Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What do Americans think of Canadians?

I've never been to the U.S. and was wondering what it's like in the U.S. and what you guys think of us. And if there is really a difference culture-wise.

by Anonymousreply 14001/19/2013

They don't. Say you're a Canadian and it's the same as saying you're from "not far away". It's not at all interesting to them.

by Anonymousreply 101/10/2013

I love Canada. It's more like Europe. You have the same gun ownership per capita and almost no violent crime to speak of. The streets are clean, the people are polite and intelligent. I feel like America is more like a Third World country when compared to Canada.

by Anonymousreply 201/10/2013

OP if you're Canadian you're really opening up a can of worms here. Why would you do that unless you're a glutton for punishment? This IS Data Lounge after all. Don't expect many serious responses.

by Anonymousreply 301/10/2013

Canadians are kind of like us except they're nicer and they live in an arctic climate.

by Anonymousreply 401/10/2013

American school children are taught that Canadians are superior pan-dimensional beings, descended directly from angels.

But they are also taught not to mention this to Canadians because they are also smug and it will go to their heads.

by Anonymousreply 501/10/2013

I don't think about them too often.

by Anonymousreply 601/10/2013

Funny, I heard that Canadians are downright rude.

by Anonymousreply 701/10/2013

They're mine.

by Anonymousreply 801/10/2013

Canadians are a nice mix of polite and no bullshit. I like them. I lived in Canada as a youngster and my siblings and I enjoyed an excellent public education -- far superior to what was on offer in our hometown, although I realize the reasons for that are complicated.

by Anonymousreply 901/10/2013

Canadians are far warmer and polite when you initially meet them. They will look you in the eye on the street.

However, they're a bit more introverted and/or self-protective in getting to know them. It's harder to go past that initial stage of politeness.

by Anonymousreply 1001/10/2013

I've traveled to Canada several times (Vancouver, Toronto and Quebec) and I think Canadians are nicer and more polite than Americans. I don't have to worry about getting jumped when I'm walking alone down the street late at night, and overall it's a nice atmosphere to be in.

by Anonymousreply 1101/10/2013

[quote]What do Americans think of Canadians?

Most don't think of them at all, which used to piss off the Cs until maybe 2001 or so.

by Anonymousreply 1201/10/2013

Montreal Jazz Fest. I'd like to go at some point.

by Anonymousreply 1301/10/2013

No opinion. I like to judge the individual and not the whole population.

by Anonymousreply 1401/10/2013

Me too R14.

by Anonymousreply 1501/10/2013

I used to think they were smarter, wiser and polite. Last I heard they elected some damn right winger into I take all that back.

by Anonymousreply 1601/10/2013

Canadians are generally just sexier than stupid Americans, less hangups and more real ness, which Americans, gay or straight, just can't handle.

by Anonymousreply 1701/10/2013

R16, you don't know fuck about shit.

by Anonymousreply 1801/10/2013

I have a funny feeling that OP is not really Canadian. No Canadian would ever ask Americans on DL if there is really a cultural difference.

That being said, as a Canadian/Italian I would like to say simply that Americans are more open and sometimes crudely so. Canadians are more polite, in general, but indeed more guarded.

I enjoy the American spirit of entitlement and that all around must adapt. Americans are kind of like the cops, they approach every environment as if it is their very own kitchen. They inhabit space and are comfortable even when those around are not. It's cute once you get used to it.

Horrible tippers and demanding tourists with lots of crazy ideas, but I like you guys. My partner, who is from Trinidad is appalled for the most part by Americans, but I try teach him how it goes. We both work in the arts and in America a fair amount, but could never live there, for the uh, um, cultural reasons.

Americans are much better on home turf for the most part, but sweet in their awkwardness and are are not condescending when away. They are bred to not be intimidated, yet of course they are outside of familiar ground. Americans live extremely regional existences regardless of world travel or exposure to cultural difference. All politics are local, eh?

There is a lot more to say of course. Chicago is a greater city than Toronto, and Quebec and the Atlantic Provinces of Canada offer things not to be found anywhere else. Our cities are safer and yeah there is the gun control and healthcare thing, and our constitutional legal marriage for all. We are taxed to death and don't put up much a fight.

