Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Southern Decadence 2013

Anyone going?

I'm a newbie, both for the event and for New Orleans. Anything I should know? Anything to avoid, or to definitely do?

by Anonymousreply 5409/07/2013

Tons of beads, open cups of beer on the street, fat middle-aged Southern gay men with names like "Dale" and "Trey" and "Dwayne"... it sounds like my idea of heaven,m frankly.

by Anonymousreply 101/15/2013

OP - New Orleans is fun just about any time of year. It depends on what you want to do... see the city or go to what's turned into a sort of low-grade circuit party split between thirtysomething queens and fiftysomething bears, crammed four to a hotel room.

SD used to be centered on the Sunday parade, which was a big fun genderfuck stagger through the French Quarter with trashy and often funny costumes. Nowadays it's more like a five-day bar and street bacchanal and the tourists don't bring much other than chaps and circuit wear. A lot of people don't even realize there's a parade.

And a lot of the attendees now arrive already messy drunk and fucked-up and don't sober up for days.

A lot of locals avoid most of it. And the crowd

It really comes down to what you'd think would be fun -- hitting the city and seeing the sights during the day and going to the bars at night (which you can do any time of the year) ... or throwing yourself into a big, sweaty, messy circuit party.

by Anonymousreply 201/15/2013

Take out one day to see the town sober - but I'll say that New Orleans has some of the best food in the country. It's difficult to get a really bad meal - a bold statement which I'm sure someone will post and say is untrue - but you can get some really good local food everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 301/15/2013

"I'm a newbie, both for the event and for New Orleans. Anything I should know? Anything to avoid, or to definitely do"

Buy a time machine so that you can return to 1978.

by Anonymousreply 401/15/2013

I'm going, only because I happen to have a client sending me there on business that Thursday so I thought I might as well stay. After all, a little trashy fun never hurt anybody (as long as you play safe). Anybody know anything about the Bearballs pool party?

by Anonymousreply 508/21/2013

bump

by Anonymousreply 608/21/2013

[quote]Anybody know anything about the Bearballs pool party?

A lot of fat guys in a pool eating. A LOT of eating. The bears go to the pool parties for the food, I kid you not.

If you're not part of the local bear crowd it may be hard to socialize at something like this.

by Anonymousreply 708/21/2013

My partner and I are going. We've gone the last four years. Several of our friends are going also. Always a good time.

by Anonymousreply 808/21/2013

[quote]middle-aged Southern gay men with names like "Dale" and "Trey" and "Dwayne"...

Don't forget "Lindsay"!

by Anonymousreply 908/21/2013

Obese, drunk, horny homos in large groups. Yay!

by Anonymousreply 1008/21/2013

Sounds like something I should look into.

by Anonymousreply 1108/21/2013

I went there once, and never again.

TOO crowded (couldn't even get into bars). VERY hot and VERY VERY Humid. Really uncomfortable. And tons of really fat, really hairy, shirtless, and sweaty guys packing the bars and streets. Ugh.

Halloween is a lot more fun. Better weather, not as crowded, better eye-candy.

by Anonymousreply 1208/21/2013

I got there on a late Sunday afternoon at the end of it one year just by chance. I had business on Monday. It was not pretty. By that time it was well past most of their expiration dates.

by Anonymousreply 1308/21/2013

I'm going too. This will be my second SD, but my third overall trip to NOLA. I was going to go last year, but Hurricane Isaac derailed my plans. It's hotter than hell there this time of year, but you will have a ball. I was stunned the first time I attended SD because I'd heard about the men walking around in next to nothing and all the debauchery, but to see it with my own two eyes was another story.

If you're adventurous, go to RAWHIDE. The first time I ever went in there I was literally shocked beyond belief by what was going on. It's just a sweaty, wall-to-wall, naked, dirty, rauncy mass of men fucking, sucking, kissing, licking, pissing, spitting and doing everything else you can imagine. It's pretty small, and there's a dark back room with a pool table where all the dirty deeds go down. Last time I was there, there was a very hot guy standing on top of the pool table, buck naked, letting a line of men come up and service him. And doesn't even scratch the surface of everything else that was happening.

Also, if you like go go boys, The Corner Pocket is a nice little spot. Friendly bartenders and some of the guys are hot, some a little sketchy. There are several other bars that have go go boys throughout the French Quarter as well.

Chi Chi LaRue usually hosts the Big Dick Contest at the Bourbon Pub. It was wall to wall people and a lot of fun last time I was there. I think hottie Ben Cohen is supposed to be appearing at SD this year, too.

There are several bathhouses if that's your thing. One of them is near the French Quarter if I remember correctly.

There are tons of little shops in the surrounding area that have novelties, clothes, masks, etc.

Try to avoid wandering away from the French Quarter, particularly at night and if you're out by yourself.

If you like Mexican food, there's a nice little restaurant called El Gata Negro that's not too far from The French Quarter. They have great guacamole.

