Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What makes Starbucks coffee so special?

SO many people love that brand of coffee. I tried it and found it actually weird tasting. I'm a Tim Hortons regular and I can't understand this attraction to the brand. I am told by friends that people pay for the atmosphere there.

by Anonymousreply 18012/30/2014

Don't know. I prefer making my own coffee at home with an entire bag that costs the same as 1 cup out, usually Dunkin Donuts. I like Tim Horton's, too. I think I get an XL coffee there for about $1.30. I used to get Starbucks frappe-type drinks, but at $5 each I can make those at home with a cheap machine, also.

As far as atmosphere goes, all the Starbucks around me have less atmosphere than a Subway. Some of the Panera Breads have decent atmosphere, but none of these chain places tend to offer anything more than the typical strip mall or fast food joint.

by Anonymousreply 101/09/2013

I've never liked the flavor of Starbuck's coffee.

Their ice cream, however, is delicious; the best coffee ice cream ever and trust me, I've tried them all.

by Anonymousreply 201/09/2013

I dont know if this is still true, but I used to work with a guy from India and his uncle owned a bunch of DDs (shocking, I know). Anyway, he told me that according to his uncle, DD always outbids its competitors for the best coffee beans. I dont doubt it, because its damn good for fast food coffee.

by Anonymousreply 501/09/2013

[quote]Don't know. I prefer making my own coffee at home with an entire bag that costs the same as 1 cup out, usually Dunkin Donuts. I like Tim Horton's, too. I think I get an XL coffee there for about $1.30. I used to get Starbucks frappe-type drinks, but at $5 each I can make those at home with a cheap machine, also.

Ditto. I make better coffee with my machine at home and I don't have to go out or pay a ridiculous amount.

IMO people like to think they're being trendy when they go to Starbucks and think they're special when hold a stupid cup with the Starbucks logo on it.

by Anonymousreply 601/09/2013

I never knew starbucks was special.

by Anonymousreply 701/09/2013

I only get the iced Americanos at Starbucks. They're worth it on a hot summer day. Really hits the spot.

by Anonymousreply 801/09/2013

It's awful. It tastes burned.

by Anonymousreply 901/09/2013

I'm with OP, it has a strange flavor. I expected much more, but it was nothing special and kind of odd. I haven't had it since.

by Anonymousreply 1001/09/2013

I've only tried it once at the airport in Atlanta, and a couple of times at turnpike service plazas, and I thought it was so expensive because airports and turnpike plazas are always overpriced. But I did not notice anything special about, nor did I notice anything wrong with it. I'm from Louisiana so naturally very strong Community brand coffee with chicory is what I like.

by Anonymousreply 1101/09/2013

7-11, Dunkin' Donuts, and McDonald's all have better coffee than Starbucks, if all you want is a good cup of coffee.

by Anonymousreply 1201/09/2013

McDonald's has been the real game changer of late. Their coffee is getting compliments from people who drink at Tim Horton's and Starbucks. Aroma, the Israeli chain, is in NYC and Toronto mostly. Their coffee is great but stronger than the other local chains.

by Anonymousreply 1301/09/2013

I used to like Starbuck's because their staff all knew how to make a dry cappuccino - anywhere. . You might get a better cappuccino at an independent coffee place, but if you didn't already know where to go you were way more likely to get something kind of horrible that you'd have to throw out.

It's kind of like McDonalds in that you knew exactly what you were going to get.

Then something changed and now Starbuck's is as much of a crapshoot as any other coffee place.

by Anonymousreply 1401/09/2013

Peasants, the lot of you.

by Anonymousreply 1501/09/2013

And that odd flavor in the drip coffee is extra caffein. The NY Times did a piece a few years back which found that Starbucks had twice the caffein of other brands.

by Anonymousreply 1601/09/2013

I've also been impressed with McDonald's coffee. For many years I tried to avoid McDonald's and then they started serving breakfast. I don't know how people who can't make a simple hamburger that is fit to eat can turn around and do breakfast food which is usually at least mediocre. Nowadays I have long since given up on good food, and I am pleased to find mediocre food away from home.

by Anonymousreply 1701/09/2013

Rich people drink it.

by Anonymousreply 1801/09/2013

Dunkin Donuts tastes like water with a brown crayon dipped in it. And - at least in NYC - the "baristas" have to add your milk product from behind the counter, and don't understand any way to do that other than making the coffee white. I see people walking around with cups of white iced beverages from there and it makes me want to puke. I got iced coffee there once because it was convenient and it was orange. ORANGE. The "barista" had to assure me it was indeed coffee, because it looked like tea to me. I took one sip and had to throw it out.

by Anonymousreply 1901/09/2013

McDonalds always set the standard for good fast food coffee. I've never had bad, too long on the burner coffee there.

I think Americans are used to blander coffees so that's why chains like Dunkin' Donuts are popular. The quality is consistent, but there's nothing bold or very flavorful about it.

