Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Angela Lansbury vs. Patty Duke

Which of these two actresses do you think is most recognizable and famous to the general public and viewing audience today?

That is, which actress is best-known to the largest number of people in the American public and to those in other countries?

by Anonymousreply 10412/21/2013

Patty Duke 3 time Emmy and Oscar winning actress.

Angela Lansbury 3 time Oscar Loser and 18 time Emmy Loser.

by Anonymousreply 101/10/2013

Has it really come to this Datalounge?

by Anonymousreply 201/10/2013

R1, listing awards doesn't answer the question at hand.

Why do you think winning awards is the only measure of success anyway?

But if you are going to list awards, why did you leave out Angela's 5 Tony Awards and 6 Golden Globe Awards (one of which was for 'The Manchurian Candidate' in which she beat Patty Duke?)

by Anonymousreply 301/10/2013

It's just this one insane Angela Lansbury troll. She was foaming at the mouth on the Oscars Live Feed thread because she said that Lansbury deserved the Best Supporting Actress back in the day for "The Manchurian Candidate" instead of Patty Duke (who won it for "The Miracle Worker").

No one would agree with her assertion that Duke's performance will be entirely forgotten in years to come, and so she went completely nuts and started this poll.

by Anonymousreply 401/10/2013

R4, yes, I like Angela Lansbury, but you are being a bit of a drama queen with the rest of your post. As I explained above, many people think Angela Lansbury should have won the Oscar for "The Manchurian Candidate" (did you know she beat Patty Duke for the Golden Globe?)

But that's only a small part of the story. The point is that outside of DL and certain film buff circles, most people are more familiar with Lansbury than Duke and that Lansbury has had a far longer and broader career.

by Anonymousreply 501/10/2013

LOL r2

One is a five time Tony winning actress and three time Oscar nominee with one of the most successful TV series of all time, who radiates talent and that little something extra....let's call her a STAR.

The other is Patty Duke.

by Anonymousreply 601/10/2013

Lansbury, by a slim margin. Both are only known now for their TV work, and since Angela's is more recent, she wins by a hair.

by Anonymousreply 701/10/2013

[quote] The other is Patty Duke.

Who has three Emmys and an Oscar on her shelf.

The other is a 3 time Oscar loser and 18 time Emmy loser.

by Anonymousreply 801/10/2013

[quote]The other is a 3 time Oscar loser and 18 time Emmy loser.

1. Awards are largely irrelevant to this question.

2. If you want to make awards a part of the discussion, why do you keep leaving out Lansbury's 5 Tony Awards and 6 Golden Globe Awards?

by Anonymousreply 901/10/2013

You guys are just repeating the same posts over and over. Often word for word. What is the point?

by Anonymousreply 1001/10/2013

[quote] It's just this one insane Angela Lansbury troll.

Who lost her shit when no one agreed with her.

by Anonymousreply 1101/10/2013

You cannot have it both ways.

On the one hand extolling the virtues of Angie's 5 Tonys

Then on the other hand say Awards are largely irrelevant when it is pointed out that she is a 3 time Oscar loser and 18 time Emmy loser.

Pick one consistent narrative and stick with it!

by Anonymousreply 1201/10/2013

OP, if you're going to ask us to consider Dame Angela's Golden Globe awards, perhaps you should also ask us to consider her People's Choice Awards too.

by Anonymousreply 1301/10/2013

[quote] You guys are just repeating the same posts over and over. Often word for word.

You have just summarized all there is to summarize about Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 1401/10/2013

Well if you had asked, "Which one starred in the best instructional self-pleasuring video for elderly women?" there could be only one answer.

by Anonymousreply 1501/10/2013

[quote] Dame Angela

Actually Angie is not and never will be a Dame because she gave up her British citizenship.

Angie said one role she would have killed for was Notes on a Scandal.

by Anonymousreply 1601/10/2013

"It's a bit like... prancing!"

by Anonymousreply 1701/10/2013

R12, I am being consistent. I was saying that if the pro-Patty Duke supporter wants to keep listing awards, then Angela's full awards bio should be listed, too.

But the point is that it didn't matter that Angela Lansbury didn't win the Oscar for 'The Manchurian Candidate' because she went on to have a very long and successful career without it and has largely eclipsed Patty Duke in the eyes of the public and film history.

Angela Lansbury kind of made this point herself when she was interviewed on Larry King in 2004 - she said in some ways it was just as well she didn't win the Oscar and become too identified with only playing villains. That is why she ended up turning down the role of Nurse Ratched in "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest". She didn't want to be associated with playing only those type of roles.

