Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Protest against gay marriage: Huge crowds expected in Paris

Strongly backed by the Catholic hierarchy, lay activists have mobilized a hybrid coalition of church-going families, political conservatives, Muslims, evangelicals and even homosexuals opposed to gay marriage for the show of force.

by Anonymousreply 4701/18/2013

What do public opinion polls say about gay marriage in France?

by Anonymousreply 101/13/2013

Support is slipping. As the article said, at one time last year, support was nearing 70 percent. Support now has slipped below 55 percent in some polls. The antigay side really is pulling out all stops and flooding the media with event after event. The progay side had one rally, but they seem so unorganized, lethargic, and not politically adept. Hollande is a disaster, lackluster. The fact that the government had to compromise and renege on giving samesex couples artificial insemination rights is a sign the antigay is flexing. The progay better wake up fast.

by Anonymousreply 201/13/2013

That's the way to do it bitches! No better way to divert attention from their high divorce rate than to protest people actually wanting to get married. On another note, I do believe same-sex marriage is supported by somewhere around 60%; however the Frenches are less enthused over the prospect of gays adopting.

by Anonymousreply 301/13/2013

Anyone involved in a protest against allowing other citizens the SAME EXACT RIGHTS THEY TAKE FOR GRANTED should be ashamed of themselves.

And any churches involved should lose any tax-exempt status.

by Anonymousreply 401/13/2013

Support for gay nuptials has slipped about 10 points to under 55 percent and fewer than half the French now want gays to have adoption rights.

by Anonymousreply 501/13/2013

Oh yes, Europe is SO culturally evolved.

by Anonymousreply 601/13/2013

Who are the 2 blondes in the picture?

by Anonymousreply 701/13/2013

I kept waiting for the marriage equality side to get its act together. That antigay folks are relentless, marching in droves shine the equality side stems asleep. Same thing in the UK, where the antigay side can seized press coverage.

by Anonymousreply 801/13/2013

Why are the gays in France and the UK so fucking lazy??? They need to get out there and doing their own protesting. What a bunch of doormats.

by Anonymousreply 901/13/2013

and this is the oppositions "Porte-Parole" FRIGIDE Barjot

by Anonymousreply 1001/13/2013

Actually, the gay marriage protesters are scarier than gay marriage could ever be.

by Anonymousreply 1101/13/2013

The "huge" crowd of about 70 000 people, OP? Idiot.

[quote]Why are the gays in France and the UK so fucking lazy??? They need to get out there and doing their own protesting. What a bunch of doormats.

Idiot #2: a) Nobody in the world protest -and win- better than the French b) They did more than you yankees ever could and ever will: elect someone who campaigned for and IS making equal rights a reality, mathematically since the left owns the majority of seats everywhere.

There is no "debate". The battle's over, they won in May in the voting booths.

I suggest YOU take the streets and protest against the middle age way the homos are treated your side of the Atlantic. You're the ones who need to.

by Anonymousreply 1201/13/2013

Hopefully the strikes in Mali will divert some the huge media attention away from the anti-marriage backers. The media here seems so biased towards them.

by Anonymousreply 1301/13/2013

This is all because too many males there are uncut. People think it's gross.

by Anonymousreply 1401/13/2013

R12 = Lazy French gay who doesn't fight for gay rights.

by Anonymousreply 1501/13/2013

(rolling eyes at the ignorant moron that is R14)

by Anonymousreply 1601/13/2013

[quote]Why are the gays in France and the UK so fucking lazy??? They need to get out there and doing their own protesting. What a bunch of doormats.

You mean, like we do it here in the US?

*rolls eyes*

by Anonymousreply 1701/13/2013

r15 Gay rights and marriage advocates had a huge march weeks ago and have been protesting aggressively as long as activists have in the US.

Are you too lazy to read a paper or do a search?

Or are you one of the lazy gays in America in one of those stupid states where it's legal to discriminate against you across the board?

by Anonymousreply 1801/13/2013

Don't straight people have better things to do with their weekends?

by Anonymousreply 1901/13/2013

There is a march (manifestation) on the 19th the following sunday for the supporters of the bill. I walked in the previous march in December and there were thousands and thousands of people.

by Anonymousreply 2001/13/2013

I bet that those queens that went to the protest were just trying to score some muslim cock

by Anonymousreply 2201/13/2013

France is an example that public opinion can be swayed by whomever yells loudest and most. You have to hand it to them, the antigay side in the UK and France has their stuff together. They are y ited, vocal, persistent., zealous, media-savvy, and protesting at every turn. They are eroding Progay support, especially in France, and already the French government has compromised. Victory goes to the one who works hardest.

by Anonymousreply 2301/13/2013

R11, you are right that the media are giving the antigay side in France a lot of coverage. They are getting huge press globally for their efforts in France and the UK. It seems like the equality sude's voiced is so timid and front. Also, in the US, you have lots of vocal Christian and Jewish leaders speaking up for equality, but in France and the UK, the only religious voices we hear are antigay. Are there proequality religious leaders in France and the UK?

by Anonymousreply 2401/13/2013

[quote]in the US, you have lots of vocal Christian and Jewish leaders speaking up for equality,

They are a miniscule fraction compared to the religious leaders who speak out against marriage equality in the US.

by Anonymousreply 2501/13/2013

[quote]You guys need to get your protest act together.

you need to quit exaggerating.

by Anonymousreply 2601/13/2013

I don´t understand this. I thought France was very secular

by Anonymousreply 2701/13/2013

Isn't it heartwarming to see such a display of Christian - Muslim unity? Even centuries-old enemies can agree on hating the gays.

by Anonymousreply 2801/13/2013

There are plenty of pro equality clergy in the UK including a few higher ranking ones but it tends to be the older clergy which include many of the bishops in positions of leadership who make up the anti equality voice. Another ten years or so and I think things will begin to seem quite different. Marriage equality will happen in the UK. The consultation had record responses and despite church leaders calling loudly for people to take part in the consultation and show government they were against equality and virtually no organised response from pro equality groups there was still a decent majority in favour. I'd like to think that if the churches take to the streets in the UK then there would be an organised response against them.