How does Tim Horton's compare other chains?

by Anonymousreply 2101/09/2013

Yes Mommy.

by Anonymousreply 2201/09/2013

R19 is on to something. A lot of the times the workers don't know how to actually make a good cup of coffee. It's why I've had good and bad coffee at Stabucks, Dunkin Donuts, McDonalds, Coffee Bean, indie coffehouses.

by Anonymousreply 2301/09/2013

That's one thing that I find immensely annoying about Dunkin' Donuts, R19. I haven't had it since I left Chicago about 4 years ago, but the custom there was for the server to put ungodly amounts of creamer and sugar in it behind the counter. No sugar is an easy order, but "easy on the milk" produced all sorts of results, usually on the too white side. I think they don't want to cede control over milk/sugar to the customers because it would create crowds that don't easily disperse. Also, in some areas they'd have to deal with sugar packet theft. I'm not kidding.

by Anonymousreply 2401/09/2013

[quote]How does Tim Horton's compare other chains?

Personally, I found it vile, but I drink my coffee black and I get the impression that Tim Horton's is meant to be adulterated.

by Anonymousreply 2501/09/2013

Although I made snarky comments above I have to agree Starbucks is better than other chain coffee. A little on the burnt side but actually drinkable and good. The breakfast food are not so bad either and a good deal cheaper than most hotel breakfasts. When I'm staying at a hotel with a Starbucks attached or next door I usually run downstairs to have coffee and breakfast there.

by Anonymousreply 2601/09/2013

[quote]IMO people like to think they're being trendy when they go to Starbucks and think they're special when hold a stupid cup with the Starbucks logo on it.

Maybe a few people, and maybe even more when Starbucks was the big story during its rapid expansion, but now? I don't think so.

I don't like Starbucks, but by this point it's so "special" simply because a mass audience has become used to it. It's like people who really like Diet Coke more than other diet beverages. It doesn't mean Diet Coke is actually a great beverage, just that it's the go-to for many people.

by Anonymousreply 2701/09/2013

People who say that they like Tim Horton's and/or Dunkin' Donuts are fans of hot chocolate, not coffee.

REAL coffee is nothing like either of those things. I'm not saying they aren't refreshing, nor am I being a snob. But real honest to goodness coffee is NOT Tim's or Dunkin and quite frankly, even Starbucks is underwhelming.

by Anonymousreply 2801/09/2013

Did anyone from the Pacific Northwest get to try that $80 bag of Costa Rica coffee Starbucks was selling over the holidays?

by Anonymousreply 2901/09/2013

It's crap. I've tried and tried and tried to like thier coffee and I just can't.

Sure if you load it up with a cup of sugar or syrup it's tolerable bit the fact that people associate Coffee with this companies product speaks VOLUMES for good marketing.

by Anonymousreply 3001/09/2013

Tim Hortons coffee tastes like boiled dogshit, but since they roast the beans with nicotine, it keeps idiots addicted and willing to line up for that vile swill. Plus they don't let you mix in your own milk or sugar which is even worse.

by Anonymousreply 3101/09/2013

R6 you sound ridiculous. Starbucks is as ubiquitious as any other fast food chain, no one is walking around feeling like they're smug because they have a Starbucks cup. You sound insecure.

Tim Hortons is swill, I concur with TVotN. I am a West Coaster, and when I have to spend significant time in the NE, it's like living a nightmare. Dunkin Donuts is pretty terrible, and I would rather drink hotel coffee than that.

As far as chains, I've always like the Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf, and Seattle's Best was my fave before Borders went belly up. Starbucks is okay--their espresso drinks are better than the brewed coffee, which tastes artificial and burned to me. The Americano is the only thing I really order, unless I'm looking for dessert, then I go for a mocha.

McDonalds coffee is great, I will concur.

by Anonymousreply 3201/09/2013

Okay, R28, so why not share with us what kind of coffee you drink?

What do you prefer VOTN?

by Anonymousreply 3401/09/2013

R32 = Thinks he is better than everyone else.

If you weren't a snob, you wouldn't have to keep pointing out that you're not.

by Anonymousreply 3501/09/2013

Making my own, if at all possible.

Then probably 7-11's dark roast, Starbucks' Pike Place, and McDonalds, in that order.

I was a barista at a student coffeehouse in college. I don't consider myself a snob, but I am particular, and I generally prefer the coffee be strong enough to have a spoon stand up straight in it.

I've kind of wanted to get one of those Keurig pod-brewers, because I drink coffee and my husband does not, and the two-cup coffee maker makes slightly too much for just me, but I didn't discover under recently that you can get empty pods to fill with your own coffee.

by Anonymousreply 3601/09/2013

What I like about Starbucks is those little iced vanilla bean scones, so I stay away. There's a Starbucks in the next block and I've only been there twice.

To save anyone the trouble, I weigh 550 pounds and I'm 4'1".

by Anonymousreply 3701/09/2013

I'm a Pete's Man.

Can't live without it.

Starbucks nickname Charbucks, because they burn the beans longer than other roasters.

by Anonymousreply 3801/09/2013

R36 , Keurig sells refillable cups that you can use with your own ground beans...bought one here in Canada for $20. LOVE it, makes perfect one cup brews...can even select stronger or weaker settings as well.

It's those fucking Tassimo shit boxes that you cannot use anything except their godamnned pods.

by Anonymousreply 3901/09/2013

r31 - No, Tim Horton's coffee does not contain nicotine. Do you believe every urban legend you hear?

I agree with r32. I can't believe people think that Starbucks has any sort of snob appeal. They're in Safeways, ffs.

by Anonymousreply 4001/09/2013

[quote]I can't believe people think that Starbucks has any sort of snob appeal.

