Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Daniel Day Lewis or Meryl Streep. Who would get top billing if they starred in a movie together?

Let's say Daniel Day Lewis and Meryl Streep decided to do a movie together.

And everything was equal. Screen time, number of lines was 50-50.

Who would get top billing?

Daniel Day Lewis does not accept second billing for any movie. He turned down Shakespeare in Love because he refused to be second to Julia Roberts in billing.

However Meryl Streep, what can you say. She has done movies in the past where she has played supporting roles and accepted second or even third billing.

But if it was a movie were everything was equal.

This would be tough. Streep or Lewis. Who would be billed first?

by Anonymousreply 16312/26/2013

They would be billed together, but Meryl's name would be raised slightly higher than Daniel's, who would come before hers - left to right.

by Anonymousreply 101/10/2013

I don't care. I'm so tired of the "DDL method" bullshit. Would only answer to Mr. President on the set, stayed in character for months, etc. Any 'good' actor could do that. A great actor has the ability to work whenever it's required and be personable and respectful when the cameras are off. I know DDL will win another Oscar, but he certainly isn't anywhere near the caliber of Ms. Streep. Fuck him.

by Anonymousreply 201/10/2013

You mean how they did it on Laverne and Shirley?

by Anonymousreply 301/10/2013

DDL because he's a guy.

by Anonymousreply 401/10/2013

What does Julia Roberts have to do with "Shakespeare in Love"?

by Anonymousreply 501/10/2013

[quote] DDL because he's a guy.

That is DDL way of thinking, which is why he turned down a 'Julia Roberts' film.

He doesn't accept second billing to anyone.

by Anonymousreply 601/10/2013

R3 Which is similar to Ted Danson/Shelley Long on "Cheers" and the current incarnation of "2.5 Men" with Kutcher and Cryer.

by Anonymousreply 701/10/2013

[quote] What does Julia Roberts have to do with "Shakespeare in Love"?

She was actually suppose to star in Shakespeare in Love, back in 1990s.

She had a fling with DDL, while they met to discuss the film. However DDL didn't want to put his career on the line to be involved in a 'Julia Roberts' movie and bowed out.

Julia and Jason Patric had a huge blow-out in front of Jasmine Guy's house

Jason screamed "I know you fucked him"

To which Julia replied "I can fuck anyone I want!"

Later Jason had an affair with DDL ex Isabelle Hubert, so they both could commiserate with being cheated on by Julia and DDL

by Anonymousreply 801/10/2013

They had a huge problem with this for the film OUTRSGEOUS FORTUNE. Neither Shelley Long nor Bette Midler would agree to second billing.

That set must have been a nightmare. Those were two of the most ego-driven, insecure women in Hollywood, at the height of their careers.

These days, of course, Long is thankful to accept "Special Guest Star" billing... when she can even get it!

by Anonymousreply 901/10/2013

Daniel would get top billing

Meryl is a very accomplished actress but I do not get the sense that she has a huge over inflated ego. She comes across as very humble if not a bit loopy in all of the interviews I have seen.

I would suspect that Meryl would gladly give Daniel top billing to keep everyone happy and the opportunity to work with him.

Meryl has accomplished so much, I doubt she would let her pride get in the way of her craft. She truly is an actor first and a multi-award wining celebrity second.

by Anonymousreply 1001/10/2013

I think Meryl is more of a top.

by Anonymousreply 1101/10/2013

OMFG!!!!!

Where's the Meryl Loon?

by Anonymousreply 1201/10/2013

[quote]in front of Jasmine Guy's house

I'm so grateful you included that detail.

by Anonymousreply 1301/10/2013

I'm waiting for Streep Troll to weigh in.

by Anonymousreply 1401/10/2013

[quote] in front of Jasmine Guy's house

That was a DL legend being in front of Jasmine Guy's house.

by Anonymousreply 1501/10/2013

R1 is right.

by Anonymousreply 1601/10/2013

[quote] They would be billed together, but Meryl's name would be raised slightly higher than Daniel's, who would come before hers - left to right.

How would they handle the end credits. Somebody's name has to go first?

by Anonymousreply 1701/10/2013

They'd both be billed below Anne Hathaway, even if she isn't in the movie.

by Anonymousreply 1801/10/2013

Has Meryl ever been a dick over billing?

Streep Troll, make yourself useful!

by Anonymousreply 1901/10/2013

In DEATH BECOMES HER, Meryl was billed THIRD!!!! I bet they didn't tell her that when they got her to sign the contract!

by Anonymousreply 2001/10/2013

Meryl desperately wanted to play Miss Keaton in Remains of the Day. I think she would have even accepted second billing to Anthony Hopkins.

But alas Emma Thompson was white hot back then and got the part and not Meryl.

Meryl was pretty pissed and fired her agents as a result.

by Anonymousreply 2101/10/2013

I voted for Meryl because she's an actual box office star and DDL has never opened a movie on his own name. However, people are probably correct that Meryl would take second billing if his highness insisted on taking top billing. What an ass.

by Anonymousreply 2201/10/2013

Hopkins would've been first billed in RotD no matter what.

by Anonymousreply 2301/10/2013

M.LOOOOOOOOOOOOON!

