Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What did the average American think of Dynasty during the original run?

I'm in my 20's and currently discovering Dynasty on DVD. I'm in the second season and am LOVING it! Joan Collins is so deliciously campy and I idolize Pamela Sue Martin.

When it originally ran was it a huge hit, or more a mild cult hit? Did it hit the SATC demographic or did only gay men appreciate it (the show seems to be written for the sole enjoyment of gay men!)?

by Anonymousreply 12402/01/2013

We did not think. We were in thrall of Ronnie Reagan.

by Anonymousreply 101/15/2013

I was a kid in the 80s and Dynasty was very popular, along with Dallas. They were both huge ratings hits and very much a part of mainstream pop culture. My mother, aunts and their female friends would watch both shows every week and talk about them afterwards. I also remember my female teachers in elementary school discussing Dynasty and Dallas when I over heard their conversations in the hallways.

I didn't know any gay men (that I knew about, anyway) when I was a kid, but as an adult, older gay male friends of mine told me Dynasty was a big hit with gay men in the 80s as well. Dallas was also popular with gay men, but not as much.

by Anonymousreply 201/15/2013

It was pretty much a mini sensation back in the 80s. The shoulder pad power suits, the epic catfights. Not exactly a critics' favorite, but it got high ratings at least until the last season or two.

It even warranted attention from Prince: "You don't have to watch Dynasty to have an attitude..."

by Anonymousreply 301/15/2013

Dynasty was for old line rich folks and blue state gays.

Dallas was the soap for all of the Republicans and all of the nouveau riche in the South.

by Anonymousreply 401/15/2013

I'm watching Dallas too, and I'm enjoying it for the most part, after making it through the first season that is. Dallas doesn't seem as outrageous as Dynasty, but both are a lot of fun.

Dallas lasted so much longer than Dynasty, which is why I questioned whether it was the hit the former was.

by Anonymousreply 501/15/2013

Both Dallas and Dynasty were huge, even though Dallas lasted longer. I liked both.

by Anonymousreply 601/15/2013

Dynasty was not an instant hit. You'll notice, OP, that after the second season, Dynasty's quality starts to go down as it gets ever campier. But the ratings went up the campier it got. Out of its 9 seasons, it was in the Nielsen Top Ten for 4 (seasons 3-6). Season 5 it was the #1 show.

Dallas was on for 13 seasons (14 if you count the miniseries of 5 episodes). It was in the Nielsen Top Ten for 7 seasons (seasons 3-9) and was #11 for season 10.

Dynasty never became the phenomenon that Dallas was in its heyday. Overall, I think Dallas was the better show for a lot longer. But Dynasty certainly was popular and symbolized 80s excess and greed.

by Anonymousreply 701/15/2013

DYNASTY was like a Xanadu for gay people. A place where shoulder pads, bugle beads and bitches collided once a week to form such a enticing cocktail.

by Anonymousreply 801/15/2013

Dynasty got stupid faster than Dallas, that's why Dallas lasted longer.

Dynasty was way over the top, compared to Dallas.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I feel like Dallas retained the original production team longer than Dynasty did... new hands kept getting brought on for Dynasty hence the increasingly stupid. Dallas, for the most part, also retained a significant number of the original cast. Dynasty was a bit of a revolving door. Like Dynasty, Dallas faded more as they start producing more and more long lost relations.

Dynasty's original strength was they really made their millionaires look like millionaires. Dallas, except for the Mercedes and occasional fur coat, was much less glam. The Carrington mansion was a mansion. Southfork was a McMansion.

by Anonymousreply 901/15/2013

We didn't think of them as campy back when they aired, because that was the style then. We were just enthralled by the elaborate and expensive 80s lifestyle and drama.

When my bf and I visited Ireland during that time, we walked into a country pub and Dynasty was on the TV. The audience was mostly men and they seemed really into the show. I remarked to my bf: "Oh, I've seen this episode already" and almost in unison, the guys all turned and shouted: "Don't tell us what happens!"

by Anonymousreply 1001/15/2013

Linda Evans was the most popular woman in America in the 1980s, she was basically like Princess Diana in other words, regarded as a fairy tale queen- pure royalty. People had that deep rooted need and she gave them what they wanted so much so that Linda won the People's Choice award for 5 five straight years. Each time, the audience reacted to her like she was their sovereign.