When people spend $5 on one stupid cup of coffee, it comes off as if they think they're special. Or maybe they're just too stupid to realize paying $5 for a cup of coffee is absurd.

by Anonymousreply 4101/09/2013

[quote]I can't believe people think that Starbucks has any sort of snob appeal. They're in Safeways, ffs.

And China.

by Anonymousreply 4201/09/2013

Do you mind if I splurge and act pretentious for a few minutes once a week?

by Anonymousreply 4301/09/2013

R14, what happened is they changed their espresso machines. Now the milk gets heated while the shot pours from a timer and the barista can run around doing 12 other things at the same time. They've lost all the artistry of making a decent head of foam.

I drink Starbucks all the time, but it's because I live in Seattle where there's one every two feet. It's a matter of convenience. And I always get a non-fat double tall latte with extra foam and it's just under 3 bucks.

I don't they are anywhere outside of the Pacific NW, but the best cappuccino comes from Peet's. Their coffee is wonderful. They have lovely teas, as well. And they really know how to educate their staff.

by Anonymousreply 4401/09/2013

[quote]....I get the impression that Tim Horton's is meant to be adulterated.

That must be why everyone who goes there orders "double-double" (2 cream/2 sugar.) Yes, they are often obese. It's shite.

by Anonymousreply 4501/09/2013

I first visited Seattle around 1986 or so, and Starbucks was a novelty to me. I moved there two years later and it was still regional.

When I moved there, I thought their coffee was a bit burnt and much preferred Seattle's Best. As I lived there longer I discovered all the strange little tucked away places that had good coffee.

I'm wondering. Did Starbucks fuck up Seattle's Best, in terms of a brand? Or is it still OK for corporate chain coffee?

by Anonymousreply 4601/09/2013

I think it is just Vienna Roast.

Vienna Roast disappeared from my supermarket when Starbucks went viral

by Anonymousreply 4701/09/2013

[quote] Okay, [R28], so why not share with us what kind of coffee you drink?

I drink a brand out of Philadelphia called La Colombe. They sell it here in Chicago. I also drink Intelligensia coffee.

I don't think of this in "snob" terms. I am not making fun of anyone's tastes. It's just a matter of national preference, really.

But as far as what the majority of the world would consider to be coffee, we have little of it in the US. Tim's and Dunkin is essentially coffee flavored hot chocolate. Even Starbucks is generally sweeter when compared to elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 4801/09/2013

R31, could you please fill us in about the time you drank boiled dog shit, otherwise how would you know to make the comparison?

by Anonymousreply 4901/09/2013

More about Tim Hortons coffee, please, as it is mostly just a name in the US

by Anonymousreply 5001/09/2013

Like r44 stated, it's mostly about convenience. It's actually brilliant saturation marketing on their part. I can't go a mile in any direction from home or office without running into a Starbucks.

Some of their blends are okay to good, but some are absolutely nasty. I think they sell unsold Christmas Blend & Pike's Place to Southwest Airlines to fuel their jets.

I'm to the point I'd like to start supporting locally owned & operated cafes. In fact, this Saturday I'll be at Vail, and I've decided to hit up Loaded Joe's or Yeti's Grind. I'm going to avoid the tempting Starbucks location directly on the walking route from the Village parking structure to the Covered Bridge.

by Anonymousreply 5201/09/2013

R51 how does Nespresso compare with other pod coffee machines? I had Nespresso in a couple of my hotel rooms on a recent visit to Europe And thought it was pretty decent.

by Anonymousreply 5301/09/2013

I was surprised how good Nespresso is. It's not the best coffee you'll ever drink but it's on par with most good espresso machine coffees. I guess by my own lofty standards I'm a philistine myself, drinking Nestle coffee.

by Anonymousreply 5401/09/2013

If you mean Peet's Coffee, R38, I agree with you. I'm from the Bay Area originally, where Peet's was born, and IMO it serves the best coffee.

by Anonymousreply 5501/10/2013

Soylent Brown.

by Anonymousreply 5601/10/2013

it's like the McDonald's of coffee, nothing special but you know EXACTLY what you'll get.

by Anonymousreply 5701/10/2013

When I moved from Europe to Canada some 20 years ago, a friend took me to Tim Hortons. After I had a couple of sips, I wanted to vomit. It tasted like mud dissolved in water with sickly amounts of sugar added to it. I suspect their shit coffee is sourced from industrial waste from some third world country. I find Starbucks quite overroasted in taste but it's a vast improvement over Tim Hortons. Having a good coffee shop in the neighbourhood and a decent espresso machine and a Bialetti stove top coffee maker at home, I don't recall the last time I went to either of those two chains.

by Anonymousreply 5801/10/2013

Is it true about the nicotine in Tim Horton's?

by Anonymousreply 5901/11/2013

Peet's is much better. Starbucks is too burnt and acidic.

by Anonymousreply 6001/11/2013

MSG - a glutamate, meaning flavour enhancer

Since glutamates are important neurotransmitters in the human brain, playing a key element in learning and memory, there is ongoing study by neurologists about possible side-effects of MSG in food but no conclusive studies drawing any connections

I avoid Starbucks

by Anonymousreply 6101/11/2013

Starbucks coffee might have been good back in the early days, but not any more. There's a reason why they sell so many of those awful sweetened, blended drinks.