Here is the outcome of the consultation if anyone is interested. Please note that the figures don't really give a true response as there are many people who are pro equality or who just couldn't really give a shit who anyone marries who wouldn't have bothered taking part in this as they feel it doesn't affect them.

by Anonymousreply 2901/13/2013

The Vatican is basically attacking the Gay community full time these days. I don't think Catholics do anything else but attack gays anymore.

by Anonymousreply 3001/13/2013

All this antigay current in Europe (that was previously getting more and more progressive about it) is a muslim influence. They are virulently antigay, they incite against gays, the fanatic Catholics with their empty churches are taking advantage of it and the politicians are trying to placate those animals. They've already started with the Jews, next will come other minorities, women's right and democracy in general.

This reminds me of that famous saying "first they came for the Jews and I said nothing because I wasn't a Jew....".

Europe has let a malignant disease infiltrate it.

by Anonymousreply 3101/13/2013

There is a great opportunity to frame this protest as Muslim verses Gay.

by Anonymousreply 3201/13/2013

Oh fuck off R31. This is being whipped up by right-wingers and Christians. I have no doubt that some Muslims are happy to see anti-gay protests but let's not point the finger at the wrong culprits. My inability to get married has nothing to do with the 5% of the population who identify as Muslim.

by Anonymousreply 3301/13/2013

Are you serious, R31?

You're such ignorant trash. And you have the nerve to use that quote as you attempt to blame a minority group with little influence for what has always gone on in Europe? Talk about having zero introspection, you bigoted tool.

Yeah, clearly the anti-gay movement in places like Russia is the fault of Muslims because why face the reality that there has always been bigotry in Europe? Ever been to a soccer match? Yes, I'm sure the Nazi salutes you see in Italy and Spain are because of Muslims, too.

Do you even own a passport? Do you honestly believe Muslims are the reason for this in Europe? Have you actually convinced yourself that they have that kind of influence? Why stop there? Blame them for flyover and the south, too. And the GOP.

You just don't want to face the fact that there are more than enough white Christians who hate gays still out there. You have no idea what Europe is like beyond some Ivory-Merchant crap you watch.

by Anonymousreply 3401/13/2013

Why are you guys lumping France and the UK together on this? There is majority support for marriage equality in the UK.

by Anonymousreply 3501/13/2013

What's odd about the French attitude is that the issue bringing out the crowds is not so much marriage as adoption. French public opinion is not keen on a same-sex couple being able to jointly adopt a child.

American states vary on this issue, but even many states that ban gay marriage still allow same-sex couples to adopt, and adoption seems far less salient in public discourse.

France is unusual even for Europe.

by Anonymousreply 3601/13/2013

I don't think the UK or France have the Christisn diversity the US has. The US has hundreds, maybe thousands of denominations, from fundamentalist to very liberal. Further , nondenominational churches are huge in America. The Catholic Church dominates the religious scene in France, although evangelicals and Muslims are growing fast. In the UK, the Church of England is the official state church, and the only other major Protestant voices are evangelical. THe religious left is just not as large and animated in Europe as it is in America. In Europe, leftists tend not be committed Christians or Jews, unlike in the US.

by Anonymousreply 3701/13/2013

R29, why hasn't there been much organized response from pro equality groups? Are they overconfident and lazy?

by Anonymousreply 3801/13/2013

I recently saw a news program with David Cameron and Rupert Everett. Cameron was doing a great job defending his quest for marriage equality. When they asked Rupert about it, he said he couldn't defend Cameron's plans because he was not a fan of marriage. I keep hearing news stories in the media about British gays who are against marriage equality or ambivalent. Why so little support for equality among British gays?

by Anonymousreply 3901/13/2013

Also, the religious right in America is GEEKED up about the anti gay surge in France and are coordinating with the French anti gay movement. They are using the French uprising as inspiration.

by Anonymousreply 4001/13/2013

The BBC, as usual, is making it look bigger than it actually is.

When did the BBC start turning against the gay community?

by Anonymousreply 4101/13/2013

I have some French friends, and they say that this isn't too terribly surprising. They feel that they became too complacent about gay rights, especially since they have lots of European societies to serve as positive examples. Somehow, they felt that those benefits would accrue to them simply through proximity - magical thinking at its finest.

I do think gay marriage will be legal in France soon, though. This may be what finally causes the French gay community to wake up.

by Anonymousreply 4301/13/2013

R41 The same time they started making riots in two or three streets in Belfast look like the city was burning. Alongside all the other news channels. It is what they all do. Exaggerate everything.

by Anonymousreply 4401/13/2013

R38 I picked up a general apathy. There are small groups which are working hard but there doesn't seem to be a coordinated mass response. There may be an element of over confidence perhaps because if you speak to the average person - non church going - they have no difficulty in agreeing with marriage equality but you won't enthuse them enough to fill in consultation documents or send emails etc. I do expect the bill to pass but with a probably skewed impression as to how large the opposition is. The bill for England and Wales will be introduced by the end of this month. Then we need to wait for it to pass.

by Anonymousreply 4501/13/2013

There is gonna be a pro-equality march in Paris on January 27. I hope they are able to galvanize at least 400,000.

by Anonymousreply 4601/13/2013

Hurry up and pass this. The anti side is flexing

by Anonymousreply 4701/18/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!