Nice speech.

by Anonymousreply 501/13/2013

LOL R4!

by Anonymousreply 601/13/2013

She was drunk off her ass.

by Anonymousreply 701/13/2013

What did they edit out and why?

by Anonymousreply 801/13/2013

since it was edited out, we don't know what she said...I'm sure it will be revealed by tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 901/13/2013

Shit. I'm bawling my eyes out over Jody's speech. Her sons look so proud of her. Good for her.

by Anonymousreply 1001/13/2013

Mel looked horrified when she came out.

by Anonymousreply 1101/13/2013

Oh! So did the sound disappeear for everyone then? Towards the beginning of her speech?

by Anonymousreply 1201/13/2013

Yes, it did, R12.

by Anonymousreply 1301/13/2013

the sound disappeared when she started talking about coming out. NBC= chicken shit.

by Anonymousreply 1401/13/2013

"I’m just going to put it out there. Loud and proud. I am single. Yes I am… [Expecting] what would be a big coming out speech tonight? I already did my coming out a thousand years ago back in the Stone Age. Those very quaint days when a fragile young girl would open up to trusted friends and family and co-workers… But now apparently I’m told that every celebrity is expected to honor the detailsof their private life with a press conference, a fragrance, and a primetime reality show.”

by Anonymousreply 1501/13/2013

I don't think it was intentional, R14.

by Anonymousreply 1601/13/2013

Good for her. Of course she's getting nothing but shit over on the L Chat. Bitter bitches.

by Anonymousreply 1701/13/2013

JODIE FOSTER! The first A-list Hollywood superstar. History has been made tonight. Thank you, God!

George Clooney, Bradley Cooper, Jamie Foxx, and all the others (you know who you are!) looked shocked...and extremely proud of her.

by Anonymousreply 1801/13/2013

Did she suggest that she was retiring?

by Anonymousreply 1901/13/2013

No, she's not retiring. She's probably be directing more, but she gets more $$$ from acting.

by Anonymousreply 2001/13/2013

I hate it when celebrities pretend that staying in the closet is just about privacy. She almost sounded bitter about it, like she was being forced out of the closet.

by Anonymousreply 2101/13/2013

Sorry, but this isn't news. No one on the planet thought she was straight, and most people don't care it's not like she's a well-loved celeb.

by Anonymousreply 2201/13/2013

Spell her name right.

by Anonymousreply 2301/13/2013

It sounds to me like she was saying she was already "out," she just never held a press conference (or had a reality show) as a platform to announce it to the public. She wants privacy. She wants to keep her private life private.

by Anonymousreply 2401/13/2013

Still waiting for a star to come out in their prime.

by Anonymousreply 2501/13/2013

The sound wasn't intentional, there were several sound fuck ups during the show.

by Anonymousreply 2601/13/2013

The most joyless coming out ever.

by Anonymousreply 2701/13/2013

R25 must have missed the news about Matt Bomer and Jim Parsons. Or were you talking about only movie stars?

by Anonymousreply 2901/13/2013

[quote]The sound wasn't intentional, there were several sound fuck ups during the show.

Try to explain that to lezbos. They'll be munching on it for weeks.

by Anonymousreply 3001/13/2013

Wow, she's so BRAVE! Truly a great American HERO!

by Anonymousreply 3101/13/2013

I'm with you R21 - this announcement was so far past the point of being relevant she shouldn't have bothered. It isn't about her - it's what her coming out could have meant to people (especially the young) who don't enjoy her privilege. She is standing on the shoulders of far braver men and women who contributed to the struggle for civil rights and the best she can manage is a grudging "Yep, I'm gay"? Between the Gibson friendship and the coy horseshit over over orientation, I lost respect for her years ago.

by Anonymousreply 3201/13/2013

Jeez, has anybody ever come out in a way that meets the elevated standards of DL? We gays eat our own, and not in the fun way.

by Anonymousreply 3301/13/2013

Tom Cruise and John Travolta should take notes on how to be A-list and openly gay.

by Anonymousreply 3401/13/2013

“If you had been a public figure since the time you were a toddler, if you had to fight for a life that felt real and honest and normal against all odds, then maybe you too would value privacy above all else,” Foster added.

I admire that despite all the noise, she was true to herself and what she wanted for her life and from it. Because in the end, nobody telling her how to live her life is going to at her deathbed.

Good for her and to hell with anybody who'd criticize her for living her life on her terms.

by Anonymousreply 3601/13/2013

She wasn't so private that she didn't talk about her children in interviews. Maybe if she'd refused to talk about them and didn't acknowledge that she had kids I would have had more respect for her privacy argument.

But I'm still glad she came out, and it took a lot of never to do it this way.

by Anonymousreply 3701/13/2013

[quote]If you had been a public figure since the time you were a toddler

So she thinks the world has been enthralled with her since her Coppertone Ad?

by Anonymousreply 3801/13/2013

I'm proud of her.

by Anonymousreply 3901/13/2013

Goodness! Looks like I lost ANOTHER pool at the office.

by Anonymousreply 4001/13/2013

did she come out? the speech was so confusing ....

by Anonymousreply 4101/13/2013

A friends' Facebook update:

"I'm glad that Jodie Foster thinks that coming out publicly is 'no big deal' and that you don't have to do interviews and make a big deal about it. She's right...TODAY, you MAY NOT HAVE TO, but there was a time, not too long ago, that it was an act of PRIDE, it was ACTIVISM, to proclaim your truth in order to shed light and, sometimes, save lives. I'm thilled that we're approaching a time when it is a non-issue. The part that pisses me off is that she got up there and mocked the risk all of the people who came out while she was hiding for decades and made it possible for her to get up there and act as if it was a non- issue. It's a non-issue because people risked their careers and yes, their lives, to make it so. So, on behalf of all those people, Jodie, you're welcome - and Fuck you."

by Anonymousreply 4201/13/2013

Who gives a fuck about Jodie coming out anyways? Besides, when your career is over, coming out is the best way to boost it out, bitches!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 4501/13/2013

[quote]Every gay person has to make that decision for themselves and they shouldn't be chastized for not coming out when you feel they should.

Every gay person in a position of power and influence owes it to his or her gay brothers and sisters to come out visibly, loudly, immediately and frequently to ease the suffering and save lives. Anything else is treason to our community.

by Anonymousreply 4601/13/2013

they don't owe anyone anything. period..

by Anonymousreply 4701/13/2013

[quote]It's easy to sit back and be critical since your lives mean basically nothing and you have nothing to lose when you tell people that you're gay.

To all the young men and women that have taken their lives, either because they couldn't or were so completely rejected from their families when they did -- your compassion and concern is appreciated R43.

All because of a useless movie star? You should be proud.

by Anonymousreply 4801/13/2013

How will the press handle the news tomorrow??

by Anonymousreply 4901/13/2013

Many years ago, Charles Barkley, NBA star, came out against the label, "sports hero". He basically said, it's not my responsiblity to live my life in order to teach children the way to live. He said that's what parents, teachers, clergy, communities should be doing, not him. I agreed with him then and I still do. It's not every gay celebrity's responsibility to sacrifice their careers in order to help anyone. If they choose to come out for personal reasons, fine. If not, they should not be criticized. It's not their responsibility.

by Anonymousreply 5001/13/2013

r48 so it's not the fault of those gay people's families but it's the fault of Jodie Foster? explain that again??

by Anonymousreply 5101/13/2013

Congratulations for coming out, BUT DON'T FUCKING BITTERLY WAG YOUR FINGER IN MY FACE. I don't need a privacy lecture from you, and that's a total bullshit argument, and you know it.

I'm sorry it took this long for you to build up the courage, but it needed to happen because we don't live in a world where we're accepted. Every little step counts.

Oh, and an extra special FUCK YOU to the CUNT Pat Kingsley, for her efforts to keep 90% of A list Hollywood in the closet.

by Anonymousreply 5201/13/2013

Los Angeles Times is shrugging it off .

I guess her appeal for privacy was heard.

by Anonymousreply 5401/13/2013

IT'S JODIE, YOU IDIOTS.

by Anonymousreply 5501/13/2013

Did I miss it? I watched. Did Jody really come out? She talked around it, but she never said she is gay. She was double talking and being so elusive.

by Anonymousreply 5601/13/2013

Jodie Foster ended years of rampant media speculation when she casually came out of the closet while accepting her Cecil B. Demille award at the Golden Globes Sunday night.

After being introduced by Robert Downey Jr., Foster coyly said, "While I’m here being all confessional, I just have the sudden urge to say something I’ve never been able to air in public. A declaration that I’m a little nervous about. Not quite as nervous as my publicist, huh, Jennifer? But uh, you know, I’m just going to put it out there. Loud and proud. I’m going to need your support. I am -- single!"

She then took a more serious turn, noting, "I already did my coming out about a thousand years ago, back in the Stone Age. In those very quaint days when a fragile young girl would open up to trusted friends, and family, coworkers and then gradually, proudly, to everyone who knew her."

Throughout her occasionally long-winded yet stirring speech, Foster, 50, went on to speak about privacy and its general absence in Hollywood -- a luxury that, to her, seems like a distant past. She took more than a few digs at oversharing, joking she was "not Honey Boo Boo" before adding, "If you had to fight a life that felt real and honest and normal against all odds, then maybe you, too, would value privacy above all else."

Foster also thanked her ex-partner and co-parent, Cydney Bernard, and said she would only take projects that challenged her creatively -- which left a number of publications such as the Los Angeles Times to speculate whether or not the Oscar-winning actress was also announcing her retirement.

She nonetheless concluded, “Here’s to the next 50 years!”

Foster now joins celebrities like Matt Bomer, Sam Champion and Anderson Cooper who've publicly addressed their sexuality in low-key, almost matter-of-fact ways.

by Anonymousreply 5701/13/2013

From LA Times

Affleck followed Jodie Foster, who took to the stage to give a ... retirement speech? A coming-out speech? It was hard to tell. She was receiving the Cecil B. DeMille Award for lifetime achievement when she ramped up to confess that she was single ... and seemed to sidestep directly addressing any questions about her sexual orientation.

Her acceptance speech at the 70th annual awards was also a rant in favor of privacy that brought many people to its feet. Foster noted that she has lived virtually her entire life in the public eye yet wanted to keep some things private. “I have given everything up there from the time I was 3 years old,” she said. “That is reality enough.” (Memo to Foster: Nothing will destroy an attempt at privacy like telling the world you want to keep your life private.)

by Anonymousreply 5801/13/2013

She sure looked great tonight. Jodie always seems to fall short of being attractive. Tonight, she looked very attractive. I don't give a hoot about her vagiterianism. This is america and no one should go hungry.

by Anonymousreply 5901/13/2013

[quote]How will the press handle the news tomorrow??

SUGART*TS FOSTER DATING ANTI-SEMITE GIBSON

by Anonymousreply 6001/13/2013

It's never mentioned that a lunatic who was stalking her while she was attending colllege tried to assassinate a US President to get her attention. That alone should have caused her to never give much of any of her privacy away.

by Anonymousreply 6101/13/2013

Jodie Foster Comes Out in Most Amazing Awards Speech of Our Time

OK, we need to walk through what just happened. I think it was Jody Foster refusing to come out as she came out, and then retiring. I think? I was crying, but I wasn't sure why, and then I was laughing, but I wasn't sure why. I think maybe Jodie Foster felt the same way. Also, she was possibly kinda drunk.

I know Foster was speaking out against all of the speculation about her sexuality — and famous people's sexuality in general — and how it's nobody's business. Which it isn't, but also, how can we not talk about what just went down? It sounds like she endured a pretty traumatic break-up recently, and is in a place of new beginnings, and I'm down to support the authentic Jodie Foster in whatever she does. Let's do this, Foster.

