Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why did the GG's suck Ben Affleck's cock?

Is Argo really that good?

by Anonymousreply 8101/16/2013

It is a very good film - well cast, paced and directed. I'm glad the GGs recognized it and Affleck, since it seems he got dissed (as Director) by the Oscar noms.

by Anonymousreply 101/14/2013

Ask George Clooney. He gets all the hot cock in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 301/14/2013

It is a very good movie but not great. Lincoln is a much better film.

by Anonymousreply 401/14/2013

it was the least flawed of all the major contenders.

by Anonymousreply 501/14/2013

It was a very good, entertaining movie. That said, I thought Zero Dark Thirty was by far superior.

-Lincoln was a boring slog, but solid

-Les Mis was just schmalzy

-SLP - enjoyed it but it WAS pretty light weight

by Anonymousreply 601/14/2013

It's a good film, plus it sucks up to the CIA.

by Anonymousreply 701/14/2013

It was a welcome back handshake. He was the original "unit famewhore couple" with Bennifer. His career was a joke, he made a string of bad movies, then he went away and came back as a director and star of some wel received movies. This was a pat on the back.

by Anonymousreply 801/14/2013

The votes for GG were already in before his Oscar snub.

by Anonymousreply 901/14/2013

the Globes will always go for glamour over substance so of course the film directed by the STAR trumps all other rationale.

by Anonymousreply 1001/14/2013

Because he's hot, who wouldn't want to suck his cock?

by Anonymousreply 1101/14/2013

I've seen Argo, Les Miz, Lincoln and Silver Linings Playbook (not ZDT yet). Of those four, Argo was my favorite.

by Anonymousreply 1201/14/2013

I beat

by Anonymousreply 1301/14/2013

R3, List please of all the "hot cock."

by Anonymousreply 1401/14/2013

It was absolutely outrageous.

It was an insult to Steven Spielberg and a film like 'Lincoln' which has had much more impact in our culture over the past several months.

And the idiots at the Globes seem to have forgotten that 'Argo' portrays the CIA in a positive light whereas in reality this is an organization which was involved in the assassination of JFK. They can fuck off. I will never see 'Argo'.

by Anonymousreply 1501/14/2013

The winner should be the best film, not the one that "has the most impact on our culture" which I've seen thrown around several times here. Lincoln was a pompous bore of a film. Good for Argo. Too bad SLP didn't beat Les Mis.

by Anonymousreply 1601/14/2013

I don't want to suck his cock, but he can suck mine if he promises no teeth.

by Anonymousreply 1701/14/2013

[quote]And the idiots at the Globes seem to have forgotten that 'Argo' portrays the CIA in a positive light whereas in reality this is an organization which was involved in the assassination of JFK. They can fuck off. I will never see 'Argo'.

One of the most insane things I've ever read. Besides the fact there is no proof the CIA killed Kennedy, what does that have to do with the Iranian hostage situation that happened, I don't know, almost 20 years after Kennedy was killed.

by Anonymousreply 1801/14/2013

Lincoln has had no impact on our culture. Bitch, please.

by Anonymousreply 1901/14/2013

R15 - and Hollywood is where propaganda is made and rewarded.

by Anonymousreply 2001/14/2013

God, I hate tinhats....

by Anonymousreply 2201/14/2013

Fuck off, R22. I hate ignorant Americans who don't bother to read about their own history.

by Anonymousreply 2301/14/2013

It's not history. It's a wingnut theory. But I'll leave that to you.

That said, it was nothing at all to do with whether Argo was a good movie. And it was.

by Anonymousreply 2401/14/2013

I enjoyed Argo more than Lincoln at least, so if it was just between the two of them I'd rather see Argo win.

by Anonymousreply 2501/14/2013

[quote]It's not history. It's a wingnut theory. But I'll leave that to you.

It's not a theory - it's fact. It's proof from people who were there and who have been involved. Have you even read the books above, asshole?

Have you done any of the pioneering work on the JFK case that Mark Lane and others have done for the past 50 years?

All you're doing is sitting at a computer and making bitchy anonymous remarks without refuting anything.

What do you have to contribute? I hate people like you.

by Anonymousreply 2601/14/2013

They sucked his cock to get a taste of Damon ass. That's some sweet stuff.

by Anonymousreply 2701/14/2013

R26 with his hands on his hips, having a temper tantrum!

