Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Do you like yourself? Why or why not?

Simple question.

I don't like myself. Hideous, low self-esteem, no friends---almost a recluse, if it weren't for my family---lack of self-control. A contradiction---wishing to be great but exceedingly lazy---. My few redeeming traits: hard-working (sorta), does not cause trouble, and ambitious.

by Anonymousreply 3601/17/2013

I like to smell my own farts.

by Anonymousreply 101/14/2013

OP, do you want to change those things?

Me: Selfish, vengeful, envious of others that have more than I do - especially lazy fuck ups who made it because of family or frond connections. One in particular who makes over 80K and dicks around on Facebook all day.

I like the fact that I'm a great cook, I can be charming, and I've lost a lot of weight and kept it off.

by Anonymousreply 201/14/2013

You envy an 80k/year salary? That's less than 6k a month take home! How far is that going to get him r2. Even in Flyoversville. Set your sites elsewhere.... But congrats on the weight loss, that's a big accomplishment.

by Anonymousreply 301/14/2013

R3= pretentious douche.

R2, even if you make less than half of that, you'd still be consider super rich yourself by the vast majority of people in this world.

by Anonymousreply 401/15/2013

I am dead to me. DEAD to me!

by Anonymousreply 501/15/2013

[quote]You envy an 80k/year salary? That's less than 6k a month take home!

That's quite a bit higher than the average American makes. Perhaps you make more than that; yet most people in the US do not individually .

by Anonymousreply 601/15/2013

Yes. I think I'm just wonderful. (and SAG and Academy members....please vote)

by Anonymousreply 701/15/2013

No, I'm an anxious and depressed mess who is currently enduring a serious bought of both hyper and hydrocondria. I suffer from severe social anxiety that has left me friendless and dependant on my family for support. So there's not a lot to like about myself at the moment.

by Anonymousreply 801/15/2013

Fellow self-loathing mess here. Have been suffering from severe social anxiety/depression since I was a teenager. I always expected to "grow out of it," but that never happened. My life has been in a holding pattern, and I have no real friends. I feel like a waste of space and am embarrassed about my very existence.

by Anonymousreply 901/15/2013

I think I'm bipolar or something because I'm both my own best friend and my own worst enemy. I go back and forth between the two multiple times per day. I know that I love myself more than anyone else on this planet's just me and myself against the world...and yet I'll almost positively die of suicide.

by Anonymousreply 1001/15/2013

Yes. I' m funny, smart, and kind. I have some awesome friends. I sometimes get down on myself but I am learning to change that.

by Anonymousreply 1101/15/2013

I'm just like OP (except for the ambitious part) and I'm exactly like R9. My life sucks.

by Anonymousreply 1201/15/2013

Always down on myself. Not sure why. Parents couldn't figure it out, sisters keep asking why, friends. Counseling for 2 years and he couldn't figure it out, but then, he was just as F ed up because he almost became a priest before decided he liked the cock more.

by Anonymousreply 1301/15/2013

I've grown to like myself more as I get older, I'm able to tolerate my own flaws instead of hating them like I did when I was young. Not to the point of total self-acceptance, but the fact is I've overcome an awful lot of difficulties, including a nightmarish start in life.

Maybe by the time I'm old, I'll actually like myself.

by Anonymousreply 1401/15/2013

If I could be young(er) with the knowledge I have now, I'd like myself much more. Hindsight is 20/20 and all. I'm trying to just stay present right now. I think that might be the key to happiness.

by Anonymousreply 1501/15/2013

I have always liked myself, only way one can survive in my opinion. I don't give a shit if anyone else likes me or not. I am not everyone's cup of tea. I like myself because I accept my frailties and work with my best assets. I am confident, self assured and capable. I can get things done, accept responsibility and can lead when needed. I am self sufficient and seldom second guess my actions or behavior. I am quick to set wrongs towards others right when I make a mistake. I easily admit when I am wrong.

by Anonymousreply 1601/15/2013

I like myself, but I'm too easily disappointed by myself and others.

Body dysmorphia? Check. I expect a model quality body at the age of 45 and this shit has fallen never to get up.

Not mentally present for most activities? Check.

Attention span of a squirrel with spurts of intense focus at inappropriate times? Check.

by Anonymousreply 1701/15/2013

I used to but in the last year and a half, not so much. I feel isolated. My family and good friends live in other cities. I've become rather boring. I stay home and watch TV. I've never developed a good circle of friends in the city I live in now. Well, not entirely true. I did have a best friend who moved away. I started to feel worse about myself after my ex got a serious boyfriend. He and I maintained a friendship, probably too close after a break up. He was my best friend for years and now that's gone.

by Anonymousreply 1801/15/2013

newsflash! what you just said describes everyone. that's the big secret. so now that you know this you can quit your self-loathing and move on. right?

by Anonymousreply 1901/15/2013

R14? You will.

