Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Jackie Chan Hits Out At U.S. 'Corruption,' Sparks Internet Backlash

Action star Jackie Chan incited a flurry of online backlash after declaring the United States to be the "most corrupt in the world" during an appearance on a Chinese talk show.

In a December interview that aired on Phoenix TV, Hong Kong-born Chan talked about China's corruption and compared it with problems in the U.S.

"What I can see is our country is continuously making progress and learning," Chan said of China, per a translation of the interview published by Ministry of Tofu. "If you talk about corruption, the entire world, America, has no corruption?"

When the show's host asked Chan about his statement, Chan continued thus, according to a Huffington Post translation of the interview: "Where does the Great [Depression] come from? It's precisely from the world, the United States, that it started."

The incendiary statement has drawn much criticism on Twitter and on Sina Weibo, China's Twitter-like micro-blogging site. Twitter curation blog Twitchy points to a few outraged tweets by Americans:

SEE LINK

Chan's comments about what he perceives to be American "corruption" also captured the attention of U.S. pundits recently.

Max Fisher, a foreign affairs blogger for the Washington Post, labeled the comments as an example of Chan's "anti-Americanism" and described Chan as "passionately political, a staunch defender of the Chinese Communist Party and harsh critic of anyone he sees as opposing Beijing." Fisher continued, writing, "Like [Chan's] criticism of Taiwanese and Hong Kong democracy, it’s as much about defending China. And that defensiveness is often more about internal Chinese doubts about their country’s progress, which has come so far but still has a ways to go."

Chinese tabloid the Global Times, on the other hand, defended Chan's comments.

"Everyone has the freedom to express his view. Making too big a deal out of Jackie Chan's words may be a sign that many Americans are losing the grace to face different opinions," writes the Global Times.

This is hardly the first time Chan has made a controversial political comment. During a 2009 panel on Chinese censorship, Chan aired his own uncertainties about freedom, saying, "I'm gradually beginning to feel that we Chinese need to be controlled. If we're not being controlled, we'll just do what we want."

Watch the untranslated clip of Chan's appearance on Phoenix TV below.

by Anonymousreply 5501/16/2013

He speaks the truth, of course he will be hated for it.

by Anonymousreply 101/14/2013

WHO?

by Anonymousreply 201/14/2013

I detect no lies.

by Anonymousreply 301/14/2013

[quote]"Everyone has the freedom to express his view. Making too big a deal out of Jackie Chan's words may be a sign that many Americans are losing the grace to face different opinions," writes the Global Times.

This person wins.

by Anonymousreply 401/14/2013

Why is it that Americans are told they must have "grace" and accept these harsh criticisms and generalizations of their society when, in fact, any time an American dare make similar comments toward the British or French or Koreans, it's damned as being arrogant and judgemental, etc.?

Why shouldn't Americans have enough pride of their country to push back and admit that while it isn't a perfect country, there are far worse, and far more corrupt governments on Earth?

Is America somehow MORE corrupt than North Korea? China? Russia? Iran? REALLY? What an asshole to make this statement, and against a society who's given him nothing but love, fame and fortune.

by Anonymousreply 501/14/2013

Truth hurts, America. But it also sets you free. One day.

by Anonymousreply 601/14/2013

[all posts by right wing shit-stain # a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 701/14/2013

by Anonymousreply 801/14/2013

[quote]Why is it that Americans are told they must have "grace" and accept these harsh criticisms and generalizations of their society

WHAT???!!!!!

F&F!

by Anonymousreply 1001/14/2013

R10 Grow up. Asking a question is not grounds for a F&F.

by Anonymousreply 1201/14/2013

America is corrupt, but China and many other dictatorships are much worse.

by Anonymousreply 1301/14/2013

[quote]America is corrupt, but China and many other dictatorships are much worse.

Stop deflecting. America is corrupt. Period. Doesn't matter what other countries are. America is one of them. Stay on the subject.

by Anonymousreply 1401/14/2013

It is not deflecting. He is the one who made the comparison - US to China and other nations.

by Anonymousreply 1501/14/2013

The truth hurts. Americans are in denial.

by Anonymousreply 1601/14/2013

Chan is a twat.

by Anonymousreply 1701/14/2013

But American corruption is Wall Street and the CEOs which basically rule the planet. Chinas Corporations do not rule the planet.

by Anonymousreply 1901/14/2013

Do you want China to rule the planet, R19? I guarantee it will be much worse. Corruption is Wall Street and CEOs sending jobs to China because they can profit from slave labour.

by Anonymousreply 2001/14/2013

People deflect, because they don't want to deal with their own guilt.

