Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

A bit of a dilemma here...

I wish to improve my writing and I have a bit of a problem. So we know that reading improves writing. I am overcome with the fear that spending too much time on DL might decrease my writing abilities because unfortunately there are a few dlers whose writing is atrocious.

So I am face with the following dilemma. I love DL but am afraid of what it may do to my writing abilities.

I have decided on the following course of action. Perhaps only visit DL 2 days of the week.

What do you think? Did posting on DL do any damage to your writing abilities?

by Anonymousreply 2901/09/2013

I think it's the wrong approach.

Datalounge can inspire you to create crazy characters, situations, and unique writing styles.

by Anonymousreply 101/09/2013

I ignore the stupid or badly written posts. I found that I got my editorial skills back when I only paid attention to coherent, fully formed posts that reflected thoughtful or critical writers.

by Anonymousreply 201/09/2013

R1, how does datalounge inspire you to have unique writing styles. Is it because you communicate more via written text that helps you develop your style.

Another thing, the grammar of the average dlers is absolutely atrocious. Do you think that will negatively impact me. I'm not really a great writer and am looking to improve so I am sort of "frightened" that this will damage my own writing (which is bad enough).

by Anonymousreply 301/09/2013

While reading good writing may help improve your own writing, OP, it doesn't necessarily follow that reading bad writing will worsen yours. Just make sure that bad writing isn't the *only* kind of writing you read. Spend as much time on DL as you like but be sure to read plenty of good writers, too.

by Anonymousreply 401/09/2013

[quote]unfortunately there are a few dlers whose writing is atrocious.

DataLounge is the least of your concerns, dear.

by Anonymousreply 501/09/2013

[quote]Another thing, the grammar of the average dlers is absolutely atrocious. Do you think that will negatively impact me.

by Anonymousreply 601/09/2013

Bad writing could offer a good plot.

by Anonymousreply 701/09/2013

I never know if to put a period inside or outside quotes, or if starting a sentence with "and" is still taboo or the right way to use the apostrophe. I passed high school and college English courses with ok grades, mostly B or B+, yet I seem to have forgotten all the rules. Message boards like this are contributing to my laziness because who cares, really. So, I do think DL will hurt your writing.

by Anonymousreply 801/09/2013

Have no fear, dear OP. We will be glad to correct your bad grammar and atrocious writing.

by Anonymousreply 901/09/2013

I agree. Not so much in regard to Datalounge, because many posters here use interesting vocabulary and good sentence structure (and where else would I have learned about the horrors of Mt. Everest!). There are other forums I read where many of the posters are non-native English speakers.

They sometimes can sometimes communicate clearly in English, but then other times they use weird words and grammar which literally makes my head hurt. Then they always so "I'm sorry, English is not my first language" and then all the lame Americans say "Oh, you speak English better than MOST AMERICANS" (which is so very untrue, but Americans like to say that to non-native speakers to make them feel better). However, non-native speakers (i.e. the smug Dutch) believe that it's the truth and then proclaim themselves the TRUE MASTERS OF THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE ("Because, after all, Franz, I was told by an American that I speak the English better than they!")

by Anonymousreply 1001/09/2013

[quote]I never know if to put a period inside or outside quotes... Message boards like this are contributing to my laziness because who cares, really.

Al contrario, mi amor. DataLounge is Ground Zero for the period-inside-or-outside-the-quotes debate.

by Anonymousreply 1101/09/2013

or they will say "we learn English the way the English speak it, you Americans speak dialects and don't even know your own grammar" and other smugness.

by Anonymousreply 1201/09/2013

[quote]So I am face with the following dilemma.

by Anonymousreply 1301/09/2013

take vitamin D, it will clear up your face

by Anonymousreply 1401/09/2013

[quote]Message boards like this are contributing to my laziness because who cares, really.

R8, the only thing that matters is whether [italic]you[/italic] care. Set your own standards high & be sure to meet them every time (or at least try very hard to do so, no excuses). As the original Japanese Iron Chefs used to say: "I do my best!".

by Anonymousreply 1501/09/2013

[quote]So we know that reading improves writing.

Either an incomplete sentence, or you meant to start the sentence with 'we'.

by Anonymousreply 1601/09/2013

The writing on DL is streets ahead of the dross on many boards. DLers can be witty and challenging.

Read good books and blogs as well as this one.

by Anonymousreply 1701/09/2013

[quote]Did posting on DL do any damage to your writing abilities?

Your on to something. I useta be a good writer but now I'm knot so good.

by Anonymousreply 1801/09/2013

Did thay hand out a bunch of free Primetimers passes on the short bus again?

by Anonymousreply 1901/09/2013

well i personally would like to apologize for all of us dl'ers who don't use the queen's english when posting. fucking grammar queens.

by Anonymousreply 2001/09/2013

Enough already, OP. Two troll threads, same subject = automatic failure.

by Anonymousreply 2101/09/2013

I think there are three threads about this

by Anonymousreply 2201/09/2013

OP, you should tell us more. Why do you feel your writing needs improvement? I agree with the poster that said you won't find many sites that have the grammatical standards of DL. This is actually a good place to get feedback about your writing. Apparently we have a vast number of posters here who write extensively in their professions. People reach out to the grammar trolls all time.

by Anonymousreply 2301/09/2013

Many posters write English quite well.

Sum don't.

If your command of the language is pretty good, hanging out here isn't going to make that go downhill.

by Anonymousreply 2401/09/2013

by Anonymousreply 2501/09/2013

I can smell his cheap shoes!

by Anonymousreply 2601/09/2013

You haven't seen much of the rest of the internet, have you darling?

Seriously, the writing on the Datalounge is far above average, probably because we scare away the teenagers.

by Anonymousreply 2701/09/2013

PPSM showed up as the other drag queen, helenbedd, faded away. It would be nice to hit a filter button that would keep any of their posts from showing up.

by Anonymousreply 2801/09/2013

OP is Tig Notaro. The highly uneducated,Notaro, has been commissioned by Harper Collins to write a book about her one month cancer struggle. No joke. Google it. Girlfriend predicted she wouldn't lose her hair before surgery, though she claimed the doctors told her she was dying and she needed chemo since this "advanced cancer" had spread to her lymph nodes. Is it possible to be cured of cancer after just a masectomy, when you are diagnosed with advanced stage 2 bilateral breast cancer at age 41? I keep getting told that she is lying, but it seems impossible to believe that anyone could lie about something like that (even if they are chronic liars to begin with.)

Since the cowardly webmaster allows himself to be bullied by the notorious Lavely and Singer law firm and Marty Singer(google a blog called dirty secrets for a small idea) and has deleted the " Tig Notaro is the lesbian shit girl" post, I'll post this here on Tig's thread.

by Anonymousreply 2901/09/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!