Linda Evans Favorite Actress 1982:

by Anonymousreply 1101/15/2013

Linda Evans Favorite Actress 1983:

by Anonymousreply 1201/15/2013

Linda Evans Favorite Actress 1984:

by Anonymousreply 1301/15/2013

Linda Evans Favorite Actress 1985:

by Anonymousreply 1401/15/2013

Linda Evans Favorite Actress 1986:

by Anonymousreply 1501/15/2013

By all accounts, Linda Evans is actually a pretty lovely person as well.

by Anonymousreply 1601/15/2013

As campy and shitty as it looks now, having an out gay couple in the days of AIDS/Rock Hudson was groundbreaking. It was way ahead of its time as it made the gay protagonist (Stephen) very realisitic in his search for love with his family mostly in opposition

by Anonymousreply 1701/15/2013

Oh, Dex Dex Dex Dex Dex. I would love a hot dog.

by Anonymousreply 1801/15/2013

Girlfriends watched it just to look at the fashion trends. Some have always been curious about the lifestyles of the rich, powerful, famous, and beautiful; others need to make fun of their frivolousness.

by Anonymousreply 1901/15/2013

These are some great responses, thanks!

Funny everyone loved Linda Evans so much. I mean she's great, but Collins is the hoot.

I guess it's also interesting how you say it wasn't camp at the time and only became regarded as such later.

The other two shows I'm interested in are Knot's Landing and Falcon's Crest. How did they compare to Dallas and Dynasty?

by Anonymousreply 2001/15/2013

If they make a Dynasty movie, I have the new Krystle & Alexis at the link:

by Anonymousreply 2101/15/2013

It was boring to me. Never watched it.

by Anonymousreply 2201/15/2013

I had no problem giving it up when I found something more interesting to do that night of the week (a cooking class).

I thought the Gay Stephen story was stupid, and everything else was even stupider.

by Anonymousreply 2301/15/2013

Lara Pulver would make a great Alexis... may be a bit too young. I think Alexis was early forties when she first appeared.

by Anonymousreply 2401/15/2013

Three of us (my partner and I, plus a friend) used to watch this EVERY week. We'd have happy hour first on the way home from work, then continue the party during the show. Great fun. (We knew it was camp, even at the time.)

by Anonymousreply 2501/15/2013

I thought the first season of Dynasty was a drama. Overall, it was pretty restrained in how it tackled some tricky storylines (marital rape, gay son.)

Season two was a melodrama: they pulled out all the stops as Alexis wreaked havoc and her various secrets and nasty stunts came home to roost.

After season three, all hell broke loose after this (Spoiler alert for OP!)

by Anonymousreply 2601/15/2013

The assassination cliffhanger in "Moldavia" (or wherever) was just . . . weird.

by Anonymousreply 2701/15/2013

Does Bo Derek still work? She has the same look as Linda.

by Anonymousreply 2801/15/2013

OP, regarding your question about Falcon Crest and Knots Landing, I think Knots Landing retained the quality of its show longer than any nighttime soap. It was also the most grounded in that, although it went a little crazy making some of the characters wealthy, it focused more on the characters than their money. Over the years, it also successfully added new characters who fit in (e.g., Mac, Paige, Sumner, Nick, Claudia), thus revitalizing the show. Its last couple seasons were the most disappointing, but up until then I watched it religiously.

Falcon Crest was pretty good for about the first 3-4 seasons. I liked when David Selby came on. I always preferred his chemistry with Susan Sullivan over Robert Foxworth's. But the show went a little crazy and campy by the later 80s and never recovered.

by Anonymousreply 2901/15/2013

Alexis and Sable... what a pair!

by Anonymousreply 3001/15/2013

and more. I promise to stop now... such fun though, those two...

by Anonymousreply 3101/15/2013

Dynasty was more popular than Dallas once Joan Collins joined the cast. It always beat Dallas in the ratings. Dallas was running on fumes the last 2 or 3 years it was on, and people barely noticed when it was canceled. Knot's Landing was more popular than Dallas towards the end.

The women on Dynasty wore gorgeous Nolan Miller gowns and furs, while Miss Ellie walked around in a housecoat.

by Anonymousreply 3201/15/2013

I did love Sable - the ONLY good thing about that dreadful Colbys spinoff.

