Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Most flawless, respectable celebrity coming-outs

Man: Zachary Quinto

Woman: Cynthia Nixon

by Anonymousreply 5501/17/2013

C-list "celebs" that no one cares about.

The A-list does not come out. Never has and it'll be a long time before anyone (in the thick of their career) ever will.

by Anonymousreply 101/14/2013

Matt Bomer?

by Anonymousreply 201/14/2013

Jim Parsons and Zach Quinto were the best. Casually referring to themselves as gay while doing an interview about other topics.

by Anonymousreply 301/14/2013

Luke Macfarlane all the way!

by Anonymousreply 401/14/2013

I thought Ricky Martin's and Frank Ocean's posts were some of the most beautiful stuff I've ever read on the net.

by Anonymousreply 501/14/2013

So, apparently Jodie Foster didn't really come out last night.

by Anonymousreply 601/14/2013

Ellen, certainly. I think she's by far the best. Plus, she's A List now and was at least B+ List when she came out.

by Anonymousreply 701/14/2013

Luke McFarlane?!? no....he came out ...tried to go back in when he became famous...then came out

by Anonymousreply 801/14/2013

That's Luke Evans, you freaking dumbass.

by Anonymousreply 901/14/2013

"Jim Parsons and Zach Quinto were the best."

Also Jonathan Groff. Not as famous as these guys at the time, but still, very well done.

by Anonymousreply 1001/14/2013

Zachary Quinto is certainly up there.

I could quibble and argue that it should have been done a year earlier when he first got involved in the "It Gets Better" campaign and when he was originally asked by The New York Times and evaded the question, but he saw the error of his ways in the year following and quickly realized what the right thing to do was.

by Anonymousreply 1101/14/2013

Cynthia had that weird "I wasn't gay during my marriage" thing last year that hurt her gay rep.

by Anonymousreply 1201/14/2013

Was Groff ever in R10? As soon as it came up he was open about beig gay which is awesome and better but a different question.

by Anonymousreply 1301/14/2013

Zachary Quinto is hot so I'll have to agree!

by Anonymousreply 1401/14/2013

I guess John Barrowman has been out for a long time, certainly since his involvement with Doctor Who and Torchwood. I don't think he was out back in his U.S. t.v. days in the 1990's, though.

by Anonymousreply 1501/14/2013

Kristy McNichol broke over 2 decades of silence to come out, adding her voice and face to the anti-bullying movement. She's a real sweetie, no two ways about it.

by Anonymousreply 1601/14/2013

On the other hand, Jim McGreevey. What a shitshow. His poor wife, that skeezy non-citizen boy toy in a patronage job, an actual press conference.

by Anonymousreply 1701/14/2013

McGeevey was hilarious!

by Anonymousreply 1801/14/2013

Oscar Wilde

by Anonymousreply 1901/14/2013

There was a lot of screaming on DL re Cynthia Nixon.

I think Jane Lynch's was good, though I forget how it went.

by Anonymousreply 2001/14/2013

Johnny Mathis' was the best (and he did it in like 1982.)

by Anonymousreply 2101/14/2013

by Anonymousreply 2201/15/2013

Worst? Anne Heche.

by Anonymousreply 2301/15/2013

No love for Neil Patrick Harris??

by Anonymousreply 2401/15/2013

Martina Navratilova?

She came out when she was still at the height of her career.

by Anonymousreply 2501/15/2013

Sir Ian McKellen

by Anonymousreply 2601/15/2013

[quote]No love for Neil Patrick Harris??

He was outed.

by Anonymousreply 2701/15/2013

I went to grade school with Cynthia Nixon. She quasi-flirted with me on First Avenue in 1982. Natural blonde. Never pinged at all for me. Had a boyfriend for fifteen years.

Still processing that one.

by Anonymousreply 2801/15/2013

Cynthia Nixon has like a sexuality all of her own that no other creature comes close to..... She had children with an effeminate straight men then married a butch lesbian who looks like a man. Just plain odd.

by Anonymousreply 2901/15/2013

huh....we can't say effeminatte?

by Anonymousreply 3001/15/2013

k.d. lang.

by Anonymousreply 3101/15/2013

R30 I guess you can if you misspell it.

by Anonymousreply 3201/15/2013

R8, Luke McFarlane has not been in since I became aware of him on Brothers & Sisters.

R9, Who? (you freaking mentioner of the non-famous)

R10, has Jonathan Groff ever been in?

by Anonymousreply 3301/15/2013

r7, Ellen is great and she came out through a great struggle but I would hardly call it the 'most flawless'.

She got some hard knocks which she didn't deserve. First she was criticized for coming out too slowly- over the course of her show. Then it was "Just for publicity". Then she was lambasted for supposedly being 'too gay' (which was total bullshit, thanks, CHAZ.)

None of that bothered me. What bothered me was that after it was all said and done, she couldn't even accept the word 'lesbian' because it "sounded like a disease."

Again, I love the woman and will always be amazed and in admiration for her coming out- but it was not flawless.

