Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Gay life in Minneapolis

I'm going there for two months in February. brrrrrrr! Are there any good places just to hang? I'm 44 years old and clean cut.

Thanks in advance!

by Anonymousreply 3306/19/2015

Maybe someone will answer you later. Someone who knows.

by Anonymousreply 101/10/2013

It probably won't be as cold as you think by February. The worst of the winter weather is usually in December/January.

There is plenty to do in the Twin Cities. What are your interests?

by Anonymousreply 201/10/2013

The airport.

by Anonymousreply 301/10/2013

I'm thinking of place to meet gay men.

by Anonymousreply 401/10/2013

Calorie Cutters was a terrific place to meet fit-fat men.

by Anonymousreply 501/10/2013

So you want to know about gay bars. OK.

In downtown Minneapolis, the Saloon is fun and sleazy. Avoid the Gay 90s (too many straight people). You're probably too old for Jet Set. The 19 Bar is a great neighborhood bar, and the oldest gay bar in the cities. There's also an Eagle.

St. Paul has the Townhouse, which is more of a neighborhood bar that skews older. And Camp, which is for the eldergays.

There are plenty of other things to do, though. The Walker Art Center and MIA are both well worth the trip. The Hennepin Theater District (see link) has some fun events in downtown Minneapolis, although Book of Mormon tickets are long gone.

If you're into modern music, First Avenue is a great place to see a concert. Yo La Tengo, DeVotchKa, the Eels and Gaslight Anthem are all there in February. Tame Impala, Tegan and Sara, Django Django, Electric Six, G. Love, KMFDM and Stars are all there in March.

Transmission is a fun DJ night with lots of old new wave and '80s/'90s alt-rock. It's Wednesdays at Club Jager. It also moves into First Avenue every few months for a special night -- there's one March 15 at First Ave.

Arena shows in Feb/March include: Lady Gaga, George Strait, Maroon 5, Pink, Rihanna and Muse.

by Anonymousreply 601/10/2013

What the fuck is wrong with you, R7? I'm trying to help OP.

by Anonymousreply 801/10/2013

The Downtown Y - it's a great facility and also very cruisy if you're looking...

by Anonymousreply 901/10/2013

Its not as much fun since Rhoda left.

by Anonymousreply 1101/10/2013

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 1201/10/2013

"Are there any good places just to hang? "

Don't kill yourself! It won't be that bad!

(Actually, it will.)

by Anonymousreply 1301/10/2013

R13's only point of reference is the Mary Tyler Moore Show.

by Anonymousreply 1401/10/2013

Where does Prince hang out?

by Anonymousreply 1501/10/2013

Prince is in Chanhassen isn't he?

by Anonymousreply 1601/10/2013

I loved the Gay 90s when I visited years ago. It was one of those mega-bars with a different theme on every floor.

I loved watching the drag fishbowl where they put all the performers' numbers in a fishbowl, and each performer had to pull a number out of the bowl to perform. It was hilarious to watch them try to perform each other's songs to varying degrees of success.

Sad to hear that it's now populated with straights. I like my gay bars gay.

by Anonymousreply 1701/10/2013

People have been complaining about too many straights at the Gay 90s SINCE the 90s.

by Anonymousreply 1801/10/2013

R18 is correct.

I haven't been there in years, but from what I've heard, it's the same as it's ever been.

by Anonymousreply 1901/10/2013

Unfortunately, the river flats isn't what it was in the early 90s.

by Anonymousreply 2001/10/2013

"Clean cut?" I guess that rules out the meth.

by Anonymousreply 2101/10/2013

Minnesota can be tough to outsiders, although once you crack the veneer of the locals, it's fine.

by Anonymousreply 2201/12/2013

Reading R6 and R7 together is pretty much every DL Thread in a nutshell.

by Anonymousreply 2305/14/2013

If you don't like it, Winnipeg is just a few hours away!

by Anonymousreply 2405/17/2013

The river flats are in Cleveland not Minneapolis.

by Anonymousreply 2505/17/2013

It will only SEEM like two months in February, OP. Actually February is only one month.

by Anonymousreply 2605/17/2013

Brutal mob attack of gay man in Minneapolis

A 30-year-old Minneapolis man is recovering from what's being described as a brutal attack that occurred after he left a bar and headed for a downtown bus stop by himself early Sunday morning.

Jeremy had left the eagleBOLTbar, a Washington Avenue establishment that bills itself as "the premier Masculine Men's GLBT bar" in the Twin Cities, and was walking from there to a bus stop on Portland Avenue when he was attacked.

Left with a broken jaw and a number of knocked-out teeth, Jeremy doesn't remember anything about what happened to him, and police didn't learn of the assault until he was already in the hospital. But whoever attacked Jeremy didn't rob him, fueling concerns the violence might've been related to Jeremy's sexuality.

by Anonymousreply 2703/12/2014

I had a great time at the 90s in the early 2000s. Lots of hot men. If you drink enough, you don't notice the straight people, and honestly there weren't that many of them anyway. I can remember seeing a few bachelorette parties there, which is weird.

by Anonymousreply 2803/12/2014

Just wanted to say I think it was really nice of you to give such a thorough, thought out answer, [R6/8]. You took time out of your day to help someone.

[R7] If you're going to be a dick, at least be a funny / original one. Would you be so snide in person, or are you just a dick on the internet where anonymity protects your cowardice...?

by Anonymousreply 2903/12/2014

Any restaurant recommendations?

by Anonymousreply 3006/19/2015

You just had to bump this old ass thread, didn't you, r30!? Shame on you!

Anyway, Galactic Pizza.

If you say whether you want a sit-down restaurant or are you looking for a particular type of cuisine, someone can be more specific.

by Anonymousreply 3106/19/2015

Butcher and the Boar is awesome if you're looking for meat and booze.

by Anonymousreply 3206/19/2015

R30, here are some more recommendations for you. This is a pretty decent list. I've been to more than 30 of these places, and for the most part agree.

Just ignore any suggestions outside of Minneapolis/St. Paul. They're just pandering to advertisers.

by Anonymousreply 3306/19/2015
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!