and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Fat

Why is everyone so fat?

by Anonymousreply 7601/18/2013

High fructose corn syrup.

Duh.

by Anonymousreply 101/15/2013

People don't seem to watch what they eat anymore.

by Anonymousreply 201/15/2013

Overeating, poor food choices, alcohol consumption, and lack of exercise. A lot of people I know are fat because of one or a combination of these.

by Anonymousreply 301/15/2013

Why is everyone so concerned with everyone else anymore?

Why is everyone such a bully?

by Anonymousreply 401/15/2013

Everything said in the previous comments, plus poverty and depression.

by Anonymousreply 501/15/2013

Unless there is a medical condition, being fat is just plain disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 601/15/2013

HFCS.

Labor-saving everything--people don't even open their fucking car doors and windows anymore.

Cable TV and internet.

Nobody cooks.

Nobody smokes.

Super-sized everything. Food in restaurants served on platters instead of plates.

Snacking is out of control. People eat constantly.

I remember when breakfast was a bowl of cereal (one serving!) and a piece of toast and a glass of juice, lunch was a small sandwich and an apple, and dinner was 5 or 6 ounces of meat, a small starch, a vegetable and a small dinner roll. Nothing in between. Maybe a handful of peanuts while dinner was being cooked.

by Anonymousreply 701/15/2013

Nobody smokes?

by Anonymousreply 801/15/2013

People consume more calories than they expend.

by Anonymousreply 901/15/2013

Smoking burns calories and kills appetite, R8.

by Anonymousreply 1001/15/2013

Because they eat too much and sit on their butts all day. 'nuff said.

by Anonymousreply 1101/15/2013

R3 pretty much described why I'm fat.

by Anonymousreply 1201/15/2013

They eat to much and their lazy!

by Anonymousreply 1301/15/2013

The gay world kills self esteem.

by Anonymousreply 1401/15/2013

No discipline!

by Anonymousreply 1501/15/2013

Please fuck off, Ms. Wintour.

by Anonymousreply 1601/15/2013

Retained feces. Fifty pounds per person, minimum.

by Anonymousreply 1701/15/2013

Discipline and self control have gone out the fucking door.

That's why!

And, these days stupid parents feed their kids nothing but junk. I know a little 4 yr old who always wants a diet coke in the morning.

A frickin A diet coke! And, he gets it!

The only vegetables in their house are potatoes and corn. The only fruits are bananas and the occasional apple.

by Anonymousreply 1801/15/2013

At least he doesn't want a regular Coke, R18.

by Anonymousreply 1901/15/2013

more bounce to the ounce, baby

by Anonymousreply 2001/15/2013

people are operating under the misapprehension that thick is in.

by Anonymousreply 2101/15/2013

But is it really true that discipline and self control have gone out the window for the majority of people (R18)?

And is this hysteria about how fat and obese everyone is getting really true?

Seems to me the hysteria started when doctors and insurance companies started using the BMI as a measuring tool. And then started messing around with the range of what can be considered overweight and obese.

First of all the BMI is a faulty measure to determine how fit someone is and most everyone in the medical community knows this. Yet the papers love to natter on about it as if it's some magical method to determine how fit you are.

Secondly, if the insurance companies and medical associations keep messing with the range, then people can become overweight or obese overnight according to the numbers. It doesn't mean they are in bad health or necessarily overweight. The numbers could change back tomorrow and they would be deemed fine again.

What I see, in NYC anyway, are mostly people of normal weight who look sometimes enormous compared to the current concentration camp ideal of thinness. I don't see that many people who look truly obese. There are probably more of them than there used to be in the US but there are also far more sickly thin people running around especially in upper class circles where it is the norm.

The extremes are very extreme right now, but most people are in the middle. It is in the interest of magazines and newspapers to make you feel hysterically otherwise.

