Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

People who are neither politicians nor CEOs who have too much power

Nikki Finke (a latter-day Louella parsons or Hedda Hopper)

Grover Norquist (enforces a tax policy on the country despite the fact no one elected him)

Judd Apatow (too influential in the world of comedy, as demonstrated by his foisting GIRLS on the universe)

Anna Wintour (too much power over fashion)

by Anonymousreply 3301/16/2013

Andy Cohen (too much influence on the way gays are portrayed in the media, sociopathic)

Craig Venter (genome guru, sociopathic)

by Anonymousreply 101/15/2013

Agree with Apatow, but not because of Girls.

Definitively Grover.

by Anonymousreply 201/15/2013

I think Nikki has earned any power she has. There are so many who have tried to keep her from it.

by Anonymousreply 301/15/2013

Not individual people but the Nederlander and Shubert organizations have far too much power over Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 401/15/2013

The Oprahgarch.

by Anonymousreply 501/15/2013

I disagree, r3... many have tried to keep her from the power she has, true: but she is mean and abuses her authority.

Now I enjoy mean gossip (or else I wouldn't be on this board), but I don't think people who are professional gossips should have actual power over people getting hired and fired (which has become true in her case).

by Anonymousreply 601/15/2013

Agree with R5 - Oprah!

by Anonymousreply 701/15/2013

I honestly had no idea that Nikki Finke had that much influence. The gossip world is so glutted thanks to the internet.

by Anonymousreply 801/15/2013

Nikki Finke's power could evaporate. Remember Perez Hilton?

by Anonymousreply 901/15/2013

Perez Hilton never had much actual power. He was able to deeply annoy people but not to get them hired or fired.

My sense is that Finke will be like Walter Winchell or Louella Parsons--she'll undo herself by overreaching or for not keeping in step with the times. She certainly is a nasty botch--when I read her gossip i never laugh at it (like i did with Billy masters' old site); just like Perez, she's not funny, so her gossip just comes across as mean, like his does.

by Anonymousreply 1001/15/2013

Nikki Finke is one nasty bitch. Based on various media reports it appears that she is a recluse. The only picture of her available is very old and details regarding her life are shrouded in secrecy.

Having read her site for the last 5-6 years, she seems to be in and out of the hospital and/or sick quite frequently.

When Bret Easton Ellis mentioned he lived in the same building as her on Twitter she went nuclear.

I wish someone would expose her, but I think that everyone in Hollywood is afraid of her, she knows where all the bodies are buried.

by Anonymousreply 1101/15/2013

Love Nikki and she's has hearned her power. Not surprised she went nuclear on Bret Easton Ellis, he's such an asshole. Anyone going nuclear on that hack is fine by me.

Everyone else you mentioned, meh.

by Anonymousreply 1201/15/2013

More on Nikki Finke

by Anonymousreply 1301/15/2013

by Anonymousreply 1401/15/2013

Bret Easton Ellis - media will report anything he tweets, especially if it is humiliating to another public figure. I sort of envy this power.

by Anonymousreply 1501/15/2013

by Anonymousreply 1601/15/2013

[quote] but she is mean and abuses her authority

Oh no. She's mean. LOL! DL is bitching about mean? Don't make me laugh.

Where in the world do you get the idea she's a gossip? Because she's female? In no one's definition could she be labeled a gossip. She is a legitimate news reporter and she always has been from when she was covering foreign affairs and other areas.

Gossips are the likes of the ridiculous Ted Whatever or others with their made up stories about celebs.

And for that matter why do you care what she looks like? So you can be mean and ridicule her looks as a middle aged woman? Yea, that's not mean. Her looks are irrelevant to her reporting.

by Anonymousreply 1701/15/2013

Harvey Weinstein

Steven Spielberg

The whole Hollywood boys club of actors (George Clooney, Brad Pitt, Matt Damon)

Jay Z and Beyonce

by Anonymousreply 1801/15/2013

Deadline has really gone downhill with industry gossip, now it host regurgitates press releases.

by Anonymousreply 1901/15/2013

LA Reid - Has derailed the careers of many music legends, probably the most hated music exec

by Anonymousreply 2001/15/2013

[quote]Where in the world do you get the idea she's a gossip? Because she's female? In no one's definition could she be labeled a gossip.

Why would my characterization of her as a gossip have anything to do with her being female? especially given that the other three examples of gossips I gave were all male. You're unfairly weighting the matter and painting me as a sexist; yet I had said nothing whatsoever about her gender. This is just your bullshit attempt to put words in my mouth.

And to answer your question: She's a gossip because she reveals "facts" about celebrities that are unconfirmed--the latest being this Sunday night when she told the world Bradley Cooper is in the closet. If that's not gossip, I don't know what is.

[quote]And for that matter why do you care what she looks like?

Yet again, you're completely putting words in my mouth. In NONE of my posts did I say anything WHATSOEVER about her physical appearance.

You're completely full of horseshit.

by Anonymousreply 2101/15/2013

My my you are defensive, R6.

Gossip is light "news" - hence relegated to lesser parts of the news world and relegated to females and gay males for the most part. Don't feign a lack of grasping that categorization. And people are always going on about her looks as if that matters.

Nikki is basically a news reporter about the industry. She has paid her dues covering the industry and her past work. Throwing in a gossip item here and there doesn't change that. Hell, even the NYTimes and the Washington Post stoop to gossip at times. Doesn't mean they're not NEWSpapers.

Leave Niiki alone. She deserves all the success she has now.

by Anonymousreply 2201/15/2013

[quote]My my you are defensive, [R6].

You were putting words in their mouth, as I showed at r21, so as to paint me as a misogynist and a looksist, when I said nothing of the kind to suggest either characerization. Of course I would be on the defensive in such a circumstance.

Plus, I see you've still done nothing whatsoever to refute my charges that you unfairly and misleadingly put words in my mouth. You are admitting full culpability, then.

by Anonymousreply 2301/15/2013

Lena Dunham, who has the power and unmitigated gall to disrupt the delicate mental balance of dozens of Datalounge posters.

by Anonymousreply 2401/15/2013

Lena's not alone. Factor in Jodie and Anne and you've got a troika of unhinged bitches. And I ain't talkin about the ladies...

by Anonymousreply 2501/15/2013

Matt Drudge.

by Anonymousreply 2601/15/2013

Matt Drudge absolutely, r26. Far more than Nikki Finke.

by Anonymousreply 2701/15/2013

Hollywood Foreign Press

by Anonymousreply 2801/15/2013

Tweeters on Twitter. Seriously.

Some story breaks and the mainstream media starts quoting and analysing Twitter. Like who cares? 1% of the world may be on Twitter and they're communicating in 140 characters. Hardly the font of insight.

by Anonymousreply 2901/15/2013

Shane Klingensmith

by Anonymousreply 3001/15/2013

My friend Julie

by Anonymousreply 3101/15/2013

Rush Limbaugh, Wayne LaPierre and the rest of the NRA, Ben Bernanke.

by Anonymousreply 3201/16/2013

Nikki Ffinke is a media cunt, a relic from another age. She likes to think she has massive power, but she has absolutely zero charm, which Hedda and Louella had to spare. In another five years, Hollywood will say "Nikki who?"

by Anonymousreply 3301/16/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!