The cultural differences are quite large, we all get along a bit better up here, regardless of political affiliation and although we are a capitalist society we are not quite so driven by aquisition alone. Canadians can be tediously PC and are a bit too comfortable sometimes.

Naturally as individuals we have passion and talent and are sexy. Ha.

Access to quality education for anyone capable and healthcare for everyone and the changing but still less violent culture are the main differences. We also are a vast country with only 33 million people, so we tolerate and expect regional differences without so much hate. Geography determines a lot of things still......

by Anonymousreply 1901/10/2013

R19's partner is blond Thomas from "1 Girl 5 Gays"!

by Anonymousreply 2001/10/2013

That's all very nice R19 but a tad off topic since OP was asking what Americans think of Canadians;)

by Anonymousreply 2101/10/2013

Canadians. What state are they from again? Baja Minnesota, or somewhere like that?

by Anonymousreply 2201/10/2013

I lived there for quite a while. Went to university in Quebec. I love Quebec and everyone I met from Quebec. I loved the Newfies too. I especially loved the Newfies. Especially being screeched in.

The rest are insufferable twats. Especially those from Toronto. I'd get a lecture on the superiority of Canadian culture and how they had to fight the influence of American culture. It would invariably end with a sentence like this: "Oh I got to run. Friends is on and I don't want to be late."

by Anonymousreply 2301/10/2013

They're whole national identity is "we aren't American".

by Anonymousreply 2401/10/2013

The joke about they don't really does get to the point. Your average American knows very little about Canada, honestly they know more about the UK than they do Canada. It sort of flies under the radar unless you live in the northern border states.

Those of us who are more familiar with Canada do think you guys tend to be polite and good people and live in a country that has a much better healthcare system than we do (as every western country does) and just in general are more progressive in your politics. I've visited Canada several times and always enjoyed it (also noticed there were a lot less obese people).

by Anonymousreply 2501/10/2013

I've known many Canadians. The only quirks I've noticed:

-Many of them who DO actually say "oot" and "aboot" deny doing so.

-The shy guys are still somehow very sexually forward.

-They generally laugh less often.

-They generally offer better ice cream than the USA.

by Anonymousreply 2601/10/2013

R24 at least Canadians know it's their not they're!

by Anonymousreply 2701/10/2013

[quote] You don't know fuck about shit.

I see Fat Rob Ford and his Waddling Wall of Fat has joined us!

Hi,'s the football team going?

by Anonymousreply 2801/10/2013

Canada is a scary place! First the Vancouver hockey riots, then the pig farm killer, then the Toronto shootings.

What's next ...crossing the street against the red light?

by Anonymousreply 2901/10/2013

I've been to Canada several times, but only to larger, more cosmopolitan areas (Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal, Quebec). I found pretty much everyone to be friendly and polite. I don't know how it is in the other parts of the country.

by Anonymousreply 3001/10/2013

Gee I thought I was being non confrontational. One girl and five fags is representative of what is more free about Canadian culture and part is what is wrong with gay men everywhere.

My partner and I don't function that way.

I did not go off topic, it was a polite pre-emptive strike. Very Canadian.

Attack me, GO. Sorry for being overly earnest, I know how it brings out the bitches in some who claim to be men.

by Anonymousreply 3101/10/2013

Canadians are painfully repressed, and painfully decent

by Anonymousreply 3201/10/2013

This is who a majority of Torontonians allowed to waddle into holding office.

Stephen Harper plus this fat load. And we get lectured about our politicians? Fuck THAT.

by Anonymousreply 3401/10/2013

We don't care for Europeans.

by Anonymousreply 3501/10/2013

"Without me and the French you are just... Americans"

by Anonymousreply 3601/10/2013

Canada - it's like America, but without the guns.

by Anonymousreply 3701/10/2013

Canada = Americas' Hat

by Anonymousreply 3801/10/2013

Florida=America's wang.

by Anonymousreply 3901/10/2013

[quote]Florida=America's wang.

