Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Anne Hathaway jumped the insufferable shark last night...

Anyone else tired of her "wow, me" stuff? The return to the microphone to thank the manager of 14 years was the height of ego. She seems to believe she has accomplished something mighty in Les Miz. She's in the film for 12 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 35901/28/2013

Exactly what could she have said that you wouldn't criticize, r3.

by Anonymousreply 501/14/2013

What would have been a more appropriate speech then, R4?

by Anonymousreply 601/14/2013

[quote]She's an A-list star in a major film.

She's not A-list. Most people have never heard of her.

by Anonymousreply 701/14/2013

I remember when Anne first hit people talked about how more 'real' this one was.

I was at the Trevor Project's Cracked Xmas and she auctioned herself off and seemed like such a fun girl.

But all of them...the nice ones, the fake ones, the 'real' ones, the mean ones...they're all actors.

It will always be about 'me me me me me' -- some of them just make eye contact with the schulbs and really mean it when they say thank you.

by Anonymousreply 801/14/2013

r2, take your meds. She's just an actress. And a B+ one at that.

by Anonymousreply 901/14/2013

Get over it, fer Chrissake.

by Anonymousreply 1101/14/2013

r10, the spamming here is insane. You've got some nerve telling me I dictate when DL goes opposite my wishes when there are 6 troll posts about Anne Hathaway on DL right now. Point a finger at me and a finger gets pointed right back at you. But at least I'm not a troll.

by Anonymousreply 1201/14/2013

There aren't six troll posts. What are you writing about?

But here's why I agree with OP. I'm an industry vet, and you can tell a certain desperation that creeps into an actor when he/she has given themselves the "whatever" it takes to win the medal mode. They don't understand how bald and shallow the hunger is. ("...a blunt instrument..." please)

Particularly in Hollywood created star actresses, you see it every three years or so...(Zellwegger, Roberts, etc...) It's the "I must be anointed princess" theory, and all the publicists and all the media join in. It doesn't matter if there's any real talent or if the part deserves it. It's all about "isn't she our daughter, and she's done her time, and she's so sweet..." etc etc.

The Golden Globes always falls for it, and the Oscars often do. It's also heavily dependent on how much $ the actors' films have made, and on that score, some people owe Hathaway some favors.

I think her speech last night and her subsequent "OH, I have to thank my manager" hurt her Oscar chances. She just wasn't appealing.

by Anonymousreply 1301/14/2013

It's interesting why she's so desperate for one. She's only 30. This is only her second nomination. Is she so scared that this will be her only chance at the brass ring?

by Anonymousreply 1401/14/2013

Well she played Mary Poppins with an std, so she's okay with me.

by Anonymousreply 1501/14/2013

Meh, let her get one. Then she will probably be having lunch with Mercedes Ruehl and Mira Sorvino soon enough.

by Anonymousreply 1601/14/2013

Well, she mentioned that her mom was in Les Miz on stage, so maybe she knows how fleeting it all really can be...

by Anonymousreply 1701/14/2013

The look on Sally Field's face when she brought up "The Flying Nun" was priceless. She was NOT amused.

by Anonymousreply 1801/14/2013

Wait, who hasn't heard of Anne Hathaway? Just because you don't like her doesn't mean she isn't famous!

by Anonymousreply 1901/14/2013

[quote]It's interesting why she's so desperate for one. She's only 30.

Jennifer Lawrence is 22 and about to win her first Oscar. As Best Actress. That's gotta burn a girl like Anne.

by Anonymousreply 2001/14/2013

Whoa. She really did mention the Flying Nun. What the? It just comes off as passive aggressive shade throwing - and desperate.

It's so hard to keep giving her the benefit of the doubt.

by Anonymousreply 2101/14/2013

[quote]Wait, who hasn't heard of Anne Hathaway?

Millions of people. She's not THAT famous. She's well-known, yes, but she's not Angelina Jolie or Oprah or Hillary Clinton. She's in the second tier of fame, not the first.

by Anonymousreply 2201/14/2013

Ridiculous, R23.

Jennifer Lawrence is already a previous Oscar nominee and she was great in SLP.

Also, it's an award for the BEST PERFORMANCE OF THE YEAR, not a lifetime achievement award.

by Anonymousreply 2401/14/2013

I'm pretty sure MOST people who are even fairly acquainted with movies knows who Anne Hathaway is. The comparison to Hillary Clinton is just odd.

by Anonymousreply 2501/14/2013

R25, my point was that Anne Hathaway does not feature on the list of most prominent or recognized women in the world that comes out every year.

Women like Angelina Jolie, The Queen of England, Oprah, Hillary Clinton & others DO.

by Anonymousreply 2601/14/2013

Anne Hathaway is an A-list actor. Certainly at the top of the heap of actresses around her age.

Comparing her to the Queen of fucking England is the most ridiculous of straw man arguments since nobody else was comparing her to such!

She's an American A-list actress.

That's it!

by Anonymousreply 2701/14/2013

If you thought this speech was bad you should have seen her at the Critics Choice Awards when she used her acceptance speech to chastise whoever was doing the teleprompter for spelling her name incorrectly.

by Anonymousreply 2801/14/2013

R27, someone above (maybe you?) was saying that EVERYONE knows who she is.

I was simply pointing out that there are far more famous women in the world than her.

by Anonymousreply 2901/14/2013

[quote]someone above (maybe you?) was saying that EVERYONE knows who she is.

My you must be VERY literal if you can't identify that that poster didn't mean, literally every single person in the world knows how Anne Hathaway is.

She's very famous. She's A-list. Get over it.

God, and I don't even LIKE AnnE Hathaway.

by Anonymousreply 3001/14/2013

"How gauche..."

by Anonymousreply 3101/14/2013

Okay, the references to the "Princess Diaries" and the gabbling during the "Best Picture" acceptance were slightly annoying, but she still only rated about one-third of a Paltrow on the Datalounge Annoying Actress Scale.

Get a grip. She just isn't in the big leagues yet.

by Anonymousreply 3201/14/2013

She's beginning to rival Taylor Swifty's OH MY GOD I WON faces.

by Anonymousreply 3301/14/2013

She's always going on about the Princess Diaries but I never really hear anybody talk about that vis a vis her career or how it 'held her back.'

by Anonymousreply 3401/14/2013

The tide has officially turned after her speech last night. Many older AMPAS members, which is basically most of them, are furious that she shoved The Flying Nun in Sally Field's face. It's one thing for the actress herself to bring it up, but since it is such a sore point and embarassment for Field, it just smacked of cruelty and sadism on Hathaway's part. And don't defend her by saying she was paying homage. With homages like that, who needs enemies?

by Anonymousreply 3501/14/2013

[quote]Many older AMPAS members, which is basically most of them, are furious

Link please.

by Anonymousreply 3601/14/2013

Can Amy Adams now win, please?

by Anonymousreply 3701/14/2013

I thought Amy Adams was over. How did she get an Oscar nomination?

by Anonymousreply 3801/14/2013

I'm beginning to understand why every time I hear her talk, I want to slap the shit out of her.

She's just so gosh-darned earnest while she's insulting people to make herself look good.

by Anonymousreply 3901/14/2013

It's well-known in Hollywood that actors don't like being reminded of embarrassing roles and movies from their past. That's why Sally Field look stunned last night when Ann started babbling about The Flying Nun. I'm surprised she didn't mention "Smokey and the Bandit" why she was at it.

by Anonymousreply 4001/14/2013

Why didn't Anne also mention Gidget while she was at it?

by Anonymousreply 4201/14/2013

[quote]She's not A-list. Most people have never heard of her.

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 4301/14/2013

[quote]Millions of people. She's not THAT famous. She's well-known, yes, but she's not Angelina Jolie or Oprah or Hillary Clinton.

Yes, she is, hon.

by Anonymousreply 4401/14/2013

[quote]Women like Angelina Jolie, The Queen of England, Oprah, Hillary Clinton & others DO.

by Anonymousreply 4501/14/2013

She's such a bore. Give her the award so she finally goes away like Squinty Zellweger did.

by Anonymousreply 4601/14/2013

and don't blame me for this post!!!! I didn't start it!!!

by Anonymousreply 4701/14/2013

Amy Adams over? She's on her 4th Oscar nomination, will probably be nominated next year. Plus she'll be Lois Lane in a little movie called Man of Steel this summer.

by Anonymousreply 4801/14/2013

She's definitely worse than Hitler. I'll give you that.

by Anonymousreply 4901/14/2013

Jennifer Lawrence will lose to Riva or Chastain.

by Anonymousreply 5001/14/2013

[quote]Millions of people. She's not THAT famous. She's well-known, yes, but she's not Angelina Jolie or Oprah or Hillary Clinton.

Fine, you're right, the millions of people who missed the last decade of popular movies and award shows would be unfamiliar with Anne Hathaway.

by Anonymousreply 5101/14/2013

I heard she saws the heads off of gerbils. And that pixie cut from last night's awards? Oi vey!

by Anonymousreply 5201/14/2013

[quote]She's the biggest actress in the world right now

Are you serious?

by Anonymousreply 5301/14/2013

[quote]She's on her 4th Oscar nomination, will probably be nominated next year.

What will she be nominated for next year?

by Anonymousreply 5401/14/2013

[quote]Amy Adams over? She's on her 4th Oscar nomination

Has it really been that many? I hadn't noticed. Probably because most Americans wouldn't know who she was if they tripped over her at the Supermarket.

by Anonymousreply 5501/14/2013

I think the amount of negative talk here about her is perfectly in proportion to the absurd public push that has happened. The talk has been for almost eight months non-stop about how she had the Oscar in the bag.

It's profoundly insulting to the other actresses that gave arguably better performances, and that's why she's getting pushback here.

The pro-Anne trolls need to get over it. When she is no longer declared the predetermined winner and doesn't appear so desperate in public and performance persona, then maybe there won't be so much noise, but for now, you Anne shills are just going to have to deal with the fact that we don't like her. We really, really don't.

by Anonymousreply 5601/14/2013

[quote]Has it really been that many? I hadn't noticed. Probably because most Americans wouldn't know who she was if they tripped over her at the Supermarket.

Gotta love DL. If you recognize her you would be calling her a famewhore. If not, she gets a snippy little dismissive remark like this.

by Anonymousreply 5701/14/2013

[quote]What will she be nominated for next year?

She's got another David O. Russell movie with Christian Bale plus the Janis Joplin biopic.

by Anonymousreply 5801/14/2013

"I think the amount of negative talk here about her is perfectly in proportion to the absurd public push that has happened."

Yes, she's been all over the media for the last couple of months, promoting the hell out of "Les Miz". But she really did need to do that - it was a hell of a chancy project and she was the most famous person involved, and any studio would expect her to do a lot of publicity.

And any studio would also push a "prestige" project like that for all the Oscars in the world, including one for the extremely famous person doing a supporting role. So hate if you're going to hate, but don't pretend that she's done anything unusual in publicizing her film and wanting an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 5901/14/2013

As the resident DL essayist, I'm considering the title for my next piece to be:

Ann Hathaway: How Dropping an E Made Us Low: The Anti-Love Story of America's Chicklet Toothed Princess.

by Anonymousreply 6001/14/2013

[quote]But she really did need to do that - it was a hell of a chancy project and she was the most famous person involved, and any studio would expect her to do a lot of publicity.

