Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Jodie Foster... the poll

So Jodie said something last night, apparently subject to mass interpretation, because she did not include in her remarks the statement 'I am gay' or 'I am a lesbian.'

That not being said...

by Anonymousreply 5801/15/2013

I think it's interesting that many of the gay commenters with a platform who are critical of her remarks (Musto, Harvey) are so long in the tooth.

I don't even know if there are any gays with a platform under forty. I guess so, on Twitter?

by Anonymousreply 101/14/2013

Nope. She just couldn't bring herself to say 3 little words: I am gay, or I am lesbian.

What's this about? Fear? Anger? If you're gonna come out, do it like you mean it.

by Anonymousreply 201/14/2013

I didnt watch the show, but, according to news coverage, what the woman said was that she had already "come out" a thousand years ago. Maybe she "came out" to Shirley Maclaine in one of their past lives.

by Anonymousreply 301/14/2013

What she said was she came out the people in her personal and working life, but she didn't come out through media.

by Anonymousreply 401/14/2013

Obviously Foster is a Catholic woman ( loyal to Gibson) who frames her thoughts in a softer, more decorative manner.

What the gays are all looking for: an obvious, over-used, cliched "I am gay" statement is pure Protestantism--dry, uniform, and standardized.

by Anonymousreply 501/14/2013

What she basically said was that she came out to the people she cares (or cared) about.

... What, she didn't come out to you? Guess now you know that you aren't as close to her as you thought.

by Anonymousreply 601/14/2013

And r6 sums it up.

by Anonymousreply 701/14/2013

JF said she came out to the important people in her life years ago and then told the viewing public to fuck off.....after doing tons of blow with RDJ in the loo.

by Anonymousreply 801/14/2013

Okay, I get it. She has been in the public eye since childhood, and needed to do this in a private, personal way. However, if you're gonna come out, go ahead and say it. Her "coming out" to the public was lame, to say the least.

She sounded resentful about coming out and about the loss of privacy. Well, she is in a very public forum, one that exists for publicity, which shouldn't surprise anyone since she is a movie star. Why the bitterness about loss of privacy?

by Anonymousreply 901/14/2013

[quote]I think it's interesting that many of the gay commenters with a platform who are critical of her remarks (Musto, Harvey) are so long in the tooth.

They are Jodie's age you mean?

by Anonymousreply 1001/14/2013

She was telling everyone that one day people will look back and realize the privacy we have lost and how nice it was.

Another thing she was saying, how the medias version (and gay bloggers apperently) have decided how a person must behave (and come out) as a celebrity. She explains that she is not like that and never will be. She doesn't believe in overexposing yourself and giving yourself up for your viewing and critical entertainment.

Better?

by Anonymousreply 1101/14/2013

[quote]She doesn't believe in overexposing yourself and giving yourself up for your viewing and critical entertainment.

And yet there she was on national tv sitting next to nazi Mel waiting to receive an award from a bunch of foreign dry cleaners and florists pretending to be the "press".

Meh. Not impressed with her self-importance and self-loathing.

by Anonymousreply 1201/14/2013

On one hand, the run around speech made it sound like something negative that she was ashamed of.

On the other hand, if she said "I'm gay" tonight, I wouldn't know more than I did last night.

by Anonymousreply 1301/14/2013

Living in the public eye is difficult, especially when it starts at an early age. Just imagine that average DL guy. I am in the public eye in my local community and i have not come out there, but i just moved 25 miles away and i am totally out there. There is some crossover but not much. It is very difficult to say the least. I applaud her as she has been 'out' for years. Hell I'm bi leaning more to gay now and I always said i'd love to be with her. She is a beautiful sexy woman. She did come out in the speech especially when she mentioned her 'expartner.' so i don't need the words gay or lesbian to still think she's fantastic. And she was true to who she is. I'll always be a fan

by Anonymousreply 1501/14/2013

And what r12? Should she have blown off a Lifetime award? You expect her never to show up to do her job? You are ridiculous. There is a line between being a famewhore and doing your job. When was the last time you saw her? Bet you saw other celebrities 100x more then her. What a weak argument. Keep trying.

by Anonymousreply 1601/14/2013

I don't want to believe that The Streep Troll also likes astrology. To my mind, those two do not align.

by Anonymousreply 1801/14/2013

hump

by Anonymousreply 2001/15/2013

Jodie Foster's supposed 'coming out' was lame. No one was pressuring her to do what she did on national television. She chose to give that elusive, double talk speech.

If you're going to come out on television, then you need to come out. You don't have to be obnoxious about it, but you need to say what you mean. You can't just choose the most public of public forums, and then say, "Oh I already came out a thousand years ago, but let me stand here and try to make you guess what I'm trying to say."

Jodie could have just graciously accpeted her award, talked about her career and thanked the important people in her life. She didn't do that. She chose to confuse people, be ashamed of what she was saying and then expected the audience not to have an opinion about her rambling rant delivered with a smile.

