Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Restaurant Owner in North Carolina Waits for Lesbian Couple to Pay Tab, Then Hands Them Letter Condemning Homosexuality‏

A married lesbian couple say they had just finished enjoying a meal at The Stingray Café in New Bern, North Carolina, when they were approached by the owner and handed a letter riddled with spelling errors telling them their homosexuality was hurting everyone around them.

The full letter is transcribed below (sic throughout):

God said in the last days that man and women would be lover of self, more then the lover of God.

That man and woman would have unnatural effection for one another. Then, the coming of the Son of Man, who is Jesus. So please, look at your life. See how it hurt every one around you. And ask the Lord to open your eye before it to late.

The Love of Christ

P.S. my daughter also was gay. It destroy her life and my grandson.

Reached for comment by NewsChannel 12, Ed McGovern confirmed the incident as described by Ariel and Shawnee McPhail.

He told the station that the letter was an act of "love," and that this wasn't his first time handing such a letter to a lesbian couple.

He also claimed that he was spurred by the sight of Ariel and Shawnee kissing outside his cafe.

The McPhails deny any PDA — "we don't kiss in public. We were holding hands" — but say it doesn't matter either way.

"If I did kiss my wife in public, what married couple would you go to and say, 'how dare you. You cannot hold hands and you cannot kiss in public therefore you deserve my judgement," Shawnee said. Added Ariel: "If we're experiencing it, then other people are too and that's not fair."

by Anonymousreply 14103/07/2013

It's time to unleash on this asshole Restaurant Owner.

Drive him out of business.

by Anonymousreply 101/11/2013

[quote]It's time to unleash on this asshole Restaurant Owner. Drive him out of business.

This is North Carolina we're talking about. If anything, this stunt will bring in more business.

by Anonymousreply 201/11/2013

not anymore

by Anonymousreply 301/11/2013

Of course it destroyed her life when her father is a total bigot.

by Anonymousreply 401/11/2013

His restaurant is open on the Sabbath [italic]and[/italic] serves shellfish. For shame!

On a more serious note, somebody posted at Yelp that he's also gotten complaints for allegedly giving black customers poor service.

by Anonymousreply 501/11/2013

I remember pulling into a motel in NC and the desk clerk asked me where we (BF and I) were from. It was late at night and it was just him and an old biddy working the switchboard.

"Where ya from?" he asked me.

"San Francisco," I replied.

He laughed and the biddy snorted.

"Well, y'all are in God's country now."

I mean, come on!

Uneducated people rely on religion and bigotry. In most cases, it's all they got.

by Anonymousreply 601/11/2013

I would have told him ALL country is God's country, even those places the desk clerk doesn't like. Imagine that, and thank the good Goddess Isis for that.

by Anonymousreply 701/11/2013

This is a typical North Carolina resident.

I don't think many people have even been there.

by Anonymousreply 901/11/2013

He was stupid enough to do it, it figures he would be too stupid to even think he did anything wrong. Hence, no denial. I'm not giving him credit for being stupid.

by Anonymousreply 1001/11/2013

These old people are all going to die off soon enough, and in the meantime they have very little influence left. They should have smiled very warmly and said "We appreciate your concern for us", and just left, never to return. If it was a chain like Chickenshit Fillets, then that is another matter.

by Anonymousreply 1101/11/2013

We've got many many many new immigrants to take up the slack when these people die.

by Anonymousreply 1201/11/2013

The owner hands a letter to lesbians and a couple of well-placed punches to gay men.

by Anonymousreply 1301/11/2013

I love the reviews on Yelp!!

by Anonymousreply 1401/11/2013

Stupid old coot. That's not how you get invited to a threesome that your wife won't do.

by Anonymousreply 1501/11/2013

I will never live in any of those hell hole states- ever.

by Anonymousreply 1601/11/2013

Well, Charlie, I think we will probably get along without you here in Texas.

by Anonymousreply 1701/11/2013

R15 has a great point--don't most normal, heterosexual men love lesbians? Isn't a threesome their greatest fantasy?

I question supposedly hetero men who condemn lesbians. They seem to be closeted homos themselves, fighting the urges.

And I feel very sorry for the wife--any man who behaves this way is a dud in the bedroom and is NO FUCKING FUN.

by Anonymousreply 1801/11/2013

They weren't "hot", r18.

by Anonymousreply 1901/11/2013

what kind of self loathing gay person would live in North Carolina or Texas?

by Anonymousreply 2001/11/2013

How do you know, r19?

by Anonymousreply 2101/11/2013

What a perfectly ignorant statement, R20.

by Anonymousreply 2201/11/2013

Those Teabagger assholes are all on their way out, thank god. This will be a much better country when they're six feet under.

by Anonymousreply 2301/11/2013

They are HOT, r19.

by Anonymousreply 2401/11/2013

hot:

by Anonymousreply 2601/11/2013

R8 ves people points for proudly affirming their hateful bigotry and then calling it an act of love.