It really is time, even on DL, for people to stop being such hysterical bullies about weight. I don't know one person whose life isn't a bit to a lot fucked up by this. We've really got to stop. It's not helping a soul and especially those with a true obesity problem.

by Anonymousreply 2201/15/2013

OP manages to give new meaning to "thick and thin."

by Anonymousreply 2301/15/2013

Agree with R22.

by Anonymousreply 2401/15/2013

There are so many heavy people who would make for wonderful friends and partners, but this disregard for their appearance disqualifies them. I never count anyone out because of appearances. I am a former fatty myself and understand that being fat is a complicated issue and that losing weight should be a slow endeavor. So...do we not live our lives while we are on the journey to get fit? Should we disregard someone else who is on that journey? No, it is stupid to do so.

by Anonymousreply 2501/15/2013

Fat people smoke.

by Anonymousreply 2601/15/2013

Thin people smoke.

by Anonymousreply 2701/15/2013

Everything is complicated. People are so lazy in today's world though.

If you're sad, it's ok to eat your way into more sadness. If you have no self esteem then eat your way into a bigger problem.

Get off your asses and be more into the world and not on your couch in front of the TV.

by Anonymousreply 2801/15/2013

Why is your nose so bulbous and red OP? Oops, I think we know the answer to that one.

by Anonymousreply 2901/15/2013

You were fat once, too, Karl, so shut yer gob!

by Anonymousreply 3001/15/2013

Yes. But that said, R28, lazy and sitting in front of the TV is an epidemic of its own. My mother was a social worker, and I used to secretly ride around with her to drop of shit and make visits.

Almost all of the clients I saw over the years were UNDERWEIGHT, sitting in front of the tv, waiting for their bag of junk food and check to buy cigarettes and liquor (though don't think that's as easy to do as it once was).

And I kind of disagree about "being in the world" alleviating issues. The world makes a lot of people run the other direction (perhaps rightfully so), and it *ultimately* doesn't care about you--regardless of wealth, charisma, or anything else. That's partially why people have become so obsessed with "meeting their soulmates" and having a "perfect" relationship.

by Anonymousreply 3101/15/2013

*drop OFF shit

Lol.

by Anonymousreply 3201/15/2013

Doritos

High Fructose Corn Syrup

the biggest one, DEPRESSION

by Anonymousreply 3301/15/2013

People are fat because the cheapest food is the worst nutritionally. Fast easy high fat high carb meals. My dad was a diabetic so growing up we had to eat Low/no sugar foods, a lot of protein and veggies. Just lucky I guess growing up that way.

by Anonymousreply 3401/15/2013

So many fatties are very angry at thin and attractive people, rather than trying to exercise, they brag about how much food and liquor that they can consume. They feel that it is there right to do anything that they want.

Others are overweight due to a medical illness or injury and unable to exercise, temporarily or permanently. Those should gain our sympathy.

by Anonymousreply 3501/15/2013

I agree R35. I have a group of people I used to hang out with more but now just peripherally. By their mid-30s, they were still partying like they were in their 20s. I was 5-7 years older than most of them and warned them all the drinking would catch up with them. Now every single one of them is way overweight. One has high blood pressure. But all they do is brag about how much liquor they can consume and how high their tolerance is. As they head into their 40s, they're not looking good.

One of the people in this group also ruins every party. She watches what everyone is drinking to make sure you're all drunk so you don't notice how much she drinks. Twisted. We all know how much she drinks.

by Anonymousreply 3601/15/2013

R36, I wonder what cow-town you reside in as no one drinks anymore! It is so passe and OVAH that only clods still drink AND smoke.

Tell your drunky friends that their behavior is stupid and boring and that they are stupid and boring to be doing it.

by Anonymousreply 3701/15/2013

It's amusing how overweight people try to justify their behavior. Unless there is a specific health issue that leads to weight gain then please do not justify being fat. It's simply unhealthy and a sign that people are not attempting to get the help they need either with depression of laziness.

A little weight is one thing but there is no excuse for obesity. None.

by Anonymousreply 3801/15/2013

Pretty much everything you've said there is a lie R38.

by Anonymousreply 3901/15/2013

portion size, corn syrup, stress, fast food, super sizing

by Anonymousreply 4001/15/2013

"I eat elastic on a Saturday night"--Elton John

by Anonymousreply 4101/15/2013

Really why the fuck do you care (R38)?

Whether not people are willingly obese is beside the point. It's not your business and who are you to judge what other people do?