She made the right decision and in the 1980's and 90's had one of the top-rated shows on t.v. Then she went on to sing the Oscar-winning song for "Beauty and the Beast" and recently won another Tony Award.

by Anonymousreply 1801/10/2013

If she is more famous OP why did she lose the screen version of Mame to Lucy?

by Anonymousreply 1901/10/2013

Clearly you all haven't seen Angela's latest:

by Anonymousreply 2001/10/2013

Btw, I will now step back from commenting on this thread for a while and allow others to evaluate the various arguments.

Thank-you to those who have participated in the poll. : )

by Anonymousreply 2101/10/2013

Angela Landsbury is Susan Lucci! WTF?

by Anonymousreply 2201/10/2013

This thread is pretty ridiculous, even by meager DL standards.

by Anonymousreply 2301/10/2013

[quote]That is why she ended up turning down the role of Nurse Ratched in "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest".

Uh, that was a HUGE miscalculation.

by Anonymousreply 2401/10/2013

[quote]Lansbury has had a far longer and broader career.

Of course she's had a longer career. She is 21 years older than Patty Duke.

by Anonymousreply 2501/10/2013

I'm grateful for the existence of this silly thread, R23, because it removes a massive hijack from the Oscars thread.

Thank you, everyone who has posted here!

by Anonymousreply 2601/10/2013

How would MAME have played if PATTY DUKE had gotten the lead instead of LUCY?

by Anonymousreply 2701/10/2013

Did Patty ever appear on MSW? I think not.

by Anonymousreply 2801/10/2013

Did Angela ever appear on The Patty Duke Show?

I think not.

by Anonymousreply 2901/10/2013

Some may say MSW was a haunting ground for has beens.

by Anonymousreply 3001/10/2013

My 7 ye old nephews know Angela Lansbury from "Bedknobs & Broomsticks" on dvd and as "Mrs Potts" in Beauty & the Beast"

Patty Duke? One that is was the name of some dog in a cartoon (Marmaduke?)..the other started laughing because I said `potty`

Says a lot about lasting future fame.

by Anonymousreply 3101/10/2013

[quote]Patty Duke? One that is was the name of some dog in a cartoon (Marmaduke?)..the other started laughing because I said `potty`

[quote]Says a lot about lasting future fame.

Says even more about drinking heavily while typing.

What sort of example are you setting for your children?

by Anonymousreply 3201/10/2013

At least my nephews aren`t fans of a crazy washed up has been like Potty Duke. They know who Angela Lansbury is and watch her quite often

by Anonymousreply 3301/10/2013

My 5 year old niece knows who Barney is but doesn't have a clue who Meryl Streep is ....

by Anonymousreply 3401/10/2013

Angela's 18 years on Murder She Wrote and five Tony Awards give her the edge. Patty hasn't done anything that kept her in people's living rooms once a week in decades.

by Anonymousreply 3501/10/2013

R34, your niece is a stupid little cunt.

by Anonymousreply 3601/10/2013

DL has hit bottom. OP, they must need to keep you busier in the Macy's ribbon department.

by Anonymousreply 3701/10/2013

Wonderful question.

Tune in next week when OP asks:

Pia Zadora vs. Lola Falana?

by Anonymousreply 3801/10/2013

Lola Falana, of course, but I will wait for the post..

by Anonymousreply 3901/10/2013

R35, I daresay that what Ms. Duke did in people's living rooms in the 60's as television's iconic cousins Patty & Cathy has endeared her to worldwide audiences far more than Ms. Lansbury's entire more-than-respectable oeuvre. Not to mention that Ms. Duke is considered by her peers to be a real "actor's actor" having also been elected the president of SAG. Her Oscar for The Miracle Worker is considered the finest performance by a teenaged actress ever committed to film and her three Emmy wins, especially My Sweet Charlie, are considered benchmark work in the television medium. Not to mention her turn as Neely O'Hara in Valley of the Dolls making her especially beloved by the gay community. She deserves another shot at film stardom (the Streep August:Osage casting being an especially bitter pill to swallow). Ms. Duke seemed poised for a movie comeback a few years ago with a featured role in Prelude to a Kiss and there was some buzz about a Supporting Actress nomination, but the film performed poorly and she reigned for years as the queen of TV movies. I only hope that some prescient fim producer gives her another opportunity.

by Anonymousreply 4001/10/2013

This is such a strange post/poll and I can't believe I am taking part in it, but, oh dear, here I am ...