Me bad? But ... but the others are much worse! See? I am not so bad after all! Don't pick on me! I'm the victim here!

by Anonymousreply 2101/14/2013

I can see Chan making this statement. My family are citizens of Australia and New Zealand and they are not shy to offer their opinions of American corruption, in the particular, the CIA. They also see the US as hypocritical bullies. If you're sole superpower, you are going to receive some potshots. I then have to play the "you don't want us to be the world's police, why don't you do it."

In any case, Chan's entitled to his opinion and he's not altogether wrong. The US' economic collapse did fuck things up for the rest of the world. What I do dislike about Chan though is he's Hong Kong through and through, made his name off of the island's once thriving movie industry and yet he's so happy to be Beijing's lapdog. Why doesn't he use his time and influence to ensure Hong Kong's right of speech and other freedoms remain robust? Why doesn't he question why the mainland Chinese aren't allowed those same rights as the Chinese in Hong Kong? No, instead, Chan's thrown his hat in with government in Beijing. And during a time when he's already extremely wealthy and famous. It's not like he's in the peak of career and needs to protect it from falling off the cliff.

by Anonymousreply 2201/14/2013

Fuck. I 'd rather live in this corrupt country than his.

by Anonymousreply 2301/14/2013

by Anonymousreply 2401/14/2013

Chut up!

by Anonymousreply 2501/14/2013

Wait--China actually has a Ministry of Tofu? Is that down the hall from Bureau of Number 23, Extra Spicy?

by Anonymousreply 2601/14/2013

I'm with r5, r7 & r9.

Thread closed.

by Anonymousreply 2701/14/2013

Dog eaters.

by Anonymousreply 2801/14/2013

Anti-gay bullies aren't as bad as those who kill gays. It could be worse kids.

BTW, everyone who complained about Bush should not be living in the US today.

by Anonymousreply 2901/14/2013

And, Jackie Chan has made a lot of $$$ in AMERICA.

by Anonymousreply 3001/14/2013

R8, you're such a dumb fuck.

The Vietnamese don't bleed? What about Iraqis? What about African slaves?

What is your definition of bloodsoaked, you cunt?

by Anonymousreply 3101/14/2013

Actually, the U.K. is likely the most corrupt government on Earth.

by Anonymousreply 3201/14/2013

Pot. Kettle. Black.

by Anonymousreply 3301/14/2013

Good lord.

He didn't say "AmericanS" are corrupt, but that our GOVERNMENT is dangerously corrupt, from the prez all the way down.

by Anonymousreply 3401/14/2013

Sipping Jamieson from that special glass with the family "crest" that the family gave you for Christmas, Mickey? R32, I mean.

Chan and the rest of the off-worlders roaching the DL on threads such as this clamp their teeth onto the tit of Mother America but growl while they do it. The corruption in the USA, both domestically and in foreign/military affairs - and I know more about it than you do - is no different than that in the inept, grasping, naive, violent oligarchies in the pissant nations spouting off here. In fact, it's more controlled and overt. Chan is just another fat-cat who is easily used by others. And he's always been identified as one of the dumber people in the business.

Repeat after me, ladies: China is the greatest threat to the world on all fronts, and IT is based in a system that is corrupt to its core. Well, it's too corrupt to have a core. Its central abcess.

Russia? Brasil? Iran? France? Italy? Spain? Indonesia? Vietnam? Please - the first-world countries are ossified with corruption, and the second- and third-world are so absurdly incompetent and pockets-filling that it's a miracle they don't collapse from the human termites infesting them.

I loathe the American system's current expression. But at least the USA is spending billions in humanitarian aid and support for development every year to help improve the lives of others. China doesn't lift a finger without wrecking what it touches out of greed, and its industrial output is accelerating environmental chaos for all of us.

by Anonymousreply 3501/14/2013

The two faces of Jackie Chan. Say one thing to Chinese people and another thing to non-Chinese. "Face" is a culture in East Asia. Everyone should take a little time to understand it so they can understand East Asians better instead of looking at them like they are like European people because they are not.

