Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Nanny & The Professor (1970-71)

I got hold of a copy of a few episodes.

It's actually very charming and warm hearted.

Kim Richards was adorable, so was the nanny, with her very sweet English accent.

The father was sexy and handsome.

Is it ever run any more in the USA?

So many of these old kids shows are awful to see many years later. This does not fall into that category.

Didn't one of the boys commit suicide?

by Anonymousreply 7002/23/2013

Friday nights were the best!

Brady Bunch Nanny and the Professor Partridge Family

Don't remember much about Nanny and the Professor - guess the Brady Bunch and Partridge Family were more colorful.

by Anonymousreply 101/14/2013

Sadly the actor who played the younger son hanged himself in the playground of his old highschool. Being another Eldergay, I also have fond memories of this show. Richard Long (the father) had been starring with Babs Stanwyck in the Big Valley - bit of change from Juliet Mills as Nanny !!

by Anonymousreply 201/14/2013

Was this show another candidate for the Dead Mommies Club?

by Anonymousreply 301/14/2013

Every 60s show seemed to belong to The dead Mommies Club.

Next, Dead Daddies.

by Anonymousreply 401/14/2013

My God, I had forgotten about this dreck. I had repressed memories of this one since high school. What a shiteous show. It was as bad as The Brady Bunch and Partidge Family for banality. Horrid tripe!

by Anonymousreply 501/14/2013

Didn't the Nanny, Phoebe Figililly, have magical powers?

by Anonymousreply 601/14/2013

It was a rather clever takeoff on Bewitched with a bit of the Bradys thrown in. I hated it when they moved it to Mondays. It was pre-empted for Monday Night Football all the time. It ran until 1972 not 71. I have no doubt that the Professor and Nanny would have got married if the show ran a couple more years. This show is absolutely a brilliant masterpiece compared to the shit that passes for a network sitcom today!

by Anonymousreply 701/14/2013

(R5) I don't think the target audience were High School students - a bit old. Shame you had repressed memories and were forced to watch it. Certainly not Seinfeld or 30 Rock! It was a gentle take-off of Mary Poppins. Had a surprising number of older actor guest stars e.g. Elsa Lanchester, Ida Lupino, John Mills etc Not to everybody's taste, but harmless and loved by some.

by Anonymousreply 901/14/2013

Richard Long was hot. He had the greatest voice.

by Anonymousreply 1001/14/2013

Not a great show, but my how I had a crush on Richard Long. Such a handsome man. it did have a great theme song. So 70s!

by Anonymousreply 1101/14/2013

It's rerun on either MeTV or ANTENNA TV on your cable channel.

by Anonymousreply 1201/15/2013

As soon as I saw my first episode of Real Housewives of Beverly Hills, I immediately recognized "Prudence" (Kim Richards).

To the person posting that "Nanny" was on Friday nights, I don't remember it being in the lineup. That Friday night lineup was classic:

Brady Bunch Partridge Family Room 222 The Odd Couple Love American Style

by Anonymousreply 1301/15/2013

I remember it - I was more a fan of the Brady Bunch and Partridge Family, but I liked Nanny and loved the theme song.

by Anonymousreply 1401/15/2013

It was quite the scandale at the time when "Nanny" Juliet Mills married much younger (18 years) and HOT HOT HOT Maxwell Caulfield.

They've now been married for over 20 years.

Juliet turned up last week on "Hot in Cleveland" as Jane Leeves' Mum, looking good for a woman over 70...

by Anonymousreply 1601/15/2013

I forgot all about that one. Kind of fell in with other shows like that back then.

Anyone remember The Ghost & Mrs Muir? I always wanted the about daddy image, I was like 5 years old.

by Anonymousreply 1701/15/2013

The "kid" was Trent Lehman, and he killed himself when he was only 20.

by Anonymousreply 1801/15/2013

I was talking with a friend today about this thread and he said the reason ABC dropped the show like a hot potato was because Juliet Mills appeared nude in the film Avanti. I don't see why they would care, it would bring more publicity to the show.......or they could have hired Joan Collins(!), Suzy Kendall or Judy Geeson as a replacement "Nanny". That oldest son also looked like he would have been quite hunky!

by Anonymousreply 1901/15/2013

Costume Malfunctions were over the line back then. Wait, what am I saying? They hadn't been invented!

by Anonymousreply 2001/15/2013

Richard Long, who played the professor, died on Dec. 21, 1974 only four days after turning 47. He suffered multiple heart attacks.

This show had only 54 episodes which meant that it got played out rather quickly in syndication.

by Anonymousreply 2101/15/2013

There are 36 of the episodes on Hulu for free kids!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 2201/15/2013

Had a crush on David Doremus back in the day. He played the oldest son.

by Anonymousreply 2301/15/2013

Here's another vote for the theme song. Still sounds good.