You're a douchebag.

Therte's something to be said for a bigot who, at the very least, knows that bigotry is shameful.

by Anonymousreply 2801/11/2013

Including Texas! Why would I go to a state by choice where the policy of its gov't and governor is to marginalize and discriminate against me? Now if you are there by circumstance, well, I guess you can find people who will treat you with respect. But choose to live in TX, or KT, or NC or... ? Never.

by Anonymousreply 2901/11/2013

isn't there a blurb in the bible that states judge not lest ye be judged? why dont these religious asswipes adhere to that? they pick and choose what parts of the bible they are going to follow. and why are they so g-d obsessed with other people's sex life? there's something deviantly wrong with these religious nuts.

by Anonymousreply 3201/11/2013

They are hot, and I have noticed that southern women tend to be very pretty. There's usually a weight issue at some point but even then they retain their pretty faces.

by Anonymousreply 3301/11/2013

Oh why do people question nature? Stop telling the planet how to run things. It's a safety check set up by nature so the population doesn't explode. A percentage of the population is supposed to be homosexual. People who can't accept that are fighting a losing battle. Guess he doesn't have real hobbies or interests. The church doesn't count. Grow a set and join a real organization as a volunteer and be of service to society. There's so many pressing issues that need tackling.

by Anonymousreply 3401/11/2013

[quote]He seems well intentioned. It's not like he kicked them out.

How very big of him!

by Anonymousreply 3501/11/2013

R32, what new and interesting thoughts you have.

by Anonymousreply 3601/11/2013

R34- hypocrite

by Anonymousreply 3701/11/2013

To answer my own question, I think that in the south being "pretty" is highly valued, moreso than on the west coast. On the left coast, fitness and an athletic body is highly prized and the face, not so much. The money spent there is moreso on gyms and the upkeep of a fit body. I'm guessing hair salons and makeup lessons are prominent in the southern states, with an obvious lack of attention to athleticism.

The midwest seems to downplay both extremes and settles into a more natural look, although it would lean towards athletic if anything.

The east coast is obviously more into clothing and image, with fake faces, hair and a 'moneied' look being popular.

by Anonymousreply 3901/11/2013

I've been to New Bern. It is fearfully redneck. But if you want to retire to a warm place on the water, I can't think of anywhere that gives better value for the money.

by Anonymousreply 4001/11/2013

R18 I think more and more men are starting to realize that lesbians really don't want to partake in their fantasy (shocking). It's the bisexuals that they should target.

by Anonymousreply 4201/11/2013

There cute and they make a cute couple.

by Anonymousreply 4301/11/2013

*their

by Anonymousreply 4401/11/2013

R41- I said by choice- get it, by choice. I realize many gay men and lesbians live in these rabid red states by circumstance- employment, family obligation you name it. But by choice, if given a choice? Never.

by Anonymousreply 4501/11/2013

Don't think we don't appreciate the favor, Charlie.

by Anonymousreply 4701/11/2013

I love R41!

by Anonymousreply 4801/11/2013

Very nice r46! You realize you are emphasizing the obvious, yet stooping to the name calling that is typical of homophobes?

by Anonymousreply 4901/11/2013

[quote]I've been to New Bern. It is fearfully redneck. But if you want to retire to a warm place on the water, I can't think of anywhere that gives better value for the money.

For this very reason, it is slowly being filled with transplants from the DC area, so it is getting more liberal.

I was joking about their hotness, and hadn't seen their photo, so I stand corrected - not that it mattered anyway.

by Anonymousreply 5301/11/2013

I don't live in Texas. I live in Austin.

by Anonymousreply 5601/11/2013

Nice editing-out of the word "dyke" there, R57.

by Anonymousreply 5801/11/2013

Do I know you, R56.

by Anonymousreply 5901/11/2013

New Bern. North Carolina show in the link, where yokels from New Bern go to visit Bern, Switzerland and are amazed by everything they see.

by Anonymousreply 6001/11/2013

Unlikely, R59.

by Anonymousreply 6101/11/2013

R39 pegged it. Weather and climate has a definite impact.

R60, it isn't fair to compare anywhere with Switzerland!

by Anonymousreply 6301/11/2013

[quote]He seems well intentioned. It's not like he kicked them out.