We buy whole roasted beans from Peets and brew coffee at home. Peets has great beans and it's much more economical.

by Anonymousreply 6201/11/2013

Its a proven fact that starbucks has a higher amount of caffeine added to their coffee. People are addicted to the higher level of caffeine, not the shiity tasting starbucks product!

by Anonymousreply 6301/11/2013

starbucks tastes like shit

by Anonymousreply 6401/11/2013

R48 is right, coffee in North America isn't what the rest of the world drinks. It's not a question of better or worse, just your personal taste. I'm European, I don't like the North American taste in coffee, too burnt and flavourless for me, but I'm guessing a lot of North Americans wouldn't like my preferred coffee (Kenyan blue mountain roast). There are some coffee houses in London that have been there since the 1600s where the coffee is amazing but the surroundings are even better.

by Anonymousreply 6501/11/2013

r59 & r63 - CBC did a story investigating rumours about Tim Horton's. They tested coffee from Tim's, Starbucks & Second Cup, and Starbucks' regular coffee had a mid-level of caffeine. Tim's had the least. None of them contained nicotine or MSG.

by Anonymousreply 6601/12/2013

I hate Starbuck's. Like Dunkin Donuts and Gevalia. Haven't been to McDonald's in years but I did used to like their coffee.

by Anonymousreply 6701/12/2013

When I lived in Seattle, the smoothest naked coffee was from Torrefazzione and Seattle's Best. SB is great 'black', very smooth.

I haven't found a Starbuck's brew that I like, and their shop coffee is gross and burnt tasting. However, Starbuck's Via powder makes for some seriously smooth tasty coffee. It's not cheap but it's great for travel - you just need hot water. The less expensive powder coffee singles aren't as tasty as the Starbucks.

by Anonymousreply 6901/12/2013

I used to buy Sulawesi blend at Starbucks, but it hasn't been available in years. Very smooth blend with a really bright flavor. Via is expensive, but it's still less than buying a cup on the run.

by Anonymousreply 7001/12/2013

[quote]I'm European, I don't like the North American taste in coffee

What do you mean, you're European? There's no such thing.

You're fucking ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 7101/12/2013

European would be from the continent of Europe. We also say Asian to refer to people from the continent of Asia and some use it to self identify.

R71 YOU are fucking ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 7201/12/2013

[quote]some use it to self identify.

Tell them to stop it...NOW! It's idiotic.

by Anonymousreply 7301/12/2013

I use Starbucks Veranada Blend in my Keurig because I don't like strong coffee. Love the taste. Hate Tim Horton's.

by Anonymousreply 7401/12/2013

Starbucks have shifted their focus from making coffee to peddling these ridiculous concoctions such as pumpkin spiced lattes and frappuccinos. So, of course, the quality of coffee beans, roasting, etc, becomes a secondary concern.

by Anonymousreply 7501/12/2013

The heroin.

by Anonymousreply 7601/12/2013

Tully's. thank you Patrick Dempsey.

I use it in my Kuerig, Italian Roast is my favorite.

I do go to Starbucks regularly because they are the closest thing. I get regular coffee and seasonally I enjoy a gingerbread latte. It's the only specialty drink I ever get because to me it tastes like a holiday. I'm sure it's full of crap.

The tassimo is a pain in the ass. It never works right half the time.

I've also enjoyed nespresso in a few hotels but the Kuerig is easier to buy for but it doesn't to milk for cappuccinos and such.

I love coffee.

by Anonymousreply 7701/12/2013

[quote]Kuerig is easier to buy for but it doesn't to milk for cappuccinos and such.

It doesn't make espresso for cappuccinos either. Cappuccinos are made from espresso and milk, not coffee and milk.

We got the CBTL (Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf) machine that has coffee *and* espresso pods. It's surprisingly delicious. The espresso is damn good.

by Anonymousreply 7801/12/2013

Starbucks coffee is AWFUL

I heard a coffee expert on NPR say that Dunkin Donuts coffee is actually better.

They asked him "why is Starbucks' coffee so bitter?" He said they over-roast the beans, mixing low quality beans in with good ones, to get uniform "flavor".

I like Dunkin's better, always have

by Anonymousreply 7901/12/2013

CBTL machine:

by Anonymousreply 8001/12/2013

Why is Tim Hortons always full of fat people ?

by Anonymousreply 8101/12/2013

Van Houtte

by Anonymousreply 8201/12/2013

Where the sugar is, there the fat folk gather.

by Anonymousreply 8301/12/2013

R71. Europe is a real place. If you ever get out of your muumuu long enough to get a passport and travel a bit you'd find that out.

FYI. Africa is also a real place. That's where African people come from. Asia is real too. That's where Asian people come from.

Narnia isn't real. Not even if you spend your whole life in that closet looking for it.

by Anonymousreply 8401/12/2013

The prestige of carrying around a cup with a label on it showing that you spent 6 to 7 bucks on coffee.

by Anonymousreply 8501/12/2013

7 11 coffee gives me the hershey squirts every time.

by Anonymousreply 8601/12/2013

I was just wondering this the other day. Coffee has gotten so much better. The coffee in my office is as good as Starbucks now.

by Anonymousreply 8701/12/2013

A cup of coffee at Starbucks doesn't cost $6 to $7 R85, quit perpetuating that lie.

by Anonymousreply 8801/18/2013

Hate Starbucks coffee... it all tastes like jet fuel.