The Ghost & Mrs Muir has held up less well.

by Anonymousreply 2401/15/2013

Wide and ethnic and poor and wonderful

Is a mystical magical Manny...

Since the day that Manny came to stay with us

Such ethnic things keep happening

Is there really Judaism in what he does

Or is love the only magic thing, that Manny brings

You know our Manny told us, plant a tree in Israel

Manny showed us, how to steal land from Palestinians.

Maury Goldstein is such an ethnic name

And so many Jewish things keep happening

What is this magic thing about Manny

Is it love, or is it Judaism?????/

by Anonymousreply 2601/15/2013

R25, I was 10 years old.

by Anonymousreply 2701/15/2013

This show would make a great remake -and they could have Juliet Mills make guest appearances.

by Anonymousreply 2801/15/2013

The FCC will not allow the show to be seen because Phoebe Figalily is a silly name.

by Anonymousreply 2901/15/2013

I remember seeing Tranny & the Professor among the titles in a gaytlv catalog.

by Anonymousreply 3001/15/2013

[quote]I vaguely remember it being on Wednesday nights paired with either Eddie's Father or The Ghost and Mrs. Muir.

Me too. I just looked it up. It premiered January 21 1970 which is a Wednesday. Season 2 was Friday.

by Anonymousreply 3101/15/2013

R5 wins.

by Anonymousreply 3201/15/2013

I'm trying to remember a show from the late 60s-early70s.

The intro featured a blonde British actress dressed as Sherlock Holmes and featured her magnifying glass.

I was never allowed to watch it, but I loved her apartment.

by Anonymousreply 3301/15/2013

I wonder how "Long" his "Richard" was.

by Anonymousreply 3401/15/2013

I have only one memory of this show that stands out: One of the other characters had addressed Prudence by name which prompted my mother to say, "Prudence - that's a terrible name. It sounds like 'prunes.'"

by Anonymousreply 3501/16/2013

I was 10 and watched Nanny and the Professor, on Friday nights on ABC which had the best line-up of good shows ever. They had Brady Bunch, Nanny, Partridge Family, Odd Couple, Room 222, The Courtship of Eddie's Father, Love American Style... It was all good until they started fucking with a good thing in 1974 by canceling Brady Bunch and Partridge Family changing times and days. Brady and Partridge should have gone on at least two more years. So Fridays turned to shit in 1974-75 and I was sad. Life became dull again. ABC had fucked me. Check out the grid schedule and see each season for all the good classic TV shows that were on.

by Anonymousreply 3601/16/2013

I loved it as a child. Even though I haven't heard the theme song in 40 years, I can still sing it from memory. I watched a LOT of tv.

by Anonymousreply 3701/16/2013

My great grandmother was named Nana, so when I was a kid I thought Nanny was really old and that was part of her magical powers.

by Anonymousreply 3801/16/2013

I vaguely remember it, but it must have been aired in syndication, because I couldn't have remembered it from 1971.

I do have some memories of being a kid, playing outside on a Friday night, and then coming in to watch the Bradys and Partridges. So that was probably '72-'73. Probably my earliest memories.

by Anonymousreply 3901/16/2013

Phoebe Figalilly is a silly name...and SO many silly things keep do do do do...

Those '70s theme songs were the best.

by Anonymousreply 4001/16/2013

The '70s were such a different time, I find it hard to believe that ABC would cancel a series just because a British actress had a nude scene in a Billy Wilder film.

by Anonymousreply 4101/16/2013

[quote]I find it hard to believe that ABC would cancel a series just because a British actress had a nude scene in a Billy Wilder film.

I don't. I think if an actress wants to hold down a long running TV role she need to be very cautious about the choices she makes, if they clash with the persona of her TV character.

by Anonymousreply 4201/16/2013

IMBD says Edward Mulhare of The Ghost and Mrs Muir died a confirmed bachelor. Wonder if he and Charles Nelson Reiley, bumped uglies?

by Anonymousreply 4301/16/2013

R4 -- widows outnumber widowers significantly in the general population, but on 50s/60s sitcoms not so much. A Dead Daddies Roll wouldn't be nearly so unusual.

by Anonymousreply 4401/16/2013

And she's got a great body. I still disagree, R42. Two completely different audiences.

by Anonymousreply 4501/16/2013

I kind of remember it...was it only on for a year? I loved Richard Long.

by Anonymousreply 4601/16/2013

Wikipedia says it was cancelled because the ratings took a nosedive after ABC moved it from Friday to Monday, opposite [italic]Gunsmoke[/italic] and [italic]Laugh-In.[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 4701/16/2013

I was a die hard Laugh-In viewer from a tender age but I remember watching Nanny too on occasion. I remember Francine the pretty blonde girl who lived down the block who had a thing for Hal and her zany mom who became the chow chow chow lady.

by Anonymousreply 4801/16/2013

[quote]Sadly the actor who played the younger son hanged himself in the playground of his old highschool.

