Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Coleslaw

I made homemade coleslaw and it came out horribly. I don't know what I did wrong.

Cabbage, carrots, golden raisins, lemon, onion, mayo, sugar, vinegar, and Old Bay.

Someone said I didn't put enough mayo in it, but I hate overly mayonaised salads.

by Anonymousreply 8407/29/2013

Who fucking cares?

by Anonymousreply 101/13/2013

One mistake I see; raisins.

I like them, but when they are in a moist setting they get kind of gross.

by Anonymousreply 201/13/2013

Did you use Duke's OP?

by Anonymousreply 301/13/2013

Where you making this for adults? No one wants coleslaw with raisins in it.

Use a good savoy cabbage. Once it is shredded, add salt and let it sit for an hour . Then squeeze some of the liquid out. Then proceed.

No raisins. Mayo (better if you've made the mayo yourself), onion, carrot. A touch of lemon juice. Vinegar. A touch of sugar. Some Dijon mustard. Ground pepper. Adjust salt.

Don't crap it up with anything else. Let sit for a few hours before serving.

by Anonymousreply 401/13/2013

Good point r4, squeeze out the excess water! Very important.

by Anonymousreply 501/13/2013

I've heard great things about Ina Garten's blue cheese coleslaw and I plan to try it.

by Anonymousreply 601/13/2013

Raisins ruin [italic]everything[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 701/13/2013

OP you're putting too much junk in there. Shred the cabbage (about 3 or so cups) coarsely with a sharp knife into small pieces, don't use the grater. Next use about a scant fourth cup of mayo or Miracle Whip if you want, about a tablespoon of sugar or less to taste and maybe 2 tablespoons of vinegar, white or cider and mix by shaking it in a Mason jar with lid or something that will mix it thoroughly. Some add a tablespoon or so of milk to the dressing it's up to you as long as it is not runny and sticks to the cabbage. Toss the dressing with the cabbage. If desired add a little salt and pepper to taste. You seem to be complicating something that should be quite simple. Some people add a bit of shredded carrot or a clove of very thinly sliced garlic to the mix which is OK. I have had it with raisins and I agree that adding raisins makes an inferior cole slaw.

by Anonymousreply 801/13/2013

Raisins in coleslaw - barf!

by Anonymousreply 901/13/2013

PS, forget the lemon and onion--vinegar was enough sour taste without adding lemon--it really does sound like you made a mess but if at first you don't succeed, try, try again.

by Anonymousreply 1001/13/2013

Hey Chef boy

Love your sig -- you said doo doo!

Hee!

by Anonymousreply 1101/13/2013

Celery seeds

by Anonymousreply 1201/13/2013

Finely shred (not grate) a large cabbage. place in a colander, toss with tablespoon of salt and 1/2 cup of sugar. Let sit in sink overnight to drip out excess fluid. Put in bowl, add 1-2 teaspoons of celery seed, 1 tablespoon of onion powder and 1/2 cup of vinegar. Then add maybe a cup of mayo... more or less to taste. Adjust sugar, salt to taste. If you want to lighten it up, use Italian dressing instead of mayo.

by Anonymousreply 1301/13/2013

Make pink cole slaw by adding a grated raw beet to the salad. Dressing 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar and 1/2 cup of sugar adding 1 cup of mayo and 1 cup of sour cream

by Anonymousreply 1401/13/2013

CIDER vinegar makes all the difference. And yes, ditch the raisins.

by Anonymousreply 1501/13/2013

Food

Food

Food

Food

Food

Food

Food

Food

by Anonymousreply 1601/13/2013

I don't like mayo in anything.

I make a vinegar-based coleslaw, which is much better.

And, yet, no raisins. They look like rabbit turds.

by Anonymousreply 1801/13/2013

It never fails, some queens screams, 'make your own mayo'. Guess what bitch, I'm not making my own mayo. It's a lot of time and effort for nothing. There are several great brands at the market. I'm so tired of, make your own mayo, make your own mayo, make your own mayo. You make your own mayo, the rest of us have lives and other things to do with our time. Make your own mayo, make your own mayo, make your own may. Wah. Wah. Wah.

by Anonymousreply 1901/13/2013

Raisins are fucking disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 2001/13/2013

R19: The first step to making your own mayo is making your own water. Start with two parts hydrogen and one part oxygen.

by Anonymousreply 2101/13/2013

[quote] I make a vinegar-based coleslaw, which is much better.

