Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Maury

How the hell is this show still on?? Who the hell watches it? It's the SAME show every single fucking day! If you've seen one, you've seen them all! Maury needs to go out in 2013 like Sears and JC Penny.

by Anonymousreply 3401/17/2013

I completely agree. But there's a huge faction of pseudo-puritanical voyeur types that thrive on that shit. He's a one-trick-pony who's got it made for life. Chuckling on his way to the bank

by Anonymousreply 101/16/2013

The show is dirt cheap to produce. Its ratings are low but extremely stable, so that means advertisers can know with near certainty what they are getting for their money.

In many ways I think Maury's show is far more appalling than Springer. Watching Springer, it's pretty clear that the "guests" are in on the joke, and know exactly what they are there to do and how they are expected to behave. Maury, however, is trotting out people (usually young black women) who are in a genuine crisis situation, and placing them at the center of an appalling three-ring circus.

by Anonymousreply 201/16/2013

You are NOT the father!

by Anonymousreply 301/16/2013

I can't imagine actually doing the show. Beyond the repetition, it would be hard to feel good about yourself.

He must just like being on TV - I don't think he needs the money at this point.

I wonder what Connie Chung is thinking?

by Anonymousreply 401/16/2013

I had no idea he was still on television.

by Anonymousreply 501/16/2013

what about steve wilkos' show? it's in the same vein. people enjoy this gross jerry springer derived shit.

by Anonymousreply 601/16/2013

R6 - What's worse is that Steve Wilkos is rather dim and doesn't really have much of a personality.

He became famous based on his look alone on Jerry Springer - unbelievable.

by Anonymousreply 701/16/2013

I think the Maury guests are actors too...I watched a segment this morning (that's what prompted me to start this thread) and it seemed so amped up for television. You could tell the producers told them to be LOUD! during their taped pieces and then flail their arms all over the place when they go out onto the stage. The audience's ooh-ing and aah-ing was way over the top too. The whole mess just seemed painfully fake to me. I've gotten my fix of Maury for the year.

by Anonymousreply 801/16/2013

You are a racist, anti-jew monger.

by Anonymousreply 901/16/2013

no,i'm just saying jerry is indeed the focus point for this form of circus tv. maury at the very beginning did attempt to do some serious shows. remember? and then it became all about baby daddies and whose a real women vs. t-girl shows.

by Anonymousreply 1001/16/2013

It's still a hit. Jerry Springer's still on too.

by Anonymousreply 1101/16/2013

It would be nice to believe they are actors, r8, but they are not. My partner is a public school teacher in Brooklyn, and one of his female students was crying uncontrollably one day. When she was pulled aside, turns out she was upset because the Maury show decided against including her on an upcoming episode, and that now she would never be able to afford / force the paternity test she needed to identify / prove who she thought her baby's father was. It was all very ridiculous, very depressing, and all too real.

by Anonymousreply 1201/16/2013

[post by racist shit-stain # 2 removed.]

by Anonymousreply 1301/16/2013

BALLOONS!!!

by Anonymousreply 1401/16/2013

r13

Racist statement. Let's see if anyone starts a thread about the racists on this board.

by Anonymousreply 1501/16/2013

A lot of threads have been started about the racists on this board.

Nothing ever happens, they're allowed to stay here and post that shit every day.

by Anonymousreply 1601/16/2013

[quote] JC Penny

Is that anything like, uh, JC Penney?

by Anonymousreply 1801/16/2013

chicken tetrazzini

by Anonymousreply 1901/16/2013

Maury is 73. Springer is 68. It really is time for them to call it a day.

by Anonymousreply 2001/16/2013

Strange how Springer and Povich keep going and going and going but Anderson Cooper gets dumped just as he's beginning a second year.

by Anonymousreply 2101/16/2013

Because its a show in which people can forget about their miserable lives by being entertained watching and looking down on the truly pathetic and desperate people who make up the majority of the show's guests. The guests get paid about $500 and get to spend a day or two in New York City/Stamford, CT. If you lived in a trailer park or some ghetto living hand-to-mouth with a litter of unwanted/unplanned bastards to feed, you'd probably hop at the chance to humiliate yourself on national television too.