And don't give me the bullshit about fat people driving up healthcare costs. Anyone who drives a car or has a baby is potentially driving up healthcare costs. These are high risk activities. There is no definitive proof that says that being obese will CAUSE any particular disease; it is noted as a potentially negative factor. Same as living under a lot of stress or being an asshole. Correlation is not causation.

And anyway, if we were really so concerned about health care costs, we would have been rioting a long time ago against the insurance companies and pharma companies who keep the system so untenable.

What you are really looking for is someone to whom you can feel morally superior. And in my opinion, you've picked a ridiculous basis for that.

People used to try to morally better themselves by doing things like helping the poor or funding the arts. Now they feel smug about going to the stupid gym. Who cares? Exercise is great stuff, but doing it doesn't make you superior.

by Anonymousreply 4201/15/2013

I've noticed a lot of overweight people still get laid, makes me wonder if all the "no fats" on grindr really will suck a big mans dick when it comes down to it.

by Anonymousreply 4401/15/2013

I assume you're perfection OP. Why don't you tell us your secrets?

by Anonymousreply 4501/15/2013

Sedetary lifestyles, portions offered and accepted, commute times to work, soda, and alcohol.

by Anonymousreply 4601/15/2013

{quote]They eat to much and their lazy!

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 4701/15/2013

Depression depression depression.

by Anonymousreply 4901/15/2013

r43 I don't know the answer to your acorn issue but I just watched Being There last night so high-five for the reference ;-)

r42 I agree that on a fundamental level everyone needs to have respect for everyone else and that all people should be treated equally. And your point about people trying to morally better themselves by donating to the poor or funding the arts bears repeating because those are fantastic things to do and much more productive than casting blame and complaining.

However, I disagree with you regarding your claims that obesity isn't an epidemic problem, and that it doesn't drive up healthcare costs --it does. It affects many aspects of not only the healthcare system but also the economy, military, public transportation and more. It isn't just an individual problem, it's a societal one.

by Anonymousreply 5001/15/2013

Sugar.

It's in everything and EVERY major chain will do everything they can to addict you to their crap via this simple, addictive base.

by Anonymousreply 5101/15/2013

[quote]I've noticed a lot of overweight people still get laid, makes me wonder if all the "no fats" on grindr really will suck a big mans dick when it comes down to it.

If it's not at that point, it probably will be, as I think all these things turn out to be pretty similar. When Craigslist first became popular to browse just for the pervs and weirdos on there, I took a look. And I noticed that guys of all orientations, including the ones who said "no fatties" (and most of them seem to), are duds who can't be picky. But the fact that they're soliciting something over Craigslist should tell you enough.

One of the saddest concepts is guys who live in the middle of nowhere who are picky online. Who do they think they're going to attract?

by Anonymousreply 5201/15/2013

Agree R38. There is no excuse to be fat. Eat and exercize for your metabolism and body type.

by Anonymousreply 5401/15/2013

What about the fat women R55. It's alot more disgusting on them. Stop the man hate.

by Anonymousreply 5601/15/2013

LIfe is tiring and stressful. Sex starts losing its excitement. Food doesn't disappoint.

by Anonymousreply 5701/15/2013

I'd rather be fat and feel good inside, then be a starving queen!

by Anonymousreply 6001/15/2013

Try taking Effexor and Abilify and you'll be fat too.

by Anonymousreply 6101/15/2013

It always disgusts me when former overweight people talk about other peoples weight, I have the urge to remind them that they can always gain it back.

by Anonymousreply 6201/15/2013

No, all people don't deserve respect! Gay-bashers, gang-bangers, right-wing fundies, KKK members..sure R42! Lets be nice to everyone!

by Anonymousreply 6301/15/2013

Slow metabolisms are the culprit.

by Anonymousreply 6401/15/2013

There are so many fat people for the same reason there are so many stupid people. The gene pool is beyond contaminated with the DNA from people who in a perfect world would have died without spawning.

by Anonymousreply 6501/15/2013

I have sympathy for overweight people, don't judge them and stay out of their business.

But I do notice that my overweight friends have trouble moving around, that they feel self-conscious, and that -- frankly -- they looked a lot better 5 years and 40 pounds ago.

There are definitely a lot more fat people than in the past. In my high school years ago we had a handful of them. They were whispered about. At the high school across the street from me there are now hundreds of hard-core fat students. Not a good development no matter how defensive people get. These kids' young years are already less fun.