Some of Foster's speech was fine. But the 'coming out' part was awkward and lame. And another thing, did she announce her retirement? Who knows? That part of her speech was lame and elusive too.

by Anonymousreply 2101/15/2013

Unless she says, "I AM GAY" it means nothing, because there will never a definite answer.

Like OJ killing those people. He can write a book saying "If I did it," which pretty much admits it, but unless he says he did it, there's always a doubt.

Like Michael Jackson, we all know he's a pervert and a weirdo, but since his death no one will believe he did anything wrong.

Unless Foster says, "I'm a gay," she can always double back and deny it.

by Anonymousreply 2201/15/2013

[quote] waiting to receive an award from a bunch of foreign dry cleaners and florists pretending to be the "press".

LOL!

[quote]Like Michael Jackson, we all know he's a pervert and a weirdo,

No, "we" don't all know it.

by Anonymousreply 2301/15/2013

R23. You don't know what about Michael Jackson? Have you just emerged from a cave?

by Anonymousreply 2401/15/2013

"Unless she says, "I AM GAY" it means nothing, because there will never a definite answer."

There. Are. FOUR. Lights!!

by Anonymousreply 2501/15/2013

I say yes, This is her official coming out— not because of what she said but because the media was given the go ahead to treat it as such.

Several years ago when she thanked her partner- it was kind of ignored by the mainstream press. This one seemed to be expected and glorified as a 'coming out.'

by Anonymousreply 2601/15/2013

I don't think he's guilty of anything R24.

by Anonymousreply 2701/15/2013

Last night she "came out" to those who already knew she was out. As for the unwashed masses who didn't already know, I'm sure plenty of them still don't know, simply because she didn't explicitly state, "I am gay." They probably have no idea what the fuck she was rambling about.

by Anonymousreply 2801/15/2013

R28. Rambling. You got that right.

by Anonymousreply 2901/15/2013

[quote]Unless she says, "I AM GAY" it means nothing, because there will never a definite answer.

I don't think she was ambiguous at all. She did use the words "come out," which alludes to stepping out of the proverbial closet. She said she already came out to her family, friends, and colleagues long ago. Last year, Matt Bomer came out in a similar way. He didn't say "Yep, I'm gay," but he acknowledged his partner and his/their children in a thank you speech. Some people just want thinks spelled out for them, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 3001/15/2013

I met Jodie the night she won her Academy Award for "Silence of the Lambs." I prefer to focus on her career in cinema, rather than poke into her personal life. Jodie Foster doesn't owe anyone a public explanation. The gay community needs to stop expecting its "gay" self worth to be validated by celebrity. The gall of the LGBT hierarchy to expect a "coming out" that only meets their criteria is arrogant and bitter.

by Anonymousreply 3101/15/2013

Wrong, r31. When the almighty icons come out, things really change. They may not have started the path, but they make it far easier for small-minded people and homomphobes to realize that yes, a masculine star can be gay, your sports heros can be gay. So, yes, it is better for our gods, our icons to come out.

With JF, I get it. She's lived in the public eye since young childhood. She wants her privacy. Well, then why are you at an event designed for publicity to make this announcement regarding your sexuality? She CHOOSE to be there, she could have stayed home. It's not like she is hurting for $$$. It was a very lame statement, too, considering she didn't actually say she was gay. WTF?

by Anonymousreply 3201/15/2013

Rather than cowardice, I'd like to think that she didn't go the sensational "YEP!! I'M GAY!" route to make it a bit subdued and in line with a professional award she's receiving. Doing so would've overshadowed the rest of what she wanted to say.

by Anonymousreply 3301/15/2013

r17, is that you, Shirley?

by Anonymousreply 3401/15/2013

[quote]the sensational "YEP!! I'M GAY!" route to make it

that was in 1997 r33...come into the present.

by Anonymousreply 3501/15/2013

r32

The issue is the false expectation that public people must be hurled into the fire to further the common good. That's a lot to expect of any human being. Especially if they don't want to be in that role. I abhor the "hunting" mentality of the gay elitists who have anointed themselves the clergy of the community.

And Jodie couldn't have stayed home. She was the primary honoree. And a highly respected colleague in the film industry.

I proudly gloat that Jodie purposefully chose not to follow the "gay coming out script." She did it in her own way and on her terms.

Bravo!

by Anonymousreply 3601/15/2013

[quote]And Jodie couldn't have stayed home. She was the primary honoree

please....those GG honorary awards are negotiated by press representatives...if she didn't want the award or had a commitment this year or felt she was too young her "people" would have turned the award down and nobody would have been the wiser. She was there because she wanted to be.

by Anonymousreply 3701/15/2013

I have less respect for her than if she never brought it up at all. She couldn't bring herself to say 3 words: "I am gay". As for the publicity/privacy bit, sorry, she is a public figure,at a publicized event. Why the expectation of privacy? And, with all her bucks, she doesn't need to worry about if she will have a roof over her head if she does lose work or appears to snub people. If she REALLY wanted privacy, she could have 1) kept her "coming out" to herself and/or 2) stayed home.

by Anonymousreply 3801/15/2013

I'm not sure any of us will really understand Jodie Fosters need for privacy until someone tries to kill the President to get our attention. Let's hope that never happens.

