Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Cyndi Lauper, Still So Unusual

Have to admit I wasn't expecting much, but this is the best reality show in years. Shows the unglamorous behind the scenes of show biz. The kid is hilarious. Loved it.

by Anonymousreply 4902/28/2013

You might be interested in the thread about her book, OP.

by Anonymousreply 101/12/2013

Liked it too, much more than I thought I would.

by Anonymousreply 201/13/2013

You can watch the first episode here.

She's such an antidote to Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 301/13/2013

I really think she's one of the likable celebrities of all time.

by Anonymousreply 401/13/2013

Honestly, you could tell this was scripted almost immediately. The most laughable part was when her voice was "gone" and then it just miraculously came back when it was time for her performance.

I do like her though.

by Anonymousreply 501/13/2013

Her performance on The Voice

by Anonymousreply 601/13/2013

*most* likable

by Anonymousreply 701/13/2013

R3 desperatley wants to turn this into a Madonna thread.

Don't humor her.

by Anonymousreply 801/13/2013

Cyndi ranks with Dolly Parton in my heart. I have cared about her from the first time I saw her in San Francisco in 1983.

by Anonymousreply 901/13/2013

[quote]Honestly, you could tell this was scripted almost immediately. The most laughable part was when her voice was "gone" and then it just miraculously came back when it was time for her performance.

You're not a singer. It wasn't literal. Not gone as in laryngitis, or no voice at all, she couldn't hit all the notes she wanted to. She's been a pro for forty years and she knows how to compensate but she didn't sing it as well as should could or wanted to. The earpiece not working in rehearsals and then performance didn't help either. You have to hear yourself over the music or you can hit wrong notes too. That's what I loved about it, you saw the warts of show biz too. "The Voice" performance wasn't a disaster but it wasn't a triumph either.

by Anonymousreply 1001/13/2013

[quote]You're not a singer.

And you don't know how "reality" shows work my dear. Every episode of a "reality" show has to have a drama added to it for excitement.

by Anonymousreply 1101/13/2013

Why did she say she got in a lot of trouble for She Bop?

by Anonymousreply 1201/13/2013

Because allegedly 'She Bop' was a song about woman masturbation!!!!

by Anonymousreply 1301/13/2013

She's no Barrie Youngfellow.

by Anonymousreply 1401/13/2013

[quote]And you don't know how "reality" shows work my dear. Every episode of a "reality" show has to have a drama added to it for excitement.

And you don't Cyndi Lauper, who would never sing off in front of fourteen million people on purpose.

by Anonymousreply 1501/13/2013

[quote]She's no Barrie Youngfellow.

Barrie Youngfellow is NO Barry Manilow.

by Anonymousreply 1601/13/2013

I can't believe her husband is the sleazy lawyer from Law & Order: SVU!

by Anonymousreply 1701/13/2013

Okay, I ADORE Cyndi, I do. But this show is leading me to fade on her.

She can seem downright awful. Awful to her manager, the people around her and even her husband.

Yeah I realize she's a rich and famous rock star; but some of the scene really seem to catch her in unguarded moments of being a genuine nasty, spoiled person.

Ans am I the only one who thinks her kid is a nasty, vile little monster?

by Anonymousreply 1802/02/2013

Nobody else watches this show?

by Anonymousreply 1902/03/2013

[quote]And you don't Cyndi Lauper, who would never sing off in front of fourteen million people on purpose.

I'll assume you were never fourteen or have ever met a fourteen year old. He's a wise ass, yes, but he's very funny.

by Anonymousreply 2002/03/2013

Her kid is a nasty little prick but it's because Cyndi and her husband, who seems sort of sweet but moronic, allow him to be.

Everything the kid does is chuckle-worthy to both parents. Kids will be kids, but he's especially spoiled and bratty and nasty. He also seems like a classist little smart ass in some of the scenes when he's talking to his little friend, the kid of his mother's manager.

I LOVE Cyndi Lauper, I do. But this show is exposing her to be a nasty, self entitled bitch to the people around her. That realization happens to coincide with the same impression I'm getting from reading her book. I suppose she's just been able to hide it well over the years.

by Anonymousreply 2102/04/2013

Does anyone have any idea if Cyndi is like mega loaded, or just adequately rich?