The key is to keep weight from creeping on in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 6601/15/2013

The problem is that there is too much acceptance of fat. Less people were fat when it was less acceptable. It's good to tell people that they would look better if they would lose a large amount of weight or to mock them with kindness when they head to the buffet for a fourth trip.

by Anonymousreply 6701/15/2013

Fat is a choice, you make it one bite at a time.

by Anonymousreply 6801/16/2013

[quote]I'd rather be fat and feel good inside, then be a starving queen!

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 6901/16/2013

(R50) You are quoting a Wiki page with references to studies that have already been misrepresented or disproved.

Also, as I pointed out in (R18), what do these statistics about the percentage of Americans who are obese or overweight mean when one can be deemed either overnight by a the latest manipulations of the ranges? Are you aware that technically George Clooney and Brad Pitt are considered overweight by the current BMI standards?

Is there really an obesity problem that is costing America or is it just hysteria?

There is much wrong and irrational information out there about this topic and I think it's bad news. It's screwing up peoples' heads.

by Anonymousreply 7001/16/2013

I blame soda

by Anonymousreply 7101/16/2013

I'm curious to what drastic change started to get people big, I was a child in the 90s, and even then there was only like 1 fat kid in every class. By the time I hit middle school is when I noticed there was a large increase.

by Anonymousreply 7201/16/2013

But did you notice an increase (R72) or is your memory influenced by government agencies and health reporters telling you that everyone has gotten fatter in the last twenty years?

Or did you start going to middle school with a wider, more varied population of kids?

I've taught school and I did not notice more exceptionally fat children then when I was growing up. I see about the same thing. Most kids are thin to normal. Some kids go though a pudgy stage in adolescence that leans itself out as they get taller. And some kids have the misfortune to have a naturally adipose body composition for which they are still made to be horribly ashamed.

This perception that everyone is getting fatter is questionable at best and actually wrong. There has been no extensive, scientifically sound study that proves this. Just many little badly done studies, with follow up studies often proving them wrong. The government relies on statistics from "experts" from obesity study panels who will twist any statistic around to say what they want it to say. Why? Because they are paid a lot of money by the pharma-diet industry.

They use a measuring method that is known to be faulty, the BMI, and use the numbers pell mell to say whatever they want to say. If there aren't enough "overweight" people to justify their existence, then they can change the numbers around without regard to other factors such as muscle weight, or body frame or differences between ethnic groups.

I'm not saying that this is some thought out conspiracy. It's a national hysteria. The reason I'm railing on so much is that I think it's at worst causing a lot of emotional anguish in normal to biggish people who are at weights that are perfectly fine and guaranteeing the unfortunates who do fall into the obese category a miserable life.

AND WHY? It's ridiculous. The country is in a mess and the only thing every can agree on is what a disgusting sin it is to be even mildly overweight and how it's ruining the country. This is bullshit. There are many things ruining the country, but this is not one of them.

I don't know one gay man or straight woman who doesn't feel completely insecure about their body and who doesn't waste a ton of energy worrying about it. It's such a distraction from the important things that anyone might do with their lives.

This is why I've been railing on in this thread. I wish we could all just stop wasting energy by being so neurotic about weight and get to some real issues.

by Anonymousreply 7301/17/2013

Somebody ask Rebel Wilson

by Anonymousreply 7401/17/2013

Two reasons - the prevalence of cheap nutritionally bad food and the wage gap.

Why put effort into making a healthy low calorie satisfying meal when I can get a number 5 a McDonalds? Why spend 50 a week on fresh veggies when I have not gotten a raise in 10 years.

We are working more for less money and have less free time. In turn we use fast food as a way get more free time. Want to treat the kids? fast food. Working late? Pick up Taco Bell. People have no time, so no time to exercise, let alone make a good decent healthy meal. They don't teach nutrition in schools any more and by the time kids would be old enough to learn it they are already fat asses. People often wonder why people on welfare are obese, I mean the are poor right they should be starving? Nope, again the cheapest food is the worst for you.

by Anonymousreply 7501/17/2013

r42=400lbs

by Anonymousreply 7601/18/2013
Need more help? Click Here.