WHERE ARE YOU???????

by Anonymousreply 2401/10/2013

I am sure that Meryl wouldn't give a flying fuck about top billing if she were surrounded by professionals and had a decent script to work from.

That is why I voted for Daniel Day Lewis in the poll.

by Anonymousreply 2501/10/2013

Billing should read:

Click Click Click

AND

Click Click Click CLICK

IN

(Insert title of major motion picture)

by Anonymousreply 2601/10/2013

What if Justin Bieber were in the same movie?

by Anonymousreply 2701/10/2013

I can guarantee you that Meryl would be more than happy to have Daniel Day Lewis on top of her.

by Anonymousreply 2801/10/2013

Sally Field should have had top billing for Lincoln!

by Anonymousreply 2901/10/2013

This is a weird coincidence. I was going to start a similar thread about who would get top billing if Meryl Streep and Shane Klingensmith did a movie together.

by Anonymousreply 3001/10/2013

Is that the rubber face? You know, Sophie Julia Thatcher Kramer something?

She can go first.

by Anonymousreply 3101/10/2013

Coming soon to theaters everywhere:

Justin Bieber

Meryl Streep

"Death Becomes Him"

by Anonymousreply 3201/10/2013

Trick question. Daniel Day-Lewis does movies directed by people like Scorsese, Spielberg and P.T. Anderson.

Streep prefers to work with people like David Frankel, Phyllida Lloyd and Nancy Meyers.

You'll see Quentin Tarantino and Spike Lee team up on a buddy comedy before Streep and Day-Lewis agree on project.

by Anonymousreply 3301/10/2013

[quote]Meryl... comes across as very humble if not a bit loopy in all of the interviews I have seen.

It's called acting, dear.

by Anonymousreply 3401/10/2013

Meryl first. Daniel Day Lewis doesn't have that type of acclaim nor power. He would give his left nut to work with the best actress alive. She looks good on a resume.

by Anonymousreply 3501/10/2013

I think it depends on whether Adam Sandler is in the film.

by Anonymousreply 3601/10/2013

[quote]Meryl... comes across as very humble if not a bit loopy in all of the interviews I have seen.

She is the sweetest woman you could ever meet. I know people who went up to her who were fans. One wanted a photo with her, and Meryl wouldn't leave them until she saw the photo to make sure they both were in frame together. I honestly think the woman would have taken the photo with her own camera if my friend's wasn't working, and would mail the shot to her.

I saw a very young girl (a fan) go up to her and burst into tears. Meryl took her aside, bent down and calmed her down. This was a year ago. It was at a film premiere. After the film there was an after party. The girl was there, and Meryl went up to her. They spoke for more than a half hour. She gives off a warm motherly vibe.

Meryl knows how talented she is. She doesn't give a shit. Remember, this is a woman who has done films that were beneath her. "She-Devil" anyone? Even a film like "Death Becomes Her" was risky. She was already an Oscar-winner. She likes what she likes.

Her BFF for 30 years is Tracey Ullman. Nuff said.

by Anonymousreply 3701/10/2013

I highly doubt Daniel Day Lewis is worried about what will look good on his "resume."

by Anonymousreply 3801/10/2013

Meryl has taken billing below other stars, at least male ones, when their parts were more significant. So it would prob. depend on whose role was most significant.

However, it really bugged the shit out of me when Meryl and Leo each got higher billing than Diane Keaton in Marvin's Room. Keaton was the star.

by Anonymousreply 3901/10/2013

Well, you all summoned me, and HERE I AM!

Several posters have already given the right answer: Meryl has box office clout, and can open a film. DDL can't, unless it's a Spielberg film, and let's be honest, not even the Spielberg name opened 'Lincoln'. Abraham Lincoln himself opened that film.

Meryl Streep would be billed FIRST, Daniel Day-Lewis second. Even DDL knows Meryl is in a different league entirely, both for talent AND iconic status within the industry, and the world at large.

He would know his place. This being said, I don't think he would do a film with her. I don't dislike him, and I agree he is very talented; but I get the feeling he is a bit territorial. Insecure. He treated Adjani like shit, and generally seems to have an odd relationship with women. He seems indifferent to strong or talented women. Has he ever done an interesting film with a strong woman role opposite his? His female costars were Cameron Diaz, Winona Ryder, Madeleine Stowe. And he agreed to do 'Nine'... that tells you all you need to know.

Secondly, as for the billing thing, let's not forget: Goldie Hawn is a close friend of Meryl's. The reason Meryl agreed to third billing in 'Death Becomes Her' may well have to do with that.

She is not close friends with DDL, though.

As for Meryl being difficult: has only happened twice, with 'Remains of the Day' and during production of 'It's Complicated', where she had the cinematographer fired.

Finally, r39: Streep was as much the star of that film as Diane Keaton. As for overall fame, she's long eclipsed Keaton, so I don't know what you're talking about.

In any case, aren't we all looking forward to MERYL STREEP handing DDL his third Oscar in a few weeks' time? Yes, we are!