No, he just took their money and waited til they were leaving to humiliate, insult and degrade them. On what fucking planet is this "well intentioned", R25?

Of course trolldar reveals you to be a rather unoriginal troll throughout this thread, but I can't believe this comment wasn't challenged more.

by Anonymousreply 6401/11/2013

bigotry is never "well intentioned"

by Anonymousreply 6601/11/2013

I would have whipped out a pen, claimed "Oh dear" just like our grammar troll here and admonish this hick by grading his "paper". Circling all of the mistakes, crossing out misspelled words and finally a big fat F right on the top!

by Anonymousreply 6701/11/2013

Sorry. Exclaimed? Grammar troll, can you correct my post please?

by Anonymousreply 6801/11/2013

"It's the type of unmitigated flaming faggotry I absolutely DESPISE."

Oh I think we have a homohobic gay person here...

By choice, by choice. If you live in TX by choice, family, work, etc, OK- out of love for Rick Perry and his wonderful policies? I've been to TX many many times and while I have certainly met nice people etc, not any city or community would make me want to live there- given the policies of the state gov't which are appalling. I know I am overstating, but why would you want to live in a community where you get treated like crap in a local restaurant, where you may get killed if you go to an abortion clinic and where bias crimes are willfully ignored and where your children will be "educated" on creationism?

You know I grew up summers on Nantucket (that will make the poster who slammed me because he thinks I come from an affluent background, and "rarified" social circles in NYC even more upset). I go to Nantucket at this stage of my life out of circumstance- not choice. My family owns property there- I have to take care of it while my parents are still alive (they no longer can because they are very frail). But as soon as both my parents are deceased my siblings and I will sell our property, and I for one, probably will never return. Why? Because Nantucket is full of Republicans- and yes they are antisemetic and homophobic- not all, but too many. And that party in 2013 is just about the most backward political party I have experience in my lifetime.

So you could say I would never have a home on Nantucket by choice- and when I no longer do, I'll keep my childhood memories and leave the plutocrats to their enclaves.

To those of you who are happy in North Carolina, and TX, more power to you. Not for me- not AZ either. OK, flame away. I'm safe and sound in my NYC bubble of tolerance and progressive politics and glad of it.

by Anonymousreply 7001/11/2013

Outside of Philly, Pennsylvania is pretty bad too.

by Anonymousreply 7101/11/2013

Charlie, lets go to Candy Mountain!

by Anonymousreply 7201/11/2013

In North Carolina, Asheville is very gay-friendly, as is the Research Triangle (Chapel Hill, Durham & Raleigh).

by Anonymousreply 7301/11/2013

R31 = pri$$ pot alert!!!

by Anonymousreply 7401/11/2013

I was surprised to hear this happened in New Bern. New Bern is nice. The eastern part of the state is home to a lot of northern retirees. My folks (from Long Island) lived in Washington (not far away) and it was lovely. But I only visited.

by Anonymousreply 7501/11/2013

Austin is Texas, honey. Or at least it's what Texas should be - multicultural, liberal cowboy heaven.

by Anonymousreply 7601/11/2013

please, r71. Bucks County is probably the highest concentration of gays in any county in PA.

by Anonymousreply 7701/11/2013

[quote] Oh I think we have a homohobic gay person here...

Don't be so sure, R70. Quite a few pretenders today, on other threads, who think claiming to be gay will add credibilty to their posts. Caught one on trolldar also claiming to be a straight woman.

by Anonymousreply 7801/11/2013

Safe in NYC?

I suggest you don't stand too close to the subway tracks.

by Anonymousreply 8001/11/2013

DL's favorite he-man author, Nicholas Sparks, lives in the Trent Woods subdivision.

by Anonymousreply 8101/11/2013

[quote]In North Carolina, Asheville is very gay-friendly, as is the Research Triangle (Chapel Hill, Durham & Raleigh).

A colleague of mine who works remotely lives in Asheville and loves it. She's a self-proclaimed lesbian separatist who makes Nan Michiganwomyn look like Phyllis Schlafly.

by Anonymousreply 8201/11/2013

And yeah I realize there are communities within even rabid red states that are gay friendly...

by Anonymousreply 8401/11/2013

R79, NYC and Nabtucket MA

by Anonymousreply 8501/11/2013

Not many charlie. A few.

by Anonymousreply 8601/11/2013

R27= the DL equivalent of te Phelps family.

by Anonymousreply 8701/11/2013

Christ people, get off Charlie's junk and focus on the story. If you want to bash Charlie, make a thread on it. Focus!

by Anonymousreply 8801/11/2013

r91 YOU are the one who needs to get over it.