Lake Michigan=America's vagina.

by Anonymousreply 4001/10/2013

I love Canada and I love Canadians. I don't understand it,but every trip therefeels a little like a homecoming. Even as i type this I am getting emotional. Why should I care so deeply about a country and a people not my own.? I consider myself to be a deeply patriotic Ameerican, but there is a piece of my heart that is all Canadian.

by Anonymousreply 4101/10/2013

I find that many Canadians have a chip on their shoulder when it comes to being compared to Americans. The rural ones don't seem to give the U.S. much thought though.

Americans, in general, do not seem to think much of Canada at all. Just another foreign country.

by Anonymousreply 4201/10/2013

If you go to Puerto Vallarta, they are the fat ones who holler when they cannonball into the pool. They get VERY drunk and obnoxious.

by Anonymousreply 4301/10/2013

It's the only other country I'd consider living in.

by Anonymousreply 4401/10/2013

We don't think about Canadians much.

by Anonymousreply 4501/10/2013

Canadians wear "tooks" and say "eh" a lot and they love hockey and make good beer. They're very polite.

Oh, and they eat gravy on their fries and the name of that national dish reminds me of a slang word for a vagina.

by Anonymousreply 4601/10/2013

Québécois are hung, hairy bottoms.

by Anonymousreply 4701/10/2013

I for one, found the gay men in Canada woefully unattractive, especially in Vancouver. The majority of the hot men were hetero. I was also surprised by the amount of homeless in Vancouver as well. I ran into several obnoxiously drunk Canucks who were rude to me and others on the street - they behaved like many people accuse drunk Americans of behaving. I actually liked Halifax - the coastline is lovely and the people were far more friendly there. I was surprised.

Overall though, Canada lacks a truly definitive identity.

by Anonymousreply 4801/10/2013

You are correct that many Canadians have a "chip" on their shoulder regarding being compared to Americans. Are you so stupid about geography and history to not know why?

Hell no, we do not have much of your heinous past, we have our own. Read my post at r19. Most Canadians look for ways to find common ground with Americans (with some amusement) as we share so fucking much of it.

Canadians travel outside of our country much more than Americans do and who but an obnoxious american, most of whom are not, would refer to their closest neighbour and ally as "just another foreign country."

You do your country a dishonour sir.

by Anonymousreply 4901/10/2013

They seem to be nice and polite generally speaking. And they order "Caesars" inflight which is a Bloody Mary made with Clamato juice. (Which we don't have onboard)

by Anonymousreply 5001/10/2013

They act getting a bit uppity now that their "loonie" is worth more than the US dollar.

by Anonymousreply 5101/10/2013

I don't know much about Canadians, except that bludgeoning baby seals to death with baseball bats is a national pastime.

by Anonymousreply 5201/10/2013

I love the way you guys say "Oot" and "aboot" and "bean" for "been" and "aGAYnst" for "against".

by Anonymousreply 5301/11/2013

[quote]Canada - it's like America, but without the guns.

Canada has MORE guns per capita than the US. They just don't shoot each other.

by Anonymousreply 5401/11/2013

I love Canada and Canadians but I find this thread to be ridiculous, full of the same "Canada nice" myth people have of Mormons. For one thing, their education system is not better than the Americans'. In fact, it is pretty miserable, and they share the ignorance of most Americans, although they are less assertive about being anti-intellectual. I knew one guy had seven years of French in a standard Canadian school and couldn't speak a word. They had a standardized curriculum on the French model, and it has not served them particularly well. Of course, the USA has benefited from all the military money which has gone to universities, giving them a stronger scientific basis than they would otherwise have. I also don't find the Canadians especially nice or decent. That they are ahead of the USA on social issues like health care, gay rights, and drugs appears to me to be more accidental than directed by serious social forces. That they have a stronger economy and a more viable middle class also seems to be something of an accident, namely that they have not been taken over by a fascist conspiracy like we have. But at the same time they haven't lifted a finger to protect themselves from fascist conpiracy. In the 1980s of course, they were behind us on gay rights etc., and their economy was dominated by rich plutocrats. They didn't really get rid of them, they just managed to capture so much American investment that the role of the plutocrats was necessarily reduced.

by Anonymousreply 5501/11/2013

[all posts by right wing shit-stain # a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 5601/11/2013

I have wondered why so many of the American boys attempted to eat me, and now I know.