And what genius names a blend Pike? Just what a I want: a coffee named after a fish with teeth.

by Anonymousreply 8901/18/2013

Pike's Place is the location of the original store, I think.

by Anonymousreply 9001/18/2013

What the hell is wrong with Dunkin Donut's Raspberry iced-tea? Tastes like I imagine cyanide would.

by Anonymousreply 9101/18/2013

I find it especially awful.

by Anonymousreply 9201/19/2013

I find it vile and charred.

by Anonymousreply 9301/19/2013

They were having a half-price special last week on Frappuccinos, and since I never go to Starbucks since it's ridiculously expensive, I decided to get one to try it since it would be half price.

I was beyond underwhelmed. I got a medium (grande) and almost every sip was practically just air. Who in the fuck buys this rip-off shit on a regular basis? Well, at least I remembered why I don't go there in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 9405/12/2014

It always taste burnt to me.

by Anonymousreply 9505/12/2014

One of Starbucks' buyers think everyone wants to drink burnt tasting coffee.

I like some Starbucks beans, such as Pike Place roast, and their Winter Blend is good, but their coffee beans are not good for lattes. I bought a good espresso machine, and make my own lattes. So much better.

by Anonymousreply 9605/12/2014

I don't know(I hate coffee), but my sister is a coffeee fanatic and she and her husband buy 2 bags a wk from the Fresh Market or Kroger.

by Anonymousreply 9705/12/2014

Another vote for Tim Horton's.

by Anonymousreply 9805/12/2014

I like Chock full o'Nuts...

by Anonymousreply 9905/12/2014

Green Mountain Rain Forrest Crunch

by Anonymousreply 10005/12/2014

7,298,479 votes for Tim Horton

by Anonymousreply 10105/12/2014

Add my vote for Tim Horton's. Starbuck's taste burnt to me and I have to add extra cream.

by Anonymousreply 10205/12/2014

i think when it is made by a snobby gay dude it is just more special

by Anonymousreply 10305/12/2014

And yet Starbucks remains in business and continues to grow.

Peet's is better although if it sits around too long in the store it tastes like something you'd use to clean engine parts. Le Colombe has come to DC and also is very good. Peet's is now owned by the same people as Caribou and is replacing Caribou in many locations (thank God).

Seattles Best is owned by Starbucks and obviously is treated as their B-brand. It tastes like dishwater. Dunkin isn't bad but their donuts suck and aren't worth a visit.

by Anonymousreply 10405/12/2014

I only drink it at home, but I like Pike Place Roast. And it isn't burnt. Only a coffee pussy could call it burnt.

by Anonymousreply 10505/12/2014

I bought Starbucks stock back in 1995 and had to sell it in 1997 when I was unemployed for awhile. I wish I still had that damn stock.

by Anonymousreply 10605/12/2014

I only drink black coffee and our office coffee is terrible (a nasty Flavia machine) so I do spend $2.09 each workday at Starbucks. I like my coffee dark (burnt as some would say) and other places (7-11, Dunkin) just taste weak to me.

by Anonymousreply 10705/12/2014

Burnt and bitter. Like many DLers?

by Anonymousreply 10805/12/2014

Rainforest Crunch? What a bizarre name for a beverage. Sounds like candy.

by Anonymousreply 10905/12/2014

for a long time, Dunkin' Donuts coffee gave me headache (a real headache), eventually I figured it out, it's their artificial ingredients, their flavor syrups like Almond, Hazelnut etc are artificially made, and the people work at DD (most are college students) don't really know/care how to brew a cup of coffee, and they tend to put too much sugar and cream in your coffee. Ever since, I just order black coffee from them and it's much better.

by Anonymousreply 11005/12/2014

McDonalds & Tim Horton‘s.

by Anonymousreply 11105/13/2014

I go there almost every day. It's a habit. I don't find their coffee as good as the ones at 7-11, or MacDonald's, however.

Sometimes it's too crowded, and I have to leave.

by Anonymousreply 11205/13/2014

It kind of blows my mind how much better McDonald's coffee is than Starbucks'. Not that McD's is my "go-to" at all, but it is fucking cheap.

I live in NYC. I go to a real coffee shop, one of the best ones in the city (Village Voice picked it as the city's best a couple years ago), get a pourover. They sell the beans they use -- Counterculture Coffee. Fantastic. I grind 'em at home and brew my own in my Chemex pot.

Going to Starbucks or DD or Tim Horton's every day? Pffft.

by Anonymousreply 11305/13/2014

It's funny because we just got Starbucks here in Norway a couple of years ago, and the people testing the coffee hated it and said it tasted like pee.. lol.

by Anonymousreply 11409/19/2014

[quote]I find it vile and charred.

You're not alone, R93. Ever hear the nickname "Charbucks?"

The only Starbucks coffees that aren't roasted to hell are the "blond" blends. They're drinkable but have a weak flavor profile. They also sit around longer because people order the standard brew, so they're more likely to burn in the pot.

