Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Shit Breath

I'm not talking about normal bad breath, or even chronic halitosis, but rather those poor souls whose mouths literally smell like assholes. Every once in a while you run into someone with this problem. It seems most common among older men, but I also had a college classmate with shit breath.

What causes this? Is something ... leaking in there? Can people not smell their own shit breath? Don't their loved ones tell them? Have you ever notified someone of their shit breath?

by Anonymousreply 4701/15/2013

Gretchen, stop trying to make "shit breath" happen. It's not going to happen!

by Anonymousreply 201/15/2013

A cavity is the most common reason. No matter how much you brush or floss, if a have a cavity that is more than very minor it will make your breath reek. I had a professional cleaning when I had a cavity, and it was back to shit breath the next day. It did not go away until I had the appointment to fix it.

by Anonymousreply 401/15/2013

Low carbing causes this too.

by Anonymousreply 501/15/2013

What R5 said. When the body is burning fat it is an appalling odor. I bought some chlorphyll tablets (that cause stomach cramping) but I still take them to avoid "shit mouth."

by Anonymousreply 601/15/2013

At work there are a few people whose breath is so bad, I've learned to alter my breathing patterns when I talk to them (when they exhale, I exhale...shallow breaths when inhaling). Coffee drinkers are the worst, but sometimes people with chronically dry mouth are just as bad. There's no excuse for having shift breath and not doing anything about it.

by Anonymousreply 1101/15/2013

Maybe this, OP

by Anonymousreply 1201/15/2013

I think it's a combination of bad oral hygiene and smoking.

by Anonymousreply 1301/15/2013

An abcessed tooth can also cause putrid breath. Or gum disease.

by Anonymousreply 1401/15/2013

Also, I think it's due to someone holding in their shit too long.

by Anonymousreply 1501/15/2013

Okay R12 that just disgusted and freaked me out.

by Anonymousreply 1601/15/2013

I, too, work with a few people with the dreaded shit breath. I think what also could be a cause of it is when one needs to take a dump. Backed-up bowels likely tend to fester up towards the mouth area. That's why it's good to keep yourself flushed.

by Anonymousreply 1801/15/2013

So why does low carbing do it?

by Anonymousreply 1901/15/2013

It could be a back up.

Christ knows, this was a constant topic with the fraus I used to work with. They would be so busy talking about how they were too busy to go to the ladies' room. After a while I just ignored them.

I was never too busy to misplace the fucking common sense to go to the loo when needed.

by Anonymousreply 2001/15/2013

Tonsil stones are awful, horrible smelling. Shit breath is horrible too, but its a different smell.

It seems like I encounter more women with shit breath, two of them work in my office. I think r5's reason is to blame, diet. They both are low carbing it right now.

One of the men in my office had tonsil stone breath, it was awful in the mornings. I think he got them out because breath is very fresh now. Someone probably told him, and bless their heart.

by Anonymousreply 2101/15/2013

Smokers, especially long-term smokers, often have terrible breath.

Frequent garlic eaters have horrible breath.

People who don't have the common sense to make mouth and teeth hygiene a priority have bad breath.

by Anonymousreply 2201/15/2013

I recently told a friend about his breath. He has great oral hygien so I knew that was not the case. Turns out its from acid reflux. It was really bad in the morning. Using that two week acid reflux medicine helped him a lot.

by Anonymousreply 2301/15/2013

Wait, not having your wisdom teeth out can result in shit breath? Uh oh I better get mine out.

by Anonymousreply 2401/15/2013

My dad has this and it's from periodontitis and the medicine he uses to help. He uses a Sonicare but doesn't brush properly nor long enough, and he never flosses on top of that.

by Anonymousreply 2501/15/2013

Cock-sucking can contribute to a cesspool effect.

by Anonymousreply 2601/15/2013

You know what causes my shitbreath.

by Anonymousreply 2701/15/2013

R23, my problem comes from acid reflux, but the meds never helped my breath. If I'm refluxing, then it's whatever is coming from my stomach. As far as I know, I don't always have bad breath...but yeah, after I eat or if I'm really hungry, I can tell by people's reaction that my breath is appalling.

by Anonymousreply 2801/15/2013

An ex of mine had shit breath from terrible brushing habits. I never knew how to bring it up, but one morning he said "My own breath makes me want to barf right now". I suggested he try better dental hygiene, and he enthusiastically bought a bag od those little floss pick thingies and started obsessively using yhem. Problem was, he still only swished his toothbrush around for 15 seconds, and only if I reminded him, so nothing ever got better. When I started cringing away everytime he turned to talk to me or lean in for a kiss, I knew it was time to bail.

by Anonymousreply 3001/15/2013

Misogynist troll at r29. Who are you baiting?

by Anonymousreply 3101/15/2013

Fuck off R31. You man hating cunt.

by Anonymousreply 3201/15/2013

[quote]What causes this?

