Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Lena Dunham is fucking trash!!

Look at her waddling up to the stage with all those tattoos. She completely ruined that backless gown with her back disfigurements. The designer must be aghast. What an orangutan!

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 56605/09/2015

You sound mentally disturbed, OP.

That said, I tried to watch Season 1 of her show, but I quit 3 shows before the end. Can't stand it, can't go back and try again, or tape Season 2. Her character is selfish and so straight-and-male-obsessed it makes my teeth ache; her friends, who criticize her, aren't much better.

That doesn't describe all 20-somethings in NYC, but if you watch just "Girls" and "SATC"... that's the impression you'd get. Not a recommendation.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 101/14/2013

The designer is Zac Posen, who's a friend of hers.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 201/14/2013

Why couldn't she walk? Lord, wear flats if it is going to take you 25 minutes to walk across the stage.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 401/14/2013

Obviously she has mobility issues. She needed a wheelchair or a walker or even an attendant to help her maneuver the floor. I don't know why this wasn't handled more appropriately.

It was painful to watch that girl struggle to walk even a short distance.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 601/14/2013

She walked like Frankenstein. She needed to wear flats.

Those tats were so ugly. She needed makeup to cover them or a better dress.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 701/14/2013

THIS is why they hte us.

Grow up guys.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 801/14/2013

Adele shows the fatties how to dress. Lena looked like she had stepped into a pile of shit.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 901/14/2013

What happened?

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 1001/14/2013

around 2:10

Thanking Chad Lowe is funny

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 1101/14/2013

I adore her. Love Girls, love her attitude.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 1201/14/2013

[quote]You sound mentally disturbed, OP.

No, OP sounds like he/she has class.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 1301/14/2013

Why did she thank Chad Lowe?

She is so self-involved....this is so good for ME. This show has been so great for Me.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 1401/14/2013

She thanked Chad because Hilary Swank forgot to when she won her first Oscar. She is insufferable.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 1601/14/2013

We need to take notes to see her fat tattooed ass waddle up the stage? No, dear, we have eyes.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 1701/14/2013

Lena Dunham looks like a done ham!

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 1901/14/2013

Her sister, 20-year-old Grace Dunham, is openly gay (scroll down for pics.)

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 2101/14/2013

What r20 said

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 2201/14/2013

Thank you all for showing me, in one short thread, why my visits to DL are less and less frequent.

These feeble attempts at wit are just more examples of DL's decline.

I....deride you.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 2301/14/2013

Brilliant is a bit of a stretch. I find her show unwatchable, but I understand its appeal to certain segments

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 2401/14/2013

And we all thank you, r23, for supposedly making your visits less and less frequent. Stop visiting altogether and we'll send you a nice fruit basket.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 2501/14/2013

[quote] She epitomizes her generation, believe me.

Maybe that's the problem.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 2601/14/2013

I LOVE Girls. It's hilarious. There are hot naked guys. The music is awesome (THE KNIFE!!!).

She IS ugly and she IS obnoxious but I find her character fascinating.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 2801/14/2013

[quote]OMG this is such a marker of good quality television!

Quit trolling. I also said it is hilarious. But it is a true sign of ignorance when one must exclude information to provide their point. So thanks at least for an incite into your mental capacity.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 3001/14/2013

Tee-hee, hot guys!!!

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 3101/14/2013

My eyes graviatated toward the really UGLY gal behind her with these big choppers and demented eyebrows.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 3201/14/2013

Hey, it's not like I can watch a show soley because it features hot guys. If that were the case I'd be able to bear watching White Collar.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 3301/14/2013

as graceful as a tiptoeing tattooed elephant waddling up to the stage

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 3401/14/2013

Everyone in different. We shouldn't trash people because of that. She is unique. Sheesh.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 3501/14/2013

That's David Mamet's daughter, r32.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 3601/14/2013

[quote]at least for an incite into your mental capacity

Oh dear!

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 3901/14/2013

[quote] I can watch a show soley

Good Lord.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 4001/14/2013

I've never seen her show.. of course her show isn't for 40 year old gay guys so..

That said, I know she's a 'thing' here in New York and I work with at least one girl/young woman who really thinks this person is awesome and a generational voice.

I don't get the tatts on such a young girl or why, with her money and fame she's allowed herself to be so big, but apparently she resonates with somebody.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 4101/14/2013

"apparently she resonates with somebody."

Her agents.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 4201/14/2013

"A generational voice" belonging to an over-connected entitled New Yorker?

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 4301/14/2013

But why couldn't she walk?

Seriously - wtf?

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 4501/14/2013

R43, that is exactly who should be the voice of this generation.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 4601/14/2013

Oh good - another eldergay thread where you can all bitch about how literally everyone who has a tattoo is CLEARLY mentally disturbed trailer trash.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 4701/14/2013

What trash is she fucking?

And, of course, R47 looks like she fell asleep in a Kindergarten room where the students broke the lock on the markers drawer. But she doesn't care - she's wearing that thong on the beach anyway. Because she's PRETTY.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 4901/14/2013

I have never seen her show, but I did see her interview with Charlie Rose and thought she was quite charming. I am so accustomed to hearing Ivy League graduates in their late 20's still sound like extras in Clueless that I even thought she was articulate.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 5001/14/2013

Mamet's kid looks like the ugly skank Theon fucked aboard ship on his way back to the Iron Islands.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 5101/14/2013

I've seen a few episodes of Girls and I think it is pretty good. Working with Millennials (or ME-lennials), I think she does a good job of capturing her generation. A bit too much on the hipster side but it is supposed to be NYC.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 5201/14/2013

[quote]She epitomizes her generation, believe me.

I refuse to believe you.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 5301/14/2013

Angelina Jolie could be described as the same, but won't be here at the hypercrital DataLounge because she's considered beautiful. I guess Lena should stay in her house from now on. No more awards shows for you Lena, DataLounge has decreed it!

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 5401/14/2013

nice, and as to 'why she could not walk' she clearly DOES have mobility issues, so do I as I have MS, and people stare at me, and do not understand that I can not walk on a hard surface without the feeling of slipping and falling. as far as your comment that Lena Dunam is F*****G trash, saying it clearly says more about the writer that Ms. Dunham, don't you think?

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 5501/14/2013

She doesn't have "mobility issues", you fucking morons. She wore high heels and couldn't walk in them. I can't wait for these platform hooker heels to go out of style.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 5601/14/2013

Lllllleaaaave Llllllena alllllone!

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 5701/14/2013

I have nothing against how she chooses to present her person. Her choice.

I can't stand her material (mostly) and her hype.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 5801/14/2013

I read that with a Spanish accent, R57.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 5901/14/2013

How predictable, r59 - I knew someone would accuse me of being heavily inked as soon as I made that post, because after all, how could anyone simply have tolerance for those with different taste than them?

I actually have no tattoos and don't want any. I'm just not a bitchy, uppity eldergay who foams at the mouth over young whippersnappers having the gall to have different tastes and interests than what was popular when American Bandstand was on.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 6001/14/2013

you type moron therefore you are, from the root 'idiot' - so you feel that it had to be 'heels', not mobility issues? Let me give you an eye test, how many fingers am I holding up? this room is sad, all you can talk about is her looks, so what, she likes tats, so what, blah, what a bunch of small minded, self absorbed, people, like, is there nobody in the room that cares that she may have a real problem? nah, that's no fun, lets judge her by her weight and looks, you all would have make dandy Confederates! you got the right approach to what is important in a person! know what I think, I think a lot of you are small minded, jealous, and are thinking 'how can someone I am clearly better than win an award! sad

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 6101/14/2013

Someone on the radio said her arms looked like ham hocks and that she is the ugliest thing in the history of Hollywood!

The fact that she alone looked like an elephant walking up to the stage made her look even worse than she was. I wonder who the fuck thinks she's hot? The ugly hipster crowd from Williamsburg? Sensitive women who think she's pretty and empowered? Or mentally insane fugnuts who religiously watch Girls like some fangurls/queens watch soap operas?

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 6201/14/2013

What the HELL are you talking about, R60? I said "I read that with a Spanish accent" because of all the LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLs you used. I also mentioned nothing about tattoos. Are you Hispanic, without any sense of humor to speak of? Is that what got you excited?

MARY!

Also, I'm probably younger than you are!

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 6301/14/2013

She undermined every bit of authority she had by caving into the notion that you have to wear heels to be attractive. Clearly - CLEARLY - she cannot walk in them. She looked like it was her first time in skates at Rockefeller Center.

She is not eschewing being beautiful. I think she desperately wants to be attractive, otherwise she wouldn't have been wearing those heels. She was a nightmare walking in those heels.

She comes from money. Why didn't her parents get her braces? She has access to a hair and makeup team. Why didn't someone try to make her look appealing? That matronly dress and it's funereal bunting color. Zac Posen is a friend? Are we sure about that?

And I like her show, and she is my favorite part of the show. But last night, I realized she is her character, which made her less interesting in my book.

I mean, she can look put together / pretty. I don't know why she didn't last night.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 6401/14/2013

The tats are awful. She isn't beautiful. She is awkward and unpolished.

But, seriously, why would you get so riled up? I always ignore most of the posters who complain that DL "hates women" but, boy, it sure does seem like that here.

How could she possibly annoy you that much? How could you possibly care that much? She seems perfectly nice for someone in Hollywood.

I just don't get it. I know, "pointless bitchery," but it's so fucking juvenile and insane. What is your problem, OP?

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 6501/14/2013

[quote]For the amount that this tattooed overly-connected-pimped schlump got, 1,000 better writers each could have had their much better tomes published.

True, better writers probably deserve a shot. But, why blame her? You wouldn't take the same opportunity? Of course you would. Blame the publishers.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 6601/14/2013

In fact, Lena's grandfather was an orthodontist.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 6701/14/2013

How can you be brilliant with hideous tattoos?

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 6801/14/2013

[quote] Blame the publishers.

r38 should blame itself. Publishers know r38 wouldn't buy a single one of those 1,000 books.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 7001/14/2013

[quote]The designer is Zac Posen, who's a friend of hers.

Honey, designing that dress proves he's no friend of her's. I find it hilarious that everyone finds her edgy, non conformist and cool and she not only dresses exactly as everyone else does to this shindig, complete with heels she can't maneuver, she tears up winning a Golden Globe. A Golden Globe.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 7101/14/2013

I thought she looked quite svelte.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 7201/15/2013

W&W r72

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 7301/15/2013

[quote]Honey, designing that dress proves he's no friend of her's.

I take your point, but "hers" never has an apostrophe.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 7401/15/2013

I think what gets people up in a tizzy is her character is the one who gets the guys and the sex....save for the British girl. And despite how homely and pudgy she looks, she's the one who always takes her clothes off.

Okay, her character is the wittier, more confident and uninhibited one but why does she have to take her clothes off in every episode. The last scene of the premiere episode, she takes off her pants and we see a shot of her fat legs in the air. Its either very funny, self-absorbed or just plain disgusting.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 7501/15/2013

Someone at some point will get hold of her and polish the rough edges. There was a time when Julia Roberts' eyebrows were a mess and Madonna had a pot belly. She's at the beginning of her career. After her makeover, you will only hate her more, mark my words.

Yes, she has been extraordinarily lucky but she is talented and has done a movie, a book, and two seasons of her TV show by age 26. No one on Datalounge is part of her Target audience.

We all have a person whose success nauseates us. Mine is Bethenny Frankel. Everyone's entitled to a bete noire.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 7601/15/2013

[quote]No one on Datalounge is part of her Target audience.

I'm pretty sure some DLers shop at Target.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 7701/15/2013

a relative of mine thought she was handicapped. (because of how she walked)

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 7801/15/2013

[quote]Thank you all for showing me, in one short thread, why my visits to DL are less and less frequent. These feeble attempts at wit are just more examples of DL's decline.

I don't think people are trying to be witty. They are just venting.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 7901/15/2013

R77, do you think I deliberately capitalized target? Read the time stamp. It's been a long day.

Pound for pound, Dunham is less pretentious and annoying than Jodie Foster.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 8001/15/2013

R65 There's resentment because she's being considered as The Second Coming by some people when in fact she's a fugly entitled cuntbag! I mean is the show really that great? She's only 26 years old she's not some wiser older woman who's been there and done that. At least with someone like Candace Bushnell,she might have been a slut BUT her SATC columns were basically a document of her sexploits. Whereas, this seems like wish fulfillment for Dunham, the fat ,unattractive girl getting laid.

One other thing, the ratings are not that great are they? She must have a big fan in the HBO hierarchy because it's not a Sopranos or True Blood for HBO ratings wise.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 8101/15/2013

After all the promotion leading up to Sunday's premiere, I expected the numbers to be way up from the meager numbers last year.

No such luck. They were down slightly.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 8201/15/2013

She didn't deserve Best Actress over those other ladies. She's talented (although I'm not a fan), but not necessarily as an actress. That was ridiculous.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 8301/15/2013

Especially if it turns out that she wasn't acting in character, really R83.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 8401/15/2013

I agree with R64 and R71. And yeah, if she's so hip and edgy she wouldn't be crying over a Golden Globe. And like R64 I believe that she wants to be beautiful and will undergo a Hollywood transformation that will be attributed to 'diet and exercise'.

R83, Golden Globes always go to the hot young thing (or in this case, just young).

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 8501/15/2013

Howard Stern Says He Loves 'GIRLS' and apologizes to Lena Dunham

Howard Stern is sorry for his remarks about "Girls" creator and star Lena Dunham.

On Monday, according to TV Guide, Stern apologized for saying Dunham is "a little fat girl who kind of looks like Jonah Hill" and that watching the show "feels like a rape" because Dunham regularly gets naked earlier this month. "I don't want to see that," Stern said at the time.

"I felt bad because I really do love the show 'Girls,' and enjoy it, and I admire the girl who writes it," Stern said of Dunham on Monday. "It makes me feel bad, and I think she is getting the impression that I somehow think she's just a talentless little fat chick."

Dunham went on "Late Show with David Letterman" and said she loved Stern's "Girls" insults. "He said, 'Congrats to her. It’s so hard for little fat chicks to get anything going these days,'" Dunham said. "It put me in the best mood! I just want to be like, my gravestone says, ‘She was a little fat chick and she got it going.'"

Dunham walked away with some big honors at the 2013 Golden Globe Awards. In addition to winning Best Actress in a TV Comedy or Musical, Dunham's "Girls" took home the top Comedy honor, beating out heavyweights such as ABC's "Modern Family" and CBS's "The Big Bang Theory."

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 8601/15/2013

I think she is great, talented and I love the fact that she shows herself in such an unattractive light, I also like that she gets laid. Whether it is based in truth or not, who cares? It's positive. However, those tats? She alone is all you ever need to see when asking, should I get a tattoo?

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 8701/15/2013

Completely agree with R84 and R83. She's not at all very skilled as an actor, even at playing a version of herself, and I'm not sure what's at stake with this woman. Very peculiar.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 8801/15/2013

R87 I would have more respect if she didn't get laid on the show. Even for fatty,fugly sluts it's not that easy to get laid in the real world. It's Dunham trying to feel good about herself. She needs to have an affair with a much older man on the show, just for the shock value of it all!