Angela Lansbury ensured her place in the mainstream media with Murder, She Wrote. It's shown all over the world. There's a parody-aspect to it now that ensures its longevity.

by Anonymousreply 4101/11/2013

Lansbury is definitely better known.

THE MIRACLE WORKER is fondly remembered, but that's basically her whole legacy. Lansbury is a legendary Broadway star, had a long-running hit TV show with MURDER SHE WROTE, and has been in several fondly remembered and popular movies: THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE, GASLIGHT, BEAUTY & THE BEAST.

Lansbury's legacy is a lot of different things, Duke's legacy is one single film.

by Anonymousreply 4201/11/2013

Duke in MySweet Charlie is just as good as Angie in MC. Duke has done great things on Tv.

by Anonymousreply 4301/11/2013

Doesn't matter that Duke has done great things on TV. Lansbury was in people's homes once a week for nearly two decades. She's better known.

Patty, on the other hand, has the most fuckable son (MacKenzie).

by Anonymousreply 4401/11/2013

Thanks to all who have participated in the poll.

I have just taken a look at the current results and they show a pretty clear lead for one of the ladies. ; )

by Anonymousreply 4501/11/2013

It was a stupid poll, OP. It had nothing to do with your two points on the Oscars Live feed thread, which were (a) that Angela Lansbury deserved the Best Supporting Actress over Patty Duke, who won it, and that (b) THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE would be remembered longer than THE MIRACLE WORKER.

No one agreed with you regarding those two points. So you made up a third question that had nothing to do with them so you could now pretend to yourself you won those other two debates.

by Anonymousreply 4601/11/2013

R46, I think you are overreacting and reading too much into it. And a lot of people agreed with me on those two points, anyway. The Manchurian Candidate is better-remembered than The Miracle Worker. For one thing, it has already been re-made because it was so popular. On top of that the phrase 'Manchurian Candidate' has become part of popular culture and political lore.

The issue of who deserved to win is more subjective, and I never said everyone agrees one way or another. But there are many people who think Lansbury should have won, and since she beat Duke at the Golden Globes, those voters obviously thought she was better too!

If you prefer Patty Duke there is nothing wrong with that - so much of these things are subjective and come down to personal preferences. But this poll showed what I said all along - Lansbury is far better known and has had a much greater impact on the world of entertainment.

by Anonymousreply 4701/11/2013

Being famous or well known means nothing. Paris Hilton is famous. The quality of work that matters...

by Anonymousreply 4801/11/2013

"And a lot of people agreed with me on those two points, anyway."

No, that's not true. Look back at the thread.

by Anonymousreply 4901/11/2013

R49, I'm talking about in general - not just on that thread. There are discussions that have taken place outside that thread, you know. We've had them here on DL in the past, and you can find them all over the Internet, too.

by Anonymousreply 5001/11/2013

[quote]There are discussions that have taken place outside that thread, you know. We've had them here on DL in the past,

Anegla Lansbury vs. Patty Duke? I think not.

[quote] and you can find them all over the Internet, too.

I call shenanigans.

by Anonymousreply 5101/11/2013

R51, why would you think I would make that up?

Below please find a link to a discussion held here on this topic from September 2012:

by Anonymousreply 5201/11/2013

r50, I'm afraid your pants are indeed ablaze.

I've been on DL for more than ten years, and there has never to my knowledge been a Patty Duke vs. Angela Lansbury debate before. I would have remembered it had there been, given how bizarre the comparison is (as others on this thread have commented).

by Anonymousreply 5301/11/2013

And here is a blog discussing the Angela Lansbury vs. Patty Duke contest for the Oscar, with the blog arguing in Ms. Lansbury's favor as the most deserving winner:

by Anonymousreply 5401/11/2013

R53, I just posted it above. I assume you posted at the same time as I did and haven't seen it yet?

So I told the truth. : )

by Anonymousreply 5501/11/2013

Angela : "Tale as old as time..." Patty: " Wa-wa."

by Anonymousreply 5601/11/2013

more like... A hot dog makes her lodr control

by Anonymousreply 5701/11/2013

[quote]The Manchurian Candidate is better-remembered than The Miracle Worker. For one thing, it has already been re-made because it was so popular.

"The Miracle Worker" has been remade at least twice that I can recall.

by Anonymousreply 5801/11/2013

Patty Duke had her 15 minutes in 1962.

Angela Lansbury has been a star from 1942 up until today.