In general I like mayo but this is the type of slaw I prefer

by Anonymousreply 2201/13/2013

Did anyone even say "make your own mayo"?

Either way I kinda love, r19.

by Anonymousreply 2301/13/2013

Old Bay in cole sounds disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 2401/13/2013

I like mine with a spicy peanut sauce, and NO fucking raisins.

by Anonymousreply 2501/13/2013

NO CARROTS EVER!!!

by Anonymousreply 2601/13/2013

Agree with R24.

by Anonymousreply 2701/13/2013

My mother used to put a finely chopped apple into her cole slaw. It was wonderful. She only made enough for one meal, though, so I don't know what would happen if the apple sat around in the cole slaw. Oh, and she made it with Miracle Whip.

I made an Asian-style cole slaw using toasted sesame oil and rice vinegar. It was also very good.

by Anonymousreply 2801/13/2013

If you must add carrot or raisins to cole slaw add one or the other as both are sweet items not both. And I agree that if you want to choose and have to add them, choose carrot first. Raisins, although they are fine in other things, especially baked items, don't really belong in cole slaw and I'm thinking that someone once added them just so fuckin' kids would eat their cabbage or something and it became a more general idea through the years. And yes, Old Bay sounds completely out of place in cole slaw--isn't that some sort of seafood seasoning? If you have to add anything like that to cole slaw a light dusting of paprika on top will more than suffice.

by Anonymousreply 2901/13/2013

[quote]Oh, and she made it with Miracle Whip.

So, in other words, your mother was a shitty cook.

by Anonymousreply 3001/13/2013

I like the Texas slaw with peanuts (but not too much on the spice.)

by Anonymousreply 3101/13/2013

Cider vinegar, cream instead of mayo. No lemon.

by Anonymousreply 3201/13/2013

Lemon AND vinegar (the type matters greatly) don't work, often. Old Bay is silly. Bad commercial mayo in any quantity will hurt; yes, of course you should make your own to ensure the quality your deserve, but lazy people tend to get nasty about it, even though they either have crappy palates (You are what you eat.) or they are always complaining about how things taste without being interested in how to make things better. Raisin don't belong unless you're a woman and you have hairy legs. Carrots also are unnecessary - they tend to add texture that is unhelpful.

I grew up with about five different slaws (lost of relatives with strong feelings on the subject) and my favorite remains one grandmother's, which salted and dried the medium-chopped cabbage (allowing for some longer pieces, but thin) in a preliminary step, and then relied on onion, salt, pepper and white vinegar (nothing fancy or flavored). She'd add a tiny amount of white sugar, she said not to sweeten but because it rounded out the salt. Often celery seed or caraway, but she'd hold it out if kids didn't want it. And some time was needed. She insisted that you don't want it wet and you want it "fresh," but that the salty vinegar needed time, as much for the onion as for the cabbage. It WAS bracing, but light and great with everything around it. Plents of black pepper. Simple can be good.

Pulverized mush loaded with cheap mayo/Miracle Whip is the worst.

Raisins, indeed. MAYBE celery, if you're feeling kinky.

by Anonymousreply 3301/13/2013

CLASSIC COLESLAWt

1 head cabbage small

2 carrots small

2 tablespoon fresh parsley finely chopped

2 each scallions (optional) finely chopped

Celery seed sprinkling, light

Salt sprinkling, to taste

Black pepper grindings, to taste

1 teaspoons granulated sugar

2 tablespoon cider vinegar

6 tablespoons (3/8 cups) mayonnaise

4 tablespoons (1/4 cups) half and half

by Anonymousreply 3401/13/2013

Sounds so good, R6

by Anonymousreply 3501/13/2013

I don't like ANY cabbage in my cole slaw PERIOD!

I have spoken

by Anonymousreply 3601/13/2013

I hope R33 dies in a cole slaw fire.

by Anonymousreply 3701/13/2013

Have I shared my recipe for "Coal Slaw"?

