Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Modern Germany

Now that Germany is reunified, is there lingering tension between East and West Germany? Sort of like Yankee/Southerner differences and allegiances?

by Anonymousreply 3901/19/2013

Nein aber .. ja aber .. nein aber … ja aber ….

by Anonymousreply 101/10/2013

pretty much, the westerners are still considered aloofly know-it-all

the easterners (with the exception of Berlin) ignorant hicks

by Anonymousreply 201/10/2013

Not as strong as is the case with the US North/South divide, OP.

Merkel for example is East German, and widely popular in Germany.

by Anonymousreply 301/10/2013

I thought we had been getting along fairly well over here after the end of the War of Northern Yankee Republican Agression Against the South, and the resulting destruction of truth, justice, honor, freedom, and the American way.

by Anonymousreply 401/10/2013

there is still a difference between east and west germany. some people from west germany still look down on many easteners. also the people in the east have a worse standard of living than people, who live in the western part.

by Anonymousreply 501/10/2013

East Germans are extremly homophobic, for example, Angela Merkel.

by Anonymousreply 601/10/2013

And yet, r5, West German taxpayers have been propping up East Germany for 20 years now. And East Germans don't always sound too grateful..

Maybe that is part of the problem too?

Secondly, there is no monolithic 'East Germans' and 'West Germans'. And not all East Germans are homophobic.. don't forget East Berliners voted openly gay mayor Wowereit into office many times over.

by Anonymousreply 701/10/2013

Apparently it's comparable to how residents of Los Angeles and New York City (in particular) feel about those who reside in the vast expanse between them.

by Anonymousreply 801/10/2013

There is one HUGE difference you're overlooking, OP.

The division between East and West was imposed UPON them by outside forces.

The South chose their segregation from the rest of the US and have tried to impose it ever since.

by Anonymousreply 901/10/2013

Germany is still very homophobic and anti-Semitic. There are laws to protect Jewish citizens, but very limited laws to protect gay citizens. The current Chancellor, Angela Merkel is from the former East Germany, so not as tolerant of minorities as Western Germans.

They don't have the American nutcases like James Dobson and Fred Phelps, but there is still a strong and growing anti-gay ground swell. The problem is most Germans are indifferent, they don't understand why Gays need full equal rights.

by Anonymousreply 1001/10/2013

I'm good friends with a group of Bavarians. They're a bit snobby and opinionated, but very giving. East Germans seem poorer and a bit aloof...definitely not as fun.

by Anonymousreply 1101/10/2013

The East shall rise again!

by Anonymousreply 1201/10/2013

r10 = shit stirrer.

If you claim Germany is anti-semitic, back it up.

It isn't anti-semitic except for the odd Gunther Grass bullshit comments about Israel.

Needless to say, many Israelis have moved to Germany in recent years. They wouldn't be doing this if they thought anti-semitism was virulent there, now would they?

Next!

by Anonymousreply 1301/10/2013

The Germans are sweethearts. Everytime I visit during summer there are tons of tall blond young men who seem very happy to show me their shoeless feet.

by Anonymousreply 1401/10/2013

hi streep troll:-)

like the fact that you are defending deutschland! are you german?

by Anonymousreply 1501/10/2013

No, but I live in Switzerland, as I've stated many times.

return-Hi to you!

by Anonymousreply 1601/10/2013

I worked briefly in Germany years ago, and I have never met any anti-Semitic Germans. Arabs yes, but Germans no.

by Anonymousreply 1701/10/2013

A nickname East Germans have for West Germans is "Besserwisser" literally a "better-knower," sort of like our "know-it-all" in English.

It is not a compliment.

by Anonymousreply 1801/10/2013

There's still a North-South divide in Germany. People in Hamburg don't like people in Munich,vice versa. Bavarians are pretty friendly and outgoing whereas Northern Germans are more reserved.

Anti-Semitism? In Germany? Look at how many attacks happen in France against Jews versus Germany.French people pay more lip service to Anti-Semitism but I've sensed far more overt and covert Anti-Semitism in France as opposed to Germany.

Streep Tool is Swiss German? Cool, I like it there.

by Anonymousreply 1901/10/2013

I never said I was Swiss-German, babe.

I said I lived in Switzerland, though.

by Anonymousreply 2001/10/2013

There is no actual hate or resentment between North and South. There was a bit of resentment between East and West when the newly welcomed citizens were immediately elegible for Germany's very generous retirment plan without them having paid a single dime into it, but that's gone for some time now.

However it's quite normal for locals to mock and diss other areas for all sorts of reasons which is the norm in every country of this world.