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 8901/15/2013

She's going to lose a lot of weight, and as someone mentioned, we'll dislike her more. Though I don't really care about her appearance.

I grew up in NYC and did some youth theatre and whatnot. I worked with a few young-ish people who either have or are now enjoying some decent success in TV or film (fanbase wise).

A couple of these people used to be fat, and now they're not (and that's when they started getting work). It's gross to me, because I know they had to develop such try-hard eating disorders. Or, moreso, that they're just THAT desperate to be popular.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 9001/15/2013

Hisssssssssssssss

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 9101/15/2013

wow - it's amazing that a women is still considered property in the 21st century.

HOW DARE she be fat, and unattractive!!! Isn't it every women's duty to be thin and pretty for men?

Really, I expected more from a progressive site like DL.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 9201/15/2013

Her "art" is just not special.

She has stereotypical views about herself and value in relation to men, so I can see why people (here included) feel entitled to assign further stereotypical criticisms to her. It's better to criticize her persona and work which are being forced upon us, but alas...

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 9401/15/2013

Why Lena Dunham is a Kardashian at Heart

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 9501/15/2013

I just wish the terrorists would kidnap and kill her already.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 9601/15/2013

[quote]Lena Dunham is fucking trash!!

Maybe trash feels good to her down there. And haven't you ever heard of recycling?

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 9701/15/2013

I have no issues with her weight, it's those fucking gross tattoos that get at me.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 9801/15/2013

That tattoo on her arm/ham hock looks like varicose veins and a bad circulation problem.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 9901/15/2013

I have no idea who she is or what she's done, but I saw a clip of her at the Golden Globes and she was revolting as fuck

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 10001/15/2013

She did a show in which her menopausal mother was a screaming wild woman because she had just run out of her estrogen supplement. I guess she think it's like taking an aspirin that delivers immediate relief. I wondered how that got past the story editor and then realized that there's no one there on board to tell her when she's fucked up.

The ugliest tats I've ever seen. I don't want to see any more of her body than is absolutely necessary.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 10201/15/2013

Do people on her hate out of boredom or something?

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 10301/15/2013

[quote]Do people on her hate out of boredom or something?

It's 1/4 the gross tatts and 3/4 the nepotism.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 10401/15/2013

r89, you are insane. Chubby/Fat girls can't get laid? In what universe do you live?

The guys she's fucking aren't models. I think it's a realistic representation of sex and the single chubby girl.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 10501/15/2013

That article at R95 is just drivel. Dunham is a very good writer. No one would accuse Woody Allen of being a Kardashian at heart.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 10701/15/2013

She's gross and so's that show, talk about a fugly cast.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 10801/15/2013

This enterprise looks inspired by Larry Clark's 90s film "Kids" - which I'm sure none of the writers-producers have even heard of.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 10901/15/2013

She is an ugly sow....BUT if she was a dude people wouldn't say shit about it (see under: Jack Black, Phillip Seymour Hobag, Zach Fattyganakis, Jonah Whale Hill, Seth Rogen).

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 11001/15/2013

It's a wonderful program. Y'all're just jealous Jack Antonoff doesn't sing you to sleep at night.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 11101/15/2013

Her show seems to be doing well yet I don't know a single person who watches it.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 11201/15/2013

r110, I've never seen any of those actors go without pants on a red carpet in an attempt to be cool, ironic, hipster, etc. (although I could see Zach doing it).

It's difficult to distinguish the misogyny, which does exist here, from the agism.

A lot of eldergays here are deeply offended by the lack of glamour in Hollywood. They are hyper critical of fashion, hairstyles, deportment, etc.

These men are upset with the aesthetic decline, and someone like Dunham gives them fits.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 11301/15/2013

R113, I am what you probably call "elder," and I think Lena Dunham is just fine, and I love her show. Mmmm...Adam.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 11401/15/2013

Some DLers must really be jealous. How can Dunham provoke this much outrage? Seriously.

People refer to things like "she's being treated like she's the Second Coming." But, specifically why does that upset you? Who cares. You don't have to view her that way. She's ugly, okay. I see ugly people everyday and it doesn't bother me. Really, I'm curious, why does Dunham really upset DLers, seemingly to their core.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 11501/15/2013

r115, probably for some of the reasons I stated above. She is just a sign of the end times to older gay men who live for the high glamour of old Hollywood.

The other thing that bothers people is the hipster element. I've seen otherwise civil comment sections become unhinged with anti-hipster vitriol. The 55 phyllo thin layers of irony they put on everything are just an excuse for lack of talent to a lot of people.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 11601/15/2013

Is she the one who did that amazing "First time" commercial for Obama? The girl in that had a very cute face and sweet smile. I don't think they showed her body too much.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 11701/15/2013

yes r117

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 11801/15/2013

R111 yeah, we're all so jealous.... Jackoff Antonoff makes Lena Dunham look like a supermodel!

R116 Hipster slime are rich brats who pretend to be downmarket. Case in point, Ms Dunham. She comes from a privileged background and had an in to the Hollywood industry could never imagine. She was born on third base and she acts like she got home all by herself!

The lavender mafia is so fabulous though. We should control every facet of Hollywood. We would at least greenlight wonderful shows not hipster trash like New Girl(with hipster goddess Zooey "Hi,I'm Weird" Deschanel) or Girls(which should be called Fugly and Fuglier).

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 11901/15/2013

re: her show, where's the funny?

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 12001/15/2013

The vitriol comes from a girl who appears to have been handed keys to the kingdom with little to no work. It's not the first time this has happened, obviously. But the salt on the wound seems to be her unattractiveness to boot.

[quote]Even for fatty,fugly sluts it's not that easy to get laid in the real world. It's Dunham trying to feel good about herself.

Fat chicks, ugly chicks, whatever you want to call them, get laid all the time and probably more so, because they are more plentiful and accessible.

I would imagine the easiest way to get laid in this world is by simply possessing a vagina and being willing to use it.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 12101/15/2013

Thanks R118 and thanks for the video. It was nice to see it again.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 12201/15/2013

[quote]I imagine she had to work extra hard to get where she is.

I don't care about how she looks, but this can't be true. She's obviously not lazy in manifesting her her "visions", but she had the money to do that. And her "average looks" were something that went along with her as a product.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 12501/15/2013

LENA DUNHAM IS FUCKING LINDSAY LOHAN?!?!

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 12701/15/2013

[quote] and hopefully, young girls and boys will learn that they can have "average looks" and be successful.

But...that's not true.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 12801/15/2013

[quote]I've never seen any of those actors go without pants on a red carpet in an attempt to be cool, ironic, hipster, etc. (although I could see Zach doing it).

She would be hated without having done that (and she was probably hated before it); all it did was give the catty bitches here more ammunition. In general, DLers get very offended by women who don't look the way they think women ought to. And yes, it is specifically women. They don't have the same conniptions over fat, ugly and/or unglamorous men, celebrities or otherwise.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 12901/15/2013

R129, are you serious? The DL Boylimia and Manorexia Support Group is just as vicious about Freddie Smith, who plays Sonny on Days of Our Lives. Read that thread for some boy-on-boy hatred.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 13001/15/2013

Interesting that this thread is the first result that comes up when you search for Lena Dunham. Does that mean Lena Dunham is reading this?

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 13101/16/2013

[quote]That said, I imagine she had to work extra hard to get where she is.

Uh, the reason she's so loathed is because it was her connections (or, more specifically, her parents connections) that got her where she is today.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 13201/16/2013

Considering that Lena supports gay marriage, I hope she doesn't read this thread

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 13301/16/2013

[quote] the reason she's so loathed is because it was her connections (or, more specifically, her parents connections) that got her where she is today.

Then it should be a simple matter to link to the Josh Brolin is fucking trash thread, the Scott Cann is a no-talent midget thread, the Jason Reitman is a hack thread, or the Oliver Hudson shoulde be a bigger stah thread.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 13401/16/2013

What about the delightful and beautiful Zosia Mamet???

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 13501/16/2013

Nature's coddled mistakes

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 13601/16/2013

R134 That should be the Entitled Nepotistic Hollywood Cunt Thread! Brolin is actually a better actor than his dad, Caan is a sucha sorry little closeted queen and possible power bottom and the other two are complete trash/crap.Don't forget Queen Cuntbag herself, Gwen Paltrow either......

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 13701/16/2013

Would I rather watch a less-good show by someone whose family isn't "connected"?

Nope. Doesn't matter to me in the least.

Love you, Lena. Don't let the bitterness get you down. They're just jealous.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 13801/16/2013

I've been fucked by many unattractive men and vegetables, but I've never been reduced to the desperate humiliation of having to fuck the trash.

I will pray for her.

Bless her heart.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 13901/16/2013

I had more respect for her as a writer before I saw the DVD extras.

Her cast ad lib most of their lines.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 14001/16/2013

Has there ever been a reaction on DL to any woman comparable to this?

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 14101/16/2013

It is sort of fascinating. Sad, but fascinating.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 14201/16/2013

[quote]Then it should be a simple matter to link to the Josh Brolin is fucking trash thread, the Scott Cann is a no-talent midget thread, the Jason Reitman is a hack thread, or the Oliver Hudson shoulde be a bigger stah thread.

Well, no one has tried to tell us that we weren't cool unless we liked any of the above.

None of the above have implied much interest in speaking for other people or about people in general. And come on, screw the "I'm not a role model" stuff.

That's probably the biggest difference here.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 14301/16/2013

Her show isn't really any worse than any show made by lazy well-connected fat and ugly little boy "geniuses".

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 14401/16/2013

Such as?

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 14501/16/2013

Ok, I just watched Tiny Furniture and thought it was about nothing. I disliked everyone in it, not just LD. Creepy how they all sleep in the bed with the mother.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 14601/16/2013

Oh, please. Her parents are NY artists, not Hollywood big wigs. You act like she's Cody Horn or something.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 14701/16/2013

[quote]No one would accuse Woody Allen of being a Kardashian at heart.

She's a MUCH better writer than Woody Allen, who these days writes 20 year-old characters who for some reason sound like Borscht Belt comedians.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 14801/16/2013

You are really naive, R147. Her parents probably know a lot of film people from parties and gallery openings. Rich people mingle with other rich people. That's just how it is.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 14901/16/2013

Ugh. I think we can agree that neither Lena's nor Woody's writing has ultimately made anyone a better or inspired person.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 15001/16/2013

R149 is right. The visual arts industry is full of socialites who intermingle with people of other "arts". You just don't hear all of their names.

But that doesn't really matter too much to me, either. It's most bothersome to me how hard she's being pushed as someone who doesn't want to be pushed hard. Like the epitome of that mythological thing we call a hipster. But she's in the business and obviously wants to be listened to (and it's her job to make that happen now). It makes no sense for what she "contributes", and it's utterly annoying. That's why it helps to vent on this site of bitchery.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 15101/16/2013

Woody's movies are really thin, and her stuff has even less. At least Diane Keaton's charm brightened up some of Woody's movies.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 15201/16/2013

"She has stereotypical views about herself and value in relation to men"

This is true. I thought there would be something different about her stuff, given the hype - but there wasnt't. The only different thing IS her appearance (and maybe trotting out how spoiled/lazy she is).

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 15301/16/2013

Thin? Crimes and Misdemeanors... Hannah and Her Sisters... How are those thin?

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 15401/16/2013

Manhattan? Annie Hall? Even the early, funny movies.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 15501/16/2013

Not to turn this into an argument of whether W.A. has ever done a downright masterpiece, R154, but many films have said the same things and *cough* said them better *cough*. But it does depend on preference, obviously. I can see how some might find those films accessibly profound, but not everyone. So it goes.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 15601/16/2013

Manhattan? Annie Hall? Even the early, funny movies = saved by Diane Keaton's charm

Crimes and Misdemeanors... Hannah and Her Sisters = They are some of his better ones, so a bit less thin, but they are kind of creepy and hollow.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 15701/16/2013

If you watch Tiny Furniture and then Girls, you realize she's kind of a one-trick pony. Plus, if you see her acting in anything else, like The Innkeepers, you realize she has a limited acting range as well. She certainly didn't deserve a Best Actress award.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 15801/17/2013

Did anyone see the new John Krasinski movie that Lena Dunham wrote? It went straight to DVD. It was about her moving into John Krasinski's house, seducing him and breaking up his marriage.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 15901/17/2013

How much does Lena Dunham make a year? I will decide how much to hate her depending on the answer.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 16001/17/2013

Revolting, r159.

Simply revolting.... and unbelievable.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 16101/17/2013

R159, get your facts straight. You obviously haven't even seen the film, Nobody Walks.

Dunham is credited as co-writer but worked with the director/writer, Ry Russo-Young (who previously directed two mumblecore projects and here was moving on to more scripted, formalised material) in development at the Sundance Institute. Dunham doesn't even appear in the film.

Read the rave Variety review below.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 16201/17/2013

The idea that her NYC artist parents bought her a career in film is patently laughable. Do you really think it's that easy to get a TV show made?

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 16301/17/2013

Her parents are best friends with Judd Apatow, who produced her show. Her parents also are friends with Brian Williams and David Mamet.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 16401/17/2013

She looks like a chimpanzee on a tire swing. Who the fuck at HBO is allowing her to do nude scenes??!

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 16501/17/2013

r166 is a superstar!!!! yeah!!! well said!!!

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 16701/19/2013

Lena admits to being a fag hag IRL and she also said that her mother had a lot of homo boyfriends. Uh, I think she married one -Carroll Dunham is gay gay gay.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 16801/19/2013

[quote] her mother had a lot of homo boyfriends. Uh, I think she married one -Carroll Dunham is gay gay gay.

Is that another ripped-from-her diary episode?

Where Andrew Rannells outs himself to her, gets in a bitch fight with her, and says "It was nice to see you. You dad's gay." before swanning off?

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 16901/19/2013

What R166 said. However, I think the Adam character is butt ugly.

I can believe that Hanna would have a bf but not that she would get hit on so frequently and not Marnie. That's why I feel Durnham is narcissistic and creating this fantasy for herself.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 17001/19/2013

"I'm a lifelong feminist and I find her body repulsive. This is like Woody Allen having hot young girlfriends in his films. He may be able to get them but only because he has $70 million and the ability to cast roles in his films."

Virtually EVERY movie pairs an unattractive, often significantly older, out of shape man with a hot babe. This is standard for the movies and TV. Why does it draw so much ire the 1 out of 1000 times the genders are reversed?

The man Lena's character is banging is pretty unattractive himself. You seem to be the sort of brain washed "feminist" with a double standard for grading attractiveness in men and women.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 17101/19/2013

It's not like mismatches in attractiveness don't happen in real life. Also, some guys like bigger girls. My brother is straight and likes curvy women. There are both gay and straight chubby chasers.