That's arguable. I tend to think Russell Crowe is more famous.

by Anonymousreply 6201/14/2013

"Sally, I think about all the crones you've helped with your Boniva commercials and I'm amazed and inspired."

by Anonymousreply 6301/14/2013

OP doesn't know what "jump the shark" means. And Hathaway is A-Lisf. Probably higher than Jolie. Hathaway was Cat Woman for chrissakes. What has Jolie done lately?

by Anonymousreply 6401/14/2013

R62, a Hollywood publicist would have considered both Crowe and Jackman to be has-beens before this film was released, Hathaway would be the hot property after her success in "Batman". So she would be asked, expected, to do some heavy lifting on the publicity front. And if they pushed her for an Oscar, that would be considered to be a good way to promote the film, and an appropriate "Thank you" to someone who'd done all the aspects of her job so well.

So tell me, is Crowe still a has-been or not?

by Anonymousreply 6501/14/2013

It's not like DL has a pet hatred of this woman. Here are some other comments about her at the GG

by Anonymousreply 6601/14/2013

She was the butt of some pretty pointed jokes last night (even reporters in the press room were snarking on her on Twitter).

by Anonymousreply 6701/14/2013

Why was she mauling Amanda Seyfried throughout the producer's acceptance speech when Les Miz won best comedy/musical?

by Anonymousreply 6801/14/2013

[quote]What has Jolie done lately?

Well, apart from the fact that Jolie is already an Oscar winner and multiple nominee, she's been a UN ambassador and is part of the most famous celebrity couple on the planet.

by Anonymousreply 6901/14/2013

Anne Hathaway's face is aesthetically difficult to look at. Her features are too bold for that tiny head of her's and that pixie haircut only accentuates them.

by Anonymousreply 7001/14/2013

I found r70's OK Cupid profile picture!

by Anonymousreply 7101/14/2013

R68 Because she brushed her aside about 5 seconds before. Anne has done that a couple of times during the last month. Then realizes people are watching.

by Anonymousreply 7201/14/2013

R71 that's pretty damn close to how Anne Hathaway looked to me last night.

by Anonymousreply 7301/14/2013

Jennifer Lawrence is getting read for filth by some outlets over the Streep joke.

My favorite by Nikki Finke:

This young gal already knows how Hollywood really works. “Harvey, thank you for killing whoever you had to kill to get me up here today.” But she shouldn’t have taken Saint Streep’s name in vain. (“I beat Meryl…”) Commenter believes Jennifer was quoting the lines from The First Wives Club. Jeez, even I’m not old enough to remember that moldy oldie comedy from 1996

by Anonymousreply 7401/14/2013

[quote]I think her speech last night and her subsequent "OH, I have to thank my manager" hurt her Oscar chances.

I think the general raving about her performance will hurt her too. The Academy likes to get contrary, which means they will inevitably wind up giving her an Oscar for some totally shit role, as a make good.

They're all as bad as each other. I think she's really on thin ice for a deserved Oscar. It was a memorable performance, whether your loathe her big mouth or not.

by Anonymousreply 7501/14/2013

Because Gidget doesn't bother Sally Field, The Flying Nun does. It's the role that she's ashamed she was forced to do.

by Anonymousreply 7601/14/2013

Because Ann is the only one that brings it up or even cares. Anything that can give her a "ME ME ME" moment.

by Anonymousreply 7701/14/2013

What is so bad about The Flying Nun?

by Anonymousreply 7801/14/2013

Finke is an idiot. Lawrence even added the "What does it say?" just like Midler in the film. It was funny.

The Harvey Weinstein jab was more outrageous, and got a bigger laugh.

by Anonymousreply 7901/14/2013

Anne thinks she's ascended from 'entertainment' to 'art'. Hence the Flying Nun analogy. Pretentious self regarding madam.

by Anonymousreply 8001/14/2013

[quote]OP doesn't know what "jump the shark" means. And Hathaway is A-Lisf. Probably higher than Jolie. Hathaway was Cat Woman for chrissakes. What has Jolie done lately?

by Anonymousreply 8101/14/2013

I agree, she's a CUNT!

by Anonymousreply 8201/14/2013

I've not seen Les Miz but Anne's rendition of the Dream song sounded like a parody SNL skit. Does she really scream "HE TOOK MY CHILDHOOD IN HIS STRIDE!"?

by Anonymousreply 8301/14/2013

enough about this ugly, overrated bitch!

by Anonymousreply 8401/14/2013

Sally hated the show because 1) the show was cheesy and she hated it 2) she was young and led to believe if she didn't do it, she'd never work again 3) it made her a laughing stock and would take her years to recover from the idea, both by the public and the industry, that that was all she could do.

by Anonymousreply 8501/14/2013

Oh and Ann knew all of the above in R85 and knew that Sally hates any mention of the show and still made the comment... making her a transparent cunt.

by Anonymousreply 8601/14/2013

It isn't just negative talk is all over twitter too.

by Anonymousreply 8701/14/2013

I agree with R85. In interviews, Sally F. has opened up about about her disappointment over The Flying Nun decades after the fact, so that information has been out in the public for a while. I'm sure she has a sense of humor about it and can laugh at herself, but the real question is why did Anne bring it up at all? Anne and Sally F. are not equal peers. It's yet another instance of Anne's poor judgment from within whatever theater bubble she's in, or worse - it's a sadistic last grab for AA votes using free association "anchors": You don't rally want to cast your vote for The Flying Nun do you?!

Here Anne just comes off like any jealous cutthroat bitch at a cocktail mixer throwing subliminal shade.

by Anonymousreply 8801/15/2013

R21, in that clip, when Anne singles out Sally for "being a vanguard against typecasting," is Helen Hunt's smirk one of, "God, is this bitch for real?" I noticed during that roundtable thing, she sat next to Hathaway and seemed to be annoyed by her.

by Anonymousreply 8901/15/2013

do you have a link to this round table thing r89?

by Anonymousreply 9001/15/2013

worse than any speech was anne trying to look humble with her sitting in the audience reaction shots. She was so bad at it, that any acting award should be snatched away immediately.

by Anonymousreply 9101/15/2013

She was just nervous, y'all. Give it a rest.

by Anonymousreply 9201/15/2013

why should we listen to you r92?

by Anonymousreply 9301/15/2013

I would LOVE to see Anne play Judy Garland in a biopic.

by Anonymousreply 9401/15/2013

it's been done r94....

by Anonymousreply 9501/15/2013

My favorite post on Celebitchy was "Blarf. She makes me stabby. Hate the dress, too." It sounds like it was written by Hannibal Lechter, yet so true!

by Anonymousreply 9601/15/2013

[quote]Anne Hathaway's face is aesthetically difficult to look at. Her features are too bold for that tiny head of her's and that pixie haircut only accentuates them

Yeah, bitch stole my look.

by Anonymousreply 9701/15/2013

she's twee

by Anonymousreply 9801/15/2013

You're right R98 I forgot. There's a pap. shot of her on the street wearing animal gloves.

by Anonymousreply 9901/15/2013

ITA that the flying nun mention was a "mean girl" backhanded complement. It would be like someone unnecessarily mentioning that a nobel prize winner, "bless her heart," once worked the ho stroll to make a buck.

What. A. Bitch.

by Anonymousreply 10001/15/2013

It really does come down to "is that bitch for real?" I think she is. Real. Unfortunately.

There are people who just have really bad timing, make out of place statements, display transparent childish humility and all out awkward prissy goofiness. I think Anne is one of those. Socially uncool. A bit of a loser, not so bright. Unbearable, but not mean in her hardy heart. Hart. She could survive a ten year abduction and marry and have twins soon after.

What she said about Sally Field made me spit and yet I don't think she intended to be a bitch or disrespectful. She has zero finesse or insight. The princess diary movies, two mainstream big budget introducing "Anne" films are similar to her as the Gidget and the Flying Nun whatever they were on the TV for old Sally.

She is a lot like Paltrow as many say. But she is more humble with even less self awareness. Fashion plate? Paltrow is way more elegant at the least. Better actress too. Better singer.

Sally Field must be a better actress than Hathaway, but I refuse to sit long enough to judge. Anne was given the Oscar part, I guess? I love Les Miz, yes I do, but would never go see a film of it. Me and my man made out heavy at the play. Twice. Second time I cried. These collective experiences will get Anne her Oscar. Fantine makes people cry.

Hathaway is kind of gauche, a word I am too young for but there isn't a better one. Nerd. Creepy. Obnoxious. Icky girly and not cool. Silk socks and no sex as we italian boys say.

I know that all actors are self important but only a truly inadequate personality can attempt graciousness while exuding entitlement and superiority. I don't like the word bitch, but that chick is fucking dreadful and hideous in her awkwardness. Tough boy rolls his eyes.

I agree with someone upthread - let Anne have her place with Zelwegger and Jennifer Hudson and Monique. She will win the supporting Oscar. This one and never another. She is not talented enough or insightful enough to do better. Her roles have been crazy bad.

Jennifer Lawrence will also win the Oscar and we will hear the fiction of her beauty repeated as many times as the fiction of Hathaway's greatness. My ass is better than that statue.

Give everything to Julianne Moore for Christ sake. That woman is a real actress.

by Anonymousreply 10101/15/2013

I think the Flying Nun comment was really just ignorant and stupid, not a mean girl comment. Remember, she's in a bubble, and thinks of Sally Field as inspiring, why not mention any old thing that contributes to the argument that Field has a large range?

by Anonymousreply 10201/15/2013

[quote]The princess diary movies, two mainstream big budget introducing "Anne" films are similar to her as the Gidget and the Flying Nun whatever they were on the TV for old Sally.

Hathaway comparing her two PRINCESS DIARIES movies with Field's first two TV roles is not the same thing. GIDGET and THE FLYING NUN were fluff and made Field an industry joke. It took her years to get over that stigma, which she finally did with the telefilm SYBIL. And even then, she had to fight for the role. Whereas PRINCESS DIARIES and its sequel were major motion pictures and big hits, and put Hathaway on the map. I don't understand why she bitches about these movies. They have never been a millstone in her career, like GIDGET and THE FLYING NUN were to Field. She has worked various genres, even dramas not long after PRINCESS DIARIES. Nobody cares that she was in a Disney princess movie.

by Anonymousreply 10301/15/2013

um, you kind of missed and made my point. r103

by Anonymousreply 10401/15/2013

Reading this thread, I think its fascinating that the narcissism and vanity that used to thrill us in movie stars (Taylor, Monroe) is now completely off-putting to the culture at large. We know too much now, and we also know that an actor like Hathaway hasn't made that much of a contribution, so her self-importance feels strange and off-putting.

In today's media age, when we can see them drinking their own kool-aid, they're ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 10501/15/2013

I still don't understand why everyone considers The Flying Nun to be so awful. If Ann really wanted to be crass she could have mentioned Sally's Boniva commercials.

by Anonymousreply 10601/15/2013

Sally really blew Ann the kiss of death.

by Anonymousreply 10701/15/2013

Let's be honest -- the GGs are really the final callback for the Oscars. It's a chance to see who looks "presidential." Jennifer Laerence, Jessica Chastain passed. Ann failed. The moment she did that to Sally not only did I think "you've just lost the Oscar" but I also thought she was trying to steal Sally's 3 decade-old narrative. And Sally STILL has a better narrative with Lincoln: she is 20 years older than MTL AND she's 10 years older (11, really) than DDL. That is a triumph in itself! And her performance has been justly praised - she didn't just sit there feeling sorry for herself for 5 min. In a single take, she fought for her role and held her own opposite DDL. I think the SAG award will be hers. If SAG, especially the female members, doesn't celebrate Sally's triumph - promotion of which only behooves them and builds upon the longevity that has changed perceptions and been won by Meryl Streep and the women of SATC.