In fact, most every one has bumps and bruises during this process, this is part of the reason it's so hard to do. If it were easy, well, everyone would do it.

by Anonymousreply 3401/15/2013

[quote]Martina Navratilova? She came out when she was still at the height of her career.

Actually Martina N, to her credit, came out just before she was about to hit the absolute peak of her career. Her total domination of tennis happened after she came out, not before.

Ok yeah she claimed to be bisexual back then but in her defense she was worried that her US citizenship application might be rejected due to her sexuality. In any case it took a lot of guts and Martina deserves respect for her courage.

by Anonymousreply 3501/15/2013

I thought Ellen admitting that she was Lebanese on Rosie's show was clever. And then Ro saying in mock wonderment, "We'll maybe I'm also Lebanese!!" , was pretty funny.

by Anonymousreply 3701/15/2013

Oh yeah! I remember that moment!

OMG remember how *controversial* it was! It's really eye-opening to look back and see some of the footage and old press releases going around about about it all back then.

Remember the national HRC sponsored coming out parties? You could write in for a "kit" that would have HRC info and coming out advice and flyers to have lying around for your Ellen party.

The media really played along with the "is she/isn't she?" hype! There were people in flyover country denying it up until the day she officially came out.

Oh, And Rosie. I recall people saying, "but she's just joking!" it was kind of disgusting how people would deny it.

by Anonymousreply 3801/15/2013

A classic!

by Anonymousreply 3901/15/2013

Most of you are naming people as "coming out" when they were actually forced out kicking and screaming, while pointing at all their previous beards. Besides, what courage does it take to be out these days? Go back in history and look at a man named Ramon Navarro, or the boy who lost his career after he told Walt Disney that he is homosexual. There are plenty of people in history who should have awards named after them. Some for courage, and many more for extreme cowardice. I certainly think that the "Roy Cohn" award should be given every year to the prominent American who is himself or herself suspected of being a closet-case, would usually be a politician like Rick Santorum, who makes the most hateful statements against homosexuals.

by Anonymousreply 4001/15/2013

Ellen. Period. Trailblazer.

Who gives a shit how people come out? Do you people want to come up with some acceptable guidelines so that celebrities know the right way to come out that will meet your standards? I think that would be helpful.

Then you can stop bitching that no one is doing it right.

People here complain that celebrities don't come out. Then they come out and they're criticized for the manner in which they do it.

It's riduclous.

by Anonymousreply 4101/15/2013

I always liked David Hyde Pierce's response to questions about his sexual identity: "My life is an open book. That doesn't mean I have to read it to you."

Also, Nathan Lane was pretty funny about it: "Look, I'm 40, I'm single, and I work in musical theater - you do the math!"

by Anonymousreply 4201/15/2013

R42, in the case of those two, they had both basically refused to officially confirm that they were gay until the last minute. It was during the exchange you mention that Nathan Lane finally did, and it was some time after that when David Hyde Pierce finally confirmed it when he acknowledged his boyfriend while winning an award.

by Anonymousreply 4301/15/2013

What about Chad Allen?

Even though I think he was outed, he ha worked hard in subsequent years to make a positive impact. He was on several of Larry King's panels several years ago facing off against anti-gay priests before gay marriage had as much public support as it does now.

by Anonymousreply 4401/15/2013

David Hyde Pierce isn't a good example of a graceful coming out, in my opinion.

Mo Rocca came out very nonchalantly, if I recall correctly.

by Anonymousreply 4501/15/2013

Cynthia "I chose to be gay" Nixon's coming out was not so much classy, as it was detrimental to actual gay people who were born this way.

by Anonymousreply 4601/15/2013

Word, R46. Her and Anne Heche.

by Anonymousreply 4701/15/2013

And that goes for goddam Amber Heard too. Knock it off, ladies.

by Anonymousreply 4801/15/2013

Anderson Cooper came out eloquently.

by Anonymousreply 4901/15/2013

R46. CN also made reference to her girlfriend's butchness. Implying that it was her masculinity that attracted her and not her partner being a woman.

by Anonymousreply 5001/15/2013

[quote]In any case it took a lot of guts and Martina deserves respect for her courage.

Agree. It was much, much tougher for her than for Foster, who, basically, lived a sheltered life.

by Anonymousreply 5101/15/2013

Ellen's to this day is one of the most respectable. In part because it was anything but flawless.

by Anonymousreply 5201/15/2013

Stop saying that. It was a joke!

I think it is impossible to do a "flawless" or "normal" coming out. Actually, I think Jodie's was the most natural.

by Anonymousreply 5301/15/2013

Give me a break, R53. It was anything but natural.

by Anonymousreply 5401/15/2013

Actors who came out late in life:

George Takei

Richard Chamberlain

Tab Hunter

Takei has done a lot of work for gay causes since officially coming out, but why did he not do so during his regular Star Trek career? And why did Chamberlain and Hunter take so long too?

by Anonymousreply 5501/17/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!