Just: Damn. A roller coaster ride of a speech, my friends.

by Anonymousreply 6201/13/2013

R61.

Good point.

by Anonymousreply 6301/13/2013

Her brother already outed her years ago in his tell-all book.

by Anonymousreply 6401/13/2013

Jodie Foster gets my Roman Polanski pass in life.

Roman Polanski pass - if your parents were killed in the Holocaust and your wife and unborn baby were slaughtered by serial killers, then you get a pass on diddling an underage girl.

As R61 mentions, if some lunatic tries to assassinate the leader of the free world because he is trying to get your attention, then you have every right to your privacy thereafter.

by Anonymousreply 6501/14/2013

She looks incredible for 50

by Anonymousreply 6601/14/2013

Foster also thanked her "heroic co-parent, my ex partner in love, but righteous soul sister in life. My confessor ... most beloved BFF of 20 years, Cydney Bernard. Thank you, Cyd. I am so proud of our modern family, our amazing sons, Charlie and Kit who are my reason to breathe and to evolve. ... Boys, in case you didn't know it, this song, like all of this, this song is for you."

by Anonymousreply 6901/14/2013

r68 read the post please. I'm not equating it with sports, I'm equating it with what a celebrity is truly responsible for. Ultimately, the very things you want celebrities to provide to young people, should be provided by their own families, friends and community, not celebrities. Learn how to read and decipher.

by Anonymousreply 7001/14/2013

[quote]then you get a pass on diddling an underage girl

For "diddling", read "drugging and anally raping".

by Anonymousreply 7101/14/2013

Why didn't that show Cydney? It looked as if Jodie was looking to her. And why couldn't her name be Melissa, or Sally, or Brenda to make it less ambiguous that she was talking about a chick?

by Anonymousreply 7201/14/2013

I hope someone posts the *full* video of her coming-out speech soon. (Jezebel only had about half of it.) Btw Mel did not "look horrified" when she came out; he gave her a wolf whistle, in fact (which she requested in the part of the audio that got cut off). And please: say what you will about him, but I think it's a safe assumption he's well aware that Jodie's gay and has been for a very long time. Given that she directed his last movie, he doesn't appear to have a problem with it.

And no, conspiracy-theory bitches, the sound didn't cut out because she started talking about coming out; they were either having general sound issues or someone uttered an obscenity that made the network kick in their usual seven-second-censoring protocol.

by Anonymousreply 7301/14/2013

They did show Cydney. Briefly, but they did show her.

by Anonymousreply 7401/14/2013

[quote]Why didn't that show Cydney?

Um, because they broke up years ago?

by Anonymousreply 7501/14/2013

Found the full thing on YouTube. I agree about Mel. He was supportive through it all. Right or wrong it seems he has been important to her. Btw the kids look fine and proud of their mom.

by Anonymousreply 7601/14/2013

The word 'gay' is not mentioned once on her Wikipedia entry - I just checked:

by Anonymousreply 7701/14/2013

She had to beg for a wolf whistle.

That's just tacky and sad.

by Anonymousreply 7801/14/2013

She didn't come out. She was coy about the whole thing. Show me proof where she came out. I watched the whole thing and didn't hear anything of the sort.

by Anonymousreply 8001/14/2013

It's not there, R79, other than one small reference to her being 'GLT' at the very bottom.

by Anonymousreply 8101/14/2013

So, you need it in bold, r81?

the speech:

[quote]... be a big coming-out speech tonight because I already did my coming out about a thousand years ago back in the Stone Age, in those very quaint days when a fragile young girl would open up to trusted friends and family and co-workers and then gradually, proudly to everyone who knew her, to everyone she actually met.

by Anonymousreply 8201/14/2013

R82, I asked if you could find a place on Jodie's Wikipedia page where it refers to her as being a gay woman.

I didn't ask you for a link to the text of her ambiguous speech in the LA Times.

by Anonymousreply 8301/14/2013

So true, R11.

She wasn't lying. She did come out long ago, at least in college, to friends. She lived with her girlfriend for at least a year, maybe more.

I don't know the real details of what happened with Hinckley (someone online once implied that Foster had egged him on at first by taking his calls and perhaps gone a step further, and so felt horrified and guilty when he shot Reagan, along with being totally panicked for her own safety). I do remember the school making changes to keep her safe, ones that went into effect immediately. If she did have direct phone contact with Hinckley, which would explain her sudden switch to a desire for total privacy from the public at age 18.

I know that during college, she had a "boyfriend" (also gay, also a friend of my best friend) she trotted out for the press to keep them out of her real personal life. In hindsight, I can't imagine what it was like to be her in 1980. I think she tried to come out with that speech thanking 'my beautiful Cydney' and backed out again for whatever reason.

At least she's out now. Other than DLers' tendency to lambaste gay people even more than straight homophobes, I expect she'll get a lot of support and positive feedback.

by Anonymousreply 8401/14/2013

I don't know what's ambiguous about that section of the speech. But to the wikipedia page, it does state that not all pages have been updated.

by Anonymousreply 8501/14/2013

Jodie came out--if that's what she did--sort of the same way Anderson Cooper did: "Oh I've bee out for years. My family and close friends always knew."

So they were always out? Yeah, right.

by Anonymousreply 8601/14/2013

It looked to me like the seating arrangement at her table confirmed the rumor that she's been dating that attractive tall brunette liberal radio host (can't remember her name) as it looked very much like it was her who was sitting on the other side of her two sons, THEN cydney was sitting next that brunette...

by Anonymousreply 8701/14/2013

[quote]She wasn't lying. She did come out long ago

If you are a public figure and you don't say you are gay, you are NOT OUT.

by Anonymousreply 8801/14/2013

I'm just not that into her anymore.

by Anonymousreply 8901/14/2013

[quote]Mel looked horrified when she came out.

How so?

by Anonymousreply 9001/14/2013

R87. If so, that was radio host Stephanie Miller.

by Anonymousreply 9101/14/2013

Mel was already horrified when he saw that no one other than Jodie would speak to him.

by Anonymousreply 9201/14/2013

I know, R88. I outed her a long time ago (many, many years ago now) on DL, and many people didn't believe me back then. I know she wasn't publicly out, and I didn't give her credit for being so.

But she WAS out to those who knew her, and she was out to all of her college (as in, her friends told their friends... that's the organic reaction... OK, it's late and time for me to stop posting)... not hiding in any way in real life. That was my point, and (I think) hers.

Now she is. Like Anderson Cooper, who seemed extremely embarrassed when he was thanked/complimented by Sushi on New Year's Eve, I think she'll be ungracious/awkward if she's asked to talk about it, but eventually they'll both get used to their new normal (being publicly out).

I just hope it's very, very different for the next generation of gay people. So far, at least in my experience, it is in some places. Coming-out stories that are so early, short, and positive that they wouldn't fill a journal entry, let alone an entire book.

That's what I want for the world.

by Anonymousreply 9301/14/2013

She looked absolutely terrified. It was so different from her usual Tough Geek persona that I wasn't sure what I was seeing for a minute. I thought she was having trouble breathing.

When it came down to it, she couldn't actually say the words but that's okay. She did the best that she could and it was enough. After all these years, Jodie Foster is out at last. It's good to have her with us.

If she'd been a local teacher trying to come out, stumbling a bit through what she wanted to say at a graduation, you'd be happy for her and cut her some slack. Be happy for Jodie Foster, Bitches.

by Anonymousreply 9401/14/2013

Why was Mel allowed to be there in the first place?

And why should we respect Jodie Foster if she is going to associate with him?

by Anonymousreply 9501/14/2013

Scroll down to the last photo in this set, and you can see the brunette I am talking about. Is that Stephanie Miller?

by Anonymousreply 9601/14/2013

Jodie's speech was bizare. Yes, some of it was touching and sentimental. But she made so much of her presence seem like she was coming out (or I've always been out, yeah right, whatever), but she just couldn't say the words clearly enough.

Also, did Jodie Foster announce that she was retiring from the movie business? It seemed so, but then she even walked that back. It was just bizare. If you're retiring, then say so.

by Anonymousreply 9801/14/2013

I think it was so rambling and she seemed to manic because she was terrified and drunk. And I think she didn't mean to say half of what she said the WAY she said it.

Some people thought she equated all previous gay outings to Honey Boo Boo, but i think that's too harsh an interpretation.

Also, remember back in 2007 she outed herself (she thought) when she thanked Cyndey lovingly and publicly at a women in film event.

by Anonymousreply 9901/14/2013

R96. The woman in the last photo in your link is not Stephanie Miller. I don't know who it is, but it's not Stephanie.

by Anonymousreply 10001/14/2013

I think it's possible she was making the retirement comments because THAT'S how afraid she's been of coming out 'all the way' -- that it would end her career.

Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 10101/14/2013

thanks r100. So.

I wonder who she is. And why wasn't Cydney sitting directly on the other side of the boys?

by Anonymousreply 10201/14/2013

R102. You have to remember that they're a family--it wasn't a bunch on political leaders or studio heads sitting at the table. Family members don't always care where they sit or who sits next to each other.

So the fact that Cydney wasn't sitting right beside the boys may not have mattered to them--the way it might matter to the people speculating what it all meant, when in fact, it might have meant nothing.

by Anonymousreply 10301/14/2013

by Anonymousreply 10401/14/2013

I didn't think the "reality show/Honey Boo Boo" was making fun at those who came out before her, but media (and some people's) demand/entitlement the frustration of having to sell out your privacy to be seen as completely out - it isn't just a mention (like in 2007) it has to be more.

Unless Anderson et al are also coming out with a fragrance I don't know about...

by Anonymousreply 10501/14/2013

Jodie...a press conference and a frangrance is for the Kardashians. No one expects that from someone coming out. We just expected you to say you're gay--if that's what you were trying to do. So, I guess you're still not officially 'out.'

But then again, maybe it's tough to say in front of your kids who still have to go to school tomorrow morning.

And, did you retire or not?

Jodie sweetie, I think we need a "Take Two" for clarification sake. Yeah, yeah, you and Anderson Cooper have always been 'out.' Not really.

by Anonymousreply 10601/14/2013

The transcript is totally weird and confusing. And the description of Cydney was very odd - if she is her former lover, then why didn't she say that! Basically hard to know what she was really saying.

by Anonymousreply 10701/14/2013

She's been hanging around with Mel and Robert Downey too much. Her thinking is all off.

by Anonymousreply 10801/14/2013

Did she have pushy stage parents?

by Anonymousreply 11001/14/2013

Her mother, yes.

(Who was also a closeted lesbian from what I understand...)

by Anonymousreply 11101/14/2013

Why all the teeth gnashing? If you're still unclear after last night's speech, then you might just be obtuse for the sake of being obtuse.

by Anonymousreply 11201/14/2013

No one who is bearding like Bradley could tell themselves they are out unless they are seriously delusional.

by Anonymousreply 11401/14/2013

I have a question for the posters who say she's entitled to keep quiet about her private life because of Hinkley. What about the fact she has always talked about her children. I've seen her go on talk shows and talk about going on vacation with the kids (without mentioning that Cydney was also there). She has also never used "we" the way so many coupes do.

I would think that if fear is your reason for keeping private then you would be especially guarded about your children.

by Anonymousreply 11501/14/2013

If she doesn't want to be a public figure, she should go teach French in Cameroon or something.

by Anonymousreply 11601/14/2013

Who was the brunette????

by Anonymousreply 11701/14/2013

I can see both sides of these reactions.