Trent Lehman who played Butch also played 7 year old George Jorgensen Jr who became Christine Jorgensen in "The Christine Jorgensen Story". He committed suicide at 20.

by Anonymousreply 4901/18/2013

Phoebe Figililly was a silly name.. and so many silly things kept happening

by Anonymousreply 5001/18/2013

r35 the beatles had the song "dear Prudence" .. wont you come out to play. It was kinda a name from that time

by Anonymousreply 5101/18/2013

I read on-line (I know...) that Richard Long was actually gay. Anyone else hear this?

"Avanti" was a fairly important film at the time. After all, it was a Jack Lemmon-Billy Wilder pic. Hard to believe that was the main reason the show was canceled. Low-ish ratings were more likely the culprit.

Oh, and I had a "Nanny and the Professor" Colorforms set. (Remember those?) Now, how gay is that? Wish I'd kept it.

by Anonymousreply 5201/18/2013

[quote]I read on-line (I know...) that Richard Long was actually gay. Anyone else hear this?

No, actually...but when I started this thread I knew several people would say he was. It was a cert.

by Anonymousreply 5301/18/2013

I heard he was gay for Prudence. But she turned him down and he was gay for that one kid and he killed himself.

Then he was gay for Phoebe Snow but she had a tard for a kid. So he just got AIDS.

by Anonymousreply 5401/18/2013

I was gay for the oldest boy, what was his name, "Hal"? Seriously. It's okay, we were about the same age, at the time.

by Anonymousreply 5501/18/2013

This is funny. I don't remember ever having crushes on boys on the TV.

If I had, it wouldn't have been Hal.

by Anonymousreply 5601/18/2013

"I don't remember ever having crushes on boys on the TV. If I had, it wouldn't have been Hal."

But he was sooo cute back then.

He's since become very straight and boring. (Okay, maybe he was always very straight and boring.)

From Wikipedia:

"He once indicated that he wanted to attend the University of Southern California and aspired to become a dentist. Since 1980, Doremus, [now 55,] has been in the mobile electronics business. He is married to Erin Colleen Doremus (born 1959) and is the father of four children."

by Anonymousreply 5701/18/2013

Trent Lehman also played young George (Christine) Jorgensen in The Christine Jorgensen Story. I remember a scene of him wearing a dress with mommy's lipstick smeared on his face was prominent in print ads.

by Anonymousreply 5801/18/2013

Richard Long also died young - still in his 40s - in 1974, only three years after Nanny and Prof. He had some kind of heart disease.

by Anonymousreply 5901/18/2013

Juliet looked nice in Avanti. Jack Lemmon naked was another story....shudder.

by Anonymousreply 6001/18/2013

In 1974, Juliet starred in the Italian schlock-horror fest [italic]Beyond the Door,[/italic] a shameless ripoff of [italic]The Exorcist.[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 6101/18/2013

"He once indicated that he wanted to attend the University of Southern California and aspired to become a dentist."

Apparently, David "Hal" Doremus's boyhood idol was Hermey the Elf. Come to think of it, they even looked alike.

by Anonymousreply 6201/18/2013

R52, I have never read that Richard Long was gay. I have read interviews with his second wife and it sounds like they had a very intense and volatile relationship. I've also read that he was a heavy drinker and smoker.

I still think he was a very handsome man. If he had been gay, I'd have tried to hit it!

by Anonymousreply 6301/18/2013

Gawd, what an awful show! I had forgotten this one.

by Anonymousreply 6401/18/2013

Juliet Mills just guest starred on "Hot In Cleveland" as Jane Leeves mother. She was a head shorter than anyone on set. I was surprised to see her so tiny, I always thought she was tall.

by Anonymousreply 6501/19/2013

There's something funny about these very English actresses like Juliet Miills & Lynn Redgrave who moved to America and stayed there forever.

In those days they were so loved and respected in America for the way they sounded and behaved. They didn't know what had hit them.

by Anonymousreply 6601/19/2013

Toast is ready!

by Anonymousreply 6701/19/2013

R66. Don't forget they both came from British acting "royalty", so to make it on their own talents, America was an obvious choice. The "Mills" & "Redgrave" families did not mean as much to the average American. Juliet has certainly done quite well, check out the number of award nominations in theatre, film and T.V. She has garnered over the years. Has won a few too.

by Anonymousreply 6802/23/2013

I used to know a woman who dated Richard Long in college or high school. All she said about him was that he was a gentleman & her parents liked him.

by Anonymousreply 6902/23/2013

Maggie Smith presenting John Mills with an Oscar. Juliet is seated beside him.

by Anonymousreply 7002/23/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!