Lightly roasted beans brings out the subtleties in their flavor. It's why "third wave" roasters (e.g., Counter Culture, Intelligentsia, Stumptown, etc) that carefully sources their beans use only use light-medium roasts. Coffee shops that sell premium beans generally eschew flavorings. To a certain extent coffee preferences are about developing a palate, much like wines.

All that said, when I can't find a real coffee shop I'll take Dunkin Donuts over Starbucks.

by Anonymousreply 11509/19/2014

People who do not know how to brew coffee worship quick stops like Starbucks. They really have no coffee taste. They want instant gratification. Laziness.

Buy a bag of French roast beans and grind them in your grinder and brew a pot of drip or percolated coffee and you'll see that it tastes much better than that expensive Starbucks stuff.

I find that liquid creamer really enhances the taste, with one sugar cube in it. Real good to wake up to.

by Anonymousreply 11609/19/2014

I buy bags of Starbucks coffee from time to time. I much prefer to drink coffee at home. I find all coffee that comes in paper cups to taste strange. If I drink something at a Starbucks store, it's usually iced coffee.

I like Starbucks' Anniversary Blend, which is available now. But those of you who find their coffee "charred" may not like it, as it's a dark roast, which I love. Their medium-roast Pike Place Blend is one of my favorites all year long.

by Anonymousreply 11709/19/2014

[quote]I find that liquid creamer really enhances the taste, with one sugar cube in it.

Then you have no business recommending coffee to anyone else.

by Anonymousreply 11809/19/2014

The most overpriced swill. McDonald's is drinkable (even good) and cheap.

by Anonymousreply 11909/19/2014

It's a matter of taste. I like the taste of a dark-roasted espresso shot. It's great on its own or with some hot water in an Americano, or with a bit of steamed milk.

To me drip coffee at donut chains or hamburger joints usually tastes like dish water, but lots of people like that.

There are enough small-batch coffee roasters around now that coffee lovers don't need to go to Starbucks anymore but I appreciate that for years they were almost the only game in town if you wanted a coffee that tasted like something you could get on any street corner in France, Italy or Spain.

by Anonymousreply 12009/19/2014

Can you get a latte at McDonalds?

by Anonymousreply 12109/19/2014

I like Folger's, it's mountain grown.

by Anonymousreply 12209/19/2014

Starbucks is nothing special. I hate Tim Horton's lids, so I recently started going to McDonald's and Speedway gas stations for coffee.

I'm a black coffee only drinker and I would like to find something better out there "to go" but none of the options are great.

by Anonymousreply 12309/19/2014

Starbacks is not the greatest coffee, but the pastries are decent and it originally offered a coffee house ambiance that was rare in a lot of cities. I was impressed when I visited my first Starbucks on a visit to Seattle 20 years ago, now they are everywhere.

There specialty drinks are better than there basic house coffee. I used to stop every morning on my way to work just for the crazy scene. I worked in an isolated suite and it was a fun little people fix.

At home I have an old fashioned percolator and use Folgers coffee. It is delicious. There are a few coffees I like better but they're more expensive. Taylor Maid is my favorite.

by Anonymousreply 12409/19/2014

That burnt-rubber taste is what has earned it the nickname 'Charbucks'. I laugh every time I see cars lined up at the drive-through. Or fat fraus trotting around, sucking on whatever humongous iced coffee drink they just bought.

by Anonymousreply 12509/19/2014

Yes, R21, you can get a latte at McDonalds, at least at certain ones.

R90, the first Starbucks was not in the Pike Place Market (not Pike's Place), so called because it is at the foot of Pike Street in downtown Seattle. The first Starbucks was at 2000 Western, a few blocks north. It then moved to the Pike Place Market a few years later.

by Anonymousreply 12609/19/2014

Didn't Tim Horton's get sold to a U.S. burger chain?

by Anonymousreply 12709/19/2014

Yes, Burger King is buying it, supposedly so it can relocate its headquarters to Canada and at least partially avoid American corporate taxes.

by Anonymousreply 12809/19/2014

I was recently in Canada and i must say that the coffee sucks over there. For the first 2 days, I was buying a cup of coffee and throwing it away after 2 sips. Then I went into Starbucks, bought a latte and managed to drink the entire cup.

So, still not a Starbucks fan, but it helped me in Canada.

Love the country and the people though.

by Anonymousreply 12909/19/2014

I love my Tim Horton's, anywhere, anytime. I hope the King doesn't try to put a royal spin on my coffee.

by Anonymousreply 13009/19/2014

I don't like Starbucks, it's over-roasted and tastes and smells burnt. My partner ADORES it though and is always teasing me about drinking "dishwater". No, I use Stumptown Coffee and that TASTES like coffee, not like engine oil.

by Anonymousreply 13109/19/2014

I agree with R131. It tastes a bit acidic/burnt. As far as chains go, to my taste Dunkin Donuts has better-tasting coffee than most others, including Starbucks. I like Starbucks' foofy flavored latte concoctions once in a while though.

by Anonymousreply 13209/19/2014

Starbucks is just Vienna Roast

by Anonymousreply 13309/19/2014

One of the most confused coffee moments I've (west coast person) had was ordering "just a regular coffee" at a Dunkin Donuts in Boston. Wait, what? What is this? "It's a regular coffee!"

by Anonymousreply 13409/19/2014

Unless you had access to Italian, French or Latin businesses, coffee could be appalling in the US. Drip-brewed, cooked on burners. Could be awful.

