Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Is Jennifer Lawrence this year's Gwyneth Paltrow?

Harvey is buying the Best Actress Oscar for Lawrence, isn't he? How depressing. It's an ok performance, but Emmanuelle Riva and Naomi Watts are superior, as are the un-nominated Marion Cotillard and Rachel Weisz.

by Anonymousreply 2804/29/2013

Jennifer Lawrence is an amazingly talented actress who gave a brilliant performance in her first oscar nominated role and is now nominated for an oscar for a very good performance.

Gwyneth Paltrow is a decent enough actress capable of very good work who won an oscar for her first academy award nominated performance in a very good movie in which she gave a mediocre performance. She was nominated against a great actress, Cate Blanchett, giving one of the most exciting film performances of the last quarter century. Inexplicably, Paltrow won.

So, no, they are nothing alike.

by Anonymousreply 101/11/2013

There was something strange about Weinstein's reaction to both Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence winning those awards on Sunday. He was very cold toward both of them and looked like he was going to catch cooties from Jennifer when she leaned in for the hug after her name was announced for SLP. Bradley also had an awkward hug with him. Anyone know what's up with that?

by Anonymousreply 201/11/2013

Jessica Chastain was posed and lovely. I bet she got a lot of votes.

by Anonymousreply 401/11/2013

Oh good, another thread about poisonous envy.

by Anonymousreply 501/11/2013

[quote]There was something strange about Weinstein's reaction to both Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence winning those awards on Sunday

The first time they won (for ensemble cast) Harvey kind of wandered up to them from nowhere and stood there awkwardly hugging and delaying them from going to the stage. A couple of the other early winners took a long time to get to the stage also. Usually at award shows they start announcing in the commercials that winners need to not spend too much time hugging people and hurry up to the stage for time and also because it is boring for viewers when everyone just stands there receiving congratulations. They may have been following those rules (or Harvey had a few drinks.)

by Anonymousreply 601/11/2013

I agree r7. Weinstein just got that rep when Shakespeare in Love beat Saving Private Ryan for Best Picture. People said it was because of all the radio/tv ads and flyers and stuff he sent to people.

Warren Beatty actually somehow figured out that more money had been spent on SPR than Weinstein spent promoting Shakespeare. Spielberg was pretty angry at losing and he was the one who started saying Harvey buys the awards.

(BTW Spielberg is personally calling academy members this year asking for votes.)

by Anonymousreply 801/12/2013

What did she do to win all of this year's awards?

by Anonymousreply 903/23/2013

Spielberg seems to be a real sourpuss so R8's post wouldn't surprise me.

I haven't seen her in anything besides her X-MEN movie. She seems charming enough offscreen. I think she's got the Oscar at least for making a lot of money for Hollywood Then she shows up in something critically acclaimed, so she's given a 'gratitude' Oscar. Julia Roberts has one of those. They usually wait until the star has a few blockbusters under their belt though.

by Anonymousreply 1003/23/2013

[quote]Ms. Lawrence comes across as a teenaged airhead in her Vanity Fair cover-interview.

[quote]A clueless twit who got incredibly lucky.

by Anonymousreply 1103/23/2013

I know it's an unpopular opinion here on DataLounge, but I dislike Lawrence more than Hathaway. I've come to find Paltrow amusing.

by Anonymousreply 1203/23/2013

I just saw Rachel Weisz in The Deep Blue Sea - mesmerizing performance. She was the whole movie. I am surprised she was not nominated. However, I thought Lawrence's Oscar was well-deserved as it would have been by either Riva or Watts. Lots of good actresses this year.

by Anonymousreply 1303/23/2013

If anyone was ever set up for a too-much-too-soon fall, it's Lawrence.

I really hope she makes a decent long-lasting career for herself, but what are the odds.

by Anonymousreply 1403/23/2013

Her performance in Winter's Bone is one of the best ever.

by Anonymousreply 1503/23/2013

It turns my stomach that she has an Oscar

by Anonymousreply 1603/23/2013

I am hoping Jennifer Lawrence takes acting seriously. Gwyneth has done Iron Man and seems more interested in developing her brand. Jessica Chastain is 36 and is probably pissed that she lost. Very hard to win an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 1703/23/2013

You do know that it is a producers job to promote his movie. HW is not "buying Jennifer anything. HE IS DOING HIS JOB. He is doing his job the same way Mayer, Warner, Cohn, Goldwyn, and Disney did their jobs.

by Anonymousreply 1803/23/2013

17......"very hard to win an oscar"....seriously ? How do you explain Reese Witherspoon, Sandra Bullock and a few other recent winners ? Im not saying the performances werent good, but they werent oscar worthy considering the women they were up against.

by Anonymousreply 1903/23/2013

Reese Witherspoon shouldn't have been nominated, let alone win. (Felicity Huffman was robbed)

Sandra Bullock only won because people like her.

Jennifer Lawrence won because she gave a stellar performance and is. Great actress. (Was rooting for Riva, but JL was a worthy second)

by Anonymousreply 2003/23/2013

It has been very hard for Glenn Close, Michelle Pfeiffer, Naomi Watts, Jessica Chastain or Sigourney Weaver to win an Oscar. It takes a lot of sucking up and campaigning.

by Anonymousreply 2103/23/2013

[quote]How do you explain Reese Witherspoon, Sandra Bullock and a few other recent winners ?

Their years and the competition at the time. Sometimes there isn't a clear cut knockout winner performance that they'd have no choice to go with (like Cotillard even though she was foreign language).

04 had a great field, but yet they went with the inferior MDB cause that was the only one that screamed Oscar and realistic winner. The same happened with Witheredpoon, an incredibly weak year so they just took the chance to award the Hollywood It girl and American sweetheart - also she had the snubbed Election under her belt.

Sandy Bullock was also awarded for her contributions and box office just like Julia Roberts, as she was in a split year with no realistic winners. Streep was the major competition but the film was a fluffy romcom, and way inferior to Prada where she really elevated it. If J&J had more dramatic moments and more of a straight biopic focused on Julia instead of that annoying bitch, Meryl would be far and away the winner. The Iron Lady had all the ingredients and even constant screentime for her to win.

Otherwise they weren't gonna give it to Gabby Sidibe who clearly was a one off but in a different way to Mo'Nique, despite perhaps being the best of all. Mulligan was great but that performance didn't scream Oscar.

The exception to this is Paltrow, the weakest link but lost to Blanchett which clearly was genuine winning material.

by Anonymousreply 2203/23/2013

Jennifer Lawrence is the antithesis of the snooty, Spence educated, born with a silver spoon in her mouth, Paltrow.

by Anonymousreply 2303/23/2013

R23 You forgot skinny

by Anonymousreply 2403/23/2013

Completely agree with R11, R12, and R16. She's incredibly immature and not that great of an actress. I don't get the hype.

by Anonymousreply 2503/23/2013

I thought she was perfectly adequate in Winter's Bone. In the X-Men film she barely registers.

by Anonymousreply 2603/23/2013

Jennifer Lawrence was completely underwhelming. I have seen better acting in JuCo summer stock productions.

by Anonymousreply 2704/29/2013

[quote]Jennifer Lawrence is the antithesis of the snooty, Spence educated, born with a silver spoon in her mouth, Paltrow.

I wouldn't care if Paltrow was snooty and pretentious and all else she is, if she was actually deserving of her Oscar win - but, she wasn't. Lawrence isn't deserving of hers either.

[quote] I don't get the hype.

That's just it, hype is all it is.

by Anonymousreply 2804/29/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!