But here's another fabulous twosome....

by Anonymousreply 3301/15/2013

The Dallas actors sometimes drank during filming (that was real booze they were drinking on-camera) and sometimes you could tell when they were half in the bag. Larry Hagman in particular was a huge lush during the Dallas days.

by Anonymousreply 3401/15/2013

Lee was so pretty when she was young.

I read a biography of her--"In Her Sister's Shadow." It was so relentlessly critical that I felt bad for her.

by Anonymousreply 3501/15/2013

Check your facts, R32. Dynasty only beat Dallas once in the season ratings race (84-85) when it was #1 with Dallas #2. Every other year Dallas beat it. Dallas stayed on longer. And when Dynasty fell, its ratings were much lower then when Dallas started to slip. So, it didn't "always beat Dallas in the ratings." Dallas also had a longer run (13 seasons plus a 5 episode original miniseries vs. 9 seasons for Dynasty).

You're right about the clothes, though!

by Anonymousreply 3601/15/2013

OMG Blake isn't Fallon's father?!?!

This show is so good! Onto the next episode...

by Anonymousreply 3701/15/2013

Sammy Jo Caludia slapfest.

by Anonymousreply 3801/15/2013

Dynasty ran from 1981 -89 and Dallas ran from 1978 -91. Dallas was a huge hit from the get-go, but Dynasty didn't really get big until its second season, when Joan Collins joined the cast. By its third season, Dynasty was beating Dallas in the ratings and in 1984 and 1985 it was the #1 rated show on television.

Joan Collins MADE that show.

by Anonymousreply 3901/15/2013

Dallas may have been on the air longer, but it sunk in the ratings the last few years. Nobody watched it towards the end.

by Anonymousreply 4001/15/2013

Season 5 may have been number one in the ratings (tied with Cosby) but I've found it the most dull so far. Joan Collins and Michael Nader had no chemistry, Catherine Oxenberg should have been mute and only able to communicate with sign language, they have no idea what to do with Dominique so they throw her in a hospital bed for several episodes and the once fun, crazy Claudia is dull, Rock Hudson's character is pointless and this rift between Blake and Krystle is so contrived, even for this show.

Season Six isn't a mindblower but it seems to move better. Linda Evans isn't even half bad as Rita. But poor Dominique, saddled with a storyline with two uninteresting men.

by Anonymousreply 4101/15/2013

Nobody watched Dynasty in its last few years either. After its #1 season, it slipped to #7 the next season, then #24. In the same seasons, Dallas was #2, #6, and #11. Dynasty fell a lot faster. I liked both shows back in the day, but Dallas was overall more popular. Dynasty only beat it one year (84-85).

I agree that Joan Collins made the show. Go over to the favorite cliffhangers thread to see her give poor Cecil Colby a heart attack during sex!

by Anonymousreply 4201/15/2013

I'd rather not, R42. Cecil Colby's hairy back and shoulders were enough just once.

by Anonymousreply 4301/15/2013

Alexis was a vacuous drag queen from Season 3 onwards. At least in Season 2 there was a semblance of naturalism and natural femininity to her - she wasn't some two note vamp, she was a talented painter and an introspective lady. You really did root for her in some respects as she had a certain rebellious quality (that great scene in the deserted art studio between her and Joseph the cynical butler who she addresses as "still the IMPOTENT voyeur!") Linda Evans was incredibly strong in those early seasons. I adored her subtle dignity, her sense of self-worth - what Krystle and Alexis shared in Season 2 besides being outsiders who stuck to their guns was their mutual respect for Steven as a gay man and I always remember the tender scenes there, especially between Krystle and Steven. In later seasons, there can be no doubt that Stephanie Beacham's Sable was the most majestic synthesis of both Alexis and Krystle in the early seasons - I'd go as far to say that she was a progression from both of them and one of the greatest, most captivating and unforgettable characters ever created in any medium. I relish the friendship between Krystle and Sable in Season 9 - if you think Beacham pulls off being a bitch, she pulls off the loyal to the end friend with equal skill. Sable was the Mother Lioness and protected everybody she loved.

by Anonymousreply 4401/15/2013

WEHT to Pamela Sue Martin? I only remember her in season one.

I hated it when they replaced Al Corley with that dullard Coleman.

by Anonymousreply 4501/15/2013

OP, I lived in Denver, and everyone was still watching DALLAS but getting a sick of the Texas thing, so when DYNASTY started it was considered an epochal moment in American social and cultural life. Every queen I knew participated in weekly DYNASTY parties, often at the bars. Alexis' character catching fire was the kick that did it. Coloradans acted like they had arrived, especially since it was the moment when Marvin Davis bought 20th Century Fox and Farrah was still occasionally being seen in Evergreen as her and Lee Majors' marriage was still in free fall.