The Mel Gibson thing is the hardest to stomach/understand.

by Anonymousreply 11901/14/2013

[quote]Finally, out and proud...

Out, but about as proud as Nate Silver or a Cabinette.

by Anonymousreply 12001/14/2013

Although I'm glad she did it, I'm kind of with you r118, and I think everyone, including that entire room and the television audience were uncomfortable with her inclusion of Mel Gibson. It was very bizarre. He seemed like (other than her odd insistence on keeping him around) a total pariah.

by Anonymousreply 12101/14/2013

I wonder why she finds it copacetic to reveal her sexuality now, rather than at the academy award show in 1992?

by Anonymousreply 12201/14/2013

r122 are you being facetious or just stupid?

by Anonymousreply 12301/14/2013

This thread is useless without a source.

Can someone link to a video or transcript please?

by Anonymousreply 12401/14/2013

Meh, she's still being kind of a bitch about it all.

by Anonymousreply 12501/14/2013

Trying desperately to be fair to JODI FOSTER, but what she did last night by standing in front of millions of people and being too ashamed to say the word lesbian or gay sent the message that being gay is something of which to be ashamed. Don't believe me? Kathy Lee and Hoda this morning talked about her speech and tripped over themselves to NOT use the word gay or lesbian. I am saddened that after all of these years and all the progress we've made, her first concern was about how it was going to effect her career and publicity. Oh, my brothers and sisters, we have so much further to go until we can enjoy the sweet victory of equality.

by Anonymousreply 12601/14/2013

Here, lazy.

by Anonymousreply 12701/14/2013

ok found the link.

She was fucking manic. Wow. What an odd speech. It almost sounded angry and bitter.

It sounded like it was written by Jennifer McCartney.

by Anonymousreply 12801/14/2013

They didn't edit anything out. The audio dropped out.

by Anonymousreply 12901/14/2013

[quote]It almost sounded angry and bitter.

She's a lesbian; you're surprised...why?

by Anonymousreply 13001/14/2013

Transcript

by Anonymousreply 13101/14/2013

Ok,without mentioning the words 'gay', 'lesbian' or even 'Love' in the generic sense... that was the longest not-really-kinda-please-say-it-for-me- 'coming out' speech I've ever heard.

For fuck's sake I never realized how insecure she was. It all makes sense now.

by Anonymousreply 13201/14/2013

Um, r 130. Gay boys can't be angry and bitter?

by Anonymousreply 13301/14/2013

Why is it that everyone complains when celebrities don't come out. They finally do so, and then everyone complains they didn't do it the right way or in a way that satisfies them?

From today's news coverage, it's clear that she came out as a lesbian. She did it in a very high profile venue.

What else do you want from her?

by Anonymousreply 13401/14/2013

I get the sense that the media was expecting her to come out and some how it had been assumed that she was going to say something.

Then she got up there and couldn't actually say it or didn't want to say it the way people expected.

In all of this she sounds soooo reluctant about it all. But the media is going forward and writing in the blanks, declaring her now officially Out.

These are interesting times we live in. The press is almost doing her a favor to portray this as an official coming out speech.

by Anonymousreply 13501/14/2013

She looked fabulous but anything but proud. She seemed incoherent.

by Anonymousreply 13601/14/2013

She was simply a little drunk.

by Anonymousreply 13701/14/2013

r126, why did you sign as Harvey, did he say that? Here's something he did say on Twitter:

"I saw her mouth moving. I heard the words. But what was Jodie Foster trying to say?"

by Anonymousreply 13801/14/2013

From Twitter:

Zach Braff ‏@zachbraff

That was so inspiring to watch Jody Foster give her speech in character as Nell.

by Anonymousreply 14001/14/2013

signorile on the whole thing

[quote] It was also another example of the new way that celebrities are coming out, embarrassed in 2013 to have ever been in the closet and claiming that they've always been out (even if that sounds pretty ludicrous, as it does in this case)

by Anonymousreply 14101/14/2013

Michelangelo Signorile

Jodie Foster: What Her Gay Coming Out Means in 2013

Yes, if she'd done it 20 years ago, 10 years ago, even five years ago, it would have had a much greater impact.

And yes, she was a nervous mess, her speech often incoherent and oblique -- never quite saying, "Yep, I'm gay" -- and at times defensive and angry.

But Jodie Foster did announce her "coming out" last night at the Golden Globes and thanked her "ex-partner-in-love," her "righteous soul sister in life," her "confessor," Cydney Bernard. It was another win for busting down the closet door among public figures.

It was also another example of the new way that celebrities are coming out, embarrassed in 2013 to have ever been in the closet and claiming that they've always been out (even if that sounds pretty ludicrous, as it does in this case). And that's a testament to the coming-out message that activists have made for years.

Jodie Foster's sexual orientation has been discussed since the '80s, when her face was plastered on "Absolutely Queer" posters pasted by activists all over the streets of major cities. I discussed the rumors in my column in OutWeek magazine at the time, when queer activists charged that Foster's 1991 film The Silence of the Lambs was homophobic -- and, by today's more precise definition, transphobic -- and asked what responsibility a closeted gay star should have when it comes to anti-gay depictions in his or her own films. But for decades Foster steadfastly refused to discuss it, even in recent years as she made references to her former partner.

Foster led a rarified life as a Hollywood celebrity who began her career as a child star, growing up and never separating gay identity from all the other aspects and activities of life that the media constantly delved into and put on display.

It's bizarre but not completely out of the realm of comprehension that she relates to fellow celebrity Mel Gibson, even though he's spewed homophobic bile, more than she relates to gay activists, who've criticized her for being closeted just as they've criticized Gibson for being anti-gay.

And yet Foster's not an idiot. She studied at Yale and was plugged in to the issues that lesbian activists whom she knew on campus at the time, such as my former colleague and friend, the late Sarah Pettit, were focused on. She has always known why it's important for public figures to be out, and she chose not to do it. She instead kept it a secret while lending financial support to groups like Trevor Project, the 24/7 hotline for LGBT youth, and her generosity was certainly a great thing.

The defensiveness was there last night as she seemed to be trying to jab at us, the public, even while finally giving us what she believed we wanted, and while seeming to announce that she's retiring. The responses on Twitter were as all-over-the-place as Foster's speech itself. Some lauded her for saying she was "proud" and said she came out with "grace," while others shrugged off Foster's coming out as "too little, too late" and still others expressed anger and indignation for her casting it all as so private and never saying the "L" word.

But whatever you thought of last night, you'd have to agree that it was another indication of how it's becoming harder and harder for anyone in public life to have any real credibility and still be living in the closet. Personally, I don't care if people like Jodie Foster are bitter or annoyed at activists. It's the job of activists to challenge people and, yes, to annoy people. What I care about is that the repressive and suffocating gay closet not be seen as a good place even if it is still the only safe choice for many. The only reason that millions are still in the closet is that society forces them there under threat of punishment. But things get easier for all those millions of closeted individuals when Hollywood celebrities and media figures come out. And more and more, it appears that it's becoming their responsibility, as privileged members of society, to do so.

by Anonymousreply 14201/14/2013

Harvey Fierstein's Facebook status update:

"Trying desperately to be fair to JODI FOSTER, but what she did last night by standing in front of millions of people and being too ashamed to say the word lesbian or gay sent the message that being gay is something of which to be ashamed. Don't believe me? Kathy Lee and Hoda this morning talked about her speech and tripped over themselves to NOT use the word gay or lesbian. I am saddened that after all of these years and all the progress we've made, her first concern was about how it was going to effect her career and publicity. Oh, my brothers and sisters, we have so much further to go until we can enjoy the sweet victory of equality."

by Anonymousreply 14301/14/2013

Now she is an "eldergay" so she fits into another DL hate group.

by Anonymousreply 14401/14/2013

Looks like Signorile and Fierstein are two of the only people to hold her to account.

by Anonymousreply 14501/14/2013

I just saw a tweet by someone saying[italic] "It is a shame that Jodie Foster was unable to come out with the class and grace of Ellen Degeneres."[/italic]

Are they for fucking real? This had to be written by a 12 year old. Does anyone remember how much SHIT Ellen got when she came out over the course of a YEAR through teasing little tidbits on her show and in interviews? Then even after she made it official she openly admitted to Diane Sawyer that she didn't like the the word "lesbian" because it sounded "like a disease."

Ellen's own self-perception has changed since then. She's become more empowered and her career has done much much better.

The projection of process and self-perception from one celebrity to another is ridiculous. Pretty much ANY and EVERY celeb that has ever come out has been criticized for not doing it sooner, or being too blatant, or not blatant enough or "We knew it all along, " etc.

I'm glad Jodie is out, however haltingly and bitterly she did it. It's done. She's no saint but not too many of us are. All we can do is take it from here and talk about it and keep the dialogue going.

by Anonymousreply 14701/14/2013

[quote]By LYING and insisting she came out when she didn't, you are doing more harm to us and our rights. She DID NOT COME OUT.

Yes, but she is officially Out now. She's basically let the media do it for her. Which is ironic considering how much of that speech was about her right to privacy. By NOT saying it, she is inviting others to take the reigns for her.

I just think it's kinda sad, really. She has no idea how she's making the media speculation, or post-discussion, so much worse because she's so reluctant to actually say the thing.

by Anonymousreply 14801/14/2013

R147, I think you are missing the point. Coming out would have made a much bigger impact years ago. Jodie Foster has not been at her peak of influence since the early 1990's.

by Anonymousreply 14901/14/2013

r149, No. That wasn't the point of that tweet. That tweet was white-washing the reality of Ellen's coming out.

Ellen's coming out was hard for her too in different ways— and she was criticized as must as Foster is being done so now, for different reasons. (Ellen was criticized for making a career move out of it. Using it to publicize her show, etc. )

by Anonymousreply 15001/14/2013

She came out. When it's a white male, there's no need for a public parade, so why are you demanding different from Foster?

Unlike others (whose names I won't mention) she has had the courage to publicly mention the fact that she has a partner and is in a longterm relationship. What good is saying you're gay if you pretend the person you love doesn't exist. Yet some have done it?

So when the men who say they're gay and still act like middle aged spinsters who aren't in actual relationships get held to the same standard, then I will consider the criticism of Foster legitimate.

Till then, get off her fucking back. Stop eating our own.

by Anonymousreply 15101/14/2013

But look which one made a much, much bigger impact, R150, and which one was done FIFTEEN years earlier.

by Anonymousreply 15201/14/2013

Does her mother have dementia or Alzheimer's?

by Anonymousreply 15301/14/2013

yes

by Anonymousreply 15401/14/2013

[quote]What good is saying you're gay if you pretend the person you love doesn't exist.

Here we go again with Ben Maisani.

by Anonymousreply 15501/14/2013

[quote]What good is saying you're gay if you pretend the person you love doesn't exist. Yet some have done it?

Gurl, go ahead and tell us who you're talking about!

by Anonymousreply 15601/14/2013

What R94 said.

by Anonymousreply 15701/14/2013

R147, do you need it pointed out that Ellen came out almost 20 YEARS AGO???

by Anonymousreply 15801/14/2013

I thought Jodie's (sic) words were lovely. atch and listen to the whole thing. Perhaps focus on the parts about privacy, and about how she has been in the business since she was a toddler, and then about howshe HOPES her mother might understand her message of LOVE.

As someone who has believed/known Jodie to be gay since at least 2001 (my brother and his his gf used to see her and Cydney at the farmers market all the time, then later with babies)--I thought she made a moving, eloquent and beautiful case for the partly generational and largely personal choice to remain private.