History in the making, with Meryl front and center, as it should be. ALWAYS.

*Kisses*

by Anonymousreply 4001/11/2013

[quote] I highly doubt Daniel Day Lewis is worried about what will look good on his "resume."

Then why did he turn down Shakespeare in Love opposite Julia Roberts?

by Anonymousreply 4101/11/2013

Because r41 Julia Roberts can't act AND it was 15 years ago. A lot has happened for him since then.

by Anonymousreply 4201/11/2013

It doesn't matter who gets top billing. First billing and second billing are exactly the same. No difference.

by Anonymousreply 4301/11/2013

[quote]In DEATH BECOMES HER, Meryl was billed THIRD!!!! I bet they didn't tell her that when they got her to sign the contract!

That's not true. Streep was billed first, from left to right. You could argue that second billing was between Hawn and Willis. Hawn's name was on the same level as Streep's, but Willis was betwixt them albeit on a lower level.

See here:

by Anonymousreply 4401/11/2013

I'm pretty sure M was billed first on the movie POSTER, but last during the actual opening credits...but I could be wrong. Their way of making things "equitable" between M and Goldie.

by Anonymousreply 4501/11/2013

I think Day Lewis would be billed first. In Hollywood, much like real life, "it's a man's world." (with no disrespect to the Street troll, whose "entrance" is the best thing so far about this thread!)

I am reminded of an amusing anecdote in Garson Kanin's (who?? yes, I'm old) book "Tracy and Hepburn." Can't remember the anecdote word for word but something like, Kanin chided his friend Spencer Tracy about the billing for "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner", asking why Tracy was billed first before his close personal friend Katherine Hepburn. When asked, Tracy stared blankly. Kanin repeated the question, saying, "well, she's a woman: "'Ladies first'", right?

And Tracy said (something like) "this is a movie, chowderhead. Not a lifeboat."

Hee-hee! I've always remembered that quote. Of course, a lot has come out since that book?(70s?) about Tracy, hasn't it?)

Would appreciate if any other oldsters remember more of this anecdote/opinions, TIA.

by Anonymousreply 4601/11/2013

R2, what is your problem? Why do you care how he works, or Streep for that matter? More important, what do you really know. Free floating anger?

by Anonymousreply 4701/11/2013

They are the two best actors of the last 30 years and will have 3 Oscars apiece. They are both professions and generous.

They don't give a shit. Why would you?

by Anonymousreply 4801/11/2013

I love the "they wouldn't give a shit" troll !

It's the same kind of troll who insisted Meryl 'gives no shit about winning', last year. Turns out she DID give a shit, hon.

She NEVER wanted Viola to win.

Your 'peace out' attitude is very misplaced.

Meryl is the Hillary Clinton to DDL's Obama, in terms of seniority.

Why is it always assumed women 'don't really want it'... they are 'cool with taking the back seat'?

Meryl has got 17 nominations under her belt, DDL has 5. Meryl has been a box office juggernaut, DDL has not.

Why ever should she agree to second billing?

And r46, you are wrong: it's a man's world, but not a monolithic obe. It's a world that pats itself on the back by making rare allowances for uniquely powerful women. Meryl is not Jessica Lange. She is the reigning Queen of Hollywood, with a very unusual trajectory, and she can demand first billing any time she wants - and expect implementation.

by Anonymousreply 4901/11/2013

Meryl Streep, in her Protestant way, is stuck on words; she flashes clever accents as a mask for her deeper failures. (And she cannot deliver a Jewish line; she destroyed Nora Ephron’s snappy dialogue in Hearburn.) Streep’s work doesn’t travel. Try dubbing her for movie houses in India: there’d be nothing left, just that bony, earnest horse face moving its lips. Imagine, on the other hand, lesser technicians like Hedy Lammarr, Rita Hayworth, Lana Turner: these women have an international and universal appeal, crossing the centuries. They would have been beautiful in Egypt, Greece, Rome, medieval Burgundy, or eighteenth-century Paris. Susan Hayward played Bathsheba. Try to picture Streep in a Bible epic! Streep is incapable of playing the great legendary or mythological roles. She has no elemental power, no smouldering sensuality.

by Anonymousreply 5001/11/2013

I agree that Meryl is all cerebral. She's like a cloying character actor, the scientist's idea of what art should be. All technique, no mystery, not art, no magic.

by Anonymousreply 5101/11/2013

Meryl would because she's older. Seniority rules.

by Anonymousreply 5201/11/2013

Why did she have the cinematographer fired? Shouldn't that have been the director's call?

by Anonymousreply 5301/11/2013

Nice try, r50.

Is that why she is revered in France & Germany, where they dub actors?

She's a living legend across the globe, has been for decades now.

And she was sensual in Out of Africa, Death Becomes Her, and French Lieutenant's Woman, each time displaying a different type of sensuality.

She really can do it all. Needless to say, freakshows such as you cannot handle a woman being this capable, respected, and powerful.

But what else is new.

by Anonymousreply 5401/11/2013

r53, because she has got some clout.

That's why.