Lastly would somebody please create a ,gif of Ann Hathaway getting mowed down by a truck? Pretty please?

by Anonymousreply 10801/15/2013

I would actually be a little surprised now if AH wins that Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 10901/15/2013

[quote]Let's be honest -- the GGs are really the final callback for the Oscars. It's a chance to see who looks "presidential." Jennifer Laerence, Jessica Chastain passed. Ann failed.

Sally Hawkins won almost every best actress award from the critics for "Happy Go Lucky", when she won the globe, went on stage, looked anorexic and was soo nervous that Emma Thompson asked her if she needed help, she was toast. She failed to get an oscar nomination a couple of weeks later.

by Anonymousreply 11001/15/2013

R102, it was the height of arrogance to stand on stage with an award and to remind the beloved actress she bested of her most embarrassing moment in show business. Sally even said during the THR Roundtable that the lowest point of The Flying Nun was when she was talked into "flying" on stage at the Golden Globes and she said she was too young and inexperienced to say no - and that she just wanted to be respected.

Why Ann Hathaway thinks starring in two big budget Disney movies about a princess was some hardship for a 17 year-old actress is beyond me. And right in front of Jodie Foster who proudly describes herself as "a Disney girl" and continued to make Disney films after she was nominated for an Oscar for Taxi Driver (her 2nd film with Scorsese). I mean, bitch please. And with Amy Adams in the same category who memorably played a Disney princess in Enchanted.

Plus, her timing was all off anyway. The time to whine about Princess Diaries - if there ever was a time - would've been during Rachel Getting Married. She's already been nominated for a Best Actress Oscar! What's her beef? Ann is a social retard.

Not to mention, Ann Hathaway is probably attached to a big screen remake of The Flying Nun. That's right in her wheelhouse. I would love to see it as long as her Sister Bertrille gets run over by a jumbo jet. They could call it One Day With The Flying Nun.

by Anonymousreply 11101/15/2013

Ann Hathaway wasn't even ALIVE during The Flying Nun! She wasn't even born until 1982!

by Anonymousreply 11201/15/2013

It's all right if Sally wants to diss The Flying Nun but it's not for other people to bring up or speak to. It's a bit like telling someone who asks if they look fat, "Yes." Only much worse.

by Anonymousreply 11301/15/2013

Hathaway is Hollywood's Tracy Flick.

by Anonymousreply 11401/15/2013

Absolutely correct. For anyone to think that Ann didn't know exactly what she was doing has blinders on. As you mentioned, she sat there at the Round Table and listened to Sally talk about how the Flying Nun was one of the worst periods of her life.

And everyone knows Sally doesn't like to talk about it or even have the name of the show mentioned.

Ann is an idiot and no one ever brings up the Princess Diaries except for her.

by Anonymousreply 11501/15/2013

The only way I think they should give Ann Hathaway an Oscar is if they take one off the table and bludgeon her to death with it. She is insufferable.

by Anonymousreply 11601/15/2013

Well, Sally really doesn't diss The Flying Nun because she really doesn't even talk about it.

by Anonymousreply 11701/15/2013

Sally and Anne don't deserve to be respected because they think too highly of themselves. There's a question of self-respect and then there's loving yourself to the extent where you feel certain things are below your participation and wanting to play 'light' only when it makes you seem heroic or admirable. These are the worst kind of insipid narcissistic women. I was disgusted by Sally Field's behavior at Shirley Mclaine's AFI when she said "I haven't worked with a lot of legendary women - well HELL, there AREN'T many legendary women." Sally and Anne are just instruments of the emotionally manipulative schmaltz that showcases the worst of Hollywood, the films of which they aspire to participate in because they think it makes them look good and important. They are NOT comedic actresses. They are tragic and consumed with self regard in their quest to be validated and accepted by men. They know nothing and they think nothing.

by Anonymousreply 11801/15/2013

Yeah exactly R117. Sitting there next to Speilberg and DDL...I'm surprised Sally didn't lunge at her and plunge a fork into her.

by Anonymousreply 11901/15/2013

No ones even mentioned her other cringe worthy moment: WHO is SHE to stand up there and describe all the creatives involved in Les Mis as "geeks and misfits"? Hugh Jackman is a misfit? Russell Crowe? Working Title?

You could tell that producer was completely over her.

by Anonymousreply 12001/15/2013

R56,you know what would be amusing (except Sally Field would have too much class): if Sally wins the Oscar (and I am starting to fervently hope she will) and says something like,

(to Hathaway): "well, Anne - I guess this means they don't like you. They really, really, don't like you"!

by Anonymousreply 12101/15/2013

Ann, along with her thinking so highly of herself, suffers from a severe case of "tries to hard to be cool and fit in and fails miserably.

by Anonymousreply 12201/15/2013

Oh GOD... that would be hysterical. I'd sit through Les Mis again if she'd do that.

by Anonymousreply 12301/15/2013

Anne better practice her loser face if she hasn't already.

by Anonymousreply 12401/15/2013

She'll deserve an Oscar if she's successfully able to pull off a "happy" face if anyone else's name is called but hers.

by Anonymousreply 12501/15/2013

Now that would impress me R125. She may make a fan of me yet.

I know what it's like to want something so bad that you can't hide it even if you're trying, and you drive everyone around you nuts. One of the best things that happened was me not getting that thing, though it sure didn't seem like it at the time. Happened in my twenties.

I don't hate AH, I just have only seen this type of unself aware naked desperation in teenagers and people in their early twenties. They get a pass somewhat as their peers are going through the same things. Then stuff happens and you grow up fast and become a better, more bearable person hopefully, and with some perspective. Anne is what, 30?

by Anonymousreply 12601/15/2013

I've never been a fan of her acting (too self-conscious, try too hard) but as a person she seemed like a nice change of pace from some of the other more idiotic starlets around. When she was nominated for Best Actress, they had former winners salute the nominees. Shirley MacLaine did Anne's tribute. You could tell that Hathaway was so honored, moved and just blown away by the fact that MacLaine was giving her praise. It was a very sweet moment. But that was before she was a STAR.

by Anonymousreply 12701/15/2013

[quote] I know what it's like to want something so bad that you can't hide it even if you're trying, and you drive everyone around you nuts. One of the best things that happened was me not getting that thing, though it sure didn't seem like it at the time. Happened in my twenties.

What was it if I might ask?

by Anonymousreply 12801/15/2013

I loved The Flying Nun! I am not aware that Sally Field is "embarrassed" about her early iconic success, and if she is, she's being silly.

I met Sandy Duncan after seeing her in a play a few years ago. Her bio was extensive and included pre-fame church and amateur credits, it was really cute. After our introduction, I fake scolded her for having omitted "Million Dollar Duck", a great Disney movie opposite Dean Jones, and she gasped. "No, I didn't! Why it's right here (grabbing my program).....What? I can't believe I forgot it, I love that movie!" She owned all of her credits, and something tells me Sally is fine when people say they enjoyed The Flying Nun.

by Anonymousreply 12901/15/2013

Is there a transcript of her acceptance speech? I tried to watch it and just can't.

by Anonymousreply 13001/15/2013

The thing I lost out on was just a certain man's love, which is fine now because that was a poweless feeling. I tried to be vague with the language because I see that same torturous desperation in AH. It comes through in her statements taken as a whole. I think that she thinks that if she does not get this Oscar, she may go crazy or maybe she has not imagined beyond that because it's too scary. At least if you die, maybe you get to surrender right?

People like AH are more fascinating to watch off screen.

by Anonymousreply 13101/15/2013

Transcript of Ann's Speech:

ME ME ME ME ME ME take a dig at Sally Field and at the same time relate it back to ME ME ME ME ME ME.

And then wait to jump on the Microphone again when it's not my turn and:

by Anonymousreply 13201/15/2013

Well problem is if Ann loses that's all we're going to hear about 3 years from now. She'll be all over the press giving interviews about how it was the worst period of time in her life... how it nearly destroyed her... she couldn't get out of bed... and then she realized the importance of blah blah blah and she became so enlightened.. blah blah blah.

by Anonymousreply 13301/15/2013

"Wait, who hasn't heard of Anne Hathaway? Just because you don't like her doesn't mean she isn't famous!"

William Shakespeare's wife?

by Anonymousreply 13401/15/2013

I think distinction to be made here, with the Flying Nun, is that Sally isn't embarrassed at all with having done it, and has a great sense of humor about herself...but that she didn't like that this role put her in the position of not being taken seriously in the industry.

These are two different things, and I understand both perspective.

I honestly think that Anne, as much as I am annoyed by her, meant nothing but respect for Sally when saying all that. She was referring to the struggle of coming out of being known for a light comedic role, and somehow launching a career as a serious actress out of it, against the oddes - in a time when women had far LESS power than they do now in this still very misogynistic industry.

Now, what's really annoying about Anne here is the fact that she would even compare herself to Field in the first place. This is a different time altogether, and there is no comparison at all for Anne to cling to, in her fame grab. As many had mentioned in this thread already, her struggle to go from a Disney Princess to a serious young actress wasn't much of a struggle at just took a little bit of luck and patience, and she is honestly talented. I thought she was marvelous in Rachel Getting Married, playing a young rich girl who has issues with her family and herself. Hello? It's her in a nutshell.

But yeah, this performance of Fantine can't be award worthy, when it's really a short sale, and requires one note - self pity - from the character.

by Anonymousreply 13601/15/2013

In my example of lost love, there was eventually freedom in acceptance; the person didn't love me enough or whatever, the end. In a case like Anne's, she has year after year of staying on that wheel, making movies and chasing that idol. So there is no cut and dry reality to face, which IMO can forestall maturity.

So in this case, AH losing the thing she covets may not present the opportunity for maximum growth; here, if she gets the award, she may find that her emotional problems aren't solved and it's not a great enough source of narcissistic supply, and perhaps nothing is.

by Anonymousreply 13701/15/2013

I hereby 'oh dear' myself for my typos, good lord.

by Anonymousreply 13801/15/2013

She should do like Joaquin Pheonix did -act like you don't want it and they will give it to you anyway. It worked for George C Scott and Marlon Brando....

by Anonymousreply 13901/15/2013

Well, to add to that, Sally, by her own accounts also admits she hated it because she knew it wasn't something she wanted to do or should have done but was convinced to do it for fear she'd never work again.. she was also miserable while filming it (I believe she's referenced that she gained a large amount of weight while filming because she hated the role so much).

So, that coupled with the struggle she had after, is why she hates that show. I don't think she even utters the title of it.

by Anonymousreply 14001/15/2013

She's got a handful of days to grow some whiskers and create a bizarre alternate persona - that sings hip hop!

by Anonymousreply 14101/15/2013

Just watched the whole speech for the first time. It's so cringeworthy. She tries a couple of jokes and bombs badly.

by Anonymousreply 14201/15/2013

And sadly you know she rehearsed those jokes for daaaaaaays. Her people must really hate her as much as everyone else does to not tell her.

by Anonymousreply 14301/15/2013

Well R135 I admit it's projection so it's no big deal. I don't know if I'm right, I'm just explaining what interest AH holds - I want to see what happens next. So what.

by Anonymousreply 14401/15/2013

There's an interview with several of the ladies on another thread and Sally says she HATED doing The Flying Nun- that she got fat from eating out of despair - she's very funny talking about it, but she has nothing good to say about the experience.

