Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Reaction To Jodi's Coming Out Speech

"The fact that Jodie Foster's "coming out speech" is the top trending article on Yahoo is the most self-defeating thing I've ever seen. I'm not sure if anyone in hollywood, or the world over knows this, but YOU ARE MORE THAN YOUR SEXUALITY, AND IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE ANYONE'S BUSINESS."

What is this 'it's nobody's business' crap these idiots always spew? They always love to downplay a person's sexuality, and why should they say anything, which in reality means, 'shut up about it. It's yucky, and makes everyone uncomfortable.'

Anyway. I know DL is passionate about this subject.

by Anonymousreply 2701/17/2013

And the irony is that she is still not considered officially out! She didn't actually say "I am gay".

by Anonymousreply 101/14/2013

I was close, I thought she was a vegetarian. I was only one letter off.

by Anonymousreply 201/14/2013

Look at the way The Associated Press reports it:

[quote]Jodie Foster came out without really coming out

by Anonymousreply 301/14/2013

She came out. . . As fabulicious!

by Anonymousreply 401/14/2013

Yes you do, R5. Until you officially say "I am gay" you are not officially gay. The media will not refer to a celebrity as gay until they do so.

David Ehrenstein explains this in his book "Open Secret - The History of Gay Hollywood".

by Anonymousreply 601/14/2013

There's already a thread about this on the front page of DL with more than 70 posts.

by Anonymousreply 701/14/2013

They have both officially come out by using almost identical language to that, R8

by Anonymousreply 901/14/2013

Jim Parsons did a New York Times Interview last summer where he said he was gay and had a partner for 10 years.

by Anonymousreply 1001/14/2013

Exactly, R10. Totally different situation than Jodie's evasive speech.

by Anonymousreply 1101/14/2013

[quote]David Ehrenstein explains this in his book "Open Secret - The History of Gay Hollywood".

So, it isn't the media or fans but DE's criteria from almost 15 years ago?

by Anonymousreply 1201/14/2013

Jodie's speech was evasive and bizare. Did she come out? Did she retire? Who knows?

by Anonymousreply 1301/14/2013

What are the comments on Yahoo like?

by Anonymousreply 1401/14/2013

Only 36 comments. Most along the lines of "who cares/knew anyway."

by Anonymousreply 1501/14/2013

"And you guys might be surprised, but I am not Honey Boo Boo Child."

That's just fucking graceless, and mean.

by Anonymousreply 1601/14/2013

She was terrified, I'm surprised she got through it at all.

And I think it's "Jodie" OP.

by Anonymousreply 1701/14/2013

You'd have to be an idiot to not know that the speech was about her coming out.

She seemed nervous but she's very funny as well. Who knew?

Is it just me or is the editing of the Golden Globes terrible? They just kept cutting to random people and holding on them for ages during her speech - who gives a fuck what Amanda Seyfried was doing during the speech?

by Anonymousreply 1901/14/2013

I'm out everywhere except where I work. They likely think I am but until I actually tell them it's none of their business.

I don't need for them to know.

by Anonymousreply 2001/14/2013

I really hate it when people say, "Why does everyone need to know that she sleeps with women? I don't understand it!" I am acquainted with an old queen who's been with a guy for 20 years. He once exclaimed, "I don't see why people need to come out, it's nobody's business who anyone is having sex with!" I replied, "So the guy you've been with for the last 20 years, he's just some guy you have sex with, huh?"

by Anonymousreply 2101/14/2013

It'll never be equal because straight people don't have to come out.

What was she saying when NBC cut the sound?

by Anonymousreply 2301/14/2013

Interesting that she would compare herself to Honey Boo Boo, another 3-year old being exploited by adults in front of a camera.

The other thing that struck me was her saying, "now maybe I won't be so lonely".

With that and the weird stuffed hamsters from Mel Gibson...this kid has a hard row to hoe.

by Anonymousreply 2401/14/2013

by Anonymousreply 2501/14/2013

Jodie has always just wanted to live her life without all the announcing stuff. Like she said she told everyone years ago that mattered. No shit She is gay and didn't make it a big deal. Not everyone wants to make some big announcement when something is so obvious.

by Anonymousreply 2601/17/2013

She avoided making the announcement because it would confirm in everyone's mind that she's crazy and mean. Not everyone coming out is an asset to the community, and JF may be proof that some people shouldn't ever come out: Serial killers, Republicans, Bank Robbers, Pedophiles, preachers, CEO's and Nutjob Actresses.

Jodie also sounded like her Mom wouldn't understand. Really? 50 years old and you care what your mother thinks? Even though apparently she can't even recognize you? I daresay Jodie's older boy looked ever so much more mature than Ms. Foster with her embarrassing "wolf whistle" demand.

Notice not one "reporter" has bothered to get Cydney Bernard's take on everything.

by Anonymousreply 2701/17/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!