She's not the first superstar who's had a cinematographer fired. He was not compatible with what they/she had in mind, so he was let go.

by Anonymousreply 5501/11/2013

Bless you, Meryl Loon. :)

by Anonymousreply 5601/11/2013

[quote]And she was sensual in Out of Africa, Death Becomes Her, and French Lieutenant's Woman, each time displaying a different type of sensuality.

Is that you Meryl? Only you could talk about there being 'different' types of sensuality. Spoken like a truly artless technician.

by Anonymousreply 5701/11/2013

I loathe Meryl Streep. She was good in Silkwood, but she began to take herself very seriously. I'm reacting to the horrendous overpraise she has received. She is a calculated actress, a victim of her own WASP culture. I find her totally unconvincing. She has no passion. She has no deep elemental vibration.

by Anonymousreply 5801/11/2013

Speak for yourself, r58.

by Anonymousreply 5901/11/2013

Streep troll R59! Sign your posts!

by Anonymousreply 6001/11/2013

Their names appear simultaneously, above the title. Day-Lewis is listed first, alphabetically. This neatly side-steps his refusal to be second-billed, without insulting Streep.

by Anonymousreply 6101/11/2013

[quote] They don't give a shit. Why would you?

Actually DDL does give a shit.

He turned down Shakespeare in Love because he refused to be billed second to Julia Roberts.

He doesn't take any role where he doesn't receive top billing.

by Anonymousreply 6201/11/2013

R61 then what about the end credits.

Someone has to go first

The credits on imdb are taken directly from the end credits on films.

by Anonymousreply 6301/11/2013

Isn't it interesting how effusive Meryl is in this article about what soundfs like the one and only DP on the film, John Toil. Who was fired?

by Anonymousreply 6401/11/2013

The Streep troll what do you know about went down with Meryl on Remains of the Day

She wound up firing her agents over that film, and she had a falling out with Mike Nichols (who produced the film)

BTW Meryl got top billing on Death Becomes Her

Whoever said she got third billing is wrong. Goldie was billed third, not Meryl.

by Anonymousreply 6501/11/2013

R52: In a "civilian" (real world) union shop, mainly. In Hollywood: not so much. Meryl Streep would probably be the first to tell you that roles dry up for women over 45, much less 50, much less 60. She's very lucky - and of course, very good.

Jobs for writers dry up in Hollywood when the writers, even men, get older. There may have been a threatened suit about this.

Jobs behind the scenes dry up, too; I used to be friends with a woman who at 43 was starting to see location manager, etc., jobs start drying up.

Sad but true. I do admit that Meryl Streep is famous and a great actress. Perhaps such a hypothetical billing situation as OP posited will depend if Day Lewis wins another Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 6601/11/2013

Day Lewis followed by Streep in the end credits. It's alphabetical. You do remember your ABCs, R63?

Yes, someone must go first. That when you resort to alphabetical listing. It's how ensemble casts are usually rendered, another example where multiple actors are considered equal.

by Anonymousreply 6701/11/2013

R67 if they go the alphabetical route, then the entire cast has to be listed in alphabetical order.

Can you name a movie where the two main stars where listed in alphabetical order?

by Anonymousreply 6801/11/2013

r66, those rules don't apply to Meryl. Because she is - Meryl. No woman has gone where she is going. And this 'man's world' KNOWS it, promotes it, and wants it that way. THEY TOO are in awe of her, and want to be a part of her story. Don't forget that.

r65: they chose Emma Thompson for the role,even though Streep wanted it. Thompson, of course, was white-hot at the time.

It was one of the very few times Meryl made a stink.

As for the DP of 'It's Complicated': I don't remember the details. It was a Brit, and he was let go very early during the production.

by Anonymousreply 6901/11/2013

Streep Troll we already know that. Do you know why, even with Mike Nichols producing, Meryl lost the part in Remains of the Day?

How long did the falling out last?

by Anonymousreply 7001/11/2013

There's a big difference between being billed second to Julia Roberts as opposed to Meryl Streep.

And no, I'm not a troll or a Meryl loon. I never even saw "The Help".

by Anonymousreply 7101/11/2013

Again, r70: Thompson was the hot new commodity in Hollywood, and was seen as a better fit, her being English and all.

Don't know how long their falling-out lasted, but obviously she worked with him again for 'Angels in America'. Co-starring Emma Thompson, btw.

by Anonymousreply 7201/11/2013

[quote]I'm pretty sure M was billed first on the movie POSTER, but last during the actual opening credits...but I could be wrong. Their way of making things "equitable" between M and Goldie.