Also, have some beignets. Have a muffalotta. And, last but not least, have a Hurricane. Hell, have four. It's Southern Decadence!

by Anonymousreply 1408/21/2013

I'm so there!

by Anonymousreply 1508/21/2013

MuffulETTA. Roast Beef PoBoys.

It has actually been less hot the last few days. The humidity was back today because it's been storming. But the weather this last week or so has been warm rather than miserable like it usually is right now.

And no hurricanes lurking currently. Good time to come. So to speak.

by Anonymousreply 1608/21/2013

[quote]Try to avoid wandering away from the French Quarter, particularly at night and if you're out by yourself.

Well, y'all will miss all the fun upstairs at the Eagle!

by Anonymousreply 1708/21/2013

Right, R17. In a cab is fine. I just meant don't go walking outside of TFQ in the surrounding areas at night.

by Anonymousreply 1808/21/2013

Take United cabs. And not every part of the Quarter is safe either, be careful about dark deserted streets.

by Anonymousreply 1908/22/2013

[quote]Take United cabs. And not every part of the Quarter is safe either, be careful about dark deserted streets.

If you're just going around the Quarter and Marigny with friends, it'll probably be faster and more fun to take pedicabs. They charge about a dollar per block and the bicycle drivers tend to be fun and very gay-friendly.

Not to be impolite, but if you load up the back of the pedicab with four bears of size, be sports and tip the driver more for the extra exertion.

by Anonymousreply 2008/22/2013

by Anonymousreply 2108/22/2013

[quote]Anything to avoid,

Yes, Southern Decadence 2013.

by Anonymousreply 2208/23/2013

by Anonymousreply 2308/25/2013

I just sampled about four hours of Decadence (which is all I could take). One of the bars was having a semi-private party where anything went -- one admission price bought you all you could drink and, uh, all you could do.

Lots of large guys openly fucking in the bar and even more people just walking around naked (there was a clothes check). One scrawny guy was getting tag-teamed while he kept squealing "I'm a COCK WHORE... I'm a COCK WHORE...." There were blow jobs, there was rimming, there were fucked-up people everywhere.

Average age seemed to be between 40 and 60, and yes, I saw someone walking around in a Nasty Pig jockstrap.

The funniest sight was some large bear trying to walk across the barroom in a straight line, attempting to act like he wasn't smashed out of his mind. People got out of his way. When he reached the other side, he casually leaned up against a pair of swinging doors leading out to a patio and just tipped over and through them.

A bartender friend who was well and truly over it said that last night some queen came up while the bar was packed and asked for a Hurricane. He snapped "This ain't Pat O'Briens, queen! You want a drink OR NOT?"

by Anonymousreply 2408/31/2013

SLAP them

by Anonymousreply 2508/31/2013

Good post, R24

by Anonymousreply 2609/01/2013

make sure you have all of your shots

by Anonymousreply 2709/01/2013

r24, that all sounds like The Folsom St Fair or Dore Alley without the heat and humidity.

by Anonymousreply 2809/01/2013

R22 is on the mark.

New Orleans is fun any time and you can avoid the unmanageable crowds.

I was there earlier in the month and had a blast. The second day I was there was Red Dress Day (or whatever it's called.) Amazing. All day these guys--and girls of course--walking around in red dresses.

The really cute guys wore the most skimpy, sheer dresses. Now I've never had any interest in trannies, but these guys were adorable. More like a frat boy prank than drag queens.

Damn, some were so hot, with such good legs, that you could completely overlook the dress.

by Anonymousreply 2909/01/2013

Come on in, the HIV is fine!

by Anonymousreply 3009/01/2013

[quote]I was there earlier in the month and had a blast. The second day I was there was Red Dress Day (or whatever it's called.) Amazing. All day these guys--and girls of course--walking around in red dresses. The really cute guys wore the most skimpy, sheer dresses. Now I've never had any interest in trannies, but these guys were adorable. More like a frat boy prank than drag queens.

Red Dress Run is a total fratboy party. Tens of thousands of 'em in red dresses, usually with their girlfriends. I don't know any gay men who do it, and all the twenty- and thirtysomething "bros" in my office wouldn't miss it.

by Anonymousreply 3109/01/2013

Just got back from SD 2013. It was a good ol' time, but by day two I was reminded of why I only do NOLA on occasion. It's filthy and smelly beyond belief (The French Quarter, that is). How anyone could actually live there is a mystery.

by Anonymousreply 3209/01/2013

The only time I ever got crabs and scabies was at SD and I never even had sex with anyone nor touched or let anyone else touch me. It still is a mystery.

by Anonymousreply 3309/01/2013

I went to Rawhide, and it is truly a scary, gross, yet fascinating and slightly titillating experience. There were literally men who were completely naked and draped over the pool table in back, with their asses out, waiting for the next man to just come up from behind and pound him. Do these men have a deathwish or something?

by Anonymousreply 3409/01/2013

It's also Girth and Mirth Convergence weekend this weekend, so there will be wellsprings of fat dudes in and around Southern Decadence.

Be aware (or beware).

by Anonymousreply 3509/01/2013

Are there any survivors?