We all come out when and how it makes sense for us, right? She's 50. Had she come completely out at 30 or even 40, who's to say it wouldn't have harmed her, her kids, or her relationships?

by Anonymousreply 15901/14/2013

[quote]She bombed in her moment. From the looks on the faces of most people seen on television during her speech, save for when she started crying about her mom, was discomfort because her comedic skills were so lacking and her jokes were bombing. It wasn't until she turned on the tears that the tide shifted.

This is the problem I have with SO MANY other gay men. Everything is life is NOT a performance to be critiqued by an audience. Jodie herself probably doesnt view what she did as brave. She was just using an occasion that was important to her to let other people know what is important to her. That's alright with me.

by Anonymousreply 16001/14/2013

Am I the only one who noticed Cydney Bernard sitting there looking miserable?

by Anonymousreply 16101/14/2013

Jodie's advice to kstew

by Anonymousreply 16201/14/2013

[quote]This is the problem I have with SO MANY other gay men...

What the hell does any of this have to do with Gay men, asshole?

by Anonymousreply 16301/14/2013

[quote]When it's a white male, there's no need for a public parade, so why are you demanding different from Foster?

What kind of bullshit comparison is that? of course we are asking for the same thing of all men of all colors (why just white?) as we are for Foster.

You're full of horseshit.

by Anonymousreply 16401/14/2013

SOME PEOPLE believe that you don't have to identify as a word, such as GAY or LESBIAN to say who you really are. Identifying is annoying as much as the next person who says, Im STRAIGHT. Its ridiculous. She clearly loves pussy. She thanked her partner of over 20 years. What more do you want? There is no right or wrong way to come out, or to eat a Reese's for that matter. Everyone is at a different stage in their own life and evolvement. So what, Jodie didn't say, "Im GAY." She is at where she is at in HER life. CLEARLY, it was NERVE racking enough for her to do what she did last night. Give her credit.

No one here is chastising what Hugh did in his speech, or what many other actors/actresses have done and will continue to do to their dying day - stay 100% closeted.

Ridiculing Jodie for what she did last night, instead of looking for her progress (even if you view it as miniscule) IS actually the problem holding the "gay" movement back - not what she actually did.

No one hates on gay people more than gays themselves. Don't think its true? Ask yourself....

There, said.

by Anonymousreply 16501/14/2013

I think Jodi just outed Cydney Bernard.

by Anonymousreply 16601/14/2013

I thought it was raw and real and she seemed nervous and it was hard to watch. That being said, I love Jodie and the haters should calm down.

by Anonymousreply 16701/14/2013

What is the obsession here with using the word "gay" to describe oneself? If someone doesn't want to identify with that word yet publicly acknowledges they are in same-sex relationships or attracted to the same-sex, why would you care? Just because you appropriate a certain word for yourself, why would you care if other people don't want to? The word "gay" has political and social connotations that many same-sex folks don't identify with. It's not your life to control.

by Anonymousreply 16801/14/2013

LOL 162, that photo always just says it all!

by Anonymousreply 16901/14/2013

And by the way, if you listen carefully to the Oscar speeches she made before --when she speaks about "my tribes" and then says her mother taught her that "cruelty may be very human, and very cultural, but it is never acceptable" and then later for "Silence" Jodie goes further when she dedicates the award to all the women who came before her and are her blood and didn't have her chances, etc.

She wasn't lying when she said she has been out for some time.

by Anonymousreply 17001/14/2013

[quote]Jodie's advice to kstew

Looks like Kristen plans to stay in the closet awhile longer!

by Anonymousreply 17101/14/2013

Damn

by Anonymousreply 17201/14/2013

One of the most beautiful speeches that I have ever seen. She looks so young and beautiful too...amazing toned arms. Mel Gibson had tears in his eyes while she was talking. Their relationship is so weird.

by Anonymousreply 17301/14/2013

"Kathy Lee and Hoda this morning talked about her speech and tripped over themselves to NOT use the word gay or lesbian."

How is that Jodie's problem? Wendy Williams said Foster was a lesbian and that most people already knew it. The girls on THE TALK and THE VIEW discussed it and said the word. So why is he holding Foster accountable for the actions of those two?

"What kind of bullshit comparison is that? of course we are asking for the same thing of all men of all colors (why just white?) as we are for Foster."

When Matt Bomer finally discussed his relationship with Simon Halls, the community wasn't ripping him apart over his prior lack of silence or his inability to say I AM GAY.

And Anderson Cooper has been out for months now. I don't see Harvey Firestein publicly blasting him for not mentioning the man he's lived with for years. (Yes I went there). It's the flip side of the coin in Foster's case.

I'm of the mindset that everyone does what they should do. But the gay community loves to establish different rules for different people. Sorry if that offends you, but it's the truth. It's tiring and it needs to stop. If Harvery is that pissed over the current situation, there are plenty of targets he can be running his mouth on, not just Foster.

by Anonymousreply 17401/14/2013

[quote]I don't see Harvey Firestein publicly blasting him for not mentioning the man he's lived with for years. (Yes I went there).

Went where?

Harvey has been out for years.

by Anonymousreply 17501/14/2013

I say good for Jodie. She finally does it and people on DL are still criticizing her. Nuts.

I think everyone should be allowed to privacy, gay, straight, rich or poor. It is getting harder to come by with the camera-computer society we our now living in.

Activists and people on DL complained because she wasn't out enough. She comes out and people criticize what words she may or may not have used.

Or the dumb straights say "Oh, is this news?" Like they did with Anderson. Yes, it is big fucking news because NO A-list star has ever come out. They bascially want gay people to shut up because they do not want them to exist.

And then there are the real morons that you can see on yahoo and other sites, just spouting the typical rightwing anti-gay shit.

Obviously she had to live a private life after being dragged into the madness of an assassin (Hinkley) when she was still quite young.

And she was a child star who grew to be not troubled, but smart, creative, and strong. Bravo, Jodie!

by Anonymousreply 17601/14/2013

If somebody shot a president to gain my attention, I would be FREAKED OUT over my privacy, too.

by Anonymousreply 17701/14/2013

I love your post, R176. Yep, she's too cool! It touches me that she seemed so nervous about it too--God bless her for being an honest, vulnerable person. All of those phonies sitting there in the audience--the guys on the down-low, the porn addicts, the promiscuous, the actors/actresses who have slept their way to success- Jodie Foster puts them all to shame!

I still don't like her movies though, LOL, but I respect her more than anyone else working in Hollywood. AND she's got the balls to befriend Mel Gibson--she must be a very loyal person.

by Anonymousreply 17801/14/2013

This says it all.

by Anonymousreply 17901/14/2013

Why did she and Cydney break up after 20 years?

by Anonymousreply 18001/14/2013

[quote] What is the obsession here with using the word "gay" to describe oneself

If someone asks a straight man or woman, "Are you straight?" they will say yes. They don't say, "Well, I'm in a relationship with a member of the opposite sex right now" or "I prefer opposite sex relationships, since they are the only ones I've ever had." Or, "I'm not sure what that really means. Am I straight if my relationships are not with members f the same sex?"

They say yeah, I'm straight. Or yeah, I'm heterosexual.

Why is it so difficult for a gay/homosexual to admit as casually and as matter-of-factly that yeah, they're gay. "Yup. I'm gay. I'm a homosexual." Why all of this tiptoeing through the tulips about the nature of relationships and how one needs to be described in multiple word explanations. You're gay, you're straight, you're bi or maybe you're pure undecided. But when you're a man who only likes cock or a woman who only has sex with other women, you're gay. Why are you not cool with that?

by Anonymousreply 18101/14/2013

And to add to what R181 is saying, it's important even more when you are a public figure because if you don't say you are gay, you will not be referred to as gay by the media. You have to say you are gay or they cannot report you to be gay (for legal and other reasons).

by Anonymousreply 18201/14/2013

Here's a "glass closet" update.

by Anonymousreply 18301/14/2013

[quote]All of those phonies sitting there in the audience

Well, yeah. Exactly.

Maybe that's why so many tears among those standing in ovation.

by Anonymousreply 18401/14/2013

r180, She was probably tired of being called "roommate" in front of company?

In defense of the media, they don't care about Jodie Foster privacy because she's so fucking boring.

Im so sick of Hugh Jackman gushing over his wife every time he wins an award. We get it Hugh, you desperatly don't want the world to think you're the creampuff that you are.

by Anonymousreply 18501/14/2013

most voted NYTimes comment:

[quote]The only thing that bothered me is she looked down on Honey Boo Boo who may not be brilliant, but seems to be kind while praising Mel Gibson who is neither.

by Anonymousreply 18601/14/2013

R186 that proves how dumb people are. She never said anything negative about HBB. She just said that kind of life wasn't for her. I can't believe people are too dumb to get the rhetoric.

Oh and whoever was asking -- the brunette sitting at Jodie's table is Susan Downey - RDJ's wife. Jodie's sons filled Jodie's and RDJ's seats during the speech. The Globes want as many famous faces as possible together. So the seating was Mel, Jodie, RDJ, Susan, Charlie, Cydney, and Kit.

by Anonymousreply 18701/14/2013

r181, well what if you are a dude who doesn't like "co*k", but likes male butt and abs?

by Anonymousreply 18801/14/2013

My God! This is why no A-LIST star ever wants to come out. They get shit from the homophobes, they get shit from the apathetic straights (who already knew so why bother coming out), they get shit from the "activists" for not coming out sooner, they get shit from the militants for not coming out in the exact same manner that they see fit, they get shit from catty idiot bystanders, it's simply not fucking worth all the grief!!

And before people start throwing out names of tv stars who are only known in the US, think about what this is -- An actual movie star, one that's an American film icon who's been known around the world since the 70s. She is the first movie star to come out.

by Anonymousreply 18901/14/2013

She cheated on Cydney. That's what ended their relationship.

by Anonymousreply 19001/14/2013

If she'd come out 20 years ago, her career would've ended 20 years ago. The movies she did after SOTL (Sommersby/Maverick) they didn't want her even though she'd just won two Oscars and starred in two hits!

Imagine if she'd come out, she wouldn't have booked them, wouldn't have done Nell, Contact, etc...because everything builds on the past success.

We'd be talking about what a pivotal moment it was in Queer Cinema History and sitting around going WHET to Jodie Foster. She'd be lucky to be doing guest starring roles on Law &Order.

by Anonymousreply 19201/14/2013

No she didn't R190. That relationship was dead. The trashy Daily Mail added the cheating scandal (or were tipped off by a liar). Foster didn't bother correcting the report because she's never done so, preferring them to burn out on their own.

by Anonymousreply 19301/14/2013

She didn't come out. If she was out how come it isn't on the Wikipedia huh?

It was on the Wikipedia when Beverly Archer died and she wasn't nearly as famous, and she didn't even die.

by Anonymousreply 19401/14/2013

She's out, like it or not the world has taken it this way. She was clear, she may not used the words but she's out.

If you can't accept it, that's because you don't want too. Its that simple. She's out and everyone is taking it that way.

by Anonymousreply 19501/14/2013

Wiki is updated. Happy?

R189 - good post.

by Anonymousreply 19601/14/2013

So who was the tall brunette sitting next to the boys and Cydney?

She did look a lot like Stephanie Miller, imo.

Photo at r96....

by Anonymousreply 19701/14/2013

Actually R181, if you were to ask a hetero if they're straight they would more likely say, "OF COURSE!! HOW DARE YOU?! WHAT ELSE WOULD I BE, YOU FUCKING FAGGOT!!"

