Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Sorry, Hugh Jackman can't sing

He's ok with "Surry with a fringe on top" but should be shot for attempting "Les Miserables".

by Anonymousreply 2703/10/2015

It seems to be a very unpopular position to take, but I agree. Although I think he is a very talented actor, gorgeous man who seems to be genuine and nice also, his voice is functional only in my humble opinion. He hits the notes, but there is no depth, style and a sometimes unpleasant quality to it.

by Anonymousreply 101/15/2013

r2, die please.

I love The Boy From Oz cast recording, but he does have this way of 'cheating' when he sings -- it's sort of a mix of sing speaking and singing out of the side of his mouth. There's no power to it, compared to Paulo Szot in South Pacific for example.

Great in Les Miz, but I don't want him to become the go to person for musicals in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 301/15/2013

No core and no support

by Anonymousreply 401/15/2013

Jackman has a serviceable voice. He's a good interpreter, so he's effective on stage in films. But I'd not want to listen to an album of Jackman singing.

by Anonymousreply 501/15/2013

I saw him in his one man show on Broadway last year and he was fabulous. He's charming, entertaining, obbviously loves interacting with the audience. He's one of my favorites. However, sitting through 2.5 hours of bad singing really got to me last night. His acting was wonderful but as emotional as that play was, I was virtually unmoved by the movie. I do attribute that to the fact that the most of the characters couldn't sing, especially Hugh. Since the singing is the integral part of this character, I have to give the Oscar to Daniel Day-Lewis.

by Anonymousreply 601/15/2013

Forgot to sign off as OP

by Anonymousreply 701/15/2013

I think the OP missed the point about how and why the vocals were done.

by Anonymousreply 801/15/2013

He could be good with some training, but he really really sings poorly. Of course, there is no reason for people to sing well. Plenty become stars because they are exceptionally attractive. People like r8 miss the point that the vocals are bad not because they are live, but because we require stars.

by Anonymousreply 901/15/2013

Thank you, OP! I'm mystified by all the praise and accolades Jackman has received. His voice was really unpleasant to listen to in the movie. He started out fine. I was quite impressed by him during the prolog, especially during "What Have I Done?" despite the vibrato, but after that he didn't rise to the occasion, which hurts the film 'cause as the sole protagonist he needed to carry the entire movie. For me, it was like going to a child's piano recital and wincing each time they hit the wrong key. As much as I wanted to love him, his bad singing got in the way of his performance. The last straw was his butchering of "Bring Him Home." I was expecting (well, hoping by this point in the movie) to be blown away, as I have been by several stage Valjeans, but it was such a letdown. I agree the role was vocally out of his range, and I further concur with the OP that, since the role is mainly sung, he doesn't deserve to win the Oscar. He didn't even deserve the nominations, but we all know he only got it 'cause LES MIZ wasn't a complete failure as some feared (or hoped) and in fact is doing quite well. But had the movie bombed a la NINE, no way would he've been one of the 5 candidates.

by Anonymousreply 1001/15/2013

Hugh jackman can sing he is very amazing in les miserables he is a amazing company leader

by Anonymousreply 1105/15/2013

Agree- wonderful entertainer, presence on stage, gorgeous- but his voice is just servicable. Saw him in Carosel sp? years back and he was wonderful as the character, but whenever he broke into song I longed for Gordon McCrae. He has one of those wobbly vibratos and goes flat as soon as it begins- just like Liza (in her prime as well.) Can work in person to a degree, but he will never be a recording artist. He is no Josh Groben.

by Anonymousreply 1205/15/2013

Totally agree. His "Bring Him Home" was cringeworthy. I couldn't believe anyone connected with the film would release it that way.

by Anonymousreply 1305/15/2013

You're cute R15. Cute but WRONG.

by Anonymousreply 1405/15/2013

What are you, R14? Psychic?

by Anonymousreply 1505/15/2013

I KNEW you were gonna post that.