Argo was a good movie but I wouldn't have named it best picture.

by Anonymousreply 2801/14/2013

R26? All you're doing is sitting behind a computer overusing curse words and getting over emotional.

P.S. It's a fucking movie. Get over yourself. Wanker.

by Anonymousreply 2901/14/2013

You lost me at "fact."

by Anonymousreply 3001/14/2013

Have you forgotten that this is the fucking GOLDEN GLOBES? They've made really stupid, outrageous decisions over the years.

That being said, ARGO was a good movie and deserving of an Oscar nod.

by Anonymousreply 3101/14/2013

[quote]All you're doing is sitting behind a computer overusing curse words and getting over emotional.

You might want to look over your posting history, hon.

You sound hysterical.

by Anonymousreply 3201/14/2013

Did former winner Pia Zadora attend the ceremony?

by Anonymousreply 3301/14/2013

GG's are foreign press, they might not feel the same about a US president, like Lincoln as much as the AA.

by Anonymousreply 3401/14/2013

No, R32. I am angry. Not hysterical. I'm disturbed that there appear to be people here who don't know anything about what has been uncovered about JFK's assassination over the past 50 years.

But I'm not going to post on this thread again since there's not much point.

by Anonymousreply 3501/14/2013

Thank you R35, since this is a Golden Globe/ Affleck cock thread, not an assassination thread.

by Anonymousreply 3601/14/2013

[R35] Good riddance, the thread is not about the bull shit you want to promote. Start your own thread. Oh, you need to pay the $18 first?

by Anonymousreply 3701/14/2013

I don't get it either, except that it was picked by the HFPA, so it sort of made sense that they would champion mediocrity from a 'stah'.

I have liked all of Affleck's directorial efforts. And I think that 'Argo' is definitely his most successful. However, it was merely a good thriller, nothing ground-shaking.

I was entertained by it, and there were some very good performances (Scoot McNairy impressed me a lot) but there is no way in hell it was a better movie than 'Zero Dark Thirty'. Bigelow is going to get shafted because everyone is too scared to run afoul of a few Senators.

I haven't seen 'Lincoln' yet, but the only reason I am hesitant is because it's directed by Spielberg and I'm not looking forward to the "Spielbergian-effect". From all accounts, it sounds like his touch has ruined what could have been a really great work. Haneke is miles about him as a director and in how to make an 'impact' with film.

by Anonymousreply 3801/14/2013

"Lincoln" is respected, that doesn't mean it should win. I liked it, but I enjoyed all of the other nominated films more, Les Mis being the exception.

Of the five directors nominated for the oscar I actually think that Spielberg is the weakest link. Kushner, DDL, Tommy Lee Jones are the award worthy aspects of the movie.

by Anonymousreply 3901/14/2013

Isn't Affleck supposed to be a tinymeat anyway?

by Anonymousreply 4001/14/2013

[quote]I was entertained by it, and there were some very good performances (Scoot McNairy impressed me a lot) but there is no way in hell it was a better movie than 'Zero Dark Thirty'. Bigelow is going to get shafted because everyone is too scared to run afoul of a few Senators.

I agree, ZDT was a much superior film. Argo was a fun popcorn flick.

by Anonymousreply 4101/14/2013

Argo was very well directed but it's such a piece of propaganda. The original story is interesting but apparently not interesting enough to stick to; I was really put off by the factual inaccuracies and the way they sidelined the risks and bravery taken by foreign nationals to save these hostages. That just left a bad taste in my mouth.

Plus, they really stretched the suspense with ridiculous genre elements that really didn't have a place in a historical film.

It's a good looking film, the cast is great, terrific premise let down by inaccuracies and strained credibility.

by Anonymousreply 4201/14/2013

Say what you will about the GGs, I will never forget that "Brokeback Mountain" took the top GG prizes and then got massacred at the Oscars.

I liked Argo, and it was well designed for its purpose; but then, I also like popcorn.

by Anonymousreply 4301/14/2013

Argo won because it is a political story made very accessible for people who hate to listen, and Lincoln, a better film, takes much more concentration. Lincoln will be remembered long after every other nominated film this year.

by Anonymousreply 4401/14/2013

[quote]But I'm not going to post on this thread again since there's not much point.

