Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Can anyone explain why Jodie is so loyal to Mel?

He is NOT the bio father of her sons, so that easy answer does not fly.

I simply don't get it.

by Anonymousreply 19501/30/2013

I have no particular insight into the situation, but will only observe that plenty of people don't believe in abandoning friends who are going through a difficult time.

by Anonymousreply 101/15/2013

He *might* be the younger son's donor... Maybe...

by Anonymousreply 201/15/2013

I am certain that we all at some point in our lives have remained friends with someone in spite of the fact that everyone else hates them. Friendship is complicated. I have a friend who says a lot of shit that I don't agree with, he knows not to discuss it in front of me and our friendship endures.

by Anonymousreply 301/15/2013

Perhaps she is a real friend and knows him intimately and knows he is mentally ill. He has lived his whole life a loving family man and then became ill and self medicated with alcohol, as many do. Healthy people including movie stars can develop mental illness, going insane. Before the eighties people where put into institutions for actions such as his. He seems to be better now, perhaps medication.

by Anonymousreply 401/15/2013

Surprised by the thoughtful insights. 1,3 and 4 are right. I have a friend that's had more surgeries for serious problems than JFK, and he's wound up becoming a drug abuser. Moreso, he hops from drug to drug to drug. But at his core he's a good person and even though some friends of mine don't like my relationship with him, it's nobody's business but my own. Abandoning friends when they are at their lowest is inhumane, to me. Although when I'm severely wronged I know when to cut all ties.

I loathe Mel Gibson, but I admire Jodie for being human before political. Jodie's probably all he's got.

by Anonymousreply 501/15/2013

I want to thank you (all posters thus far) who have responded with uncharacteristicly un-DL-snarky thoughtfulness.

Color me shocked.

by Anonymousreply 601/15/2013

She's extremely damaged and he's extremely damaged. They cling together out of fear at the rest of the world. She also likes boyish prankish types (which explains why she's also such good friends with RDJ, who is also damaged goods).

by Anonymousreply 701/15/2013

[all posts by right wing shit-stain # a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 801/15/2013

I would care deeply if I were placed on that scale, r8.

by Anonymousreply 901/15/2013

What r1 said.

by Anonymousreply 1001/15/2013

I understand that maybe they have a deep bond and maybe she sees something in him that others do not, but I don't understand it on a practical level.

Here's a guy who has been caught repeatedly exposing homophobic, racist and anti-semetic views so how do they all break bread together if that's how he truly feels? I wouldn't want to abandon a friend either, but I wouldn't want that kinda bullshit around my kids.

by Anonymousreply 1101/15/2013

Closeted actors often link up with an anti-gay colleagues to cover their sexuality.

by Anonymousreply 1201/15/2013

Can anyone explain why the OP is so fucking obsessed with 'Jodie' and how many more fucking threads about this the troll will post?

Anyone?

by Anonymousreply 1301/15/2013

Did I start any of the other Jodie threads?

No, I did not.

So, stfu r13.

by Anonymousreply 1501/15/2013

Apparently they've just been friends since the movie "Maverick" from 1994. From Vanity Fair:

Foster, who first worked with Gibson when they co-starred in Maverick (1994), is articulate, even eloquent on the subject. “I don’t have a lot of friends,” she says. “So it was unusual for me to have met somebody and instantly said, ‘This is somebody I’m going to know for my whole life.’ Once a tree fell outside my house in the middle of the night, which I didn’t notice. In the morning I ran out really fast to get the paper and slammed into the tree. It was like getting hit by a crowbar. I was stumbling around, blood pouring out of my head. And the phone rings. It was Mel. ‘How are you?’ ‘I feel so stupid, but I ran into a tree.’ He literally came in 15 minutes with this big bag of ointments and Tibetan blah-blah. He’s kind. He’s generous. That’s the guy I know.” She adds, “I can’t say I’m proud of the way he’s handled everything, but I feel terrible for him, and for his family, for his struggles.”

by Anonymousreply 1601/15/2013

Danny Glover also stood by Gibson. Does that make him a bad person?

by Anonymousreply 1701/15/2013

R17 Mel Gibson is a bad person. The folks that stand by him are not. Or maybe Mel is a good person that does bad things ALWAYS.

I cannot stand Mel Gibson but I can't fault anyone who stands by him if he was truly their friend. I'd want my friends to stand by me in tough times.

by Anonymousreply 1801/15/2013

He's a closet gay himself.

by Anonymousreply 1901/15/2013

It's one thing to stand by him, and another thing entirely to expedite his attempts to rehab his image by bringing him to a high-profile event as your guest. That's the part I don't get, and especially when she was (apparently, amid the rambling) planning to make reference to her own orientation that he's so rabidly against.

by Anonymousreply 2001/15/2013

He was quite beautiful in Tim and Mad Max.....

by Anonymousreply 2101/15/2013

Thank you, R5.

I also know someone who had a drug problem. One time, when he was high on heroin, he said the vilest, most homophobic, bigoted, and hurtful things to me. God, I was so angry with him. I had been down this path with him before. He's clean and sober now. He asked my forgiveness for what he said and did. I forgave him, because the person who said and did those things was not the man I knew. It was the drugs.