Also, the boyfriend character is not attractive. I don't see it as a big mismatch at all.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 17201/19/2013

R171, I hate Seth Rogen's films just as much for the same reason. And Adam may have an Alfred E Newman face but he has nice hair and a very nice physique.

The woman needs to go to a gym and develop some muscle tone if she's going to inflict her naked body on us. What does it take to hire a personal trainer? Instead, her mission is to go on Howard Stern's show and argue that she's not fat for say, Cincinnati.

She's a talented girl. Her essay on Nora Ephron was delightful. Her Obama commercial was charming. But the camera doesn't love her, sorry.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 17301/19/2013

"She's a talented girl."

Exactly, she doesn't HAVE to be pretty anymore than a talented man has to be handsome (which 95% of them aren't anyhow but for some reason people don't give them shit about it).

People LOVE to harass women about their looks, it's power tripping and nothing else.

Because, above all, women, from the diaper to the grave, have to be HOT.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 17401/19/2013

Nora Ephron was a total hack, the fact that Lena worshiped her says it all to anyone with taste.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 17601/19/2013

R174, women don't have to be hot from diaper to grave. I just want the woman to go to a gym and develop some muscle tone if I have to look at her naked body.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 17701/19/2013

"I just want the woman to go to a gym and develop some muscle tone if I have to look at her naked body."

But chubby men are ok, right? Her body is shown within the often comedic context of the show. She doesn't need to live up to your wacked standards of how "toned" or not a women's body should be. Most male comics are ugly as shit and frequently expose their bodies (think Will Ferrell). She's not a model.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 17801/19/2013

Agree with r171 and r174

Enough with judging women on their looks. Being unattractive seems to be a felony.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 18001/19/2013

She is her generation's Liza Minnelli.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 18101/19/2013

Was she born disabled or did she become that way later in life?

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 18201/19/2013

She's the Rosanne Barr of the 2010s.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 18401/19/2013

She's the weak link in the show. I know that we're supposed to laugh at Hannah's foibles and pretensions but we're also supposed to cheer for her and identify with her, which I find impossible. We're supposed to say "atta girl" when she tells Adam he doesn't get to decide that they're staying together. But it was never clear what he saw in her in the first place or why he's pining away for her. That's the disconnect in this show.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 18501/22/2013

[jealous]

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 18601/25/2013

[quote] I'm a lifelong feminist and I find her body repulsive. This is like Woody Allen having hot young girlfriends in his films. He may be able to get them but only because he has $70 million and the ability to cast roles in his films. There's no way that Hannah could attract the Adam Driver character in real life. You're supposed to think that her high self esteem makes her irresistible. But no fit, handsome straight man will overlook cottage cheese thighs and no waist in a 23 year old. She is the stereotypical fag hag. To show Hannah getting laid right and left but Marnie pining away reverses the laws of nature. They ought to rename this mess, "First World Problems."

You're a lifelong feminist and yet you're a pretty terrible one because your holding Lena to a different standard than Woody Allen. Classic.

Ok, let's see who Lena's casting herself against in forty years, but I call BS. Adam Driver is like accidentally hot in the bod. His face is not too good looking for her on the show or in real life at all. In real life, Woody married Mia.

In his movies, Woody played against beauties in their 30s when he was 50, 60. Wake me if and when Lena tries that. To equate Lena and Woody is holding Lena to a harsher standard.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 18701/28/2013

[quote]In real life, Woody married Mia.

Nope

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 18801/28/2013

Are you denying that fact, R188? Or he 'got lucky' because of his fame. That I'll buy. But not a lot of people questioned that aesthetic pairing. People didn't line up to say Mia's too goodlooking for him. Adam Driver is not a beauty.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 18901/28/2013

They were never married, R189. They never even lived together. Allen's only wife was Louise Lasser.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 19001/28/2013

Oh! whoops

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 19101/28/2013

"Her parents are best friends with Judd Apatow, who produced her show."

Patently false. And stop making shit up.

Apatow met Dunham for the first time after her movie Tiny Furniture won the top prize at SXSW. He saw it there, loved it, and reached out to her.

Nor did Dunham know WIlliams until she auditioned for the show.

Loser.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 19201/28/2013

I'll get off the soapbox and I get that it's part of the bitchery on here but this is really Sexism 101 stuff. Woody Allen puts himself in implausible romantic leading roles for decades but Lena can't even catch 1/2 a break on a gay message board. I'm not saying she's perfect but Woody mostly got a pass. No one says shit about how Jonah Hill or Seth Rogen look.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 19301/28/2013

[quote]She's the weak link in the show.

Agree. There are quite a few other lead actresses who deserve nominations over her, let alone wins.

Criticism of her looks is normal, but the sheer extent of it does kind of baffle me when there are other (and more important, imo) things about her to discuss critically.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 19401/28/2013

Jesus fucking Christ, this bitch is NOT "brilliant!" That word gets tossed around entirely too much on Datalounge, and God knows it doesn't apply to Lena Dunham.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 19501/28/2013

[quote]no fit, handsome straight man will overlook cottage cheese thighs and no waist in a 23 year old.

Well, that lets out Adam Driver. Handsome he is not.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 19601/28/2013

[quote]But chubby men are ok, right?

You've summed up the prevailing ethos on Datalounge exactly! We are always so incredibly approving of chubby men.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 19701/28/2013

So, did she waddle at the Golden Globes because she's disabled or can't walk in heels?

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 19801/28/2013

I think the show is good, not great. The critics are into it because it is somewhat different from what they normally see, thus it is the recipient of a lot of buzz. There aren't really any other shows on TV exploring this scene. It's a bunch of privileged white girls trying to live the hipster lifestyle in Brooklyn/NYC while they find themselves in their 20s. I don't think the show deserves the heaps of praise it receives from some corners, nor do I think it deserves the scorn from the haters either.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 19901/28/2013

Lena is dating the guitarist from Fun.

The funny thing is he looks almost like Adam Driver but better looking. So it's possible chubby girls can get laid.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 20001/28/2013

R190, Woody had a prior marriage before he married Louise Lasser.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 20101/28/2013

I think people hate Lena because symbolizes that anamoly you see with some straight couples: hot male stud holding hands with fat cow wife.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 20201/28/2013

R202, Maybe that's why superficial people dislike her. Can't speak to everyone who does...

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 20301/28/2013

I think they're cute together.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 20401/28/2013

[quote] Lena can't even catch 1/2 a break on a gay message board

I just did a quick anal of the first 202 posts along two criteria: Lena as a person (appearance, etc.) and Lena's work (Girls, movies, etc.)

Posts break out:

Some aspect of "Pro" personal or work--15%

Some aspect of "Anti" personal or work--33%

Neutral on both axes (addressing something else)--59%

Conclusions: 1) the quote above is bullshit, 2) posters are much like the Hannah character, spending most of their effort talking about themselves, and 3) DL continues to be centered on gay gossip, news, and pointless bitchery.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 20501/28/2013

It's not the fact thst she's dumpy -- many people are dumpy. They just don't expose their dumpyness like she does -- except for the People of Walmart. I mean, why laugh at People of Walmart and then become all poker faced about a dumpy girl overexposing her body on the street and on HBO? Get a load of this purple short set she's wearing. She could totally fit in the PoW website, but since she's proclaimed an "artist" she gets a pass.

I don't recall Woody Allen walking around in public in short shorts and wife beaters. Whenever he showed his body in a movie, it was to make a self-deprecating joke. Lena Dunham is all, "I demand to expose my ugly parts," and the artiste crowd is all, "She has a right to expose her dumpy ass and swinging pouch stomach."

Chris Farley, John Candy, John Goodman and even the obnoxious John Belushi didn't appear in public and in movies wearing wardrobes that exposed their fat. And that's the difference with Lena Dunham. Even beautiful women don't walk the streets and appear at awards shows wearing too little clothing (I'm referring to her blue big shirt and short shorts she wore to an event in LA).

If she showed up at a job dressed this way, she'd be sent home. She's a grown woman, not a little girl.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 20701/28/2013

Data summary--

Pro Lena/Pro Girls 7 (4%)

Pro Lena/Neutral Girls 11 (6%)

Pro Lena/Anti Girls 0 (0%)

Neutral Lena/Pro Girls 3 (2%)

Neutral Lena/Neutral Girls 117 (59%)

Neutral Lena/Anti Girls 8 (4%)

Anti Lena/Pro Girls 5 (3%)

Anti Lena/Neutral Girls 40 (20%)

Anti Lena/Anti Girls 11 (6%)

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 20801/28/2013

Chris Farley

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 20901/28/2013

John Candy

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 21001/28/2013

John Goodman

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 21101/28/2013

Did anyone see sat night's episode of Girls?

Lena is running around almost topless with a see through top but we still don't get to see Marnie's boobs even though she's being fucked by that midget.

Btw, it was hilarious to see Elijah getting turned on by Marnie and talking about a couple of pumps he had with her.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 21201/28/2013

[quote] They just don't expose their dumpyness like she does

Kind of like how gay people shouldn't 'flaunt' it?

Is Lena doing this on purpose to push buttons? It's working. Say what you want about how she got here.. There's too many people who think that if you look like that you're not supposed to be confident or expose your body. Maybe it's kinda cool she's upending that.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 21301/28/2013

r209 patrick swazye has an enormous head. i mean gawd daaaamn!!

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 21401/28/2013

[quote] Conclusions: 1) the quote above is bullshit

You're a statistical genius, R205. Look again at the name of this thread.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 21501/28/2013

I don't get that. Twice as many people saying negative things (fair or otherwise) as positive things and the title of this thread does not 'catching 1/2 a break' make.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 21601/28/2013

LOVED watching Jorma Whatshisname pump that cute dimpled ass of his last night. Totally made up for having to watch Lena's boobs through that mesh thing for half the episode. (Though that was pretty funny.)

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 21701/28/2013

Lena called up Stern's show to complain about his calling her fat. It is pathetic yet perfectly consistent that either she or her minions are working this board.

She remains the weak link in this show.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 21801/28/2013

Her titties are nice. Shut up, you faggy nags!

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 21901/28/2013

Her tits are just awful. I really like the show, I think she's talented, I think she's funny, but goddamn, enough with those malformed flappers. She needs to get the bulb of her nose transplanted in her tiny, yet somehow saggy tits. And enough with the high belts. Oh and conversations on toilets.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 22001/28/2013

I wish they'd quit calling her pretty and hot. And I wish she'd dress a little better. I don't need to see the veins in her tits.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 22201/28/2013

She's no oil painting but she's got big, beautiful brown eyes and her new pixie do is adorable.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 22301/29/2013

[quote]Hannah needs to get off her flat flabby ass and get some type of job in her chosen field, even writing for a local free paper is better than her whining!

So I guess you didn't see the last episode? She was doing research for an article about taking drugs. Lamest excuse for research....the actor who plays Elijah is really funny though.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 22601/29/2013

Maybe she is the secret spawn of Mama June?

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 22701/29/2013

Unlike the cast of school friends Dunham has filled her series with. Andrew Rannels is an actual actor.

He was in Broadway's "Book of Mormon" and is currently on "The New Normal". He's great, that's why he's leaving this shit-fest show, he outshines the amateurish cast! Donald Glover is also out,

Now that Jessa has left her husband, the other professional actor, Chris O'Dowd who played her husbands, will most likely be off the show too.

Adam Driver is a an actor with an usual background, he was a Marine!

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 22801/29/2013

[quote]Most of us see assholes like Hannah at work, while traveling to work, while shopping, basically everywhere we go there are Hannahs, who needs to see them on TV? I don't.

This is a good point. It's not like the proposed commentary done by the show is calling anything worthwhile to action, on the part of its viewers. It's just calling people to keep watching these people.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 22901/29/2013

Last week she was interviewed by Kelly and Michael. Lena couldn't say a sentence without "like" every other word.

Told Kelly she grew up in SoHo, where Kelly lives. Not so. She was on Desbrosses Street in TriBeCa. Must've been trying to curry favor.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 23001/29/2013

Jesus. It's a TV show.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 23101/29/2013

What I love most about Lena is how she enrages a bunch of ugly, unsuccessful hateful gay men on an anonymous forum. Priceless.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 23201/29/2013

The snot rocket in the tub. Loathsome. I still watch though.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 23301/29/2013

Every week I discover something wrong with Girls. Characters are wonderful one week but morph into monsters the next. Hannah has no dry spells or rejections from lovers. Anyone over 30 is a pathetic stereotype--Jessa's inlaws, anyone?

None of this matters. Her dialogue is genuinely funny and the characters are people that millenials can relate to. The scene with the pseudo Jane Pratt was priceless.

With rare exception,the children of wealthy connected people from privileged backgrounds rule the world. Martin Peretz's kid is directing. How perfect is that?

The only thing I feel strongly about is not wanting to see Hannah's tits.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 23401/29/2013

[quote]Now that Jessa has left her husband,

I missed that. Is that what the whole "selling stuff on the front steps" scene was about?

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 23501/29/2013

I can't figure out why this young woman is supposed to be interesting. It seems as if most of her "fame" comes from not being attractive.

How many of her 15 minutes has she used up already?

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 23601/29/2013

"Last week she was interviewed by Kelly and Michael. Lena couldn't say a sentence without "like" every other word."

Did Kelly gush how "gorgeous" or how nice Dungham looked?

Kelly is always complimenting the female guests, it must be quite difficult when she doesn't have anything nice to say about a guest's appearance! Ha-ha!

Was the audience treated to Lena's huge cottage cheese thighs and a too short skirt?

Most guests, even the thin lightweight ones, have difficulties with the high chairs, Lena trying to get up there must have been priceless!

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 23801/29/2013

I'm still grossed out about Jessa's snot rocket in the tub. If she had peed in the tub it would have been fare less disgusting.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 23901/29/2013

"Her being so physically repulsive adds to most peoples disgust at her success."

Why would you resent the success of someone so "physically repulsive" if you weren't physically repulsive and unsuccessful yourself? Good looking people are too busy getting laid and having fun.

No one rags on physically repulsive successful men to this point of hysteria on display here.

Also, "flaunting" her "ugliness"? I guess we need to fault her much in the way homosexuals "flaunt" their homosexuality which clearly is a sign of arrogance.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 24001/29/2013

It has to be more than just her unattractive looks that sets off so many people.

There are plenty of seriously ugly people who don't garner anywhere near the level of vitriol that this girl gets. I don't watch the show (I am definitely not her demographic) so I'm not sure what the problem actually is, but it's there and it's not about her looks.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 24101/29/2013

"With rare exception,the children of wealthy connected people from privileged backgrounds rule the world. Martin Peretz's kid is directing. How perfect is that?"

What's your point? Jess Peretz has been working long before Lena Dunham had hit the scene.

Jesse has already proven himself as a person having talent. He was an original member of The Lemonheads, he's directed videos for the Foo Fighters as well as worked with Jane's Addiction. He's written and produced movies and has directed other TV shows besides "Girls".

The deal with nepotism is, once you get that proverbial foot-in-the-door, you then have to prove yourself, you can only skate on your connections for so long.