You can say that again.

by Anonymousreply 4501/14/2013

Argo had no character arcs, and Affleck wore the same expression throughout. It felt like they threw in the stuff about his wife and kid, however predictable, in an attempt to give his character some semblance of depth.

by Anonymousreply 4601/14/2013

[quote]I will never see 'Argo'.

R15 that kind of explains everything right there. That makes you the worst of all opinionated, head-in-your-ass assholes. The world is full of them. Remember The Satanic Verses?

by Anonymousreply 4701/14/2013

Go fuck yourself, r48.

by Anonymousreply 4901/14/2013

R39 Tommy Lee Jones was cringeworthy. That accent ruined it for me.

by Anonymousreply 5001/14/2013

"The Oscar Academy already decided to give all the awards to Lincoln and Jewberg.

If Affleck was nominated it would split the Jew vote"

Apart from the fact that Ben Affleck is not Jewish so your theory makes little if any sense to begin with, perhaps you should note that Stephen Spielberg lost best direction oscars to gentiles three times (Richard Attenborough, Warren Beatty and Paul Haggis).

And this year he is not the only Jewish director nominated as Benh Zeitlin's (Beasts of the Southern Wild) dad is Jewish (and many probably think he's completely Jewish).

But other than that you raise a really good point.

by Anonymousreply 5101/14/2013

It's a very satisfying little movie, extremely well done, and while it's not "life transforming," it doesn't need to be.

A good $1000 check is better than a $10000 check that bounces.

Having said that, the best movie of the year is, hands down, Amour, but that's another matter entirely.

by Anonymousreply 5201/14/2013

What a disgusting headline. ... It speaks volumes about the type you are, OP. Let me guess; attention seeking, insecure, fat little troll, with a flat ass and a small but prominent gut. ,.. You last got laid, when? 2001? I see. You're still trying to recover from that one, financially. Oh? You jerk off four times a day? Well, good! So, you have a nice boring, gray, uneventful day, so you can think up more shit to post on DL. Okay?..

by Anonymousreply 5301/14/2013

I cannot believe posters claiming Argo made the CIA employees look like anything but pompous, ridiculous, totally foolish bureaucrats. Some of the best lines in the movie made complete fun of their ineptness. In contrast the Canadians appeared to be extremely professional, courageous, and admirable governmental workers. Kudos to them again.

I would agree with those that think it was a little too light on facts vs typical action movie, except for the fact that teens at the critics' pre-screening claimed it was boring until the very exciting chase sequence. Meaning if Affleck went for more accuracy, he'd end up with a Lincoln-like boring movie that few wanted to see.

by Anonymousreply 5401/14/2013

And it is also extremely critical of U.S. policy in Iran. How on earth anyone can see it as jingoistic propaganda is beyond me.

by Anonymousreply 5501/14/2013

Don't carw much for hm. Will never see themovie so no opinion on his win. Just here to say I can't fucking stand that fucking cunt wife of his.

by Anonymousreply 5601/14/2013

[quote]And it is also extremely critical of U.S. policy in Iran. How on earth anyone can see it as jingoistic propaganda is beyond me.

Because the idiot poster didn't see the movie.

by Anonymousreply 5701/14/2013

I don't want to suck his cock,but I will eat his ass.

by Anonymousreply 5801/14/2013

If Benh Zeitlin's dad is Jewish then Benh is not Jewish according to Jewish law but he is Jewish according to German law.

by Anonymousreply 5901/14/2013

[quote] There are even former CIA & FBI agents ON RECORD as having admitted it,

LOL! Riiight. Links please.

Never mind don't bother with your crazy websites.

Mark Lane? You cannot be serious. Everyone I knew who knew him knew he was insane back in the late 70s and early 80s. I certainly thought he was a silly man though he could be enjoyable at times. No one takes Mark Lane seriously. I often wondered if even he did.

by Anonymousreply 6001/14/2013

They ate my cunt first!

by Anonymousreply 6101/14/2013

I'd bet they switched it after the Oscar noms to create a stir. Plus the GGs are about celebrity. Look at wins by Madonna, nominating everyone in Hollywood etc.

by Anonymousreply 6201/14/2013

[quote]And the idiots at the Globes seem to have forgotten that 'Argo' portrays the CIA in a positive light whereas in reality this is an organization which was involved in the assassination of JFK. They can fuck off. I will never see 'Argo'.