I couldn't walk away from my brother who had severe problems. I admire Jodie Foster for standing by her friend Mel Gibson, more so than I do for her Second Coming Out.

by Anonymousreply 2201/15/2013

Mel has always been a douche. My boss used to work as a nurse with Mel's wife Robyn in the 70s. She said MG was a mean, vile drunk back then, too.

by Anonymousreply 2501/15/2013

I agree with R20. What's the origin of the friendship?

by Anonymousreply 2601/15/2013

r16's link explains it well i think.

by Anonymousreply 2701/15/2013

To me it's a bro thing.

by Anonymousreply 2801/15/2013

[quote]I understand that maybe they have a deep bond and maybe she sees something in him that others do not, but I don't understand it on a practical level.

I think this accurately describes all celebrity friendships (sub pronouns).

by Anonymousreply 2901/15/2013

[all posts by right wing shit-stain # a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 3001/15/2013

I agree with R30 and that's why I have absolutely no respect for Foster, there is no legitimate reason in the world she can have for supporting such a vile monster such as Mel Gibson.

by Anonymousreply 3101/15/2013

R30, think I love you. Sure, it was nice she came out and all but she has chosen a career in the industry which demeans our culture. SOTL=crap, misogynist vioence. CONTACT = more alien mythology to disrtact the masses. NELL = Gawd awful. Little Einstein = frau flick. Taxi Driver = her mother allowed her to play a child prostitute--demeaning sexualization of children. She stands by her friend Woody Allen as well.

Has she really doen anything of merit, either artistically or socially?

by Anonymousreply 3201/15/2013

r7 is right.

I think there is a difference in standing by a friend and totally refusing to acknowledge why people in and out of the industry find him offensive and don't want to work with him.

She blamed it on his alcoholism. And of course, the first words to come out of any user's mouth are an anti-Semitic rant.

I also wonder about him being closeted.

I'm not one of the guys on here who wants/expects everyone in Hollywood to be gay, but I truly wonder, given his upbringing.

by Anonymousreply 3401/15/2013

I'm just incredibly happy you're all spelling her name correctly.

by Anonymousreply 3501/15/2013

I'm trying to post a reply to #22, but don't know how to link my reply to #22's post. Can someone explain how to do that please?

Anyway, I've always been skeptical of people who claim that alcohol or drugs is the reason for their racist, homophobic and/or sexist rages. I've been high and drunk before and have never said derogatory and offensive things while intoxicated that I would never say or think when sober. In my opinion, all drugs/alcohol do is lower people's inhibitions and break down their filters so that their deep-seated feelings are more freely expressed. Now, if Mel Gibson is mentally ill (which I believe he is), that's a whole different can of worms.

by Anonymousreply 3601/15/2013

Wow, finally some sense from R30 - 32.

He was a homophobic piece of shit long before she ever met him. She knew what she was getting all along.

by Anonymousreply 3701/15/2013

Mel Gibson seems classically bipolar and perhaps Jodie is too, being a lifelong lesbian and all (very common). This may explain their special bond.

But what's up with her admiration for Woody Allen? She's got a thing for sexual predators.

by Anonymousreply 3801/15/2013

His sperm didn't take

by Anonymousreply 3901/15/2013

What? Jodie is now bipolar?

I thought we learned on another thread that Jodie is 50, trim, and not bipolar, and that not many on DL could claim to be that themselves.

by Anonymousreply 4001/15/2013

R40, Jodie looks fantastic for a fifty year old woman which is common for bipolar chicks--they do stay youthful unless they are drowning in meds. She seemed very manic in her speech--now, I'm no authority although I have relatives with the illness, and what I saw that night I see in my female cousins. Manic glowing blooper-talk all the while being sexy and attracive. She is a CLASSIC bipolar lesbian if I have ever seen one. She surely has the energy to work out and stay fit, nary a muffin top on that one. She is also high-testosterone, comon for Bipolar women. I'd say their friendship blossomed over an indiscreet dalliance and a few Ablify's.

by Anonymousreply 4101/15/2013

No, if she were bipolar she would have a muffin top at the very least.

by Anonymousreply 4201/15/2013

Her Daddy was a mean drunk too....it is called "repeating a pattern"

by Anonymousreply 4301/15/2013

r43, I thought her father wasn't in her life? I seem to remember her being raised by her mother and her "aunt", aka her mother's girlfriend, from a young age.

by Anonymousreply 4401/15/2013

I have friends who have done truly awful things and I've stood by them. Whether Jodie stands by Mel for similar reasons or because, either in addition or instead, he has been particularly important to her in some private way we may never know about - and how is it we know for sure he isn't the boys's bio father? - we may never know.

by Anonymousreply 4501/15/2013

r44...i was kind of joking....I don't think he raised her but wasn't he a drunk too

by Anonymousreply 4601/15/2013

They both have a lot of crazy going on and birds of a feather flock together.

by Anonymousreply 4701/15/2013

It's a Jodie-Mystery.

by Anonymousreply 4801/15/2013

She's going to have that asshole front and center at her tribute and we're supposed to pretend like he's not the monster he is or said the terrible things he did. I'm surprised he didn't get booed by the crowd.

by Anonymousreply 4901/15/2013

Not a Mel apologist, but no one has any idea what Jodie has said to him in private regarding his craziness.

by Anonymousreply 5001/15/2013

Jodie is such an odd, little juvenile name. It's not something for a grown woman.

