Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I hit a possum this morning while driving to work

Or maybe it was a giant rat. No, I think it was a possum. I feel terrible.

by Anonymousreply 3901/16/2013

I hit a raccoon once. I was coming home about midnight and 3 scampered across the road, in single file.

I saw them no problem. Hit the brakes, but got the last one.

The next morning when I went to work, I saw animal control loading the carcass into a mini body bag and putting into his van.

I felt bad, too, but there was nothing I could have done differently.

by Anonymousreply 101/14/2013

Sorry to hear that, OP.

by Anonymousreply 201/14/2013

I bet the possum feels like roadkill.

by Anonymousreply 301/14/2013

didya stop n picket up? thems make some good eatin, loves me some possum stew.

by Anonymousreply 401/14/2013

I had 4 white pigeons stop in the middle of the road and stare at my car while I was going 35mph.

I tried to brake, honked my horn, but I took them all out - I just saw feathers flying in my rearview mirror.

I felt like total shit, but what the fuck - FLY!! I was nauseous for the whole day.

I think it was a suicide pact.

by Anonymousreply 501/14/2013

When walking, I just have to get a close up look at anything dead in the road.

One time there was a dead possum and when I took a closer look, I saw 3 babies on her back.

Latest roadkill I saw was a 3 foot snake. Caught me by surprise because it wasn't there when I first passed and the head was gone.

I didn't know if the car or a quick bird did that.

by Anonymousreply 601/14/2013

Lord, where the Hell do you all live??? In the sticks?

by Anonymousreply 701/14/2013

Last year in college I flew back to the west coast to see a girlfriend that I hadn't seen in a year. The drive from the airport to her town took another two hours late at night after an already very long day. A mile or two from her home something darted across the highway and I ran it over, a large rubbery bump under the tires... I felt completely sick and horrified. No idea what it was. And then a couple of minutes later I was at her door totally stricken.

by Anonymousreply 801/14/2013

It was a possum, its ugly, gross and weird.. much like many on here, it deserved it.

I would have reversed it, backed over it, and then ran it over again.

by Anonymousreply 901/14/2013

Don't feel too bad. There are plenty more.

by Anonymousreply 1001/14/2013

I sorry r5, but I can't help laughing.

by Anonymousreply 1101/14/2013

R6 I know a lady who stops and checks dead possum pouches for babies in case they are still alive. I had a dog who caught and killed a possum and later I found the babies littered all over the driveway when they fell out.

by Anonymousreply 1201/14/2013

Don't worry, OP, you're unlikely to have killed it and you may not have even injured it.

by Anonymousreply 1301/14/2013

I hit one of these once. Was going at a good clip, tried to brake when I saw it but too late. It gave a good Whump! when I hit its backside with my front left bumper. Thought it was a goner but when I looked in my rear view mirror it was still running across the street...went back to check on it later and saw no sign of a carcass on the roadside so I think it lived.

by Anonymousreply 1401/14/2013

I hit a something late at night and all I saw in a flash was a small white thing. The loud bump/clunk confirmed the worst. I was worried I hit a cat or small dog, so I turned around to check on the animal. As I drove by slowly with my window down, I could see the outline of the animal laying lifeless in a pool of blood. I let out a sad sigh. Then I caught sight of these God-awful pointy teeth and a nasty-ass thick white tail. I've never been happier to rid the planet of one nasty ass mother-f'er.

by Anonymousreply 1501/14/2013

Beth Ditto wants to talk to you. She's hongry for a possum burger!

by Anonymousreply 1701/14/2013

Very few people actually eat 'possums, unless they are really lazy, sorry people who don't have the gumption to hunt and harvest something that is really good to eat, like squirrel or 'coon. It is really greasy stinky meat, but of course, they are everywhere, and it does not take any effort to harvest them if anyone should want to eat such a thing. The Beverly Hillbillies was just meant for fun, but a real hillbilly like myself does not eat 'possum, gopher, armadillo, hawks, buzzards, or varmints in general. I hunt, harvest, and eat wild turkeys, doves, ducks, quail, squirrel, rabbit, 'coon, deer, javelina, and feral hogs. We need a hillbilly anti-defamation league.

by Anonymousreply 1801/14/2013

Roadkill possum goes great with swamp cabbage.

by Anonymousreply 1901/14/2013

[quote]One time there was a dead possum and when I took a closer look, I saw 3 babies on her back.

