Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Navel-Gazing Article by Elizabeth Wurtzel in New York Magazine Incites Rage

Think she was insufferable before? Well, check her out now! (The comments are soooo much fun.)

by Anonymousreply 4601/13/2013

I don't get it. How was this Maria able to just barge in and be crazy?

And if her cousin had such a bad experience, why did she sublet from her?

by Anonymousreply 101/09/2013

Maria kept a spare key, r1. And when Wurtzel heard about Crazy Maria from her cousin, she probably thought "potential material" rather than "scary person to avoid."

by Anonymousreply 201/09/2013

I actually enjoyed that Christina Ricci adaptation of Wurtzel's memoir.

by Anonymousreply 301/09/2013

It's fascinating how she makes this woman Maria at the beginning of the article so evil--clearly, if you know anything about Elizabeth Wurtzel you know she has borderline personality disorder, which means she's prone to demonizing people who are close to her if they let her down some way. So I would bet it's likely this Maria is just a normal person and not the anti-Christ Wurtzel portrays.

by Anonymousreply 401/10/2013

The whole "Maria" thing seems suspicious.

The cops said they will arrest her if she goes back into the apartment when she is subletting? There's a whole lotta drama we aren't privy to here.

I admit, I didn't read the entire article. It just went on and on. Living with intent. WTF does that even mean?

Wurtzel is looking like a washed up stripper.

by Anonymousreply 501/10/2013

Drivel. First half, she sounds like a broke struggling writer? But seems like she is a working attorney as midway thru the piece she reveals David Boies.

And poor her! Maria stole her Birkin bag.

by Anonymousreply 601/10/2013

She can barely even muster up outrage on DL.

She's over.

by Anonymousreply 701/11/2013

Actually, her article sounds like something I might write (except mine would be male, gay and live in the UK, be shorter and have some kind of reason to it)

But why on earth would *anyone* write something like that? - and, more to the point, have it published???

by Anonymousreply 801/11/2013

Poor Lizzie. The world has tired of her self-absorption, which is the only interest she has.

by Anonymousreply 901/11/2013

Her ego is TOWERING!

" Men I was involved with long ago—more than one of them—have turned up after a whole marriage and kids and being so sure they knew what life was for to tell me they were wrong to let me go. Which is funny. "

by Anonymousreply 1001/11/2013

She needs to get some.EW has too much time on her hands.

by Anonymousreply 1101/11/2013

She's lied for decades for her living. She's just happened to avoid the James Frey trend of detection.

No one really takes her seriously.

by Anonymousreply 1201/11/2013

Except herself and her 1020 facebook friends

by Anonymousreply 1301/11/2013

[post by racist shit-stain # 2 removed.]

by Anonymousreply 1501/11/2013

Was fired by David Boies. Neglects to mention that in the piece. Would be interesting all these years later to go through her collected works and look for fabrications and plagiarism. But just saying that I've already lost interest in doing it. I just hope she doesn't start collecting cans and bottles in my neighborhood.

by Anonymousreply 1601/11/2013

That takes narcissism to a whole new level. Sadly, I don't think she even understands why that would be.

by Anonymousreply 1701/11/2013

I didn't think it was possible to make a biopic about a mentally ill woman so entirely uninteresting. The Ricci film was awful, mainly because Wurtzel was totally unlikeable as a character.

by Anonymousreply 1801/11/2013

She's hilariously narcissistic. After the Oklahoma City bombing, she wrote: "I've never been much interested in terrorism. It seems like someone else's problem. The victims of Timothy McVeigh start to really irritate me."

by Anonymousreply 1901/11/2013

They parodied her to death after 'Prozac Nation'. I thought she'd disappear.

by Anonymousreply 2001/11/2013

[quote] She's hilariously narcissistic. After the Oklahoma City bombing, she wrote: "I've never been much interested in terrorism. It seems like someone else's problem. The victims of Timothy McVeigh start to really irritate me."

I would call her a cunt, but I don't want to offend cunts.

by Anonymousreply 2101/11/2013

Is this the woman who said something quite tasteless about 9/11 just a couple years after? Wasn't there was outrage all over and on "DL" about the comments?

by Anonymousreply 2201/11/2013

I don't know much about this lady, but she sounds amazingly awful. More stories, please - the person who wrote that never-ending tripe must be some kind of a sociopath.

by Anonymousreply 2301/11/2013

[quote] Was fired by David Boies

Why?

by Anonymousreply 2401/11/2013

A post at a law blog about her firing/resignation:

by Anonymousreply 2501/11/2013

I knew Elizabeth Wurtzel in college--she wasn't living in my dorm (Adams House), but she spent a lot of time there because her friends lived there, and since I was friends with some of those people too I'd wind up spending a little bit of time around her (though we mostly ignored each other despite our friends in common).

