Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Victor Garber comes out

While everyone is debating the merits of Jodie Foster’s Golden Globes speech, another distinguished performer, albeit one with a lower profile, has quietly confirmed that he’s gay: character actor Victor Garber.

Garber, perhaps best known for Titanic and the TV series Alias, and currently on-screen in Argo, confirmed the information to Greg in Hollywood blogger Greg Hernandez in a recent interview.

In a post published today, Hernandez writes that he met Garber last week at the TV Critics Association Press Tour in Pasadena, Calif. He asked Garber about a Wikipedia entry that said he is partnered with a man, Rainer Andreesen, with whom he lives in New York. “I wondered if that’s something public, that you’ve confirmed,” Hernandez said to Garber.

“He seemed surprised by the question but said: ‘I don’t really talk about it but everybody knows,’” Hernandez writes. “Garber then added: ‘He’s going to be out here with me for the SAG Awards.’”

The Argo ensemble, which includes Garber as Canadian ambassador Ken Taylor, is nominated for a Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture.

Garber also noted to Hernandez that he’s friendly with Argo star and director Ben Affleck and Affleck’s wife, actress Jennifer Garner; he played her father in the espionage drama Alias. He also appeared, uncredited, in Affleck’s film The Town. Of Argo, he told Hernandez, “It’s such a gratification because of my relationship with Ben and Jennifer to see him emerge now as one of the great directors which I’ve always felt since Gone Baby Gone. To be a part of it is like the icing on the cake. It’s incredibly thrilling for me. And the fact that people love the movie so much means the world.”

Garber also currently appears in the TV series Deception, playing corporate executive and family patriarch Robert Bowers. His notable film roles include shipbuilder Thomas Andrews in Titanic and San Francisco mayor George Moscone in Milk. He has appeared frequently on Broadway and has four Tony Award nominations, along with six Emmy nominations for his TV work — including one for a 2004 guest shot on Will & Grace.

by Anonymousreply 12901/30/2013

Garber has been out for many years.

by Anonymousreply 101/14/2013

In other news,

Crickets are chirping.

by Anonymousreply 201/14/2013

Jodie Foster should have responded this way.

by Anonymousreply 301/14/2013

Didn't he have a relationship with Bradley Cooper? I am still waiting for a male A-lister to come out.

by Anonymousreply 401/14/2013

John Goodman is in Argo. Will he finally come out?

by Anonymousreply 501/14/2013

Well if somebody had asked her casually like that maybe she would have.

The catcalling from the bleachers about her perceived "silence" was the only thing I ever heard anywhere about the subject.

by Anonymousreply 601/14/2013

Holy shit his boyfriend is HOT. Surprised Victor bothered cheating with homely Bradley Cooper but maybe they are 'open'.

by Anonymousreply 701/14/2013

My post was meant for R3.

by Anonymousreply 801/14/2013

David Ehrenstein has a crush on Garber....maybe he'll make a move on him now...

by Anonymousreply 901/14/2013

More of his boyfriend. Hot daddy.

by Anonymousreply 1001/14/2013

But he was Jesus! Noooooooo!

just kidding, thought Garber was beautiful in "Godspell" and glad he's still around.

by Anonymousreply 1101/14/2013

He came out in this interview last year: "My companion Rainer Andreesen and I have been together almost 13 years in Greenwich Village. We both love New York.”

by Anonymousreply 1201/14/2013

Hasn't he been out for years?

by Anonymousreply 1301/14/2013

Love Victor and his HUUUUGE COCK.

by Anonymousreply 1501/14/2013

Victor is a dirty, dirty man.

by Anonymousreply 1601/14/2013

And you know that because....? R15?

by Anonymousreply 1701/14/2013

He and his boyfriend make a very handsome couple.

by Anonymousreply 1801/14/2013

Worked with him in GODSPELL, Victor is indeed well endowed.

by Anonymousreply 1901/14/2013

I've been to several sex parties with him. I can vouch for his endowment.

by Anonymousreply 2001/14/2013

His boyfriend is the Gorton's fisherman?

by Anonymousreply 2101/14/2013

Wasn't he always in pictures with Bradley Cooper and Renee Zellwegger, walking 10 feet behind them? I thought that was Bradley's BF and Renee was the beard.

by Anonymousreply 2201/14/2013

R21 cracked me up.

by Anonymousreply 2301/14/2013

"Holy shit his boyfriend is HOT."

Victor gets a lot of hot ass - even as an eldergay.

by Anonymousreply 2401/14/2013

The bf is exactly my type. How the hell does he get such a hot guy?

by Anonymousreply 2501/14/2013

See R15, R19 and R20

by Anonymousreply 2601/14/2013

JOHN GOODMAN IS GAY??????????????????????

by Anonymousreply 2701/14/2013

[quote] Well if somebody had asked her casually like that maybe she would have.