Re Anne - she was praising Field and didn't compare herself to Fiekd at all.

That said, her grab of the microphone later was obnoxious. I hope that kills off her Oscar chances.

by Anonymousreply 14501/15/2013

Watching the Golden Globes completely I'm starting to think Les Miserables sponsored the Golden Globe Awards.

by Anonymousreply 14601/15/2013

R144, I don't think you need to defend yourself at all. You expressed yourself very well and though I'm sure it's quite the same as Ann's raw ambition, it's the wanting it so badly that you're talking about and the way it distorts one's behavior. I thought it was well said and added an interesting dimension but Ann Hathaway has ALWAYS been cringe worthy and obnoxious. Did you see her host the Oscars?

by Anonymousreply 14701/15/2013

I would disagree and say she totally compared herself to field... at best she related Field's experience to her own imagined, non-existent one, which is completely insulting to what Field actually had to go through.

by Anonymousreply 14801/15/2013

R136, you're wrong about The Flying Nun and the impact it had on Sally's career. I said before, it's okay if she wants to pick at the scab or stick her finger in the wound but it's misguided for someone else to think they can stand up in front of all of Hollywood and reference it.

Ann could use about 5 - 7 years in group therapy.

by Anonymousreply 14901/15/2013

[quote]You expressed yourself very well and though I'm sure it's quite the same as Ann's raw ambition...

It should be "...not quite the same..."

by Anonymousreply 15001/15/2013

AnnE is truly insufferable.

From Jane Fonda's blog:

[quote]At the CAA party on Friday I hugged and congratulated Anne Hathaway who recently did a magnificent job emceeing the Women’s Media Center gala in NY and wowed everyone with her intelligence. She told Robert Deniro about One Billion Rising that will take place around the world this coming Valentine’s Day, Feb 14th. She said, “Robert, one billion women in the world are rape or beaten in their life times. One billion people, women and the men who love them, will rise up to dance, sing, strike,raise their voices to say “enough.” Join us. You don’t have to do a fancy dance, just get out there somewhere and sway your hips and rise with us.” He had that funny, bemused, crooked smile of his, but seemed open to the idea.

Even Fonda wanted Sally to win (as an Academy member I hope it means she will vote for her):

[quote]After the show we went to the HBO post-Globes party where we sat with Jeff Daniels and Sam Waterson. I love and admire them them both so much and so many friends came by to chat: Michael J. Fox and his wife and son, Sally Field who is one of my dearest friends and who I wish had won Best Actress, Jeremy Irons, P. Diddy and many others.

by Anonymousreply 15101/15/2013

Gawd, I can just imagine Hathaway panting desperately in front of Stanley and Iris.

by Anonymousreply 15201/15/2013

R147 -

No I did not see that AA show. People said that it brought to mind that Rob Lowe Disney intro abomination. Was it really that bad? But I think I will tune in this year.

by Anonymousreply 15301/15/2013

I remember reading somewhere that Hathaway was raped when she was in college. This was an article prior to her Princess Diary movie.

by Anonymousreply 15401/15/2013

Never heard of that before. I think if it were to have happened she'd certainly have talked about it much more.

by Anonymousreply 15501/15/2013

The behavior of Hathaway and her ilk (Kate WInslet, I'm looking at you) makes you realize just how classy someone like Amy Adams is.

by Anonymousreply 15801/15/2013

I saw that this morning. Buh bye Academy Award.

by Anonymousreply 15901/15/2013

If AnnE had been raped she would be shouting it from the rooftops in her quest for the Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 16001/15/2013

I'm not getting caught up in anything. All I said was that if that happened to her, she'd have talked about it more. If it was brought up once before her first major film came out, you don't think she would have brought it up again at least once after?

And if there's a "character" of Anne she's made that character up so she can't fault anyone if that's all they see.

Spare me.

by Anonymousreply 16101/15/2013

Go clutch your pearls. Such righteous comments from someone posting about her flashing her tits.

by Anonymousreply 16201/15/2013

The only time I've ever felt AnnE was authentic was during the Oscars where she was nominated for the junkie movie. I don't recall which Oscar winner spoke to her from the stage but AnnE seemed genuine at the time.

by Anonymousreply 16301/15/2013

Oh Lord. Anyone who is pathetic enough to resort to shouting on an internet board that he has a huge cock... doesn't.

by Anonymousreply 16601/15/2013

The other nominees in that category don't seem to have a blanketing campaign going on. Makes me want to read their recent interviews.

by Anonymousreply 17101/15/2013

Amy Adams is also pretty boring, but she actually looked good last night. She fixed her hair.

by Anonymousreply 17201/15/2013

I'm not an Amy fan, never have been... but I like her much better than that insufferable Ann.

I'm also starting to like Amy a little more after her Roundtable appearance. She was finally not boring.

by Anonymousreply 17301/15/2013

First you take issues with the whole rape discussion and bitching that people forget she's a "actual" human being? And now you want to name her rape baby?

And stupid.

Why the hell do we need to play a game? Everyone knows she wouldn't name her kid anything but ANNE.

by Anonymousreply 17401/15/2013

The fact that you only "kind of" love me shows you don't have better tastes.

by Anonymousreply 17701/15/2013

I wonder if these nominees self medicate with something to prevent that humiliating, televised tearful upset. Xanax? Can't mix that with alcohol though.

by Anonymousreply 17801/15/2013

Or Fannetine... you know, just to remind us.

by Anonymousreply 17901/15/2013

Hey OP, one question: Is it the shark that's insufferable or Anne?

by Anonymousreply 18001/15/2013

OP sounds like Adam Shulman after the honeymoon.

by Anonymousreply 18101/15/2013

The husband is boring, too.

by Anonymousreply 18201/15/2013

Playbill on line reporting that Hathaway in talks to do a remake of The Taming of the Shrew.

by Anonymousreply 18301/15/2013

Amy Adams may be quiet now but she did a pretty spectacular hustle for her JUNEBUG nomination tour. Granted she needed to work like that because nobody knew who she was and it was a small movie. Hathaway needs to relax because she has the PR machine, stardom, prior nomination, etc. I agree with R158 about Kate Winslet too.

I forgot Adams was even nominated but after reading this thread I hope she wins. Why not? This is like her 4th (?) nomination. Besides it would be hilarious to see Anne's reaction to 'And the Oscar goes to AAAmy Adams.'

by Anonymousreply 18401/15/2013

by Anonymousreply 18501/15/2013

The Best Actor and Actress awards should always be presented like this, if only so Sophia Loren can own it.

by Anonymousreply 18601/15/2013

R70, I've been saying this about Anne for years. She's like a prettier version of Chelsea Clinton, who has the same problem. But Anne is still weird-looking.

Would it not be funny if Anne didn't win Oscar night and threw a tantrum and ran out of the theater?

by Anonymousreply 18701/15/2013

I don't think she's weird looking. I watched The Devil Wears Prada (again) last night. Sometimes she looked beautiful, sometimes not. She can be ... striking. Which is more important than beautiful when you're an actress.

Bette Davis, Meryl Streep...not classically beautiful. Some people have a "relationship" with the camera.

Sorry, I'm tired and not being very articulate.

by Anonymousreply 18801/15/2013

Eddie Murphy threw and tantrum and left, why not Anne?

I sincerely hope Anne doesn't win. She will mature and grow more as a person. Right now she is ugly. Her behavior, her character, her personality. Ugly. She needs some character building defeat. She needs public humiliation.

She will be insufferable if she wins. Obnoxious. She really will not know how to handle it. She already can't handle it and she's only nominated.

I understand this is like being elected prom Queen your senior year. It's the pinnacle in her line of work. But it is not the cure for cancer.

It's something to aspire to. It's something she should thing about in a different context. Right now she is an ass. As bad as Kate Winslet & Natalie Portman were Anne Hathaway is worse.

by Anonymousreply 18901/15/2013

Mo'nique copped a serious diva attitude after her Oscar win and now NO ONE wants to work with her. Maybe the same will happen to Anne.

by Anonymousreply 19001/15/2013

by Anonymousreply 19101/15/2013

I predict that AnnE will will an Oscar this year, which will provoke even more pretentious and precious behavior from her. But once you get to the top the only way forward is down. Hollywood gets sick of everyone and they will get sick of her (she's making it easy, too).

by Anonymousreply 19201/15/2013

E130, you owe me, but here goes:

[quote]Blurg. Um, thanks for that word, Tina. Um... oh, my gosh, this is happening. Uh... uh, to the Hollywood Foreign Press, thank you so much for (inhale) having me in this room... full of extraordinary artists that have... changed my life with their work. Um, thank you for this lovely blunt object that I will forevermore use as a weapon against self doubt. Um... and thank you for putting me... my work... in this category with great and gutsy actresses... Amy, Nicole, Helen, and Sally. Sally... um, I have to thank you so much for being a vanguard against typecasting (smirk from Helen Hunt) because as the girl who started out as the Princess of Genovia, I can't tell you how encouraging it was to know that THE FLYING NUN grew up to be NORMA RAE (uneasy smile on Sally) and grew up to be Mama Gump and grew up to be Mary Todd Lincoln, so thank you so much. (audience claps, Sally blows Anne kiss, but I like to think it was a kiss of death, haha). Um... I... okay, I'll wrap it up... Um, I just want to thank my mother, who I saw perform this role when I was eight. I want to thank the creators of the show, Working Title, and Universal for making an unapologetic, sincere, live sung-through musical. I'm sure that was an easy decision. Um... and I have to thank our cast, who are fearless and impossibly talented. Our crew, who deserve this special award for pretending they liked live singing at 7am. And, um, who Hugh Jackman, my friend, you were brilliant in this role, I love you! Tom Hooper, I will not damage your reputation as an aloof Englishman by telling everyone that when I was crying on set you were crying right along with me. I won't tell anyone that. Your secret is totally safe with me. Thank you, thank you so much for everything you gave me. To my family who are everything to me, and my husband, honey, you make everyday better than the last and thank you for the best strings of yesterdays I have ever had. I love you! Thank you Hollywood Foreign Press!

by Anonymousreply 19301/15/2013

I think I threw up in my mouth a little.

by Anonymousreply 19401/15/2013

Oh, most acceptance speeches are a window into a session with their therapist.

Almost all of 'em make me puke.

by Anonymousreply 19501/15/2013

by Anonymousreply 19601/15/2013

Aside from the ridiculous basic premise of THE FLYING NUN, the show was actually quite good -- well written and very well acted by all involved.

by Anonymousreply 19701/15/2013

That was supposed to be for R130, btw.

by Anonymousreply 19801/15/2013

Aw, that wasn't so bad.

by Anonymousreply 19901/15/2013

by Anonymousreply 20001/15/2013

It sounds pretty fakerooo

by Anonymousreply 20101/15/2013

Anne has no jobs lined up. Will she just stay at home with her Oscar from now on?

by Anonymousreply 20201/15/2013

by Anonymousreply 20301/15/2013

I really like her.

by Anonymousreply 20501/15/2013

All this analysis over her. Here’s what I believe: bitch is fake. No better than the rest of them. I totally believe the rumors about her and Bale fucking, and other gossip that said she’s stepped out before. Smoke = fire. Whenever I see her being so over the top I immediately think, she’s hiding something. And her people and all their pap ops and planted stories are helping her hide it.