Being Chinese.

by Anonymousreply 3301/15/2013

PSA: Therabreath brand mouth wash really gets the very back of the throat clean. Doesn't sting either.

by Anonymousreply 3401/15/2013

Yeah, Um, I'm not the one posting bile about Women OR Men all over Datalounge r29. You do realize we have trolldar right?

You are obsessed with women. I suggest you get some help.

by Anonymousreply 3501/15/2013

by Anonymousreply 3601/15/2013

Okay! Some real answers:

There are many common causes. Some less-likely causes are eating lots of garlic, diseases in the mouth, or sinus infections. Hygiene is frequently accused, but that's not usually the cause. Oh no! Read on!

Tonsilloliths (google image them to see) aka tonsil stones are a common cause of shit breath. They form in small pockets of the mouth. They are usually pale yellow. I have them and dig them out daily in the shower while gargling- they smell like decay, or shit, and they only get bigger in people who don't address them regularly. My doctor says they are caused by food sensitivities. If I never ate any of the list that I'm sensitive to, I'd have no tonsil stones. People who have them should clean them out daily; then there's no smell.

The other common cause is low carbing. Why? Low carbing causes ketosis, which makes nasty breath. There are easy ways around it for low-carbers: drink tons of water (if you're a typical fat person, you can easily take 20 cups of water daily). Eat things like raw parsley, fresh mint (not pills, the green leaves), and other cleansing herbs and lettuces like sage and bitters (e.g. arugula). No low carber should be living a parsley-free, or a bitters-free life. You can still lose weight and eat lots of parsley, and lots of herbs and bitters. You can take chlorophyll too, if you prefer to buy pills rather than eat real food. If you do these things, you will not be a disgusting piece of shit. :)

by Anonymousreply 3701/15/2013

R31, I believe R29 was in response to R26. But you must have missed that.

I always said my boss' breath is not something you smell, it's something you experience. I have literally smelled his breath from 10 feet away as he has talked to me.

It's funny how this is one of the hardest things to bring up to people.

by Anonymousreply 3801/15/2013

I work with a guy who has breath like that. He knows it too, he's always asking me for gum or Altoids, both of which I keep in a little dish on my desk for him to help himself. His teeth are nice and white, and he's in good shape, so I suspect it is a gastrointestinal thing, kidney thing, or (hopefully) just tonsil stones. He's one of those that doesn't believe in pharmacy and medicines, he's into natural cures and whatnot. Also very religious Jehovah Witness.

by Anonymousreply 3901/15/2013

Tongue scraper helps

by Anonymousreply 4001/15/2013

Brushing your tongue is a part of the ritual of brushing your teeth. Many people neglect this step.

by Anonymousreply 4101/15/2013

I knew a woman whose intestinal adhesions were so bad she would eat and then everything, after a couple days, would travel back up her system and out her mouth. My sister kept saying, "She poops through her mouth."

by Anonymousreply 4201/15/2013

That woman was a buzzard!

by Anonymousreply 4301/15/2013

R42, do you know how the woman got such adhesions? Car accident? Surgeries?

by Anonymousreply 4401/15/2013

In 1966 at the age of 13 I had my confirmation at our Episcopal church. You had to kneel down in front of the Bishop while he did his mumbo jumbo on your head, then kiss his ring and stand up so he could hug you and tell you what a fine young man you were. When I stood up and he spoke to me from about 12" away his breath smelled like a fresh cat shit. It was so bad my head snapped back visibly, and my eyes clinched. I almost vomited on him. My mother asked me later why I did that and I told her that Bishop Stuart apparently had turds in his mouth.

by Anonymousreply 4501/15/2013

on the opposite end of the scale, I once knew someone whose breath was amazingly fresh. It's wasn't minty or anything like that, it was just naturally fresh smelling, like being on a mountaintop. So much so that I liked sitting next to him during a conversation. It sounds weird, I know.

by Anonymousreply 4601/15/2013

All right, enough complaining about the problem. I have the solution.

by Anonymousreply 4701/15/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!