That's difference between Dunham and so many other 'children of privilege' with connections, it's just a matter of time that many will see her lack of talent.

It's appears she's being pushed on the public because she is such an anomaly in showbiz. This will eventually backfire, big time.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 24201/30/2013

For the person who asked about Jessa and her husband, yes, in the last episode, they had a huge argument and she left him. It appeared to me mutual. I don't know what the stoop sale had to do with it.

I assumed they were legally married? Jessa left with $11,000! Wasn't O'Dowd's character very wealthy, a successful broker? $11,000 as a divorce settlement?!! Jessa seems as if she could easily spend that amount in a month!

The dinner scene, at a restaurant, with the husband's uber Waspy annoying parents, particularly his extremely controlling nosey mother, who went on and on to Jessa about what her "job" was in the marriage, was funny. Griffin Dunne was really good in that scene.

A successful wealthy man who is still tied to his parents to that level? Really? That scene was very bizarre.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 24301/30/2013

Can we just assume that Marnie's going to get pregnant? Between the gay guy's "couple of pumps" and Jorma's "are you on birth control?" question before he came, it seems like a pretty obvious set-up.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 24401/30/2013

Have I missed an episode? Snot rocket? Jesse leaving her husband? The last episode that was broadcast on my tv was the cocaine binge.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 24501/30/2013

We're past this now but:

[quote]They were never married, [R189]. They never even lived together. Allen's only wife was Louise Lasser.

Woody was also briefly married to a woman named Harlene Rosen before Lasser -- at one point she sued him for defamation because of his jokes about her.

And he is married to Soon-Yi.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 24601/30/2013

R246, HBO released next week's episode early on HBO GO (and will air it a day earlier on Saturday) due to the Super Bowl.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 24701/30/2013

[quote] It has to be more than just her unattractive looks that sets off so many people.

She wears baby/toddler clothing. She's a grown woman. Its not cute.

I had a male relative who wore cartoon character shirts in his 30s. He got arrested for looking at underage pron. He was always childish, the baby of the family and he never grew up. It was creepy. She gives me the same creepy vibe.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 24801/30/2013

Can you be precocious and stunted at the same time?

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 24901/30/2013

Lena Dunham has to be the most insecure person working in Hollwood today. What writer has every other character on the show, tell her character, how beautiful and talented she is repeatedly throughout every episode?

The first season was much better because it revolved around all the characters. This season, so far, has been about nothing but Hannah and she is the least interesting of all the girls.

Dunham is also a terrible actress. She either screams her lines or it sounds like she is reading them or she does both at the same time. She must be a horror to deal with on the set.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 25001/30/2013

How can you be the voice of your generation when you just write about people just like you?

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 25101/30/2013

I like the show and Lena Dunham makes me laugh. I don't have conniptions when I see parts of her body exposed because I am a GROWN UP.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 25201/30/2013

Oh Lord, Lena is probably wetting her frumpy romper at this very moment.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 25301/30/2013

EW calls her beautiful?!? There goes the credibility of that magazine. Or were they being hipster ironic?

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 25401/31/2013

The last episode, with Jessa leaving her husband, was shown on TV, on HBO, it was on the day it was supposed to be shown, it wasn't on earlier on TV.

I don't know this series' schedule in other states, in NYC, it's on Sunday nights at 9PM, I assume the night is the same throughout the US, the time might be earlier or later.

In this coming Sunday's episode, we see Patrick Wilson, of all people, being attracted to Hannah. He sees on on the street, then invites her into his brownstone! Now this is getting fucking RIDICULOUS!

It isn't enough that, in nearly every episode, we have one of Hannah's friends telling her how beautiful and talented she is, well, in this Sunday's episode she gets picked up by PATRICK WILSON!!!

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 25502/01/2013

"He sees on on the street, then invites her into his brownstone! Now this is getting fucking RIDICULOUS!"

Yes, like Julia Roberts falling in love with Woody Allen. Like a January Jones being Liam Neeson's (three decades her senior) wife. Like Katherine Heigl falling in love with Seth Rogan. Like Sofia Vergara being Ed O'Neill's wife? You mean THAT kind of fucking ridiculous?

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 25602/02/2013

[quote]EW calls her beautiful?!?

They are referring to her mind (check the headline)

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 25702/02/2013

NOBODY is constantly telling Woody Allen, Seth Rogan, et al that they are handsome.

I've watched 2 eps and the thing that stands out the most is that people are constantly telling chubby, schlubby Hannah how beautiful she is. I've never seen that in a tv show or movie, even when the person is genuinely physically beautiful.

And it's not like her character is such a fun person that everyone loves her because they have such a good time with her. I've known unattractive people who seem so much less unattractive when you get to know them because of how much fun you have being with them. Her character is overly self-involved, makes idiotic decisions, and takes herself too seriously.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 25802/02/2013

"NOBODY is constantly telling Woody Allen, Seth Rogan, et al that they are handsome"

And yet, apparently a 17 year old Mariel Hemingway apparently finds a much older and very ugly Woody Allen hot enough to be in bed with him.

Katherine Heigl finds Seth hot enough to have sex with him and start a family with him. In "Hitch", Amber Valletta falls in love (and marries) with a chunky accountant played by Kevin James.

The jarring mismatch when it comes to super ugly men/gorgeous women doesn't seem to provoke the ire the reverse mismatch seems to provoke.

I think the overall resentment with Lena Dunham here is that since it's her project, she's making the rules. Some men, gay or otherwise, hate it when women don't follow their script. HATE IT. It's comical to watch on here and really shows what big hypocrites gay men are: Dunham is an ally to the gay community and, as per usual, women get nothing back when they are supportive of gay men.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 25902/02/2013

Meet Gerard Depardieu and Carole Bouquet:

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 26002/02/2013

Read the post again. Woody Allen et al are not constantly being told how handsome they are in their movies (or in real life). They know they're not handsome. They don't care. The women who are attracted to them aren't attracted to their beauty and the male friends of Woody Allen's characters don't tell Woody's character how handsome he is.

Lena Dunham's character is constantly being told how beautiful she is by both male and female characters. Her friends gush, "Hannah, you're so beautiful!" When did Tony Roberts ever tell Alvy Singer or any other Woody Allen character, "Oh God Alvy, you're so handsome!"

I am not discussing whether or not men are attracted to Lena Dunham's character as you are. Who knows why people are attracted to each other? What I am talking about is the characters constantly telling the Hannah character how beautiful she is. Different subject.

Are all the other characters constantly being told they are beautiful? No. Hannah doesn't seem to be spiritually beautiful any more than any of the other characters, so what's the deal? Why is she constantly being told she's beautiful when the other characters aren't being equally complimented? They are all at least as physically and spiritually beautiful as Hannah is.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 26102/02/2013

It's like the Barbra Streisand movie where a man suddenly looks at her in amazement and tells her how beautiful she is, or the old show Blossom, where everyone constantly told the heroine how (repeat) beautiful she was, or the tried and true Sarah Jessica is the most beautiful horse (whoops-no woman) on earth

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 26202/02/2013

You always tell your best girl friend she's 'beautiful' even when she's a fat, ugly cow. That's true to life.

And within Girls - you can always tell the friend is lying!

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 26302/02/2013

Men should be paid 3x their salary to have to tell ugly women how beautiful they are. I don't watch this shit and if she's writing the other characters to spout how beautiful she is I'm glad I don't. There's enough ugly in the world.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 26402/02/2013

No wonder James Blunt was so popular.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 26502/02/2013

"Men should be paid 3x their salary to have to tell ugly women how beautiful they are."

Women should be paid that and more when they have to tell ugly men how attracted they are to them.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 26602/02/2013

I agree with you R262.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 26802/02/2013

The recent EW cover story is yet more obnoxious gushing about the overrated Dunham and her craptaculous career. Are they serious? Where is the payola coming from? In my entire life, I don't remember such over-the-top hype about such a mediocre talent being shoved down the public's throats to this absurd level.

Dunham also blatantly lies about her upbringing! She states in this article that her entire family lived in a one room apartment. What type of one apartment was that Lena, a 3000 square foot one room better apartment, known as a LOFT in Tribeca or Soho!

Who the hell is she kidding, I real hope some of her former friends come out of the woodwork to tell her real story.

Both her parents have been very successful artists for many years, she needs to stop acting as if she grew up working class or that she comes from a background of struggles, she does not. She's been friendly with the children of the wealthy because she is a child of wealth.

She mentioned working in a video store, I doubt she worked there because she needed to!

Her parents also own a huge, what appears to be, Georgian mansion! It was featured in the New York Time's Q magazine last year or the year before. Meryl Streep is her parent's neighbor.

There is no way Dunham grew up in studio apartment in Manhattan, she needs to stop trying to curry favor with a demographic who are now beginning to realize they are not like her. The EW article does actually bring up that point, but glosses over it.

If huge Georgian brick mansion is the place the EW article describes as, IIRC, "homey", they too need to stop playing down her family's wealth.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 27002/02/2013

That should have read: "What type of one room apartment was that Lena, a 3000 square foot one room apartment, better known as a LOFT in Tribeca or Soho!?"

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 27102/02/2013

on the one hand I understand your resentment, r272....on the other... plenty of people are born with avantages and don't achieve what Dunham has. I know a lot of struggling artists from privliged backgrounds, children of the very rich and/or very famous, who work VERY hard, and are VERY well-connected, but who still don't enjoy Dunham-like success. And I know plenty more who don't really try at anything at all. THat Dunham is finding success at ALL as an actress, given how dumpy and plain she looks, is remarkable...your parents could be Marilyn Monroe and Harvey Weinstein, but with a face like that, you'd have a tough time getting work in show business.

the fact of the matter is that nobody gets what Dunham has based on nepotism and luck. Being born on third base may have been a blessing, but her looks probably put her back on second. And getting to home plate, even from third base in Hollywood, is hardly a cake walk.

What's Rumor Willis done lately?

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 27202/02/2013

I don't like Lena Dunham but I also don't like Seth Rogen, Jonah Hill or Jason Segel. All of these people were foisted on the world by Judd Apatow, who's got some nerve.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 27302/02/2013

More chunky/fat unattractive male actors: Jack Black, Zach Galifianakis, Luke Wilson.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 27402/02/2013

Thank you, [R273]. The vitriol here is demoralizing (and yes, I know, pointless bitchery is explicitly called for in the masthead)!

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 27502/02/2013

She won a DGA Award tonight.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 27602/03/2013

R275, Isn't Luke supposed to be the attractive Wilson brother?

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 27702/03/2013

[quote]The recent EW cover story is yet more obnoxious gushing about the overrated Dunham and her craptaculous career. Are they serious? Where is the payola coming from?

That story was vomit-inducing, and an embarrassment to EW. If I see her called 'the voice of a generation' one more time, I'm going to projectile vomit all the way to NYC. Maybe she's the voice of a certain subset of over-privileged white twat East Coast hipsters, but that's not the way the media is framing it - they really think that there's some kind of universally relatable storytelling going on there. Uh, NO.

Every article I come across about her now reads like a refutation of her detractors by the journalist, hell-bent on 'proving' that the criticism she receives is invalid. The media is propping her up like crazy.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 27802/03/2013

The gays love her. She's our new gay icon.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 27902/03/2013

Lena's ugliness/weight has nothing to do with the vitriol directed toward her. I can't stand the bitch because she's not even remotely talented, yet she's being shoved down the public's throat.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 28002/03/2013

I've never heard of this person but I wonder if she is related to the POTUS, as his mother was named Dunham.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 28102/03/2013

Okay, she is a little on the unattractive side, and women are judged more about looks than men. The thing that bothers me, aside from the heavy promotion of her, is that when I finally watched her stuff, it was the same old crap about women thinking about men all the time and trying to get a man. Yuck. How fucking old, tired, retrograde and anti-feminist. Again.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 28202/03/2013

[r278]: not anymore.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 28302/03/2013

[quote] Marnie tells Hannah she's beautiful a couple of times but isn't that how girls talk to each other?

No. And if they did, Lena would tell other characters they were beautiful as often as they tell her character she is beautiful.

Her show seems to be written by a precocious adolescent, not an adult woman.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 28802/03/2013

Who is Lena Dunham fucking these days?

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 29102/03/2013

Look closely at the board R293. See the part where it mentions gossip and pointless bitchery? It's been there for over a decade. This is Datalounge, not your Drama Critique 101 class.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 29302/03/2013

R296, you forgot about the cute pharmacist she bedded in her hometown, the professor who ogled her at some book club reading last year. Next week, Patrick Wilson is hitting on her!

The girl is a real narcissist. Is this what really happens in her life? A fine-looking guy like PW hits on her? I can't believe she never had a scene where her character was rejected by a guy. I had a BFF who was outgoing, lively and flirtatious but average-looking like her. She had to deal with lots of rejections from men. We don't see this in Hanna's world. She is depicted as the most alluring human being ever, even having a better love life than beautiful Marnie. What makes people hate her character so much is not her looks but her over-inflated opinion of herself.

I think Hanna is one of the most despicable characters on that show. She treats her friends horribly and everything is all about her.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 29602/03/2013

[quote]And her friends? They say it without meaning it, as every friend does to their less attractive friends.

No. Once again, Dunham only speaks for her fellow insecure, well-connected, insular daughters of privilege. There is no backlash against "Girls," since no one outside of the NYC-based media/publishing/1% elite cared about the show in the first place. Her pathetic PR flacks have realized this, and are now scrambling to do damage control by pretending that the low ratings and criticisms are due to anything but Dunham's lack of talent, racism and general repulsiveness. John Cook puts it perfectly:

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 29702/03/2013

[qoute]Who is Lena Dunham fucking these days?

Junkies, sociopaths, circus freaks, rotting corpses, German shepards, telephone poles...

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 29802/03/2013

R297, You forgot that Hannah is also not played by someone who can act well. Or maybe I should say: someone who can conceal her unappealing acting habits (which are due to lack of skill).

Which is unfortunate, because the actress is supposed to be playing a version of herself. Or, maybe not. I get confused every time she and the press switch gears in favor of herself.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 29902/03/2013

[quote]I think Hanna is one of the most despicable characters on that show. She treats her friends horribly and everything is all about her.

Yeah, that's the point. You aren't supposed to like Hannah. We're supposed to take away that she's an immature, selfish, self-centered asshole. Which I'll take over the preening Sex and the City women, who were held up as icons, with absolutely NOT irony.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 30002/03/2013

*NO irony.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 30102/03/2013

Did Dunham really imply she grew up in a one room studio apt when, in fact, her home was a LOFT? If so, the bitch deserves all of our contempt.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 30202/03/2013

At least she didn't claim it had a dirt floor, too.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 30302/03/2013

You might not supposed to like the characters, but, AGAIN, the show has done little to take that anywhere of interest or significance. I don't care if the point is ironically just that.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 30502/03/2013

Well, R305, I can't take anything you say seriously either. So you are saying her character is not supposed to be likeble but and then can't be Believe people are slamming her? If her character showed was at least a little likablility, she wouldn't draw so much hate.