OMG, you're right.

by Anonymousreply 7301/11/2013

R73 that list is based on 'Order of Appearance'

Goldie and Bruce had the first scenes in the movie, Meryl was featured about 10 minutes late.

by Anonymousreply 7401/11/2013

The first shot is Meryl's face in the discarded Playbill outside the theater and then her performance in Songbird! They cut to Goldie and Bruce's reactions later.

by Anonymousreply 7501/11/2013

Not true, R74. Did you watch the clip? Streep was first. After the "Broadway 1978" intro with the camera zooming onto a discarded Playbill of SONGBIRD, then we get a close-up of Streep in the production, as she begins singing "I See Me." Not until well into the song does the camera pan into the audience and we see Hawn and Willis.

by Anonymousreply 7601/11/2013

Why are people saying DDL won't ever take second billing? He received second billing after Leo for Gangs of New York.

by Anonymousreply 7701/11/2013

Where is the 'Who gives a fuck about these two giant egos and who goes on top' selection?

by Anonymousreply 7801/11/2013

Well, who is getting top billing in the film of August: Osage County? Meryl or Julia?

by Anonymousreply 7901/11/2013

[quote]Well, who is getting top billing in the film of August: Osage County? Meryl or Julia?

Isn't that what entertainment attorneys spend their careers fighting about?

by Anonymousreply 8001/11/2013

Thompson got the part in Remains because she was better suited to it. Thompson can give the same performance over and over, and recycle the same mannerisms, but if there was one time she was ideally, perfectly cast, that was it.

Streep wouldn't have been good at all. Really dodged a bullet there. We would have been treated to her usual showboating and accent-flaunting instead of the emotional depth and resonance the part needed. Never in a million years could she have played the scene where Thompson tries to pry the book out of Hopkins' hands as well as Thompson.

by Anonymousreply 8101/11/2013

This thread is a strange one.

Day Lewis didn't do the Julia Roberts movie because while she might be a diverting one night stand, she's a shitty actress. He's weird but he's no fool when it comes to his work.

Despite Streep's disappointment, Thompson was probably a better choice than for RotD. That in no way implies that Streep would have fucked it up - which she never does and would not have then.

Taste differs, people may like Streep's work or not but I think it's bullshit to attack her as a "bad" actress. She's a remarkably good actress.

First billing in the imaginary Streep/Day Lewis flick goes to Streep. She's a Hollywood star and Hollywood (for good or ill) rules the movie business. If Day Lewis didn't want to settle for second, he would then be free to fuck off back to his cobbler's bench. I like the man's work but in terms of *power* which is what the billing fights are always about - Streep wins.

by Anonymousreply 8201/11/2013

Quit invoking The Streep Troll! I'd suggest we move to discussing Bette Midler but a few bitter queens always drag it down with "cunt cunt cunt" almost immediately.

Someone else, please! A Dianne Wiest thread? A "what really happened with Mia Farrow/Dory Previn" discussion, or even "if Butterfly McQueen was alive now, what TV show would she be great in?"

STOP THE STREEP DISCUSSIONS NOW!

by Anonymousreply 8301/11/2013

[quote]Daniel Day Lewis does not accept second billing for any movie.

I'm pretty sure he accepted it for "Gangs of New York" because Leonardo DiCaprio is a much bigger name and you'll notice that Leo rarely accepts second billing for any movie. Check any movie Leo did post-Titanic, and unless it was in a supporting role, his name comes first.

by Anonymousreply 8401/11/2013

Leo was billed third for Django, wasn't he? Golden boy's slipping.

by Anonymousreply 8501/11/2013

[quote][R67] if they go the alphabetical route, then the entire cast has to be listed in alphabetical order.

Why?

by Anonymousreply 8601/11/2013

GANGS OF NEW YORK poster

Note that DiCaprio comes before Day-Lewis.

by Anonymousreply 8701/11/2013

This is such an inane thread. People wasting precious minutes of life arguing about who is credited where and what it must mean. My god, has datalounge come to THIS?!!!

by Anonymousreply 8801/11/2013

R85, isn't Leo a supporting player in that movie? I think the OP's question refers to what happens when you have two LEAD parts in a movie and who comes first a in a situation like that.

by Anonymousreply 8901/11/2013

Whose shit should I eat first Meryl's or DDL's?

by Anonymousreply 9001/11/2013

Thank you, r82.

by Anonymousreply 9101/11/2013

I have nothing but respect for an actor who refused to work with Julia Roberts in "Shakespeare in Love". She would have been terrible in the part, she can't do accents or historical roles, and even then she would have been unbelievable as a youthful virgin.

And if the producers insisted on giving Roberts top billing, that might be a sign than it was due to become a Julia Roberts Vehicle - and therefore a disaster. Since he's willing to accept second billing when appropriate, I think we should give him a pass for this one. If he'd played nice, "SOL" would have been a disaster.

by Anonymousreply 9201/11/2013

[quote] Meryl is the Hillary Clinton to DDL's Obama, in terms of seniority.

Hmmm, strange comparison if you're trying to elevate Streep over Day Lewis. Hillary Clinton works FOR Barack Obama, who kicked her ass in the 2008 primaries.

by Anonymousreply 9301/11/2013

I would rather see Meryl Streep work with Robert Downey, Jr. or Emma Stone. Do you know what Meryl's next project is, Streep troll?

by Anonymousreply 9401/12/2013

who cares? really should have been an option.

by Anonymousreply 9501/12/2013

[quote]Hillary Clinton works FOR Barack Obama, who kicked her ass in the 2008 primaries.

He edged her out by a small margin actually, but let's not rehash that again.

by Anonymousreply 9601/12/2013

Re: who gives a fuck, 'the narcissism of small differences' at such prominent levels is amusing.