You're living in a dream world.

by Anonymousreply 19801/14/2013

[quote]if you were to ask a hetero if they're straight they would more likely say, "OF COURSE!! HOW DARE YOU?! WHAT ELSE WOULD I BE, YOU FUCKING FAGGOT!!

And if they were gay, they'd hiss at you.

by Anonymousreply 19901/14/2013

Although, Stephanie did tell Jodie to give her a call today in the morning r197, she said she had never met Jodie.

That is Robert Downey Jr. wife, Susan Downey.

by Anonymousreply 20001/14/2013

THANK you r200!

by Anonymousreply 20101/14/2013

Unless she says "I'm gay," that means she's not out.

by Anonymousreply 20201/14/2013

bullshit r202/

by Anonymousreply 20301/14/2013

No r202, that's you resisting what everyone in the world is saying right now. That's up to you, but you look ridiculous saying she isn't out.

by Anonymousreply 20401/14/2013

I kind of hate Cindy Mort, and blame her for their breakup, "dying relationship" or not.

by Anonymousreply 20501/14/2013

Celebs respond respond on Twitter:

Rosie O'Donnell: "jodie foster - rather amazing speech:

Kathy Griffin: "I'm a big #JodieFoster fan, especially 2nite. Her speech tells LGBT youth: America has evolved, b proud of who u are!!"

Kelly Osbourne: "f*** yeah Jodie Foster your speech is amazing!!!"

Jose Canseco: "Wow Jodie Foster at goldenglobes makes me want to join the lesbians"

Emmy Rossum: "Jodie Foster is an inspiration. Incredible speaker. So moving."

Jesse Tyler Ferguson: "Jodie Foster. You are perfection. I love you"

Richard Dreyfuss: Jodie Foster is one of the most amazing actresses of all time. More than tha"t she's one of the most amazing people"

Ricky Gervais: "When a rich, famous woman comes out as gay, you always get fat blokes saying 'what a waste' like they'd have a chance if she was straight.

Lena Dunham: "The highlights of my evening (aside from the obvious) were Bill Clinton and Jodie Foster. Also seeing Adele turns out to be like seeing G-d"

Chelsea Clinton: "Thank you #JodieFoster for your sharing your grace & grit over 47 yrs, and most of all tonight."

Patricia Heaton: "I just watched #JodieFoster's Golden Globes speech, and now I have to get my makeup retouched as it's running down my face! What class!"

Kristin Chenowith: "I love Jodie Foster."

Valerie Bertinelli: "I love Jodie Foster."

Ryan Murphy: "I love Jodie Foster so much."

Questlove: "...so Jodie Foster is single eh?"

by Anonymousreply 20601/14/2013

No one should care if a person - ANY person - is gay or straight.

I refuse to be defined by my sexuality.

If someone would ask me if I was gay or straight, I would reply that it is none of their business. Getting any job - acting or otherwise - should have nothing to do with how a person has sex, of course I am talking consenting adults here.

by Anonymousreply 20701/14/2013

I can't believe all these people applauding her when she bring the ultimate douche bag Mel Gibson as her date. Also, noone has mentioned how her oldest son sure looked gay.

by Anonymousreply 20801/14/2013

Re: Patricia Heaton's tweet

I thought she was "Dead at 54".

by Anonymousreply 20901/14/2013

[quote]I refuse to be defined by my sexuality.

But you are. Society defines you whether you like it or not.

What that definition is -however- broadens when you let people know that you're gay.

Or that gay = you and so many other people who are nothing like you.

We are all 'defined' by other people, until we take control of the vocabulary ourselves.

by Anonymousreply 21001/14/2013

r208 you are vile.

Her sons are both underage and not even sexually aware, necessarily.

And Gibson wasn't her "date". He was a guest at her table.

Moron.

by Anonymousreply 21101/14/2013

[quote] Patricia Heaton: "I just watched #JodieFoster's Golden Globes speech, and now I have to get my makeup retouched as it's running down my face! What class!"

Oh please, bitch. How dare she pretend to be empathetic when she's part of the crew that makes it hell for LGBT people in this country.

Evil, stinky twat....

by Anonymousreply 21201/14/2013

R202, you're being a plank.

The point of her speech is that she has been out her adult life, her real life, to anyone who's basically interacted with her. To her being out doesn't mean making a pronouncement to millions of people she doesn't know.

If you still think Jodie Foster's sexuality is something she is hiding today, then you're being obtuse.

She also didn't directly say what her mother's medical ailment is--and yet she very eloquently and powerfully made us understand that her mother is obviously not in a condition to fully engage in her surroundings. Why can't you see she used the same approach to explain the life she has lived and her steadfastness on the privacy issue? It was clunky at times, but Foster made her point to those who were willing to use their adult listening ears for the 7 minutes she was on stage.

But in this day and age, perhaps she should have just tweeted in a 140 characters. Probably would have gotten much less shit.

by Anonymousreply 21401/14/2013

Patty Heaton was so moved that she will vote against her rights again next election

by Anonymousreply 21501/14/2013

"I am...SINGLE!"

What the fuckety fuck? So being "single" means being homosexual? What kind of crazy bullshit is that? Being single means not being married or in a relationship. Is "single" now a euphemism for the word "gay?" This is supposed to be a big "coming out?" She's STILL not saying she's gay! Some "coming out!"

by Anonymousreply 21601/14/2013

It was a joke r216. Are you totally devoid of a sense of humor?

by Anonymousreply 21701/14/2013

Fr all of you hating on Jodie--how many of you have stayed trim and slim all these years? How many of you are not bipolar?

Yeah, I thought so!

by Anonymousreply 21801/14/2013

are you joking, R216? She was making a joke.

by Anonymousreply 21901/14/2013

"I already did my coming out a thousand years ago back in the Stone Age. Those very quaint days when a fragile young girl would open up to trusted friends and family and co-workers… But now apparently I’m told that every celebrity is expected to honor the detailsof their private life with a press conference, a fragrance, and a primetime reality show.”

She already did her "coming out" a thousand years ago? Hah! She's been closeted for a thousand years! CLOSETED. And she sure as hell has never struck me as a "fragile young girl." Jodi Foster has always come across as a very tough cookie. I don't believe she was ever very "fragile" even as a child.

This "coming out" speech seems full of anger and bitterness. She speaks as though she were forced to do it; she appears to not like it one bit. It's very insincere. She's not "loud and proud." She's loud and pissed off.

Why did she do this? Well, maybe her agent or publicist or somebody close to her said it was time to fess up to being gay and that she shouldn't put it off any longer. Maybe that's why she did it. But she sure didn't like doing it. That's really obvious.

She's no hero. Not by a long shot.

by Anonymousreply 22001/14/2013

lol, R218

by Anonymousreply 22101/14/2013

I've always wondered if Jodie ever made it with Cherie Currie while filming "Foxes."

by Anonymousreply 22201/14/2013

She's no hero but maybe she was moved by the tragic shootings of the lesbian couple sitting on a park bench in Texas.

Do we all see how dangerous it is to be gay, or even (wrongly) perceived as gay?

by Anonymousreply 22301/14/2013

I guess the issue comes down to when is a celebrity closeted? If their friends, family and co workers know, but they don't discuss it in public, are they closeted?

by Anonymousreply 22401/14/2013

It's never that big of a deal when a female celebrity comes out of the closet because lesbians are more accepted by society than gay men.

by Anonymousreply 22601/14/2013

[quote]Fr all of you hating on Jodie--how many of you have stayed trim and slim all these years? How many of you are not bipolar?

You couldn't be more right.

by Anonymousreply 22701/14/2013

Science hasn't yet solved the mysterious link between gays and bipolar disorder.

by Anonymousreply 22801/14/2013

Me too r222. In her book she said she had the same intense relationship as with Joan Jett. I liked to think she meant relationship as in fling. Sure made it sound that way.

by Anonymousreply 23001/14/2013

I'm not always such a Harvey Fierstein fan but I think he summed up the situation more succinctly than anyone else.

Not having the simple courage to use the words "gay" or "lesbian" is really pathetic for a 50 year old in this day and age.

by Anonymousreply 23101/14/2013

r229, I think that's the battle. You have old gays who are bitter and want their 3 words spoken with a magazine cover, while others seem to be fine and respect that she is trying to just live her life.

On the other hand, some of the younger generation don't seem to understand her privacy need. We are so used to people flauting everything now a days that they don't realize what she went through in the early 80's and beyond. John H. wasn't the only one that tried to harm her. She's been with us for so long, I think its easy to get these facts lost.

by Anonymousreply 23201/14/2013

Jane Lynch came out with simplicity, grace and certainty.

by Anonymousreply 23301/14/2013

Some of the most bitter weren't even BORN when the Hinckley mess happened....

by Anonymousreply 23401/14/2013

This article...

by Anonymousreply 23501/14/2013

Trish Van Devere: How sad that Jodie Foster has come out as lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 23601/14/2013

Did trish van devere REALLY say that?

by Anonymousreply 23701/14/2013

Actually, while he may not have intended it, this makes a lot of sense:

"What Jodie Foster and her fellow persecuted celebrities are really saying is, "We want to enjoy the vast riches that come with commanding the attention of the public, but we want to tell the public exactly when and where and how to direct that attention." You, the public, must work on behalf of the celebrities. Not vice versa. Celebrities have it hard enough already. Everyone, once you hand over your money to Hollywood, please stop paying attention to them, until the next movie comes out."

There's a difference between doing the things that go with your job and being a celebrity puking on the pavement after a night out.

So, yeah, I actually think if that's an accurate summary of what Jodie thinks, she's thinking pretty sensibly.

by Anonymousreply 23801/14/2013

Jodie Foster cannot win, but she will be fine. The reactions on this thread are mostly very discouraging. Gay people eat their own is right, and on DL all but innocuous pretty boys are at risk of such judgement and ridicule, be they in or out, gay or only projected to be.

Jodie Foster is a very intelligent woman, and her slightly elliptical speech clearly showed her nerves. Yet she was personally political in words and actions. Her boys and her ex-partner were there, as was yes, Mel Gibson, whom she has remained loyal to. Maybe she is something more than just a word. More than gay. More than a movie star. Maybe she waited until her children would be mature enough to deal with any backlash? Maybe because she is single, the closet is not such a nice place to be anymore?

Maybe she has been telling all who are lesbian and gay who she is for years now, in words, actions, awards speeches, and in her choice of film roles. My 80 year old mother knew that Jodie Foster was gay for years based on those things. Maybe she strives for grace, and fell short as we all do.

And yes, as upsetting as it is to some, maybe being gay is only a part of an integrated, creative woman, who is a daughter, lover, actress, director and mother. The activists really do go a bit batshit. No one pleases the queer culture folk and no gay person wants to be one of them either, so stop quoting them only when it suits your own venom. Live YOUR life as a poster child or come out with your own frangrance. Jodie was a little too smart for the room, at the Golden Globes and some other rooms too.

I applaud her intelligence and I think that she got stuck in her head when she should have been speaking from her heart, but come on, in front of those folks in the audience and the millions watching, she was stellar in what she said regarding her history and privacy and was loyal and loving to those who matter the most to her. I know many people in high profile jobs who do not hold staff or board meetings or press conferences to clarify their sexuality. Neither do they hide. People can choose to be as private as they want and the world will permit.

I don't hear much love our here for Rosie, or Ellen or Elton or BEE, or George Michael or older gay folks. Gay people do eat their own and the ones who point and call self loathing are just lacking the mirror in front of them.