The lack of gravity is a problem south of the border, but some of us have heavy soccer/lacrosse/hockey butts and legs that keep me a bit out of the trees. I can get you down from a tree but the ceiling is sometimes a nice place to be. If you promise, I will come.

In NYC and Chicago they always seem to be on their knees around me - must be the reverse gravity fall back.

I would save you regardless. We don't have as many guns here but I am all for satanic rituals. Wiccan, not Christian. Let's not argue, the devil is in the details.

Come to Montreal, we will figure it out. Float.

I hope we can all just get along.....

by Anonymousreply 5701/11/2013

I'm from Seattle and feel more at home in Vancouver than I do in most American cities. I know we're also regarded as being polite but distant so maybe there's more of a cultural similarity.

by Anonymousreply 5801/11/2013

As an American I can proudly say I have never attempted to eat a Canadian. Oh sure, I have heard they are delicious, but I refrain. I am not without self-control.

by Anonymousreply 5901/11/2013

by Anonymousreply 6001/11/2013

Canada's 2 big cities, Toronto and Vancouver, are have become generic international cities, where everyone speaks a different language and there is no real culture (read non Corporate). Culture in Toronto today is a global franchise.

I think a lot of impressions on this thread are of a Canada from a past era.

by Anonymousreply 6101/11/2013

[quote] almost no violent crime to speak of

It's not that there's no violent crime "to speak of", but it's so rare that when it does happen, it's a huge topic in the forefront of everyone's minds.

The same applies to Canadian soldiers killed in Afghanistan: a single soldier's death leads the news and is a huge story for days. Americans have gotten so used to hearing not a peep about the thousands of soldiers killed that we rarely even think about it anymore.

by Anonymousreply 6201/11/2013

Having worked retail in a sunshine state catering to snow birds in the winter I can say it is hard to distinguish a Canadian snow bird from another snow bird from the northern part of the US. If they happen to be French speaking Canadians they can be rude and dismissive.

by Anonymousreply 6401/11/2013

Do Americans know about the Idle No More movement? It's sort of the Native "Occupy" movement in Canada and currently quite a big deal in the news.

by Anonymousreply 6501/11/2013

One of my brothers is married to a girl from Canada, Toronto area I think. She seems just like an American to me but drinks a shit load of beer. No wine for her at dinner, it's beer. Other than that she's like everyone else. She's a fanatical Dallas Cowboys fan oddly enough. Other than her family I've never met Canadians or thought about them that much but I'm way down South too.

I had some English friends who went to Calgary for a year to work and they came back and said they didn't like it and preferred Americans. They said the Canadians were not that friendly compared to Americans especially Texans. Maybe it was just Calgary though.

by Anonymousreply 6601/11/2013

The ones who speak French always are friendly to Haitians but not to me.

by Anonymousreply 6701/11/2013

Lived in Buffalo NY for years. Made many trips across the border. It used to be we'd say "Americans" and we'd be waved across. Really amazing beach with a mile wide sand bar.

Quebec City is unlike any city in the Americas. Castles, GORGEOUS winding streets, naked guys stretching in front of a window... but we took a bus tour with a lovely girl child who kept saying "Ok" when she described the history of battles, as in "We lost this battle to the British, this one to the Americans," I started rooting for the Quebecois, to no avail.

Toronto in winter is a dark Dickensian wonderland. Nice old bookstores.

Buffalo has a lot of Canadian illegals, but they're white so no one mentions it.

They are defensive if Americans don't know Canadian things, like the capitol of Canada (Ottawa) and don't believe Canadian writers get their due. Please, the greatest living poet on earth is Margaret Atwood. Every year she doesn't get the Nobel is a travesty!

Toronto is the easiest way (shhh!) to get into Havana.