Starbucks provide dependable, predictable coffee, and a "third place" gathering spot, 15 or 20 years ago.

The espresso was always better tgan the brewed coffee, especially befire they went to be mechanized espresso machines. But Starbucks forced others to up their game. You wouldn't have McCafes without Starbucks.

Their Casi Cielo coffee, in January, is quite good. But the standard btewed coffee is unpleasant. The Seattle's Best was much better. The stores were nicer 10, 15 years ago.

Nordstrom cafés make much better coffee, if you're looking for good coffee.

by Anonymousreply 13509/19/2014

Starbucks is undrinkable swill. How can it taste both burnt and raw at the same time? Yet it does.

I buy Dunkin Donuts coffee at the grocery store. When I order a cup at one of their stores, I get half and half in those little single serve cups...I have never heard of the employees putting creamer in your coffee behind the counter. I wouldn't buy it if they did.

by Anonymousreply 13609/19/2014

Starbucks iced frappuccinos are great. Their hot coffee drinks are awful.

by Anonymousreply 13709/19/2014

Starbucks tastes burnt because it is. They burn their beans way too damn dark.

by Anonymousreply 13809/19/2014

I rarely go to Starbucks, but I used to order iced coffee (I get it black, no sugar). I never used to have to tell them "no sugar" but recently when I ordered it and tasted it, they had put sugar in it. Is this new? Are they now putting sugar in it unless you specific "no sugar"?

by Anonymousreply 13909/19/2014

by Anonymousreply 14009/19/2014

Usually they ask, R139. But it is annoying. I've taken to asking for "iced coffee with nothing in it but ice and coffee."

Starbucks coffee isn't objectively bad, IMO. There are just people who don't like it. And there's nothing wrong with that. There are plenty of other places for haters to buy coffee.

by Anonymousreply 14109/20/2014

Tim Horton's tastes burned to me. Starbucks is just good, strong coffee. I'm assuming anyone for whom it's too strong wouldn't drink real Italian or French coffee. The best coffee is in a real Italian or French cafe, obviously. Unfortunately, I live and work in midtown Manhattan and there are none as this area caters to the baby tastes of the American tourists. Starbucks is the next best thing.

by Anonymousreply 14209/20/2014

Starbucks tastes like bat guano.

by Anonymousreply 14309/20/2014

Nothing. And it's way, way overpriced.

by Anonymousreply 14409/21/2014

Starbucks being "overpriced" is an urban legend. Compare prices to other chains.

Starbucks small, medium and large coffee: $1.45 $1.65 $1.75

Dunkin Donuts small, medium and large coffee: $1.49 $1.79 $1.99

by Anonymousreply 14509/21/2014

Starbucks giving away 'coffee for life,' as long as you only live for the next 30 years

by Anonymousreply 14610/21/2014

Starbucks is loved because its caffeine content is so high.

It's loved like cocaine is loved.

by Anonymousreply 14710/21/2014

I'm having Starbucks today bitches!

by Anonymousreply 14812/10/2014

Instant coffee, baby!

It's what the non-herd, coffee intelligentsia are enjoying these days.

by Anonymousreply 14912/10/2014

R145 it's not the regular coffee that's expensive but the mixed drinks. A large latte can be $6. Milk isn't THAT expensive.

by Anonymousreply 15012/10/2014

One large latte costs twice that in my country, R150. And no.. I'm not joking. I live in the most expensive country in the world.

by Anonymousreply 15112/10/2014

I drove cross country from California to North Carolina and back in 2012. I'm not a coffee drinker, but I needed it for the 8-10 hour drive per day. I tried the McD's coffee and it was bitter like my soul.

Starbucks was much better, and I have to say I was happy to see one amidst the fast food chains along the drive- I could actually relax for 10 minutes, check my email and eat some of their non-preprocessed meals.

I did try the Nespresso with foamed milk, and that was smooth- no bitter lingering aftertaste or coating on the tongue.

My ex BF used to work for Peet's back in the mid 80's- they really prided themselves in their coffees and tried not to sell out like Starbucks but franchising their stores or mass marketing their product.

by Anonymousreply 15212/10/2014

It's Vienna Roast. It is.

by Anonymousreply 15312/10/2014

It's all about the love, Peaches.

by Anonymousreply 15412/10/2014

R150, I realize that and so do you, but usually when you hear people scoff about Starbucks they say something about how it's $4 for a cup of coffee or something, pointing out the crazy high prices. They're not talking about lattes, etc., because these are generally the same people who wouldn't go near those kind of drinks.

by Anonymousreply 15512/10/2014

TALL, GRANDE, VENTI instead of SMALL, MEDIUM and Large...Starbucks started this shit and it's so pretentious!

by Anonymousreply 15612/11/2014

R155, are you really complaining about 4 or 6 $ coffee?!? Loooool. Try paying 10 $. That's the reality in my country.

by Anonymousreply 15712/12/2014

Ooooh, look at me! I live in the most expensive country in the world. It costs ten dollars to take a crap so I have to vomit my shit!

by Anonymousreply 15812/12/2014

I'm having Starbucks again today. I like it. All the haters can gtfo.

by Anonymousreply 15912/12/2014

tastes like dirty anus

by Anonymousreply 16012/12/2014

What r2 said. Best coffee ice cream, ever. I could eat an entire container in one sitting. As for the brewed coffee, meh. Too roasted and burnt tasting. The atmosphere in any Starbucks is mall food court at best.