It's incredibly offensive. It's the work of an addled brain. It should be publicized if only to shine light on it to watch the roaches scurry away.

by Anonymousreply 9201/11/2013

Honestly, I can't believe I'm saying this, but I see charlie's point.

Regardless of how jealous of or annoyed people are about him, it seems a pretty basic point:

If you are fortunate enough to have a choice, why would you not consider how GLBT friendly a place is before you decide to live there?

It reads like some of you are responding more to the poster than the position.

by Anonymousreply 9401/11/2013

Some of the Yelp reviews are hilarious! My favorites so far:

"I didn't want to order shellfish, because the Bible strictly forbids eating any of that, but the whole entire menu is filled with Satan's Crustaceans!"

"Come for the crab cakes! Stay for the intolerance and poor spelling!"

"Cunt."

by Anonymousreply 9601/11/2013

ferchristsake people!

You stick your finger down your throat and start thrashing around on the floor of the restaurant screaming you've been poisoned!!

Try to get some on the owner's shoes,if possible.

It'll cost the restaurant more for cleaning than what the meal cost after they made sure you'd paid with your filthy gay dollars.

Carry your upchucking on out into the street the more thrashing and retching the better.

by Anonymousreply 9701/11/2013

Good idea, r97!

by Anonymousreply 9801/11/2013

There is no "fair" in what the asshole did. Period.

by Anonymousreply 10001/11/2013

[quote]I will never live in any of those hell hole states- ever.

Didn't Charlie grow up in a state that had sodomy laws on the books?

Didn't Charlie grow up in a state that didn't have marriage equality for gays for many, many decades of his life?

Didn't Charlie grow up in an area where gay bars were raided by police on a regular basis?

Maybe he's getting senile and can't remember what it was like.

by Anonymousreply 10101/11/2013

r41, Martin Luther King? Really?

When gay people in Texas start forcing legal change by protest then you can compare yourself to Dr. King.

And for the record, for all of the civil rights protests, the South had to be integrated by force, from the North.

And while you dismiss the civil rights advances on other states, for gay people New York and California were transformed by people moving to those states to shift the political balance and make change.

by Anonymousreply 10201/11/2013

A whole gaggle of gays should go in there and hand him a note...

Jesus loves you, but everyone else thinks you're an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 10301/12/2013

They have a delish buffet served on Sundays all you can eat $3.69 I always double up on the fried hush puppies and sneak a napkin full in my jacket

by Anonymousreply 10401/12/2013

I'm guessing that bread pudding isn't on the menu.

by Anonymousreply 10501/12/2013

Is r106 for real? If so, you're a moron!

by Anonymousreply 10701/12/2013

Jesus doesn't give a fuck if someone is gay. Period.

by Anonymousreply 10801/12/2013

Here cunts have at her

by Anonymousreply 11001/12/2013

Why would they pay to eat clams when they have their own?

by Anonymousreply 11401/12/2013

They look pretty and normal. Glad some lesbians like this is in the news, even if they are complaining. Frankly the guy deserves to get called out.

I have noticed when I've traveled to the coastal areas of NC (I'm from the triangle) I have met some ignorant people. I've met tons of wonderful people there too, but it just stood out compared to the rest of NC. Too bad, because it's a beautiful, affordable place to vacation.

by Anonymousreply 11501/12/2013

I wonder how being a lesbian supposed "ruined" his daughter's life?

He phrases it like it made her join a lesbian gang and got killed in the crossfire (stray bread pudding?).

But my suspicion is it means she's alive and well, just not talking to her dumbass father.

by Anonymousreply 11601/12/2013

R112, I was with you for awhile, but your obnoxious name calling makes you nothing more than an illiterate, faggoty cunt.

See what I did there?

NOW SHUT THE FUCK UP.

by Anonymousreply 11701/12/2013

Just how did they know it was a lesbian couple? A lot of women go out to lunch together. Did they just make a lucky guess or something?

by Anonymousreply 11801/12/2013

R118, apparently he caught them kissing after they exited. They say they just held hands.

Either way, the fact that they did it after they left (outside the restaurant) makes it worse, he may have suspected from the way they interacted in the restaurant they were gay, and followed them out. Creepy.

by Anonymousreply 11901/12/2013

[quote] P.S. my daughter also was gay. It destroy her life and my grandson.

Judging from his arrogance, I truly believe HE destroyed his own daughter's life and his grandson's.

by Anonymousreply 12001/12/2013

[quote]See what I did there?

