Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Lance Armstrong Lied!

He lied! Words can't describe how much I don't care. Such ridiculous outrage. He road a bike for a living. Get over it.

by Anonymousreply 6301/19/2013

People care about this because his charity's immense success was due to his image.

by Anonymousreply 101/16/2013

I'm with you, OP.

Not that it's a story that ever held any interest, but even paying no attention it's clear that there have been repeated allegations going back many years; that these allegations have gained in strength over time; that the events of the past year so make the fact of Armstrong having lied the least bit of a surprise.

The only surprise would be if somehow Armstrong had not lied. That might be a story (if one cared.)

The only story is about feeding a public appetite for seeing those who fall grovel and apologize, a process that strikes me as being as interesting as the doings of the Kardashian Klan.

by Anonymousreply 201/16/2013

[quote] He road a bike for a living.

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 301/16/2013

[quote]He road a bike for a living.

[quote]Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 401/16/2013

No, he RODE a bike for a living, dearest.

What's even sadder is that you didn't even know what was wrong.

by Anonymousreply 501/16/2013

Armstrong sued the London Sunday Times for libel and won $500,000 after it printed a story by a reporter who accused Armstrong of doping.

Now the paper will likely sue Armstrong for the return of the award, as the "libelous" story was based in fact.

If a person's lies had cost the OP half a million dollars, I bet he wouldn't "get over it" too quickly.

by Anonymousreply 601/16/2013

You must give him credit. He understood the logic of cheating, threatening people who didn't go along and destroying careers of people who weren't 100% committed. He proved that Americans can be just as bad as Europeans.

by Anonymousreply 701/16/2013

Let's face it, everyone knew all along. Certainly the Euros who were constantly cheating themselves. They just couldn't believe this yokel without the professional support they had could take them at their own game. It came with a severe price to his own health though. I don't expect him to survive all this.

by Anonymousreply 801/16/2013

Oh look! OP is so superior and sophisticated he declares that the Tour de France is just a bike race. Whatever YOU think of it, OP, it is important to many and his apparent winning it 7 times made him an international superstar and an American hero. He was considered one of the greatest athletes in history. Add his being a cancer survivor to the mix and he is an icon.

by Anonymousreply 901/16/2013

He WAS an icon, now he's just a lying, cheating scumbag who intimidated and threatened the careers of honest bikers.

As for his cancer, sure he survived it but he probably gave it to himself and how heroic is that?

by Anonymousreply 1001/16/2013

Come on an see, see, see

Tennessee Tuxedo

See, see, see

Tennessee Tuxedo

Searching seas in search of treasure

Anything so he can measure

Up to men

That's Tennessee Tuxedo

See, see, see Tennessee Tuxedo

As he vies for fame and glory

As he tries in each new story

by Anonymousreply 1101/16/2013

People with missing testicles are mean.

by Anonymousreply 1201/16/2013

Lance Armstrong, All American Boy! Spank 'im!

by Anonymousreply 1301/16/2013

Personally I feel the same way, but I understand the outrage among some people - people associated with this charity, cycling community, actual fans of Armstrong.

For the rest of us, who the fuck cares.

by Anonymousreply 1401/16/2013

I cannot think of anything that matters less in the entire history of time and space and sports and bikes and on and on and on.

An athlete took a steroid. Je ne giverais-a-shit pas for the rest of time, no matter how long I may live.

Please, may we get back to something that matters?

by Anonymousreply 1501/16/2013

See, I feel bad about saying this, especially since my score on the sociopathy test in another thread was quite low . . . but I don't care either. To me it's the same thing as the Oprah/James Frey "Million Little Pieces" scandal of yesteryear.

Yes, Armstrong lied... so what? I've lied, you've lied, your mother and father have lied...EVERYONE at one point or another has lied. Armstrong lied on a larger scale and yes, to a larger platform, but I just can seem to work up a froth about it.

But while we're on the topic...did he dope before he was treated for cancer, or did it start afterward?

by Anonymousreply 1601/16/2013

R16, your last paragraph is no more interesting than the rest of this snory.

by Anonymousreply 1701/16/2013

R16 here. That should have been CAN'T work up a froth.

by Anonymousreply 1801/16/2013

"Yes, Armstrong lied... so what? I've lied, you've lied, your mother and father have lied...EVERYONE at one point or another has lied. Armstrong lied on a larger scale and yes, to a larger platform, but I just can seem to work up a froth about it."

There is a big difference between lying and doing what Armstrong did. Your average person would never be able to mainatin such a lie on the level that he did.