Heady times. Big hair. Big shoulders. Nasty shiny dresses. Angst without intelligence. Flash without dignity, class or styles. And Linda Evans' hair looking like a pile of dry brush waiting for the tiniest spark to burn Boulder down.

by Anonymousreply 4601/15/2013

UK DLer here - we aren't as familiar with American soaps as you are, so when they go a bit mental, we tend to be a a bit "WHAT THE FUCK???"

We do miserable very well (Eastenders does a death every Christmas)

They showed Sunset Beach over here - the voodoo doll storyline was...interesting.

As was the Moldavian wedding in Dynasty. What nice hair they apparently had in Eastern Europe...

by Anonymousreply 4701/15/2013

The first season of "Dynasty" is a very serious, complex story. That all gets tossed out the window in the second season but it was still very enjoyable. The first cat fight between Alexis and Krystle had power because it was the culmination of months of tension and the revelation of Alexis being out shooting the day Krystle miscarried was a great way to have everything explode. People remember the lily pond fight more but that season, there was no real buildup to any tension, the fight just came out of two minutes of angry dialogue. Of course, the audience loved it.

by Anonymousreply 4801/15/2013

[quote] We do miserable very well (Eastenders does a death every Christmas)

I never understood that. I was a big fan of Eastenders when it first came to the states (then PBS fucked with the order and continuity and I got lost).

But I thought that the whole point of having your favorite shows have a Christmas special would be...special. Seeing Pauline dead in the snow doesn't strike me as very heartwarming. And then to do a death every year....seems repetitive.

by Anonymousreply 4901/15/2013

The dumbest show on TV,

And I mean really dumb:

There's Krystal, and Alexis,

And Blake Carrington,

And his faggy son.

And everyone is rich,

And Alexis is a bitch,

And Sammi Jo's a whore,

And Claudia's a bore,

And Steven swings both ways,

With the straights and with the gays,

And Adam is a creep,

The plots are really deep,

Which is more than you can say,

About the dialogue

on DYNASTY... etc.

by Anonymousreply 5001/15/2013

Wait till you meet ME, OP!

by Anonymousreply 5101/15/2013

We had a cliff hanger blow-out party in SF most years it ran with dozens of nelly queens. TVs in every room and costumes.

The best was the the cabin fire cliff hanger where we decorated the front of the house with huge "flames" and hot lights and had valet service with shirtless ( burrrr) hotties serving.

Ah, those were the days. Nothing said SF like shoulder pads and Dynasty.

by Anonymousreply 5201/15/2013

I was 18 in 1981, and had recently moved to NYC. I always worked nights, but I do recall Dynasty was on Wednesday nights, and that they would play it on all the televisions down at Uncle Charlie's on Greenwich. It was the big thing for quite awhile.

by Anonymousreply 5301/15/2013

Knots Landing was my show. The characters were well developed. Remember Julie Harris as Mama? What other show could get Lisa Hartmann (twice!) Ruth Roman, Red Buttons and Alec Baldwin when he was a nobody?

by Anonymousreply 5401/15/2013

There's a deliciously troll.

by Anonymousreply 5501/15/2013

You really missed out on those times, OP. That initial run in the 80s was great. Everyone was glued to their TVs when Dynasty came on, and you were either Team Dynasty, Team Dallas, or Team Knots Landing (I loved them all). Dynasty was most revered for the catfights and the beautiful cast.

by Anonymousreply 5601/15/2013

Knots was the best. Except for that Mills creature.

by Anonymousreply 5701/16/2013

Yeah, 'deliciously' is actually a word, R55. Every literate English speaker is a 'deliciously' troll.

by Anonymousreply 5801/16/2013

To me Dynasty alwaya was the soap that was good but could have been great. Even if some story lines were interesting, the characters remained very underdeveloped. It was like the producers had a true fear of depth. In addition there were those wooden dialogues and cheap production design. Yes, the dresses looked or even were expensive. But the sets looked cheap, even the interior of the Carrington mansion looked like too much card board with no character . Other shows did a much better job with their sets. I also thought it was remarkable how few scenes were filmed outdoors. Just look at Falcon Crest for the opposite approach.