For better coffee and atmosphere, seek out an indy coffee shop. One near me is very elegant and neo-classical, another very artsy with paintings for sale and colorful furniture. Plus, if the coffee or baked goods aren't up to par, changes are made fast. Plus, they don't care if you stay and knit or read for a long time.

by Anonymousreply 16112/12/2014

I hate the faux French-Italian-Spanish names and atmosphre

by Anonymousreply 16212/12/2014

I'm hooked on Starbucks' Verona and Gold Coast but I buy the beans and make it at home. Yum!

by Anonymousreply 16312/12/2014

I buy it by the pound, and drink it at home. No coffee tastes good in one of those sippy cups.

by Anonymousreply 16412/12/2014

I'm actually at Starbucks right now. I'm drinking a white chocolate mocha.. yum!

by Anonymousreply 16512/12/2014

How can you drink sugar. Ewwww.

by Anonymousreply 16612/12/2014

[quote]Best coffee ice cream

Can you buy it at the supermarket?

by Anonymousreply 16712/12/2014

Tim Hortons isn't any better. The coffee is just as bad as Starbucks. Both use over roasted beans that ruin the flavor.

by Anonymousreply 16812/12/2014

Nothing. Label-conscious, status-minded, consumer whores who are ignorant enough to follow the herd believe Starbuck's when they tell these types of people their coffee is the best. The lowest common denomenator of society loves and needs to be seen with that logo on a paper cup.

by Anonymousreply 16912/12/2014

[quote] My ex BF used to work for Peet's back in the mid 80's- they really prided themselves in their coffees and tried not to sell out like Starbucks but franchising their stores or mass marketing their product.

I've been drinking Peet's since the mid 70s, when they only had 3 stores. Since moving to NY in 2001, I have it shipped out, Blend 101, whole bean for home, French press grind for the office. I drink it black, no sugar. When I used to travel 150+ nights a year, I would pack a single-cup French press and a bag of Peet's. It's an obsession, but it keeps me sane.

Never developed a taste for Starbucks

by Anonymousreply 17012/12/2014

I don't drink coffee now but when I lived in Boston years ago the secret to Dunkin's coffee was that it didn't make you immediately have to shit. You could race out of the house get a cup and then get stuck in traffic or on the subway and not have to worry about it. Don't know if that's still the case.

Their breakfast sandwiches are still to die for.

I'll have a sausage and egg on a croissant and a medium regular, please!

by Anonymousreply 17112/12/2014

"I don't drink coffee now but when I lived in Boston years ago the secret to Dunkin's coffee was that it didn't make you immediately have to shit"

Of course it didn't. Because it's so watered down it's not even coffee.

by Anonymousreply 17312/13/2014

I live in Gettysburg, Pa (site of the famous battle) and it is a very small town. We only just got our 1st Starbuck's last year. I still haven't gone there, though, because I've never had coffee at Starbuck's anywhere I've traveled that wasn't too strong. I think Starbuck's has more caffeine per cup because they make it too strong. I order Tim Horton's Decaf from and use it to blend with my Gevalia coffee in a 1/2 & 1/2 blend. The Gevalia Peaberry IS TO DIE FOR!!! Anyhoo, if I run out of Tim Horton's decaf, I'll buy Dunkin Donut's Decaf at the grocery store. The best coffee is what I brew at home to my own taste. If I have to get coffee outside of my home, McDonald's is the best, especially for the price! P.S. It's probably the TimBits at Tim Horton's in Canada that are making people fat. Yum Yum Yum.

by Anonymousreply 17412/13/2014

It's the flavah!

by Anonymousreply 17512/13/2014

Starbucks has the best takeout lids, but not the best coffee.

by Anonymousreply 17612/13/2014

Starbucks now offer the stopper with the lid, I suspect others may soon follow.

by Anonymousreply 17712/29/2014

Only Starbucks coffee one likes and can tolerate is their Sumatra. Everything else gives one cramps, is very acidic and over roasted. Has been that way ever since college.

And yes, SB is *NOT* often the best coffee to reach for to drink before or while driving. Well that is if the trip is of any duration and there aren't safe and clean road stops such as along the NJT or GSP.

Dunkin Donuts coffee actually comes out often more highly rated than Starbucks. For generations the top rated coffee has been Eight O'clock which one finds is still the best. If only they still sold Bokar blend....

by Anonymousreply 17812/29/2014

"Label-conscious, status-minded, consumer whores who are ignorant enough to follow the herd believe Starbuck's when they tell these types of people their coffee is the best. The lowest common denomenator of society loves and needs to be seen with that logo on a paper cup."

Oh yes. The lowest common denomInator who can spell and pluralize properly. Lowest of the low.

by Anonymousreply 17912/30/2014

Coffee, typically, wasn't that great at coffee shops and fast food places. Starbucks was one of the first to bring a different tasting coffee to the masses.

Not everyone liked it, but they were at the right place at the right time.

As a result, most other restaurants had to up their game with their coffee. Now, Starbucks is just one of many places serving better tasting coffee.

by Anonymousreply 18012/30/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!