I think part of why he is getting as much heat as he has is because he was so defiant and downright arrogant and nasty in trying to prove his false innocence. Not to mention his fans scraming outrage because people had the nerve to pick on a cancer victim. I do wonder what his staunch supporters think now that he has done a one eighty and admitted what they have fought so hard to deny.

He's just a self serving asshole who needs to get out of the limelight for a long time.

by Anonymousreply 1901/16/2013

Well...I don't know; I think it might be relevant to how the world views him, no? I mean, if he didn't start doping until AFTER the cancer, it might quell a TINY bit of of the outrage. "I love riding a bike competitively so much that I'm going to do whatever I have to do to compete." The public might be willing to throw a bit of sympathy and understanding his way.

Hell, I don't know. Like I said, I don't care.

by Anonymousreply 2001/16/2013

He made over $100 million in endorsements with his lies.

by Anonymousreply 2101/16/2013

Ahhhh, well now I feel differently. See, I didn't know he'd been a real dick about it, R19. If in his efforts to deny the charges he was a prick, well, that's different. I'm not into biking so I just know his story as more of a pop culture feature.

Okay, then. Yeah, he's a self-serving douche who is getting his just deserts.

by Anonymousreply 2201/16/2013

You guys are weird. Do you apply the same I-do-not-give-a-shit attitude to everything corrupt that happens in our society?

Read the retirement speech by this British cyclist and you will see that not every cyclist doped or wanted to dope, even when put under extreme pressure by their team-mates and sponsors. And for those who refused to dope, money was lost, races were lost, and the sport of cycling was ruined. Armstrong had a huge, bigger than any other cyclist, part in the ruin of the sport. On top of it, he ruthlessly went after those who testified against him. He is perfect example of someone who thinks they can bully and manipulate their way to success and money, no matter at what cost for others. He deserves to be punished.

by Anonymousreply 2301/16/2013

How Lance Armstrong Lied to the World (Including Me) by Howard Kurtz Jan 5, 2013 2:32 PM EST

A leak to the New York Times indicates the cycling champ is finally ready to come clean

Lance Armstrong lied to me.

I know, I’ve got plenty of company. He lied to other journalists, racing officials, his fans, and anyone else who would listen in denying that he used illegal substances in winning his cycling titles.

Now comes an orchestrated leak to the New York Times in which Armstrong seems about to fess up, “according to several people with direct knowledge of the situation.” He has “told associates associates and antidoping officials,” says the paper, “that he is considering publicly admitting that he used banned performance-enhancing drugs and blood transfusions during his cycling career.”

Hmm. That’s about a million miles from the no-way, no-how, I’m-being-framed tone that he took with me.

In an interview for The Daily Beast in July, Armstrong said that anti-doping officials were pursuing a “personal vendetta” against him. And he was absolutely adamant. He sounded aggrieved, even angry.

“They’ve got no physical evidence, no lab work, no positive tests,” he told me. “They can go out and coerce testimony, and that’s all they need with the burden of proof so low.”

Armstrong added that the fellow cyclists who were hurling the allegations were trying to get more lenient treatment for their own misconduct: “If I can’t face my accusers, that’s a joke. We did that in medieval times.”

He kept circling back to his unshakable denial. “It’s a bum’s rush,” Armstrong said. “I’m just sick and tired of it.”

This wasn’t the first time we had crossed paths. In July 2011, the seven-time Tour de France winner mounted a preemptive strike against 60 Minutes. The CBS program was about to air an interview with former teammate Tyler Hamilton, accused Armstrong of using a banned substance as long ago as 1999.

The show “basically reneged” on promises to him, Armstrong told me. His lawyers accused 60 Minutes of “disgraceful journalism.” Jeff Fager, the CBS News chairman and the show’s executive producer, told me at the time that Armstrong was playing a “PR game” and that “our reporters have done a first-class job.”

One thing Armstrong said then stuck in my mind: “My version of events has never changed on this, and won’t.”

Until now, apparently.

Lest there be any doubt about the veracity of the Times story, Armstrong’s lawyer, Tim Herman, made no attempt to deny that his client might soon admit to illegal doping. “Lance has to speak for himself on that,” he told the paper. Herman did not respond to my e-mail.

I basically knew the jig was up when Armstrong dropped his defense against the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency and allowed himself to be stripped of his Tour de France titles. But it is another thing to watch his own advisers float a trial balloon that he might finally change his story.

Armstrong was an inspiring figure for so many, given the way he battled back from cancer to resume his bicycling career. But it isn’t hard to figure out why he may finally be caving.

