Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Who will win the Oscar for Best Actor of 2012?

Please take my poll.

Remember, please vote not for who you want to win, but who you think will actually win.

by Anonymousreply 6101/15/2013

This race is the closest thing to a lock this year.

by Anonymousreply 101/15/2013

I agree with R1 that it's probably the easiest to predict of all the categories, although one never knows for certain.

I remember a few years ago when most people thought Mickey Rourke would win, and Sean Penn pulled an upset.

by Anonymousreply 201/15/2013

Wish Bradley Cooper would win, but it's pretty much Daniel Day Lewis. OTOH, Best Picture is not a lock. It's either Argo, Les Miserables, Silver Linings Playbook, or Lincoln.

by Anonymousreply 301/15/2013

"most people" definitely did not think Rourke would win.

by Anonymousreply 401/15/2013

Actually they did, R4. He was the clear favorite going into it, and there were a lot of shocked reactions at the time amongst the general public.

The Republicans, in particular, were furious. They felt that it was gay Hollywood politics giving the Oscar unfairly to Penn for playing Harvey Milk over the more deserving Rourke

by Anonymousreply 501/15/2013

I have a feeling it will be Hugh Jackman, surprisingly. Just a guess.

If it is I will come back to gloat.

by Anonymousreply 601/15/2013

It's embarrassing that Hugh Jackman is even nominated, so I certainly hope that's as far as it goes. The Oscars would have even less credibility were he to win.

by Anonymousreply 701/15/2013

If Bradley Cooper were to come out of the closet tomorrow, he would probably win the Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 801/15/2013

Wasn't DDL also considered a lock and a sure bet for Best Actor in Gangs of NY? Whom did he lose to that year?

by Anonymousreply 901/15/2013

That's not going to happen, R8, so we might as well cross that possibility off the list, yes?

by Anonymousreply 1001/15/2013

I'm waiting for the SAG awards. The winner @ SAG is usually the winner @ AMPAS. I loved the look on Bradley Cooper's face at the GG when they called out Hugh Jackman's name. he really expected Harvey & David O Russell to hook him up with his win.

It was especially galling for BC sunce the Best Actor award was divided between comedy/musical and dramatic roles. He knew he had no chance agains Damiel Day Lewis but he was convinced he owned the category for comedy/musical.

by Anonymousreply 1201/15/2013

Adrien Brody, I believe, R9. I think that was the same year Roman Polanski pulled the upset over Martin Scorsese.

Not likely to happen again.

by Anonymousreply 1301/15/2013

To Adrien Brody, r9.

In any case, he's considered far more a lock this year than back then.

by Anonymousreply 1401/15/2013

By industry logic, DDL wins. Cooper and Jackman are lucky to be nominated, Washington already has one, and Phoenix makes a show of hating them and everything they represent.

They won't mind giving DDL a third gong, he's the sort of everlasting, dedicated, "classy" actor they approve of.

by Anonymousreply 1501/15/2013

R11, you are wrong. Rourke had won numerous awards going into the Oscars, had the momentum for a while, and you can check to see all the angry articles and discussions from Republicans who said Hollywood gave Penn the Oscar for political reasons. It surprised a lot of people at the time.

Maybe you weren't on the boards at the time, or on IMDB or some of the other places when the decision came down, but I was.

by Anonymousreply 1601/15/2013

R15, the only question is, are the Oscars willing to break with historical precedent and give DDL an unprecedented THIRD Lead Actor Oscar?

by Anonymousreply 1701/15/2013

Adrian Brody certainly deserved that award. I watched "The Pianist" again this weekend; it still makes me cry. Beautifully filmed and acted. I will forgive Brody for "The Village" just because of "The Pianist."

by Anonymousreply 1801/15/2013

There is no race this year. DDL wins.

by Anonymousreply 1901/15/2013

Streep Troll, you are becoming a nuisance.