Seem to recall reading about such niceties concerning big movies in the Seventies: McQueen and Newman, Newman and Redford, Redford and Hoffman.

Days, weeks, spent in negotiating credit placement. Like it was the difference between winning gold or silver.

by Anonymousreply 9701/12/2013

Streep Troll

Would Meryl have been better than Emma Thompson in Remains of the Day?

This might be one role where someone else would have been better at a part than Saint Meryl!

by Anonymousreply 9801/12/2013

"Gangs of New York" of an exception. That was DDL first film after a five year absence.

That is probably the first and last time he would ever take second billing. He might take second billing to a man, in certain circumstances, but never to a woman!

Hence DDL being billed BEFORE Cameron Diaz!

by Anonymousreply 9901/12/2013

But he had to take second billing to Leo, R99. Leo rarely takes second billing to anyone.

by Anonymousreply 10001/12/2013

R99, Orville the taxidermied cat-copter should get billed over Cameron Diaz.

by Anonymousreply 10101/12/2013

Meryl Streep, of course

What a question

by Anonymousreply 10201/12/2013

When a movie has two more or less equal leads played by two major stars, one has to come first. I'm sure if the right project of this type came along for Day-Lewis and Streep they wouldn't give a shit.

Because they are serious professionals. Among the very best in their industry. They don't sit home and worry about shit like this. Why would they?

by Anonymousreply 10301/12/2013

R103, maybe they do and maybe they don't. You don't know whether they do. The OP is right that these arguments do occur in Hollywood though, and there have been some famous examples over the years.

Jamie Foxx demanded that his name come before Colin Farrell's on "Miami Vice" even though they were co-leads and originally Farrell's was going to come first for alphabetical reasons. After Foxx won the Oscar, he said he felt entitled to come first.

And back in the old days Cary Grant reached a point where he would no longer allowed Katharine Hepburn to have first billing in their films together. He started out allowing it, but when he became a bigger star, he put a stop to it.

by Anonymousreply 10401/12/2013

r98, Meryl would have been different but equally good.

Really, there is no need to bash her, and call her 'Saint Meryl' so mockingly. What is wrong with revering a talented woman?

It is her perfect right to go after interesting parts.

In any case, Emma Thompson was exquisite in the film. And Meryl obviously agreed, for she made up with Nichols, and then co-starred with Thompson in his 'Angels of America' - earning raves for her rabbi & Ethel Rosenberg.

by Anonymousreply 10501/12/2013

On CDAN, people are guessing Meryl as the A++ actress who has slept with most of her male co-stars.

by Anonymousreply 10601/12/2013

Do they realize that Meryl has been married to the same man for the past 35 years, R106?

by Anonymousreply 10701/12/2013

I loathe the Streep Troll and I'm not a Meryl fan (which means I've loved many of her performances but not all).

But honestly? Streep would get too billing. DDL would be too much of a gentleman to contest that. She's been a movie star way way longer than he has, and she's an iconic American actor - we don't have many of those, actors who are iconic for the quality of their work. (Britain has many many more).

by Anonymousreply 10801/12/2013

R106, that's probably the very reason she has slept with all her costars.

by Anonymousreply 10901/12/2013

[quote]She's been a movie star way way longer than he has

Are you kidding? I guess you don't know much about film. DDL has been a big star since the 1980's. Meryl only became a big star in the late 70's and early 80's. She only has a few extra years on him in terms of prominence.

by Anonymousreply 11001/12/2013

OP/r8 You're making me more and more confused--first, by saying that Julia Roberts was in "Shakespeare In Love", and now by claiming Isabelle Huppert was DDL's ex (it was Isabelle Adjani). But which Isabelle did Jason Patrick have an affair with?!

by Anonymousreply 11101/12/2013

I would like to think they would flip a coin, all things being equal. Of the two, I think DDL is probably more high-maintenance since he works less and is Mr. Method actor. And I too am hoping MS returns to top directors. They tend, however, to build films around a male character, since they are men.

by Anonymousreply 11201/12/2013

r110 couldn't be more wrong.

DDL wasn't high-profile until his Oscar win in 1990. And he'd never carried a hit movie until 'The Last of the Mohicans' came out in 1992.

His highly respected supporting turns in the 80s were just that - highly respected. But he was absolutely not a star in those days.

Meryl Streep has a full 12 years of star seniority over DDL. She became a celebrity and icon in 1979.

Consider yourself corrected.

by Anonymousreply 11301/12/2013

R113, I agree with you on many things and have defended Meryl on other threads. This isn't about Meryl vs. Daniel. The reality is that DDL has been high-profile since at least 1986 when he was in "The Remains of the Day".

Meanwhile, Meryl was not really on the national radar until "Sophie's Choice" in 1982.

by Anonymousreply 11401/12/2013

Total bullshit, r114. 'Kramer vs. Kramer' was a hit movie, and the talk of that year. And Meryl its breakout star.

Fewer people saw 'Sophie's Choice' than 'KvK'.

Oh my.

And secondly: 'The Remains of the Day' is NOT from 1986. Nor was DDL ever in it.