Seems like she'd be nearly a billionaire when you take into account all her music and the fact 'Girls Just Wanna Have Fun' is licensed to everything from Hallmark cards to ring tones to television bumper music. Seems like that one song alone would net her millions every year but I get the impression she really needs to work.

Also, both her house and her apartment seem like pigsties. The husband stays home but apparently doesn't clean. Wouldn't she have cleaning people at both residences???

by Anonymousreply 2202/04/2013

[quote]Seems like she'd be nearly a billionaire when you take into account all her music and the fact 'Girls Just Wanna Have Fun' is licensed to everything from Hallmark cards to ring tones to television bumper music.

She didn't write "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun."

by Anonymousreply 2302/04/2013

Cyndi said she in her book she is NOT loaded. She turned down many opportunities for clothing lines, endorsements, hair products, etc because she felt it would cheapen her as an artist.

She focused on her music and not the merchandising.

She says she got ripped off by her record company. (doesn't everyone in the music business).

Yes she toured, but after paying the band and all the costs, she didn't have much left.

Consider this. The members of NSync made all their money from the merchandising and not from the music. As such each one is millionaires ten times over.

Cyndi never did any merchandising of her image.

by Anonymousreply 2402/04/2013

[quote]She turned down many opportunities....because she felt it would cheapen her as an artist.

Clothing lines would "cheapen" her but 'WrestleMania' is highbrow??

That's very odd, especially since now it seems like she'll show up to do most anything. Not that I blame her but shit, why wouldn't she at least do some sort of funky line of shirts or pants?

I think her apartment building is here in the Village where I am. They only show one static exterior shot of her CT house. It doesn't look like any mega mansion, or even mansion'esque really.

I wonder if she has homes in other places. From the TV show, the husband seems like little more than a babysitter to that monstrous offspring of theirs. I wonder if he has any career to speak of.

by Anonymousreply 2502/04/2013

No celeb is as rich as some people claim. A. J. McLean was on TMZ just last week when the press claimed he was worth 80 million. He said "could someone tell me where it is". All celebs worth is blown out of proportion. After taxes, then 10% for the manager, 10% for the agent,(and managers and agents don't get 10% of the after tax paycheck either) publicist, stylist, assistant, mortgage, property taxes...

by Anonymousreply 2602/04/2013

R25 Cyndi's hubby recurs on Law & Order SVU as sleazy defense lawyer Lionel Granger.

by Anonymousreply 2702/04/2013

Doesn't she live in a crazy-cheap rent-controlled apartment?

by Anonymousreply 2802/04/2013

I don't know if she's still there, but recently Cyndi lived in the historic Apthorp on the UWS.

I agree that she seems like someone desperate to remain famous. Rerecording Girls Just Wanna Have Fun with a raggae beat? Recording a big band album? Donald Trump's Apprentice? Reality show on basic cable? DESPERATE. Oh well, she seems nice enough. And we know that she loves the gays.

by Anonymousreply 2902/04/2013

I knew he'd been on it R27 but have never seen L&O, didn't realize he was still on. Good for him.

Between the two of them, they should be able to afford some good counseling for their messed up kid. Or at least tuition to one of those bad kids camps. That kid is going to get worse as he gets older. No doubt.

by Anonymousreply 3002/04/2013

She seems real on the show, but hubby indulges her spoiled rock star behavior. Though I am a big fan, she seems to be hard to work with.

by Anonymousreply 3102/04/2013

She always had a rep in the biz for being difficult. She's not as talented as she'd like to believe, never written a hit song. All her stuff was written for her.

by Anonymousreply 3202/04/2013

I'm reading her book and she comes across as having been extremely difficult. Though, what singing star isn't?

I thought she wrote many of her hits but according to many people posting here, she doesn't write at all.

On her show, they show her NYC apartment and it seems to be just one big living room and a tiny kitchen with a tiny stackable W/D next to the stove. Maybe there's a bedroom but when she had people over for lunch, they ate at a table in the living room. I'd figure she would have a larger place.