I don't think her character has addressed her own shortcomings or is even aware of how she is perceived by others. I guess when Lena was growing up, her parents praised her no matter what---which is a good thing---but does that mean we have to be exposed to her naked tits and fatty thighs and butt every week?

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 30602/03/2013

One or two fangirl harpies always crawl out from under their rocks to "defend" their celebrity crush on the DL.

What's funny (ha-ha and odd) is how Dunham is being defended as some kind of feminist icon for young women when she's nothing of the kind. The DL fangirls are just using her as their latest blunt object with which to bash a) gay men and b) attractive women. They are transparent and tedious, much like Dunham herself. It's clear that these pseudo-fangirls don't actually like Dunham or her work. They're just knee-jerk defending her because she has a vagina.

The problem with Lena Dunham is not her vagina. It's not her average face or flabbiness or inability to walk in high heels. It's that her relentless narcissism isn't funny or smart and her current success is undeserved. Like many in the younger generation, Dunham has an overdeveloped sense of self-esteem and an underdeveloped sense of modesty.

She is as unattractive and self-absorbed as Woody Allen without one iota of his talent.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 30702/03/2013

I am convinced she has friends and interns defending her on this board.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 30802/03/2013

"Some bore actually bothered to write a post speculating on the size of the apartment Dunham grew up in in New York? Do you read these dull posts before you hit "send"? Try to be a fucking REAL critic and focus on the content of what you seem to detest so much, you bores."

Once again the DL lack of reading comprehension rears it's ugly head!

In the cover article about Dunham, in this weeks ET Weekly magazine, Lena HERSELF mentioned growing up in a one room apartment. She's clearly trying to play down her wealthy boho downtown NYC upbringing.

Both parents are wealthy successful artists. Their huge suburban home is anything but "cozy", her mother's Tribeca lofts worth can even be Googled.

Bottom line, this no-talent cannot play it both ways, the backlash is warrated.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 31102/04/2013

Here's Salon to tell us we're sexist if we don't want to look at cottage cheese thighs. This is so boring. If you don't like this woman, it must be that you're jealous of her success or talent or that you've been brainwashed to expect women's bodies to meet unreasonable standards. I call bullshit. It's no sin to have small tits and a pear-shaped body but there's no excuse for flab at age 26, particularly when you can afford a diet meal service and a trainer. When you add the fact that she doesn't go one episode without a lover while Marnie is dying on the vine, you realized that you're trapped inside Lena's fantasy world and tripping over that tiny furniture.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 31202/09/2013

R313, Marnie fucked the gay guy and the artist. All the men at the high end club she works for want to fuck her. She only got the job because of her looks. Marnie is far and away the most beautiful on the show and that fact is made clear over and over. Marnie is also the most traditional, however (which is why sex with the gay guy was such a great, awkward scene). And that can get in the way of one's sex life.

Comparing Marnie's sex life to Hannah's is silly. They come from different places and have different needs and much different goals.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 31302/09/2013

Being jealous of Dunham's success is one thing. Having her work thrown up on us by media and celebrities, and being chastised en masse if we don't think she's a genius, is another thing.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 31402/09/2013

Oh, whoops! I forgot to sign my last post.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 31502/09/2013

I agree with you, R315. If people simply criticized the efficacy or execution of her show, of her characters, of her writing, I'd love it. I happen to thoroughly like the show, but would quite enjoy a spirited debate over whether it's worthy of all the acclaim or not. But that's not what's happening. It's that she's fat and ugly and successful only due to nepotism and gets laid and wears the wrong outfits and should never be seen naked and blah blah blah.

I will admit I get so sick of gay men (yes, I'm one) and our "lookism". It's exhausting. Here's a smart, interesting woman who has a somewhat fresh take on what it's like to be a young woman in a niche part of the world and all we talk about is how ugly and fat she is. It's disappointing to me.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 31602/09/2013

None of the performers on that show are actors. They are so wooden, so amateurish, and Dunham has zero chemistry with the actors who play her parents. When they're on screen together they give the impression they all met 10 minutes ago. Really, they make the "Sex and the City" "girls" look like accomplished thesps.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 31702/10/2013

[quote]I would say that Woody Allen isn't as talented as he's made out to be.

You would say that and you would be dead wrong, R310.

[quote]I know you wrote that "the problem isn't her average face", but you ended your post commenting, yet again, on her unattractiveness. Which, of course, is at the true heart of your criticism.

R311, you referenced R302, but that makes no sense when reading R302. You quoted me @R308. Now that we have that sorted, you are completely full of shit.

I ended my post with a Woody Allen comparison because the DL harpies were bitching that Woody Allen is just as ugly as Lena Dunham and no one gives him any shit. It's only vagina-persons who get picked on! Total bullshit. Here's the thing, Woody Allen is to Lena Dunham as Martin Scorsese is to Bret Ratner.

I don't mind unattractive and average looking people. What I mind are untalented and annoying people. The problem with Gilbert Gottfried is not his looks, get it?

Lena Dunham is unattractive. Mentioning that fact does not automatically render one a misogynist. Don't tell me what "of course" is "at the true heart" of my posts. You're faux-omniscience is ridiculous and you couldn't possibly be more wrong.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 31802/10/2013

[quote]None of the performers on that show are actors. They are so wooden, so amateurish, and Dunham has zero chemistry with the actors who play her parents. When they're on screen together they give the impression they all met 10 minutes ago. Really, they make the "Sex and the City" "girls" look like accomplished thesps.

AMEN. FOREVER.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 31902/10/2013

R319, sorry for the typing the wrong post number and thanks for fixing that.

I don't think you're a misogynist by your posts, I think you're a lookist. But whatever, if you say you're not, then I shall take you at your word.

As far as Dunham's talent, I love the show. I look forward to it every week. I think it's smart, witty, and, yes, very niche. I absolutely understand why it's not for everyone. But acting like Dunham is a Kardashian doesn't make any sense to me. She is absolutely talented. Is she Virginia Woolf or Joan Didion or even Amy Heckerling? No. That doesn't mean she lacks talent. What she does obviously doesn't resonate with you. That's fine. But why attack her personally or those that like her? Attack her work. Which is something you haven't done. And calling her tedious or possessed with an overly developed sense of self esteem doesn't count. Again, it's attacking her, not her work. See R318 for someone who I don't agree with, but who's opine I respect.

And enough with the vagina-persons nonsense. That's obviously a personal thing with you. I couldn't give a shit less about her gender.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 32002/10/2013

Can I attack her tattoos? What the hell are they?

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 32102/10/2013

That was one of the worst episodes.

Patrick Wilson suddenly beds her and begs her to stay? Now I know this is her fantasy. And she can't help showing her naked dumpy body.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 32202/10/2013

I love Lena if for nothing else than have the misogynists get all riled up over HOW DARE SHE SHOW HER LUMPY BODY!!

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 32302/10/2013

I'm female, btw and it's insulting that she wants to expose her tits every fucking episode. It's okay if it's part of the storyline but now it's getting fucking ANNOYING.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 32402/10/2013

This episode was difficult to watch. She needs her sidekicks and their subplots otherwise the fact that she's a crazy and unlikeable bitch punches you in the face (and cums on it) instead of lightly you slapping you.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 32502/10/2013

Does she have something to do with FUN. (her boyfriend's unskilled band) winning two Grammys so far this evening (and more to come, unfortunately)?

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 32602/10/2013

R U Serious, R327? SOME NIGHTS is the only pop album I've really liked a lot in years.

You're letting your insane hatred of Lena Dunham affect everything. I hope for your sake you're able to pay attention at work, that you can keep your mental illness in check at least for that part of your day.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 32702/10/2013

CALM DOWN, R328. If you enjoy FUN., that is good for you. Objectively speaking, they are not good musicians. While they weren't nominated with absolutely great musicians for the most part, they were absolutely not the best in either of those categories.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 32802/10/2013

She's "the voice of a generation" according to EW. She's on the cover of Interview. I admit, I am staying away from the show because of all the hype. I'll probably watch it after it's ended and Dunham has a bunch of failed second projects. (Remember Diablo Cody?)

The media's fickle.

And Patrick Wilson? Really?

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 32902/10/2013

The show does what good comedy is supposed to. It reveals the foibles of its characters. Its Curb Your Enthusiasm crossed with Sex and the City. People in their 20's can be immature and self-absorbed and make mistakes. These are characters. People confuse the character for her.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 33002/10/2013

I'm glad I don't pay attention to the behind the scenes talk about Lena Dunham and everything because I love Girls. It's fucking hilarious.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 33102/10/2013

I agree that she needs the other characters to make it a comedy. Seeing her fuck Patrick Wilson for 30 minutes was painfully unfunny.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 33202/10/2013

OK this time she slept out of league and got told she's beautiful. Again. It was a fantasy.. I liked this episode.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 33302/11/2013

Someone call the authorities! Patrick Wilson was blinking for help. I know it!

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 33402/11/2013

"OK this time she slept out of league and got told she's beautiful. Again. It was a fantasy.. I liked this episode."

If you want to see a fantasy....go watch a Jean Cocteau film! At least it's visually stunning, it's not repulsive to watch!

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 33502/11/2013

I will find this show tolerable when she goes to bed with a really good looking guy and he never calls her again...or he calls her at 2 a.m. drunk and says, "Hey, want to come over," and then pretends he doesn't know her when he runs into her with his girlfriend. That is reality for funny, chubby girls like Hannah.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 33602/11/2013

She had sex with that really cute guy from back home. I doubt he ever called her.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 33702/11/2013

"None of the performers on that show are actors. They are so wooden, so amateurish, and Dunham has zero chemistry with the actors who play her parents. When they're on screen together they give the impression they all met 10 minutes ago. Really, they make the "Sex and the City" "girls" look like accomplished thesps."

I despise this show, Dunham and the relentless hype surrounding this show, though I must correct your post.

Most of the male leads are actors. Adam Driver, a former marine, has done stage work and he was recently in "Lincoln". Christopher Abbott has been in the film " Martha Marcy May Marlene" and guested on many TV shows before this one.

The Irish actor, Chris O'Dowd who played Jessa's husband, has been in many movies, most notably "Bridesmaids. Andrew Rannells was in "Book of Mormon" on Broadway and is currently starring in the NBC series "The New Normal".

Zosia Mamet, has acted before. Her half sister, also an actress, is currently on "The Neighbors".

James LeGros, Kathryn Hahn, Peter Scolari, Becky Ann Baker, Richard Masur and Billy Morrissette, these are some of the actors and actresses who have guested on "Girls". They might not be on YOUR radar, but they've all been acting for many years.

One of the main reasons why Dunham's amateur acting is so obvious, she is surrounding herself with people who have been trained and have been acting on TV series, films and stage for years. Dunham doesn't have natural acting talent, she's utterly one note, she either whines or screeches. She has no charm or charisma.

A bit OT, as for the SATC actresses, all of them had been acting for years before SATC, especially SJP and Cynthia Nixon, they've both been acting since they were in their teens. Get a clue.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 33802/11/2013

Meh. Patrick Wilson isn't as hot as he used to be. It was believable he'd hook up with her. He had just separated from his wife and she was .... there! I've told people they're beautiful even if I didn't really feel it. You guys are too literal minded.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 33902/11/2013

"Meh. Patrick Wilson isn't as hot as he used to be. It was believable he'd hook up with her. He had just separated from his wife and she was .... there! I've told people they're beautiful even if I didn't really feel it. You guys are too literal minded."

This is not true. I constantly see the troll-ish, very short, not-attractive-in-the-least, no personality manager of my local drugstore constantly hitting on all the very good looking female customers. I'm somewhat friendly with one of these women, we are both regular customers, she told me that he's relentless, she added "Doesn't he have a mirror?" Good looking women don't fuck trolls unless they are wealthy.

Even for a quick fuck, a man who looks like Patrick Wilson, is a doctor, or has another lucrative career, would not pick up such a homely woman as Hannah, not with so many attractive available women in NYC.

I'm a gay man, but I see tons of good looking women on the subway and just walking around my neighborhood, they look closer to Marnie than Hannah!

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 34002/11/2013

Uh-oh, now she's done it. She written herself fucking Patrick Wilson, and for that she can NEVER be forgiven!

It's almost like she's reading Datalounge.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 34102/11/2013

Most Marnies wouldn't throw a quickie fuck. That's the thing about the Hannahs of the world: They give it up. Easily.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 34202/11/2013

Her body is like watching a mountain of melting pizza cheese with two slices of pepperoni.

There's "comfortable" and then there's gratuitously gross.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 34302/11/2013

Anyone watch her on The Grammys tonight? She looks gorgeous in her canary yellow dress and she learned her lesson on not wearing heels. Thank god she didn't waddle up the stage again. Flats are your friend, girlfriend. And it was sweet that they thanked Lena in their acceptance speech since she was instrumental to their success.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 34402/11/2013

She looks beautiful.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 34502/11/2013

I actually have a friend who looked a lot like Hannah when we were in our 20s. She GOT LAID ALL THE TIME. Mostly by sidling up to hot guys and saying "let's go fuck." I never witnessed her being turned down and by 1am her phone was ringing off the hook by guys looking for repeats. Now, in her 40s she's pretty obese and recently had to quit drinking b/c her liver was failing (if she stays on the wagon, she'll be okay) She did get married but he died of a heart attack (booze related) and she is now pretty depressing to be around. Her tattoos are still cooler than Lena's tho.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 34602/11/2013

Canary yellow really is her color.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 34702/11/2013

Can you spot Lena in the crowd?

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 34802/11/2013

She did just that in Tiny Furniture, R337. The hot hipster guy fucked her in the street, then later made her hide with him behind a car when he thought he saw someone he knew. The ugly guy wouldn't touch her. Just used her for a place to crash while staying in New York and treated her like dog shit when, after a week staying with her, eating her food and drinking her booze, he had to find another place to stay.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 34902/11/2013

In next weeks episode,while lying naked on her back, she accidentally releases a softball sized turd blossom to her humpy Gynecologist. He is captivated by her open-ness and immediately begs her to marry him. She says she can't marry him because she still hasn't found herself yet. He rubs one out to her anal piercing, all while she eats a macaron. After her third visit, while eating a petite madeleine, she tells him that it's not going to work out and the least he could do is pay her rent for the month because she has, in so many ways,given him her truth by bestowing her self awareness on him.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 35002/11/2013

R339, I should have made it clear I was referring to the "Girls" only. But I think you'll agree that Mamet's previous acting credits can't conceal the fact that she's beyond awful in this role, even worse than Dunham.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 35102/11/2013

Posters are going batshit crazy at the IMDB "Girls" message forum re the Patrick Wilson episode and Dunham's nudity. It's pretty funny.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 35202/11/2013

Wilson is fading fast.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 35302/11/2013

"Good looking women don't fuck trolls unless they are wealthy."

Last time I checked, Patrick Wilson wasn't a woman. Men will take pretty much anything offered. Have you seen the trolls George Michael was tricking with?

