Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

How do you and your partner have your home titled?

And how is your home listed in your will?

Same-sex couples only, please.

by Anonymousreply 1704/21/2014

We each own a 50% share titled to our revocable trusts.

by Anonymousreply 101/15/2013

We call it "Manderly."

by Anonymousreply 201/15/2013

"Sans-Souci Palace"

by Anonymousreply 301/15/2013

The title is in my name. If I pre-decease him, he inherits my entire estate, including the house.

I think we'll put the house into trust though. That way we can avoid probate.

by Anonymousreply 401/15/2013

Chance Cole Manor - our two first names combined.

by Anonymousreply 501/15/2013

Do you really need a trust like Suze Orman says? I haven't met a partner yet or have children. I just have a will that goes to my parents. After that I don't really care who gets what my siblings can just fight over things for all I care.

by Anonymousreply 601/15/2013

R6, you're fine without a trust. If you don't have a lot of assets or aren't trying to pass them to someone who needs them without letting them sit in probate for a bit, a trust isn't necessary.

by Anonymousreply 701/15/2013

Joint tenancy with right of survivorship.

by Anonymousreply 801/15/2013

I have a serious question.

My partner wants to refinance the house and put my name on it. I'm not sure I want this and I need be honest about it.

1) The house isn't that great and we're bascially trying to patch things up all the time. It's not my dream home.

2) I'm pretty sure the house is underwater.

3) I can't afford the house on my own, so if a catrastrophe happend, I woudl be stuck with this house, underwater and I couldn't afford the payments as is.

I have to ask the ver seirous practical question: What's the benefit of puttin my name on it?

by Anonymousreply 904/20/2014

Can't you get mortgage insurance r9

by Anonymousreply 1004/20/2014

It's totally in my name. We keep all finances separate. No co-mingling of funds. What's mine is mine and what's his is his.

by Anonymousreply 1104/20/2014

"Mansfield Park"

by Anonymousreply 1204/20/2014

Can i leave in my will the option for my partner to buy my half of the house from my estate for $1?

by Anonymousreply 1304/20/2014

[quote]I have to ask the ver seirous practical question: What's the benefit of puttin my name on it?

Be careful, that's a common practice when the borrower has credit problems and the mortgage company is looking for additional security.

He might not be able to get the loan on his own credit. You'll be on the hook for the whole balance if things go wrong.

by Anonymousreply 1404/20/2014

As R8 said, the easiest way to do it in most states is for the couple to own the house as joint tenants with right of survivorship.

Upon the death of one of the co-owners, the deceased's interest in the property passes immediately and automatically to the surviving owner. It avoids probate.

That can be good or bad depending on the relationship, so think it over before you do it. For example, the deceased owner might want to leave some money to parents or relatives in their will. They still can, but not from the equity in the house, since that's no longer part of the estate.

It also requires equal ownership interest. In the case of two people, that would be 50/50. One owner couldn't have 75% and the other 25%. Probably not a problem unless one person put $100,000 of their savings into the property and the other didn't.

Both parties also need to acquire their ownership at the same time. If one partner owns a house, you can't just add the 2nd partner and make them a joint tenant (well you can, but you'll need a lawyer).

by Anonymousreply 1504/20/2014

Kibbles and Bits. It's a summer cottage at the beach.

by Anonymousreply 1604/21/2014

All of our property is jointly held. However, you better be in a very stable relationship or it could blow up in your face.

by Anonymousreply 1704/21/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!