Parents: Think before you name your kid.

by Anonymousreply 5101/15/2013

Jodie is such an odd, little juvenile

by Anonymousreply 5201/15/2013

Her given name is Alicia, r51. Not Jodie.

by Anonymousreply 5301/15/2013

She said that he saved her. Must be something there. Prolly the baby daddy.

by Anonymousreply 5401/15/2013

R38 most lesbians are not bi-polar. That's kind of a crazy thing to say.

by Anonymousreply 5501/16/2013

She's a cunt. Cunts have an affinity with assholes.

by Anonymousreply 5601/16/2013

For fuck's sake. Was it the most eloquent speech of all time? No. But evidence of some kind of serious mental incapacity? Give me a break. Here was the intelligent, complex, nervous, guarded movie star whom she is having to give a high profile speech which is not her idea of fun and having decided to touch on several personal issues which she finds very challenging to do.

And I had brought Mel Gibson to that party, I'd be a bit edgy myself.

That. Is. All.

by Anonymousreply 5701/16/2013

Wasn't the first piece of advice she gave on Sunday night "love people and stay beside them"?

Honestly, does anyone just LISTEN anymore?

She also mentioned that thing about PRIVACY, remember?

by Anonymousreply 5801/16/2013

Perhaps he's a great guy when he's not drunk. And maybe she's trying to save the great guy.

by Anonymousreply 5901/16/2013

Because Maverick is the greatest film ever made! It's a masterwork.

by Anonymousreply 6001/16/2013

[quote]She's going to have that asshole front and center at her tribute and we're supposed to pretend like he's not the monster he is or said the terrible things he did. I'm surprised he didn't get booed by the crowd.

That was stupid RDJ's fault. He planned Mel's attendance as a special surprise for Jodie and as a way to help Mel's image along not thinking about how uncomfortable it might be. I really don't think she's great friends with RDJ, she's mainly good friends with his wife who produced The Brave One for her. Of course the Globes wanted a big name as a presenter so they asked him.

by Anonymousreply 6101/16/2013

r61, you sound like you know these people.

Thanks for the dish, but, really -- they could have had ANY big star (and there are quite a few BIGGER than RDJ) do it -- as I am sure most would have said yes. She actually *likes* RDJ as a close friend, it would seem.

by Anonymousreply 6201/16/2013

She's friends with anyone who can stand her.

by Anonymousreply 6301/16/2013

Maybe she's racist and anti-semitic. You never know.

by Anonymousreply 6401/16/2013

I'm with the previous poster who said the alcohol (and drugs, don't kid yourselves) just lowered Gibson's inhibitions and allowed his real personality to come out.

I, too, have had my share of drunken and drugged up evenings and I have never spewed racist, homophobic, anti-semitic slurs. Never. I'm willing to bet that most of us haven't. It's who Gibson really is and Foster has decided to accept that.

I wouldn't accept it in a friend and I think it's really bizarre that Foster does. Of course now that she's shown us all the extent of her insecurity, which is surprisingly massive, I suppose she can't help herself.

by Anonymousreply 6501/16/2013

Isn't Mel the father of her kids?

by Anonymousreply 6601/16/2013

No R66. Mel himself denied it long ago. Most people think the dad was Randy Stone, her gay bff and founder of the Trevor Project. Randy was fairly involved with the kids until he died. Plus there was some debacle when he went on Paternity Leave from Fox right after Jodie's first son was born. He ended up being fired I think. Sadly he passed away a few years ago.

by Anonymousreply 6701/16/2013

I don't think Foster has a lot of friends in Hollywood. She's a pro and that's why she gets work, though no one wants to cast her as anything but a tough woman fighting some bad guys. She got to be in Panic Room, because Kidman dropped out last minute. The Brave One was Bullock's project for the longest time. Foster admitted that her agent talked her into doing the plane film. The Beaver was a disaster. And even in that case she came on after so many other directors dropped out. Honestly, I believe that's what she and Gibson have in common: they see themselves as 'different' than the rest of Hollywood. The truth is, they're just like anyone else. At least Gibson is a very good director.

by Anonymousreply 6801/16/2013

Yeah but what's really a "friend" in Hollywood? In general there's always been good will for her and there continues to be.

It's incredibly hard to book her. She says no to everything.

She had wanted to work with Fincher for a long time after she dropped out of The Game which he directed. I don't know why she wanted to do TBO but I know that Kidman was attached to it right before Jodie (don't know when Bullock was on board). So when Kidman left those, she jumped on board.

The thing is, the problem is not Jodie herself per se, it's that most of the decent projects and resources (other talent) are at CAA and of course all of their clients get first dibs (Kidman, Bullock are there). WME comes next. Then probably UTA. Then her acting agency, ICM. She won't leave though. It's another case of her staying loyal, this time to her longtime agent.

by Anonymousreply 6901/16/2013

Interesting that they just did a piece on Jody's dad tonight on one of the entertainment programs. He recently got out of jail. She hasn't seen him in 15 years. He left while Mom was pregnant.

He was in jail for using Jody's name to defraud a bunch of people out of deposits on houses or something like that. They didn't say he was a drunk, but he's clearly not a good guy. She hasn't seen him in 15 years so he was apparently in her life.

by Anonymousreply 7001/16/2013

I honestly do not think she gets offered a whole lot, at least not many good things. Of course, I am not her agent, so I am just speculating based on some bitter interviews she have in the past years.

The Brave One is a good film, and it could have been better if Mort hadn't fucked it up with the voice-over rewrite. I thought it was Foster's best performances since The Silence of the Lambs (by the way, why is it so hard to type a full title of a film?). Neil Jordan did a great job of creating the look and the atmosphere of NYC from some time ago.

by Anonymousreply 7101/16/2013

Sandra married a nazi lover. Jodi is friends with Mel. Women are like. It's their choice.

by Anonymousreply 7201/16/2013

It's JODIE fucking Foster, not Jody.

by Anonymousreply 7301/16/2013

Jo Dee.

by Anonymousreply 7401/16/2013

Mel said He isn't the father. Case closed, because we all know people never lie !!

by Anonymousreply 7501/16/2013

Jody

by Anonymousreply 7601/16/2013

First of all Mel Gibson has rendered himself pretty loathsome in the past 10 years. And there is no doubt he had a pretty odd father.