Yum!

by Anonymousreply 3801/13/2013

I like mine with sesame sauce, chipotle, corn syrup and Greek yogurt instead of mayonnaise and i serve it with a side of garlic mashed potatoes whenever I make my tortilla-crusted tilapa or Thai barbecue.

by Anonymousreply 3901/13/2013

Corn syrup?

by Anonymousreply 4001/13/2013

I am fond of raisins (oatmeal raisin cookies, raisin bread, etc.), but in cole slaw that sounds a bit much.

by Anonymousreply 4101/13/2013

I lurves me some slaw. On top of a turkey swiss hoagie.

by Anonymousreply 4201/13/2013

Re: Make your own mayo.

Hand whipped mayo takes exactly 5 minutes to make. I've never made it in a food processor, but I imagine it would take seconds.

Industrial made mayo cannot compare with it. Fresh eggs. Good oil. There is no comparison.

by Anonymousreply 4301/13/2013

That sounds delicious R39.

by Anonymousreply 4401/13/2013

OP, your recipe is a bit busy. You don't need sugar because there's enough in the carrots and vinegar. Also, ditch the raisins.

It also will taste better if you make the slaw the night before. Someow, the flavors taste much better after sitting in the fridge for a few hours.

by Anonymousreply 4501/13/2013

Corn syrup has a few limited uses in home cooking (some cake frostings) but does not belong in coleslaw.

by Anonymousreply 4601/13/2013

1/2 cup golden raisins

1/2 teaspoon celery seeds

1 cup mayonnaise

1/2 cup sour cream

2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar

1 head savoy cabbage, shredded or sliced thin

1 cup carrots, shredded (about 4 small or 2 medium carrots)

2 Granny Smith apples, cored and shredded Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Yummers!

by Anonymousreply 4801/13/2013

Add black pepper to mayonnaise until gray. Stir in cabbage busted up with a brick. Taste, adjust seasonings, holler at LaMont, and serve.

by Anonymousreply 4901/13/2013

LaMont was kind of sexy.

by Anonymousreply 5001/13/2013

R47 -- egg salad gets a heapin' helpin' of curry powder from me, along with some chutney, if available.

by Anonymousreply 5101/13/2013

Where did you get this recipe, Paula Deen?

by Anonymousreply 5201/14/2013

WELL, OKEY DOKEY, THEN, [R19]. Feel better now!? Psssssst: Make.Your.Own.Mayo!

by Anonymousreply 5301/14/2013

I can't believe I'm sitting here reading a thread about coleslaw. FML

by Anonymousreply 5401/14/2013

always add two sticks of butter

by Anonymousreply 5501/14/2013

I make it all the time ( however I cheat a wee bit and buy a bag of chopped up coleslaw with cabbage and carrots in it). But, I add chopped red bell pepper, chopped walnuts, and dried cherries. I make my dressing with grape seed oil and balsamic vinegar and a dab of Dijon mustard, salt and pepper. It's delish. Really and truly.

by Anonymousreply 5601/14/2013

R6, the blue cheese version is stupendous. What are you waiting for? Once you've tried it, you'll rue every day of your life that's passed without this on your plate.

by Anonymousreply 5701/15/2013

Using Old Bay in Coleslaw is just wrong. It would be like eating very watery crab cakes. Please ditch the raisins too. Your recipe would only work for bulimics.

by Anonymousreply 5801/15/2013

R1 nails it.

by Anonymousreply 5901/15/2013

MAKE YOUR OWN MAYO!!

by Anonymousreply 6001/15/2013

I would like to read more posts on the loathing of raisins. Thank you ever so.

by Anonymousreply 6101/15/2013

R61,

Raisins looks like mummified Shiba Inu testes.

by Anonymousreply 6201/15/2013

R17 is the only one bringing up faeces that I can see.

by Anonymousreply 6301/15/2013

r62 et al - I'm strangely terrified about making my own mayo.

Do you have a good recipe?

by Anonymousreply 6401/15/2013

Peanuts! Peanuts!

by Anonymousreply 6501/15/2013

Today I decided to make angel food cake, with baking powder, sugar, pig entrails, balsamic vinegar and spleen. My friend tod me it's supposed to have flour, but I think flour is gross. I thought it was fine, but my dinner guests treated it the same way they treated sea nettle shortcake I served as a main course.

by Anonymousreply 6601/15/2013

R66 that was funny.

by Anonymousreply 6701/16/2013

Has anyone said sugar?