The only applauded out gay people on DL are Matt Bomer and Oscar Wilde. No doubt they both possess some bravery and worth, but well the context is a bit different. Jodie will be fine, and did no one a disservice. She did not pander to the room nor to the larger masses. She is not a symbol or a thing, but knows from Hinkley what is is to be made into one.

by Anonymousreply 23901/14/2013

r238, the problem with that little theory is that Jodie bucks all of that. Even you have to be honest and recognize that Jodie is one of the few who do not go looking for the press. That article can be placed on other celebs but not someone like Jodie.

by Anonymousreply 24001/14/2013

Beautiful r239. That post should be placed everywhere especially those ultra-critical articles.

Well done, sir. I never would have been able to put it so nicely.

by Anonymousreply 24101/14/2013

I vant to be alone.

by Anonymousreply 24201/14/2013

R230 The line "..Annie sure tastes good this year" says it all.

by Anonymousreply 24301/14/2013

Agreed. Excellent, realistic and respectful post, R239.

by Anonymousreply 24401/14/2013

Agreed, R239 is great.

by Anonymousreply 24501/14/2013

r243, an excellent line.

I don't know, I really got the vibe that a little affair happened. She talks about how Jodie was moving into her beautiful young woman phase and then she describes how crushed she is that they all went their separate ways after filming. It could totally be an intense friendship but with those two, I wouldn't be surprized if something happened.

by Anonymousreply 24601/14/2013

As usual, celebrities hit the heights of disingenuousness when they play the "I was already out" card.

by Anonymousreply 24701/14/2013

"She was making a joke."

Pretty lame "joke", I'd say.

She must have a bizarre sense of humor. She sent Mel Gibson some photos of her feet; it was described as an "odd practical joke."

Her close friendship with the horrible Mel Gibson and her defense of him is enough to make me think she's an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 24801/14/2013

[quote]Her close friendship with the horrible Mel Gibson and her defense of him is enough to make me think she's an asshole.

It's certainly enough to make me want a proper explanation for it, I would agree with you there.

She has never been asked any hard-hitting questions about it.

by Anonymousreply 24901/14/2013

No shit,[R207] that is what everyone in the community is working towards, but we aren't there yet, you twit, and it will take hard work and effort to get there. I love the delusional idiots who act like we're living in some glorious post-gay paradise. Until we achieve full equality under the law one of our strategies will have to discussing our personal lives so that the public can relate to us and ultimately recognize our civil rights. And call me an elder gay if you must, I am a 40 year old who came out in high school and is not impressed with pampered idiots tiptoeing out of the closet.

by Anonymousreply 25001/14/2013

R239 I don't think it's impossible or wrong for one to be happy that Jodie was brave enough to talk about with her sexuality publicly but also find the delivery of her message to have unfortunate qualities, which are being debated all across the blogosphere and forums today.

[quote]Gay people eat their own is right, and on DL all but innocuous pretty boys are at risk of such judgement and ridicule, be they in or out, gay or only projected to be.

You haven't been to the Henry Cavill or Colton Haynes threads, I gather.

[quote]I don't hear much love our here for Rosie, or Ellen or Elton or BEE, or George Michael or older gay folks.

We can respect and admire that someone is openly gay but we don't have to [italic]like[/italic] them because of it. It has nothing to do with age. Do all black people like all black public figures?

[quote]The only applauded out gay people on DL are Matt Bomer and Oscar Wilde.

I have no idea where you got this one.

by Anonymousreply 25101/14/2013

I think what she said was great. The fact that she is getting so much shade for such an awesome speech, makes me a little sad.

by Anonymousreply 25301/14/2013

"It's certainly enough to make me want a proper explanation for it, I would agree with you there."

I have no reason as to why Foster is friends the loathsome and disgusting Gibson.

But I also have no idea as to why Alec Baldwin or Jane Krakowski love and defend Tracy Morgan either.

I wouldn't call any of them assholes, because I don't know why they do the things they do.

by Anonymousreply 25501/14/2013

[quote]You haven't been to the Henry Cavill or Colton Haynes threads, I gather.

What goes on there?

by Anonymousreply 25601/14/2013

r254, but she was 3 when her mother pushed her into show business. she never had the choice.

by Anonymousreply 25701/14/2013

She didn't have a choice when she went to Yale?!

by Anonymousreply 25801/14/2013

Well, the positive thing is it's gotten a lot of people talking who perhaps hadn't talked much about the subject before.

by Anonymousreply 25901/14/2013

and what happened during yale?

by Anonymousreply 26001/14/2013

When your career is over, people do anything to boost it out...Bravo Jodie! But we all knew and don´t care.

by Anonymousreply 26101/14/2013

You've constantly been on these threads r261, obviously you care and since she's news all around the world, so do others.

And her career is over? She has a summer blockbuster coming out, a movie she's directing this fall, a rumored Ron Howard film and she just completed directing on a new tv show, all while developing a new show for Showtime.

But you stay in your lala-land Lana.

by Anonymousreply 26201/14/2013

R262, her peak has passed.

by Anonymousreply 26301/14/2013

I'm curious what other celebs had to say about J.F's sorta coming out speech....

Also the expression on J.Lawrence's face in the link from above is very cute. The others look horrified.

by Anonymousreply 26401/14/2013

Her peak has not passed in any shape or form. She was nominated for an Oscar last year, she has a major film coming out this year, and other projects, as has already been mentioned. Further she has been looking better than ever in recent years - including last night. I think she looks better now that when she was younger. And she has other projects- producing and directing.

by Anonymousreply 26501/14/2013

King Latifah, you're next

by Anonymousreply 26601/14/2013

Jodie was inated for an oscar last year????. What you talkin bout Willis

by Anonymousreply 26701/14/2013

The most joyless, self-loathing and self pitying speech ever. It was shameful. She wasn't coming out, she was attacking people for discussing the fact she is gay, and was also taking a potshot at the celebs who've come out. Only one word really fits...cunt.

by Anonymousreply 26801/14/2013

Nailed it R268!

by Anonymousreply 26901/14/2013

Admit it r268, no matter what she said, you are determained to stay be a bitter cunt.

by Anonymousreply 27001/14/2013

Victor Garber came out.. wow, who left the closet unlcocked?!

by Anonymousreply 27101/14/2013

Well said R268. She is truly loathsome.

by Anonymousreply 27201/14/2013

Jodie Lesbian didn't actually come out. What she really did was use the opportunity for a "oh, poor me, I don't have any privacy but yet I'm worth megamillions, wahhh!!"

Fuck her. I don't feel sorry for the bitch. You don't like fame, quit. You can restrict your "storytelling" to your brats at bedtime.

by Anonymousreply 27301/14/2013

I just watched her speech again. I didn't realize she'd gotten the Cecil B. DeMented award!

by Anonymousreply 27401/14/2013

Re Jodie and Mel: you all need to understand that Jodie is a scorpio.

If you're even remotely familiar with astrology, you'll know what this means.

Scorpios loathe being told what to do, and they hate society imposing expectations and values on the individual. That includes how you're supposed to behave when someone acts the way Mel has acted.

Her loyalty to him is very complex, and not likely to abate.

Her speech too, her intense need for privacy, her unwillingness to reveal herself, to actually say the word 'gay', her perceived bitterness, her struggle with society -- all that couldn't be more typical of a scorpio.

Look at Tilda Swinton, another scorpio, who lives with, and loves, both her husband and her boyfriend.

Scorpios NEED to be different. And they need to tear down the system. They do this cyclically, often destroying themselves first, before rising from the ashes once more.

Like Hillary Clinton... yet another scorpio.

She would NEVER leave Bill, regardless of how many times he's publicly humiliated himself and/or destroyed their collective work. Just like Jodie would never leave Mel, regardless of how many racist things he's said.

Scorpios are attracted to damaged souls, because their own lives are governed by destruction and rebirth.

How did Jodie end her speech last night? By destructing her old self, proclaiming the end of her career, however clumsily, and seeking a new beginning.

With a scorpio, it can never be less dramatic than that.

by Anonymousreply 27501/14/2013

the nut cases are coming out of every hole

by Anonymousreply 27601/14/2013

Oh God, the Streep Troll is making sense!

by Anonymousreply 27701/14/2013

When she twice won the Oscar, Jodie Foster thanked her mother "Brandy," but last night referred to her mother "Evelyn."

by Anonymousreply 27801/14/2013

[quote]Look at Tilda Swinton, another scorpio, who lives with, and loves, both her husband and her boyfriend.

Except, Swinton does not sound bitter or angry the way Foster has in the past decade. I think it has more to do with how one manage to realize one's potential in the world than the astrological sign. Swinton has an amazingly varied career, not limited to film alone. The fact is, Swinton chose not to depend on Hollywood (system) to be fulfilled as an artist. You can say the same about Julianne Moore, Sigourney Weaver, Jessie Lange... and many more. But it took Foster an artistic and financial failure with The Beaver to turn to TV, which is better for her limited directing skills anyway.

by Anonymousreply 27901/14/2013

"She was nominated for an Oscar last year"

What nomination was that? I don't recall Jodie Foster being nominated for an Oscar last year. In fact, I can't think of anything of note that she's done in recent memory.

by Anonymousreply 28001/14/2013

Ah, but we do not know Tilda's rising sign!

by Anonymousreply 28101/14/2013

What next? Helen Hunt swinging from the chandeliers proclaiming her lesbianism to the foreign press?!

by Anonymousreply 28201/14/2013

Oh, it was a Golden Globe, not Oscar

2012 Nominated Best Actress – Motion Picture Musical or Comedy Carnage - Golden Globe

2008 - Nominated Best Actress, Golden Globe for The Brave One

by Anonymousreply 28301/14/2013

That would be fun, R282, and it would show a relaxed side to her that we rarely see.

by Anonymousreply 28401/14/2013

[quote]Jodie Foster ‘comes out’ in opaque Golden Globes speech

by Anonymousreply 28501/14/2013

Not if you look more closely, r279.

Scorpios always have contempt for the things they reject. Always. They can't reject something and NOT feel contempt for it.

Swinton has often voiced her contempt for her aristocratic upbringing, and entirely destroyed that world, opting for the most bohemian lifestyle possible. From extreme to the other.

For a different sign, "dislike" would be enough. For a scorpio, it is very deep-seated contempt, and it is a driving force, for life.

Destruction and rebirth.

Joaquin Phoenix, Neil Young, Tilda Swinton, Jodie Foster, Julia Roberts - all scorpios, all doing the same thing:

at the height of commercial success they made a radical u-turn, condemning fame and fortune, and destroying their old self, often by disappearing from view, or doing things no-one else is interested in:

Neil Young after 'Harvest', with deliberately inaccessible work; Julia Roberts with the Lyle Lovett/Mary Reilly period; Phoenix retiring from acting; Foster following up SOTL with the weird yet personal Little Man Tate... the list goes on.

Scorpios LOATHE doing what is expected of them, especially when they become successful.

Always. In all aspects of life.

Foster, her trajectory, and her speech last night are EXHIBIT A of that.

by Anonymousreply 28601/14/2013

I've been in love with her since I was a baby-dyke. I would love to do a tongue-tornado on her sweet wet pussy and her pink little asshole. I would suck her box until her nose bleeds.

by Anonymousreply 28701/14/2013

I'm a Cancer but I have my Mars in Scorpio and Scorpio rising. Am I supposed to be crazy too? Wait. Don't answer that.

by Anonymousreply 28801/14/2013

[quote]Joaquin Phoenix, Neil Young, Tilda Swinton, Jodie Foster, Julia Roberts - all scorpios, all doing the same thing: at the height of commercial success they made a radical u-turn, condemning fame and fortune, and destroying their old self, often by disappearing from view, or doing things no-one else is interested in:

I don't need to look more closely. I simply do not agree with you.