I'm guessing she's either really, really tight with money, or she really doesn't have as much as she otherwise should or would. She's remarked in one episode something about how she had to work for her family. Maybe she lost a ton in the Madoff thing, or perhaps she just wasn't good with money early on.

by Anonymousreply 3302/04/2013

[quote]perhaps she just wasn't good with money early on.

She filed for bankruptcy back in 1981 before she became famous, so that's saying something.

by Anonymousreply 3402/04/2013

Her biggest songwriting co-credit is for "Time After Time" which probably does make her money still. But it's true all her biggest hits weren't written by her so she gets no writing residuals.

I've avoided the reality show because even the promos make her look unlikeable.

by Anonymousreply 3502/04/2013

I watched the first episode and that was enough for me. She comes off as bitter and very whiny.

My opinion of her really went down when she resorted to doing that trashy Celebrity Apprentice show.

by Anonymousreply 3602/04/2013

Cyndi wrote...

Time After Time

She Bop

Change Of Heart

Witness

I'll Kiss You

The heartbreaking Sally's Pigeons and many more

by Anonymousreply 3702/04/2013

Why the wrestling phase? I never understood that

by Anonymousreply 3802/04/2013

I can't stand the son either. So annoying and disrespectful.

by Anonymousreply 3902/04/2013

R37, I sometimes think I'm the only one who knows about Sally's Pigeons. It's beautiful and heartbreaking at the same time.

I also admit I love her cover of La Vie En Rose. She really isn't helping her otherwise beloved reputation with this reality show. She's coming out really aggressively nasty; and not just in a put-on, reality show way. Most of it is very organic and genuine.

I get the impression the asshole kid is going to live with mom and day well into his 30s, unless and until mommy puts him up in his own place. Either way, he comes across as the type of kid who'll eventually bleed his parents dry and bitch for them to hurry up and die so he can have the rest. Something about him is just scary and he doesn't seem well balanced. Then again, it could just be a phase.

by Anonymousreply 4002/04/2013

r37 - "Time After Time" was Jules Shear, "Change of Heart" Esra Mohawk, "She Bop" she may have co-written, and the others you mention weren't hits. According to many who have seen her upcoming Bway show, the songs suck. She's not a songwriter. She was a decent singer until her ego got in the way, now her concerts suck and she's lost me (and I suspect others) as a fan. She's a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 4102/05/2013

I can't think of a musical I find less interesting than "Kinky Boots."

Flop.

by Anonymousreply 4202/05/2013

[quote]but according to many people posting here, she doesn't write at all.

Well, that settles it, then.

by Anonymousreply 4302/05/2013

Cyndi doesn't hold the publishing rights to her songs as well.

Time after Time has been covered by so many other artists. Yet she doesn't get a dime because the publishing rights are held by another company.

by Anonymousreply 4402/05/2013

I still can't believe how after 30 years onstage she is till so insecure and nervous before each show. A little anxiety, sure but she becomes a basket case..

[quote] can't think of a musical I find less interesting than "Kinky Boots." ... Flop.

Written by queers about queers, of course Datalounge will rip it apart sight unseen. Soooooo glad I don't know you R42, you seem as friendly as Cancer.

by Anonymousreply 4502/16/2013

Wrongo, R41. "Time After Time" was written by Cyndi and Rob Hyman of The Hooters.

by Anonymousreply 4602/16/2013

Her son is so jealous of her fame. When her book arrived, he got all huffy and rolled his eyes and then ignored everyone, including the book. He's kind of a moody bitch.

by Anonymousreply 4702/26/2013

Not really understanding some of the animosity towards Cyndi and this show. I don't find her unnecessarily rude or demanding, and I see her family as quite charming and genuine. The son's gonna be a cutie when he gets older.

I discovered the show because of this thread, having never been a fan of her work particularly. I'm old enough to remember the Madonna/Cyndi supposed rivalry and always chose Madonna (what of it?).

She actually comes across as quite thoughtful and kind in the face of normal celeb demands.

She looks quite good for her age from most angles, but her jawline looks decidedly odd for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 4802/28/2013

Cyndi got the title for the song by looking through the tv guide and seeing the 1979 movie "Time After Time" listed.

by Anonymousreply 4902/28/2013
Need more help? Click Here.