He is su-per doo-per and ex-trao-di-na-ry. He's the kind of guy that keeps you feel-ing mer-ry. Who? Felix the cat

The wonnerful, wonnerfullest cat

Felix the cat

When ever he got in a fix

He reached right into his bag of tricks

Felix the cat

You'll laugh so much, your sides will ache your heart'll go pitter pat

Watching Felix, the wonnerful cat

by Anonymousreply 1701/18/2013

[quote]I don't know, [R8], but the taurine most of them contain is reportedly a stimulant too. (Bull = Taurine) ;)

It is? I just thought it was an amino acid and a must in a healthy cat's diet.

by Anonymousreply 1801/18/2013
Need more help? Click Here.