Remember the last obnoxious Oscar campaign? Portman. What was going on in her life at that same time that was a big story: her pregnancy. And what later became the focus of so much gossip and speculation that hasn’t abated even to this day? I see parallels.

We’ll be in for some surprises when this is over and people around AnnE start to talk.

by Anonymousreply 20601/15/2013

Both the Flying Nun and Gidget are on Antenna TV. I can see why she might have had problems getting typecast afterwards, but you can see she has that "it" factor even then. While the shows aren't high art, they are better than the tween shows that populate the Disney channel now.

One thing I noticed about Gidget is Peter Duel. He has a small part, but he had a charisma and comedic timing that elevated him from being the generic brother-in-law. He had a lot of potential. Repeats of Alias Smith and Jones and noticing how Ben Murphy's jeans fit were early signs that I did not at the time understand.

by Anonymousreply 20701/15/2013

People bitch about soap threads and Golden Girls threads, and yet Anne threads must outnumber them at least 5:1 these days.

by Anonymousreply 20801/16/2013

At least we're not stalking her like they do on the Harry Styles and Frank Ocean threads.

by Anonymousreply 20901/16/2013

Oh come on! AnnE looked like a big tampon in that dress at the Globes.

by Anonymousreply 21001/16/2013

Yeah, when they played her version of IDAD to cover her walk to the mic and that flat note on "...he took my childhood in his STRIDE" rang out it sounded really bum.

by Anonymousreply 21101/16/2013

[quote] Anne Hateaway: Robert, one billion women in the world are rape or beaten in their life times.

She doesn't even include the millions of women raped AFTER their life times.

So biased. So entitled. So uncommitted.

And those victims can't dance and sing and shake their maracas like Anne's precious LIVE victims.

What a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 21201/16/2013

Sorry, but what's with the rape comments? There's a reference I'm not getting....

by Anonymousreply 21301/16/2013

That gasping and gurgling sound everone's hearing in the Hollywood Hills right now is the death rattle of Anne Hathaway's Oscar hopes after her disastrous Golden Globes speech insulting Sally Field. There is an unwritten code of conduct amongst actors that you can, of course, stab someone in the back until the cows come home if it will give you a leg up, but it is done behind the scenes. You, however, never publicly embarass another actor in front of a worldwide auduence like Anne knowingly did to Sally "The Flying Nun" Field. It was shocking to industry veterans, even in this town of low standards.

by Anonymousreply 21401/16/2013

R214 is correct, it's probably no Oscar for AnnE this year.

In another industry she might have gotten away with taking a shot like that at one of her betters but not in Hollywood. If Hathaway miraculously manages to scrape by and get it this year, it's the last one she'll see. No Best Actress ever.

If she loses this year, as she should, she may be able to rehab her image and snag one another year.

by Anonymousreply 21501/16/2013

Did she really bring up "The Flying Nun" to insult her? I just thought she was trying to suck up to her, fake as it was.

by Anonymousreply 21601/16/2013

You know whose GG speech I adored, ironically since she is not even in the movie biz --- Adele. She can teach Hathaway a thing or two about being down to earth but I guess when you're that talented, you don't need much of an ego to prove you 'belong':

by Anonymousreply 21701/16/2013

Love Adele. Loved her speech. And basically, love everything about her. She doesn't take any of it seriously and that's why she's so refreshing.

Both Ann and Taylor Swift should be taking notes.

Bonus that Adele pisses the fuck off of Taylor.

I know that Swift whines to her team about how Adele gets so many accolades as a singer/songwriter... more than she does.

It's amazing that Taylor doesn't realize that Adele writes real songs.

I completely forget that there's only a year and a half age difference between them. It just reminds you how immature Swift is.

by Anonymousreply 21801/16/2013

Oh, Adele has to try harder. She's chunky.

by Anonymousreply 21901/16/2013

R216, I don't give a shit about ugly Anne Hathaway but I didn't see the Flying Nun mention as an insult. I thought she was sucking up too.

by Anonymousreply 22001/16/2013

It was a backhanded complement, R216.

It's like my mother-in-law, who always brings up the fact that her son (my husband) never finished college, "yet he's done so well." The last time we visited she even said it was "such a shame" he never got his degree. He's 50 y/o and has accomplished things she can't even fathom. If she knew how much money he makes she would choke. But she always has to get in her little dig.

by Anonymousreply 22101/16/2013

[quote][R216], I don't give a shit about ugly Anne Hathaway but I didn't see the Flying Nun mention as an insult. I thought she was sucking up too.

I think Hathaway is too self-absorbed to even know the difference. She doesn't strike me as too bright, either. Verbose, but vapid.

by Anonymousreply 22201/16/2013

But wouldn't it be weird for her to publicly insult Sally Field?

by Anonymousreply 22301/16/2013

Hathaway did it because she is full of herself. She's the type who thinks she's smarter than everyone else and that everyone else is an idiot. She believed she could say it and get away with it without anyone catching what she was really doing.

From the looks of it, she accomplished that with a few people.

by Anonymousreply 22401/16/2013

On the actress roundtable she offered up that she was writing a script for Sally, where Sally was a spy! Sally gave a wtf look in return. I'm not a fan of AnnE's acting, but clearly she hasn't been coached well by her handlers. She's always done crappy interviews and her real self to me is more clueless and vapid than any malevolent plotting. She's stupid not evil.

by Anonymousreply 22501/16/2013

[quote]On the actress roundtable she offered up that she was writing a script for Sally, where Sally was a spy! Sally gave a wtf look in return

Seriously?! Talk about gauche. Reminds me of when I was 12 and I asked s teacher if she would star in my Loch Ness Monster extravaganza. I then proceeded to tell her what the story was about, including her death scene when she's eaten by the monster. Needless to say, she was appalled at the details of her on-screen death. I didn't think anything of it at the time, but looking back I cringe at the thought. I certainly had no social skills. Back to AnnE, I don't think she realizes how she comes off to people. Either she's been sheltered all her life or she has no self-awareness.

by Anonymousreply 22601/16/2013

Or she's just completely self-absorbed and tries to bring every discussion back to her.

That RT comment of her writing a script for Sally was just another example of her having to make the discussion about her favorite subject.. her.

by Anonymousreply 22701/16/2013

Actually I found the worst part about "I wrote a script for you where you're a spy" was when she said "I mean, it was great because, who would ever think you'd be a spy?"

and then to go on TV and say "you BROKE the mould for typecasting!!"

by Anonymousreply 22801/16/2013

Why the FUCK would Anne Hathaway get up onstage in front of millions and INSULT Sally Field when she's trying to win an Oscar? You dudes are idiots. This wasn't an insult or backhanded compliment. It was pure theatrical up sucking.

by Anonymousreply 22901/16/2013

Because she, like you, is a moron.

by Anonymousreply 23001/16/2013

recent Supporting Actress winners....

Jennifer Connelly, Renee Zellweger, Jennifer Hudson, Monique, Melissa Leo, Octavia can judge a person by the company they keep

by Anonymousreply 23101/16/2013

She’s not bright enough to throw in a sly dig like that at Sally and get it done right. The posters who offer that she’s dense are on target. She is fucking TONE DEAF. Literally. She AND her handlers especially that bloodsucker Stephen Huvane. They apparently don’t have the time or energy to read even a few blogs on the internet in recent weeks, which have exploded with disgust for her and her overblown campaign antics. It is NOT just the DL.

And I used to like Anne and her movies quite a bit. What a freaking turnaround.

by Anonymousreply 23201/16/2013

Did Anne graduate high school or was she "tutored" on set.

by Anonymousreply 23301/16/2013

Oh, I'm sure they're wise to it now. You'll pretty much stop seeing her now until the next Awards show. It's the safest way they can keep her from saying even more retarded shit.

She's already been keeping a low profile.

So yeah, she and her team, are that calculating.

by Anonymousreply 23401/16/2013

I find her awards season meltdown incomprehensible. I used to love her. Loved her in Brokeback. Hell, I was rooting for her to win a few years ago for Rachel Getting Married. Now I find it hard to watch her at all.

Also, it is now obvious that the brilliant scene in Rachel where she gives the awkward speech at the rehearsal dinner was not exactly acting, so maybe it is a good thing Winslet won.

But, yeah, she needs to fire her whole team and go away for a while after the Oscars, win or lose.

by Anonymousreply 23501/16/2013

r233 she went to high school in NJ and then to Vassar of all places. Same as Meryl! She didnt finish there though wound up graduating from NYU.

by Anonymousreply 23601/16/2013

R217 Adele was so cute, funny and alive. How refreshing! Oooohhhh that pinched little look on Taylor Swift's face spoke volumes.

by Anonymousreply 23701/16/2013

Seems so young for someone who was a cast member of "The Beverly Hillbillies."

by Anonymousreply 23801/17/2013

Just a sampling of today’s regular Daily Fail dose of AnnE propaganda. This is what I think is setting everyone off; who gets talked about like this? They aren’t even half as gushy when they write about Jackman, Lawrence or any other stars they feature:

“When she walks the red carpet in all her finery, there are few women in the world more beautiful. But despite her million dollar lifestyle it seems Anne Hathaway hasn't lost her common touch.”

“The actress turned dozens of heads as she sashayed down the red carpet in a white, beaded Chanel frock which flattered her willowy frame perfectly.”

“As well as being tipped to triumph at this year's Oscars after securing a nomination, Anne is fast becoming one of the world's most bankable actresses.”

- huh?

by Anonymousreply 23901/17/2013

This is from another AnnE thread, so I won't take credit for finding it.

[italic]Why Do People Hate Anne Hathaway?

[bold]1. She tries too hard[/bold] When we look at her we see a thought bubble that says "PLEASE LIKE ME! I WANT EVERYONE TO LIKE ME!" Anyone that desperate for acceptance seems overbearing.

[bold]2. Her shameless jockeying for critical acclaim and awards consideration in her role in "Les Misérables"[/bold] There's no way you haven't heard by now that Hathaway lost 25 pounds eating one oatmeal square a day, cut off her hair, sang her own songs, and forced her agent to get her the audition. She's screaming it from the rooftops! Early buzz says she's great in the film and perhaps worthy of an Oscar, we just wish the movie could speak for itself. Which brings us to...

[bold]3. Her Oscars hosting debacle[/bold] As one person on Yahoo! Answers put it, "you shouldn't have to try to be funny. Either you are or you're not." Remember how she anxiously laughed really hard at her own jokes, or simply at nothing at all? AWKWARD! Many viewers claimed James Franco resembled his laid back, pot dealing character in "The Pineapple Express," and that Hathaway was desperately scrambling to pick up the slack, but we're convinced she was just in over her head and Franco hated her.

[bold]4. She reminds you of that girl you hated in high school drama club[/bold] Or the girl who really wants you to sign her yearbook. Overenthusiastic and obsessive.

[bold]5. She's always sporting a manic mega grin[/bold] Her gaze is a little intense at times, and her nervous energy is always evident. See also #4.

[bold]6. She's boring[/bold] Remember that scandal in 2008 when her ex-boyfriend Raffaello Follieri had to go to prison for fraud? We felt bad for Hathaway, but we still didn't really care enough to know the details. Imagine if that happened to Jennifer Aniston or even Jennifer Lawrence? We'd want to know more.