Jodie was given plenty of opportunites like that both in interviews (like the time she was asked about the partnership ring she was wearing) and through being contacted with invitations to contribute to or respond to articles. Also at any time she could have had her people contact any particular person she preferred in the media to suggest with a nod and wink sending over a question to Jodie or setting up some kind of interview that would set her up for a casual coming out at her desired moment.

by Anonymousreply 2801/14/2013

Is Victor a top or bottom?

by Anonymousreply 2901/14/2013

More pics of victor's hot manly lumberjack looking bf

by Anonymousreply 3001/14/2013

r29: Top. And a genuinely nice man.

He truly gets hotter the older he gets.

by Anonymousreply 3101/14/2013

I love him. So hot.

by Anonymousreply 3201/14/2013

"I thought that he was Bradley's BF..."

That's what I thought, too. When they were on "Alibi" together, there was talk here that the two were a couple.

by Anonymousreply 3301/14/2013

For the record...

by Anonymousreply 3401/15/2013

Victor and his bf have had an open relationship for years. When Victor first came to NYC in the 70s, he was a hot slut - fucked Sondheim to get the 2nd lead in SWEENEY TODD on Broadway after doing GODSPELL. Then he met his bf, and the arrangement is when Victor was in NYC, they were a couple (although they didn't live together for a time - I know 'cause that's when I dated Victor, in the early 90s when he still lived on West 72nd Street).

But when Victor was working LA in film & TV, he was given freedom to fool around (incl. with Bradley Cooper when they did ALIAS together). I think they both realized this freedom is what helps their relationship last. And Victor brought Bradley to NYC to meet the bf, and all three of them have a nice little menage from time to time...

by Anonymousreply 3501/15/2013

r35 likes to pretend he knows stuff

by Anonymousreply 3601/15/2013

r36 is Bradley Cooper

by Anonymousreply 3701/15/2013

I saw Victor Garber on the street in the W. Village just last month and he is very good-looking for an older man. Better looking in person, in fact.

by Anonymousreply 3801/15/2013

r35, Is he like Robert Sean Leonard, a theatre lover who does LA TV/movies essentially to pay the bills?

I remember him in Canada and he was always such a great actor.

He could've had a great movie career as a character actor.

Oh, and yes, he's hot.

by Anonymousreply 3901/15/2013

he's got one of those fat uncut Russian cocks, he fucked me at the meat rack a few years ago

by Anonymousreply 4001/15/2013

R35. I like your story and all the juicy details, so I choose to believe it.

by Anonymousreply 4101/15/2013

I wonder if Bradley calls Victor "daddy" when he's getting fucked? Hott!

by Anonymousreply 4201/15/2013

Garber kind of got type cast as a MUSICAl theatre actor and never (like most musical theatre actors of that era) got as many film offers as his dramatic actor Broadway peers did. It really wasn't until Titanic that he got a reputation as a film character actor.

by Anonymousreply 4301/15/2013

Victor Garber is Charles Townsend!!

by Anonymousreply 4401/15/2013

Who was the man at the same table sitting behind Garber at the Golden Globes?

by Anonymousreply 4501/15/2013

don't know r45 but it wouldn't have been a date....cast members for nominated films don't get to bring a guest if they want to sit at the movie's main table. (you only get to bring a date if you are nominated or you sit in the back.) It was probably someone else from the cast.

Even Julia Roberts left her husband home a few years ago so she could sit at table #1.

by Anonymousreply 4601/15/2013

Oh. I didn't know this.

That's excellent he's out - he seems like a nice guy.

by Anonymousreply 4701/15/2013

[quote]he's got one of those fat uncut Russian cocks, he fucked me at the meat rack a few years ago

He's Jewish so most likely cut. So, you're either lying or a fool.

by Anonymousreply 5001/15/2013

Russian-German Jew. Cut.

by Anonymousreply 5101/15/2013

r38: Most definitely agree - he is much better looking in person. For some reason, still-photos tend to flatten his round face a bit.

by Anonymousreply 5201/15/2013

[quote] fucked Sondheim to get the 2nd lead in SWEENEY TODD on Broadway after doing GODSPELL.