If you mean 'A Room With A View': he was in it, but only had a supporting role. Which did NOT make him a star. Not even 'Unbearable Lightness of Being' made him a household name.

DDL became a household name with his Oscar win in 1990, but not a popular star before 1992.

And he's never been a box office magnet the way Meryl has been with 'Out of Africa', 'Prada' and 'Mamma Mia'. Those three films together eclipse DDL's combined box office. Decisively.

She is the much bigger star.

by Anonymousreply 11501/12/2013

Whoops - meant to say "A Room With a View".

I had just been talking about the other movie on another thread.

by Anonymousreply 11601/12/2013

r114 Are you fucking with us?

1. "The Remains of the Day" was released in 1993

2. Daniel Day Lewis wasn't in it;

3. Meryl Streep was put on the national radar when she starred in "Holocaust" and "The Deer Hunter" in 1978.

by Anonymousreply 11701/12/2013

'Room with a View' and 'Unberable Lightness' are arthouse films. So is 'My Left Foot'.

Those kind of films don't make you a household name. Never. Not even if they are successful within their parameters.

Without his Oscar, 'My Left Foot' on its own would have changed nothing for DDL.

Only Oscar and 'Mohicans' turned him into a star.

End of story.

by Anonymousreply 11801/12/2013

DDL has been an acting icon for those in the know ever since his performances in My Beautiful Laundrette and A Room with a View came out back to back.

by Anonymousreply 11901/12/2013

R117, I've already acknowledged I typed the wrong film. Give me a break. I was obviously referring to "A Room With A View". I had been talking about the other film on another thread.

by Anonymousreply 12001/12/2013

Yes, r119. But we are not discussing 'those in the know'.

We're discussing the unwashed masses.

Do keep up, or we'll file you under 'unwashed' yourself.

by Anonymousreply 12101/12/2013

(R2) So funny, in spite of the ridiculousness. Rebecca miller must be exceptionally tolerant. DDL sounds so self involved. Snore.

by Anonymousreply 12201/12/2013

My oh my, Streep troll. It's obvious why so many here think you're a festering cooze.

by Anonymousreply 12301/12/2013

Oh, but I've also got my supporters on DL.

Free speech is a drag, is it not?

*Kisses*

by Anonymousreply 12401/12/2013

R111 I stand corrected. Jason Patric hooked up with Isabelle Adjani.

I got the Isabelle's mixed up.

by Anonymousreply 12501/12/2013

Streep Troll when I said 'Saint Meryl' I meant it as a compliment, not a dig.

by Anonymousreply 12601/12/2013

Free speech can be a necessary challenge, yes. Your unbridled mental illness, on the other hand...

by Anonymousreply 12701/12/2013

(R19) lol!

by Anonymousreply 12801/12/2013

[quote]Jason Patric hooked up with Isabelle Adjani.

How so? Is there proof?

by Anonymousreply 12901/12/2013

[quote] Jason Patric hooked up with Isabelle Adjani. How so? Is there proof?

From the book Julia her Life

After Julia dumped Jason Patric

Patric almost immediately began an affair with the lovely french actress Isabelle Adjani, who had just come out of a five year relationship with Day-Lewis. She had borne him a son, earlier in the year and complained that Day-Lewis was with Julia when their son was born.

by Anonymousreply 13001/12/2013

btw does Daniel Day-Lewis owe Jasmine Guy an apology for being partly responsible for the huge blow-up between Julia and Jason in front of her house?

The gal needs her sleep, she doesn't need to be exposed to that type of arguing.

by Anonymousreply 13101/12/2013

When DDL wins his third best actor in a leading role Oscar in February, 60 percent of his nominations will have resulted in a win.

Meryl has won two best actress in a leading role Oscars and one best actress in a supporting role Oscar, and has been nominated 17 times.

DDL is eight years younger than Meryl.

by Anonymousreply 13201/12/2013

R132, I'm glad you mentioned that. People forget that Meryl has only won 2 Lead Actress Oscars.

She's got a long way to go before she beats the all-time record of 4 Lead Actress Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 13301/12/2013

Izzy should've made Danny put a ring on it before she popped out a kid.

by Anonymousreply 13401/12/2013

I would. I'd just pretend to hear the ghost of Daniel's father and the poor weak boy would disintegrate again just like when he did Hamlet. He's a very sensitive boy.

by Anonymousreply 13501/12/2013

Daniel: "Age before beauty."

Meryl: "Pearls before swine."

by Anonymousreply 13601/12/2013

I love the Towering Inferno poster - Steve McQueen is first, Paul Newman is second but higher, William Holden is third but lower than Steve McQueen and Faye Dunaway is fourth but lower than William Holden.

All above title of course.

by Anonymousreply 13701/12/2013

r137 it supposedly drove McQueen crazy that Newman ended up with the better role once things where finished.

by Anonymousreply 13801/12/2013

Eating shit makes me happier though!

by Anonymousreply 13901/12/2013

[quote] Only Oscar and 'Mohicans' turned him into a star.

