Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I need a new mattress, and I need advice.

20 year old spring mattress. Yes it sagged at year 10, but did you know that if you put old, spare pillows under the middle of a 10 year old sagging mattress, you can get another 10 years out of it? My Jewish grandmother told me that and she was right. Now the questions.

I've had those 2" and 4" memory foam mattress overlays on various mattresses in the house. They are comfortable in the beginning, but over time that memory foam starts to get something close to hard. That, plus everyone has a problem with "warm fanny" with that stuff because it does not dissipate body heat very well and ultimately becomes unenjoyable.

Are pillow tops any good or is that bullshit? Does anyone have first hand knowledge of the bed that you blow up and gives you a number? I forget the name. I had heard that with a Queen or King, there is a relatively hard panel down the middle. Any ideas on this? Thank you.

by My back hurtsreply 3301/16/2013

Sterns and Foster. $$$ but amazing. I went to Sleepy's and was pleasantly surprised

by My back hurtsreply 101/14/2013

I've tried the Sleep Number beds and they're okay.. but frankly, everyone's different and I don't think any advice here is going to help you.

I'd advise that you go in and try a sleep number bed.. even better, if you're capable, go stay at a hotel that has one of them and sleep on one.

I'd also recommend going to a Sit n Sleep, or something like it, who have those beds that you can lie on and they'll measure your pressure points, etc and determine the best type of mattress for you.

by My back hurtsreply 201/14/2013

Memory foam isn't so good, you won't be using it for twenty years.

by My back hurtsreply 301/14/2013

LOVE my pillowtop. I haven't slept so well since I got it. Been going for 10 years.

The sleep number was too much work. When I go to bed, it's time to stop fucking with electronics.

by My back hurtsreply 401/14/2013

I got a latex mattress from Amazon a few months ago and really like it, very comfortable. Cheap too...the king was 699.00. Called Ultimate Dream. Don't know how long it will last but at that price it doesn't have to last forever.

by My back hurtsreply 501/15/2013

Someone once posted here that Costco's house brand is Sterns and Foster.

by My back hurtsreply 601/15/2013

more please. are futons terrible?

by My back hurtsreply 701/15/2013

Yes, futons are lousy. Express ticket to a bad back!

I saved up and bought a $1600 queen set from Sleepy's. Six years later it is still in very good shape, no noticeable sagging. Best investment I ever made. We spend a third of our lives in bed.

The important thing, when mattress shopping, is to consult with knowledgeable person about the way you sleep, your body type/age, and what you really need. A lot of people don't know. For example this idea that a firm mattress is good and a soft one is bad. If you are a side sleeper, that is awful advice -- your down-facing shoulder needs a resting place.

by My back hurtsreply 801/15/2013

mattress giant

by My back hurtsreply 901/15/2013

It's better to buy a new mattress than a used one. If you do buy a used one, at least replace the sheets with new ones of your own.

by My back hurtsreply 1001/15/2013

Futons are not good for long-term use.

by My back hurtsreply 1101/15/2013

saw a free one down on Hollywood & vine, looks though to have some blood and shit stains

by My back hurtsreply 1201/15/2013

Thank you all!

by My back hurtsreply 1301/15/2013

R7, Futons are only good for kids going to college, not for adults leading an adult life.

by My back hurtsreply 1401/15/2013

100% natural latex mattress is the only way to go, preferably encased in organic wool. Avoid memory foam at all costs--it's a block of toxic chemicals that never stops outgassing.

by My back hurtsreply 1501/15/2013

Who'd even CONSIDER a used mattress? Hello, bedbugs anyone?

by My back hurtsreply 1601/15/2013

re: Sleep Number beds...we had one where each side was adjustable via an air pump, which is great if there's always two sleeping in bed. However, one side developed an air leak, making it impossible to sleep on the damned thing after we broke up. It always felt like I was sleeping in a gutter or something, since one side of the mattress was lower than the other.

by My back hurtsreply 1701/15/2013

Gwyneth at R15 what kind of money we talking about? Why are futons considered for 20somethings only? I kind of like sleeping on them as a guest, but afraid to buy one. I'm 39.

by My back hurtsreply 1801/15/2013

Brandi Granville.

by My back hurtsreply 1901/15/2013

the Stearns and Foster at Costco is a dream of a mattress. It costs 40% more than their Serta, but the difference in comfort is much greater. Got my queen sized for a grand and have never regretted it. That included the box spring too.

by My back hurtsreply 2001/15/2013

If you are going to get another spring mattress, find one that has a barrier between the actual padding/stuffing and the springs. This is actually the reason for the majority of sagging mattresses. Coil count is another thing to consider, the higher the count the better.