Getting older, while sometimes physically disconcerting, can be mentally exhilarating.

by Anonymousreply 2001/15/2013

I am envious of others' materialistic things, I know I am ok looking really (people tell me I am) but I just don't see it, I am nervous and somewhat shy at times. Also a worrier about things I have no control over.

Redeeming qualities; I am friendly, neat most of the time, a great cook and can be (so I am told) very charming when I want to be. I have been told too that I have a great sense of humor and am witty. Also I have great hair for my age.

by Anonymousreply 2101/15/2013

I used to be like OP but now I like myself. i think I just finally got to an age where I didn't want to waste time comparing against family or others, was doing ok-ish and just wanted to get on with it. Once i started letting things go, I was happier overall....

by Anonymousreply 2201/15/2013

I allow for a lot of inattention and ignorance in my uprearing. Interest has always been the key to any happiness, and looking back that so often mates with affection.

My interest in myself tends to morbidity, so I am happier when I am relieved of it.

by Anonymousreply 2301/15/2013

Yeah because I'm tough and basically a good honest person. I have a lot more integrity then many people I've met. I've worked hard to become somebody I could like and respect.

by Anonymousreply 2401/16/2013

No. I lost lot of weight and gained it back.

by Anonymousreply 2501/16/2013

R3 = The Queen of England.

by Anonymousreply 2601/16/2013

Sometimes I like myself very much and other times not at all.

I'm going through a rough patch right now and it sucks. I actually was in excellent physical condition at 45, even at 47, and looked the best I ever did in my life in my 40 (and got a lot of attention), and loved it. Now nearing my mid 50s, I'm a wreck. But the cosmetic part of it is small potatoes to feeling like a wreck and being riddled with self-doubt. I should thank goodness for having had that "prime," but the truth is I miss it greatly.

The fact is I've been manic depressive all m life and am very tired of being a complicated human being,

And before I am jumped on by everyone, I do try to make posititive changes in my life, to take care of myself emotionally and physically, I have a good job where I am respected, I have a wonderful partner, we have a wide circle of friends and are invited out a great deal. I don't feel like going, but I go.

It's a challenge. And my head lately lives in a sphere of regret. If I'm not reading at work or at home reading a book away from the madding crowd, I feel all too vulnerable or invisible, and socially awkward - which was hardly the case with me before.

I am riddled with remorse over being a knucklehead in my past over a million petty things. And I can't seem to fogive myself. And, while I've usually had a healthy sense of humor about my own foibles and ridiculousness, and have thankfully (and appreciatively) made amends for the few seriously regrettable things in my life, they are at present all haunting me and not letting me go and my sense of humor is failing me.

I'm in a rut and I really can't stand myself. And I obsess about the unfairness of the world, both as it reflects on myself and on others far less fortunate than I. To use 70s pop psych jargon, I'm in a I"m not ok, you're not ok state.

And, yes, I am getting help.

by Anonymousreply 2701/16/2013

I sound a lot like you, OP, or at least that's how I would describe myself if asked. I've made changes, though, to do things that go against my inherent personality and levels of comfort, and I'm finding out that people don't see me the same way I see myself.

by Anonymousreply 2801/16/2013

Yes, I do.

I'm still more anxious than I'd like, but am better at letting those episodes pass.

I've learned to take stock of my surroundings and what people tell me. I have a great apartment, a wonderful partner who loves me and me him, many great friends, and am good at what I do based on what I am constantly told.

People always tell me I'm kind, smart, and fun. I've figured out they all can't be wrong!

by Anonymousreply 2901/16/2013

I like myself for being able to read at least a few posts here without responding with "cunt." It's impressive, I think.

by Anonymousreply 3101/16/2013

I do like myself but didn't used to. I'm 44 now, but in my 20s I hated myself, had low self esteem and thought I was hideous (I was--and am--not).

Lots of personal growth in my 30s made me realize that I'm smart, kind, thoughtful and quite cute.

by Anonymousreply 3201/16/2013

For those of you who have improved their inherent personalities and became less anxious and more outgoing, how did you go about it? I have the same problem, and do not know where to start to become less of a loner.

by Anonymousreply 3301/16/2013

[quote]I hates me cause I's infested wit da AIDS.

That's the least of your worries darling.

by Anonymousreply 3401/16/2013

I love myself. I'm beautiful, that's not just my opinion, it's been the general consensus since I was a child, intelligent, a good and loyal friend, fairly honest, I can't think of anyone I'd rather be.

by Anonymousreply 3501/17/2013

I like myself more than I did. Here are two things that worked for me:

1) I've done some things I'm genuinely proud of. Once you do that, the little inner voice saying you're a useless loser tends to fade a bit.

2) I've given up on the idea of HAVING IT ALL, which really is bullshit. In a world full of poverty and foreclosures anyone who has anything worthwhile is fortunate, and it's just good sense to appreciate what we have. We shouldn't bashing ourselves for failing to have the huge mansion, glamor job, and trophy spouse, unrealistic expectations are s sure path to misery.

by Anonymousreply 3601/17/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!