They really are perfectly wonderful neighbors. Rarely have they shot at Americans in the streets and they have good manners.

by Anonymousreply 6801/11/2013

[quote]Toronto is the easiest way (shhh!) to get into Havana.

Montreal, too.

It's fun to see the billboards for Cuban vacation destinations along the highways to Canadian airports. Makes me curious to go.

by Anonymousreply 6901/11/2013

If Americans truly thought of Canadians, they wouldn't call themselves "Americans."

by Anonymousreply 7001/11/2013

I live in Michigan, so we get lots of Canadian transplants living here.

They are identical to Americans, except they seem to have a chip on their shoulder. They constantly try to quiz Americans about Canada, presumably, to try to prove to themselves that Americans are more ignorant than Canadians. When you meet a Canadian, prepare to be quizzed on where the capital is, what the national sport is (hint: it's not hockey!), who the prime minister is, asked to name all of the provinces and territories, asked to sing the national anthem, etc. It gets tiresome.

by Anonymousreply 7201/11/2013

[quote]Toronto is the easiest way (shhh!) to get into Havana.

Only if you want US immigration officers asking you lots of questions on your return. Mexico is the way to go if you don't want a hassle.

by Anonymousreply 7301/11/2013

[quote]Canada's 2 big cities, Toronto and Vancouver....

Montreal is the second-largest city, much bigger than Vancouver.

by Anonymousreply 7401/11/2013

Why do they have Canadian flags sewn on their gear when traveling abroad? I know the usual answer is that they don't want to be mistaken for Americans but they seem to be the only nationality who display their national flag en masse abroad.

by Anonymousreply 7501/11/2013

Fat, pale, no fashion sense, and they talk funny. I have only visited Vancouver and Winnipeg though.

by Anonymousreply 7601/11/2013

[quote]Why do they have Canadian flags sewn on their gear when traveling abroad? I know the usual answer is that they don't want to be mistaken for Americans

That's precisely the reason.

[quote]Montreal is the second-largest city, much bigger than Vancouver.

For the purposes of that person's post, they're the two largest cities in English Canada that are rapidly becoming allophone.

by Anonymousreply 7701/11/2013

[quote] and they talk funny.

Their accents are beautiful. It does amuse me that most Canadians insist they don't pronounce the vowel in "out/about" any differently that Americans, which is patently untrue. The onset vowel of their version of the diphthong is neutral, more of a schwa. Americans use the vowel in "cat" as the onset. Thus it sounds to Americans that Canadians are saying "oot", whereas it's really closer to "boat." But it is different.

by Anonymousreply 7801/11/2013

[quote]For the purposes of that person's post, they're the two largest cities in English Canada that are rapidly becoming allophone.

Are you his spokesman? You're just conflating his "point" with the cities he named to make them make sense, bitch.

by Anonymousreply 7901/11/2013

Chicago is not greater than Toronto. Quite the reverse. True, Chicago's suburbs make it a bit larger, but Chicago is not a magnet for talent and ambition the way Toronto is.

by Anonymousreply 8001/11/2013

"They said the Canadians were not that friendly compared to Americans especially Texans. Maybe it was just Calgary though"

Southern Americans are only friendly if you are white and never, ever tell them you are a homosexual.....else, you will see the truth. Northern Americans can be an almost French level of rude.

If you ever find one of these truly friendly and worldly Americans, chances are you met them living abroad, not at a Walmart store in Tennessee.

American and the term friendly is an oxymoron.

by Anonymousreply 8101/11/2013

[quote]They are identical to Americans, except they seem to have a chip on their shoulder. They constantly try to quiz Americans about Canada, presumably, to try to prove to themselves that Americans are more ignorant than Canadians. When you meet a Canadian, prepare to be quizzed on where the capital is, what the national sport is (hint: it's not hockey!), who the prime minister is, asked to name all of the provinces and territories, asked to sing the national anthem, etc. It gets tiresome.

If true they sound exhausting. Who the fuck cares except them? I know where every country is on the map but I don't necessarily care enough to know the provinces of each one unless I plan on traveling through. I live in TX and I don't know each county in the state.

by Anonymousreply 8201/11/2013

Not really true R81. I live in TX and most of us are friendly even to brown people. Unless you are running into rednecks you don't know what you are talking about.

by Anonymousreply 8301/11/2013

The anti-Obama poll numbers and voting patterns argue otherwise R83.