[bold]7. She's a dork, but not a cool dork[/bold] You know how Cameron Diaz is goofy and silly? Or how Reese Witherspoon seems so Type A and hyper-organized? Those qualities somehow make them more endearing. Anne's geeky behavior is somehow off-putting.

[bold]8. Her stupid wedding veil/hat thing[/bold] It's not pretty. It's weird.

[bold]9. She doesn't have the sly, seductive subtlety that Catwoman should have[/bold] Michelle Pfeiffer nailed the role in the not-so-distant past, so Hathaway was kind of set up for failure. Yet she's already lobbying for a Catwoman spinoff movie. Recently she told Access Hollywood: "I would love it. I actually, it's so embarrassing, I was at a press Q & A thing the other night for a screening of The Dark Knight, and the moderator asked me, "So what was it like to say goodbye to the character?" And I burst into tears, because I miss her. It just makes me cry. I miss her. I love Selena [Kyle] so much and I love her presence in my life and getting to… I'm crying again. So assuming there was enough Kleenex in the world, I would love to do a spin-off." We say let it go.

[bold]10. She's overexposed[/bold] Real stars have a little mystery. Hathaway doesn't let us wonder, and her self-deprecating, overshare-y comments feel like a made for TV movie about the girl-next-door who made it in Hollywood. There's no glamor! And now that's she's on every magazine cover (that Vogue cover was SO bad), and potentially up for several awards it feels a little like the media is shoving her down people's throats. We're guilty of that now too. We hate being mean girls, and we hope she kills it in Les Miz. We're waiting for her awesome acting ability to overshadow everything else.

We know we're not alone... Does anyone else out there agree?[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 24001/17/2013

[quote]Verbose, but vapid.

Great line, r222. I'm stealing it.

by Anonymousreply 24101/17/2013

Brace yourselves. Anne Hathaway's version of IDAD has entered the UK singles chart at No. 21. Sixteen places higher than SuBo's ever got; 17 places higher than her co-star Samantha Barks' version of On My Own which currently sits at No. 38.

Soundtrack topping the album chart in the mid-weeks.

by Anonymousreply 24201/17/2013

What most surprises me about this whole thing is that Anne has a phalanx of publicists, managers and image consultants advising her. Why are they letting her get so out of control? They will be the ones to be blamed if she loses the Oscar because of her batshit crazy mugging.

by Anonymousreply 24301/17/2013

That is odd R202. Maybe she it taking a break but the only project for Anne is a voice character.

by Anonymousreply 24401/17/2013

She just announced that she will star in a film remake of "Taming of the Shrew" set in 1950s Italy.

by Anonymousreply 24501/17/2013

I think that her pople that are in charge of Internet perception management are taking things personally and bickering with posters all over rather than having that tough conversation with her.

The approach seems to be "everyone is a jealous hater, this is unfair" and planting positive blog comments instead of telling Anne to adjust her behavior a bit, like Ben Affleck's people probably have.

Oh it would be great if Ben Affleck talked as much as Anne, but he no longer does / he has gotten the message successfully. Pooh!

by Anonymousreply 24601/17/2013

R245, These new porjects were announced shortly after posters on popular gossip sites began pointing out that Anne has no work lined up according to IMDB, except for the voice work. It's not so crazy - Anne has said that she used to read what Internet stangers said about her.

by Anonymousreply 24701/17/2013

Anne scares the pee out of her PR team, and most everyone else around her. She gets hysterical. Literally. She goes batshit crazy. You can't talk to her. At a certain point, people at the publicist, PA level, just step back and let her hang herself.

Someone at the level of Huvane or her agent needs to talk to her. They really do. She's not above threatening to take her business elsewhere. In fact, look for some kind of shake up, after a decent interval, if she loses the Oscar race. And I hope she does.

I am told she had originally cleared the decks as a promise to her new hubby. She was talking about spoending time getting acclimated to being married, and she "confided" in several interviews that she is ready to get pregnant.

by Anonymousreply 24801/17/2013

No doubt she's going to use the "getting pregnant and having a baby," thing as an excuse once Oscar season is over and she gets no offers.

by Anonymousreply 24901/17/2013

R249, that trial balloon has already floated. After the GG awards there was a pregnancy rumor denial press release issued by her people, which was strange since nobody was speculating (Anne hardly looked pregnant), so why deny it?

So, apparently the two piece white dress was supposed to stir pregnancy rumors. It failed to do so but an attention getting denial was issued anyway.

AH would do well to get new people, like Megan Fox.

by Anonymousreply 25001/17/2013

Somehow I don't even think it's her people. It's her. I can see her phoning her own gossip in so she has something for her people to deny.

She reeks of desperation.

by Anonymousreply 25101/17/2013

Not only is she hurting her chances of getting an Oscar, but she is also putting future casting opportunities in jeopardy. If you were a producer, would you want this crazy lady promoting your film?

by Anonymousreply 25201/17/2013

It would sort of be great if she went the way of Sean Young.

by Anonymousreply 25301/17/2013

Has anyone seen the Roundtable?

There's Amy Adams saying she doesn't understand how paparazzis are allowed to publish pictures of her child without her permission and threaten her and her child while taking the pictures and asks the other actresses who are mothers (all apart Anne) how they handle it and how they stay in control in such a situation.

Of course Anne is the one chiming in (btw Naomis look is hilarious): "You shouldn't have to do that. It shouldn't be something you have to control yourself over. [...] I'm thinking about that cause I really want to have a baby and my husband and I are like 'where are we going to live'? and we have to find a place off the grid...."

Marion Cotillard: "Come to France! We have laws" (everyone laughing)

It's after 20:00. Usually it wouldn't bother me with anyone else but Anne really irritates me here. She offers no advice or hardly a word of concern but goes on about herself. Thank God Marion interrupted and brought the talk to someone else.

at around 20:00

by Anonymousreply 25401/17/2013

[quote]So, apparently the two piece white dress was supposed to stir pregnancy rumors.

It might've worked better if you'd loaned her your tin hat.

by Anonymousreply 25501/17/2013

Maybe it wasn't just oatmeal paste (ARE YOU LISTENING ACADEMY MEMBERS??) that helped Anne trim her figure.

I have a stimulant rx - basically cocaine- for an endocrine insufficiency (no I'm not fat) and at a too - high dose it can make you embarrassingly, conpulsively chatty. Maybe AH really is getting a boost with her busy schedule. That might be easier to overcome than say, a personality issue this late in life.

by Anonymousreply 25601/17/2013

make that "compulsively"

by Anonymousreply 25701/17/2013

I don't even believe she lost or even had 25 lbs to lose.

And give me a break, she actually had no reason to lose that much weight.

Fantine isn't desolate for that long in the musical. She has a job, she takes to the streets, she dies. There was no reason for Ann to "lose" 25 lbs. She's just obnoxious.

by Anonymousreply 25801/17/2013

Yes, because everything in that convo and every convo anyone has with her is about HER HER HER.

I love how she later brings the Paps up again and says that she's stopped talking to them completely, blah blah blah.

Oh, PLEASE Ann... NO one is that interested in you and there aren't tons of Paps beating down your door. Ever.

by Anonymousreply 25901/17/2013

[quote]Marion Cotillard: "Come to France! We have laws" (everyone laughing)

It's true. Paps are not allowed to photograph celebrities if they're in the street with their kids. Why is it that we can't have the same here?

[quote]I don't even believe she lost or even had 25 lbs to lose.

I said that on a Les Mis thread weeks ago. She was skinny to begin with. 25 lbs would be really noticeable on her, and it wasn't. It's total PR.

by Anonymousreply 26001/17/2013

Can someone please start a thread about video at R254.

Anne and Sally are insufferable story tellers

Amy Adams sounds not too intelligent

Marion is lovely and classy

Rachel W and Helen are having NONE of it. Love.

by Anonymousreply 26201/17/2013

This thread is SCARY. it reminds me of that movie The Mist where those people are locked in a grocery store working themselves up into this paranoid mob hysteria, and attacking and murdering their mutually (delusionally) decided enemy.

by Anonymousreply 26301/17/2013

R263, nobody wants to kill this person. So who is paranoid, delusional and hysterical?

by Anonymousreply 26401/17/2013

R263, if this thread disturbs you, you're too delicate for DL.

by Anonymousreply 26501/17/2013

I'm disgusted at all the spiteful comments regarding Anne.

She seems lovely. She's extremely talented. She radiates positivity. She's elegant and beautiful and deserves the praise for her stunning turn in 'Les Miserables'. Her speech was fine! She was overwhelmed - she just won a Golden Globe after all. She's never won any major Hollywood award before - good on her!

by Anonymousreply 26601/17/2013

Finally someone gets it right! Yes, Anne is nothing but brilliant, kind, generous, and the most talented actress to come out of the past century. She is someone who should be admired and praised for being so down to earth and having absolutely no ego whatsoever.

Did I mention that she's the most talented, smartest, kindest actress that has ever graced the stage or screen?

by Anonymousreply 26701/17/2013

Anne's mom named her after her own middle name...

Now I understand where she gets her narcissism from.

by Anonymousreply 26801/17/2013

R262, what about Naomi Watts?

by Anonymousreply 26901/17/2013

Naomi just has no personality whatsoever.

by Anonymousreply 27001/17/2013

The only person I inded at that Roundtable discussion was AnnE. I would love to see her work with David O Russell and find it on YouTube. Him screaming at her calling her a cnt.

I think Anne is bi-polar. She definitely falls on that spectrum. YOu can tell by the way she rambles and rattles in the stream of consciousness, thinking outloud style she has. Or Narcissistic. Whatever she is, she needs to avoid caffeine at all costs.

by Anonymousreply 27201/17/2013

I meant "minded" not "inded."

I'd love to see SNL get Katie Holmes to do a Golden Globes skit mocking Anne Hathaway.

I also don't think her behavior will matter one bit to the casting people. She will get work based on her ability to attract good box office.

by Anonymousreply 27401/17/2013

She doesn't even attract at the Box Office. She can't carry a movie by herself.

by Anonymousreply 27501/17/2013

I agree, R271. Naomi Watts is terrific, really engaging, down to earth. I really liked her a lot and, of course, have always liked her work.

Sally is the grandma. I do love that moment when she refers to everyone else as "girls." But she's earned that kind of gravitas. She's been around forever and just keeps fighting. People always say Cher would survive an nuclear bomb but I'd put my money on Sally.

Helen Hunt is super cool and incredibly gracious; I love the way she comes to Sally's rescue and plays along that they are in the same age range-ish, so that Sally doesn't have to feel all alone.

And Rachel Weisz is just...the incredibly lovely Rachel Weisz. I love that the project she tried to get produced was about a woman who spends the whole movie in a tree! If Rachel Weisz is playing her, I'd watch it.

by Anonymousreply 27601/17/2013

Ann needs to be stopped.

by Anonymousreply 27701/17/2013

Thank you R271, I watched the THR roundtable and thought Amy Adams was just completely self-important and looked sociopathic when talking about paparazzis. She's completely humorless.

Marion came off the best. Then Rachel.

