Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Department of Homeland Security Urges Users to disable JAVA in Browsers

1/12/13 The (JAVA) issue is so large that the Computer Emergency Readiness Team at the Department of Homeland Security has urged users to disable Java. The governmental organization says in a release that the vulnerability "is being actively exploited" and that "exploit code is publicly available." US-CERT recommends that Java be disabled in the browser until an update is pushed out by Oracle.

by Anonymousreply 2002/07/2013

It's easy to disable JAVA temporarily in browsers. (See Link)

by Anonymousreply 101/12/2013

by Anonymousreply 201/14/2013

Yes, I would like to know if this has been fixed. You can't use the Internet without Java.

by Anonymousreply 301/14/2013

R3, that's not true these days. Not that many sites use java in the browser any more. It's getting rarer and rarer.

A lot of sites use javascript but, despite the name, that's not actually anything to do with java or effected by this security announcement.

by Anonymousreply 401/14/2013

Part of the problem has been fixed, but not all of the security holes have been addressed. Security experts still advise users to disable JAVA (not javascript) in their browsers.

"According to Reuters, the security firm Kaspersky Lab estimates that Java was used in 50 percent of all attacks in which hackers broke into computers by exploiting software bugs."

by Anonymousreply 501/14/2013

Okay, but when will they fix it?

by Anonymousreply 601/14/2013

All I know is that Datalounge had been freezing up on me for weeks--and now that I disabled it I'm having no problems.

by Anonymousreply 701/14/2013

I dont have Java on my Windows 7 PC. And it works as good as new.

There are only a few sites that require it.

Personally I think it slows down computers.

by Anonymousreply 801/14/2013

Now what?

by Anonymousreply 901/16/2013

It's a trick.

by Anonymousreply 1001/16/2013

Apparently this is still an issue. Firefox won't let me activate the add on for the newest version of Java.

by Anonymousreply 1101/24/2013

I have Java but don't really know what I need it for - I disabled it, but may just get rid of it altogether.

by Anonymousreply 1201/24/2013

Oracle keeps putting out emergency patch versions now. Another was released this week after the January release was still deemed not secure.

by Anonymousreply 1402/07/2013

I'm so glad someone posted this. I just got hammered with numerous viruses and it was a java exploit. I'm not a computer savvy at all, so I removed the threats, found out that I have a vulnerable version of java (6, number 24) so I uninstalled it. Will I have problems with my computer now with it removed?

by Anonymousreply 1502/07/2013

Exploit:Win64/Anogre.gen!A Exploit: Java/Blacole.GQ Exploit: JS/Blacole.KX Exploit: Java/CVE-2012-0507 Exploit: Java/CVE-2012-1723

This is what invaded me. I use Malwarebytes, MSE, Prevx, ZoneAlarm firewall and HitmanPro

by Anonymousreply 1602/07/2013

R15 I uninstalled Java several weeks ago instead of just disabling it and haven't noticed any difference at all with my computer itself, MS Office, internet, etc.

by Anonymousreply 1702/07/2013

Thanks a lot for responding R17.

by Anonymousreply 1802/07/2013

by Anonymousreply 1902/07/2013

I completely uninstalled JAVA from my computer back when they first said to disable it weeks ago, and I have had no problems with not having it. There have been maybe two sites that gave me a pop-up saying that they used JAVA, but I was still able to use the site with no problem. So considering all the issues they're having, I have no intention on even bothering to install it again.

by Anonymousreply 2002/07/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!