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 35402/11/2013

Agree with R352, except I think they're equally bad. Just because someone has training in acting (years, even) doesn't make them good or good for every role. A few actors even get worse with training, depending on type.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 35502/11/2013

Bet Wilson's wife had to scrub him clean in the tub while he was in the fetal position when he came home:

His wife:

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 35602/11/2013

Oh my.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 35702/11/2013

I didn't used to think she was so sucky but am watching last night's Girls right now and it is bad. She is horrible as she acts like she is crying and giving some shitty speech that she probably thinks is pretty profound, and of course includes someone cumming on her chest. She is the worst.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 35802/11/2013

Even though the writing on this episode was subpar, it was so obviously a fantasy. The fact that none of the supporting characters were in it emphasized that notion.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 35902/11/2013

So she's doing what male writers have done for decades. Look at the hot women Jerry Seinfeld was always with.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 36002/11/2013

In an interview with Judd Apatow she told him that one of the reasons she's doing all this is to surround herself with hot men.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 36102/11/2013

Seriously, r361. Both Jerry AND George. No hot women would give them the time of day in real life.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 36202/11/2013

R362 Her recent makeover will not accomplish that fact at all. at the Grammys she looked uglier than her fugly boyfriend didn't it. Her fat arms with those hideous tattoos could scare a vampire with its sheer horror! Not to mention that she is the worst dressed thing at the Grammys.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 36302/11/2013

I really liked th upside, and the scene where Hannah breaks down about always letting everyone say what they want about her when she really just wants to be happy was very honest and real.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 36402/11/2013

It's no different than what Barbra Streisand did in all her movies and what Harvey Fierstein did in Torch Song Trilogy both in the theater and on screen. Absolute wish fulfillment of the meeskite to be desired physically by a very hot man, be it Arab (Sharif), blond (Redford, O'Neal, Kerwin, etc.) or Canadian (Sarrazin).

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 36502/11/2013

Why did she never get her teeth fixed? I find them more distracting than her body.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 36602/12/2013

Whoever said her arm looked like a tattooed ham should look at her picture on Wikipedia. It's true.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 36702/13/2013

I finally saw the episode with Patrick Wilson and fast-forwarded through most of it. The guy would have to be desperate to hook up with Hannah, not simply because of her very unattractive body but also because her needy, cloying personality. Or was that the point? And I find Adam Sandler and Woody Allen being featured with hot spouses equally revolting.

I have no problem believing this kind of incident could happen to Marni or Jessa or that Joshua might hook up with Hannah in a moment of weakness but telling her she's beautiful and asking her to stay around--bitch, please.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 36802/16/2013

I knew Datalounge would erupt with fury with this Patrick Wilson episode LOL. No way would that hunk of a man go for her. A cheap booty call, maybe, but Wilson's character was ready to start dating her if she didn't have that emotional breakdown at the end of the show.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 36902/16/2013

"Lens" Dunham here.

I am a star and now and forever I am also The Voice of My Generation. I am too real for the rest of you here to handle.

You're just going to have to deal. I am here to stay.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 37002/16/2013

What does Lens mean?

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 37102/17/2013

Here's the skinny on the word Lens, R272. I know, I know, pretty clever choice of words. That's why I'm the Voice of the New Genderation. Ha! Oops I Did It Again...

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 37202/17/2013

I just watched the Patrick Wilson ep. It was a total fantasy, right? That's what I got out of it. Either way, it was probably the weakest episode yet.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 37302/19/2013

"tattooed ham"

hysterical!

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 37402/19/2013

She's on the cover of the new Rolling Stone and impossible to look at. Damn that is a very unattractive woman.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 37502/19/2013

Believe it or not, all the gay men in real life I know who have watched the show (admittedly just about five) really love it. But then again, they're urban socialite-y and/or biz types who could just be brainwashed.

I thought the Wilson ep wasn't so bad, because the overall point was made clear. Was it a revolutionary point? Not for me. But basically, R374, I think whether it was a fantasy or not, it was supposed to represent fantasy.

Mia Farrow and all her young Hollywood hipster followers critically acclaimed it and declared it a work of sheer genius on Twitter, you know.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 37602/19/2013

It was a total fantasy as there was no mention of anything in this week's episode. She was still working at the coffee shop.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 37702/19/2013

Latest pics:

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 37802/19/2013

If you want sheer genius, watch "Enlightened." Movie caliber scripts, acting and direction. It makes me unable to sit through "Girls" and that cloying cuteness.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 37902/19/2013

Wait, you people are actually complaining about tv programs showing us hot guys half dressed? Are you serious?

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 38002/19/2013

Anyone have a link to her Rolling Stone interview....I want to read about her OCD

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 38102/20/2013

I would have cast a different actor for Hannah (and probably the same for the others), but not because of Dunham's looks. She doesn't come across very effectively on camera for me.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 38202/20/2013

Haha. This is a CDAN blind, but I like to think it's one that's obvious from other sources and was ripped onto the website. The one LD wants to fire being Z. Mamet.

There were interesting comments, anyway, with one Brooklyn person saying she's heard things from production about LD being an asshole. What fun times if this is true.

Celebrities really do seem more and more like a bunch of bitches who seem likable to the public, but kiss each others asses and hate everyone else who's not as good and amazing as they are.

[quote]"This cable show is a really big hit. Big hits bring fighting. The thing is you should never fight with the boss who is also your co-star because she will hate you and you shouldn't expect to be back next season. You should kiss as much butt like the other co-stars who love being on the show despite their boss."

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 38302/21/2013

R381, I think the problem is that they not only don't keep the camera on that hot guy, but make us look at something resembling a white mudslide.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 38402/21/2013

"She's on the cover of the new Rolling Stone and impossible to look at. Damn that is a very unattractive woman."

Seeing Lens Dungham's ugly smarmy mug on the cover of Rolling Stone made me think, "Wow, the pathetic depths that one of the (formerly) most important counter culture magazines has sunk to, how sad!"

Then again, Rolling Stone magazine stopped being relevant sometime in the late 1970s-early 80s.

Dungham is simply another overly hyped nail in Rolling Stone's coffin.

I hope she fades away soon, she has to be one of the most annoying people in showbiz.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 38502/22/2013

This episode, she needed to pee and showed us her ass again. I'm waiting to see her take a shit next episode.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 38602/25/2013

Interesting about her wanting to fire Z. Mamet.

In the Entertainment Weekly interview with her recently there was some question about who she would kill off if she had to kill one of the Girls characters and Lena said Shoshanna. She explained it that she thought killing off Jessa would be too obvious.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 38702/25/2013

Last night's episode was fun despite Hannah's pulling down her panties to take a pee twice-the first time she did it we had to see her fat ass.

There was, however, a hot blond piece of twink ass named Tyler played by Jeff O'Donnell. And it's intimated in the episode that he's gay.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 38802/25/2013

"This episode, she needed to pee and showed us her ass again. I'm waiting to see her take a shit next episode."

She's tedious and has become predictable. I'm beginning to think she's in competition with her closet case artist father.

Carroll Dunham is obsessed with painting assholes and pussies from behind, most of his figures are bent over exposing themselves. LD is obsessed with inflicting her body on HBO subscribers week after week.

Must she expose herself in every episode?

btw, would a woman, taking a piss in public, face their ass outwards for the world to see? She's a terrible writer, this series gets more absurd with each new episode.

Who was the actor playing Jessa's father, another one of Lena's friends?

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 38902/26/2013

Australian actor Ben Mendelsohn

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 39002/26/2013

"Interesting about her wanting to fire Z. Mamet."

Zosia was on "Kelly & Michael" this morning, Kelly asked Zosia about being killed off on the show, Zosia said that, no, she was not being killed off.

She also mentioned that Dunham came to see her Broadway show and they did a "pinky swear" that Shosanna was not going to be killed off. Dunham sounds like such an obnoxious bitch.

Zosia's hair was blond, which she told Kelly was her natural color and she looked really cute. She's a goddess compared to Dunham, that's for sure!

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 39203/04/2013

[quote] She is full fledged retarded on Girls and her acting consists of a bunch of personality tics in search of a character.

Lol, that's perfect. And on the other hand, the other main characters are flat, but not realistically flat. Girls would be unpalatable, and not ironically so, if it were only acted by the Girls and actors who bring the same level of skill as them.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 39403/04/2013

She and this show are sooooo ripe for parody. I'm picturing a Funny or Die skit with Rachel Dratch as Lena/Hannah and Sarah Silverman as Zosia/Shoshanna.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 39503/04/2013

[R396] I agree a parody needs to be done. Lena's career will take a nose dive after Girls ends.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 39603/04/2013

I want Dunham, K. Stewart and J. Lawrence to do a remake of "9 to 5." Except I want them all to die by Dabney Coleman's hand at the end.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 39703/04/2013

A parody sketch should feature the Dunham character farting, burping, peeing on the rug and shitting in a potted plant. "Why did you allow her to be our roommate? She's not housebroken yet!"

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 39803/04/2013

When I was really little, there was this girl on my block who always wore dresses -- never pants -- and always smelled like stale pee. We wouldn't play with her. Lena Dunham reminds me of her.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 39903/04/2013

Thanks, Lena Dunham/R394, for your input.

Could SNL do justice to a Girls spoof? With Adie Bryant as Hannah, Kate McKinnon as Jessa, Cecily Strong as Shoshanna and Vanessa Bayer as Marnie?

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 40003/04/2013

It wouldn't make sense to do a parody of "Girls" on SNL, since neither John Belushi nor Chris Farley are available to play Lena Dunham.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 40103/04/2013

[quote] Hannah of course has to pee while they are waiting to be picked up and goes across the tracks and pulls her pants down and pees in full view of a startled and undoubtably disgusted couple.

In reluctant defense of Hannah, Jessa gave her the impression the coast was clear, because Jessa is a cunt. But then why didn't Hannah face forward, toward the tracks?

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 40303/05/2013

And now she has OCD. What next, pancreatic cancer?

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 40403/05/2013

Some people, believe it or not, care much more about a writer/actor's talent than whether he or she conforms to common idea of what a celebrity should look like.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 40503/05/2013

The woman was the "porn critic" of her college newspaper. That really tells you all you need to know, doesn't it?

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 40603/05/2013

I don't get the whole Ebook thing. Why in the hell would she need someone's permission to write one? The beauty of ebooks is that the author owns that shit and it never goes out of print. I did think the one guy's app idea was pretty brilliant but I think the guy who plays Ray is one of the worst actors on the show. Jessa is a cunt. I'm glad she's gone. The girl in this spoof of Lena's "audition for Zero Dark Thirty" is great.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 40703/05/2013

"Some people, believe it or not, care much more about a writer/actor's talent than whether he or she conforms to common idea of what a celebrity should look like."

That's all well and good, but Dunham doesn't have any talent as an actress let alone as director and most possibly as a script writer. Her recent 'acting' as if she had OCD, was painful, she is not believable at all as an actress. Not to mention too many people watching this show thinks she overlaps too much with her character, which is another big minus.

If this smelly looking creep truly wanted to taken seriously, she needed to hire an actual actress to play Hannah and not attempt to direct, just writing was enough. Dunham is not all that talented to do it all.

The viewers have already had it with her unsympathetic, tedious, self absorbed character and inflicting her nudity on viewers in nearly every episode.

I can't believe this dreck was picked up for another season.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 40803/05/2013

The Love It/Loathe was interesting in EW. The woman defending it with her whole, "Of course Patrick Wilson would got for a schlubby girl with tattoos! Yuppies totally love schlubby hipsters!" rang as so false. Where did this woman do her research or did she come up with that statement out of her ass?

The critic herself used the word schlubby.

I've never seen a yuppie with a schlubby hipster but I am not going to write an essay on it with no backup info.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 40903/05/2013

All this for a show that barely has 500,000 viewers during broadcast.

Seems more like a critics darling.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 41003/05/2013

I have OCD, and while I know it manifests itself differently in different people, Hannah's seemed very Lifetime movie-ish and "Here I am acting like I have OCD."

Allison Williams looked painfully thin in this episode, especially in the scene where she visits Charlie at his improbable app company.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 41203/05/2013

Re: The Patrick Wilson thing. She threw herself at him. A straight guy will fuck any woman. He might not call her the next day or tell his friends but he'll certainly fuck her. He was pretty loving to her which was sort of weird but he seemed super lonely.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 41303/05/2013

If you guys hate the show why are you watching it?

Dunham trains with Paltrow's trainer, Tracy what's her name, so it seems she's ready for a makeover.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 41403/05/2013

With all of the hype, she reminds me of the new Nia Vardalos. I watched part of the first episode and was bored and haven't watched it since. I'm definitely not a Dunham fan based on the interviews and hype though.

I predicted what R415 said about her getting a trainer on another thread and got shot down. I said that she would starve herself, probably get some plastic surgery and credit the changes in her face to the weight loss. But no, other posters swore that she was committed to being real and honest. What's next, hiring Rachel Zoe as a stylist?

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 41503/05/2013

I remember your prediction r416 and told a friend of mine who loves the show. He is a straight black dude and thinks she looks hot, I said that I bet she gets a makeover soon and loses weight, based on what you said. I believe you. I bet she gets tan and toothy too, we'll see.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 41603/05/2013

Anybody who makes the cover of EW, Interview and Rolling Stone (always the flavor of the moment magazine) at the same time has nowhere to go but down. Especially after EW's "Voice of a Generation" comment.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 41703/05/2013

Regardless of his true orientation, if an actor (James van der Beek) marries two women within seven years and has a kid with the second wife, the chances of his coming out are probably zero.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 41803/05/2013

Sorry, wrong thread.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 41903/05/2013

"That's all well and good, but Dunham doesn't have any talent as an actress let alone as director and most possibly as a script writer. Her recent 'acting' as if she had OCD, was painful, she is not believable at all as an actress. Not to mention too many people watching this show thinks she overlaps too much with her character, which is another big minus.'

That's all very well but - although I have mixed feelings about her taking on OCD, and her success in doing so - I happen to like her as an actress and especially as a writer.

Moreover, you and I seem to agree that if we want to discuss Dunham, we should be discussing her talents, rather than her appearance.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 42103/05/2013

False dichotomy unless you're talking about her talent as a writer or director. Appearance is a key component of performance not to mention a basis for forming impressions about people.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 42203/05/2013

I love this show!

And I love how the people who HATE this show clearly watch every episode

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 42303/05/2013

And Liz is fuckin around on Max?!? Oh shit!

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 42403/05/2013

I think Lena looked pretty, except for the damn tattoos. Good grief!

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 42503/05/2013

The show works when all the players are involved. I really like Charlie and starting to like Adam. The girls put both guys through hell but as another door closed a better one opened. They're a little bit more likable than the girls. I can't stand Jessa or Hanna. Any episode with those two makes me barf.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 42603/06/2013

[quote]It wouldn't make sense to do a parody of "Girls" on SNL, since neither John Belushi nor Chris Farley are available to play Lena Dunham..