Thank you for using "Not really", it is the first step to you admitting, Texans have a problem.

by Anonymousreply 8401/11/2013

B.S. R84. Yes, TX votes mainly republican NOW but the hispanics are growing fast and it will turn blue.

That's like me saying every New Yorker is a loudmouthed asshole. Stereotyping is not good for anyone.

by Anonymousreply 8501/11/2013

Polite is the first word that comes to mind. They're sort of like our mid-westerners, but with slightly different accents.

French Canadians are a different breed. They're loud and tacky, like a Canadian version of Jersey Shore.

by Anonymousreply 8601/11/2013

I honestly think most Americans don't even know where Canada is.

by Anonymousreply 8701/11/2013

R87 this is that true.

by Anonymousreply 8801/11/2013

Many of us know where Canada is positioned on the globe, and many of us consider Canada our best resource for beautiful white people. There a few left if the US, but they're all quite old

by Anonymousreply 8901/11/2013

Shut the fuck up R89.

by Anonymousreply 9001/11/2013

I've met East Indians from Canada and they were incredibly rude and egotistical. Normally Immigrants from India are very nice and easy going in America but wow, you must get a different breed up there in Canada.

They were also much uglier than the ones who settle in the states. Is there some village full of fuglies that only emmigrate to Canada?

by Anonymousreply 9101/11/2013

Yes, R91. It's a legal covenant.

by Anonymousreply 9201/11/2013

"Normally Immigrants from India are very nice"

YOU got lucky there. That is most definitely NOT the normal.

by Anonymousreply 9301/11/2013

I met anti-American hysterics in New Zealand and Australia as a tourist, but I never met any in Canada.

by Anonymousreply 9401/11/2013

No, I don't like them for being nice or well-educated. I like them for a certain intellectual fearlessness they have.

by Anonymousreply 9501/11/2013

I think the Canadian poster upthread is the same guy who taught me all about pop stars on another thread! I LUV that guy!

And count me as an American (even worse: An Angelino) who enjoys Canada immensely. Montreal is my favorite North American city.

by Anonymousreply 9601/11/2013

by Anonymousreply 9701/11/2013

[quote]Is South Park correct? Do Canadians have detaching heads that bounce up and down? And square tires on your cars? Just wondering.

Hey, fuck you buddy.

by Anonymousreply 9801/11/2013

There are a few kooks in Canada. I remember us discussing one bitch here on DL (her name escapes me) who was antigay and really ugly about some other things too - either anti Muslim or anti Jewish, and she was VERY nasty.

But Canada's extremists are few and far between.

by Anonymousreply 9901/11/2013

by Anonymousreply 10101/11/2013

Canada's current Prime Minister hates gays.

by Anonymousreply 10201/11/2013

PETA freak at R103.........

You know that PETA boycotts AIDS research right?

by Anonymousreply 10401/11/2013

Behind the times. Pleasant but bland. Intelligent. Jealous of Americans for some reason, so have to make fun of us. Sense of superiority that is unattractive and grating. And what's with vinegar on your French fries, ha ha. Seriously, good solid people but many I've met are very condescending to people from the U.S.

by Anonymousreply 10501/11/2013

R98, shouldn't that be, "Eh, fuck you buddy"?

by Anonymousreply 10601/11/2013

I wasn't sure which to go with, but you're probably right, R106.

by Anonymousreply 10701/11/2013

[quote] As an American I can proudly say I have never attempted to eat a Canadian.

I've sucked off a few dozen delicious Canadian men.

Oh, I miss The Barb Wire and Toolbox in Toronto. *le sigh*

by Anonymousreply 10901/11/2013

[quote]Bottom line: if you Canadians are too uptight to make playful, ridiculous, cartoon-like jokes about the subject of our rivalry, then fuck you and fuck the inbred British crown whose cunt you legally still lick and never had the balls to get rid of the way the US and Ireland did. You Commonwealth cowards know it's a fact that you are legally English property, pure and simple.