Anyway, I know this is an AnnE bashing thread, but c'mon Sally Field? She's a different kind of bitch. And she might get a 3rd Oscard? Scary. Not scarier than Helen Hunt having two though. That's be Hilary Swank all over again.

by Anonymousreply 27801/17/2013

I love how DL had to go find a months old video just to have a target to spit their venom.

by Anonymousreply 27901/17/2013

Marion C, came off like she usually comes off: like a retard. Watts wasn't much better. Both seemed completely intimidated and uncomfortable little girls with NOTHING to say. Figures DL would like those two bores the best.

I loves Sally's stories and the rest of the women actually had something to say and replied to the questions they were being asked.

by Anonymousreply 28101/17/2013

Oh, Anne, hush.

by Anonymousreply 28201/17/2013

Do straight guys find Anne Hathaway hot?

by Anonymousreply 28301/17/2013

R283, does every single straight guy on the planet find Anne Hathaway hot? No.

Do some? Yes.

by Anonymousreply 28401/17/2013

[quote]Someone at the level of Huvane or her agent needs to talk to her. They really do. She's not above threatening to take her business elsewhere. In fact, look for some kind of shake up, after a decent interval, if she loses the Oscar race. And I hope she does.

She’s pretty tight with Stephen H. I’m sure they speak all the time. She’s been a main client of his for years. In fact I see him as the culprit behind this excessive Oscar campaign and all the planted pregnancy stories etc. Can’t see her threatening him with anything, however I’ll concur that a shakeup wouldn’t be out of order even if she does pull off a win next month. Huvane has become more of a “celeb” pr guy, keeps lightweights like Aniston and Goop in the spotlight with their vitamin water deals, shampoo ads and cookbooks, if Anne wants to continue to be seen as “serious” she might need to look elsewhere for different representation at this point in her career. That might or might not include shifting from Kevin H. as her agent as well if he’s no longer serving her.

[quote] I am told she had originally cleared the decks as a promise to her new hubby. She was talking about spoending time getting acclimated to being married, and she "confided" in several interviews that she is ready to get pregnant.

She’s never promised her hubby anything, everyone who knows her knows she calls all shots in that relationship. He’s nearly a contract player all but paid and kept there’s no way he’s made any demands. Adam’s not unhappy to be in her shadow, trust. He’s not uncomfortable with his situation he knows what luck he got when she finally decided to get married after years of being there for her. And it was all her decision like I said she calls the shots.

She has no intention of slowing down at this point for anything now that she’s hitting her stride with these awards and potential Oscar. Like I said above she didn’t “confide” anything there were planted stories by her PR team (Huvane).

by Anonymousreply 28501/17/2013

Uh, r281, if anyone comes off as a retard, plus a manic, AND a narcissist on top of that, it's Ms. Ann Haddaway.

Marion is still struggling with her English, so she gets a pass. If anything, she comes off as sincere and unaffected.

Rachel Weisz is ok, with a trace of attitude, which she seems to have under control.

Amy Adams is at times whiny, at times engaging, and at times plain boring.

Sally Field is ok. I like her off-screen more than on. But she's a scorpio, so if anyone detects a bitch streak, they aren't far off. No way did she enjoy AH (another scorpio) referencing the Flying Nun at the GGs. A scorpio is distrustful by nature, and they never forgive or forget. Ann has a new enemy.

Naomi Watts is sweet.

Helen Hunt is way cool, and she's totally moved up in my estimation of her. Love her facial expressions to Ann's bullshit, and her timing is great when she interrupts Ann, to lecture the interviewers AND to mock Ann's priorities.

AnnE truly is insufferable.

by Anonymousreply 28601/17/2013

Thanks, R285. It's good to hear good gossip.

by Anonymousreply 28701/17/2013

Cotillard deserved a Razzie for her atrocious acting in the last Batman film. People stick their noses up at Batman and Robin but Uma Thurman was about a thousand times more convincing in that than Cotillard in her Bat movie.

by Anonymousreply 28801/17/2013

I just watched the whole thing... I thought they were all perfectly fine, even AnnE (and I agree she's got a self confidence problem in the too much sense.)

by Anonymousreply 29001/17/2013

Caption this picture:

by Anonymousreply 29101/17/2013

Me Me Me Me Me Me Me

by Anonymousreply 29201/17/2013

Wow, I have a new found respect for Helen Hunt. She came off unaffected, grounded, and smart. I loved when she brought up the possibility of them talking more about the "process" and less about the paparazzi.

And then Amy Adams had to cut in with that eyerolling aside about her precious little rugrat.

God. She and Anne were dueling to the death for title of most insufferable blowhard in the room.

by Anonymousreply 29301/17/2013

That's a beautiful bracelet Anne is wearing in r291’s link. Looks vintage. It goes so nicely with the tacky childish string bracelets she insists on wearing everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 29401/17/2013

Brace yourselves DLrs. Because it appears that plans are in the works for AnnE to perform her special brand of magic at the Oscars once again! From the Daily Mail:

[quote]"It’s still being decided what song will be sung, but Samantha will participate with other cast members such as best actor nominee Hugh Jackman, best supporting actress front-runner Anne Hathaway, heart-throb Eddie Redmayne, Amanda Seyfried and others in one of the rousing crowd numbers — One Day More or Do You Hear The People Sing."

[quote]"The other idea being discussed is to have a medley with, perhaps, Anne performing an excerpt of I Dreamed A Dream (which she sings with heart-breaking raw emotion in the picture); Samantha coming in with On My Own; Hugh giving us his Who Am I? or Bring Him Home, and so on. Nothing, however, has been decided. The Oscar creative team have to work out how other numbers work within the ceremony’s framework."

by Anonymousreply 29501/17/2013

Why isn't Russel Crowe performing with them?

by Anonymousreply 29601/17/2013

r288, it's a Christopher Nolan movie. I'd like to see Pfeiffer try her hand at the shit (especially the dialogue) in TDKR.

I'm a Pfeiffer fan, too, but I bet even she would come off looking stupid.

Nolan can't write for shit, and he doesn't know how to deal with women in any creative capacity.

by Anonymousreply 29701/17/2013

[quote]Why don't you boys go outside and learn how to throw a ball like a man instead of engaging in this nonsense? It is not as if you have a dog in this race.

sexual roles aren't defined that narrowly can bitch about AnnE Hathaway and throw it is night time and baseball season doesn't start for a few months....pointless bitchery....remember?

by Anonymousreply 29901/17/2013

R298 is too stupid to realize they're doing the exact thing they're bitching at.

Anne, go home already.

by Anonymousreply 30001/17/2013

Dear God, please no singing at the Oscars. It seemed to be moving away from the sort of shitfest it used to be. It seemed like it was joining the real world and doing things in a more normal way.

Now you are confronting me with the prospect of the cast of Les Miserables singing at the Oscars???? I bet Hathaway suggested it.

I guess I will leave the room and find something else to do.

by Anonymousreply 30101/17/2013

I bet there will be singing. Remember the host is up for Best Song.

by Anonymousreply 30201/17/2013

Of course, there will be singing. The Oscars always have an opening song and a couple pointless montage songs, while the nominated songs get shafted. But it's a little overkill to have the LES MIZ screech through a medley. It already has the nominated "Suddenly" to perform.

by Anonymousreply 30301/17/2013

Ok just watched the roundtable thing

Agree with the previous comments - liked Naomi, Hunt, and Rachel W the best

Anne does seem self-centred and fake. I don't remember her being like that a few years ago. She seemed bright and smart then...I thought??

Hard to tell with Marion because she is not speaking in her first language, but she seems straightforward.

Amy Adams - not with it, and really needs to trim that hair. It does not look good or stylish. For once she had it good at the Golden Globes.

Naomi's is so cute! I like her top, too.

Agree with another comment, they do seem like girls more than women you may have seen in earlier generations. (It might be like that for men, though, too. I guess the lightweight world we live in).

And - is Naomi's accent British or Australian? I can't tell.

by Anonymousreply 30401/18/2013

Anne just comes across like a nerd, there are countless try-hard women-girls like this who have that over eager thing about them. You come across them in life every once in a while.

by Anonymousreply 30501/18/2013

Remember AnnE once scorned Oprah.

by Anonymousreply 30601/18/2013

Actually, we have to take into account that actors are narcissistic by nature no? AnnE and Amy were the most insufferable. The funny thing is, I knew AnnE was before, but not Amy. That roundtable did her no favors.

by Anonymousreply 30701/18/2013

[quote]The Oscars always have an opening song and a couple pointless montage songs

I think they've cut them the last few years.

Debbie Allen's interpretive dance versions of Saving Private Ryan and Life is Beautiful kind of killed off the music.

by Anonymousreply 30801/18/2013

I don’t think she scorned her r306 as much as she acted vapid and ditzy. O asked her about her phone scene with Ledger’s character, which is her big scene in the movie, and whether it was obvious that her character knew what had happened to her husband or was pretending not to know. Ang Lee had deliberately shot it a couple of different ways, supposedly to leave it open to interpretion.

Good old AnniE didn’t seem to realize this and ditzily told O “wasn’t it obvious?” All the other actors there with her were like “come on! No Anne it WASN’T obvious”. She just sat there as if she didn’t have a clue what they were talking about. DITZ.

by Anonymousreply 30901/18/2013

[quote]And - is Naomi's accent British or Australian? I can't tell.

It's both; she was brought up in the UK until she was 14, then moved to Australia.

by Anonymousreply 31001/18/2013

The Hollywood Reporter roundtable is pretty fun to watch and illuminating.

Why people hate Helen Hunt out here I have no idea. She is a brainy and cool woman who spoke in a very honest way about having to fight for every part. Doesn't make her a heroine, but this roundtable is interesting to people who don't just want to buy into internet crap about her. Maybe she is Lesbian. Who cares. She spoke beautifully and with useful insight about her part in 'The Sessions' and was the best broad at the table. In a group you can always tell the ones who are listening to others from the ones who are thinking about what they want to say next. Helen Hunt was cool.

Anne H, proved herself to be the socially awkward out of her league vacant actress. Surprise. She seems much younger than her age and is no better in a group than how she comes across on her own. She was not a bitch The others were kind to her. Jittery, anxious to please, painfully earnest and yet our of sync.

Naomi Watts was loved by the camerman, and was too shy to even speak much, and had the least actressy ego contribution. Her few statements were in congress with her demeanor. She will never win an Oscar - she is too retiring on and off screen. Good actress, though.

Rachel Weiss is stunning but was truly the least articulate or insightful, watch again. Her description of playing the wicked witch as no work to be done because it was a fake land and character was a stupid and insulting way to deliver the message and she was no better when describing her part that she really did want in 'The Constant Gardener' except to say that she was a lot like the character. Lightweight. If she were refreshingly simple, like it's all just pretending that would be different, but she was pretty moronic. I would place her with Winona Ryder. Dark haired unconventional beauty. Stupid.

Amy Adams is a much better actress than given credit for on DL, but she is pretty insecure and doesn't have the killer instinct at any round table she has been on. On DL they would call her a 'frau.' I like her even is she is more a mother than a monster.

Sally Field was funny and earthy and disingenuous about not having any particular part that she hoped to play. You can't be her age and look her age without being a bit smarter than you once were, but she would have killed for parts that were never going to hers. Her story about how she got Lincoln was amusing and illustrative of that. She just is not a movie star. She is very lucky and not a bad actress and has chilled out. Jane Fonda, Sissy Spacek, Jessica Lange and many others were more talented that Sally Field, so her statement about whatever is meant to happen, happens was a sincere late middle aged lie. She was candid about doing crap for money though.