I'm available. Because, lets face it, you loved my CAAAAROL! as much as you love Dunham.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 42703/06/2013

[quote] I said that I bet she gets a makeover soon and loses weight, based on what you said.

First the trainer, now the Cover Girl contract, she really is trying to be glamorous now.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 42803/06/2013

I have HBOGo and figured I'd give "Girls" a shot. I made it through 15 minutes of the first episode before I had to call it quits. As a matter of fact, the only remotely entertaining thing about that steaming pile of shit is the fact that Peter Scolari plays Hanna's dad. Does it get better as the series progresses?

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 42903/06/2013

So this is the haterz thread then.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 43003/06/2013

[quote] if we want to discuss Dunham, we should be discussing her talents, rather than her appearance.

Sorry, but HBO shows about young women are also all about fashion. Dunham's become a fashion trendsetter, like SJP before her, and her appearance matters.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 43203/06/2013

R433, you're delusional.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 43303/06/2013

ITA @ R433. Also, if her appearance is something to be ignored, why is she always shoving it in everyone's face? Her exhibitionism is way OTT. It's very clear that Lena Dunham wants to be seen MUCH more than she wants to be heard.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 43403/06/2013

[quote] [R433], you're delusional.

In what way? Her outfits both on and off the show are the subject of constant stories on celebrity and fashion websites. And she herself insists that you look at her appearance.

[italic] “But I didn’t go out without pants! I had shorts on. If Olivia Wilde had gone to a party in ... little shorts, she might have been on a 'weird-dressed list' or been told her outfit was cute. I don’t think a girl with tiny thighs would have received such no-pants attention. I think what it really was ... 'Why did you all make us look at your thighs?'

"My response is, get used to it because I am going to live to be 100, and I am going to show my thighs every day till I die." [/italic]

Lena Dunham's appearance is important to her and she wants you to notice.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 43503/06/2013

R433, her stance and her statement has nothing to do with "fashion" or wanting to be a "fashion icon", and if you're too dense to get that, then I understand your position.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 43603/06/2013

Uh, the only comments I've seen from real women regarding her clothes are "why does she dress like a toddler who's parented by the mentally ill"?

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 43703/06/2013

Lena Dunham is working on an HBO show based on the fashion memoir of Betty HalbreIch

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 43803/06/2013

What is her stance, R437? To be as "shocking" as possible (zzzzzz-Madonna played that out decades ago)? Is she a new breed of angry feminist who wants to force people to acknowledge, accept and embrace her "real" body and crude exhibitionism?

I don't want to look at her lumpy 100 year old thighs...and so I won't. There is nothing to "get used to." No one else will want to look at them either, so I can't imagine what sort of outsized ego it must take for LD to assume she will continue to even have a platform to exhibit her hideousness.

She is a typical performance "artist." They are all narcissistic attention whores who will do ANYTHING to get people to acknowledge and affirm them. Indifference is like kryptonite to them. Attention is their drug. They can not stand to be ignored and will continue to raise the stakes to feed their narcissism.

What's next? On the next episode will Hannah pull out her bloody tampon and show it in close up?

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 43903/06/2013

Lena Dunham Announces 'Girls' Nail Polish Collection Inspired by the Show's Female Characters

The creator-director-star of HBO's buzzed-about series, Girls, Lena Dunham, has teamed up with Deborah Lippmann on a collection inspired by the series' four female characters.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 44003/06/2013

So why do you keep talking about her, R440?

I watch the show every week and you people that claim to HATE Lena know way more about her than I do. It's really obnoxious, to be honest.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 44103/06/2013

I think it's interesting how most people on this thread just can't get past Lena Dunham's body shape. She's too fat to pull Patrick Wilson, she's too fat to have OCD, etc. it's like you really believe someone should just sit on the sidelines because they're not a swimsuit model.

Btw, Girls is a comedy. A lot of you seem to miss that, no surprise.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 44203/06/2013

Most of the comments here could be summed up as "I refuse to engage in this successful fat girl's show. (She has no right to be more successful than me. I'm fat, why can't I be as successful as Lens Dunham?)"

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 44303/06/2013

Dunham likes to throw her body at the screen. Imagine if Roseanne had insisted on showing us her boobs and ass every week?

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 44403/06/2013

Funny how fangurls can't seem to engage in any sort of critical debate without throwing out accusations of jealousy.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 44503/06/2013

R446, I don't think it's jealousy. But I don't understand it. Maybe because I'm secure in my body image, I don't know, but I just don't give a fuck what Lena Dunham looks like. I enjoy the show. I have zero reaction to her nudity. She's changing her clothes, she takes her shirt off, she's naked. Does not have any impact on my enjoyment of the show.

Why would it? I think that's why people jump to the conclusion that the people complaining have body issues, because why else would you give a fuck? It's a human body, big deal!

My confusion is that you guys know so much about Lena, yet claim to hate her. Why do you know so much about her? I'm 23 and pretty tuned in, and outside of watching the show, I couldn't tell you a thing about her. So why do these people who think she's trash and hideous, keep so informed?

Why are there all of these posts akin to "Lena Pigham just HAD to show her saggy cow tits on Girls again this week! She's so hideous!" Why are these people watching every week?

It's either A. They're so miserable and sadistic that they force themselves to watch things they find hideous or B. they actually like the show but societal influence compels them to publicly despise it.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 44603/06/2013

I watched several episodes of Girls and was surprised to hear it's a comedy. I didn't laugh. I was just annoyed at how unrealistic the show is. I know a bunch of young people who live in Brooklyn and they're nothing like this crew.

But SatC was nothing like my real life as a young person in manhattan. I didn't like that show either. I suppose if you live the reality, you're not interested in the fantasy.

The young people I know in Brooklyn watch the show to see familiar landscape shots. They did the same for that awful Jason Schwartzman show.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 44703/06/2013

It's not her body that bothers me, it's the fact that she wrote lines like "You look hot!" "You're so fucking beautiful" for EVERY SINGLE EPISODE. This week's was the only exception. I half expected her therapist to hit on her. It reminds me of Kevin Smith's homely wife getting told she's hot in every movie. No, Kevin, she's not.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 44803/06/2013

[quote] It reminds me of Kevin Smith's homely wife getting told she's hot in every movie. No, Kevin, she's not.

Their spawn is so homely. But she's rich, so she'll grow up thinking she's hot.

It's better to be rich and homely and connected to the entertainment industry than to be poor and homely and unconnected.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 44903/06/2013

Lena is infringing on male privilege, that's why the queens are losing their shit.

Only homely men are allowed to bag one supermodel after another. When a homely woman does it, that just goes against "nature".

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 45003/06/2013

No it's the adoration of her beauty. That she writes. I don't think Woody Allen ever made hislading ladies praise his looks.k

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 45103/06/2013

In the first episode I cracked up when Allison Williams' character calls Lena Dunham's pretty.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 45203/06/2013

Why do you assume it's just "queens" who are repulsed by her, R451? She offends everyone equally.

And, no, homely men are NOT allowed to "bag" supermodels. Everyone mocks them for purchasing their gold digging whores. Woody Allen is reviled.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 45303/06/2013

[quote]She offends everyone equally.

She certainly doesn't offend me. And not to be rude, but you're really creepy

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 45403/06/2013

I'm glad I dropped HBO for the PORN channel.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 45503/06/2013

I can understand women working to erode male privilege, but they really want Lena being the main spokesperson for that?

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 45603/06/2013

[r454]: virtually every move and TV show has a homely fat man getting a hot love interest. Somehow, people don't go off the deep end when that happens.

I mean, Sofia Vergara & Ed O'Neill? On what fucking planet?

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 45703/07/2013

When you see an ugly man and a beautiful woman, you assume the man has money. When you see a handsome man and an ugly woman, you assume the woman has money and the man has issues of his own. When you see Lena Dunham pursued by men, you remember it's her production.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 45803/08/2013

"Vogue Goes Behind the Scenes with the Girls Cast." Looking as good as you're ever likely to see them, including a professionally styled and made-up Lena.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 45903/08/2013

'It's not her body that bothers me, it's the fact that she wrote lines like "You look hot!" "You're so fucking beautiful" for EVERY SINGLE EPISODE.'

So she's the new Joan Crawford?

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 46003/08/2013

let me know when she's dead

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 46103/08/2013

I'm not usually religious R462, but I just prayed you go first.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 46203/08/2013

What's the name of the trash she's fucking?

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 46303/09/2013

I have been watching her show after Real Time and I just don't get it. Nothing seems to happen, but not in a good way, like on Seinfeld. Just boring stuff. And no young woman would deliberately dress as disturbingly frumpy as Dunham's character.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 46403/10/2013

The episode where she goes to meet Jessa's parents and then the final 3 minutes of the episode is about her having a UTI was just filler because the original script was too short and she felt like trolling her haters right?

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 46503/10/2013

Ok...just spin Adam off into his own show and kill the rest of the cast with tainted black tar heroin. Enough!

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 46603/11/2013

100% agree with R467.. Last night's episode with Adam was disturbing, but well acted..

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 46703/11/2013

What was the point of the splinter in her thigh?

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 46803/11/2013

I love the whole "Lens Dunham" moniker on Datalounge. I find it hilarious.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 46903/11/2013

[quote]What was the point of the splinter in her thigh?

It gave her an excuse to break out the Q-Tips.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 47003/11/2013

Now I can't find the link someone forwarded to me, but in the ill-fated pilot for an American version of AbFab starring Kathryn Hahn and Kristen Johnston, the "Saffy" was played by our very own Zosia Mamet.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 47103/11/2013

I was going to say this was the first time we've seen semen on TV, but then I remembered an episode of "Game of Thrones" last year in which Petyr Baelis wiped the cum off the face of one of his prostitutes who we'd just seen giving a blow job.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 47203/11/2013

Man...Marmie's bf is pretty. He looks like Sal Mineo. Can Adam come on his chest?

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 47303/11/2013

So, did Lens show her flapping labia in this week's episode?

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 47403/11/2013

I don't think people who say that Hannah's character is constantly getting called "beautiful" is actually watching the show. When it's said to Hannah, it's either said condescendingly (by her friends who have no other choice), desperately (Patrick Wilson who was lonely and sad) or by utter weirdos. Even her father, when Hannah says sarcastically that she might have anorexia, "oh Hannah you don't have that. I've seen you in a bikini".

It's so odd. She's not considered attractive at all on the show. Marney is. Jessa is. Not Hannah, even when she's having sex. The Adam Driver character basically used her for the first season.

I really don't get that particular criticism. She doesn't write herself as beautiful. At all.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 47503/12/2013

Jessa looks like she smells of patchouli and pussy.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 47603/12/2013

R476 actually gets it.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 47703/12/2013

What does Lena mean by her latest tweet? I mean, I know who Judy Blume is, and I know the basics about Diane Lane. But still:

[quote]Are you there G-d? It's me, Lena. Just touching base to make sure you do only great things for Diane Lane.

In fact, it's hard to tell whether most of her tweets are sarcastic or literal. Such as:

[quote]In regards to the latest episode of Nashville, I love any sex scene where a guy removing his vest is a part of the process.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 47803/13/2013

R479, you have seen the posts here from 'Diane Lane's bag of frozen peas', right? So Dunham would have heard the same rumours and would be wishing Lane well for that reason.

Also, I would very much guess that she is NOT being ironic with that last quote, just being playful.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 47903/13/2013

[quote]I love the whole "Lens Dunham" moniker on Datalounge. I find it hilarious.

Can you explain what's so hilarious about this? What does Lens mean? Why is it funny?

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 48003/13/2013

"Lens" was a inadvertent typo that took on a life its own on DL. One person's mistake became a running DL joke.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 48103/13/2013

But why is a typo hilarious?

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 48203/13/2013

The Lens person is probably also the person trying to make creme brûlée happen. Neither is funny.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 48303/13/2013

[quote]Also, I would very much guess that she is NOT being ironic with that last quote, just being playful.

But it's hard to tell, because I thought the Nashville sex scene vest removal was funny and awkward.

Also, not everything in Diane Lane's life is bad...

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 48403/13/2013

Maybe Diane Lane doesn't appreciate being "pitied" by some nobody upstart.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 48503/13/2013

I just NOW realized that's Hedwig!

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 48603/13/2013

Foreign Policy thinks Patrick Wilson would go for Lena, haterz!

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 48703/14/2013

NEW YORK—According to numerous critics’ reports, an upcoming episode of HBO’s hit comedy Girls features the show’s star, Lena Dunham, losing control of her bowels during a routine gynecological exam while eating a large burrito.

“The scene is raw, it’s brave, and it’s the boldest thing we’ve seen Dunham do yet: a smart, unsanitized comedy of errors that perfectly captures the experience of being at the ob-gyn,” said Huffington Post television critic Kia Makarechi of the envelope-pushing episode, wherein the burrito-eating Dunham elects to be examined completely nude because hospital gowns make her “feel like she’s dying of bone cancer or something” and awkwardly flirts with the 55-year-old gynecologist before violently shitting herself and then asking if the doctor can prescribe her anything for her anxiety.

“When a naked Hannah dribbled hot sauce all over herself in front of the doctor, shit in every corner of the office, cried, became angry with the doctor, had sex with the doctor, finished her burrito, had sex with the doctor again, shit herself again, and then realized who she was really angry at and sexually attracted to was Adam, I just closed my eyes and said, ‘Thank you.’ These are real girls with real bodies doing things that real girls do.”

At press time, fans were abuzz after a tweet from Dunham hinted at an all-nude third season.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 48803/14/2013

God, I love The Onion. I don't think they ever miss.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 48903/14/2013

that is hilarious.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 49003/14/2013

R490, I would say that The Onion missed once recently big-time: tweeting that Quvenzhané Wallis was a cunt. A tweet which showed up during the Oscar telecast. That was just gross and uncalled for.

Generally, I agree, though. They're pretty much always spot-on. And this "Girls" article is priceless.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 49103/14/2013

I love Girls and have been an ardent supporter of Dunham on these threads, but that Onion article was hysterical. Especially because, for one second, I actually believed it.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 49203/14/2013

Lena Dunham reminds me a bit of Kristen Stewart. Both inspire vitriol and adulation. Not comparing their physical appearance, but their clothes and public attitude. I think I gut react with anger at them both because it seems as though they are giving a big fuck you to the world, including me. Its seems both go out of their way to appear unkempt and disrespectful on some basic level that implies huge entitlement issues that neither has earned.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 49303/14/2013

Why would they have "entitlement issues" because of that? Johnny Depp looks like 3 day old road kill and doesn't elicit any outrage at all. Oh yeah, that's right, cause he's a man, and we don't boss men the way we wanna boss women, do we?

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 49403/14/2013

You're seriously comparing Johnny Depp to Kristen Stewart and Lena Dunham? Allll righttyyy

P.S. JD has been criticized here for his appearance.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 49503/14/2013

The Onion article made me laugh so hard I shit myself.

