Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Media turning Victor Garber's boyfriend into a Gay Unicorn

"Oooooh look at the pretty gay man! So handsome, so gay! Let's write articles about him! No, we don't think there's anything odd about thrusting our glare onto the partner of a character actor who has never been dishonest about his personal life but probably kept it low-key for a reason! Let's put his picture at the top of Gawker! Everybody needs to stare at him! Pretty! Gay! Goodbye privacy!"

by Anonymousreply 2901/17/2013

He is gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 101/16/2013

He's a model. I can't imagine he or Victor object.

by Anonymousreply 201/16/2013

Gawker is worse.

Is it fraus or gay men that are doing this?

by Anonymousreply 301/16/2013

As if DL and everyone posting here wouldn't be doing the same. This thread may be about the media but it, and certainly others here, will be about who Victor Garber's boyfriend is.

The irony, the irony.

by Anonymousreply 401/16/2013

One beautiful accomplished middle aged man is the significant other of another beautiful accomplished middle aged man. And the public is not shielded from this.

Isn't this something to celebrate?

In fact, isn't this arguably the closest thing to a long term gay relationship that has been part of the public imagination since Stein and Toklas (hardly in their league, but still)? Ok, there might be a few others but you get the point.

But I do get OP's point about privacy. Yes, coming out as a celebrity is giving up your privacy. And it is a very understandable factor in why some stay in the closet or don't come out formally in a public way.

Being a pubic figure is not a bed of roses.

by Anonymousreply 501/16/2013

[quote]One beautiful accomplished middle aged man is the significant other of another beautiful accomplished middle aged man. And the public is not shielded from this. Isn't this something to celebrate?

[bold]NO.[/bold]

Being gay should [bold]not be seen[/bold] as an accomplishment. Being [italic]openly[/italic] gay, and speaking about gay issues, advocating gay civil rights, etc., [bold]is[/bold] a great and heroic accomplishment, but one that's not necessary of everyone. Everyone's entitled to live their lives privately if they want to. For every Jesse Tyler & Justin, there should be a Victor & Rainer.

Something I brought up in one of the Bomer threads, the WORST thing that gay people and the gay press (and the parts of the mainstream press controlled by gays, like Entertainment Weekly) can do is turn every out actor into a Crowd Symbol. Those that wish to are welcome to and should be applauded, but more progress is going to be made once we start treating ourselves like everyone else.

by Anonymousreply 601/16/2013

Oh tone down the militance, R6. You're not in charge of this revolution. And you're willfully misreading R5 anyway just to make your own point.

I agree, R5. It's odd but harmless. It's good imagery. This moment kind of reminds me of the hype over Ellen and Anne Heche, which was much more overt, but similar. I wouldn't be surprised if Victor and Rainier get invited to the White House. It's win, win, win. I see no downside.

by Anonymousreply 701/16/2013

The problem with "this revolution" is the people in charge of it.

Look at the words you use. "Good imagery"? Why does everybody have to be PR?

by Anonymousreply 801/16/2013

Straight celebrities get press for their romantic relationships on a constant basis. Why shouldn't it be the same for gay celebrities? Garber's relationship is being portrayed in a positive light, I guess I don't see the big deal here. The very definition of "celebrity" includes some surrender of your privacy.

by Anonymousreply 901/16/2013

r6, I never said that being gay is an accomplishment, I merely stated that in their professions, Garber and Andressen are accomplished. I agree that being heroically out is, well, heroic. I'd even go so far as to say that more celebrities should be out because it is important to be out. But, on the other hand, just as I understand why many straight celebrities want to be protective of their private lives and don't want to expose the people they love to public scrutiny, the same is understandable for gay celebrities.

I am not speaking of gay celebrities who opt for beards or to lie about their sexuality. But about those who simply don't want to have their private lives dissected and to keep them private. Just like straight celebrities who feel the same way, it's easy to understand that preference.

by Anonymousreply 1001/16/2013

R6 is part of the problem.

by Anonymousreply 1101/16/2013

Garber offered the information though I'm sure he had no idea it would blow up like this. Still, two successful, mature, virile men in a long term relationship is hardly a poor model of a gay relationship. Plus I'm sure they'll both get more work out of it. It can't be bad.

by Anonymousreply 1201/16/2013

I MUCH prefer the low key and handsome couple Victor and Rainer to the grating bourgeois queens Neil and David. At least they don't pose for paparazzi photos on their expensive yahts with their babies close to their nipple rings. Vomit.

by Anonymousreply 1301/16/2013

This thread is filled with awful people.

by Anonymousreply 1401/16/2013

How so, R14?

by Anonymousreply 1501/16/2013

Whoa.... I must say... Victor Garber does have exquisite taste.

by Anonymousreply 1601/16/2013

Victor Garber is a very nice man. VERY nice.

Also, he has bizarrely huge ears.

by Anonymousreply 1701/16/2013

The best thing is that his boyfriends seems masculine.

by Anonymousreply 1801/16/2013

What does Bradley Cooper think of this?

by Anonymousreply 1901/16/2013

You can have the fresh-faced twinks... for my taste, a man with good DNA is at his peak at 50 yrs old.

It's like a nice mature pear before it drops from the tree.

by Anonymousreply 2001/16/2013

Look, it's okay if you want to be gay but it's another thing for these pinheads to flaunt it as if it's normal. It.is.not. I, for one do not want my children or grandchildren seeing this kind of debauchery. Keep it in the bedroom, gays! We don't want to see it.

That is all.

by Anonymousreply 2101/16/2013

Garber has a nice big uncut Canadian moose cock!

by Anonymousreply 2201/16/2013

[quote]Victor Garber is a very nice man. VERY nice. Also, he has bizarrely huge ears.

I'm hung like a buffalo and you're talking about my huge... EARS?

by Anonymousreply 2301/16/2013

Victor Garber should have worked out more prior to Godspell. Jesus was a gym rat.

by Anonymousreply 2401/16/2013

a freshly felched unicorn?

by Anonymousreply 2501/16/2013

I'd like to see his horn.

by Anonymousreply 2601/17/2013

Garber is Jewish, so, uncut? Unlikely

by Anonymousreply 2701/17/2013

Sorry guys! Victor Garber is not gay.

by Anonymousreply 2801/17/2013

Just because a person says they are gay doesn't make it so.

by Anonymousreply 2901/17/2013
Need more help? Click Here.