Originally I didn't have a problem with you, but now I do.

by Anonymousreply 2101/15/2013

For the Streep Troll - from The Telegraph:

[quote]Oscar winners: Surprise as Sean Penn beats Mickey Rourke to best actor award

[quote]Sean Penn provided the only upset of this year's Oscars when he beat Mickey Rourke to the best actor award

by Anonymousreply 2301/15/2013

[quote]The 10 Biggest Oscar Upsets of the Last 10 Years

[quote]Sean Penn wins Best Actor over Mickey Rourke (2009)

by Anonymousreply 2401/15/2013

From Mother Jones:

[quote]Sean Penn in Oscar Upset

Despite the terrible odds given by America's favorite statistician Nate Silver, Sean Penn snagged the Oscar for Best Actor over favorite Mickey Rourke at the Academy Awards Sunday night in Los Angeles. It was an astonishing upset

by Anonymousreply 2501/15/2013

[quote]Sean Penn Trails Behind Mickey Rourke in Oscar Poll

by Anonymousreply 2601/15/2013

I would much rather watch the Streep Loon be devoured alive by fire ants than the actual Oscar ceremonies.

PLEASE ban this obnoxious, asinine troll.

by Anonymousreply 2701/15/2013

I don't think DDL was truly considered a "lock" for GANGS OF NY.

This time he is, as much as he was for THERE WILL BE BLOOD.

by Anonymousreply 2801/15/2013

I also have a weird feeling Jackman actually stands a chance for the Oscar, and even moreso the SAG because he's well liked by other actors. In terms of how well liked he is by the multi-types of folks who make up the Academy I'm not as sure, other than that he's a full on suck up.

by Anonymousreply 2901/15/2013

How are you holding up, Streep Troll?

Are you willing to concede that Penn winning over Rourke was considered an upset by many in the media & the public, or do you want me to hit you with more?

by Anonymousreply 3001/15/2013

[quote]PLEASE ban this obnoxious, asinine troll.

You can't ban someone for a difference of a opinion. I don't always agree with the Streep troll, but you can't bully someone out either.

by Anonymousreply 3101/15/2013

You're an idiot, Streep Troll. I posted MULTIPLE LINKS - including one to MOTHER JONES - a left-wing publication.

The fact that you only acknowledged one and ignored all the others proves my point. You were wrong - it was considered an upset, and outlets from one side of the political spectrum to the other show that.

by Anonymousreply 3401/15/2013

The Streep Troll lost and can't accept it. Rourke's win was considered a big upset to many - that's the point. It made news - that's the point.

And it wasn't just referred to by Mother Jones & The Telegraph - I also cited a couple of entertainment-related websites above. And there are more out there if I wanted to draw this out, but obviously the Streep Troll is irrational.

by Anonymousreply 3601/15/2013

Meant to say Penn's win over Rourke, obviously. I'm getting tired of this nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 3701/15/2013

Streep Troll, you don't seem to understand what an upset is in terms of public perception and widespread audience reaction.

Within the industry itself, which is more left-leaning and which respects Penn, there was a lot of support in some quarters, yes. It's not a total shock that he won in that sense and I was not totally surprised myself at the time.

What we are talking about here is the perception and reaction among the general public and media that it was an upset. That's why it's referred to as such above in so many different publications and why so many movie-goers were angry.

[quote]In something of an upset, Sean Penn took Best Actor at tonight's Oscars, snatching victory from favorite Mickey Rourke

by Anonymousreply 4001/15/2013

I'm not a Rourke fangirl, btw - I don't even like him. I'm explaining to you why there was such a shock at the time by so many across the country.

by Anonymousreply 4101/15/2013

You can find all the angry reactions on some of the You Tube videos as well:

by Anonymousreply 4201/15/2013

Rourke and Penn were AT LEAST neck-and-neck that year. Rourke's big reward was a nomination and being welcomed back after years in exile. Penn was in a Best Pic nominee and played an important historical figure. I'm sure the voting was close, but a true upset would have been Richard Jenkins or Brad Pitt winning.

by Anonymousreply 4501/15/2013

I think Daniel Day Lewis is the male equivalent to Meryl Streep but Meryl Streep is punished for being so good. She should have 5 Oscars at least.

by Anonymousreply 4601/15/2013

The only actor who could give Day-Lewis a run for his money in terms of the quality of his performance, the impressiveness of his career, and the contribution he made to a movie in oscar consideration (also nominated for best pic and director), is Jean Louis Trintignant.