I will say the appalling lack of sex education the guests have is definitely a reflection of something bigger going on in America overall.

Yes, the producers do tell the guests to be loud and over the top for the sake of entertainment.

I do agree that Jerry and his guests seem to be in on the joke. OTOH Maury portrays himself as some sort of avuncular sage who is there to help people when you know he doesn't give a fuck about the vast majority of his guests. Whenever a woman starts running ackstage, falling on the floor and crying when she finds out the guy she bought onto the show isn't the father of the child, he'll hug and "comfort" her by saying something along the lines of "Don't worry, we'll find EVERY MAN YOU'VE BEEN WITH if we have to and bring them on the show to find out if they're the father of your child," I can tell he's as transparant as water. Most of those folks who appear on that show arent too bright, so they don't see right through him.

Who was the woman who came on the show 15 or 16 times looking for the father of her 3 kids? I think they gave her a trip to Disney World as a sort of consolation after coming on the show so many times. Her name was Marisol, and she had a daughter named Sha'Diamond. Sha'Diamond should be around 15 or 16 now and I'm pretty sure she'll be on the show looking for her father soon enough.

by Anonymousreply 2201/16/2013

But for working on the show behind the scene, his older kids would be terminally unemployed. That's why he does it, and he still has to pay for Connie's surgery and college for the youngest kid.

by Anonymousreply 2301/16/2013

[quote] Because its a show in which people can forget about their miserable lives by being entertained watching and looking down on the truly pathetic and desperate people who make up the majority of the show's guests. The guests get paid about $500 and get to spend a day or two in New York City/Stamford, CT. If you lived in a trailer park or some ghetto living hand-to-mouth with a litter of unwanted/unplanned bastards to feed, you'd probably hop at the chance to humiliate yourself on national television too.

Exactly. I remember some sad tragic drag queen in my college town who appeared a bunch of times on Jerry Springer in the late 90s. They would fly her from PA to Chicago (this is when it was still filming in Chicago) and she'd get $300 or $400 plus two days at a hotel. Once I think she got $1500 because she was in a whole week of shows.

They would call her and ask her if she wanted to do shows. They would make up stories for her to do, or ask if x or y had ever happened to her and then exaggerate the fuck out of it.

by Anonymousreply 2401/16/2013

[quote]Yes, the producers do tell the guests to be loud and over the top for the sake of entertainment.

A few years ago, I attended a taping of Thw Wayne Brady Show at EPCOT, back when he had a talk show. They rehearsed the audience in how to applaud and how to give a standing ovation.

The applause coach sits off to the side, and, during the broadcast, every time he stands up, you have to be ready to shout and clap or jump up while shouting and clapping for a standing ovation.

by Anonymousreply 2501/16/2013

Such delicate flowers.

by Anonymousreply 2601/16/2013

[quote] you have to be ready to shout and clap or jump up while shouting and clapping for a standing ovation

So easily controlled.

by Anonymousreply 2701/16/2013

[quote]Sha'Diamond should be around 15 or 16 now and I'm pretty sure she'll be on the show looking for her father soon enough.

Something tells me Sha'Diamond will be on the show looking for her kids' daddy(ies), not her father.

by Anonymousreply 2801/16/2013

by Anonymousreply 2901/16/2013

R28 - Yeah, I meant "whoever the father of her children are"

by Anonymousreply 3001/16/2013

Jerry! Jerry! Jerry!

Darnell, You are NOT the father!

by Anonymousreply 3101/16/2013

by Anonymousreply 3201/16/2013

by Anonymousreply 3301/17/2013

[quote]Strange how Springer and Povich keep going and going and going

I don't get it either. I used to watch that shit back in the 90's when I was a teenager and it was funny then, but here we are in 2013 and this ridiculous shit is STILL on. It hasn't changed one bit. Both shitty shows should have been cancelled years ago, especially that homophobic Springer.

by Anonymousreply 3401/17/2013
Need more help? Click Here.