Cut her some slack.

by Anonymousreply 3901/15/2013

On the back page was another story about John Hinkley who reportedly said, "I WENT TO JAIL FOR LIFE, TO IMPRESS A LESBO?????"

by Anonymousreply 4001/15/2013

r35, lol, I know, but those ARE the three words a lot of complainers wanted to hear.

by Anonymousreply 4201/15/2013

How retarded are people? She said Cydney was her partner - what doubt was there in her speech? It wasn't a 'coming out' speech; it was a 'are you headless?' speech. Are people so dense they need her to spell it out? Draw diagrams for them? Seriously, not everyone needs to come out on the cover of 'People'.

by Anonymousreply 4301/15/2013

Why did she need to spell it out and say the word "gay" or "lesbian"? She thanked her ex-partner in love who - as everybody knows - is a woman ! If a straight actor thanks his female partner, does he have to spell it out he is hetero??

by Anonymousreply 4401/15/2013

She wrongly conflates personal privacy with being proud about her identity.

She has been fairly public with her personal life (at least for many years -- partner, children), but unwilling to identify publicly as gay or lesbian. Then she complains about not being able to be private.

When Anderson Cooper finally came out, he got it right (right for the formulation that Jodie has been trying to claim). He is public and proud about his identify as gay, but tries to keep his specific personal life private.

She is a mixed up mess. And didn't Mel look horrified by that speech?

by Anonymousreply 4501/15/2013

She gave a drunken lady speech where even she had no clue what she was saying. Now we have all her fawning fans all over the internet proclaiming her eloquence. A whole bunch of nonsense.

It doesn't matter if she came out or not now because the Press has declared it so. Now I see pictures of her ex Cydney all over the internet. That's what Jodie Foster gets for pleading for privacy at the most public forum site filled with the gossipy American and foreign press.

I heard she was smart, but now I'm thinking she's like most other celebs. What a maroon!

by Anonymousreply 4601/15/2013

The audience including Mel were very moved, nothing fake about that. Hate on you mother fuckers.

by Anonymousreply 4701/15/2013

[quote]You dick heads are ridiculous. Jody overwhelmed that audience and spoke from her heart. She and the audience were obviously moved. You sick fucks need to get a life

I agree, Jodie coming out in front of millions of viewers took courage.

by Anonymousreply 4801/15/2013

I think it was agood coming out. And she was nervous, you could tell that. She didn't have to say I'm gay but if you have just one brain cell that works you KNOW what she did was simply saying she's gay, she's always been gay and people around her knew that.

by Anonymousreply 4901/15/2013

Coming out at the end of your career, when you've already got your millions, when you know as a woman of 50 that you're no longer in contention for romantic lead parts and will be playing someone's mother and grandmother is not remotely courageous. She's come out after she's gotten all her accolades and awards out of the way. Coming out 20 or 10 years ago would have meant something. Now, not so much.

by Anonymousreply 5001/15/2013

R46 She went to Yale. The Maroons are at the University of Chicago.

by Anonymousreply 5101/15/2013

I'm with R45. I guess there won't be an 'It Gets Better' vid.

by Anonymousreply 5201/15/2013

I am out to the people I know me when I introduce them to my same-sex partner. Few would disagree with that.

Therefore, why shouldn't a celebrity who publicly acknowledges his or her same sex partner or ex partner be considered publicly out.

by Anonymousreply 5301/15/2013

I don't think she had to give her sexuality a name, but saying that she is 'single'? WTF? It was a very cold and manufactured speech. If she was mocking a euphemism for a gay female, it was too obscure and her delivery was flat.

by Anonymousreply 5401/15/2013

[quote]when you know as a woman of 50 that you're no longer in contention for romantic lead parts

How many of those has she had though? She's never really sold herself as a romantic leading actress. When she tried to it usually flopped (Maverick is the only exception I can think of).

by Anonymousreply 5501/15/2013

If Foster isn't out, then neither is Matt Bomer.

by Anonymousreply 5601/15/2013

[quote]I don't think she had to give her sexuality a name, but saying that she is 'single'? WTF? It was a very cold and manufactured speech. If she was mocking a euphemism for a gay female, it was too obscure and her delivery was flat.

It was NOT cold or flat! Jodie was speaking as intelligently and clear as she possibly could. And, very emotionally.

by Anonymousreply 5701/15/2013

[quote]It was NOT cold or flat!

Taffy Davenport

by Anonymousreply 5801/15/2013
Need more help? Click Here.