Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Frau chooses not to abort severely mentally and physically disabled baby after seeing him "smile" in ultrasound

Was told baby would never walk and talk and would need 24-hour-care.

Mom went through with birth, but baby died hours later.

What would you do?

by Anonymousreply 7301/25/2013

Very personal decision. Good for her.

I would have aborted at the jump.

by Anonymousreply 301/16/2013

Not judge her?

by Anonymousreply 401/16/2013

So the story still had a happy ending?

She'll be pregnant againt next month and the next one will have problems yet still live. Why do women insist on having babies, even though they can't afford them and don't have a clue how to be good parents?

A women who would give birth to a deformed baby, does not understand what love is.

by Anonymousreply 501/16/2013

Glad you're in control about what love is, R5. Of course you'd be *horrified* if someone else tried to judge who you should love.

by Anonymousreply 701/16/2013

What part of 'pro-CHOICE' do you people not understand?

by Anonymousreply 801/16/2013

[quote]A women who would give birth to a deformed baby, does not understand what love is.

What a hateful thing to say.

by Anonymousreply 901/16/2013

and yet possibly true

by Anonymousreply 1001/16/2013

"A women who would give birth to a deformed baby,"

I wouldn't call it unloving, I'd call it supremely selfish.

Her desire to birth a baby, no matter what the poor thing has to endure (and then die), is more important to her than wellfare of said baby.

by Anonymousreply 1101/16/2013

Frau bait thread.

by Anonymousreply 1301/16/2013

I'm pro choice. It's a woman's choice, not mine. Not yours. Not anybody's.

If I was a pregnant woman and a doctor told me r's1, 2, 5 or 12 would be my baby, I'd have them aborted in second. But I'd never abort a disabled child. That's Hitler territory. And disabled people aren't as cruel and unfeeling as some Datalounge liberals can be.

by Anonymousreply 1401/16/2013

I wanna see a pic of her baby after he was born.

Was his head all stove in because his didn't have a brain to hold it up?

by Anonymousreply 1501/16/2013

R14 - get off your high horse. The child was not just disabled - no one is saying that all disabled children should be aborted you idiot.

Didn't take you long to make the Hitler connection, did it?

The child needed 24 hour care and would never walk, talk or be much else than a vegetable. How cruel and unfeeling can you be when you can't even communicate?

by Anonymousreply 1701/16/2013

r8 is correct. If you're pro-choice, that means abiding by a woman's decision without judging her. As with most so-called "moral" issues, there is no right or wrong here. What a difficult decision to have to make. And no, I'm not a "frau," but a gay man who respects a woman's right to abort...as well as to keep her baby.

by Anonymousreply 1801/16/2013

Keeping flaunting that hypocrisy, R12.

Completely predictable.

by Anonymousreply 2001/16/2013

Take your meds R19. She's the one smiling in the paper - she didn't have to have the article in the press, so she made it public domain - for which I'm entitled to express my opinion.

I agree R1's response was awful - but almost every R1 in most threads is some idiotic nasty comment. I think there's a couple of trolls who get off on it.

I still say it was a selfish act - people have to think long term about having children.

by Anonymousreply 2101/16/2013

And I still say mind your own fucking business, you gayfrau.

by Anonymousreply 2201/16/2013

She's minding her own business? By accepting cash to sell her story to some tacky British tabloid?

Lord, the comments section has just been enlightening, for lack of a better word.

by Anonymousreply 2301/16/2013

How about the frau at R22 mind her own business, Starting by getting off a board for GAY people!

What an idiot. Butting into a conversation that has nothing to do with her only to tell people not to comment on things that don't have to do with them.

by Anonymousreply 2401/16/2013

Joke's on you, r24. I'm gay, 33 years old, and have been on DL since Helen Lawson threads were actually funny. But I'm pro-choice and realize pro-choice means letting people make their own choices and not butting in.

You're more of a frau than I am because you wag your finger and TELL people what to do with their bodies. Abort the 'tard! Abort the handicapped! Strengthen the gene pool!

Someday doctors may be able to detect homosexuality in unborn children, and then what? What would you say to a woman who wants to abort her future gay child?

by Anonymousreply 2601/16/2013

[quote]You're more of a frau than I am because you wag your finger and TELL people what to do with their bodies. Abort the 'tard! Abort the handicapped! Strengthen the gene pool!