If Jackie wants to find the most corrupt country in the world he can look out the window. He can point fingers at the U.S. for the global recession but the fact remains China's success for the past 50 years has been the result of Richard Nixon and Henry Kissinger's "opening" the country up and the following transfer of information from the West to the East that followed. China would not have gotten this far without Western (particularly American) investment and inventions. Not only is China's government corrupt but you also have the Chinese population who either completely supports it or looks the other way giving tacit support, it's top to bottom corruption.

Jackie had plastic surgery on his eyelids, btw.

by Anonymousreply 3601/14/2013

R35 knows best. V. amusing.

No, no, I am the greatest power!

Chan's an actor and acrobat, not a statistician. There is an index of corruption charted by nation that may be googled. Seen it, so I won't bother.

But speaking of corruption, Chan could lead the way in China by kung-fu kicking his way out of his closet for 2013. He is gayer than a Pride Day flag.

by Anonymousreply 3701/14/2013

The US government this century is the most corrupt and immoral it has been since the late 19th century, if not of all time. But it's absolutely nothing compared to China.

Then again, how low have we sunk when we start comparing ourselves to fucking China, instead of the best nations of Europe? Or for that matter, anyone?

by Anonymousreply 3801/14/2013

Refuse to watch any Jackie Chan movie that wasn't bootlegged in the US

by Anonymousreply 3901/15/2013

He's ignorant. Without America, China would be a giant North Korea.

by Anonymousreply 4001/15/2013

Wait a minute let me get this straight: I'm supposed to care what some foreign actor thinks of my government? Corrupt, not corrupt this is just his personal opinion or does Jackie Chan have an advanced degree in US Government/Politics that I don't know about?

by Anonymousreply 4101/15/2013

[quote]Chinese tabloid the Global Times, on the other hand, defended Chan's comments. "Everyone has the freedom to express his view. Making too big a deal out of Jackie Chan's words may be a sign that many Americans are losing the grace to face different opinions," writes the Global Times.

I'm confused. I thought China didn't have free speech. All their social networking sites are censored.

by Anonymousreply 4201/15/2013

Stop that! You stop that right now, America is none of those things, she is gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous!

by Anonymousreply 4301/15/2013

They're lying, R42. They do that a lot in dictatorships.

by Anonymousreply 4401/15/2013

Jackie Chan is trying to be the new face Americas anger with China?

"Just **Jackie Chan** more of those jobs right out of America, General Electric, Microsoft, General Motors etc. etc.???"

by Anonymousreply 4501/15/2013

I still like the #15 boneless ribs lunch special with fried rice and a soup, even if Jackie Chan thinks we are corrupt and China doesn't like us.

All joking aside, I always wonder what or where the local take-out owners do with their cash. They must be doing okay money-wise, considering the business that they get. Any disagreement the USA has/had with China didn't slow it down one bit. Since they really don't participate in the community, I assume they send the cash overseas, and invest it there. They sure don't hire locals.

by Anonymousreply 4601/15/2013

R18 I agree totally. And if he thinks it's so corrupt, then maybe he should stop working here and stop coming over here.

by Anonymousreply 4701/15/2013

This bitch is burning bridges left and right.

by Anonymousreply 4801/15/2013

"What I can see is our country is continuously making progress and learning"

What I can see is an unending and self-perpetuating dictatorship which "advances" by stealing ideas from other, more enlightened cultures...and still manages to fuck them up because shoddy ineptitude is the only thing their "culturally exceptional" people can understand...

And don't get me started on India.

by Anonymousreply 4901/15/2013

"And if he thinks it's so corrupt, then maybe he should stop working here and stop coming over here"

Oh, I think he's managed to solve that one all on his little brain-dead ownsome...

by Anonymousreply 5001/15/2013

I hate his obnoxious "Veggie style" commercial.

by Anonymousreply 5101/15/2013

So much for Chans American movie career.

by Anonymousreply 5201/15/2013

[quote]He's ignorant. Without America, China would be a giant North Korea.

Without China, America wouldn't be able to survive.

by Anonymousreply 5301/15/2013

The US survived fine without China pre-2000 - in fact, it was doing better...

by Anonymousreply 5401/15/2013

The USA was doing FAR better without China. That is the real story here.

by Anonymousreply 5501/16/2013
Need more help? Click Here.