OMG, had no idea.

by Anonymousreply 6301/14/2013

Goodness! I can't believe how passionate you all become when discussing film!

by Anonymousreply 6401/15/2013

fine, r18.

Two words: Iran Contra.

by Anonymousreply 6501/15/2013

I'm pretty sure Sophia didn't.

by Anonymousreply 6601/15/2013

If anyone thinks the GG awards are fluff while the Academy awards are legitimate is an idiot. The Academy is made up of ancient voters

by Anonymousreply 6701/15/2013

Well the academy is fluff too but the GG's are fluffier.

To me the biggest flaw in Argo is Affleck's performance. Such macho preening. Another director would have told him to tone down the ego.

by Anonymousreply 6801/15/2013

R55, you don't think amping it up like an action movie complete with crazed Iranians racing a plane down a runway ready to shoot at it is anything but propaganda? Playing down the role of other foreign nationals to make it seem like it was only the work of a handful of plucky Americans in the CIA and Hollywood that made it a successful mission - people who risked their lives by protecting American nationals?

How is Argo critical of U.S. policy in Iran other than portraying the irrefutable history of that country's revolution and power shift during the '70s? What policy, that Carter had his hands tied and shouldn't have allowed the disposed Shah of Iran to seek treatment for cancer in the U.S.?

I don't think Argo is jingoistic but because of the way they choose to handle the material - "this is a great real life story - we've just added a few bits to make it more interesting" - certainly veers in the direction of propaganda. Even the casting of Ben Affleck as Tony Mendes, brooding shirtless in hotel rooms with fantastic hair, is a bit of propaganda.

Argo is a decent film but it's too Hollywood with the history and too contrived even in its Hollywood moments, particularly with the stalling of Arkin and Goodman at the film's cilmax. Excellent ensemble though.

by Anonymousreply 6901/15/2013

[quote] - "this is a great real life story - we've just added a few bits to make it more interesting" - certainly veers in the direction of propaganda. Even the casting of Ben Affleck as Tony Mendes, brooding shirtless in hotel rooms with fantastic hair, is a bit of propaganda.

Read a book or watch a documentary instead if you're going to cry propaganda everytime a Hollywood movie takes dramatic license,

by Anonymousreply 7001/15/2013

r70 please kill yourself

by Anonymousreply 7101/15/2013

r71 get cancer and die slowly.

by Anonymousreply 7201/15/2013

because he had some good dick

by Anonymousreply 7301/15/2013

and I'm certainly not going to do it.

by Anonymousreply 7401/15/2013

R70, I guess the difference is that I don't live inside the bubble of the U.S. so to me it looked like posturing. If the mission was as great as they said it was, surely that would satisfy on a dramatic level.

I await the Iranian version.

by Anonymousreply 7501/15/2013

[quote]I await the Iranian version.

Oh, that should be fun.

by Anonymousreply 7601/15/2013

[R75] Half the movie goers were not even around when this happened and had no knowledge of this event. It was not some big rescue mission, the movie is about what was done to get these Americans out of Iran, not some rescue. Had they been caught the consequences would have been dire. The Iranians did not know it happened so waiting for the Iranian version would be futile.

by Anonymousreply 7701/15/2013

Handsome Ben with that gorgeous hair cut and beautiful trimmed beard. I don't care if he can even talk.

by Anonymousreply 7801/15/2013

I don't like Ben Asslips for several reasons (including helping to elevate that cunt J-Hole to star status). It's like the whole GG was a big "let's kiss Ben's ass" party. And fuck that skag/baby machine he's married to as well--her tits were about to pop out of that couch-cover she squeezed in to.

by Anonymousreply 7901/15/2013

Worked for Iranians in LA. Strict Moslem, they said that the Shah was corrupt but the extremely controlling religious leaders encouraged mass hysteria over education of women and sensible debate. They were very fatalistic about death and even suicide. Life did not have the same value, especially for the poor and powerless. I felt that the film portrayed Iranian anomie very well. Rioting crowds aren't as concerned about their hungry children or lack of work.

by Anonymousreply 8001/15/2013

Ben's a bit full of it when it comes to his background. His Mother's father was a very important and wealthy lawyer, Sam Shaw who lived in New York City and Millbrook in Dutchess County on a big estate. Of course this has nothing to do with his cock so you can disregard this post.

by Anonymousreply 8101/16/2013
Need more help? Click Here.