Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

In the 70s, were any of your parents Moose members?

I'm confused about this organization. They gather in "lodges" and do charity work. I think Moose members are working class, but is there also a religious component? Are blacks welcome?

by Anonymousreply 4601/15/2013

Elks Club. Moose Club. What's the difference?

No one in my family has ever been in either.

Or Civitan.

Or Rotary.

Or the Masons.

Or the Kiwanis.

Or Shriners.

Or any of that shit.

by Anonymousreply 101/15/2013

The Moose is for men and the organization for their wives is the Squirrels.

by Anonymousreply 201/15/2013

My Father is an elk!

by Anonymousreply 301/15/2013

Yeah. My mom made it all the way to Senior Regent for the Ladies of the Moose Lodge. Years later, my partner at the time and I joined the same lodge because of you could gamble and the drinks were cheap. Those hets didn't know what hit them. We used to have martial spats sitting at the bar--hilarity ensued. Oddly enough, we never had ANY trouble with anyone, at least to our faces--I think they were scared of us!

by Anonymousreply 401/15/2013

what was the lodge Fred Flintstone belonged to? The hats were awesome. Oh, found it. Loyal Order of Water Buffaloes Lodge No. 26.

by Anonymousreply 501/15/2013

R1 is proud of coming from a trashy family that never participated in social, fraternal, community or philanthropic organizations. What a fine example of the spawn of such a brood of selfish do-nothings. Just look at how the post is phrased, and the idiot tone of the thing.

by Anonymousreply 601/15/2013

Knights of Colimbus

by Anonymousreply 701/15/2013

None of these fine organizations are listed in the Social Register, R6. This may come as a surprise to you, but not all clubs, charities and civic organizations utilize silly hats or secret handshakes.

by Anonymousreply 801/15/2013

Until now, I never knew the Moose lodges were a real thing.

by Anonymousreply 901/15/2013

R6 = quintessential convention -- wearing a silly civic club convention name tag and thinking he's really something at the grand national in Las Vegas this year which he calls just "Vegas" because he thinks he's so worldly.

by Anonymousreply 1001/15/2013

When I was in elementary school, the Moose lodge would give a Christmas party for the school. We would file into the auditorium with holiday music playing. Then the curtain would go up and Santa would be seated in the middle of the stage with several elves standing by. The stage was piled high with hundreds of Christmas presents. Everyone in school received a gift. It was great!!!

by Anonymousreply 1101/15/2013

its sort of for factory workers and plumbers. very low brow and highly peppered with a tinge of inbreeding. all of these small town groups are for those that couldn't get into the country club and have no use for knives and forks.

by Anonymousreply 1201/15/2013

It's a place for old white guys to get together.

Basically, they are private bars for men to go and get shitfaced while they complain about their wives, and about anything newer than 1950.

by Anonymousreply 1301/15/2013

[quote]None of these fine organizations are listed in the Social Register

Probably an advantage.

They're social clubs, charities, and fraternal organizations, not some dowager-approved, eugenic bullshit that upwardly mobile pretentious queens with an aristocracy fetish like to pretend they know so much about.

by Anonymousreply 1401/15/2013

My father was an Elk. I don't know if it was working class. I would say it was mostly middle class including upper. Back when there was a middle class.

by Anonymousreply 1501/15/2013

The only religious component is if you worship Bud Light.

by Anonymousreply 1601/15/2013

Lodges seemed to be for the lower middle class and small businessmen of a town. My uncle was an Elk, and the only time I saw his lodge friends was at his funeral where they did a nice good-bye.

I read an article about Lodges and such, and the author pointed out that many of the men who joined were in business alone, or were somehow isolated in their jobs, so it gave them people to hang out with. Also, these organizations often provided the health insurance most got from their companies at reasonable rates.

For the civic minded, these groups were a great way to pool charitable dollars. The big groups like the Shiners did great service like building hospitals and (as noted above) throwing fun Christmas parties. My mom was poor and thrre quarters of a decade later, she still remembers the Shriners' Christmas parties at the Shrine auditorium where poor kids were given lunch, entertainment and toys.

