Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Homeland Security says to disable your Java script.

Well, that sounds sort of serious.

Macs are included in ths warning...

Does anyone know if iPads and iPhones have Java too?

by Anonymousreply 2801/16/2013

No, not hoaxy. JAVA has been having security vulnerabilities since they released version 7.

by Anonymousreply 201/14/2013

NOT javascript. Java. Different things.

by Anonymousreply 301/14/2013

What exactly does Java do? What things won't run when I disable it?

by Anonymousreply 401/14/2013

[quote]What things won't run when I disable it?

There is very little JAVA on websites these days. You will not miss it.

by Anonymousreply 501/14/2013

No, not a hoax. I've had mine disabled since last week. However, it should be clarified that it's your Java browser plug-in that needs disabling, not your Java "script." Javascript is something websites use and this is not affected.

Oracle issued a patch this weekend, but the pros still feel it's not safe enough yet, that disabling or uninstalling is still the best option. Also, it affects all operating systems, Mac and Linux are not immune.

by Anonymousreply 601/14/2013

I don't know what this stuff means!!

by Anonymousreply 701/14/2013

So please tell us how to disable the correct Java thingie.

Will I still be able to play Buzz's Words and Gems Swap Christmas Edition? What about playing Lexulous? I gots to have my games.

TIA

by Anonymousreply 801/14/2013

Here you go R8:

[bold] How do I disable Java in my web browser? [/bold]

by Anonymousreply 901/14/2013

Java has nothing do with JavaScript.

You shouldn't even have it installed (it's not required for much any more)

If you do have it installed, you should disabled it entirely. Or uninstall it.

by Anonymousreply 1001/14/2013

One of the few things out there that still employ the use Java applets are games, so I would advise against playing them for the time being. It would certainly be an area ripe for exploitation by the malicious code droppers for that very reason.

by Anonymousreply 1101/14/2013

Thanks, R9. I'm not quite sure if I have it enabled or not. My computer control panel isn't showing an exact copy of the picture shown in the instructions. I.e., in my Java Control Panel security section there is nothing there. In the advanced section it's a bit confusing.

I'll google it some more. Appreciate your help.

by Anonymousreply 1201/14/2013

Would it be on an iPhone?

by Anonymousreply 1301/14/2013

I freaked and ran up to the pc, it was automatically disabled by firefox. Nice to know someone knows what they're doing.

by Anonymousreply 1401/15/2013

R12, sounds like you should either uninstall it, or update it to the latest version.

by Anonymousreply 1501/15/2013

[quote]or update it to the latest version.

Or go the opposite route--version 6 doesn't have the problem and it's still available.

by Anonymousreply 1601/15/2013

I don't know nuthin' about Java, but my Adobe Flash crashes about once an hour and it drives me crazy.

by Anonymousreply 1701/15/2013

The only Java apps I have in my control panel are "Java2 Runtime environment" and "Java(TM)6 Update 26. Am I going to die???? seriously I'm a computer idiot and have no idea what the fuck a runtime environment is.

by Anonymousreply 1801/15/2013

Now I am confused. Why would I update it if I want to disable it? Is that the only way to disable it? What if the gremlins sneak in after I update and before I can disable?

Why is life so hard? Why why why?

by Anonymousreply 1901/15/2013

I uninstalled java from the damned computer!!!

by Anonymousreply 2001/15/2013

Is there something similar to a contra panel uninstall/disable on a mac or do I have to disable individually in each browser?

by Anonymousreply 2101/15/2013

I hear you (R17)!

I know it has to do with Google Chrome and I've tried to fix it multiple times. But it crashes anyway. Drives me bananas. I'm probably going to stop using Chrome, even though I like it.

by Anonymousreply 2201/15/2013

Most people who have Java installed don't even need it. I recently upgraded to Windows 8 and didn't reinstall Java and after a few months haven't had one issue.

by Anonymousreply 2301/15/2013

[quote]Is there something similar to a contra panel uninstall/disable on a mac or do I have to disable individually in each browser?

Mountain Lion doesn't come with Java installed. If you've installed it yourself, or if you're on Lion, Snow Leopard, etc., you can either disable it in your browser preferences or disable it system-wide.

by Anonymousreply 2401/15/2013

So Java 6 is okay?

by Anonymousreply 2501/16/2013

What could happen if I don't? Is a terrorist going to blow up my house via my computer?

by Anonymousreply 2601/16/2013

The terrorist will steal all of your money out of the bank.

by Anonymousreply 2701/16/2013

Java, JavaScript, Cup o' Joe. I'm so confused!

by Anonymousreply 2801/16/2013
Need more help? Click Here.