And finally, I thought it was ridiculous how Joan Collins insisted on Alexis being a strong business woman and role model of the 80s. Please. She was fucking around for whatever she wanted. She wasn't a business woman at all.

Still, great fun to watch. Loved PSM's Fallon. Ifvthey ever do Dynasty 2.0 I hope they bring her back. Loved the last season too. Big change to the crappy years before.

by Anonymousreply 5901/16/2013

[quote]'m watching Dallas too, and I'm enjoying it for the most part,

Wow! Do you have any sort of real life, OP?

A guy in his 20s spending his whole life watching crappy 1980s soap operas? Peculiar.

by Anonymousreply 6001/16/2013

r60=collecting Social Security during the first run of Peyton Place.

by Anonymousreply 6101/16/2013

[quote] Constance McCashin, indulging in a PopTarts midnight snack

I would SO pay $18 a year if we just had at least one permanent Constance McCashin thread. LOL

by Anonymousreply 6201/16/2013

Pamela Sue Martin as Fallon was straight out of F Scott Fitzgerald. What an incredible performance.

by Anonymousreply 6301/16/2013

Anyone remember FRESNO?

by Anonymousreply 6401/16/2013

Juan: Mrs. Kensington, I need a raise.

Charlotte: Juan, do you remember what I told you? About the haves and the have notes?

Juan: ... so do I have the raise?

Charlotte: No, you have not.

by Anonymousreply 6501/16/2013

I was in junior high for most of Dynasty's heyday and I remember my two best guy friends and I being obsessed with it.

They are still in the closet.

by Anonymousreply 6601/17/2013

Why was "Dynasty" a big hit?

Because every week Alexis Carrington Colby Your-Name-Here had a different male centerfold-model secretary who had clearly been hired for only one reason and it wasn't his typing skills.

That was reason enough, imo.

by Anonymousreply 6701/17/2013

Dynasty was fucking fabulous. Everyone loved it. The show went over the top eventually, but even then it was good. Multiple marriages, divorces, intrigue, power, super wealth, gay, straight, cheating, backstabbing, fashion, catfights, Joan Collins, etc., etc.

What's not to love?

Dallas was quite good too, but not as fabulous.

by Anonymousreply 6801/17/2013

Dynasty and Dallas were better than anything on regular network television today. No one stays home or goes to a bar to collectively watch a particular TV show nowadays--the way people did in the '80s. Yes, I realize you can now Tivo the shows you miss while you couldn't do that back then.

But Dynasty and Dallas were shared cultural/societal national experiences. It was a kick to share all the highs and lows, trials and melodrama of those shows with your friends and co-workers unlike anything you can do today. Dynasty and Dallas had great production values and great casts.

It's not quite the same thing, but among those who watch "Downton Abbey," it's kind of like that same shared experience about a show that has the attention of so many.

by Anonymousreply 6901/17/2013

[quote] Anyone remember FRESNO?

Hysterical - gone way before its time.

by Anonymousreply 7001/17/2013

[quote]gone way before its time.

It was a miniseries, it wasn't a regular program.

by Anonymousreply 7101/17/2013

Gregory Harrison was so HOT in FRESNO!

by Anonymousreply 7201/17/2013

I never liked any nighttime soaps until Revenge, which I love. Although Revenge is implausible like other soars, I still think it's significantly less cheesy than 80s nighttime soaps.

by Anonymousreply 7301/17/2013

[quote] I never liked any nighttime soaps until Revenge, which I love. Although Revenge is implausible like other soars, I still think it's significantly less cheesy than 80s nighttime soaps.

You must be straight!

by Anonymousreply 7401/17/2013

Dynasty connoisseurs will tell you that S1,2 and S9 are the best!

I love S1 for its quality (they actually discuss Faulkner in an episode)

S2 for the dynamics (but not OTT yet) of Alexis.

S9 Sable Colby - need I say more?

by Anonymousreply 7501/17/2013

Agreed r75. Three brilliant seasons. Even Emma Samms stepped up to the plate in Season 9. Even though she could never match Pamela Sue, she made her mark with the outcome of the Roger Grimes mystery:

by Anonymousreply 7601/17/2013

Dominique and Sable were my favorite of Alexis' foils, followed by "Caress" Morrell, her evil sister who had just been released from prison in Venezuela and wrote a tell all book about Alexis. And of course, Caress Morell is played by none other than Kate O'Mara, otherwise known as Patsy's sister Jackie on AbFab.

by Anonymousreply 7701/17/2013

Does anyone remember an episode when Adam and Steven are working out together at the mansion in tiny, tight 80's shorts and then get into a heated argument then wrestle? When Blake breaks up the fight, Adam has a raging hard-on.