Marion Coutillard, wow, what a beautiful disappointment. Her english is fine, her intelligence is limited. Nothing interesting to say about acting, why she was there.

The roundtable was still a fun and interesting discussion for the most part. After Hathaway states that she did not go along with riding in a princess carriage for that princess movie (you know she would tomorrow, she must have hated the designer), Sally Field tells a truly humiliating story about flying across the Golden Globe stage as the flying nun into John Wayne's arms. There is not bitchery, it's just perspective, and Sally presents it that way.

This is Anne Hathaway thread, so just sayin, what I said a hundred or more posts back. Anne is not ever going to please people more. She is also not a bitch. Like Paltrow and some girl you went to school with, she has an insufferable personality, and when she is being sincere it is only worse.

Check out Helen Hunt. A grown ass woman. Impressive.

by Anonymousreply 31101/18/2013

She's such a self-conscious fucktard.

My co-worker, who apparently lives under a rock, was asking about all the Hathaway hate on the internet forums (and it's everywhere, even AnnE, in her bubble must be aware of it) and I played her the GG acceptance speech on YouTube. To sum it up for her, and for those here who still don't get it:

[quote]Thank you for this lovely blunt object that I will forevermore use as a weapon against self-doubt.

That horrid speech wouldn't have been nearly as bile inducing if she'd just said,

[quote] Thank you for this AWARD that I will forevermore use as a weapon against self-doubt.

The whole tone of the speech is changed from sickeningly twee to something that could possibly pass for sincere in dim lighting.

[quote] the tacky childish string bracelets she insists on wearing everywhere.

The string bracelet next to the diamond one is to show us she hasn't sold out. AnnE is still edgy!

by Anonymousreply 31201/18/2013

R311 here.....

I sound like a moron in that long post, I never heard of these "roundtables' before a couple of days ago on the DL.

I found it interesting, it seems.

I am going to post it.

65 minutes of your life.

I may have had some wine.

by Anonymousreply 31301/18/2013

The director's one was a bust this year. The interviewer didn't do a very good job of letting the more reticent men (Lee and Van Sant) talk.

I can't stand the actress ones because they don't talk about acting a lot, just about how hard it is to have kids and be in the business (they never ask the men this) and about age/appearance.

by Anonymousreply 31401/18/2013

"I'm the only one here who is not a mother"-Anne Hathaway.....BITCH!!!!

by Anonymousreply 31501/18/2013

The Actor one was no better. Interesting that the first thing out of Jamie Foxx's mouth, in response to the question of something like "first rewards of success," he talks about women. How beautiful women would just go crazy.

I want to like all the actresses at the table. I'd also like to think that my favorites and who I note as very gifted actually HAVE craft and a process and take it seriously. I don't know anymore.

by Anonymousreply 31601/18/2013

I never liked Helen Hunt before but she was the best part of that round table for me. She was calm, honest, attentive and generous when it came to letting others speak. Anne and Sally, on the other hand, ugh! Sally's stories were entertaining but God, can the woman go ON and ON or what?

by Anonymousreply 31701/18/2013

r316, I noticed that too. I also noticed that Richard Gere was hot as fucking hell, and an unbelievably young 63.

I get that it's a PR opportunity for THR and the subjects, but the last few years before this one were much better.

I was also appalled that no one challenged Michael Haneke (in the writer's RT) on his fascist comments re: Spielberg specifically and artists' rights to creative freedom in general.

by Anonymousreply 31801/18/2013

Haha, R315, did she really say that? But she's right. She was the only motherless actress at the roundtable. Cotillard has an almost two-year-old with French actor and partner Guillaume Canet. However, it was another gauche remark. It implies that the other actresses are a lot older than her, which they are, but you just don't bring up women's ages, no matter how roundabout.

by Anonymousreply 31901/18/2013

Rachel Weisz sounds like a really smart cookie. (Amy Adams doesn't)

by Anonymousreply 32001/18/2013

What desert movie is Marion Cotillard talking about?

by Anonymousreply 32101/18/2013

R321, LE DERNIER VOL directed by Karim Dridi.

by Anonymousreply 32201/18/2013

The Roundtables have been better in previous years. (You can find them all at YouTube.) One of the more enjoyable actress ones was with Bening, Bonham-Carter, Swank, Adams and Kidman, if I recall (mostly because Bening and Bonham Carter are so funny). They do Emmy Roundtables as well.

This year's series was expanded to include more crafts like the costumers and composers, they also did agents, producers and studio heads. But in some ways they've become too much PR when they used to be more insightful.

I'm glad DL has seen Helen Hunt in this context though. That roundtable has been online since November and when I first saw it I thought she was super cool.

Weisz strikes me as someone who hasn't let the industry she's in distort her personality because, lbh, she could be a much bigger star if she played up to it but instead has used her talents wisely and mostly in service to projects that further causes that concern her. I'm not sure how anyone could describer her as a moron. She's reserved, private, respectful of others and doesn't seem to take all of it too seriously.

Marion is funny though after her long ramble when she concludes, "...did I answer your question?" Her English is not great and she really does straddle a cultural divide - it would be deadly for her in France to come over as a big HOLLYWOOD actress. I think that accounts for her reticence. Also, actors usually have other people writing the lines for them - some intuit their lives more through feeling rather than verbosity.

by Anonymousreply 32301/18/2013

Is there a thread about the roundtables? We should make one as R262 already mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 32401/18/2013

I think the Daily Mail is having us on with the Les Mis cast performing live on the Oscars - especially since so few of them have been lauded for their singing. Les Mis is not a favorite for Best Picture and doesn't even have a Best Picture nomination - they don't need to devote that much time to it on the broadcast. Singing all those fucking songs would take 10 minutes. And, again , there is the Russell Crowe issue. He's not going to get up on stage and sing. It's just DM bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 32501/18/2013

[quote]Les Mis is not a favorite for Best Picture and doesn't even have a Best Picture nomination

It is nominated for Best Picture, unless you meant Director?

by Anonymousreply 32601/18/2013

Helen Hunt is the clear winner of the roundtable.

It would be too delicious if she won the Oscar this year, to the surprise of everyone, completely derailing Ann's PR train.

Fingers crossed!

by Anonymousreply 32701/18/2013

UK bookmaker odds

by Anonymousreply 32801/18/2013

Yes, I meant Director. Apologies to all.

by Anonymousreply 32901/18/2013

Yes, someone please start a thread.

Going to watch some of the older ones, but I have to say....

As much as I like some of the actresses' work (Cotillard and Watts and Hunt in particular), is it just me, or was this a completely HUMORLESS roundtable? I mean, Jesus, talk about everyone taking themselves waaaaay too seriously. It DID have that feeling that most of them were just waiting to chime in, or scared to be themselves, or to offer much to the conversation. I agree, HH was great - but still - I didn't laugh once.

I'd like to think of actors and actresses who are great in their roles, have very dramatic sides, but also have a humor-filled magnetism as well. THAT is star quality. I'm sorry, but these girls are very talented yes, but I saw NO star quality at the roundtable. There.

by Anonymousreply 33001/18/2013

I am wondering if these types of round table discussions are understood to be a final submission for AMPAS voters. Maybe some voters want to get an idea of an actor's process in order to judge the work, especially if it's a competitive year? If that is the case, I can understand the tension.

by Anonymousreply 33101/18/2013

Posted a thread about the roundtable interviews:

by Anonymousreply 33201/18/2013

...Well not really a submission, just something that enough voters are likely to view.

Anyway gamblers everywhere are betting that AH will win this category.

by Anonymousreply 33301/18/2013

The Daily Beast chimes in.

by Anonymousreply 33401/18/2013

Beneath the eager smile, is Anne Hathaway the Frankie Fane of 2013?

by Anonymousreply 33501/18/2013

Here is the truth: Anne has become uppity. You can be the nicest, sweetest, most talented person in the world, but once you become uppity, everyone will look for some reason to cut you down.

by Anonymousreply 33601/18/2013

When Les Mis won Best Ensemble at the GG, Anne seemed utterly manic with euphoria - she was practically making out with a perturbed Amanda Seyfriend. Is it because she won? Why can't she just stand on the sidelines?

by Anonymousreply 33701/18/2013

I do not think Rachel Weisz came off as a "moron" at all. I thought what she said was fine, and got a sense she watch being careful about what she said. I think she held back a lot. Agree they all seemed kind of nervous, not relaxed at all.

by Anonymousreply 33801/18/2013

Thanks to whomever posted the link to the Daily Beast article @ r334. It would seem the author reads the DL -! It’s actually an interesting read if you’re interested in internet memes and how they spread and affect public opinion work vs. real world think. The author makes the entirely rational point at the end of the article that, no matter how much internet bashing, it likely wont affect “real world” opinion much (re: older ampas voters) and Anne will probably still win her Oscar.

His points about her public image issues are also worthy, how her speeches and jittery tv appearances are affecting her public image. I had posted in another thread that she lately appears to be stressed to the point of manic. Now it’s being noticed in print so it can be said its not just me or the DL.

by Anonymousreply 33901/18/2013

Don't quit your day job, r340.

by Anonymousreply 34101/19/2013

That's a nasty thing to spend time typing out, r340. I hope you don't hurt someone with your unwarranted warmongering against bitchy queens - who I love and enjoy.

by Anonymousreply 34201/19/2013

R340 = delusional

by Anonymousreply 34301/19/2013

r340=too verbose...short and to the point dear....

by Anonymousreply 34401/19/2013

Is DL down?

by Anonymousreply 34501/19/2013

It's people like R340 that famous people need to watch out for, not unimpressed "haters".

by Anonymousreply 34601/19/2013

Who the hell was that? Her dad?

by Anonymousreply 34701/19/2013

The main page of DL has not threads listed. Is there a problem with DL?

by Anonymousreply 34801/19/2013

Yes, most people are having a problem with DL, R345.

by Anonymousreply 34901/19/2013

Yep, the front page doesn't list threads. I got to the threadlist through the watched threads.

by Anonymousreply 35001/19/2013

[quote]DL has not threads listed

I meant to say, "does not have threads listed."

It feels good to have a DL-less day.

by Anonymousreply 35101/19/2013

Yes I'm having the same thread problem, must be the same for everyone. I just started a thread about it to see if anyone can see new threads, no replies so far.

by Anonymousreply 35201/19/2013

I did the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 35301/19/2013

Link the threads.

by Anonymousreply 35401/19/2013

I'll try

by Anonymousreply 35501/19/2013

This is terrible. I need DL on the weekend the most. This is forcing me to do something constructive like read a book, houseclean or * gasp* have a conversation with a real person...

I don't like the WM...

by Anonymousreply 35601/19/2013

I tried to put the New DL Broken post in my thread watcher and it didn't take.

Only my current starred posts are showing.

by Anonymousreply 35701/19/2013

Someone posted in my thread that they can see new threads, but only when using their Droid, not their desktop computer.

by Anonymousreply 35801/19/2013

This A list all movie actress was overheard telling one of her people in advance that "when she won" at the SAG Awards that she would do the "tears thing," and then at the Academy Awards do the "humbled thing," because she said she had to "keep it fresh each time so the audience doesn't get bored." When her person asked if the actress would change things up if someone else won at the SAG Awards our actress said that no one else would win because if she thought otherwise she would not have bothered to show up and would have got sick, "like that other girl."

by Anonymousreply 35901/28/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!