End of story.

by Anonymousreply 5901/11/2013

Thanks, Streep Troll. That's a good summation. : )

I don't want to take personal shots at Patty Duke, but I am surprised that some people didn't know that there have been previous threads & discussions on this subject (as I backed up above with links.)

by Anonymousreply 6001/11/2013

Oh, geezus. Streep Troll and Lansbury Troll are flattering each other.

by Anonymousreply 6101/11/2013

The thing is, most supporting actress winners are forgotten after a few years, unless they are big names like Meryl Streep or Jessica Lange.

And from that same time period... who remembers Miyoshi Umeki, Jo Van Fleet, Shirley Jones, or Lila Kedrova?

Nobody will remember Octavia Spencer or Jennifer Connelly in 50 years from now.

Patty Duke is no exception to that rule. The film may me remembered to some extent, because it is about Helen Keller. Keller is a name - Patty Duke is not.

Angela Lansbury was a massive television star, and truly FAMOUS. She will remain famous, as long as there are re-runs of her show.

Duke doesn't stand a chance against her.

by Anonymousreply 6201/11/2013

[quote]The Manchurian Candidate is better-remembered than The Miracle Worker. For one thing, it has already been re-made because it was so popular. On top of that the phrase 'Manchurian Candidate' has become part of popular culture and political lore.

You have no idea what you are talking about. "The Manchurian Candidate" is all but forgotten today. The remake was a flop, despite starring Denzel Washington & Meryl Streep. "The Miracle Worker" is considered a classic and has two Academy Award winning performances and is in regular rotation on Turner Classic Movies.

And please don't use Angela as a Broadway star either. She has won Tonys for the simple fact that she is Angela Lansbury and has endured and not for her craft. She lost the leads in the films of her two most successful shows "Mame" and "Sweeney Todd".

by Anonymousreply 6301/11/2013

[quote]Patty Duke is no exception to that rule. The film may me remembered to some extent, because it is about Helen Keller. Keller is a name - Patty Duke is not. Angela Lansbury was a massive television star, and truly FAMOUS. She will remain famous, as long as there are re-runs of her show.

"The Patty Duke Show" is rerun all the world too and is available on DVD. The theme song is in the TV Theme Song lexicon. Patty Duke is also a Best Selling author and mental health advocate. They have both had fabulous careers and both should be appreciated.

by Anonymousreply 6401/11/2013

r64 totally agree, these are two different woman and I don't really understand the need to compare them. OP get over it, Patty Duke won the Oscar she deserved it and the acting community agreed. As far as the "The Manchurian Candidate" vs "The Miracle Worker", OP you have to be out of the loop all Junior High Schools in the USA show "The Miracle Worker" in their English classes. R40 I agree Patty should have been given the role in "August: Osage County" and hopefully one day she will be given that role that adults and teenagers and even young nieces and nephews will know who Patty Duke is :-)

by Anonymousreply 6501/11/2013

Now OP if you want to do a Sally Field vs Patty Duke poll that would be comparing apple to apples, not apples to oranges, like your Angela vs. Patty poll

by Anonymousreply 6601/11/2013

R63 & R65, you are mistaken, as the above poll demonstrates and as other websites demonstrate. Lansbury is much better-known than Duke. Don't take it personally. Lansbury has just had a much longer and more lasting impact on film and television than Duke. That happens sometimes.

Lansbury easily won this poll, and you should respect the verdict of the voters.

by Anonymousreply 6701/11/2013

OP But the bottom line is that Patty Duke has the Oscar that Angela Lansbury wanted.....and as I said the academy members voted for Patty and NOT Angela....

by Anonymousreply 6801/11/2013

R68, so what? Oscars aren't everything. Lansbury has had the more successful career on the whole and will be better-remembered. And both ladies have gotten over their rivalry and moved on - you seem to be the one who is having trouble letting it go.

by Anonymousreply 6901/11/2013

no OP I think that everyone reading and posting on this thread think that it is YOU who wont get over the fact that Patty won. And at no time was there a rivalry that I remembered between the two women. But it is funny that Angela never had Patty on her show????

by Anonymousreply 7001/11/2013

I would LOVE to eat Patty's shit. Think of all the meds in it!

by Anonymousreply 7101/11/2013

R70, the poll is nearly 90% in favor of Angela. It's Duke fans that are having trouble accepting it.

by Anonymousreply 7201/11/2013

Funny OP you ONLY address the parts of post that you want to comment on when there are other parts of the post you ignore......

by Anonymousreply 7301/11/2013

Come to think of it, I already eat Meryl's shit!

by Anonymousreply 7401/11/2013

This is ridicules. The only thing Ms. Lansbury and Ms. Duke have in common is that they were up for the same award 50 years ago. Otherwise they are completely different.

by Anonymousreply 7501/15/2013

by Anonymousreply 7609/08/2013

Patty Duke will cut a bitch. Give her a few days to come off her meds, see what happens.