That baby wasn't retarded, he was anencephalic. He didn't have a brain.

Just for the record, I'm not judging the woman for the decisions that she made.

by Anonymousreply 2701/16/2013

R26, you're an idiot.

I never judged the woman for keeping the baby or even commented on that.

I called you out because you were calling posters on here "gayfraus" which sounded like the previous poster who was complaining about gay liberals on this board.

And you're comparing someone being gay to someone who needs to be taken care of 24/7? Like I said, you're an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 2801/16/2013

[quote] That baby wasn't retarded, he was anencephalic. He didn't have a brain.

And yet it smiled and played -- inside its mother's womb!

by Anonymousreply 2901/16/2013

The baby had all of the traits of the typical DL poster. We lost a good one.

by Anonymousreply 3001/16/2013

Well, we can at least all agree that we wish R31's mother had made a different choice.

by Anonymousreply 3201/16/2013

I would F&F r31, but it was only a matter of time until a Freeper read the comments on this thread from (i.e. the ever so eloquent r1) and chimed in.

by Anonymousreply 3301/16/2013

You can't force people to have abortions, OP. That would be as horrible as forcing them NOT to have abortions.

The whole point of pro-choice is that the mother gets to decide.

by Anonymousreply 3401/16/2013

R7, if you knew anything about real love, you would KNOW when to abort a baby. Sometimes the thing to do is hard and sad but it is an act of love.

by Anonymousreply 3501/16/2013

[quote] And you're comparing someone being gay to someone who needs to be taken care of 24/7? Like I said, you're an idiot.

I'm an idiot? Look at r31. Those are the kind of people who would abort a baby for having a gay gene in a heartbeat. Look beyond your own view.

by Anonymousreply 3601/16/2013

Every day when I go out in public, I realize that there aren't nearly ENOUGH abortions.

by Anonymousreply 3701/16/2013

You don't get to decide for everyone, r35. Stop pretending you do or you should.

by Anonymousreply 3801/16/2013

R35 if you knew anything about love, you would know that you have no right to define what love is or means to anyone.

by Anonymousreply 3901/16/2013

r35, that would be r7's choice to make though. Not yours. And you really have no right to decide for anyone else.

by Anonymousreply 4001/16/2013

Abortion was offered to her as an alternative at 24 weeks when doctors became aware of the extent of the fetus' abnormalities. It would have been a partial birth abortion.

The horror stories about partial birth abortion probably factored into her decision.

by Anonymousreply 4101/16/2013

Whatever you do, do NOT look at the pictures of an anencephalic baby. *shudders*

by Anonymousreply 4201/16/2013

Anencephalic baby. You've been warned.

by Anonymousreply 4301/16/2013

Whatever I would do would certainly not be contingent on seeing the fetus "smile" in an ultrasound. That is just stupid.

by Anonymousreply 4401/16/2013

Aborting a severely disabled baby or bringing it to terms are both horrifying solutions in my eyes. I do not envy that woman for having to make any decision at all. Knowing for months and months that the baby growing inside you will most likely not survive the moment it leaves your womb must be pure torture. It would make me most certainly crazy.

by Anonymousreply 4501/16/2013

Another one

by Anonymousreply 4601/16/2013

Why would you want to look at that?

by Anonymousreply 4701/16/2013

Very nice r19. You are a 'klass' act.

by Anonymousreply 4801/16/2013

Death panels! Told ya!

by Anonymousreply 4901/16/2013

What r4 said. It's no one's decision but hers.

by Anonymousreply 5001/16/2013

[quote]Whatever you do, do NOT look at the pictures of an anencephalic baby. *shudders*

Sorry. I should have warned about that.

by Anonymousreply 5101/16/2013

What would I do?

Get me... the knitting needle!

by Anonymousreply 5201/16/2013

What other posters have said - Pro-choice means it's HER choice, and nobody else's.

Did they opt to donate the baby's organs? If so, that would give other babies a chance to live...

by Anonymousreply 5301/16/2013

[quote]baby died hours later... What would you do?

I would throw it out if it died. What would anyone do?