Just when I think I have a handle on the Streep Troll's delusions, the bottomless pit of its fuckery reveals itself to be far deeper than I could ever guess, and I am completely surprised.

by Anonymousreply 14001/12/2013

If DDL does not accept second billing for any movie, OP has answered his own question.

THREAD CLOSED.

by Anonymousreply 14101/13/2013

But he has, r141.

THREAD OPEN.

by Anonymousreply 14201/13/2013

R141, did you not see the billing and poster above for "Gangs of New York"? I made that bitch take second billing!

by Anonymousreply 14301/13/2013

Leo is correct but could that just be because it was an obvious Leo vehicle?

by Anonymousreply 14401/13/2013

Leo was a much bigger star than DDL at that time, and probably still is. Frankly, Cameron Diaz was also a bigger star, but I don't know why Scorcese cast her. Maybe it was pressure from the studio to help recoup the budget.

by Anonymousreply 14501/13/2013

Meryl first.

I wouldn't be really interested in seeing a Daniel Day Lewis film. I'm probably the only one who thinks this way too.

by Anonymousreply 14601/13/2013

based on last night, Daniel first

by Anonymousreply 14701/14/2013

Honestly, who would take top billing over Leo? Streep, DDL, DeNiro, Joaquin Phoenix are actors. Brad Pitt, Tammy, Will Smith, Angelina Jolie, Julia and Clooney are movie stars. Leo is the only star who somehow manages (rightly or wrongly) to be considered both a serious actor and an A-list movie superstar at the same time. He's put in movies to deliver box office as well as gravitas. If he plays lead, he'll get top billing over every single, single, actor on earth. He appeals to and can deliver tweens, teens, fraus, men, oldies, gays, minorities, international … everyone.

by Anonymousreply 14801/15/2013

Still laughing at the idea of Di Craprio being considered a serious actor and being hired to deliver "gravitas."

by Anonymousreply 14901/15/2013

But you know its true, r149. He's both movie star and actor.

by Anonymousreply 15001/15/2013

Not a male, has no box office hits she's responsible for to speak of and winner of two Oscars (along with 2 Emmys, 5 Golden Globes and 1 SAG), Jessica Lange would be top billed even if she weren't in the movie.

by Anonymousreply 15101/15/2013

Leo and Diane Keaton haggled over second billing on Marvin's Room (Meryl being billed first)

Producers thought Diane would only be to happy to be in a movie!

When the dust settled Leo got second billing and Diane was reduced to third billing.

by Anonymousreply 15202/13/2013

[quote]However DDL didn't want to put his career on the line to be involved in a 'Julia Roberts' movie and bowed out.

Then he truly is a genius. She's a fucking hag.

by Anonymousreply 15302/13/2013

You're all talking like Remains of the Day was a Nichols picture. It was a Merchant Ivory film that Nichols was a co-producer on. Thompson was already part of the MI team on Howard's End, for which she won the Oscar. Meryl was fresh off She Devil, LOL, it was a different time and I can easily see how it happened. Thompson was absolutely the right choice, she is exceptional in the film. Streep probably just saw another chance for an Oscar win.

by Anonymousreply 15402/13/2013

r154, Meryl was fresh off a ten year run unlike any other in Hollywood history. Get some sleep, hon.

The reason why she lost out on the part is because Nichols made Jeremy Irons and Meryl read scenes, and decided they wouldn't have the right chemistry together. Yes, Irons and Streep were pencilled in for those two roles, and Nichols was supposed to direct, not just produce.

I believe he wanted to keep Streep for the part, but later on he abandoned his plans of being the director, and the project went to James Ivory instead, who brought Thompson along.

Thompson had NOT won her Oscar at that point, but Ivory wanted her anyway.

And the rest is history.

by Anonymousreply 15502/13/2013

Could someone please shit in my mouth?

by Anonymousreply 15602/13/2013

We could do the Hugh and Deb story!!!

by Anonymousreply 15702/13/2013

This is a bit off topic but amusing. Years ago we were showing "Good Will Hunting" on the airplane. Our inflight announcements used to always list 2 featured actors in the film, it didn't matter if there were 5 major stars, only 2 names were listed. Anyway, the purser announced the movie title featuring Ben Affleck and Matt Damon, not realizing Minnie Driver was on the flight. Well, Miss Driver didn't take it well and began making a scene, "I'm in that movie, too!" Most celebs try to be incognito and would be uncomfortable if one of their films was being shown but not Minnie.

by Anonymousreply 15802/13/2013

Is Meryl recovering from another subtle facelift? She has been MIA since November. I am not one to gossip, this is merely concern and she does not return my calls.

by Anonymousreply 15902/13/2013

Daniel isgracious and would be a gentleman and insist Meryl get top billing. He would then get "compensated" financially for his chivalrous gesture.

by Anonymousreply 16002/13/2013

didn't M attend her gay son-in-law's nude opening on Bway?

by Anonymousreply 16102/13/2013

I don't remember reading that M was there.

by Anonymousreply 16202/13/2013

Talking about Julia she took second billing BEHIND Meryl.

That has never happened, her second female billing to another female.

by Anonymousreply 16312/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.