But most important in my opinion is that he is an alcoholic pretty much out of control at this stage when he drinks. For a long time he controlled it- but if you have ever known someone struggling with alcoholism for decades- his story is not so unusual. Drinking and associated behavioral pathologies just get worse. Certainly all those controlled years of a stellar film career in front and in back of the camera indicate what he could be, still perhaps. Obviously he knows she is gay- since the beginning of her career she has been out among her peers, if not publicly. He is probably not close to the monster he has been when he has sober time under his belt. He may even be a nice guy.

She is being loyal to her friend- she may not allow him in her home when he is active- as I have done with some people very dear to me. But like me and many many others, she still loves him and will probably fold him back in to her life if and when he gets and stays sober.

by Anonymousreply 7701/16/2013

I admire her for standing by Mel. I'm sure the same people blacklisting Mel tried to screw her over in one way or another.

by Anonymousreply 7901/16/2013

Well, I just saw The Beaver and though Gibson's performance was brilliant. He is a superior talent. It's a shame he has a mental and chemical illness. A real shame. I hope he gets better and never says hurtful things to anyone ever again.

by Anonymousreply 8001/16/2013

R65, are you an alcoholic, and have you been fighting it for 30 years? I have seen what long term abuse does. It does exactly what it has done to Mel. He has lost his family and nearly lost his career. I imagine he has lost quite a few friends too. Not Jody entirely it seems.

I used to be a fan of his- his actions have been loathsome- but I still hope he can get sober and stay sober. He is a big talent. He is also a cautionary tale. R65, if you get blasted on a regular basis you too will wreck your life- maybe not exactly as Mel has- but you will be destroyed. That's alcoholism.

by Anonymousreply 8201/17/2013

He was supposed to be a staunch Catholic family man too, but he cheated, then abandoned his wife and numerous children, in addition to all of the other horrible things he's said and done. Fuck Mel Gibson.

by Anonymousreply 8301/17/2013

Too many here appear to be taking the whole, "you only say what you really think when you are drunk/high" thing too literally. Mel Gibson is clearly an angry man, but lots of people are angry and act like complete arseholes when booze and drugs relieve them of their capacity to inhibit that. Mel Gibson's behaviour in those moments was ugly and inexusable, no question. However, it would seem that those who actually know him accept that there is more to him than meets the ear or eye. This is a rhetorical question but, how many of us can honestly say we've never done or said anything we regret when we've been overwhelmed with unpleasant emotions that, for whatever reason, we cannot deal with? I for one certainly have said vile things that i did not mean, and armchair pyschologists would no doubt use this as indicators of who I REALLY am. The situation is far more complex than that. I wonder how many of the people who are here saying Gibson is clearly an arsehole because of what he said in anger have also posted comments that denigrate others here on Datalounge? For those who have done exactly that and are willing to comment, how does that make you different (better?) exactly?

by Anonymousreply 8501/17/2013

Okay, [R85] here. Before anyone else picks me up on it, I know I said it was a rhetorical question and then asked for comments/answers. So you don't need to tell me that was stupid.

by Anonymousreply 8601/17/2013

Most of us post anonymously so we don't even own up to the vile things we say here. At least the authenticated posters take responsibility for what they write. And I would hazard a guess that very few of us are tanked or high when we write some of that shit. We're just mean for the hell of it.

by Anonymousreply 8701/17/2013

"I can’t excuse his behavior, of course, and if he does something wrong he needs to go to jail, and if he breaks the law he needs to go to jail. If he’s filled with rage he needs to come to terms with that rage and that’s his personal process in life"

"As somebody who actually knows him as opposed to somebody who doesn’t know him...There are lifelong struggles for him, ahead of him and he has really bigger problems than whether he’s going to get nominated for an Oscar or whether the film is going to make any money."

by Anonymousreply 8801/17/2013

Himmmm said... It has been over a year since I posted a comment or contributed anything to Enty. Mainly because I work in this industry and had too many close calls. Anyway - I felt compelled to crawl out of the morass to comment here (though few will read it so late in the day I guess).

I cannot and do not speak for Jodie Foster. I used to know her via Ed Limato in the old ICM days. What I do know is this: She is a total barracuda when it comes to close pals. Why? It goes back to the 80s and when John Hinckley shot Reagan all to win Jodie's love. To say it wrecked her life and career is beyond exact. The entire town closed down on her. She was in college and hoping for a comeback, that dream faded fast. Her agent dropped her and only tabloids cared for her - hounding her night and day. She almost killed herself. She tried many times.

But a few people (including Limato and his roster) saved her life and then her career. She took every ****ty role offered to prove her worth, all while living in a closet. As time progressed, Limato and crew (including Gibson, Gere, Julia, Denzel, Michelle Pf., etc.) all protected her.

She cried in Mel's and Denzel's arms many nights. It took until ACCUSED and SILENCE before studio execs wanted her full time again. Back when Mel did Lethal 1 - he was the hottest star alive. It took his balls and loyalty to force execs to allow Jodie to direct on her own, and if Mel didn't force it - there would be no Lil Man Tate or anything else.