All restaurants put tons of sugar in coleslaw, so fat people will learn to eat salads.

by Anonymousreply 6801/16/2013

R66 is Letitia Cropley.

by Anonymousreply 6901/16/2013

Hon, you don't put all that shit in coleslaw. All you do is grind up carrots, green cabbage and purple cabbage. Add a little mayo, then add MILK.

You don't put onions and raisins in it and skip using the Old Bay.

by Anonymousreply 7001/16/2013

classic french carrot salad: 2C grated carrots, 2 chopped eggs, 1/4C chopped scallions and wait for it......1/4C raisins! Toss with your favorite homemade moutard vinegrette. Voila!

by Anonymousreply 7101/16/2013

O fuck all ye who shun raisins.

by Anonymousreply 7201/16/2013

I can't answer the question OP because I find the idea of raisins or sugar in coleslaw unappetizing and the idea of both of them revolting. If you agree with me, you never would have made that recipe to begin with. So I can't tell you why your raisin sugar coleslaw turned out not to be up to other raisin sugar coleslaws.

by Anonymousreply 7301/16/2013

Yeah, I too hate raisins in anything where they semi-rehydrate and you end up eating a mushy half-wilted stale grape. Oatmeal especially.

Save the raisins for trail mix or other dried-snack items.

by Anonymousreply 7401/16/2013

I just had coleslaw with cashews in it. It was different, but tres interesting.

by Anonymousreply 7507/26/2013

Should've run the mayo through your rectum first.

by Anonymousreply 7607/26/2013

Cabbage, carrots, and a jar of T.Marzettis cole slaw dressing found in the refrigerated section.. Dur...

by Anonymousreply 7707/26/2013

Coleslaw comes directly from Satan's ass. How can anyone eat that stuff?

by Anonymousreply 7807/27/2013

OP, you lost me at raisins, onions and lemon

by Anonymousreply 7907/27/2013

Note that this one uses some yoghurt to cut back on mayo

Macaroni Salad NY Deli Style

Macaroni Salad Deli Style 1 ½ cups mayo 1 cup 8oz plain yogurt 1 lb elbow macaroni ¼ cup cider or white vinegar 2 tablespoons mustard 2 tablespoons sugar 1 tsp salt ½ tsp ground black pepper 1 ½ cups sliced celery 1 ½ cups chopped sweet red or green pepper 1 cup coarsely shredded carrots or thinly sliced radishes ½ cup sliced green onion ¼ cup fresh parsley Cook pasta according to package directions Rinse with cold water to cool quickly; drain well In large bowl stir together mayonnaise, yogurt, vinegar, mustard, sugar, salt and pepper. Stir in cooled pasta and remaining ingredients. Cover; refrigerate.

by Anonymousreply 8007/29/2013

Raisins don't really belong in cole slaw.

by Anonymousreply 8107/29/2013

r64 It's a snap to make in a food processor, a blender will work in a pinch. Recipes are easily gotten online. It's just egg yolks; oil;seasonings. Couldn't be simpler.

by Anonymousreply 8207/29/2013

Raisins are just wrong. Especially 6 month old ones.

How's the diet going, R16?

by Anonymousreply 8307/29/2013

Agreed R73, there is no place for sugar in coleslaw. Who the fuck thought that putting sugar with cabbage was a good idea?

Also - no raisins. Just no. Raisins have their place, usually with cinnamon, but not in coleslaw. In fact, not in any salad at all. It's some kind of 1970s throwback to put raisins in salads. I know that matches with the caftans and earrings but really, there is a time to let go, along with the lime Jello salad.

Shredded white cabbage (I prefer white or red, but whatever type you like). Thinly sliced onions (again, red or white is fine for me), grated carrots, mayonnaise (a couple of tablespoons), cider vinegar (a tablespoon or thereabouts). Mix it all together.

Whatever amounts of the vegetables you like, it really doesn't matter. As long as the mayo/cider vinegar dressing coats everything but doesn't swamp it. Don't put any sugar in it. Not even a little bit. Sugar has no business with cabbage.

Have I said no sugar? Unless you're Honey Boo Boo you shouldn't be putting it in salad.

by Anonymousreply 8407/29/2013
Need more help? Click Here.