Gordon Thompson was hot.

by Anonymousreply 7801/17/2013

r76, I remember that Emma Samms wasn't bad in season 9. The Roger Grimes storyline was an interesting throwback to earlier seasons.

Though when they killed off Fallon, they should have left her dead.

The alien abduction was ridiculous, but I'd expect nothing less of Dynasty!

by Anonymousreply 7901/17/2013

r79, I adored those opening credits. They were so evocative. The way Pam's Fallon passionately spun around from her mirror contemplation as in the background a wild horse galloped over the glen, symbolizing her delirious and untamed spirit was sheer genius. The way Claudia entered the dark room, turned on the light and reposed over a flat calm lake - awe inspiring, like entering her psyche. Later seasons - Sable in the art museum tossing her fir coat with a knowing smile - sheer, unadulterated glamour.

by Anonymousreply 8001/17/2013

I was a baby gay, 10-12 years old when it was at it's peak. I wouldn't miss an episode. Didn't care much for anyone but Alexis and Dex, I secretly wanted him SO bad. I remember feeling I was going to be filthy rich but no plan how to get there - it didn't turn out that way.

by Anonymousreply 8101/17/2013

R80, let's not forget all the phallic imagery during the credits with the men. The skyscraper for Blake, the clock tower for Dex, the State house spires for Jeff, the spewing geyser for Steven, the exploding champagne bottle for Adam and the best- the gooey white icing being squeezed out of the tube for Joseph.

by Anonymousreply 8201/17/2013

I LOVED Caress, R77! But.they never used her to full advantage, which was a damn shame. In spite of her good start on DYNASTY, Dominique never reached her potential either. And her rivalry with Alexis never really had the depth of Alexis' rivalry with Krystle. There was no reason for her to be locked and loaded for Alexis when she first came to Denver.

by Anonymousreply 8301/17/2013

[quote] There was no reason for her to be locked and loaded for Alexis when she first came to Denver.

Oh yes there was. Alexis was a Vipah!

by Anonymousreply 8401/17/2013

The show seemed to back away from the Krystle/Alexis rivalry for Seasons 4 and 5 which was too bad. Far too few scenes. Thankfully, they brought it back in Season 6. Anything to get Alexis away from the dreadfully dull Dexter/Amanda/Galen/Michael storyline. Collins even seems to have a sprak back when she is getting under Krystle's skin about the abduction.

by Anonymousreply 8501/17/2013

Did anybody ever, ever give a shit about those South China Sea oil leases?

by Anonymousreply 8601/17/2013

Kate O'Mara fans - here she is in the first English attempt to make a Dallas/Dynasty style super-soap for the BBC - "Triangle" - set in the glamorous 1980s world of a North Sea ferry which sails from Felixstowe to Gothenburg and Gothenburg to Amsterdam.

This is HILARIOUS - the first scene of the show features O'Mara sunbathing topless on the deck in plainly freezing conditions:

by Anonymousreply 8701/17/2013

If you have a DVD player that will play PAL DVDs, Season 9 is being released on January 28. It may be many years (if ever) before it's released in the US. They just released Season 6 last summer.

The show's tone was returning to its campy prime but with much more compelling storylines. It was arguably my favorite season and it's a shame that just as the show was getting back.

And Sable! OMG, on DL a few years ago there was a long thread just about Season 9 called "Colby vs Colby."

by Anonymousreply 8801/18/2013

I found the sagging tits distracting.

by Anonymousreply 8901/19/2013

In my twenties too and on season 6 now, I agree, it's great!!!