Julia Roberts did not make any kind of radical u-turn. She just got too old to play the same part of America's sweetheart and people got tired of her.

Joaquin Phoenix had one big Oscar hit, but that in no way means he was ever going to be a big name in Hollywood.

Tilda Swinton's ambition was never to be a Hollywood A lister.

by Anonymousreply 28901/14/2013

Is Jody uncut?

by Anonymousreply 29001/14/2013

P.S.

The Streep troll (tm), I regret responding to your post. You are the only poster here that I really, truly cannot stand and I wish I had just ignored you.

I won't answer to your next post.

by Anonymousreply 29101/14/2013

R290, the more relevant question would be to ask about her sons. What would she and/or James Woods have decided?

by Anonymousreply 29201/14/2013

Look people. This is the definitive take on Jodie's coming out.

She was inarticulate, sloppy, contradictory, awkward,confusing, and probably tipsy or drunk. She made little sense, but in her ranting she confirmed her homosexuality.

But at the end of the day it is more than what 1/3 of the people in that room have had the balls to do.

In a few years the technicalities of her speech will have been washed away by the passage of time, but her acknowledging that she is gay will persist.

Now her job is to not quit and retire or whatever. There is an appetite for talent which she has. Nobody cares about her sexual orientation as even straights knew. People want to see good movies.

by Anonymousreply 29301/14/2013

[quote] Foster now joins celebrities like Matt Bomer, Sam Champion and Anderson Cooper who've publicly addressed their sexuality in low-key, almost matter-of-fact ways.

Huh?? I found that the very opposite of low key and matter of fact. She was all manic and her speech was rambling, long and felt kind of bizarre. It also didn't really do a great job of putting anything to rest because it was rather vague on most points (enough so that I like a lot of people got the apparently wrong impression that she was retiring from acting).

I would say that maybe she would have had better luck seeming together and to the point if she'd done this in writing except that I've read the Daily Beast article she wrote about Kristen Stewart. She was pretty self indulgent and spacey sounding in the Stewart article too.

by Anonymousreply 29401/14/2013

This headline says it all in a nutshell:

by Anonymousreply 29501/14/2013

LOL, R295 !

[quote]Foster hints at lesbianism in rambling speech

by Anonymousreply 29601/14/2013

You know what if someone has any doubt about Jodie admiting she is gay last night, they are not very bright or are purposely playing dumb to take the contrarian view.

by Anonymousreply 29701/14/2013

I agree, R297.

by Anonymousreply 29801/14/2013

r282 Helen Hunt is a lesbian? Hasn't she had a couple of husbands and several boyfriends?

by Anonymousreply 29901/14/2013

Doesn't matter, R299.

by Anonymousreply 30001/14/2013

I know she seemed to be trying to get that across along with a lot of other things, r297, but the way she was communicating wasn't very effective, coherent or clear. She sounded more than a little nutty and unhinged too, which doesn't really do her or us any favors. Oh well, I guess she is who she is.

by Anonymousreply 30101/14/2013

R239, you wonderful post mirrors or possibly exceeds Jodie's speech. I bet she would even like to read your words. Seriously. Thank you for being so eloquent.

One thing I haven't read on this thread (but I admittedly haven't read all of it yet): does anyone think that maybe Jodie's words at the Globes might, even indirectly, help some troubled gay young people from being in despair and commiting suicide? NOT trying to be dramatic here. But here is a famous person effectively coming out, in the most public of public forums: I can't help but think she will be a hero to some.

by Anonymousreply 30201/14/2013

not really r302...the speech was too confused and cloaked for kids to understand. (plus she is too obsolete now to appeal to kids....they barely know who she is)

by Anonymousreply 30301/14/2013

I'm usually not someone who goes for blue eyes, but I thought her eyes looked beautiful. I'd hit that.

by Anonymousreply 30401/14/2013

r299. Seriously??

Yes, she is gay.

Hank Azaria is as well.

by Anonymousreply 30501/14/2013

Well, anything is possible, r302, but I think more obvious inspirations for gay youths are LGBT celebrities who sound proud and happy. Jodie didn't come across as particularly proud and even at her age and with her legacy she still sounds angsty about dealing with her sexuality and kind of full of teenage type drama (e.g. lines like "I still am, and I want to be seen, to be understood deeply and to be not so very lonely") which doesn't present a very hopeful image.

However young people take it at least there are a variety of out public figures for them to choose as inspirations and role models nowadays. If Jodie doesn't appeal to them there are alternatives.

by Anonymousreply 30601/14/2013

Which sign has the best tasting shit? I want to eat it!

by Anonymousreply 30701/14/2013

She wasn't perfect about it, but she is a major star.

by Anonymousreply 30801/14/2013

I'm a cannibal.

by Anonymousreply 30901/14/2013

Can I eat your shit R309? We can watch Prime together!

by Anonymousreply 31001/14/2013

Thank you R302 .

I have only been posting on DL for a few months. I often feel I don't know how to play out here, and have a different sensibility than most.

Thanks to R241, r244, and r245 also.

by Anonymousreply 31101/14/2013

[quote]She wasn't perfect about it, but she is a major star.

WAS a major star.

by Anonymousreply 31201/14/2013

Joan Rivers on the Today show in 2007 joking about Jodie Foster the first time she "came out" back then...

by Anonymousreply 31301/14/2013

Yeah, we all went to this lame dinner where all the adults got wasted and we had to listen to a bunch of fucking lame speeches. Mom did her usual embarrassing shit over how much she misses Cyd. Over it.

I didn't even have time to Halo 4 when we got home.

by Anonymousreply 31401/14/2013

Well if it was all for nothing as she's too long past it, why all the bitching about how she did something that apparently doesn't matter?

There's no winning with some of you, is there? Thank God you lunatics are confined to keyboards. I'd hate to see you try to actually run something, though God knows you're not short on ideas.

by Anonymousreply 31501/14/2013

Thank you, R315. I was beginning to wonder if there was anyone else sane left on DL.

by Anonymousreply 31601/15/2013

Even though she defended the way she had done her 'coming out' in the past, she admitted she had been hiding out of fear when she said "I just have the sudden urge to say something I’ve never been able to air in public. A declaration that I’m a little nervous about."

She knew she was in the closet. Half of her is willing to admit it. Last night, it was probably the drunk half. But I ain't mad at her. Better late than never. Good for her.

by Anonymousreply 31701/15/2013

For R268:

by Anonymousreply 31801/15/2013

r319

Amen.

by Anonymousreply 32001/15/2013

I just chalk it up to the fact that Jodie Foster is 50 years old and from a different generation and different era in Hollywood. Better late than never, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 32101/15/2013

Ok, read through first four pages....

I'm with those who are just as confused as me about what the heck she was trying to say.

by Anonymousreply 32201/15/2013

SPECTACULAR article by Nathaniel Frank, Ph.D., who is also gay.

All of you bitching about her speech should read it.

by Anonymousreply 32301/15/2013

Astrology is crap, and you just make yourselves look stupid whenever you bring it up, btw.

by Anonymousreply 32401/15/2013

Has John Hinckley, Jr., issued a comment yet? To the extent that he is capable of self-reflection, what must he be thinking now about his impossible attempt to win Jodie's heart?

by Anonymousreply 32501/15/2013

You don't understand mental illness, do you r325?

by Anonymousreply 32601/15/2013

R326, as is often the case here, I think my post was mostly tongue-in-cheek, but I did preface my comment with the predicate that Hinckley could be reflective.

by Anonymousreply 32701/15/2013

boring

by Anonymousreply 32801/15/2013

Thanks R323

Excellent opinion piece. I love the last line: If there's one thing LGBT people should agree on, it's the importance of compassion, and of not bullying our own.

by Anonymousreply 32901/15/2013

Could LA Times have picked a less flattering picture?

by Anonymousreply 33001/15/2013

Maybe a DLer works there, R330.

by Anonymousreply 33101/15/2013

That's a great article that explains the spectrum of gay points of view on this question. Good find.

by Anonymousreply 33201/15/2013

Yeah let's applaud the drunk lady for saying absolutely nothing. Her speech was embarressing and I felt more pity for her kids than anything. Next time Jodie don't get hammered before making a speech or stop taking pills. It was so obvious that this woman was on something and not one person in the media brings it up. The speech was incoherent and made no sense.

by Anonymousreply 33301/15/2013

r333 cut and pasted the comment from huffington post - user ccopas

by Anonymousreply 33401/15/2013

Sad day when you're reduced to stealing your cuntiness.

by Anonymousreply 33501/15/2013

Agree R333. It was obvious.

by Anonymousreply 33601/15/2013

[quote]She sounded more than a little nutty and unhinged too, which doesn't really do her or us any favors. Oh well, I guess she is who she is.

You're kidding right? It doesn't do us any favors? She was obviously super nervous and the adrenaline probably didn't help. She says she's not one who likes to be in front of audiences/rooms full of people and entertain them. And before someone gets cunty about that, movie sets are different than live stage. She showed she's human.

by Anonymousreply 33701/15/2013

[quote]One thing I haven't read on this thread (but I admittedly haven't read all of it yet): does anyone think that maybe Jodie's words at the Globes might, even indirectly, help some troubled gay young people from being in despair and commiting suicide? NOT trying to be dramatic here. But here is a famous person effectively coming out, in the most public of public forums: I can't help but think she will be a hero to some.

Well I'm not suicidal but I am essentially closeted to some people at work, and all the criticism kind of makes me feel it's too much trouble to bother. I know it's probably a cop out but it's really sad that she's getting so much shit.

by Anonymousreply 33801/15/2013

[quote]Well if it was all for nothing as she's too long past it, why all the bitching about how she did something that apparently doesn't matter?

Exactly.

I guess the internet has been on full meltdown for two days now over someone who is a nobody.

by Anonymousreply 33901/15/2013

WHO?

by Anonymousreply 34001/15/2013

She should show some cojones and make a movie, win another Oscar, and make another speech.

by Anonymousreply 34101/15/2013

I have to say she rambled too long and I couldn't seem to get some of the quirky offbeat stuff she got into. She's kinda a strange bird. Good actress,though.

What I hated, though, was the long winded unfunny babble by Robert Downey before Foster came out. I couldn't stand it. Very irritating.

by Anonymousreply 34501/16/2013

Yes R345 Jodie has pretty much overshadowed everyone but rdj was awful. Smug bastard. I wish they'd gotten Hopkins or Neeson or even Holly Hunter. The globes preferred the bigger name.

by Anonymousreply 34601/16/2013

zzz

by Anonymousreply 34701/16/2013

Let's take another tack. How many of the stars who were at the Globes are in the closet? She knows. Mel does, too. So does RDJ. Don't you think some of her perceived bitterness is due to the fact that these same hypocrites are protected and many choose to beard and are rewarded for their deception, while she has always been expected to explain her life choices? Helen Hunt, Ryan Seacrest, DiCaprio, Jamie Fox, the list goes on. So she's weird, and socially awkward in settings where she has to deal with the phonies in showbiz, and she has a fear of public speaking because she doesn't have total control like she does when she's acting or directing. And she hangs out with the other misfits in Hollywood. But the thing is, these misfits are at least living their lives authentically, warts and all. And she may just admire that. And take comfort in the notion that people WILL accept you if you just own who you are. And if they don't, well, fuck em.

by Anonymousreply 34801/16/2013

don;t forget Hugh JAckman, who got up on stage right after her and proceeded to laud his dear wife.

He was shook-up.

by Anonymousreply 34901/16/2013

this is kind of illuminating.

by Anonymousreply 35001/16/2013

Interesting perspective R348, it's totally on the mark.