And, inexplicably, the Academy has failed to nominate him.

by Anonymousreply 4701/15/2013

I would eat Mickey Rourke and Sean Penn's shit!

by Anonymousreply 4801/15/2013

I agree, r47.

His role wasn't flashy enough.

The idea that Bradley Cooper or Denzel Washington are better than JLT is preposterous.

by Anonymousreply 4901/15/2013

Which one of the nominees do you think will shit in my mouth?

by Anonymousreply 5001/15/2013

If there was a God, Joaquin Phoenix would win. His performance in THE MASTER was incredible, and he did not have to sing or wear a bunch of makeup to look like an iconic figure. I hate this bullshit about shunning actors who criticize the Academy or the awards concept; great actors like Brando and George C. Scott and even Woody Allen all have a point, actually. The Oscar should be given for a great performance captured on film, regardless of the actor's personal life or issues or whatever. Joaquin Phoenix may be batshit nuts (many great artists are!) but I believe that if you really, really looked at the performances alone, he would be the hands down winner. Jackman and DDL did not have one tenth the intensity he had on that screen in THE MASTER. And he should have won for WALK THE LINE. He is an extraordinary actor, and to dismiss him out of hand is just stupid.

by Anonymousreply 5101/15/2013

DDL, easily and Lincoln for best picture. This isn't the anti-American awards, aka, The Golden Globes. The only reason Argo won anything was that it had to do with the Middle East. The Oscar committee at least recognized that Affleck did not belong in this company of directors.

by Anonymousreply 5201/15/2013

I wish Richard Jenkins had won.

by Anonymousreply 5301/15/2013

The feces/Streep Troll-obsessed poster really needs to go away. Not at all funny and while I find the Streep Troll occasionally annoying, the stupid people who get into inane arguments with him are much, much worse.

by Anonymousreply 5401/15/2013

"If there was a God, Joaquin Phoenix would win. His performance in THE MASTER was incredible, and he did not have to sing or wear a bunch of makeup to look like an iconic figure"

No. All he had to do was emote for the sake of emoting. Phoenix is a very talented guy but his self-indulgent actory turn in The Master is just a showy display of angst. I don't nec. blame Phoenix. That's apparently what Anderson wanted. Given that, Phoenix did as good a job as anyone could.

But it doesn't deserve an oscar.

by Anonymousreply 5501/15/2013

Me, too. r53 -- Burton deserved an Oscar - for the Spy Who Came in from the Cold if nothing else.

by Anonymousreply 5601/15/2013

After seeing Joaquin Phoenix in the Master, I thought he would win it but it definitely will go to Daniel Day Lewis. Will this be his third win?

by Anonymousreply 5701/15/2013

Jesus, you all are so tedious.

Of course DDL will win, duh. Idiotic even to ask.

Best Supporting Actor is the tough race to call, as all the nominees already have Oscars, and DeNiro has two. And Waltz and Arkin both won Supporting quite recently. I am guessing it will not be PSH, but otherwise I have no idea. I would've said Tommy Lee Jones, but I think people find LINCOLN dull.

by Anonymousreply 5801/15/2013

OMG, r58: you're striking fear into everyone's hearts here with your terrifying and original little "tough bitch who's seen it all" routine!

by Anonymousreply 5901/15/2013

Daniel Day-Lewis, no contest. Everyone knows he gave the performance of the year, male or female.

by Anonymousreply 6101/15/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!