The only murder that Angela Lansbury will be writing about will be her own.

by Anonymousreply 7709/08/2013

R77 lol

by Anonymousreply 7809/08/2013

Anyone notice a strong resemblance between Angela Landsbury and Miss Piggy? I would never fuck either of those but ima fuck those identical twins. Dat fo show.

by Anonymousreply 7909/08/2013

I absolutely hate Angela Landsbury, yet I voted for her in your poll. You asked who is more recognizable? That would be Landsbury because her horrible TV show started 20 years AFTER the identical cousins.

by Anonymousreply 8009/08/2013

Do we have a picture of Angela Lansbury?

by Anonymousreply 8109/08/2013

As the rumor goes Angela never asked Patty to do Murder b/c she was upset that Patty won the Oscar. Do u think that was true?

by Anonymousreply 8209/08/2013

Honestly, the women thought Murder She Wrote was all hot shit. I hated everything about it. I especially couldn't stand to hear the opening jingle. For at least 10 years, I called it the fucking Miss Piggy Show. This looks more like her than McCartney. See if you don't agree.

by Anonymousreply 8309/08/2013

R80. How can anyone hate Angela Lansbury. And she lost the roll in the film of Sweeney Toddb/c it was made about THIRTY FUCKING YEARS after she did on stage, fool!

by Anonymousreply 8409/08/2013

They're both great for different reasons. Angela is a Broadway babe. And everyone has a soft spot and fond memories of Patty for her work on television.

Both are great actresses and national treasures.

by Anonymousreply 8509/08/2013

[quote]That is why she ended up turning down the role of Nurse Ratched in "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest".

I don't care HOW you slice it, THAT was a BONE-HEADED move!

by Anonymousreply 8609/08/2013

by Anonymousreply 8709/15/2013

I always hate when someone says 'what an idiot turning down that role' because someone else, particularly in an iconic role, would have changed the whole film. The film could've been a dog, an utter flop, with someone else in one of the roles. Turning down that role might have been an amazing, insightful decision. Anyway...

by Anonymousreply 8809/15/2013

true r88

by Anonymousreply 8909/15/2013

It is sad to say that Angela has it over Patty, Patty and her husband dress up as Santa Claus and Miss Claus and rang bells on a street corner to promote a production in Idaho called the Traditions of Christmas :-( there is a link but I don't know how to do it so just google it Patty Duke Idaho traditions of Christmas

by Anonymousreply 9012/14/2013

Should I search to find out who this Patty person is?

by Anonymousreply 9112/14/2013

When you're done with puzzling over this captivating and so-sensible dilemma, would you please discuss the equally relevant "Shelley Berman vs. St. Teresa of Avila" dilemma? Thank you.

I am most interested in hearing what the stunningly insightful R85 of September has to say, if the Alzheimer's hasn't fully claimed her by now.

by Anonymousreply 9212/14/2013

R91 u can lol

by Anonymousreply 9312/14/2013

I'm from the UK and I've never heard of Patty Duke. I saw Lansbury on stage in A Little Night Music in NYC, she was great.

by Anonymousreply 9412/14/2013

Angela was good as Mrs. Potts.

by Anonymousreply 9512/14/2013

Maybe Patty Duke should do Disney Movie voices. No one under 60 cares about Patty Duke. Everything kid knows Angela's voice from Beauty and the Beast.

by Anonymousreply 9612/14/2013

but mrs Claus and ringing bells on the street corner

by Anonymousreply 9712/14/2013

R94 valley of the dolls???

by Anonymousreply 9812/14/2013

This is the greatest poll ever.

by Anonymousreply 9912/14/2013

All I've come away with after reading this thread is that OP has a very strange obsession.

by Anonymousreply 10012/14/2013

I wish Anna (Patty) would work more.

by Anonymousreply 10112/14/2013

R98, no, sorry. I will rectify that post haste though.

by Anonymousreply 10212/15/2013

someone posted on Twitter that r Patty Duke daughter n Patty Duke gave her up for adoption in 1965

by Anonymousreply 10312/20/2013

by Anonymousreply 10412/21/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!