This is why the loyalty. When Gibson made Air America - the insurance bond wouldn't cover Downey. They refused due to his refusal of a physical (due to drugs). Mel posted the completion bond from his own pocket (as in millions). Even after 50 arrests and rehabs, Mel stood by him. There would have been no more RDJr. had Mel not threatened execs at Warners if they refused to hire RDJr.

Those types of pals in this town are rare and very few. Now, as for Polanski? I do not know him.

Mel Gibson has serious issues and I have talked with him several times in the past few years. All I can say is there’s much, much more to this than anyone knows. That does not excuse him or his drinking and rants. Mel has issues and is trying to get better. I will defend him professionally as he did for me.

For two years people in town gossiped about ME being a dope head. Because I took MORPHINE every day. And Fentanyl patches (very strong). They all said I was a junkie. Some agents and execs stopped speaking to me. My movies got put into turnaround everywhere. Doors closed and invites stopped. Why? Gossip. They never knew that I had a tumor in my spine wrecking my life and killing me with pain daily. I didn't publicize it so they spread gossip. But when a film I produced earned almost a billion dollars? Suddenly they all wanted me again. Even though my tumor has gotten worse and my meds even stronger.

I still can work, am still on meds - but they all come from my oncologist and neurologist – as always. I knew the truth, as did my friends and family. But they just wanted gossip - not compassion.

Two big pals DID stand up for me and stick by me. One was Johnny Depp (who came to my house for my daughter's bday dressed as a pirate!). The other was Mel Gibson (without whom Batman Begins and Dark Knight would still be on a shelf. Though his name is not related to either. True story).

Today? I keep going. We all have to. So anyone might hold judgment until we know ALL the facts. There's always 3 sides to every story. And as MLK said: The measure of a man is how he acts when everything around him crumbles." It's also a measure of loyalty and compassion. They may be stars, but they are people too. Bless you all.

3:37 PM

by Anonymousreply 8901/17/2013

Thank you for posting, r89. Seriously.

All best wishes to you.

by Anonymousreply 9001/17/2013

Bumping for r89's great post.

by Anonymousreply 9101/17/2013

Here's Mel behind the scenes of Hamlet in 1990. Seems like a thoughtful guy to me.

by Anonymousreply 9201/17/2013

A nice shot of Pfeiffer, Foster and Meg Ryan. I would have exchanged Ryan for Sharon Stone but anyway, it's still a nice poster to have over your bed:

by Anonymousreply 9301/17/2013

She used to be so clam and centered when she was young. Now she's always intense and fidgety. What happened?

by Anonymousreply 9401/18/2013

Any credence to the old "Mel is gay" rumors?

by Anonymousreply 9501/18/2013

What is Enty's site?

by Anonymousreply 9601/18/2013

r89, wasn't it speculated here that himmmm was RDJ himself?

Did the DL Nancy Drews ever figure that out?

Oh, and another take from a cynical DLer on another thread was that RDJ (allegedly, of course) never stopped using-he just stabilized his intake. His wife was 'hired' to make sure he never got out of control in public.

The real reason he was uninsurable, according to this poster, was that he was +.

It wasn't Mel Gibson who caused his comeback (although the AA story was true), it was the fact that advances in hiv treatment made it an insurable illness under certain conditions.

by Anonymousreply 9701/18/2013

I love u R40!

by Anonymousreply 9801/18/2013

Does RDJ have a daughter?

by Anonymousreply 9901/18/2013

They are friends. Friends often forgive each other for being hypocrites. Friendship isn't an easy thing to let political correctness sway you - you have good memories of this person supporting you, helping your career and being there for you personally when you needed them. Also, it's very possible that she knows more about why he went off the rails than us, the random Greek chorus, does.

by Anonymousreply 10001/18/2013

89 your post doesnt make sense. Foster only met Gibson when they did Maverick They never knew each other in the 80's

by Anonymousreply 10101/18/2013

If they shared the same agent, they likely knew each other on some level.

by Anonymousreply 10201/18/2013

Here's the scoop. Mel saved Jodie's life on the set of Maverick back in the day. She was sitting in a covered wagon between takes when the horses were startled by a loud noise. The wagon took off with Jodie on board and was headed, out of control, toward a giant cliff, where she would surely not have survived the 5,000 ft. drop. Mel jumped on a horse bareback and caught up to the wagon. He jumped onto one of the horses pulling her wagon and was able to take the reigns. He stopped the wagon just before it went over the edge. Jodie swore eternal loyalty to him and they have been close ever since. Actually, that entire story is bullshit. I have no idea WHY she is so loyal to him.

by Anonymousreply 10301/18/2013

Bullshit?

You don't say....

by Anonymousreply 10401/18/2013

In her Golden Globe Awards speech a few days ago, what did Jodie mean when she said that Mel "saved" her? She placed a lot of emphasis on that. I couldn't tell if Mel knew what she was talking about (he seemed to be three sheets to the wind by then).

by Anonymousreply 10501/18/2013

She was three sheets as well. Perhaps she means exactly what r89 posted about. He helped literally save her career.

by Anonymousreply 10601/18/2013

Fucked up people tend to hang out with other fucked up people.

by Anonymousreply 10701/18/2013

RDJ does not have a daughter; he has two sons, so "Hmmmmm" cannot be him.

by Anonymousreply 10801/18/2013

Christian Bale?

by Anonymousreply 10901/18/2013

Damaged people tend to stick together.

by Anonymousreply 11001/18/2013

She didnt know Denzel back in the 80's lol

by Anonymousreply 11101/18/2013

The younger son looks like Randy Stone, but the older one... look at his nose... it could be Gibson's.

by Anonymousreply 11201/18/2013

I think Mel saved her from the evil clutches of Buffalo Bill. She's been eternally grateful.

by Anonymousreply 11301/18/2013

[quote]Christian Bale?