In this new World Order, lodges have taken a hit, and most groups still around have mostly elderly members. The Shriners Hospital for Burned Children was closing, last I heard.

by Anonymousreply 1701/15/2013

These groups are all ways for white guys to pat themselves on the back and pretend they are "upstanding" citizens.

I was in DeMolay when I was a teenager, which is a youth group tied to the Masons. The Masons were all horribly conservative, racist assholes. Not even a tiny bit involved with the community. It was all "let's sit around and talk about how awesome we are."

And the Masons involved with DeMolay were the "upstanding pillars of the community" who somehow liked to play dick-grab with their proteges - or much more.

Hypocrisy, personified.

by Anonymousreply 1801/15/2013

In many cases the lodges originated as a way for men to get out of the house. Remember that houses were smaller, families were larger, and chances that you had a member of you extended family living with you was high. It was a way of getting out of a crowded, noisy, and often predominately female environment.

Also, it was a way of getting around a dry county as private clubs were generally exempt.

I grew up next to a dry, Quaker town. The Elks club in my town was on one side of the street, with the town line going right down the middle of the street. The police of "Quakertown" always stationed a police car on their side of the street. Any Elk that crossed the street and even has alcohol on his breath was arrested. So, the boys scouts would be stationed at the door of the Elks club to walk the drunk lodge members to their cars and to make sure that they did not wander across the street.

As to the Masons, my partner and I live in a small, blue collar village 20 minutes from NYC. The local Masons know we are Gay and are still trying to get us to join the lodge. Of course we also get invited to the VFW picnic every year.

by Anonymousreply 1901/15/2013

My grandpa was a bartender at the Moose Lodge in Frankfort, Kentucky in the 70s. I don't know if he was an actual Moose or just hired help. I remember visiting him there one time when I was a kid.

by Anonymousreply 2001/15/2013

I never understood the difference between the American Legion and the Veterans of Foreign Wars, but they had bingo at the VFW, and I liked the daubers in all the different colors.

by Anonymousreply 2101/15/2013

My dad was a Shriner. He had a fabulous fez and with a rhinestone medallion on it. I loved wearing it around the house.

by Anonymousreply 2201/15/2013

My dad was a NAMBLA member

by Anonymousreply 2301/15/2013

My dad is a lapsed Mason. He still keeps to his vow of secrecy or whatever.

The one that freaked me out is that my mum and all her sisters were members of the Northern Star - female masons!!!

by Anonymousreply 2401/15/2013

No, but they had moose knuckles.

by Anonymousreply 2501/15/2013

Elk clubs had a lot of land when I was growing up on Lawn Guyland. Carnivals often set up on Elk club grounds during summer. Bingo at the Elks with grandma was fun. It was the first place where I had Thomas's English muffin pizzas.

Most LI Elk clubs are long gone, with car dealerships, gas stations and 711s in their place.

by Anonymousreply 2601/15/2013

[quote] The one that freaked me out is that my mum and all her sisters were members of the Northern Star - female masons!!!

But were they ever Rainbow Girls?

by Anonymousreply 2701/15/2013

[quote]I was in DeMolay when I was a teenager, which is a youth group tied to the Masons. The Masons were all horribly conservative, racist assholes. Not even a tiny bit involved with the community. It was all "let's sit around and talk about how awesome we are."

DeMolay? as in Jaques De Molay the last Grandmaster of the Knights Templar?

by Anonymousreply 2801/15/2013

When I was a preteen I spent a few years in public school. When a few of my classmates became became deMolay and Rainbows, that was one of the deciding factors in my mother sending me to a catholic high school two hours away from home via public bus. Masonry was akin to sorcery and necromancy to my mother's catholic family. Masons and the fact that Puerto Ricans were entering the school system ruined my teen years.

Thanks for being a racist asshole, mom.

by Anonymousreply 2901/15/2013

[quote] Basically, they are private bars for men to go and get shitfaced while they complain about their wives, and about anything newer than 1950.

Now it's the firehouse that serves this purpose in my hometown. And they complain about rap music, Mexicans and the war on Christmas. And they have DVD players (or maybe they still have VHS players, who knows) for watching pron. The poor old 1950s guys had to play stag films on reel projectors.

by Anonymousreply 3001/15/2013

Yes R28, as in Jacques DeMolay.

