Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What is the best brand of ketchup?

And do you ever spell it "catsup"?

by Anonymousreply 4701/17/2013

The best is Heinz Reduced Sugar but just this month they have made the bottle smaller and tripled the price. It was good for low carb and diabetics, but they lost me as a customer.

by Anonymousreply 101/16/2013

Hate Heinz. Too sour.

by Anonymousreply 201/16/2013

Mother's, fresh off the stove.

by Anonymousreply 301/16/2013

Buy the bottle of Heinz chili sauce instead. It is like ketchup, just amped up.

by Anonymousreply 401/16/2013

Ketchup is just a vinegar delivery system anyway, so I just use a good vinegar.

by Anonymousreply 501/16/2013

Malcolm Gladwell's great take on Ketchup. A great read!!!

by Anonymousreply 601/16/2013

Good one, r3.

by Anonymousreply 701/16/2013

America's Test Kitchen voted for Hunt's. They took out the HFCS from their ketchup a couple of years ago but nobody liked it anymore. Now, they have their regular HFCS product and another 'natural' ketchup that does not contain HFCS.

I'm not sure if it was the non-HFCS recipe that won the taste test or the regular one.

by Anonymousreply 801/16/2013

I don't like the "catsup" spelling. What's the origin?

by Anonymousreply 901/16/2013

They are all nasty flavor maskers...try mayo.

by Anonymousreply 1001/16/2013

by Anonymousreply 1201/16/2013

I make my own ketchup right after I finish making my own mayonnaise, salsa, barbecue sauce, bath soap, and laundry detergent.

I used the same pots, pans, and utensils for all so there's less clean up.

by Anonymousreply 1301/16/2013

R13, don't be silly. There is no reason for a normal person to bother making soaps and detergents, unless one has sufficient potash and lanolin from other endeavors and one doesn't want to apply them to other uses.

Of course the foodstuffs mentioned naturally are made at home. What self-respecting person would do otherwise. You make it sound like it's some sort of achievement. And naturally one doesn't use the same pots and pans, not that with proper cleaning it couldn't be done - the accoutrements used for all these things are different. Everyone knows that.

It could just be my natural suspiciousness, but I suspect you were trying to make some sort of snappy joke to cover the fact that you know more about the availability of various flavored potato chip products across a range of convenience stores in your area than you know about simple tasks that any person of quality and cheer knows.

Next time you sink your yellow bicuspids into a pawful of Frunt's Extra Salty Jalapeno Huevos Ranch Sweet Pickle Chips with Thai Spices, take a moment to consider your sad state. And why your face is now indelibly a fluorescent magenta.

by Anonymousreply 1401/16/2013

R9, ketchup originated as a vinegar-based sauce in what is now Indonesia. At the time it was the Dutch East Indies. The spelling of the Indonesian language (a variety of Malay) was standardized by the Dutch according to the rules of Dutch orthography.

The sounds that are spelled "ketchup" in English are rendered "catsup" in Dutch spelling.

by Anonymousreply 1501/16/2013

R11, note that not everyone has land and space to plant 5000 tomatoes. Or is that hard to comprehend?

by Anonymousreply 1601/16/2013

[quote]It could just be my natural suspiciousness, but I suspect you were trying to make some sort of snappy joke

Is that natural suspiciousness organic?

by Anonymousreply 1701/16/2013

r13, I make my own pots and pans and utensils, and cook over a fire from wood I grew and harvested myself.

by Anonymousreply 1801/16/2013

Oh yeah, R18?

Well, I make my own air and water out the atoms that I create.

Top THAT, bub!

by Anonymousreply 1901/16/2013

I make my own dishwashing detergent because after the phosphates were removed from automatic dishwasher detergents I couldn't get dishes clean in our hard water. It's a very simple formula and requires little effort.

Sometimes it's not about homesteading mentality, it's a matter of necessity.

by Anonymousreply 2001/16/2013

Ketchup is for people who are poor and can't afford good food, so they put tomato on it.

by Anonymousreply 2101/16/2013

This is quite good - Heinz with balsamic:

by Anonymousreply 2201/16/2013

When I was a kid my parents always bought Snider's Chile Pepper Catsup because it had a little hotness and zing. I don't know what happened to it, but I haven't seen it in years. It was much better than regular catsup/ketchup but apparently didn't survive.

by Anonymousreply 2301/16/2013

Heinz is gross and too sugary. Presidents Choice, else Aylmer.

by Anonymousreply 2401/16/2013

Hey you homemakers why don't you post some of your recipes.

by Anonymousreply 2501/16/2013

If you hate ketchup so much, try Durkee's Dressing:

by Anonymousreply 2601/16/2013

Those homemakers are full of shit!

by Anonymousreply 2701/16/2013

Those homemakers are full of frau!

by Anonymousreply 2801/16/2013

R10, I wouldn't put mayo on either of the two things I use ketchup for, grilled cheese sandwiches or French fries. It would get warm, and who wants warm mayo? Disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 2901/16/2013

R16, please quit making excuses for substandard quality of life grounded in laziness and lack of vision. And, of course, it does not take 5000 tomato plants to produce ketchup. A few score will cover all tomato uses (fresh, dried, sauced (including ketchup), and so on.