Interestingly Jodie and Christian Bale share the same publicist. The poor publicist must be having the worst week ever.

by Anonymousreply 11401/18/2013

r113 - "He schaid 'I can schmell you cuncht."

"Ah, I of course CANNOT."

by Anonymousreply 11501/18/2013

r114, what bad PR did Bale get this week?

by Anonymousreply 11601/18/2013

"I don't understand why someone has to be totally destroyed just because they don't embrace Jews."

We know you don't understand, R24. Because you're obviously a bigoted idiot yourself.

by Anonymousreply 11701/18/2013

R116, I didn't mean Bale. Perhaps you haven't been following the anti-Jodie hullabaloo. If so, then lucky you. It's made me a little sad about our community and the kind of people leading it.

by Anonymousreply 11801/18/2013

Don't pain the whole community r118. I've seen plenty of Bravo-Jodie too from Gays and especially from Straights.

And lets face it, she needs the Straights more then Gays, if she will continue to have a movie career.

by Anonymousreply 11901/18/2013

Paint = Pain

by Anonymousreply 12001/18/2013

Daily Mail article with photos

Her oldest son has Mel's nose and jaw, for sure.

by Anonymousreply 12101/18/2013

I don't know. Mel was incredibly good looking when young. And Jodie is a good looking woman. That older kid, on the other hand, is very unfortunate looking.

by Anonymousreply 12201/18/2013

FU R122. Who the fuck makes fun of a teenage boy's looks?

by Anonymousreply 12301/18/2013

I agree with r123. The older son is actually going to be quite handsome, even though he's in that gangly, brace-face stage. I think he definitely has a James Woods quality....

by Anonymousreply 12401/18/2013

James Woods, idiots. Not Mel.

by Anonymousreply 12501/18/2013

How many times does it have to be said that Mel isn't the father. For one I doubt his religious views would fall in line with it. Mel denied it years ago and even got mad that some reporter had suggested it (yes he's quite an asshole).

The older kid is obviously going through some growing pains. His features are all disproportionate.

by Anonymousreply 12601/18/2013

True. Mel actually denied it along time ago. Russell Crowe denied it too but said he wished he was.

The only one that has evidence to being the father is Randy Stone because of his lawsuit against Fox. Once that came out, people thought it was a sign that he was the father.

Another one I heard was a studio executive friend of hers but she has so many of those, who knows.

by Anonymousreply 12701/18/2013

It's not James Woods, Woods has a flat jaw with a cleft. Her eldest son has a rounded, solid jaw like Mel. And look how wide his smile is, like Mel's.

by Anonymousreply 12801/18/2013

[quote]FU [R122]. Who the fuck makes fun of a teenage boy's looks?

Everyone on DL does, all the time. Or is it just girls and women that we can criticize? Not sure I believe you'd be upset if I commented on Demi Moore's kids...

I should have said that if Mel is the kid's father, it looks like the kid did not inherit his parents good looks.

by Anonymousreply 12901/18/2013

It's Randy Stone, even the Daily Mail is saying so now.

by Anonymousreply 13001/18/2013

R130 that article is from three days before they printed the Mel Gibson article.

It's pretty simple to me: Mel was the donor for the elder child and Randy was the donor for the younger. Foster and Stone actually have many similar features which is why the younger son looks so much like Jodie; but the older son clearly has the features of a much different-looking person; look at his profile!

by Anonymousreply 13101/18/2013

r131, an article once said that Jodie made a point to have both children share the same father.

Her oldest boy had changed dramatically in the last year and half. There is a site that compaired Jodie's childhood photos to her sons and they both look exactly like her. Its only until now, that her son is a teen, that he is changing. Her youngest might change too.

by Anonymousreply 13201/18/2013

Mel has got lke 10 kids of his own. Do you really think he is the doner? C'mon. Plus "strict" Catholics don't believe in IVF.

by Anonymousreply 13301/18/2013

[quote]As time progressed, Limato and crew (including Gibson, Gere, Julia, Denzel, Michelle Pf., etc.) all protected her.

Julia Who?

by Anonymousreply 13401/18/2013

r89 is full of it. Jodie didn't meet Mel until 1994, and she and Denzel never knew each other in the 80s. Washington didn't become a real staple of Hollywood until 1989 with 'Glory'. before that he was working in New York's stage scene, which Foster was never a part of.

Don't fall for the fake insider, people.

by Anonymousreply 13501/18/2013

Ugh. Stop defending this guy. If Jodie were really his friend, she'd have him committed. At the very least he needs to leave Hollywood to get well (as do Lindsay Lohan and Britney Spears). Just last summer Joe Eszterhas wrote about how insane it was to try to work with him, and how he attacked Joe and his family for seemingly no reason. Eszterhas doesn't strike me as a particularly nice guy, but Mel is clearly nuts.