More Sondheim sordid sex stories!!!!

by Anonymousreply 5301/15/2013

I don't see the attraction. He's FAT.

by Anonymousreply 5401/15/2013

I thought he was already out? I remember a few years ago here on Datalounge people said he was openly gay? oh well..

by Anonymousreply 5501/15/2013

Never knew he was in.

by Anonymousreply 5601/15/2013

I heard that he and Nathan Lane (yes, Nathan Lane) were lovers at one point. Does anyone know if that's true?

by Anonymousreply 5701/15/2013

r55, he's probably said he's gay before, but he wasn't a big enough star for it to stick in the public's consciousness. I also thought he had already come out.

by Anonymousreply 5801/15/2013

Nathan Lane?! EWWWW!

BTW, Victor Garber is very handsome! Gosh! his boyfriend is gorgeous! when he is saved and doesn't have hair on his face. I think many, many guys look much younger and hoter when they have short hair verses long hair ,and when they are clean shaved.

by Anonymousreply 5901/15/2013

No, I don't think Nathan and he were together.

Victor likes very fit bottoms.

by Anonymousreply 6001/15/2013

the closet is getting so much more spacious

by Anonymousreply 6101/15/2013

He was subletting in the 90s in HK and was walking down W. 47th very happily and we had eye contact...then I crossed over and he froze. So who knows what that was about? Maybe he realized I knew who he was and thought I was a stalker....

by Anonymousreply 6201/15/2013

Mediocre actor and just OK looking. That is all.

by Anonymousreply 6301/15/2013

But Victor and Nathan are bff's.

by Anonymousreply 6401/15/2013

r62 Sounds about right.

by Anonymousreply 6501/15/2013

Tell me more about Brad and Victor and Rainier

by Anonymousreply 6601/15/2013

That's why so many do not want to "come ot." Here old V thought that was all said and done years ago, but when some third string blogger heard him mention his partner, the blooger's pee pee nearly burst as he quickly ran to write up his "scoop."

by Anonymousreply 6701/15/2013

You can tell Bradley completely adores VIctor. Here's a video outtake of the ALias cast Christmas greetings and you can see BRadley tickling VIctor it's so cute

by Anonymousreply 6801/15/2013

[quote]his boyfriend is gorgeous! when he is saved

Come to Jesus & get even better looking!

by Anonymousreply 6901/15/2013

I never would have guessed this man was gay:

by Anonymousreply 7001/15/2013

I'm confused. When does the hate begin for this out, successful man?

by Anonymousreply 7101/15/2013

He's old, and with a relatively low profile. The hate may never really get going.

by Anonymousreply 7201/15/2013

His boyfriend is a friggin hot older man. How old is the bf?

by Anonymousreply 7301/15/2013

"When does the hate begin for this out, successful man?"

Bitter closet cases are jealous of successful, out guys with hot boyfriends.

Some of the guys here remind me of that bitter, Republican closet queen who was cyberstalking the student body president of the University of Michigan.

by Anonymousreply 7401/15/2013

Jodie and Victor live two blocks from each other in the West Village.

by Anonymousreply 7501/15/2013

Bis boyfriend, Rainer Andreesen, is HOT.

by Anonymousreply 7601/15/2013

I wouldn't call a relationship of so many years "dating."

by Anonymousreply 7701/15/2013

You can't "come out" if everyone in your hemisphere already knows you're gay. I waited on him a few times many years ago, and he was a real gentleman, and fine tipper btw.

by Anonymousreply 7801/15/2013

Am I the only one who finds Victor hot? His boyfriend is hotter, but so what?

by Anonymousreply 7901/15/2013

he seems like a mensch but haven't liked any of his roles, especially the t.v. ones with the gross Jennifer Garner...yuk.

by Anonymousreply 8001/15/2013

For you eldergay DL veterans, Victor and Rainer have vacationed with Steve Elzy. VG is in the AC-AC posse but keeps it quiet.

by Anonymousreply 8101/15/2013

Haha I remember him as Reese Witherspoon's professor in Legally Blonde who hits on her.

by Anonymousreply 8201/15/2013

"Back off, Jacko!" as Goldie's ex in "First Wives Club"

by Anonymousreply 8301/15/2013

This is ridiculous. An out gay man who has previously identified himself as gay makes People for "confirming" that he is gay.

by Anonymousreply 8401/15/2013

Nothing gets hits like actors talking about being gay, R84.

by Anonymousreply 8501/15/2013

I first worked with Victor way back in 1976 at the Theatre De Lys in Greenwich Village doing a show called CRACKS. The play was written by Martin Sherman, who later penned the Pulitzer Prize-nominated play BENT. CRACKS closed on opening night. Like so many of the shows I worked on...