Suck my balls, uncle fucker.

by Anonymousreply 11001/11/2013

Agree with R2.

by Anonymousreply 11101/11/2013

I think Americans hate everyone who is not American.

by Anonymousreply 11201/12/2013

So let me get this right. R100 et al is lecturing someone else about overreacting?

Okay *giggle*

by Anonymousreply 11301/12/2013

A used to work with a consulting firm out of Toronto and, while most of our communication was via phone and email, we would get together a few times a year for meetings either up there of down here (Dallas). They had great personalities, were easy to get along with and were a lot of fun to be around. Really nice people.

by Anonymousreply 11401/12/2013

Eh, the French ones are short.

by Anonymousreply 11501/17/2013

Italian Canadian here with a French speaking boyfriend from Trinidad, living in love in Montreal.

We are not short on much.

Come and visit and don't just ride the rides, take a look around......bien venue.

I want to go to Albuquerque. Should we ?

by Anonymousreply 11601/17/2013

"I want to go to Albuquerque."

No. Take a left there.

by Anonymousreply 11701/17/2013

General observations/anecdotes:

I don't know if Canadians are necessarily nicer, because so many Americans seem naturally, effortlessly friendly. I do believe they can be very reserved and not only in comparison.

I believe Canadians were insecure about living next to America til sometime from the mid seventies. As so many things started to haywire in the States, Canadians discovered a sense they were actually a country that had a lot of good things going on.

I suspect the quiz Americans about Canada nowadays not out of insecurity but more to test just how little the Americans know about Canada. In fairness, I suspect it's about as little as most Americans and Canadians really know about France, Belgium or Italy. No one can escape knowing more about America. It's a massive presence.

I do think the long dominance of the UK had a significant effect on the character of the country. It is plain America is much more affected by how that country was founded... revolution, breaking away, the Constitution, all that. The equivalent to the states' rights concept isn't part of Canadian politics in any significant respect.

Canadians 'country folk' have the capacity to be just as ignorant and intolerant of things that are different from the mainstream as people like that from anywhere else. That said, the country seemed to adapt quite easily to the concept of gay marriage, after the initial fuss.

Canada generally doesn't have the levels of poverty and violence that characterize the States. There is no worship of the gun in the culture although there are plenty of guns around.

Canadians seems to have less respect yet less contempt for their politicians, if that's possible.

I knew a Canadian whose lifelong dream was to live and work in America. He was centre right, politically. In the end, he did not like living in America, though he was living there in the darker years (the last ten to fifteen.) His observation was that Americans, in their bones and DNA, have an outlook that is totally based on individual responsibility: if you can't make it on your own, that's tough, whereas Canada, somehow, has an easier time with the concept of the collective. Sure, Canadians gripe about taxes but for the most part they don't have a problem with paying up and letting government deliver services.

"Talking To Americans': an old comedy routine from a Canadian show...

by Anonymousreply 11801/17/2013

Better quality... different talking to Americans...

by Anonymousreply 11901/17/2013

You don't need my approval R118 but you have it for your insightful overview of our historical and present differences. Mutual appreciation and a clear head. The answer to so many problems.

Bonus points for knowing Rick Mercer, our goofier and more controversial Jon Stewart.

by Anonymousreply 12001/17/2013

We generally think Canada is well-portrayed by "Wheels Ontario." If you are unfamiliar with Canada and Canadians, this should be your bible.

by Anonymousreply 12101/17/2013

One of Rick Mercer's weekly rants, on teen's good.