[quote]17 Craziest Bits From Joe Eszterhas Ebook About Mel Gibson, ‘Heaven and Mel’

[quote]2. Gibson On Gay Men: Gibson seemed particularly perturbed about homosexuals: “In an interview with a Spanish magazine, Mel had gotten up from his chair, bent over, pointed to his butt, and said, ‘This is for shitting, not fucking.’ He repeated it for the interviewer: “They take it up the ass! This is only for taking a shit!”

by Anonymousreply 13601/18/2013

Only a closet-case would get so worked up about anal sex.

by Anonymousreply 13701/18/2013

I still can't believe Foster described Kristin Stewart as "beautiful talent"!

by Anonymousreply 13901/18/2013

R138, you should read the entire linked article at R136. This wasn't one random drunken rant. This is clearly a mentally ill man who needs help, but enabling him isn't helping him. Consider what R36 posted:

[quote}Anyway, I've always been skeptical of people who claim that alcohol or drugs is the reason for their racist, homophobic and/or sexist rages. I've been high and drunk before and have never said derogatory and offensive things while intoxicated that I would never say or think when sober. In my opinion, all drugs/alcohol do is lower people's inhibitions and break down their filters so that their deep-seated feelings are more freely expressed.

Why are people so quick to defend the behavior of celebrities who don't know or care that they are even alive? If Mel Gibson was your next door neighbor and not a famous actor you've clearly had a crush on for years, you'd be outraged and frightened by his behavior.

by Anonymousreply 14001/18/2013

[quote]Her oldest son has Mel's nose and jaw, for sure.

[quote]It's not James Woods, Woods has a flat jaw with a cleft. Her eldest son has a rounded, solid jaw like Mel. And look how wide his smile is, like Mel's.

Bullshit Bullshit Bullshit .

Are you people fucking blind. He is so CLEARLY Woods' kid that all this effort to point to Gibson seems an obvious PR tactic to give Mell some publicity and divert people from the obvious.

There was another thread on this the picts DON'T LIE. (SEE THE LINK)

by Anonymousreply 14101/18/2013

IT'S JAMES WOODS. Stop with the PR bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 14201/18/2013

That's Haneke behind Foster's kid!

by Anonymousreply 14301/18/2013

Wow the Ezterhaz stuff was very revealing. I am now CONVINCED Gibson suffers from Bipolar 1 disorder, and feel very sorry for him. That is a deeply troubled bipolar man speaking there, with a major chemical imbalance in his brain. I have seen this up close in an experience with a close friend who suffers from the same thing. She spoke exactly the same way Gibson does here. Said random crazy things that seemed to be coming from a deep place of hate and main and delusion. Very sad. I hope he takes his medication regularly.

by Anonymousreply 14401/18/2013

Pain. Not main.

by Anonymousreply 14501/18/2013

R144, bipolar maybe, or maybe not, but what pissed me off about the article is what he called Jews--"oven hoppers" or something to that horrible effect.

There is no diagnosis for flat-out assholery.

by Anonymousreply 14601/18/2013

yes there is r146.

My friend who has the disease, was always such a good friend to me. I am muslim and she is a devout orthodox Serb. She was never anything but kind, always was interested and open about my culture, and always so caring and there for me when i needed her. As soon as she got sick, she started going insane and said a million nasty things about my culture and religion, hateful and vile things. But when you saw her you could see she was spouting it all out in a totally manic state, almost a stream of consciousness kind of thing. I couldn't believe that this was the same person who had been so good to me. After her hospitalization and medication treatment, she went back to being the sweet and compassionate person she had always been. But the danger of relapse is always there with her. Bipolar disorder is a terrifying thing.

by Anonymousreply 14701/18/2013

I have bi-polar disorder (a family gift - our reunions are wonderful. The year an old aunt fell of a table trying to ride a bicycle on it and broke her tailbone was special) and am appalled that anyone here would excuse an alcoholic hate monger who has ripped on every minority in a shrieking attack. Since when is such behavior - never evidenced in sobriety - excused by an unrelated psychiatric disorder?

Gibson is a filth-mouther, hateful, mean-spirited alcoholic bigot who also may have other psych issues. Keep this straight, please.

When I have been manic OR depressed OR out of control I have not immediately gone for fascist, racist, homophobic, anti-Semitic shit. That's what's IN this man - and that's why it's what comes out when he's drunk and stressed.

Foster is a control-freak cunt who has made a personal judgment and sticks by it, even going so far as insisting the world see how LOYAL she is. It's all about her - typical.

by Anonymousreply 14801/18/2013

He reminds me of someone, too. Especially after reading the stuff in the Esterhaus linked article. An angry, raged-filled insulting person, who I strongly suspect is a big closet case.

by Anonymousreply 14901/18/2013

Like I said before, if Mel said "I FAVOR GAY MARRIAGE", he becomes King of Queens...

You people think you know everything based on a couple of press releases and biased article.

Gimme a break

by Anonymousreply 15001/18/2013

I think Mel is a selfish, spoiled monster. If women don't kiss his ass, he probably hits them. Maybe she is afraid of him? Did her mother hit her?

by Anonymousreply 15101/18/2013

He is kind of like Ryan O'Neal - a good-looking successful actor that is a rage-filled psycho.

by Anonymousreply 15201/18/2013

I don't think she's afraid of him. I think she genuinely loves him as a friend and is determined to stand by him no matter what.

I can't defend him and I wouldn't have him in my house but that's me. She's obviously made a different call.

by Anonymousreply 15301/18/2013

Is Mel Gibson in your house?

by Anonymousreply 15501/18/2013

But would you let Mel Gibson stay in your garage for a 15 minutes? How about the shed? Could he sit on your lawn for five minutes? If you live in an apartment, would it be ok if he was in the hallway for about three minutes?

by Anonymousreply 15601/18/2013

Mel is welcome in my home anytime.