I worked with Victor two more times, each about a decade apart. Victor gets nicer and nicer as he ages. He's tall and awkward in a kind of puppy-dog way. And yes, he does have a roving eye, though my impression is that he's discrete. I'm surprised he's moved to the Village, since I still think of him as an upper Westsider.

by Anonymousreply 8601/15/2013

I'm 30 years younger than Victor Garber and I'd let him fuck me. He's hot for a man who's old enough to be my father.

by Anonymousreply 8701/15/2013

Victor refers to his partner as a "companion." A companion is a Home Health Aide who takes little old ladies shopping. A dog is also a companion.

by Anonymousreply 8801/15/2013

Everybody already knows? So did he say he is G.A.Y? If not he is not out.

by Anonymousreply 8901/15/2013

I feel so bad for Victor. The way the media is covering this (why are they covering this?) is imbecilic and humiliating. Although somewhat funny.

LA Times: "Victor Garber's gay, he confirms."

SF Chronicle: "Victor Garber confirms he is gay."

People: "Victor Garber Confirms He's Gay."

E! Online: "Victor Garber Confirms He's Gay, Living With Longtime Partner Rainer Andreesen"

Daily Mail: "Victor Garber confirms he is gay and in longterm relationship with artist Rainer Andreesen"

[bold]WTF??? CONFIRMS HE IS GAY???[/bold] What kind of article is that to write about a person? Don't these people see how dehumanizing it is?

by Anonymousreply 9001/15/2013

Some faghag with a daddy complex has drawn them having sex. Tres charmant.

by Anonymousreply 9201/15/2013

You see that link at R92 and suddenly Jodie's plea for privacy becomes a little more understandable.

Can you imagine the indignity of some fan thing pencil sketching you butt fucking? Bleh.

by Anonymousreply 9301/15/2013

This thread reminds me of one of the "extras" on the "Legally Blonde" dvd. Victor Garber and Holland Taylor are interviewed together about making the movie and Garber goes on about how he "...loved working with Reese Witherspoon". HT is barely able to contain herself when Garber says this (it's all she can do not to guffaw). That moment always made me wonder...

by Anonymousreply 9401/15/2013

Mostly due to ALIAS, Victor has a huge crazyfrau fanbase.

by Anonymousreply 9501/15/2013

He's a bottom.

by Anonymousreply 9601/15/2013

"Mostly due to ALIAS, Victor has a huge crazyfrau fanbase."

Yep. His imdb forum used to be frau/fangurl central. There was this one post where a woman claimed to "know for sure" that he was straight because she heard it from one his relatives. Uh huh.

by Anonymousreply 9701/15/2013

R90.. it's because it's a joke. He has been open for years, yet still feels the need to "come out" like WTF?!?? everyone knew he was gay. There was no need for this.

by Anonymousreply 9801/15/2013

ALIAS was one of those shows that appealed to the no-life frau "crazy cat lady" types. I always feel a little sorry for the actors who acquire those weirdos as fans, through no fault of their own.

by Anonymousreply 9901/15/2013

Did someone say John Goodman was also GAY???

by Anonymousreply 10001/15/2013

Woah his partner is getting famous ..he's now on buzzfeed and they posted 20 stunning pics of him. I think i found my ideal man. DAmn! Why did he hide him for so long?

by Anonymousreply 10101/15/2013

I thought he was Jennifer Garner's father. It's GARBER. Oh well ...

by Anonymousreply 10201/15/2013

So I'm assuming Bradley Cooper is now outed by default?

by Anonymousreply 10301/15/2013

Why would Bradley Cooper be outed by default?

I don't believe R35 but the thought of Bradley Cooper in an Eldergay sandwich makes me smile.

by Anonymousreply 10401/15/2013

gossip on His partner from a comment on Dlisted:

"Weird how this is news, everyone has known forever about Victor and Rainer. Rainer is Canadian, a real sweetheart, used to have kind of a modeling career and a coke habit. Victor is good for him, saved him in a sense, brought him back. Rainer has always had a thing for older guys (and actually looks better without the beard). But seriously, Victor is good for him, they are both good for each other.

Funny how Rainer's life got a whole lot better once he left that drugged up dump called Vancouver. Take note people. ;)"

by Anonymousreply 10501/15/2013

It's so much fun being a public figure!

by Anonymousreply 10601/15/2013

Rainer + redhead = HUGE PENIS and fire in the hole!

Sounds like the ultimate hot fuck!

by Anonymousreply 10701/15/2013

Bradley Cooper is so fucking sexy and.... nice.

I once saw him in the Actors Equity building in New York. I was weeping (because I was like a 22 year old gay boy and I'd just been punched by this crazy regional theatre director and the Stage manager brought me over to the file a complaint and I was crying from the punch and the general humiliation of it all.) He was in that Julia Roberts play at the time. He touched my shoulder and made some comment about show biz is fun isn't it. I didn't really know who he was at the time but I was instantly in love.

by Anonymousreply 10801/15/2013

"Weird how this is news, everyone has known forever about Victor and Rainer."