Again, if you have the taste buds of a hyena, by all means enjoy the commercial products designed and shelved for your kind. However, it is simply the arrogance of the low to complain that others live better by effort and inclination. Envy is such as ugly thing.

by Anonymousreply 3001/16/2013

The best ketchup was Brooks, but they went out of business. It was made at a St. Louis suburb, I think on the Illinois side of the river, and the factory had a water tank in the shape of their iconic bottle. It was a few years ago when I drove by there and saw the water tower, and it was rusty and in poor condition, so I don't know if it is still there. I think they may have used the catsup spelling, because I remember that my brother and I would call it cat soup. It was very spicy and tangy.

by Anonymousreply 3101/16/2013

I just bought a jar of Sir Kensington's. I like it.

by Anonymousreply 3201/16/2013

[quote]Envy is such as ugly thing.

by Anonymousreply 3301/16/2013

For the most part it doesn't matter to me. Store brand, Heinz, Hunt's, whatever. I like some better, but not enough to make a difference.

But, I'm sure DL has some ketchup status queens.

by Anonymousreply 3401/16/2013

[quote]The best ketchup was Brooks, but they went out of business.

No that's not true. What you mean is: "The ketchup I liked the best was Brooks."

If they had truly been the best, they'd be in business.

Please don't project inaccurate statements.

by Anonymousreply 3501/16/2013

R35, do not pass go, do not collect $200, just go straight to hell.

by Anonymousreply 3601/16/2013

[quote] I wouldn't put mayo on either of the two things I use ketchup for, grilled cheese sandwiches or French fries.

Ketchup on grilled cheese?

by Anonymousreply 3701/16/2013

Red Gold.

by Anonymousreply 3801/16/2013

r30 is a pretentious twat.

by Anonymousreply 3901/16/2013

Is R35 truly naive enough to believe the only reason a company goes out of business is the quality of its product?

Also, has R35 ever unclenched that sphincter?

I had forgotten about Brooke's. It really was quite good.

by Anonymousreply 4001/16/2013

I was thinking the same thing, r40. Businesses can go under for various reasons, like mismanagement or other reasons.

by Anonymousreply 4101/16/2013

R39, I'm sorry you feel that way. But you just prove my point. Go ahead and keep living the way you do, buying things off dirty shelves because you are too - well - let's say unmotivated to live a more enjoyable life. That's fine. I'm just grateful I don't have to smell the toxins seeping out of your skin from all the chemicals that Kraft stirs into your mac and cheese. Or is it your canned chili? Oh, but you probably smoke, so who would notice?

Anyway, it also occurs to me that some people who make their own ketchup may also be using commercial vinegar. It's so easy to make your own vinegars - the basics of white, apple cider, red and white wine and malt - that it would be silly to not use them when processing your tomatoes. No, of course balsamic vinegar has to be purchased. I don't make my own Champagne, either. Because it wouldn't be Champagne. But for heaven's sake why not make your own fundamentals and enjoy the quality instead of living like a Walmart sample muncher in denial?

by Anonymousreply 4201/16/2013

Because I have better things to do with my time and it all becomes shit in 12 hours or less anyway.

by Anonymousreply 4301/16/2013

Of the standard brands, I like Stokely the best.

by Anonymousreply 4401/16/2013

by Anonymousreply 4501/16/2013

I kinda' like those colored ketchups (catsups) that one of the big commercial producers offered for a while - green, purple, yellow, maybe some others - but I just can't seem to find them anymore (maybe malcolms' babies didn't go for them - I just don't know.).

by Anonymousreply 4601/16/2013

R43, we can imagine what those "better things" are. Yes we can. Curing cancer, learning languages, volunteering, right? Of course.

And as far as everything turning to shit, if that's your attitude about it, why don't you just save yourself the bother of digestive conversion and head for a dog run?

Again, it's nothing to me how people "waste" their time.

by Anonymousreply 4701/17/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!