While eating a burrito.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 49603/14/2013

I like Lena in interviews but the fact remains that Girls really is awful this season and is only watchable in a Smash kind of way. It's thrilling to see just how much worse a train wreak can become even after everyone has died. The only thing left for her character to do is to recreate the prom scene from Carrie and obliterate all of Greenpoint while wearing toddler rompers and scratching her ass.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 49703/15/2013

[quote] But why is a typo hilarious?

This is historically a point of amusement for DL threads.

See "cak and graxy" or "why are straight me so stupid?"

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 49803/16/2013

[quote]I like Lena in interviews but the fact remains that Girls really is awful this season

Your opinions are not fact.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 49903/16/2013

I agree, R498. I was a big booster of Lena and the show after Season 1 but this season has been damn near unwatchable at times.

I noticed that the most contrived and horribly acted episodes were all directed by Jesse Peretz.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 50003/16/2013

Lena sure has a preoccupation with pee pee and poo poo.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 50103/17/2013

I just finished Season 1 and I must say it's no "Sex In The City" (which is what she fantasized it becoming). None of the characters is likable. In fact they range from retarded to psychotic. All mixed up in an ugly way. She should have called it "Autistic Girls".

Her character (which is actually Lena herself) is always saying things like, "I don't understand what you're saying!". In fact, all the characters are just pieces of her, because she would be unable to care about anyone in the world besides Lena.

I think she worked closely with Judd Apatow to create a series that shows you can get laid even if you have Aspergers (in every interview he wonders why his pretty blonde wife even wants his doofus self, and he feels so fortunate). Erm, maybe cuz you put her in movies?

If this is what "girls" are like, I'm glad I'm a cocksucker.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 50203/17/2013

Season 2 is even worse, where her character suddenly becomes OCD out of nowhere, exposing Lena Dunham's limits as an actor.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 50303/17/2013

Okay, I have been an ardent supporter of Lena and Girls. I still think it's ridiculous to hate her because she's not a size 4 and isn't hot. And I loved the first season of Girls and the first half of the second season. I do think she was able to capture a very particular type of person plodding awkwardly through their 20s in today's climate.

But the last two episodes have been truly horrible. Hannah's OCD is utterly ridiculous and painfully amateur to watch, both as written and as acted. Lena isn't an actress (neither is Tina Fey, but Tina Fey never made a misstep this bad). Having a few episodes with Mamet's character highlighted has only served to highlight what an annoying character she is. Marnie's singing "career" came out of nowhere and makes no sense. And Jessa, my personal favorite character, is now gone. Honestly, they should just have the show be about Adam and Marnie's ex. Both are complex, interesting, and well acted. Maybe Lena writes men better than women?

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 50403/17/2013

"I do think she was able to capture a very particular type of person plodding awkwardly through their 20s in today's climate."

In interview after interview she intimates that she's trying to capture the zeitgeist of people in her age group- a "voice of her generation" (the Millenials?). I'm sure that's how they sold it to HBO.

But all she knows is her privileged, well-educated background and spoiled artsy Brooklyn cronies living off their parents.

It's interesting in the way a car accident is, or like finding mold growing in your microwave.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 50503/17/2013

Yet R506 watches very episode.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 50603/17/2013

R506, I said a "very particular" type of person. Basically a person who wants fame in the arts, knows they will never have the life their parents had (ie a nice middle class existence with a nice middle class job) because that life is fast disappearing, is obsessed with pop culture and the Internet age, moves to NYC or LA to find like minded people, uses sex as the main substitute for life experience, and has either overt or hidden anxiety about the next fifty years of living. I'm just out of my 20s and I know TONS of people who fit that bill perfectly. That's what I loved initially about Girls. She got that dead on perfect.

But if that's not the sort of people who interact with, I get that Girls would seem off putting. I've always contended it's a niche show written by and for a niche audience.

I'm not surprised at all that middle aged gay men don't like it. And I don't say that smugly.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 50703/17/2013

WTF!? Adam racing shirtless to save Hannah from OCDing was ridiculous.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 50803/18/2013

I just watched it R509 and I was laughing and rolling my eyes. I think I might've sprained one. I seriously can't believe they let her write and direct that scene.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 50903/18/2013

Creepy ass ending. Yecch

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 51003/19/2013

This may be a minority opinion but I think the characters on 'Girls' are more likable than the Sex and the City women. Or at least more realistic. I don't think we're supposed to admire the Girls characters. We're supposed to see them as lazy, bitchy, self involved, selfish, sometimes immoral but I think they are all drawn pretty realistically for that very specific niche demographic.

The Sex and the City women were spoiled, selfish, and self involved as well, but that's now how the show saw them. I saw Carrie as a selfish, annoying cunt, but I don't think the writers actually did that on purpose. Carrie was the aspiration for lots of women in their 20s and 30s and I found THAT scary.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 51103/19/2013

How in the world did Adam break through a Segal lock, a chain, and a deadbolt to get into Hannah's apartment? Come on!

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 51203/19/2013

Agree with r512. SATC started out sorta realistic, but quickly delved into materialistic claptrap.

I hated the whole $750 show culture they started

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 51303/19/2013

*shoe culture

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 51403/19/2013

Sex And The City became unwatchable after a few seasons. Giels got there after just one.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 51503/19/2013

I like the show, but Adam racing to save Hannah from counting head tics while yelling at her to "stay there" on FaceTime seemed like a parody or something. Very weird moment.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 51603/19/2013

[quote]Her character (which is actually Lena herself) is always saying things like, "I don't understand what you're saying!".

Um, yeah, but she wrote the other characters as well, meaning Lena obviously understands what they are saying, but she makes fun of her stand in not getting much. Most of those scenes are hilarious.

The main reason Girls is so great, is probably that she is making fun of herself, unlike other comedies that try to invent out there whack characters that don't ring true, like the SatC shrews. (I have not seen most of season 2 yet, I can't speak for the latest developments)

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 51703/19/2013

I've only seen Season 1, but so far the show is hilarious. It's a comedy of manners for millennials, a younger, more explicit "Seinfeld" or "Curb Your Enthusiasm." The characters are not supposed to be likable or self-aware. They're supposed to be needy, whiny, narcissistic, self-absorbed, and self-involved. The show perfectly captures that embarrassing stage most teens and twenty-somethings go through, but in a very specific time period and corner of the world - the awkwardness of young people who have too much self-confidence but no self-esteem to go with it.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 51803/19/2013

#519 = hi Lena!

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 51903/19/2013

The race to Lena's house was straight out of Molly Ringwald land if Molly Ringwald had OCD and a boyfriend who was into brutalizing her.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 52003/19/2013

The rest of us would say, r492, that you are a moron with a persecution complex.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 52103/19/2013

Shut up, R520.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 52203/19/2013

The season finale was horrible, but a master class by Dunham on terrible acting.

And don't you have to be connected to a WiFi network to do FaceTime?

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 52303/19/2013

R519...Hold off on that opinion til you see Season 2.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 52403/20/2013

Season 2 was great until the OCD shit started.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 52503/20/2013

Now was the OCD triggered by her breakup with Adam, the pressure of writing her e-book or the fact that she knew that the cosmos let out a huge "eeeeeewwwww" when she had sex with Patrick Wilson?

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 52603/20/2013

There is so much vapid shit on TV and yet people decide to pick on a show that is actually creative, smart and honest. The characters are deeply flawed, but the notion that all characters need to be lovable to be worth watching is ridiculous.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 52703/20/2013

It's not just the fact that the characters are "unlovable" it's the facts that the show is badly written, horribly acted (except for the males) and is being given the biggest tongue bath by the critics in recent memory. I like Dunham in interviews. I think she is very smart, has cultural reference points that extend back beyond Lady Gaga and can construct intelligent and witty dialogue and plots. However all her intelligence and wit and talent can't overshadow the fact that this season went completely off the rails.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 52803/20/2013

Maybe she needs to go back to writing every episode like she did in season 1.

I did like season 2, minus the last two episodes, but Lena didn't have as big of a role writing this season as she did the last.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 52903/20/2013

I totally agree with R529. I really like Lena, both as a personality in the media and as a writer. She's smart, fearless, funny. I find her awkwardness refreshing and her candidness exciting. I still hope Girls rebounds, but I have to call it like I see it: the last half of season 2 was painfully bad. And not because of any nudity or Hannah hate (I love Hannah). It was just poorly written and poorly acted.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 53003/20/2013

Did her UTI clear up?

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 53103/20/2013

I keep hearing the guys are good actors. No, you only think that because they're weird looking. Ray is one of the worst actors on television.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 53203/20/2013

I wish they'd have Patrick Wilson on again.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 53303/20/2013

I don't get the pass the guys get on being homely, especially from gay men. The hypocrisy is startling.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 53403/20/2013

Marnie's bf is great looking esp now that he's dressing for success. Adam is ugly/sexy and the third one...who cares?

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 53503/20/2013

R535 goes through life screaming "IT'S NOT FAIIIIR!"

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 53603/20/2013

I loved Hannah's voice mail message to Jessa.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 53703/20/2013

People like R503 are just too stupid to live.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 53803/20/2013

I don't understand people who demand we stop watching it if we don't like it. It's called hate viewing. Like rubbernecking a car accident. You have to see it because everyone else is looking at it. But with this show, you get to make fun of the horrible writing and acting as well as viewing the wreck.

There was this little girl on my block who always wore dresses. She would flip the skirt part up and show her panties to everybody. I mean everybody. She also smelled like pee. Lena Dunham reminds me of her, all grown up.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 53903/22/2013

[quote]I don't get the pass the guys get on being homely, especially from gay men.

Adam Driver could get it.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 54003/22/2013

I just got HBO and watched season 2 episode 1. Her face and body are so ugly, I can't believe she puts herself out there in nude scenes. How does somebody like that get her own show?

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 54103/24/2013

"How does somebody like that get her own show?"

Just like somebody as ugly as Woody Allen got to make his first movie.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 54203/24/2013

Their isn't even any eye candy on this show, the men are all fug

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 54303/24/2013

I don't know what kind of expectations you people have for a 30 minute show. Like William Hurt says in The Big Chill, sometimes you just have to let art flow over you. Sounds like a lot of you have difficulty engaging with dramas that don't completely reflect your idea of who you are.

Lena Dunham is a compelling voice who has obviously completely challenged people's perceptions of young women, sex and, in a sense, her generation. What's funny is that until she came along most of you thought fat girls never got laid. The haterz clearly have problems of their own.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 54403/24/2013

How can her show have gone "off the rails"? Where is it exactly you think this show is supposed to go? She's allowed to take risks.

My guess is you'll all be watching the Season 3 premiere with bated breath.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 54503/24/2013

R546, the people who complain watch every episode. They love it, they just hate themselves for it.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 54603/24/2013

Jesus, that guy who plays Ray. Ugh. How does someone who looks like that have any kind of career in front of the camera? Unappealing doesn't even begin to describe it.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 54703/24/2013

[quote]What's funny is that until she came along most of you thought fat girls never got laid.

Which, even if this were true, is proof that her material is of dire, revolutionary significance.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 54803/24/2013

[quote]Their isn't even any eye candy on this show, the men are all fug

Really?

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 54903/24/2013

Charlie is so fucking HOT, R550.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 55003/24/2013

Ha ha, ABC's Nightline just called Lena Dunham fat. They did a story about a gym that only accepts members who are 50lbs overweight. They said the gym was needed because of how fat people are treated in society and even in the media fat women are treated negatively, like Melissa McCarthy, Lena Dunham, and Honey Boo Boo's mom.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 55103/24/2013

This is why you all need to listen to Tom Leykis at:

www.blowmeuptom.com

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 55203/27/2013

Tom Leykis is a total creep. Couldn't understand his seething hatred of women until I saw his face. And wig. Lena Dunham is the waste product of nepotism, however.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 55303/27/2013

Lena Dunham is fucking POOR LESBIANS

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 55403/27/2013

How the fuck did this thread get to 555 posts? Isn't that some Satanic number in numerology or something?! All about a ham hocked armed,fugly and an annoying and entitled cunt.Not to mention no talented as well.How long is it until Girls gets canned on HBO?

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 55503/27/2013

Girls is Sex and the City for 20-somethings. Well, 20-somethings that are twenty pounds overweight and already look like their great aunts.

Lena Dunham just made Sarah Jessica Parker "the cute one". Amazing how far our standards have fallen. I blame Facebook -- every self-important twat in the world now thinks that she matters, she really, really matters. Lena "dumptruck" Dunham represents the (ugly, aimless, fat) Me generation so well.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 55603/27/2013

Girls is one of 39 recipients of a Peabody Award honoring the best in electronic media for 2012. Other entertainment winners include Louie, Southland, and Doctor Who.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 55703/27/2013

Watching Season 1 on free HBO.

Brilliant!

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 55803/28/2013

[quote]My guess is you'll all be watching the Season 3 premiere with bated breath.

Is that the episode where she has explosive diarrhea all over her gynecologist while eating a burrito during her examination?

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 55903/29/2013

I'm looking forward to the episode where she spends a week with Jon Hamm and he tells her how beautiful she is.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 56004/07/2013

[quote]"How does somebody like that get her own show?"

[quote]Just like somebody as ugly as Woody Allen got to make his first movie.

No, R543, Woody Allen spent years as a successful comedy writer on television, a successful published author, a successful Broadway playwright and as a successful stand-up comedian before he got the opportunity to make a movie.

In other words - your comparison is complete and total bullshit. t

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 56104/07/2013

The worst kind of nepotism/despotism put her on our radar. She is one of the idiot no talent rich kids, who has risen fast, and spread wide(pun welcome but not intended) due to Nick Kroll's grand show biz schemes. He has the ability to engage hungry freelancers and/or Kroll employee journalists to make it seem as if these wannabes are the real deal. Supposedly legit publications, and front publications(Hairpin, Splitsider, Brooklyn Vegan etc) are engaged to keep dropping little articles that lend legitimaacy. Awards are bought off. i.e Lake Bell wins the Sundance screenwriting award despite the script's alleged lousiness.

Nick Kroll even hosts the Gotham Independent Film Awards, and wins major comedy awards. What few know is that his family donates massive funds to these entities and they then return the favor. LACMA, Paley Center, NPR... all pretend to find Kroll the biggest comic genius of our time.

Keep an eye out for the continued( yet baffling,) successes of Lake Bell, Dunham, Tig Notaro, and anyone who Nick Kroll has decided to "shmooze," as a means to have a long career in comedy(sans talent, looks etc.)

This is a case of the one percenters taking over the humor business by fiat or coup or whatever...

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 56202/24/2014

Fat,ugly & not talented. She will continue to do well, because of nepotism.

If you think she's bad, I can't wait to see what will be written about Magic Johnson's son...fat little entitled queen does everything short of burst into flame on screen. No talent, nothing to offer, just on a show about how lovely it is to be a rich guy's gay son.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 56302/24/2014

She is a pig

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 56412/09/2014

Lena Dunham is as ugly as she is crazy as she is stupid.

by Waddle, waddle, waddlereply 56505/09/2015
Need more help? Click Here.