Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Zero Dark Thirty

Solidly crafted, but emotionally un-involving and rather generic. Doesn't really come to life as cinema until the climactic raid on bin Laden's safehouse, which is quite riveting. But otherwise, meh.

This is what the critics are going gaga for? And why is Jessica Chastain up for an Oscar for this ok but hardly revelatory performance? Really, it's criminal that she and Quebooboo are in and the dazzling, hypnotic, towering performances of Marion Cotillard and Rachel Weisz were snubbed.

by Anonymousreply 2001/20/2013

JC is so so gorgeous and very pretty and can act when she wants to BUT not in this film. I wonder if she serviced Heavy Whalestein or has pictures on him somewhere.

Cotillard and Weisz were amazing. It's a shame that the whole thing is a fix job from day one. Otherwise these two would have a chance at the brass ring.

by Anonymousreply 101/12/2013

An apologia for torture. Meh. I'll skip it.

by Anonymousreply 201/12/2013

[bold]Zero Conscience in “Zero Dark Thirty”[/bold]

At the same time that the European Court of Human Rights has issued a historic ruling condemning the C.I.A.’s treatment of a terror suspect during the Bush years as “torture,” a Hollywood movie about the agency’s hunt for Osama bin Laden, “Zero Dark Thirty”—whose creators say that they didn’t want to “judge” the interrogation program—appears headed for Oscar nominations. Can torture really be turned into morally neutral entertainment?

Read more:

by Anonymousreply 301/12/2013

[quote]I wonder if she serviced Heavy Whalestein or has pictures on him somewhere.

You do know ZDT is a Sony production and has nothing to do with the Weinsteins?

by Anonymousreply 401/13/2013

Jessica Chastain can't act for shit. She must've majored in Working the Casting Couch at Juilliard.

by Anonymousreply 501/13/2013

[quote]JC is so so gorgeous and very pretty and can act when she wants to

I have the exact opposite opinion I think she's fug and that's why she gets cast in oscar bait shit and why we're forced to see her dumb ass at award shows. Directors/producers think they're being edgy by casting a actress who is not traditionally pretty..and she's not.

She's not a bad actress but she is highly over praised. A million actresses could have done that part as well or better and the actress who played the other CIA agent was better. Can't wait until JC's 15 minutes are up. When the hype around her dies down and critics stop acting like she's god's gift to the craft I might actually warm up to her. Maybe, if she actually does some good work.

by Anonymousreply 601/13/2013

I couldn't agree more, OP.

JC is as boring as dishwater.

by Anonymousreply 701/13/2013

R1, I don't find Jennifer Chastain gorgeous at all.

And she looked terrible at the Golden Globes on Sunday night.

Completely horrible pomaded hair on top at the Globes.

by Anonymousreply 801/15/2013

sorry, Jessica, not Jennifer.

Her dress at the Globes was wretched looking too. The fit was nonexistent and terrible.

by Anonymousreply 901/15/2013

It sounds like some propaganda from the Bush administration, yet it's receiving all these accolades. I thought H-wood was supposed to be so "liberal."

by Anonymousreply 1201/16/2013

It's hagiography of the CIA, so it will be beloved.

Like LINCOLN, which...whitewashes...his racism and mass murder, it will be lauded.

by Anonymousreply 1301/16/2013

I had no idea that the film was produced by ORACLE CEO's Larry Ellison's lesbian daughter. She is 20 something and uses daddy's money to "produce" films. Boal was dismissive of her when she showed up on the set of the film.

by Anonymousreply 1501/19/2013

R11, you're probably right in general. In this case, the character Chastain plays is an actual CIA agent so perhaps her race was the reason for casting a white actress.

by Anonymousreply 1601/19/2013

I don't understand how this is propaganda for the CIA. It doesn't necessarily portray them in a positive way, what with the use of torture and all. The CIA has even renounced the film and the torture allegations.

by Anonymousreply 1701/19/2013

at least she is thin r18

by Anonymousreply 1901/19/2013

Jessica Chastain and her fivehead need to fuck off and die.

by Anonymousreply 2001/20/2013
Need more help? Click Here.