BTW---there is nobody...I repeat nobody who was better looking (male or female) as a young Mel Gibson circa 1982.

by Anonymousreply 15701/18/2013

I would not have him in my house, I would not have him with a mouse, I would not have him here or there, I would not have him anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 15801/18/2013

Neither kid looks anything like Gibson. Older kid could be Julian Sands'. He shares Sands' hook nose and lantern jaw. Poor kid.

by Anonymousreply 15901/18/2013

Please...R153 - If Mel flashed his baby blues and smiled out you - you would drop your drawers in a minute.

by Anonymousreply 16001/18/2013

Steve Antin was rumored at one point.

I would like to through in one point many are not taking into account. Her sons look a bit like her brother. The Foster gene is more in those kids then whomever the father is.

by Anonymousreply 16101/18/2013

Oh, yes, poor kid if he looks like Julian Sands

by Anonymousreply 16201/18/2013

Throw in

by Anonymousreply 16301/18/2013

Thats a good photo r162

by Anonymousreply 16401/18/2013

Jodie and her fans are creepy.

by Anonymousreply 16501/19/2013

Hmmm ; it might be sands....

by Anonymousreply 16601/19/2013

Gibson obviously has mental problems exacerbated by a bizarre upbringing, substance abuse and the narcissism of Hollywood culture. One feels sorry for him but that cannot entirely excuse his words and actions. Help is available to those who want it and have multimillion dollar fortunes.

by Anonymousreply 16701/19/2013

He was SCORCHING hot in the 90's, just the hottest thing on two legs. Still in great shape but the face has taken a bad hit, probably from the drinking and smoking. I think on much of the "crazy" stuff, he was either drunk or provoked and set up. Could happen to anyone.

by Anonymousreply 16801/19/2013

beefcake hot

by Anonymousreply 16901/19/2013

Gibson always looked like a mental challenged Neanderthal. "Hot" if you like that kind of "look". I always thought he was ugly.

by Anonymousreply 17001/19/2013

well.

by Anonymousreply 17101/19/2013

I think he's just plain mean and nothing more. I won't watch his films for any reason.

by Anonymousreply 17201/19/2013

Noone

by Anonymousreply 17301/22/2013

Watching Mel in Signs. Brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 17401/26/2013

Fuckin' listen to me!!

by Anonymousreply 17501/27/2013

I honestly think Mel's problem is more with the male homosexuality vs. A woman being a lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 17601/28/2013

Oh brother. Jodie loves Mel. That should give you fools a clue that there is more to him than meets the eye or what's been printed in the rags

by Anonymousreply 17701/28/2013

[quote]Jodie loves Mel. That should give you fools a clue that there is more to him than meets the eye or what's been printed in the rags

Or less to her.

by Anonymousreply 17901/29/2013

Still one of my favorite youtube videos ever: Dora the Explorer receives a phone call from Mel Gibson.

by Anonymousreply 18001/29/2013

Funny!

by Anonymousreply 18101/29/2013

Who said Jodie Foster's kids were geeky and unattractive? They're actually gorgeous! The older boy is only 13. He's going to be drop-dead hot in five years.

by Anonymousreply 18201/29/2013

by Anonymousreply 18301/29/2013

Who's the blond woman in the third picture at r182's link?

And yes, I agree. Good looking sons, both.

by Anonymousreply 18401/29/2013

That's her ex girlfriend, r184. She likes them butchy.

by Anonymousreply 18501/29/2013

Which ex gfriend?

It's not green gum nor is it Cydney Bernard.

by Anonymousreply 18601/29/2013

I'm not surprised.

It's probably analogous to why people like Anne Coulter and Paris Hilton have a loyal cadre of gay male friends.

I'm not proud of it, but I have been friends with guys that eventually I realized were dicks to most other people.

There's a specific type of het guy who loves gay women, and not just in the "yay pretty fake lesbians" wy, but in the "I love these people as my closest friends" way. They like being able to let down their guard (which they can in their mind because you're a woman). But some of these guys really have issues with straight women so they can't be friends with them. It's kind of sick, but when you're their friend, all you see at first is how sweet they are to you. It makes it easy to think unfair things about their S.O.s "she must really be a crazy bitch and have set him off".

I'm sure Jodie thinks Mel is just troubled and misunderstood.

by Anonymousreply 18701/29/2013

We should keep an eye on the little one (when he's of age, of course) he's 11 and still so clingy with his mom.

by Anonymousreply 18801/29/2013

R186, she's the most recent one. She was part of Madonna's infamous summer tour as a dancer or something.

by Anonymousreply 18901/29/2013

true dat r188. methinks jodie may have one gay boy and one straight one. and the younger one looks just like her, too...so more genes in common.

by Anonymousreply 19001/29/2013

Mel was at his absolute hottest during Lethal Weapon (the first one). OMG. With the longer hair!

by Anonymousreply 19101/30/2013

190. Wow. You are now predicting the sexuality of the kids? Cut it out.

by Anonymousreply 19201/30/2013

I'd let Mel climb on top ot me. Wow.

by Anonymousreply 19301/30/2013

Jodie Foster explained to you:

by Anonymousreply 19401/30/2013

I think either she can relate to the stress that being in the limelight does. And I think that there is some mental illness with either her dad or mom. Maybe she just "gets" Mel because of these two factors.

by Anonymousreply 19501/30/2013
Need more help? Click Here.