Has Kennel Cough started yet among the fest-goers?

by Anonymousreply 3609/02/2013

That would be hot if it weren't all old fat disgusting hairy men. Bleh.

I remember the days when hot guys did that in New Orleans. Doesn't seem to happen much any more. I guess they all hook up on Grindr or something, and do it in private orgies.

by Anonymousreply 3709/02/2013

Yuck. Decadence WAS fun... Like ten or more years ago.

Now, like others have said, it's a mass of fat bears, public nudity from those who should remain clothed and sweaty, smelly middle aged men trying to cop a feel on the young'uns.

I wouldn't go back now if you paid me. Fucking tacky.

by Anonymousreply 3809/02/2013

All of the above is right on. I found this and it will give past and future people some idea of what its like. Halloween is better.

by Anonymousreply 3909/03/2013

Years ago, SD was more of a hippie-bohemian (and straight) holiday, from what I've been told. When I first became aware of it (in the mid-1990s), it was a costume parade: "Dress a mess." The goal was witty bad taste and the big part of the weekend was the parade, which staggered through the French Quarter, surprising unsuspecting Labor Day tourists.

The third incarnation seemed to be as a weekend-long circuit party. Lots of circuit queens tweaking out of their minds, as well as some leather guys.

After Katrina, it seems to have turned into what it is now: middle-aged guys and lots of barebacking bears.

I miss the funny costumes. This year someone tweeted a photo of a bunch of guys in matching curly red wigs and orange caftans behind a banner that read "The Million Mrs. Roper March." Decadence could use more of that, and less gonorrhea.

by Anonymousreply 4009/03/2013

OP, you could arrange to meet up with R5 and you two can bump pussies!

by Anonymousreply 4109/03/2013

I'm a bit slutty, but this sounds disgusting. I have a few old videos of the cock shows, gogo hunks and occasional public pissing; one guy got jacked off from a balcony.

Creative editing must have made it look better than it is/was.

by Anonymousreply 4209/04/2013

Now that it's over what did you think OP? I say it's one of those things that if you have not done it, you should experience it. However, even the locals say the best time to come to New Orleans is during Halloween as someone else noted. What I don't like about New Orleans are their open gun laws. Alcohol, drunkeness, tempers, and guns, do not mix. The random shootings are becoming more frequent and so you have to be careful anytime you go there.

I tell ya...what is surprising me here is the amount of discrimination by many of you. Okay, so you don't like bears (of which I'm not by the way) but WOWEE!!! some of you are very vicious with your comments about them. During the times I have attended SD I have found it to be very diverse. I've always found what I wanted and what I did not want I just stayed away from it. I found no reason to demean others that were there.

by Anonymousreply 4309/04/2013

Not the OP but we got back last night and had a great time. We found a great little club (not gay) that had a fantastic happy hour that we hit three times. We also did the parade and some of the bars and that was a lot of fun.

We just didn't overdo anything. It's easy to get caught up in the festivities and drink too much, stay out to late etc. Which is fine if you want to. We just wanted to have fun and feel good then next day so we were back at the hotel by midnight. One night we didn't go out at all.

by Anonymousreply 4409/04/2013

I was there Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Had to leave before the parade on Sunday. I mostly hung out at Bourbon Pub, Good Friends and the 700 Club and I stayed out Thursday and Friday until 2:00 am. I didn't see any open sex, peeing in the street or even an exposed penis (except on stage at Bourbon Pub). I think if you want the debauchery described by R24, you have to seek it out, maybe at the Ramrod or the Phoenix. That's not what's going on at most bars.

by Anonymousreply 4509/04/2013

OP, you should avoid the event altogether. It is vile and repulsive.

by Anonymousreply 4609/04/2013

Too late R46. SD was this past weekend. I agree with R45. If you want debauchery you have to seek it out. I bet it was HOT as hell down there!!! That is one of the reasons why I do not go.

by Anonymousreply 4709/04/2013

SD was never a "straight" holiday. Originated by the gays for the gays about the gays.

by Anonymousreply 4809/04/2013

And it didn't start in New Orleans. It started in Pensacola.

by Anonymousreply 4909/04/2013

People have started to upload pictures and videos of the weekend. From these images it doesn't look as crowded as it normally gets but it still looks like a good time!

by Anonymousreply 5009/04/2013

[quote]And it didn't start in New Orleans. It started in Pensacola.

Like the spoke of some great wheel, don't all new things and new ideas emanate from Pensacola?

by Anonymousreply 5109/05/2013

[quote]I didn't see any open sex, peeing in the street or even an exposed penis (except on stage at Bourbon Pub).

Well, you didn't go to RAWHIDE then. There was plently of nakedness, anonymous fucking, sucking, jacking and everything else imaginable going on there.

by Anonymousreply 5209/05/2013

Ah... Rawhide. Talk about the mess going on in there!

by Anonymousreply 5309/06/2013

So, is it worth going?

by Anonymousreply 5409/07/2013
Need more help? Click Here.