by Anonymousreply 1605/15/2013

I saw Les Mis on stage in London and the singing was moving. I watched Jackman in the movie version last night and it reminded me of the only time I went to the Siberian Orchestra to see what it was all about. I could hardly contain my disgust when they had 4 vocalists attempt to sing Carmina Burana. They didn't just destroy the music, they obliterated it. It's like listening to the richest, most beautiful music you've ever heard piped through a 1960's 2 resistor radio on a 2 inch paper speaker. I don't care who it is, an actor who has not gone through the work of many years to learn to really sign, rarely compares to someone who has. I found Russell Crow's voice better than Jackmans. The movie was ill conceived and I can only hope such a venture will not be attempted and marketed again.

by Anonymousreply 1709/03/2013

He's not bad, you're just people who can't judge singing.

by Anonymousreply 1809/03/2013

R17 "Russell's [...] voice better than Jackman's"

Just No. No. And No. Not Crow, not Nipsey, and certainly not Rosalind. Jackman's voice was not great, but never worse than Russell's.

by Anonymousreply 1909/03/2013

REMEMBER: movies, theatre, musical comedies are also businesses.

HJ’s first reward is only due to: •tThe will of reinforcing the links between the UK and one member of the British Commonwealth •tThe working acquaintances, the working relationships of DF.

HJ’s star on the walk of fame is only due to: •tInfluent people like Rupert Murdoch •tThe fact that it is imperative to reinforce some diplomatical links between Australia and the USA •tTo thank DF for having acting in American soap operas.

Even if each one of them (HJ like DF) has lived homosexual experiences (has had homosexual affairs), those affairs are perfectly kept secret, perfectly hidden from their children, their respective family (parents, brothers and sisters, cousins), and consequently, hidden from the audience, their fans. Everything is objectively made for people to know nothing…

The marriages in which particular, peculiar interests exist are marriages in which there is no genuine true love but there is fake true love (simulated true love, false true love). REMEMBER HJ like DF are actor and actress… (if their “couple life” may seem doubtful, simulating true love can be possible)

To ask oneself some questions seem to be normal…people who make their marriage proposal in less four months after the beginning of their relationship are extremely rare, indeed, almost nonexistent.

I am not a teenager, I am forty year old…I am the ceo of a company specialized in communication and in strategies of business growing.

by Anonymousreply 2003/08/2015

REMEMBER: movies, theatre, musical comedies are also businesses.

HJ’s first reward is only due to: •tThe will of reinforcing the links between the UK and one member of the British Commonwealth •tThe working acquaintances, the working relationships of DF.

HJ’s star on the walk of fame is only due to: •tInfluent people like Rupert Murdoch •tThe fact that it is imperative to reinforce some diplomatical links between Australia and the USA •tTo thank DF for having acting in American soap operas.

Even if each one of them (HJ like DF) has lived homosexual experiences (has had homosexual affairs), those affairs are perfectly kept secret, perfectly hidden from their children, their respective family (parents, brothers and sisters, cousins), and consequently, hidden from the audience, their fans. Everything is objectively made for people to know nothing…

The marriages in which particular, peculiar interests exist are marriages in which there is no genuine true love but there is fake true love (simulated true love, false true love). REMEMBER HJ like DF are actor and actress… (if their “couple life” may seem doubtful, simulating true love can be possible)

To ask oneself some questions seem to be normal…people who make their marriage proposal in less four months after the beginning of their relationship are extremely rare, indeed, almost nonexistent.

I am not a teenager, I am forty year old…I am the ceo of a company specialized in communication and in strategies of business growing.

by Anonymousreply 2103/08/2015

I agree, the role should gone to Sarah Brightman

by Anonymousreply 2203/08/2015

Does this sound like Sarah Brightman?

by Anonymousreply 2303/10/2015

How Hugh Jackman started in show biz (to escape his all boys' school).

by Anonymousreply 2403/10/2015

Jackman can sing within a certain range, but much of Valjean's music lies too high for Jackman so he strains. Though honestly, even he sounded better than Crowe. But it doesn't matter in the end as LES MIZ was a commercially successful film.

The problem is that there are just not many movie stars with good enough voices to handle these large-scale quasi-operatic scores (remember Gerard Butler doing PHANTOM?).

by Anonymousreply 2503/10/2015

He's no Howard Keel, that's for sure.

by Anonymousreply 2603/10/2015

Jackman can't sing and can't really dance. He just passes.

He has a lot of pep and personality and the audience wants to suck his dick and fuck him, so it doesn't matter.

by Anonymousreply 2703/10/2015
Need more help? Click Here.