Also, take your shoes off and lie fully on the mattress as if you were actually going to bed. With even your feet hanging off, you really have no idea of what the mattress feels like. Well, unless you sleep with your feet hanging off the bed.

by My back hurtsreply 2101/15/2013

R15 where'd you buy your latex mattress? I too am looking at mattresses now and have found that the latex ones are hard to find. I use latex pillows and love them.

by My back hurtsreply 2201/15/2013

Is it true NOT to buy Pillow top because you can't flip the mattress - or is that Hooey?

How about buying the Hotel Branded beds like the westin Heavenly bed?

Has anyone bought the mattress from costco? (in store or internet?)

by My back hurtsreply 2301/15/2013

[quote]I got a latex mattress from Amazon a few months ago and really like it, very comfortable. Cheap too...the king was 699.00. Called Ultimate Dream. Don't know how long it will last but at that price it doesn't have to last forever.

Damn, I wish I had known about it. Just two months ago I bought a high resilience foam mattress, because I like my mattresses rock hard. I use a natural wool topper for softness and temperature regulation. However, it took weeks for the foam smell to disappear and now I wonder if I should switch to latex and try to sell the foam mattress I have.

by My back hurtsreply 2401/15/2013

A useful article from SLATE:

{quote] Going to the Mattresses

[quote] How to cut through the marketing gimmicks of Sealy, Serta, and the rest.

[quote] By Seth Stevenson

[quote] Here's a fun game I play. First, I walk into a mattress store and ask what's on sale. Then, I throw my hands in the air and shout along with the salesman, "EVERYTHING'S ON SALE!!!!" Oh how we laugh, the salesman and I. And while he's still chuckling, I turn around and walk out, because I fricking hate mattress salesmen.

by My back hurtsreply 2501/15/2013

I bought a keetsa for 4800 two years ago and have not had a bad night's sleep since then!

It's foam and mattress in one, like a muffin.

It comes rolled up and squeezed into a box, then inflates when you pop the plastic bag.

Heavy, and un-turnable, but i have had no complaints. It's also "green" and hypoallergenic, or whatever; no toxic factory fumes or chemicals. also comes with an anti-bug zip bag.

by My back hurtsreply 2601/15/2013

Chattam & Wells

by My back hurtsreply 2701/15/2013

r23, Yes it is true, you cannot flip a pillow top mattress. The "pillow" part is only on one side.

An additional problem with pillow top is that, no matter what the sales person tells you, it can be difficult to find sheets that fit properly.

That being said, I've had one for almost 10 years now. It has held up beautifully, and I still love it.

In general, when buying a mattress, never buy anything you haven't tested first, even if just for a few minutes.

Never, EVER, pay full price for a mattress. If the one you like is not on sale this week, it will be on sale within the next few weeks. In fact, retailers don't really expect to sell more than one or two (to suckers) at full price.

by My back hurtsreply 2801/15/2013

$800, not 4800.

by My back hurtsreply 2901/15/2013

Thanks r9, reminded me of my time living in Florida!!

Go for the Hastens! Worth every nickel. My achey back is cured!!

by My back hurtsreply 3001/15/2013

I get a new mattress ever night on Grindr.

by My back hurtsreply 3101/15/2013

I bought a Motasukiyakimoto mat, ran me 8500.00, and I still feel like I'm sleeping on the floor.

by My back hurtsreply 3201/15/2013

Something called "Original Mattress Factory" is one of the highest rated on Consumer Reports. And affordable too.

The only problem is they only seem to be in the eastern US.

by My back hurtsreply 3301/16/2013
Need more help? Click Here.