His anti-cancer charity, Livestrong, has been badly damaged. He faces a number of lawsuits. If anti-doping officials, in exchange for a confession, restored his eligibility, he could resume his cycling career.

But nothing can restore his lost luster or his credibility. Armstrong spent more than a decade denying with great vehemence what he may now be preparing to admit. He is an accomplished liar.

As I can personally attest.

by Anonymousreply 2401/16/2013

Armstrong didn't just lie, he bullied, blackmailed, threatened, and manipulated others into covering for him. Corruption is a big deal, even if it takes place in a sport you don't care about.

by Anonymousreply 2501/16/2013

If Armstrong thinks a half-assed confession is going get them to restore his eligibility, he's completely delusional.

He's finished and rightly so.

by Anonymousreply 2601/16/2013

I guess I'm just jaded R23. I'm a criminal defense attorney and I would say that at least nine out ten of my clients lie to me. One tends to get sensitized to these things, especially when they don't effect you personally.

You're right though. Armstrong lied and hurt a lot a people emotionally and financially.

by Anonymousreply 2701/16/2013

He is an embarrassment for our country. I feel sorry for the bikers who should have won those races.

I wish the media would just shun him forever.

by Anonymousreply 2801/16/2013

R23, it's just hard to see how an athlete who takes steroids and lies about it is "corrupt." He wouldn't have to lie about it if the sports establishment weren't such dicks about it.

I mean, football lies everytime a game is played. It's supposed to take an hour. Oh, except we take time-outs. That's corrupt when I'm waiting for The Good Wife to come on at (hahahaha) 9 PM on Sunday.

I equate Lancegate to Clinton and Monica. Yeah, he lied under oath. About having sex.

Big Fat Motherfucking Deal. Watergate this isn't.

by Anonymousreply 2901/16/2013

[quote]I'm with you, OP.

Then you and the OP are idiots.

This is not a small issue of someone telling a couple of fibs or smoking some pot. We are talking about sustained, long-term drug use, stealing the Tour De France title from other competitors, and fraudulently accepting millions of dollars that should have gone to the rightful winners.

On top of that, the investigative reports say that Armstrong & his people were smuggling in bags of animal blood into the competitions themselves, and engaged in intimidation and threats to other teammates. He also lied under oath and committed perjury.

by Anonymousreply 3001/16/2013

"He also lied under oath and committed perjury."

Oh, dear God in heaven. Who let Ann Coulter in?

by Anonymousreply 3101/16/2013

[quote][R23], it's just hard to see how an athlete who takes steroids and lies about it is "corrupt." He wouldn't have to lie about it if the sports establishment weren't such dicks about it.

If you do not see that there is something wrong about lying under oath, prosecuting people you consider a threat, forcing your team-mates to dope, charging tens of millions for false achievements, there there is something seriously wrong with you. His actions went beyond his own interests. Armstrong tried his best to ruin people if they dared to speak the truth. Let's hope someone does the same to you and then you can tell us how that's cool with you.

by Anonymousreply 3201/16/2013

[quote]it's just hard to see how an athlete who takes steroids and lies about it is "corrupt."

Is this meant to be a joke?

by Anonymousreply 3301/16/2013

R32, then you may think of me as having "something seriously wrong with (me)," as I will think of you.

There is nothing you could possibly do to make care about Lance Armstrong. I do not care about him. I do not care about athletes (if sports were suddenly to stop existing tomorrow, my world would go on). I do not care about people taking steroids. I do not care what you think of me. I do not care about you.

It doesn't matter to me (and probably to most people) any more than Clinton lying under oath mattered to me (and probably to most people).

I wonder how many times Ann Coulter uttered "But he lied under oath" today. Or maybe you are Ann Coulter.

by Anonymousreply 3401/16/2013

[quote]I wonder how many times Ann Coulter uttered "But he lied under oath" today. Or maybe you are Ann Coulter.

And, yes, in order to be morally indifferent about the society you live in, there must be something wrong with you. You and Ann Coulter and you have much in common. No wonder you are able to quote her.

by Anonymousreply 3501/16/2013

Armstrong tried to destroy the reputations and careers of anyone who said he doped.

He and his army of lawyers threatened and/or sued at the drop of a hat, publicly called 1 woman a prostitute and a drunk.

At an awards dinner, Armstrong texted this to a couple that had spoken out about him.....

RUN don't walk.