I wish they would bring it back. Heather Locklear gotta eat.

by Anonymousreply 9001/19/2013

Native NY homo here- my bf watched Dynasty without fail each week and I never saw one single episode. I was a Dallas guy- there was a deep divide among the two shows- I knew of no one who watched both- either or....that was it....still have not seen a single full episode of Dynasty, but NEVER missed Dallas, never....have not read this whole thread, but the most glam night of the year on Dallas was the annual Cattleman's Ball.......remember that!?!?!??!?!?!?

by Anonymousreply 9101/19/2013

I remember Dynasty nights at Uncle Charlie's NYC (the first popular "video bar"). And r91 may be into something, I truly didn't know anyone that watched both soaps.

by Anonymousreply 9201/19/2013

I grew up in Germany so American shows got aired a lot later thanks to being dubbed in German. I was obessed with the opening credits of Dynasty and Falcon Crest. I just loved the music and the visuals. As a kid the Stephen character confused me, because I didn't know much about sexuality and with my black and white kind of thinking I couldn't figure out how he was able to hook up with men and women while all the other men were hooking up with women only.

Back then you only had a handful of TV stations, so the selection of what to watch was limited and of course the whole watercooler phenomena was in its prime where adults and kids talked about what they watched on TV the day or night before and how much you were an outcast if you couldn't join the conversation. I bet some people started to watch shows like Dynasty and Dallas only so they wouldn't stand out for the wrong reasons and that way got dragged into liking the shows.

Warning! Spoiler ahead (for guys like OP who have not yet watched season six): Luke Fuller getting killed in the Moldavian Massacre broke my heart. And it also started my dislike for Claudia who bitterly said something like Luke being more of a Carrington family member than her. After that Moldavian massacre episode I started to lose interest in the show and moved on.

by Anonymousreply 9301/19/2013

Dual "Dynasty" and "Dallas" fan here. The former peaked in the 1985-86 season (the year of the fake Krystle and the famous mudslide fight with Alexis) but "Dallas" was actually interesting all the way up to its bizarro Joel-Grey-as-Satan last episode. The latter had a fixed sense of place while "Dynasty" always seemed have one foot in London, Australia or Paris.

by Anonymousreply 9401/19/2013

Dallas tried that cosmopolitan feel of Dynasty with the Barbara Carrera guest stint, but that was all redone when Patrick Duffy decided he wanted to come back after all.

by Anonymousreply 9501/19/2013

Dallas were a bunch of rich hicks. You can't BUY class. Nothing to do with money, it's to do with manner. Watch Dynasty, especially the first and last season - have a look at Krystle, Fallon, Sable, original Steven, Blake, Claudia - THAT. IS. CLASS.

by Anonymousreply 9601/19/2013

r96, Claudia started as sad depressed frau to a middle class oil rig guy. Actually she was part of the 'Upstairs Downstairs' concept of the first season of the show where the rich people, servants, and other 'poor' folk were presented as a direct contrast to each other.

by Anonymousreply 9701/19/2013

I think mostly we thought, "It's not Dallas." And then Joan Collins arrived to save the day.

I remember my mother bought Playboy when Collins' pictorial was published. She said she wanted to see how she looked. I think she was jealous.

by Anonymousreply 9801/19/2013

r98 your post got me googling for that Playboy edition and the thing I found most fascinating/hilarious about that cover had very little to do with La Collins.

Can you guess what it was?

by Anonymousreply 9901/19/2013

I can't figure it out R99...

But be sure to read a great interview with me where I reveal my secrets about romancing the ladies!!

by Anonymousreply 10001/19/2013

"Susan who? Susan Lucci - who is that? I've never heard of her. Is she any good? Susan Lucky? Funny name."

by Anonymousreply 10101/19/2013

OP here again. I just finished the episode where Alexis shot the rifle to scare Krystle's horse and Krystle ended up getting pulled across the field. THEN Alexis brought baby clothes to Krystle!

This show is so amazing! I'm thankful for all the responses too.

by Anonymousreply 10201/21/2013

I remember the scenes for next week on that, OP. I thought Alexis was actually trying to take Krystle out.

by Anonymousreply 10301/21/2013

If you watch the whole series, season by season, OP it will be interesting to find out when you think it goes from good to garbage, even for a night time soap.

by Anonymousreply 10401/21/2013

Yeah, when did Dynasty jump the shark. I watched it from the beginning and I'm trying to figure it out. I think when they just replaced Stephen, the gay son, but their end-of-season cliffhangers started to get really lame. The Moldavian Massacre was one of them.

by Anonymousreply 10501/21/2013

When Alexis was aiming the gun I was scared she was going to try to shoot Krystle too!

by Anonymousreply 10601/21/2013

I think it started going downhill from Season 4 onward. The instruments experienced catastrophic failure in Moldavia.

by Anonymousreply 10701/21/2013

Well as a fair warning R104 I really love camp, so the more over the top and out of control it gets the more I fear I'll love it.