Two minutes worth your time.

by Anonymousreply 12201/17/2013

We always refer to Canada as a horizontal Chile.

by Anonymousreply 12301/17/2013

from R122's link: "Every year in this country 300 kids take their own lives"

That's pretty damn good, only 300 kids a year.

by Anonymousreply 12401/17/2013

R118 the one thing I disagree with: I think Canadians know a lot more about France, Belgium, etc. than Americans do. But that's just my opinion. I think Americans are well known to know surprisingly little about other countries, since, in fact, they can travel within the US, and don't "need" to expand their horizons. The same isn't quite true in Canada.

by Anonymousreply 12501/18/2013

Some of them end up with careers defending the rich against their victims just like in America. Sigh.

by Anonymousreply 12601/18/2013

Maybe Canadians know more about Belgium and France, but the Americans I know are pretty knowledgable about Ireland, Poland, Italy, Israel, the Philippines, Mexico, Korea. They're all either from there or their parents or grandparents are from there. Or they live in one of those countries part time. My son goes to school with kid's from Norway, Japan, the UK, Ireland, Bosnia, Russia. It's all relative to where you live and who you are. My best friend is Portuguese. I'm a citizen of Ireland and my son is Asian. My sister is married to. a south African, my cousin is married to an Asian from Denmark. Neighbors on my block are from Germany, the UK, Finland, Guatemala, Brazil.

A lot of children of immigrants couldn't care less about their countries of origin. They don't want to go to Greek school or mandarin classes. They do it to please their parents but they are more interested in their lives here. Others travel back and forth easily and slip from one language or identity to another. Some hate their countries of origin and never want to go there.

For the most part, travel has become so easy that people do it all the time. They don't make a pint of studying up on other countries. And kids chat with other kids from all over the world online.

Maybe it's a coastal thing. Internarional travel is faster from the coasts to countries overseas.

by Anonymousreply 12701/18/2013

No real identity? People all speaking different languages? Well, America, you are founded on a melting pot mentality -- everyone should assimilate and be like everyone else, whereas we are based on a multi-cultural attitude.

by Anonymousreply 12801/18/2013

I think most Americans like Canadians a lot generally. What irritates some of us is that y'all's most important trait/value/ideal is that you aren't us.

by Anonymousreply 12901/18/2013

So true, R129! Last year, someone posted a couple of YouTube clips on Canadian commercials in which they compared/contrasted themselves with the US, no matter the product. Their international identity seems to be that they're not American.

by Anonymousreply 13001/18/2013

[quote] Their international identity seems to be that they're not American.

That's pretty pathetic. Most Americans are proud to not be living in Mexico, but we wouldn't make a national identity oot of it. It's aboot more than not being someone else, more than my hoose is different from your hoose, eh? The US is all aboot the Benjamins. Canada is all about the loonies.

by Anonymousreply 13101/18/2013

My favorite Canadian, Gabriel Clark (a.k.a. Gabriel Lenfant):

by Anonymousreply 13201/18/2013

Canadian identity is much more multi faceted than solely not being American. But that's definitely part of it.

by Anonymousreply 13301/18/2013

The truth is that we ARE North Americans and share a North American culture and lifestyle, unfortunately for us, we share it with a hugely powerful and populated nation. It's somewhat like Belgian Walloons and France. They speak French and to foreigner the accent is much the same, they live a lifestyle that is similar to the northern French.

by Anonymousreply 13401/19/2013

[quote] Canadian identity is much more multi faceted than solely not being American.

Yah. You spend your loonies on bags of milk. You can get a smoker's license for medicinal cannabis. You can have poutine danse. Abortion is covered by your national health care. Boys wear blouses. And you national symbol is a leaf from a tree. Ok? You call your drunk Indians "First Nations people." You'd rather bash your head than eat what they call bacon in the states, ok?

by Anonymousreply 13501/19/2013

by Anonymousreply 13601/19/2013

[quote] You'd rather bash your head than eat what they call bacon in the states, ok?

Actually we generally eat the same bacon. What you call 'Canadian Bacon' we call 'back bacon' and it's not very common.

by Anonymousreply 13701/19/2013

I LOVE that man, R132. I'm embarrassed to say that, for the longest time, I thought that Gabriel Clark and Gabriel Lenfant were two different guys. I could put up two images side by side and think to myself, "Wow! They could be twins."

I know: *facepalm*

by Anonymousreply 13801/19/2013

Is DL broken in Canada today also?

by Anonymousreply 13901/19/2013

Im an American who proudly wears his maple leave pin g-d !bless America, and Canada too!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 14001/19/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!