But one has to wonder why, if she wasn't going to abort, regardless of the results of the ultrasound, she bothered to HAVE the ultrasound.

by Anonymousreply 5401/16/2013

If it was born, you either cremate or bury it...the hospital won't pay for burial.

by Anonymousreply 5501/16/2013

"But one has to wonder why, if she wasn't going to abort, regardless of the results of the ultrasound, she bothered to HAVE the ultrasound."

Really, I mean she was prolly all fat and bloated, why did she even bother to get dressed, go out, be happy she was knocked up? If she was going to keep it anyway, why'd she bother going to the doctor in the first place, why not shack up in her house with a belt and hot water for her delivery?

Women get ultrasounds, dick.

by Anonymousreply 5601/16/2013

I think it's incredibly cruel and selfish to bring a child to term when you know its life will be short and full of struggle and pain.

by Anonymousreply 5701/16/2013

"What would you do?"

Start a mommie blog documenting every tragic step along the way (I Think He Winked Therefore I Ate Ham), with a PayPal link so I can generate an income allowing me to stay at home with the little Vegetable while also working on my new start-up business: jewelry for busy moms like me.

by Anonymousreply 5801/16/2013

[quote]She's minding her own business? By accepting cash to sell her story to some tacky British tabloid?

So true, she saw dollar signs. She knows gifts will come in if she can keep this story going. There is no other reason to run to the media. What a craven witch.

by Anonymousreply 5901/16/2013

R57 - It's not just that. They knew the child would need 24hour care. I assume this would be very costly to NHS and the British taxpayers - surely some of the expenses would have to be picked up in some way.

I have no problem with the right to choose. However, there are other considerations. This was just selfish.

by Anonymousreply 6001/16/2013

R56, if one knows that one is not going to abort, regardless of the results, it is just foolish to get an ultrasound. Not as stupid as it would be to get amniocentesis under those circumstances, since there is a risk to the test itself with amnio, but foolish to waste the time and money for the test if the results will have no impact.

by Anonymousreply 6101/16/2013

Before you start throwing too much shade on the woman, bear in mind that having one anencephalic pregnancy makes it much more likely that she'll have another.

by Anonymousreply 6201/16/2013

She did not know she was going to abort or not when she got the ultrasound--she did not make up her mind until she saw the fetus "smile."

by Anonymousreply 6301/16/2013

"she did not make up her mind until she saw the fetus 'smile.'"

I'm sorry, but if I was told my baby would have all those challenges, I'd be aborting it--unless it started doing a dance routine while singing Gershwin's, "I'd Rather Charleston".

by Anonymousreply 6401/16/2013

Like this guy, R64?

by Anonymousreply 6501/16/2013

Lol! R64.

by Anonymousreply 6601/16/2013

Obviously mama carries some defective genes herself.

by Anonymousreply 6701/16/2013

Her body, her choice. Maybe not a wise one... but stil...

by Anonymousreply 6801/16/2013

Might not have been a smile. Might have been gas.

by Anonymousreply 6901/16/2013

Read the article, R54. They did an ultrasound at three months that showed no sign of problems. The next ultrasound at 20 weeks was when they realized the fetus had problems. After further testing, the doctors told the 24 week pregnant mother the extent of the fetus' defects.

by Anonymousreply 7001/17/2013

But, R70, why do ANY of the testing if she was not going to terminate the pregnancy regardless of the results?

by Anonymousreply 7101/17/2013

[quote]Before you start throwing too much shade on the woman, bear in mind that having one anencephalic pregnancy makes it much more likely that she'll have another.

There is only a slightly higher chance that she will have another with a neural tube defect. I believe it is a 3% chance, with the general population having a .1% chance. She needs to start taking folic acid before she conceives again. Folic acid has been shown to greatly reduce neural tube defects.

by Anonymousreply 7201/17/2013

"No one wants an abortion as she wants an ice-cream cone or a Porsche. She wants an abortion as an animal, caught in a trap, wants to gnaw off its own leg. Abortion is a tragic attempt to escape a desperate situation by an act of violence and self-loss."---Frederica Mathewes-Green, author and former leader of Feminists for Life

by Anonymousreply 7301/25/2013
Need more help? Click Here.