R349, it was pretty ironic that Jackman followed her and who seriously overdid it with his wife.

What was funny is 2 rumored deep closet cases and (Jackman/Renner)and 1 maybe glass closeted lesbian (Jessica Chastain) followed her speech. Must've been amusing for those in the news.

by Anonymousreply 35101/16/2013

She's not 50. She's 53 if she's a day.

by Anonymousreply 35201/16/2013

Maybe 54.

by Anonymousreply 35301/16/2013

Good point. She's at least 3 years older than me and I am pushing 50.

by Anonymousreply 35401/16/2013

And I suppose in her Coppertone commercial she wasn't actually 3 years old but 6 or 7?

And who knew the Streep troll was into astrology. I kinda love ST when he's not going on and on about Meryl.

by Anonymousreply 35501/16/2013

astrology is BUNK!

by Anonymousreply 35601/16/2013

RDJ and his beard-wife were an odd choice for her coming out table, maybe the Globes people chose him. Jackman was obviously freaked out and over-compensating to a fare thee well.

However stumbling or rambling or half-baked her speech was, Jodie Foster did come out. The only out movie star of comparable stature that I can think of is Rock Hudson and his situation was something else entirely.

It's no use nit-picking it to death, she did what no other A list movie star has ever done. Clearly she was afraid, ambivalent and sometimes hostile but she did it anyway. Good for her.

by Anonymousreply 35701/16/2013

She probably said it as a joke, "I'll come out when they give me a lifetime achievement award!" And then they did!

by Anonymousreply 35801/16/2013

I heard she was a lesbian by 1980 so I think she was a brave one back then. Why she stopped being brave, I don't know. Cydney, probably.

by Anonymousreply 35901/16/2013

She's always been about my age and I'm 51, so she's not far off the mark.

by Anonymousreply 36101/16/2013

What? People are seriously questioning her age now? Is that all that's left now?

by Anonymousreply 36201/16/2013

Oh, for fuck's sake, she's 50, idiots. Get a grip.

by Anonymousreply 36301/17/2013

wow!

by Anonymousreply 36401/17/2013

Did she really date that theatre director Tina Landua or was that just a rumour?

by Anonymousreply 36501/17/2013

Has David Ehrenstein commented? He's banned from her media events for her films, so he's not her biggest fan.

by Anonymousreply 36601/17/2013

Yes R365, it's true. There was a huge juicy thread here about 3 or 4 years ago about that.

[quote]He's banned from her media events for her films, so he's not her biggest fan.

If he's banned, I'd wager the feeling is mutual. He's terrible overall. He posts on the MUBI forum sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 36701/17/2013

Daily Mail had an article commenting on Foster's ex's looks in the most unflattering of ways.

by Anonymousreply 36801/17/2013

link, r368.

by Anonymousreply 36901/17/2013

JODY FOSTER IS COOOOOOOOOOL AND BRILLIANT

by Anonymousreply 37001/17/2013

JODIE FOSTER IS COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

AND

BRILLIANT

by Anonymousreply 37101/17/2013

[quote]link, [R368].

I read it yesterday. I'm sure it's still up.

by Anonymousreply 37201/17/2013

You bitches wouldn't be happy if Jodie pulled Kristen Stewart up on stage, hiked Kristen's skirt and ate her out for the world and the HOllywood Foreign Press to see.

Jodie is gay enough! stop it!

by Anonymousreply 37301/17/2013

Only stupid or mean people hate Jodie.

Jodie is a positive person.

by Anonymousreply 37401/17/2013

R373, I think Jodie would enjoy that more that the majority of us here would.

by Anonymousreply 37501/17/2013

r373 and r375 you're both crass and lame.

by Anonymousreply 37601/17/2013

Here's a weird thought--if Ronni Chasen was still alive I bet Jodie would date her! Ronni would be a perfect candidate--mature, older, handsome lesbian who is no-nonsense in the streets but a kindly tutor in the bedroom.

I wonder if Jodie HAD seen her socially or even romatically--wow--that would explain the Topomax blooper-talk at the Golden Globes.

AND we must remember that Jodie was involved with Whitney Houston--she has to still be grieving over that!

So, to put this most succinctly, Jodie is grieving both Whitney and Ronni and is a little overwhelmed at this time.

Streep Troll, I call on you--is this a bad time for Scorpios?

by Anonymousreply 37801/17/2013

[quote]R373, I think Jodie would enjoy that more that the majority of us here would.

Speak for yourself, arsehole!

by Anonymousreply 37901/17/2013

Jodie Foster OLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

by Anonymousreply 38001/17/2013

Interesting observation about her being a bottom!

I would have assumed top based on her know it all past persona in the media.

by Anonymousreply 38101/17/2013

No way is she a bottom, she is way too controlling.

by Anonymousreply 38201/17/2013

Oh dear, The bossy-in-public ones are always the bottoms in the bedroom. We here at the DL even have a term for it, the "Bossy Bottom."

And I'm sure the Streep Troll has much to add about how a Scorpio woman is a controlling bossy bitch on the streets but a tearful, quivering virgin in the sheets.

by Anonymousreply 38301/18/2013

Oh please.

by Anonymousreply 38501/18/2013

Eh, Jodie's the one who got pregnant. She's definitely the bottom.

by Anonymousreply 38601/18/2013

Stop speculating about my privacy!! I forbid it!

by Anonymousreply 38701/18/2013

I thought lesbians didn't have distinctions like gay men. And were truly "versatile".

I think the reason Jodie had to carry the children was because Cydney was already too old. Jodie was what in her late 30s when she had her first one? Cydney is like 10 years older.

by Anonymousreply 38801/18/2013

More Tina Landau/ Jodie info please.

by Anonymousreply 38901/18/2013

R377 post is silly but cutting up that silly post, Jodie is no way just a bottom. Looking at her rumored past girlfriends, I see some possibility of both.

Someone like Green Gum, Gina Schock, Tina L, I can see being tops to her.

Cydney, Kinski, McGillis, And the other actresses flings, I can see Jodie being both top and bottom.

That's my scientific observation.

by Anonymousreply 39001/18/2013

She may be out (sort of) but she sure as hell ain't proud. She's angry, bitter and pissed off. No out and proud lesbian, she.

by Anonymousreply 39201/18/2013

Enough with the (sort of) shit. She's out. She's on newspapers around the world as gay. That was her point, you don't need to say it to people who don't you know.

She's out and proud, she just resents assholes who try to define what is out by their measuring stick. This gay police is overboard.

by Anonymousreply 39301/18/2013

[quote] She's out and proud

Where do you get the proud bit, R393?

by Anonymousreply 39401/18/2013

The part where she has always lived her life and never hid it r394.

by Anonymousreply 39501/18/2013

I've never really gotten the proud part. I recognize it's opposite of shame but I'm can't say I'm proud to be gay, even though I'm not ashamed. It hasn't gifted me with any particular superiority, unless giving head counts. Which really isn't fit conversation at most dinner tables.

by Anonymousreply 39601/18/2013

r383, it's not quite as facile as that. But yes, some scorpios get off on that dichotomy.

Scorpio is the most sexual sign in the zodiac, and they are INTENSE in bed. Intense.

So... yes, some of the bossy-on-the-streets scorpios are quivering bottoms in bed; others are bossy on the streets and bossy in bed.

Never anything in between. That's for sure.

by Anonymousreply 39801/18/2013

She's not bisexual, r397.

Thanks for playing, though.

by Anonymousreply 39901/18/2013

r378, scorpios are good at dealing with death, i.e. facing the reality of it.

Mourning a departed loved one usually doesn't derail them.

So... I'm afraid I can't support your thesis there. Sorry.

I really think she was overwhelmed by more obvious things - the spotlight, and most of all, having to reveal herself.

Scorpios loaaaaathe that. So much. They loathe it from a deep, dark place within themselves. All mechanisms of defence are gone, swept away.

This is very difficult for a scorpio, hence her sounding angry, bitter and resentful.

by Anonymousreply 40001/18/2013

I love you Streep Troll(tm)!

I was just going to chime in that Scorpios are supposed to be total sex fiends.

by Anonymousreply 40101/18/2013

But Streep Troll, if scorpios hate revealing themselves then why would she blabbing about wanting to be understood deeply?

by Anonymousreply 40201/19/2013

oh dear god.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

by Anonymousreply 40401/19/2013

Well then she must be in sheer agony as we speak.

by Anonymousreply 40501/19/2013

I'm sure she is, r405.

by Anonymousreply 40601/19/2013

Is anyone else having technical problems on DL? Only my watched threads are loading. No new threads are appearing at all.

by Anonymousreply 40701/19/2013

Same here, r407.

by Anonymousreply 40801/19/2013

Yes for me too. I it sometimes works to go to "back to threadlist" at the top of the page, but even that's pretty iffy.

by Anonymousreply 40901/19/2013

Thanks, R408. I hope DL wasn't hacked or something. I found this old thread called "DL Technical Problems" so others can report as well.

It's weird that we can continue posting, but the list of threads won't come up, and the thread watcher is in constant sleep mode until I refresh.

by Anonymousreply 41001/19/2013

Same thing is happening to me. Weird.

by Anonymousreply 41101/19/2013

I can't believe they charge for this site.

by Anonymousreply 41201/19/2013

Looks like it's back now.

by Anonymousreply 41301/19/2013

Who wouldn't like her?

by Anonymousreply 41401/29/2013

A little late to this convo here, but i'm with those who say Jodie is Bi. She's MOSTLY gay, but not totally. She's always dated butch women, is definitely the bottom, and I wouldn't be surprised if twenty years from now her and Gibson end up together. They very well could be fucking now. Jodie may have slept with a million women, but she's also known to have had several flings with men; Scott Baio, Julian Sands, and more. I heard from a friend who works in French cinema that she was madly in love with a french actor back in the 80s. Maybe the reason she never wanted to come out is that she's not completely gay, and more somewhere on the kinsey that would suggest being closer to Bi, and she just doesn't want to have to explain it to everybody. Her last girlfriend was the butchiest we've seen yet. Who knows, we may just end up seeing her with a man next. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

by Anonymousreply 41502/07/2013

Jodie Foster is mostly lesbian, however everyone hides a bi side in them, alright...

In addition, i doubt Jodie would want to share her everyday life with a man, except for her sons

Jodie is a Scorpio so...she is unpredictable but still she is...a lesbian. No matter if she ends up with a woman or not, Jodie will always have this strong affection and need for female company.

by Anonymousreply 41602/07/2013

Please r415, Jodie Foster is gay gay gay.

by Anonymousreply 41702/07/2013

Jodie Foster has a really thin upper lip. It always seems like she is making a tight-lipped face even though she's not. I noticed it while watching "Contact" and it seems to have gotten worse now seeing it in "The Beaver". I'm really surprised she would get a little bit of cologen put in to give it more fullness.

by Anonymousreply 41802/20/2013

Why is that women's gayness is always challenged by dumbfucks a là r415 ?

Jodie Foster is GAY, you need to realize that there are GAY WOMEN out there.

Ending up with Mel Gibson...

"She's MOSTLY gay, but not totally."

that's the most stupid and offensive post ive read in here in a while. you stupid lesbian-hating motherfucker.

by Anonymousreply 41902/20/2013

Jodie Foster and her sister Connie who doubled for her during the more explicit scenes in Taxi Driver

by Anonymousreply 42003/03/2013

r415, you're a strange egg.

by Anonymousreply 42103/03/2013

tr

by Anonymousreply 42204/11/2013

She still is closeted

by Anonymousreply 42301/29/2015
Need more help? Click Here.