She was infamous among even her own crowd for being a horrible person and for doing anything imaginable to sleep her way "upwards": if she saw any heterosexual guy as prestigious or desirable in the eyes of her friends, she would try to get into his pants. I remember after college being at a birthday party with her in Greenwich Village in 1991 where Ethan Hawke was also in attendance, and she followed him hungrily from room to room like a dingo stalking a wounded antelope.

I've never read any of her books, but when the film of "Prozac Nation" came out, I saw it mostly because Harvard allowed it to be filmed on part on its campus (something it does not allow often). I was surprised how basically they got the character of Elizabeth down pretty well in the film. Her problem is that she has borderline personality disorder, which means she's very melodramatic and manipulative and narcissistic. The film showed what I remembered: though she would try to maneuver her friends to do what she liked (sometimes nastily or cruelly), they would always see through her, and then either abandon her or just feel sorry for her.

This business with the flatmate Maria in the article seems like classic BPD behavior--what they refer to as "splitting." I'm sure at one point she treated Maria like her best friend in the world.

by Anonymousreply 2601/11/2013

Really? I like her and there's a lot of stuff in that article that hits close to home as a gay man who was unable to compromise -- I can't be the only one. Most would be terrified to admit some of what she writes there.

And the comments below are rather mixed too, not the bashing I was expecting. She may have issues but she's honest, at least, and that's what gave her that niche as a writer.

by Anonymousreply 2701/11/2013

Here's her perspective on 9/11:

“I had not the slightest emotional reaction. I thought: ‘This is a really strange art project.’ It was a most amazing sight in terms of sheer elegance. It fell like water. It just slid, like a turtleneck going over someone’s head…I just felt, like, everyone was overreacting. People were going on about it. That part really annoyed me.”

(She said this in 2001, delaying the release of Prozac Nation film.)

by Anonymousreply 2801/11/2013

Were her parents especially prominent? She doesn't seem that talented.

by Anonymousreply 2901/11/2013

After her horribly reviewed book "Bitch" came out, she was interviewed on NPR--the following exchange took place when she took callers:

Random Caller: "Hello. I just want to say that I find it deeply offensive that your publisher and this radio network are presenting you as the voice of feminism, apparently on the merits of your appearance and connections. Your book is, if anything, anti-feminism, and the writing's so bad it reads as though it was written on speed."

Wurtzel: "It was written on speed."

[uncomfortable silence]

by Anonymousreply 3001/11/2013

"Thinks her shit doesn't stink." -- Gore Vidal

by Anonymousreply 3101/11/2013

r 28, she is perfectly describing the interior state of a sociopath, as put forth up thread. The BPD is the tip of the iceberg.

by Anonymousreply 3201/11/2013

She has an attention-seeking, confessional persona. Has Wurtzel ever commented about her BPD?

by Anonymousreply 3301/12/2013

Is that a picture of Wurtzel or a Summer's Eve ad at the top of her endless screed?

Godawful piece - oh it all went wrong because she's so fucking pure of heart, that's all. That's why it *always* goes wrong.

Her Purity. Her Honesty. Her Exhaustion. Her Ability to See the Truth When Everyone Else Is So Stupid.

Jesus. Any chance of this cunt ODing soon?

by Anonymousreply 3401/12/2013

It's her current FB profile photo.

by Anonymousreply 3501/12/2013

Thank you, R35, Summer's Eve should give her a call. She's a perfect douche ad.

by Anonymousreply 3601/12/2013

She looks like a stripper who has smoked for 25 years.

by Anonymousreply 3701/12/2013

She is.

by Anonymousreply 3801/12/2013

I'm torn.

On one hand, I went through similar stuff in my twenties.

On the other hand, I outgrew that shit in my early thirties and now I find her exhausting.

by Anonymousreply 3901/12/2013

Oh I love the reaction to the NY mag article on Jezebel

by Anonymousreply 4001/12/2013

If she was fired from the Dallas Morning News for plagarism, why is she afforded relevancy? And at 45, she's menopausal. This is embarrassing driven coming from a middle-aged Jewish woman.

by Anonymousreply 4101/12/2013

That blog post about her firing is pretty sycophantic.

by Anonymousreply 4201/12/2013

I picture Elizabeth asking Maria for all sorts of favors and accomodations, and Maria giving and giving and giving...

Then finally goes inside the apt to see that Elizabeth has fucking trashed it, broken the dishes, scraped the floors, stained the rugs, burnt tiny holes in the couch, etc. etc. etc.

Maria is probably like: I'm going to fucking kill you bitch!

Elizabeth then proceeds to write this column presenting Maria as a stalker who had NO REASON WHATSOEVER to be so angry at her tenant.

Bitch, please. I can't imagine anyone that would want to kill you more than your landlord.

by Anonymousreply 4301/12/2013

She has terrible skin, large pores and acne scars.

by Anonymousreply 4401/12/2013

I wonder what Maria's last name is.

I have a hunch it starts with E and ends with H.

by Anonymousreply 4501/13/2013

Penguin recently sued her for collecting a $33K advance on a book she never delivered to them.

by Anonymousreply 4601/13/2013
Need more help? Click Here.