An anonymous gay man... acting jaded and know-it-allish about the revelation of gay gossip? I can't believe it!

Just what is his defintion of "everyone"?

by Anonymousreply 10901/15/2013

Am I crazy or does Rainer not look like a wrinkled sunburned ginger version of Jon Hamm?

by Anonymousreply 11001/15/2013

Victor was bfs with John Benjamin Hickey in the early 1990s.

by Anonymousreply 11101/15/2013

Garber and Louise Lasser were two of the biggest Hollywoood drug dealers in the 70's, he seemed to come through it unscathed, but who knows where Lasser is.

by Anonymousreply 11201/15/2013

Did Victor Garber replace Jerry Lewis as Mr. Applegate (aka The Devil) in the Broadway production of DAMN YANKEES?

by Anonymousreply 11301/16/2013

Louise Lassar comes from old money. I doubt she was a drug dealer. And why do you assert Garber dealt drugs?

by Anonymousreply 11401/16/2013

boyfriend is the hawtness.

by Anonymousreply 11501/16/2013

r113 No, Jerry Lewis was the one who replaced Victor.

by Anonymousreply 11601/16/2013

[quote]Victor was bfs with John Benjamin Hickey in the early 1990s.

Hickey should have stuck with him.....what is the deal with him and that ugly little troll he dates now? Money?

by Anonymousreply 11701/16/2013

They're an attractive couple. The headlines are good actually, even if they are unnecessary. These gentlemen seem very well composed and it's nice to see an older committed couple whatever their arrangements might be.

by Anonymousreply 11801/16/2013

Coming out in public seems like the same thing as with family. I came out to my mother when I was 19...and then on an annual basis every year after until I was 29 and then just gave up on her. It's like the heteros have selective deafness.

by Anonymousreply 11901/16/2013

well said r119. People always ask when did you come out...I always feel like saying when did I come out or when did people start believing me?

by Anonymousreply 12001/16/2013

didn't someone on here once tell about how he hooked up with Victor and possibly his bf...can't remember all the details but i believe sizemeat was mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 12101/16/2013

Victor and Hickey were more than bfs. They dated.

by Anonymousreply 12201/16/2013

bfs = boyfriends, more than dating.

by Anonymousreply 12301/16/2013

"seem very well composed"

What? Is that code for 'I like them because they're wealthy'?

by Anonymousreply 12401/16/2013

[quote]Why would Bradley Cooper be outed by default?

I assume by the ridiculous reverse-bearding story linking him to Taylor Swift that's just appeared?

I love it when bad hacks at Radar Online write about closet cases blowing off would-be beards in a sort of 'my closet is better than your's' dig.

by Anonymousreply 12501/16/2013

r121: I'm not laughing at you, but rather "I do believe sizemeat was mentioned.". That sounds like something a teacup-holding-pinky-out Edna May Oliver would say.

by Anonymousreply 12601/16/2013

Here's the BI about Victor Garber and Bradley Cooper hooking up at Alias set.

I found this from May 2007: Bradley Cooper split from his wife Jennifer Esposito according to The two had only been married for 4 months. One unsurprised onlooker says, ”Bradley Cooper is gay. He was gay all through college and he’s gay now. He had no business marrying a woman. I’m truly shocked he went through with the farce.”

When Bradley was on the ABC show ‘Alias’, there were rumors that he and co-star Victor Garber were much more than co-stars. had a very naughty blind item about the sexy twosome: 'Could it be that the end of a romance also means the end of a job for that hunky heartthrob? So say my undercover spies at the soupy network, who tell me that the affair between the scruffy scamp and the song-and-dance man came to an abrupt end when the smooth operator’s spousal-equivalent found evidence of this illicit match. Since someone had to go, the bedazzled boy was out the door before he could say “Au revoir.” But that door is not quite locked – we’re told that the older gent holds the key. Look for the tyke to make the occasional return in a reduced capacity – both professionally and personally. Sometimes you gotta stop fiddling around.'

Back then, a television adaptation of "Fiddler on the Roof" was in development with ABC, to star, you guessed it, Victor Garber!

by Anonymousreply 12701/16/2013

In one interview, he answered,

"I'm over 60, never married, and do musical theatre — connect the dots."

Isn't that coming out enough?

by Anonymousreply 12801/30/2013

^ Wasn't it Nathan Lane who said that?

by Anonymousreply 12901/30/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!