But then of course there's soccer and its hooligans, but they aren't just a problem in Germany (UK as well, for example).

by Anonymousreply 2201/10/2013

R20. I'm not your babe!;) You are German though..... from where Frankfurt? I knew a closet queen from Frankfurt once. He was the most fabulous queen I had ever met.He was able to shove an eggplant into his mouth, think of that what you will.

by Anonymousreply 2301/10/2013

What's Stuttgart like? My cousin lives there

by Anonymousreply 2401/10/2013

Why do you think I'm German, r23?

by Anonymousreply 2501/10/2013

The Nazi era hatred of Gays is still strong in Bavaria.

by Anonymousreply 2601/10/2013

Is that why its capital, Munich, is co-run by a gay party, r26?

lol

by Anonymousreply 2701/10/2013

[quote] A nickname East Germans have for West Germans is "Besserwisser" literally a "better-knower," sort of like our "know-it-all" in English.

I've heard that. Close to (and I may be misspelling this) "klugschiesser" which translates to "smart shit." Also not a compliment.

by Anonymousreply 2801/10/2013

What do East Germans think of American tourists?

My German is good enough to get around and communicate, and I'm rather low-key in appearance and attitude. Will I be welcomed?

(I've always wanted to travel along the Baltic Coast and maybe drop down into the Spreewald region.)

by Anonymousreply 2901/10/2013

I was just in Spreewald.

They see mostly German and Polish tourists there. I was surprised there were some places like boat rentals and restaurants and even tourist offices where no English was spoken. Fortunately my German was okay, but it might have been difficult imho if I didn't speak any at all.

Fantastic place to visit btw. Rent a kayak and explore. So cool. You can paddle through the mazelike canals, stopping in little towns for a beer or some shopping and then continue on your way. Surreal. I only did a day trip but I thought it might be cool to do a more extensive independent kayak trip, stopping in little hotels and guesthouses along the canals. Lots to explore.

by Anonymousreply 3001/10/2013

You can do either, r29, even if you look more American. The Baltic coast is gorgeous, especially the island of Rugen, plus Usedom. Tourists are welcomed, absolutely.

Be prepared, however, that if you speak English in a public space, everyone around you will stare at you. (E.g. on a bus, in a shop, etc.)

Gawk, stare, and observe you without inhibitions.

A native speaker of English is considered exotic, like an animal in a zoo. Because Germany is inundated with American films and culture, seeing 'one of them English people' in the wild is fascinating to Germans..

Also, most Germans can't differentiate between Brits and Americans. They might ask you about the Queen of England.

by Anonymousreply 3101/10/2013

r31, in Germany there are two general stereotypes regarding English speakers. One is the posh Brit accent and second is the US Texan drawl. With those stereotypes in mind Germans easily spot people from the UK and America. No matter if you are a chav from Liverpool or a preppy Boston student. Howver the Australian accent throws some off the loop on occasion.

by Anonymousreply 3201/10/2013

sorry, However!

by Anonymousreply 3301/10/2013

Germany is a gorgeous and fascinating country. I can understand why few Germans move away from Germany. it really is a fantastic place in so many ways. And I have never ever heard any anti-Semitic or racist comments from any German. They are probably the most politically correct people on earth, and my gay friends who live there are very happy with their level of acceptance. What other country has gay mayors of two of its largest cities? - as is the case in Berlin and Hamburg.

I find Germany enchanting.

by Anonymousreply 3401/10/2013

R34 = Miss Angela Merkel

by Anonymousreply 3501/10/2013

LOL at Americans yapping about bigotry in Germany. That's like Compton complaining about the low standard of living in Beverly Hills.

by Anonymousreply 3601/10/2013

Thanks, R30, 31, 32.

I've spent a lot of time in Germany, but never in the East (except for Berlin).

I really want to see the Spreewald.

by Anonymousreply 3701/10/2013

[quote]What's Stuttgart like? My cousin lives there

I lived and worked in Stuttgart for awhile. Enjoyed it very much. Nice neighborhoods, excellent restaurants, wonderful shopping, and great transportation facilities. Fantastic hiking trails all around.

A good starting place for weekend getaways to the north, down to Bavaria and Switzerland, over to France or Austria.

It was a bit difficult to understand the German of the people when up north around Hamburg but I had no problem in lower Germany, Switzerland, and Austria. It was like going to Birmingham, Alabama here in the States and trying to figure out what the hell they're saying.

by Anonymousreply 3801/10/2013

Bigotry in Germany is equal to the Southern USA.

by Anonymousreply 3901/19/2013
Need more help? Click Here.