You should have picked them up and taken them to a wildlife rehab center.

by Anonymousreply 2001/15/2013

By any chance was Granny riding in the back of your truck in a rocking chair?

by Anonymousreply 2101/15/2013

Don't know if they died from impact, heat, or starvation, but they were as dead as mama....

sort of frozen in place.

by Anonymousreply 2201/15/2013

R20, are you under the impression there is some sort of shortage of 'possums? Let me assure you that three baby 'possums will go to good use in providing food for feral cats, and there will still be plenty of living 'possums. They are benign critters, as long as you can keep them out of the chicken yard. They actually do some benefit by killing snakes and rats.

by Anonymousreply 2301/15/2013

Road kill stew goes great with sketti!

by Anonymousreply 2401/15/2013

It probably was one of the Irish ones. They're usually drunk and are the ones who get hit in the road. Properly, they're called O'Possums.

by Anonymousreply 2501/15/2013

Sonuva Bitch, I mean, no kidding, are you guys all living with Honey Boo Boo???? Where are you that you're exposed to such nature???

by Anonymousreply 2601/15/2013

Otters and wolves. Theys my favorites.

by Anonymousreply 2701/15/2013

R26 I live in a very large city and we have coyotes, possums and raccoons all over the place in addition to hawks and other birds of prey flying over head. Where the heck do you live?

by Anonymousreply 2801/15/2013

I've hit a flying bird. I was driving my mother's car shortly after she died and this bird flew in front of the grill and then nosedived. I heard a crunch.

The worse part? I had Annie Lennox' "Medusa" playing on the tape deck.

1998 was a shit year.

by Anonymousreply 2901/15/2013

R25 Maybe O'Possums in Ireland, but they are opossums in the US

by Anonymousreply 3001/15/2013

OP here. I called Animal Control today and told them where it was, so hopefully when I drive back that way tomorrow it will be gone (it was still there this morning). I feel better reading all these responses. Thanks for the laughs.

by Anonymousreply 3101/15/2013

OP, any visits from the opossum's ghost?

by Anonymousreply 3201/16/2013

r18, I think there is a recipe in "The Joy of Cooking" for preparing an opossum for roasting and eating, it involves removing the scent gland near the anus I believe and soaking in a solution of salt and vinegar. I understand the "hillbillies" in Kentucky cook it with yams and/or sweet potatoes. "Tastes just like chicken!"

by Anonymousreply 3301/16/2013

OP, road kill is usually eaten by buzzards and any number of scavenging animals unless the traffic is too heavy to allow them to get to it.

by Anonymousreply 3401/16/2013

My dad had a friend who raised possums. He fed them grains. This guy had grown up dirt poor in the N.GA mountains. They trapped lots of game just to survive.

I guess if you develop a taste for something exotic, and you have the means raise them, why not. I considered moving to S.FL to open a deep fried Burmese Python stand.

I hit a baby squirrel a few months back. It ruined my day.

by Anonymousreply 3501/16/2013

[quote]OP, any visits from the opossum's ghost?

Not yet.

by Anonymousreply 3601/16/2013

r5 is funny. There was a group of pigeons that would not get out of my way this afternoon. I think those bitches have gotten accustomed to cars slamming on their brakes so they wont get smushed.

by Anonymousreply 3701/16/2013

I managed to hit a crow on an interstate heading for the airport. It was sailing low and apparently did an arrogant crow thing and paid the price. But it stick in the grill of my car, right in the middle, wings out like a demonic crucifixion. I found it when I got out of the car, and had my young nephew with me (I was picking up a friend.) Talk about the creeps. I felt like I was marked with a hex like in a movie. My nephew was fascinated but pleaded with me to "Get it off get it off please get it off get it off get it off please get it off." I did, and laid it under a hedge. It stared at me accusingly the whole time with its dead black eyes.

by Anonymousreply 3801/16/2013

[quote] I think there is a recipe in "The Joy of Cooking" for preparing an opossum for roasting and eating,

As of 10 years ago, the Weight Watchers point book had listings for squirrel and opossum. I'm not joking.

by Anonymousreply 3901/16/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!