Yeah. Someone pissed you off enough that you started calling some names, r117.

Meh. It happens. Sometimes it's justified, other times it's not. In the case of gays looking down their noses at other gay and lesbian people for arbitrary reasons of facile, regional snobbery, I think it's justified...or if not justifiable, at least understandable.

If the names bother you so much, start by not using them yourself. I'll try to do the same. You're probably right, thx.

by Anonymousreply 12101/12/2013

[quote] I think we will probably get along without you here in Texas.

I think there's no question we feel the same way about states like TX given the opportunity, though I wouldn't describe it as "getting along," but more like cured of a cancerous brain tumor.

by Anonymousreply 12201/12/2013

Damn

by Anonymousreply 12301/12/2013

With a $3.99 All-You-Can-Eat Buffet you'd think he'd be quite accustomed to seeing herds of lesbians trundling through his restaurant on a daily basis.

by Anonymousreply 12401/12/2013

r95, I'm not talking about it as a political statement, but a lifestyle choice.

Charlie seems to be taking it to an extreme political position (as is his right).

Every GLBT person is different; what they've been through, how they came out, where they are in their lives.

Some of the replies here indicated which areas are gay-friendly prove the point: obviously they've had to think about it.

When an area is that anti-tolerance in general, it just makes sense that some people would decide that they can't or don't want to face the kind of discrimination described in the article.

As to the role model issue, I think the internet has changed the outlook for queer teens a lot.

I'm certainly not looking down at any minority who decides to live there, but that doesn't mean I'm not curious about the reasons.

by Anonymousreply 12501/12/2013

What he needs to be handed is a good swift kick in the sack.

by Anonymousreply 12601/12/2013

True fact, but no Southerner will believe it. In 1963, Yankees were 2.6 times more likely to support integration than Southerners.

by Anonymousreply 12801/12/2013

And yet, r128, there were STILL Southerners who supported equality and Northerners who didn't. If you were interested in stigmatizing prejudice, and not just in perpetuating regional snobbery, you'd know that.

A pic from the noble North:

by Anonymousreply 12901/12/2013

Nobody argued that all Southerners were evil R129, so that's a straw man.

by Anonymousreply 13001/12/2013

Er, hardly a strawman if you say "no Southerner will believe it.."

Most Southerners are quite aware of the nation's racist past, and the region's role in it. Judging from the comments on this thread--protests in the South had nothing to do with the civil rights movement? it was all well-meaning whites from the North who fought the battles of the civil rights movement?--one might reasonably wonder if they know MORE.

I've certainly never heard progressive Southerners try to exculpate their history or doff racism off on another region, as if that;s the only place racism resides, and "progressive" Northerners make it a habit without thought. Revolting.

by Anonymousreply 13101/12/2013

Yeah i know R101, but it ain't like that now Blanch! There is choice. And in 1975 I started a gay student union at my college in the Northeast that is flour flourishing today. Do tell me about it!

By the way- no coincidence why most Fortune 500 companies are not headquartered in the South. They like to maximize human potential by not excluding large part of the talent pool.

This too R101 is a phenomenon of the last 20 years. States like NC and TX hurt themselves with their regressive politics.

by Anonymousreply 13201/12/2013

Oh, dipshit, charlie. Fortune 500 companies are quite happy to exploit workers in slavelike conditions in third world shitholes with political climates that make the reign of Saddam Hussein look like a boyscout campfire singalong.

If a lot of corporations are in regions outside the south, it has to do with the historic patterns of urbanization and industrialization in our country, not corporate bosses' love of equality and their desire for everyone to join hands and sing kumbaya. Holy shit, you're a ditz.

by Anonymousreply 13301/12/2013

[quote]a phenomenon of the last 20 years

And sun-belt states like NC and TX have actually seen enormous growth over the past 20 years btw, so your argument doesn't even make sense.

by Anonymousreply 13401/12/2013

charlie, in this thread you are losing.

by Anonymousreply 13501/13/2013

More?

by Anonymousreply 13601/13/2013

What's the best thing about North Carolina?

The road out of it!

by Anonymousreply 13701/13/2013

How can we spread the word about this? Vacation time is approaching, and this business owner needs to experience the negative economic repercussions his blatant bigotry deserves.

by Anonymousreply 13803/07/2013

At least he said "gay." in SC, he would have said "sinners."

by Anonymousreply 13903/07/2013

Now see, she should have refused their business, if that's the way she felt...they don't have public accomodations laws in North Carolina, so there wasn't a legal problem.

by Anonymousreply 14003/07/2013

The owner is male.

by Anonymousreply 14103/07/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!