Sammy Jo's short shorts are really cracking me up too. And then Alexis gave that speech to Stephen about finding an eligible girl in Denver- Sure she may not be as pure as the driven snow, but she won't be a tramp like Sammy Jo!

by Anonymousreply 10801/21/2013

I think that the recasting of THREE of the four Carrington children was one mistake. But I found it start to change with the intro of Kirby, who annoyed me. The seasons- I have been watching on DVD- swing back and forth.

I found Season 5 somewhat dull, despite it being #1 but am really, like R94, enjoying Season 6 where we get back to some great Krystle and Alexis moments which had been lacking. Yeah, Troy Beyer is annoying as Jackie and King Galen was stupid but Season 6 has a lot more going on.

by Anonymousreply 10901/21/2013

I hated Kirby. I hated any of the leftovers from the After School Specials and TV movies the Shapiros kept pulling out of obscurity. Well, except Christine Belford as the sinister nurse who was forced to wear an outfit from 1962.

by Anonymousreply 11001/21/2013

You came to work the next morning and talked about the prior night's episode in the coffee room, it was a shared national phenomenon. It was a glamorous time.

by Anonymousreply 11101/21/2013

[quote]You can't BUY class. Nothing to do with money, it's to do with manner.

And Miss Ellie had more class in her little finger than they had in their entire bodies. Gracious, polite, and soft-spoken with a backbone of steel. Don't confuse glamour with class.

by Anonymousreply 11201/21/2013

"Gracious, polite, and soft-spoken with a backbone of steel."

And a face that resembled a tree trunk.

I imagined she softened many an erection in her time.

by Anonymousreply 11301/22/2013

Claudia was only fun when she was batshit crazy.

by Anonymousreply 11401/22/2013

And what do you look like now, Joan?

by Anonymousreply 11501/22/2013

The PBS station in my city is airing Pioneers of Television - Primetime Soaps now

by Anonymousreply 11601/22/2013

Didn't the guy who played Dex end up getting busted buying crack in the East Village?

by Anonymousreply 11701/22/2013

Dynasty was so campy and silly. A little too over-the-top for me. I never really cared for it, but many of my friends loved it. They used to have get togethers on Wednesday nights, just to watch Dynasty. I went to a few, but my enthusiasm was never too high for the show.

by Anonymousreply 11801/25/2013

My parents were hooked on it - I've never seen a single episode myself.

by Anonymousreply 11901/25/2013

Thanks R88

I ordered it, too. I doubt they'll ever release season 9 in the US, and it was one of the best of the series.

Sable and Alexis battling were hilarious, cunty and the Roger Crimes plot tied everything back together.

by Anonymousreply 12001/25/2013

Keep in mind, OP, there were only three major networks at the time: ABC, NBC and CBS. No 9000 channels to pick from. Back in the 80s, everyone ended up watching the same show or knew about it. There are no water cooler shows anymore. I have just been introduced to Damages and American Horror Story through DVD; hard to talk to anyone about these shows because everyone else is on their own veiwing schedule.

by Anonymousreply 12101/25/2013

R121 I guess it depended on where you lived at the time. In 1980-1981, we had over 20 channels on our cable system (including Showtime and HBO). This was in Texas. By 1982, we had a satellite dish and had 50+ channels. I moved out on my own in 1984 and from that time, through the end of the decade, I had at least 35 channels on cable.

by Anonymousreply 12201/25/2013

OP again. Still watching Dynasty and loving it. Just wrapped up Alexis and Blake in Rome making an oil deal. Before Alexis left Rome she had a reading with a fortune teller that had me cracking up.

Steven and Sammy Jo are going to get married? And Steven wants to become a race car driver?

I'm enjoying Dallas too, but mainly because Larry Hagman and Linda Gray are so good. Sue Ellen just escaped from the rehab clinic and ran her car into a telephone pole.

Victoria Principal is so beautiful, and damn Patrick Duffy is hot. When he goes swimming in those short shorts it makes up for his overacting. I only knew Duffy from Step By Step growing up so it's fun to see him in this.

by Anonymousreply 12301/27/2013

Sammy Jo just told Fallon that she isn't Blake's daughter!

Claudia seems to be the weak link. Why did they keep her character around? They could have easily made her disappear. And with all of Blake's money and power why can't he find her daughter?

by Anonymousreply 12402/01/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!