He's an evil, lying piece of shit and I was so surprised that Stephen A and Skip Bayless of ESPN said the exact same thing on the air this morning. They did not mince words AT ALL!

by Anonymousreply 3601/16/2013

What's with the Ann Coulter references? What the heck does that bitch have to do with what I wrote above, or with what the experts who have actually studied and reported on this case are saying?

Have you seen any of the panels this week on Anderson Cooper and elsewhere with law professors and sports reporters who have been detailing the enormous amount of deception, fraud & intimidation Armstrong has engaged in?

by Anonymousreply 3701/16/2013

I can understand that OP and others don't care about this. There are a lot of popular threads here that I care nothing about. But is it so hard to believe that others DO care about it? Do you expect everyone to be interested in the same things you're interested in?

If it doesn't interest you, then move on and don't start threads about it.

by Anonymousreply 3801/16/2013

G A Y L E Bring Lance another pillow NOW

by Anonymousreply 3901/16/2013

here's a good article about the evil dick

by Anonymousreply 4001/16/2013

I agree with you OP.

by Anonymousreply 4101/16/2013

R41 = Lance Armstrong

by Anonymousreply 4201/16/2013

R37, Ann Coulter *owns* the line "But he lied under oath." And I should know.

by Anonymousreply 4301/16/2013

Amazing that anyone would want to defend this sociopath.

by Anonymousreply 4401/17/2013

It seems that Lance was not nice.

by Anonymousreply 4501/17/2013

hated by the world

by Anonymousreply 4601/17/2013

In November 2012, Armstrong's arrogance and chutzpah was on full display when he tweeted this photo of himself posing in front of his 7 tour de France jerseys.

by Anonymousreply 4701/17/2013

Exactly R47. And now he wants redemption because it's all about Lance and Lance's future.

by Anonymousreply 4801/17/2013

[quote]I have been robbed by drug cheats, but I am fortunate, I am here before you with more in my basket than the 12 year old dreamed of. But for many genuine people out there who do ride clean; people with morals, many of these people have had to leave the sport with nothing after a lifetime of hard work — some going through horrific financial turmoil. When Lance "cries" on Oprah later this week and she passes him a tissue, spare a thought for all of those genuine people who walked away with no reward – just shattered dreams. Each one of them is worth a thousand Lances.

Be nice if the 'I don't care' people could take the time to read Nicole Cooke's retirement speech. Maybe they'd understand that we're talking about workplace issues here, like bullying, exploitation, and inequality. It's not just about 'sport.'

by Anonymousreply 4901/17/2013

You misunderstand, R44. I am not defending Lance. In order to defend him, I would have to care about him and this entire event. I am purely apathetic. I simply don't want to hear about this non-event.

by Anonymousreply 5001/17/2013

When I see the word "lied," I think someone is going to sing a song in German. Instead, it is this.

by Anonymousreply 5101/17/2013

One of the reasons I'd rather not hear about Lance and his lying is because this is a forum for gays about gay things. And sports isn't a gay thing.

by Anonymousreply 5201/17/2013

R15, R17, R29, R31, R34, R43, R50 - you are incredibly invested in this thread for someone who is "purely apathetic."

Why are you so heavily involved in this thread if you "don't want to hear about this non-event"?

It seems to me you want people to prove to you that this event is news-worthy, over and over again, just so that you can say: Nope, I am not interested. You are being transparently passive-aggressive.

by Anonymousreply 5301/17/2013

I know he's a bully and a cheat and a liar. But he's one sexy motherfucker. I'd love to be his bike seat for a few hours.

by Anonymousreply 5401/17/2013

Move to Austin and you can see him all you want. In person he is more Gollum-like, dried up with extremely stretched skin. He really resembles a plucked chicken.

I am not sure you would find him so attractive if you saw him face to face

by Anonymousreply 5501/17/2013

I want to date you, R34.

by Anonymousreply 5601/17/2013

Where do you live, R56?

by Anonymousreply 5701/17/2013

At least he had the ball to admit it.

by Anonymousreply 5801/17/2013

Something was going to leak out. There's no other explanation as to why he's coming clean now.

by Anonymousreply 5901/17/2013

R58 touche.

by Anonymousreply 6001/17/2013

I don't care either. These sports people think they are Olympic gods. They kick or throw balls around for a living, or ride cycles. They are children who never grew up. There's certainly no intellect there. People are acting like Lance has been a secret member of Al Quada.

by Anonymousreply 6101/17/2013

Perhaps, R45. But is he snooty?

by Anonymousreply 6201/17/2013

Did Sheryl Crow know and why hasn't the press been hounding her?

by Anonymousreply 6301/19/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!