Masons - men's organization.

Eastern Star - ladies' equivalent to Masons.

DeMolay = junior Masons.

Then you had TWO choices for the junior frau crowd. Rainbow Girls was open to all girls. Job's Daughters had to be related to a Mason.

The Jobies were more fun to be around. They were the slutty drunky girls. The Rainbow Girls were all boring fraus.

DeMolay is supposed to be this moral, Boy Scout-esque place but it was a big sausage fest.

by Anonymousreply 3101/15/2013

George Stevens was the King Fish at the Mystic Knights of the Sea Lodge.

by Anonymousreply 3201/15/2013

My grandfather was in the Scottish Rite. He was really upset when his son (my father) married a Catholic.

by Anonymousreply 3301/15/2013

The most hilarious (ironically) thing about Masons is that our national push for segregation even hit them - they had a whole different Masonic group for black men (Knights of Pythagoras).

Eventually some Masonic chapters and some DeMolays started letting men of color join, but as recently as late 80s/early 90s that was THE scandal of all scandals to even have a *whispers* black person! attend one of your functions.

oy, vey. These people were so out of touch.

by Anonymousreply 3401/15/2013

Shrine Auditorium, LA

by Anonymousreply 3501/15/2013

Meet Ralph Sewell, one of the founders of the DeMolay group for young men:

He lived in the home of Louis Lower and became the credit manager for H. D. Lee Mercantile Company, makers of Lee jeans. Mr. Sewell was a skilled pianist and organist. He died in July 1976 and became the seventh ruby.

by Anonymousreply 3601/15/2013

Keep in mind, folks, that as DeMolays, we all called the adult advisory leaders in the groups "Dads".

No, REALLY. I am not making this up.

R36 How interesting...two men in the same home together....

by Anonymousreply 3701/15/2013

"thrre quarters of a decade later, she still remembers"

Wow, she can remember seven and a half years later? Stunning.

by Anonymousreply 3801/15/2013

R38's penis is finally erect. Everyone applaud.

by Anonymousreply 3901/15/2013

R38 and R39 are fucking hilarious!

by Anonymousreply 4001/15/2013

Wow, there are some real assholes in this thread. Truly, DL's finest.

I grew up in a small town and my dad was a Mason, a Moose Club member and a member of the VFW, along with various forays into other clubs, like Rotary.

He was a veteran, so the VFW had personal meaning for him, but beyond that, it was both a social and business thing for him.

My parents weren't particularly churchy, but they still wanted something with the same social aspect. But my dad was also a business owner, so a lot of this was more networking.

by Anonymousreply 4101/15/2013

My grandpa was a member in Ohio. He would take me as a young kid- get me Shirley Temples. I think these sorts of lodges grew during the prohibition era. All the members had a locker for their bottle. They did do community things like toys for orphans at Christmas, delivering food to the home bound.

by Anonymousreply 4201/15/2013

My grandparents belonged to the Moose lodge. I saw no religious component but their whole town was Norwegian/Lutheran regardless.

by Anonymousreply 4301/15/2013

Growing up in Columbus, Ohio, in the early 70s, there was a Moose Lodge down the street from the middle class subdivision I lived in. Many people in our neighborhood belonged (including my parents for a couple years) because of the cheap (decent) food and drink, nice grounds and pool. Most were just social members. I worked there as a bus boy on weekends for 2+ years. I was always treated well and made OK money. The people who were really involved were nice but strange - many dedicating too much time (away from there families) and some just wanted to spend time in a bar. They had some weird oaths and 'the 9:00 ceremony' each evening where all activities stopped and a prayer was said - always honoring the children of Moosehaven (orphanage) and Mooseheart(old age home). Quirky and odd but OK. Right after the ceremony the drinking commenced again...

Only in the 70s...

by Anonymousreply 4401/15/2013

My Dad was in the Kiwanis Club. I just remember a lot of pancake breakfasts.

by Anonymousreply 4501/15/2013

We may not be Moose, Shriners, Masons, Elks, Lions, Rotarians, but a lot of us are definitely Odd Fellows.

by Anonymousreply 4601/15/2013
Need more help? Click Here.